The Marktgemeinde Weißensulz which was bedded in between soft hills at the confluence of the run “Pössigkauer Bach” and the river “Radbusa” was passed through by the county road to Eisendorf and was a stop of the local railway to Haid, Tachau and Plan.
In his chronicle the Bohemian chronicler Cosmas reported that in 1121 Germans on a steep rock not far away of Weißensulz built a castle, which was destroyed by duke Vladislas(1). Old-Weißensulz had its origin in a frontier guard of the chods of Pfraumberg and from 12th to 15th century also was the seat of a chods' court. The chods who in course of time had among them very many Germans, were obliged to guard the Bohemian frontier and in return for this they were granted numerous privileges. The frontier between the chods of Pfraumberg and the chods of Taus ran along the road Hostau-Muttersdorf-Rindl-Waier-Schwarzach.
Between 1250 until about 1429, when in Bohemia reigned the dynasties of Premyslides resp. Luxembergs who mostly were pro-Germans, the settlement of Germans was promoted in this area which is to see in the use of the German name “Weißensulz” instead of the former Slavic name Bela and in the documents(2) concerning the chods in German language which were drawn up between 1331-1337.
In the Hussite Wars people had to suffer much, and after having received the requests of the villages of the district of Pfraumberg because misery had become almost unbearable, emperor Sigmund ordered that for one year the burgraves were not allowed to raise taxes and to demand robot and other assistances from the inhabitants of these villages.
After 1628 Weißensulz was in the possession of Baron Wolf Laminger von Albenreuth. This one was just like his brother Wolf Friedrich sentenced and lost the estate Weißensulz, castle and village with the dairy-farm and 60 subjects, being under them 46 with emoluments and 14 cottagers with belongings, which he provisional for 10 996 Schock and then for 26 000 Schock meißn. had conveyed to his brother in 1624. After this one had succeded in proving his brother's innocence, who in the meantime had died in military service, the deceased was rehabilitated. The estate Weißensulz was left to his brother Wolf Wilhelm after having paid the debts of 3000 Schock meißn. and 7702 Gulden to the widow of his brother, who was a born Kfelirsch as well as 250 Schock meißn to the brother.
In 1839 Sommer reported that Weißensulz was the real local authority of the united dominion Heiligenkreuz-Weißensulz, because in this castle was the seat of the authority for administration and taxes. There also was a lordly brewery on 22 barrels, 1 distillery, 1 lordly dairy-farm with sheep-farm, 1 inn and 3 mills.
In 1913 the dairy-farm of Freiherr Kotz von Dobrz in Heiligenkreuz had a size of 132,80 ha.
In 1696 countess Anna Theresia von Metternich, a born Zucker von Tamfeld, who was the owner of Heiligenkreuz, lay the foundation-stone of the church. The consecration was on 29 September 1697. In 1700 the countess donated a chaplainship. The chaplain was obliged to say Mass on Sundays and feast-days for those who couldn't go to church in Heiligenkreuz and to preach on St. Mary's days. The first chaplain was Benedikt Foti from the monastery in Kladrau, who more than 70 years worked in Weißensulz. In 1785 the parish Weißensulz was founded and in 1786 the first priest D. Adalbert Rauscher, who before had been chaplain in Eisendorf. After the foundation of the parish in Weißensulz, the chaplain of the castle Heiligenkreuz was obliged to help out.
In 1786 the villages Zemschen, Pössikau, Pabelsdorf and Tutz were attached to the parish of Weißensulz. But on 14 october 1816 they again were separated and attached to Tutz.
On 2 September 1826 the church in Weißensulz which had been consecrated to the Mater dolorosa (sorrowful mother) was destroyed by fire. Baron Wenzel Kotz von Dobrz it let have built up again and enlarge. The burnt down steeple was covered completely new with galvanized metal sheet. And in 1827 in the Turmknopf(3) of the steeple was deposited the following memorial: “In spring 1827 the high-born and well-born baron Wenzel Kotz von Dobrsch, wirklicher Kämmerer(4) of his apostolic majesty, knight of the Imperial Austrian Order of Leopold, Oberstwachtmeister(5) in the imperial royal army, lord of the dominion Heiligenkreuz, Weißensulz and Eisendorf, most favourable patron of this church this steeple let have restored, covered with metal sheet and provided with 3 bells. God bless him and his descendants.”
The bells which were founded by the bell-founder Karl Bollmann in Prague were consecrated to St. Wenceslas, St. Christian and St. Florian. At that time Laurenz Seitz was priest there. According to Liebscher the parish church, with its high altar of coloured marble was consecrated by bishop Lindauer on 15 May 1846.
Until the end the villages Bärentanz, Neuhof, Schmolau, Zetschin, Tschernahora, Roudnitz, Hankasäge, Neuhofer Mühle, Oberhammer, Schwarzweiher, Wassersäge and Ziegelhäuser were attached to the parish of Weißensulz.
(1) The castle Pfraumberg was the eldest stone castle of Bohemia. It was damaged and was restored. It was very important for the Bohemian sovereigns because in the near was a very important route. The castle Pfraumberg only became a ruin after 1596.
(2) Letters in which the chods of Pfraumberg were granted their privileges
(3) Turmknopf: ball in the spire of a steeple where traditionally are deposited time capsules for coming generations.
(4) Wirklicher Kämmerer: Title. Such titles as Kämmerer, Geheimer Rat, wirklicher Kämmerer, wirklicher geheimer Rat were bestowed to members of the Bohemian nobility to be bound to the Hapsburgs.
(5) Oberstwachtmeister: officer, later was called “major”.