The village Natschetin was located on a hill in the southern part of the parish Berg and was an arid Runddorf(1) without a brook. Liebscher quoted that a certain Prschedota of Natschetin was mentioned in 1185, while Dr. Ernst Richter only found evidence for the first mentioning of the village in documents in 1512. Natschetin was linked with the villages Berg, Hoslau, and Trohatin to the owner of the castle Hirschstein before it became a part of the Herrschaft(2) Bischofteinitz.
In 1587 the village had 16 farms in the Urbar(3) of the Herrschaft Teinitz. Since then the Hofname(4) “Schwab”(5) was located here until 1946. We can read further in the Urbar that the residents of Trohatin had to mow the front meadow below the city Teinitz and to harvest the hay. The residents of Natschetin had to help them in this. Furthermore, both villages were obliged to cut, bind, and bring together the ripe grain of three fields in the vicinity of the Teinitzer Hof.
In 1789 Natschetin had 20 house numbers. In 1838 there were 22 houses with 218 German residents, and it was part of the parish of Berg. In 1913 there were 28 house numbers and 201 residents. In 1939 there were 30 houses and 118 residents, including 5 houses of the “Einschichte(6) Latschner”.
In the village there was an inn, a village forge, a shop, a shoemaker, a linen-weaver, a cigar store and, until the twenties, also a brickworks and two band-masters. In Natschetin there also were some brick-layers; carpenters; a joiner; a Cartwright; a painter; and an egg and butter dealer. There were also some bee-keepers in Natschetin because the yield of honey in the surrounding area was good nearly every year. The boundaries of Natschetin as a whole had an area of 263,47 ha(7), which could be divided into 154,66 ha fields; 49,90 ha meadows; 14,54 ha pastureland; and 30,99 ha wood.
Just as in most villages of the Heimatkreis Bischofteinitz, the agriculture in Natschetin was the real basis for making a living. The two bands, Rothmeier (Bina) and Rothmeyer (Blasch), existed since 1870, and were sought after for all festivities in villages far and near. Ed note: It was reported that the bands from Natschetin played as far away as the spa cites of Karlsbad and Marienbad in north-eastern Bohemia.
In World War I Natschetin supplied 17 soldiers. One soldier was killed. In World
War II there were 28 soldiers from Natschetin under arms and 9 of them were killed.
Until the turn of the century 1899/1900, Natschetin and Trohatin formed one political community.
Until the turn of the century (1900) much sheep-breeding was still was done in Natschetin.
As a “Hütplatz,(8)” the wasteland of the community towards Latschen was used where later the brickworks (Stierwiese)(9) was built. Latschen was a local part of Natschetin, about 300 m apart from the village. There were six houses: a full farmer, two small farmers, and three cottagers.
In 1905 the village built a brick-works (with manual operation). At this time a busy building activity began in Natschetin. Every year new houses were created, farm houses with a length of 20-25 m. The villages around also had the incentive to build more houses because of the favourable prices for bricks. There were lines of vehicles waiting for the opening of the brick-kiln as early as 3 o’clock in the morning.
After World War I everywhere there were many people out of work. Then the community of Natschetin decided to go into road building. From the district road above Trohatin to the border of the community Natschetin the community built the street as well as the little bridge over the run “Wiesenbächlein”(10). In 1926 the road from Natschetin to Schiefernau was built to the border of the village. Schiefernau also had some financial share at the section of the road of Natschetin. The community of Schiefernau then continued building the street on its own to the middle of the village.
While the road was being built the Grecha chapel was torn down and built anew on the footpath towards Latschen. The master builder was the architect Georg Schröpfer from Ronsperg. In 1931 the brick works in Natschetin was shut down.
The community of Natschetin was attached to the parish of Berg where the church and school were located. There were so many children in the Berg school that at the turn of century and also for some years folowing there were three classes. But after schools were built in Schilligkau and also in Trohatin, the school in Berg once again had two classes. The children from Berg, Natschetin and Schiefernau then still went to the elementary school in Berg. In some years there were still 80 children and more. At that time there was a big shortage of fuel, and the teaching at school was suspended for two winters from November to March.
In 1929 in Natschetin the power supply system was built and the village was electrified. Before this the threshing machines were powered by the whim. In a short time most farmers switched to electricity and in the village then there were 14 threshing machines, and also straw balers.
The volunteer fire brigade in Natschetin was founded in 1908. There were 25 active firemen in the society. At that time there were still hand drawn fire engines. In the summer of 1934 the 25th jubilee of the foundation was celebrated.
The community Natschetin owned a considerable amount of property. The rent for cottagers was low. For a small community, Natschetin had much wooded area. The use of the Streurechen(11) was not restricted. Natschetin employed its own forest-keeper.
In October 1945 the Czechs took over the possessions of the farmers of Natschetin. Many families voluntarily fled and crossed the border because arrest was imminent.
The compulsory transfer took place on 13th July 1946.
(1) Runddorf: Village in which the houses stood around the village square
(2) Herrschaft = dominion
(3) List in which were written down the possessory rights of the lord of the manor and the duties of his subjects. Also called “Urbarium”.
(4) name of the farm
(5) Schwab = the Swabian
(6) Einschichte = wilderness
(7) 1 ha (Hektar) = 100 a (Ar); 1 a (Ar) = 100 m²
(8) Hütplatz = place were sheep were herded; Platz = place; hüten = to herd
(9) Stierwiese = Meadow where bulls were grazing; meadow = Wiese; Stier = bull
(10) Wiese = meadow; Bächlein = little run; Wiesenbächlein = little run in the meadows
(11) Streurechen: Leaves, branches and moss in the woods were raked, picked up and used as litter for the cattle in the stable. Streu = litter, rechen = to rake