WALTON COUNTY
About Walton County
This Free Genealogy Site is maintained by:  Bettie Wood  <><


Located east Atlanta, Georgia

Walton County was little more than a wilderness, formed of lands that had belonged to the Creek and Cherokee Indians,
when it was first organized by the state legislature 18 December 1818.  (*created from Creek cession of 22 JAN 1818,
an original county)*.  Created by the Lottery Act of 1818, Walton County was orgainized in 1819, after being released in
a treaty negotiated at the Cherokee Agency in Tennessee on 08 July 1817.   At it's fomration, Walton County had a 394
square mile area that was increased when 250 acres of Jackson County was annexed on 19 Dec 1818.

This new county, Georgia's 46th county, was named for George WALTON, who along with fellow Georgians, Button
Gwinnett and Lyman Hall, signed the Declaration of Independence. George WALTON also served as governor of
Georgia and was a U.S. senator.

Walton County was populated by the Georgia Land lotteries, beginning with the 3rd or 1820 Lottery (standard 250 acres
lots of the newly organized Walton County).

Some of the communities in Walton County have very interesting names. Between, a town, was named by a postmaster
because it was halfway between Monroe and Loganville. Social Circle was possibly named for the first group of settlers,
who considered themselves a social circle and often passed around a jug of spirits. The largest festival in Walton County is
Monroe's Crepe Myrtle Festival, held in September .

Today, Walton County boasts a population of more than 42,000. The county is centrally located midway between Atlanta
and Athens, Ga. The county's seat is Monroe, which has a population of about 11,000, and is home to the refurbished
county courthouse that has drawn visitors and admirers from across the South. Other cities in Walton include Loganville,
one of the fastest-growing cities in the state, which is currently home to about 3,700 residents. Social Circle (3,000 residents)
is known throughout the region for its stately ante-bellum homes and Blue Willow In restaurant.