This guide provides information on the location, history and visiting policies of some of Thomaston's historical buildings, with special attention to their architectural design. Queen Anne (Harp House), Neo-classical (Atwater House), Classical (Barron House), and Georgian Revival (Hotel Upson), are just a few of the architectural styles that can be found throughout Thomaston.
Many of these buildings, noted in red, are public and can be entered by the general public. Private residences are noted in black.
800 South Church Street
Second oldest house in Thomaston, dating from about 1833 with later additions. It was originally located on N. Church Street, but was moved in 1968 to its present location by the Upson Historical Society to save it from demolition. It contains furniture and artifacts illuminating the lives of earlier generations, and is open to visitors by arrangement. Write the webmaster at least a week before the proposed date of your visit to set up an appointment. In your e-mail, please include your name, telephone number, and desired time. Your email
message will be passed on to those in charge.
460 Cedar Row
This shotgun house, the home of Frances Walker for 70 years, was moved from the African-American Bethel Street community to its present location. It contains furniture and artifacts illustrating the lives of African-Americans in Thomaston. Open from 1 pm on Saturday and Sunday afternoons beginning April 14. Otherwise it will be opened by arrangement. Write the
webmaster at least a week before the proposed date with
your name, telephone number, and desired time. Your email message
will be passed on to those in charge.
311 S. Center Street
Constructed about 1913 in the Colonial Revival style for the Britt family who were involved in Thomaston's large livestock business. Now owned by Grace Primitive Baptist Church.
Old First Methodist Church
120 East Lee Street
The Methodists were the first religious denomination to establish themselves in Thomaston, constructing their fist building by 1828. This structure dates from 1888-89 and is Gothic Revival in design. Currently the Cathedral of St. Michael & All Angels Charismatic Episcopal Church.
R.E. Lee Institute
250 East Lee Street
Chartered in 1875 as the Thomaston High School, the name was changed in 1882. Particularly in its first 50 years, the school was both a focus of community pride for its high academic standards and the locus of community togetherness as its buildings provided the space for community activities of all types. This Neo-classical structure, dating back to 1910, was reconstructed in 1922 following a severe fire. It is now used as the city and county office complex.
Oldest burial ground in the City of Thomaston; graves date from as early as 1832. The Methodist Church was once located on part of the present grounds.
R.E. Hightower, Sr. House
205 S. Hightower Street
Built about 1910 as the residence of the R.E. Hightower family. Mr. Hightower was the manager and controlling stockholder in Thomaston Cotton Mills, which had been established in 1899. The house design was influenced by the Craftsman style. Private Residence.
505 Stewart Avenue
An 1830 plat shows a house on this property. This is among the oldest houses in Thomaston and is a vernacular version of the Classical styles of its day. Note the exterior and chimneys. Long associated with the Barron family. Private residence.
205 S. Bethel Street
Believed to be the oldest house in Thomaston, parts of the house date from the 1820s. In 1840, Judge T.A.D. Weaver purchased the property and constructed the house essentially as it stands today. The design is influenced by Classical Revival and Federal styles popular in that era. Private residence.
211 N. Hightower Street
Thomaston's only remaining example of a Mansard Cottage, this house was built in 1881. The original house was constructed for Fielding Sanders Rucker, a lawyer. Thomas J. Reeves purchased it in 1918 and made additions. Private residence.
206 Barnesville Street
Built in 1880 for W.A. Harp, a prominent Thomaston merchant. This is one of the two finest examples of Queen Anne architecture existing in Thomaston. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Currently a photo business.
St. Mary's AME Church
605 N. Hightower Street
Constructed in 1905 by the oldest black Methodist congregation in Thomaston, which was founded in 1867. Distinctive for its rounded corner steeple.
Thomaston Mills and East Thomaston
Founded in 1899 Thomaston Cotton Mills became the largest employer in Upson County, producing cotton products. East Thomaston Mill Village was a separate municipality from the City of Thomaston until it was annexed in 1970.
Martha Mill and Silvertown
Although built by Thomaston Mills in 1926, Martha Mill was sold to B.F. Goodrich Tire and Rubber Company of Akron, Ohio in 1929. Silvertown, the mill village associated with this mill, became incorporated in 1929, and was separate from the City of Thomaston until annexed in 1958. Earle S. Draper, a renowned landscape architect, designed the mill village. Robert and Co. of Atlanta designed the mill and mill housing.
Upson County Courthouse
Built in 1908 for $60,000.00. Designed in the Neo-classical style by the Washington, D.C. architectural firm of Frank P. Milburn & Co. Houses the courts and county offices. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
112-114 S. Church Street
Erected in 1927 in the Mission style, the facade was altered in the 1930's to its present Art Deco Design. Building also houses a cafe, two stores, and offices on the second floor. Interior recently refurbished for moviegoers' comfort.
200 S. Church Street
Built in 1928 for $150,000.00 according to plans heavily influenced by the Biltmore in Atlanta. Georgian Revival style. When originally opened, said to be the only "thoroughly modern" hotel between Macon, Atlanta, Albany and Columbus. For sale.
First Baptist Church
208 S. Church Street
Built in 1920-21 in the Georgian Revival Style, next door to its Victorian predecessor. The Baptist Church in Thomaston was established at Bethesda in 1825, but a chapel was not constructed in town until about 1839.
201-203 S. Center Street
Dating from 1873, this is the oldest existing bulding in downtown Thomaston. Always containing two store spaces on the first floor, the second floor was originally hotel rooms before being converted to offices in the early 20th century. Present home of the Thomaston-Upson Chamber of Commerce, and Thomaston-Upson Arts Council.
U.S. Post Office
103 East Thompson Street
Built in 1933 by the federal government as a WPA project. Designed by James A. Wetmore in the Georgian Revival Style. Previously post offices in Thomaston were located in stores and leased commercial buildings at various downtown locations.
Central Georgia Railroad Depot
218 N. Center Street
Built in the 1920s by the Central of Georgia Railroad, replacing an earlier frame structure. Served both passengers and freight.
Dr. W.A. Womble House
310 W. Thompson Street
Constructed around the turn of the century for Dr. Worth Anderson Womble, who later moved to San Antonio. This is one of the two best remaining examples of Queen Anne style in Thomaston. Private residence.
317 West Main Street
Constructed in 1920 by J.W. McDaniel, this exceptionally fine example of the Neo-classical style was for many years the home of the James R. Atwater family. Atwater was a banker and successful Thomaston businessman. Private residence.
318 West Main Streetr
Constructed about 1912 in the Colonial Revival style for L.A. Crawford, a local livery man and livestock dealer. Thomaston was noted for its large volume of livestock sales in early 20th century. Private residence.
327 W. Main Street
Originally built in 1883 by John Gibson, a rural mail carrier, but greatly expanded in 1913 by Frank Garner of the Garner-Nelson Lumber Company. Presently a restaurant.
403 W.Gordon Street
403 W. Gordon Street
Dating from around the turn of the 20th century, this house is a good, though modest example of Queen Anne design typical of the late Victorial period. Now used as a physician's office.
This guide is an updated and modified version of a brochure published by the Downtown Thomaston Business Association. We thank the Association for permission to use their material.