This GAGenWeb county is available for adoption Home | Contact Us | Search

Harrison Community

Harrison was named in 1883 for Mr. Green B. Harrison, who gave the right of way for the Wrightsville-Tennille Railroad. Eventually, a town sprang up around the railroad. Mr. Harrison, who was once a wealthy farmer, became Harrison's first mayor as well as a railroad agent and director.

In 1884, a church was constituted. In 1885, a post office was established. In 1895, land was donated for a school building. A sawmill and planer mill were operated by Mr. G.W. Perkins until 1900.

In 1906, Harrison was a thriving community consisting of a drugstore, doctors offices, a dry goods store, mercantile, sawmill, gristmill, telephone exchange, barber shop and hotel. At one point in the early 1900s, Harrison even had it's own band.

The appearance of the boll weevil led to Harrison's decline. Today, only about 500 people reside in Harrison.

This Page was Created July 2008 | Last Modified Sunday, 02-Sep-2012 06:54:44 MDT