Zeißermühl was located well protected against winds barely 1 and a half km north of Stockau at the foot of Lissa mountain. The village was part of the political community Berg but it was attached to the parish and school of Stockau.
Dr. Ernst Schwarz asserts that the name of the village had its origin in the Czech person’s name “Sezema” or “Sezemin”, whereas the residents of Zeißermühl state that it can be derived of a mill which was surrounded by alders in which were living many “Zeisige” (1) (in the dialect “Zeiserl”).
Zeißermühle was first mentioned in documents In 1587. In 1789 it was part of the Kammeradiministrationsgut(2) Stockau with 11 housenumbers. At that time Siegfried Landshut was the local judge and reported to the upper jurisdiction of the castle Stockau. There is a story handed down that once carters who transported glass brought with them two boys from the city Landshut in Bavaria who were given the surname “Landshut” and were allowed to settle in Zeißermühl.
In 1839 the village had 12 houses with 94 residents and a mill which was called Zeiser- or Zeiserlmühle with a sawmill. In 1913 the village possessed 16 houses and 138 residents, and in 1939 there were 21 houses with 120 residents. The measure of area was 146, 14 ha(3) in 1937. There were 61,55 ha fields; 24,54 ha meadows; 71,74 ha pastureland; 31,99 ha woods; 1,17 ha gardens.
In the village there were 7 large farmers; a mill with a saw mill; an inn with a store; a store where were sold bone-laces; a butter and egg store; a tailor; a Cartwright; a smith; and a wage horse-drawn vehicle which existed 41 years, and was one-horse on duty with 3 horses from 1902 until 1934. In 1915 the water pipe was built and the electric energy came from the mill in 1920. In 1926 high water washed away the bridge Mühlbachbrücke which had been built with very big stones. It was replaced by a concrete bridge. In 1932 the voluntary fire brigade was founded and was provided with a motor engine. In 1935 a storm uprooted one of the two big lime trees of the village which delivered 23 Raummeter(4) of wood. In 1946 the bell of the chapel was about 250 years old.
Two men died in World War I. Thirteen soldiers died in World War II.
(1) English: siskins. The German name for the bird “Zeisig” is a loanword from Czech language. In Czech language: ?ížek.
(2) A Kammergut (or Kameralgut) were parts of the country the souvereign could dispose of them freely. They were administrated by his “Kammer” which was the administrative body of the sovereign for finances. On 8th September 1785 the cloister Stockau was taken over by order of the emperor Josef II.
(3) 1 ha (Hektar) = 100 a (Ar); 1 a (Ar) = 100 m²
(4) Raummeter: solid measure, also called in German „Kubikmeter“ or m