This GAGenWeb county is available for adoption Home | Contact Us | Search

Jackson Baptist Church History

Source: Amanda Logue & Darlene Bussell 2003


Jackson's Baptist Church was established in 1826. In 1818, members of Jordan's Meeting House started a mission work or Sunday School in the area where Jacksons Baptist church is located. Their meeting place was a log structure previously used as a schoolhouse. In 1826, ten members petitioned Jordan's for letters of dismissal so that they could start a church. Jackson's Baptist Church was constituted on 15 April 1826. William R. Stancil was the first pastor and served until 1828. The church first joined the Hepzibah Baptist Association, but in 1828, was among a number of Baptist churches who formed the Washington Association. In 1859, Jackson's helped organize, then joined the Mt. Vernon Association. In 1847, a new wood framed building was constructed. A third structure was erected in 1889. The present building was constructed in 1923 with funds given by Chas. H. Sheppard for that purpose. In 1910, an elementary school was erected on the church property and operated until 1924. Jackson's Baptist church is located on Highway 242 between Sandersville and Riddleville.

This Page was Created July 2008 | Last Modified Saturday, 26-Jul-2014 12:48:09 MDT