The village of Hoslau is located on a hill barely 2 km to the west of Ronsperg. It was first mentioned in 1528, but almost certainly existed much earlier, because it formerly belonged to the holdings of the castle Hirschstein. In 1789 the village was mentioned as “Haslau” by the chronicler Schaller. Then there were 22 house numbers. In 1839 Hoslau was still attached to the dominion Bischofteinitz and had 25 houses with 175 German inhabitants. Sommer reported that a quarter of an hour south-east of Hoslau was located the “Einschichte(1) Poppelmühle” at the brook “Zeisermühlbach”, which consisted of a grinding mill with three Gängen(2); a paper-mill and a Spiegelschleife(3). In 1913 Karl Liebscher, in his book Heimatkunde für Amtsbezirk Bischofteinitz(4), mentions that there were 23 house numbers and 145 residents. In the village of Hoslau at that time there was a chapel and nearby was a Jewish cemetery.
At this time, attached to the village Hoslau were the “Paradeismühle”(5), the paper-mill; the “Poppelmühle” (a glass-mill and a house); and the “Wutzenmühle”(6). The following businesses were in Hoslau: a beer-parlor; two millers; a shinglemaker; a smithy; an inn, and a cigar shop. In 1937 the size of the boundary of Hoslau was 298,87 ha(7); which could be divided in 156,82 ha fields; 65,47 ha meadows; 17,89 ha pastureland; 43,33 ha wood, and 1,76 ha gardens.
In 1930 Hoslau had 145 residents and in 1939 there were 123 residents and 33 households. There were 30 houses. The village Hoslau had no other society besides the volunteer fire brigade. The volunteer fire brigade was founded in 1928 and the community possessed a fire-engine. When this fire engine was no longer useful, a new motor fire engine with a truck was purchased. In August 1930, when the Gründungsfest was celebrated, the new fire engine was blessed. In the same year the innkeeper Heinl tore down his old house and built a new inn with a hall which was first used by the fire brigade as a festival hall.
In 1939 there was a quarry in the wood “Butterbergl” in which stones were crushed daily, filling about 10 trucks. Hoslau also had a water line which led from the “Hütwiese”(8) into the village and was built in the years 1939 - 1940. In the middle of the village was a well which was 22 m deep, from which the water was lifted up by a pump.
In former times our village was attached to the parish of Berg. The children had to go to school in Berg also. Attached to the parish of Berg were Berg; Trohatin; Natschetin; Schilligkau; Schiefernau; Weißmühle, and the “Einöde(9) Latschner”.
Later the village was attached to the parish and school of Ronsperg.
Despite this, every year until the expulsion, the feast of Saint Wenceslas was celebrated in Hoslau on 28 September. Often visitors, mostly from Münchsdorf or Ronsperg, came to our feast. It was always very much fun and the village band from Natschetin played lively melodies for dancing. The beer from the Stockau brewery was delicious.
Before the expulsion, Hoslau had about 30 house numbers with 117 residents. There were 12 full farmers, 2 small farmers, a smith, an innkeeper, 3 millers, 2 Schleifen(10). There was also a house for the manager and a parish hall.
In World War I Hoslau had to grieve nine fallen soldiers; in World War II there were four.
(1) Einschichte = wilderness, desolate place. Austrian word for German: Einöde.
(2) Gänge = Mahlgänge. A Mahlgang consisted of two mill stones which grinded e.g. grain to flour. The bedstone was stationary, above was a turning runner stone.
(3) Water mill where glass was cut to mirrors
(4) Translated in English: Local history and geography for the administrative district of Bischofteinitz
(5) name of the mill
(6) name of the mill
(7) 1 ha (Hektar) = 100 a (Ar); 1 a (Ar) = 100 m²
(8) Hütwiese = meadow where cattle was herded
(10) Schleife: mill where glass was cut