Warren County History
History at Georgia Encyclopedia
More History at
Chamber of Commerce Site
White's Historical Collections 1854
Early Politicians of Warren County
Historical Markers Warren
was established on December 19, 1793 by an act of the Georgia
General Assembly, and was created from parts of Columbia, Washington, and
Wilkes counties. Georgia's 20th county was named for Revolutionary War
hero, General Joseph Warren, who was killed in the Battle of Bunker Hill.
The 1793 act creating Warren County provided that a
courthouse was built, courts would meet in the house of James McCormick.
By 1797 no courthouse had been constructed, so the General Assembly directed
that county courts meet at the house of Sterling Gardner (Ga. Laws 1796,
p.7). An act of February 9, 1797 designated a lot on Gardner's plantation
as the permanent county seat of Warren County (Ga. Laws 1797, p.34). This
lot became the town of Warrenton, which the General Assembly incorporated on
December 8, 1810 (Ga. Laws 1810, p.39).
The county has three municipalities; the largest of which is Warrenton, the
county seat.; The other two communities are Camak and Norwood. Camak
was named for James Camak, a newspaper editor in Athens and the first president
of the Georgia Railroad.
Warren County claims to have had the first Rural Free Delivery system,
initiated in 1868 by several farmers near Norwood. The six men hired someone to
deliver the mail to their farms in return for room and board.
The above picture is not the present Warren County Courthouse.
It was built about 1910 and is an example
of Neoclassical Revival architecture. It was designed by Walter
Chamberlain. Warren County's first courthouse was allegedly erected in 1809 and
served for a century until it was destroyed by fire and replaced by the 1910 courthouse.
The county seat, Warrenton, was also named for General Joseph Warren, and was
designated the county seat in 1797 and incorporated on December 8, 1810.
In 1857, Glascock County was created entirely from Warren
County (Ga. Laws 1857, p.35). Also, portions of Warren County were used to
create Jefferson County (1796), Taliaferro County (1825), and McDuffie County
b. June 11, 1741; d. June 17, 1775
Hero of the Battle of Bunker Hill, Joseph Warren dispatched Paul Revere on
his famous ride. He was a physician and American patriot, born in Roxbury, Massachusetts, and
was educated at Harvard College. Following the passage of the Stamp Act in
1765, he became a leader of the anti-British party. In 1774 Warren took
part in drafting the Suffolk Resolves, which urged forcible opposition to Great
Britain. Warren was a member of the first three provincial congresses of
Massachusetts, was president of the third, and was a prominent member of the
Committee of Public Safety. He also served as Grand Master of Freemasons for
North America. He became a major general on June 14, 1775, during the
American Revolution, and three days later he was killed in the Battle of Bunker
The population of Warren County in the year 2000 was
The population of Warrenton was 2,013.
Warren County is 286.8 square miles in total area size.
Return to Warren County Georgia Home Page