Early Settlers of
Their Descendants...Their Stories...Their Achievements
Lifting the Mists of History on Their Way of Life
By: Ethelene Dyer Jones
Pvt. Quiller Frank Reece (1843-1932)
Civil War - Confederacy
6th Georgia Cavalry, Company F.
Quiller Frank Reece (4.20.1843 – 10.13.1932) was the second of ten children born to William “Billy” Reece and Mary “Sarry” Daniel Reece. As the second child and first son, Quiller held a responsible position in his parents’ household, for he helped to provide leadership and example for his older sister Sarah Elizabeth and the eight other children born into that Reece family.
This marriage was after the Civil War,
after Quiller had performed his duties as a soldier in the Confederacy
in the 6th
Georgia Cavalry, Company F, Hart’s Battalion, Smith’s Legion. When the men signed up for service for three
years, they had to furnish their own horse.
Commanding officers of Reece’s Company F were not Georgians, and
not listed in the roster of those who served from
Although Quiller Frank Reece’s wife’s
name was listed in the
Frank Quiller and Eliza Logan Reece
had a very large family, sixteen children, twelve of whom lived to
adulthood. Quiller Frank was primarily a
farmer by occupation, but he no doubt pursued other trades to bring in
money to rear his large family. They were Methodists by denomination
faithful members of the
A listing of the sixteen children of Quiller Frank and Elizabeth Clarica Adelia Logan Reece follows:
(1) William Drury Reece (02.22.1868) married Roxie Potts.
(2) Mary Rachael Rowena Reece (10.06.1869) married John S. McDonald.
(3) Martha Elizabeth Jane Reece (06.22.1871) married William J. Jackson.
(4) James Roberson Reece (07.21.1873) married Millie Henson.
(5) Thomas Joseph Hughes Reece (12.05.1875) married L. Henrietta Gardner.
(6) Eli Josiah Reece (04.02.1878) married Sallie Luella Stephens.
(7) John Henry Reece (03.27.1880) married Nellie I. Self.
(8) Francis Allen Reece (08. 25. 1881 – 11.01.1881).
(9) Simon Edward Reece (11.14.1882) married Fleta Belle Colwell.
(10) Charles Logan Reece (12.20.1883) married Louise Jane Davis.
(11) Frank Wellborn Reece (03.05.1885) married Sarah Ann Ledford.
(12) Richard Marvin Reece (04.23.1886) married Hailie C. Grendle.
(13) Mintie Della Reece (06.30.1888 – 07.? 1888)
(14) Baby Boy Reece (twin – b/d 07.18.1890)
(15) Baby Boy Reece (twin – b/d 07.18.1890).
(16) Alice Eliza Louise Reece (01.23.1893) married Olin Hayes.
In looking over the list of Frank
Quiller and Elizabeth Clarica Adelia Logan Reece’s twelve adult
who they married, it is easy to see how these descendants of the early
settlers married into families of other early settlers.
Several of these Reece-connected families
Back To Union County, Georgia GenWeb Site