Since 1968 the Upson Historical Society has collected and preserved items of local history. Members organized an archives in a small courthouse room in 1987 providing researchers access to newspapers, early government records, and genealogical files. Before long it became apparent that a larger and more efficient facility was needed.
In 1994, the Society's efforts, with the cooperation and funding assistance of the City of Thomaston, the County of Upson, and the Thomaston-Upson Board of Education, resulted in the establishment of the present facility.
The Thomaston-Upson Archives is housed in the former R. E. Lee Institute high school library, named the George A. Harrison Memorial Library. Professor Harrison was principal of R. E. Lee Institute from 1879-1886.
Visit the website of the Thomaston-Upson Archives for specific information to find out more about its holdings and collections, visiting information, and available researchers.