Chronicle of Franzbrunnhütte

(according to Johann Micko)

FranzbrunnhÄtte owes its origins to a glassworks which was probably established arount 1696. In 1698 Hans Christian Nachtmann was named "Glasknecht" [glass worker or laborer]. Pearl or "Paterln" glass and "Hohiglas" [glass holloware] were already being produced. In 1706 the glassworks was either completely abandonned or transferred to Oberhütte.

In 1751 the second very long period of production from the GlashÄtte began. It is possible that the Oberhütte production was transferred to FranzbrunnhÄtte at that time. The first "Hüttenmeister" [ Master Glassmaker who is also in charge of all production] was Franz Aberle from Hurkental. Using his name, Franzburnnhütte was also referred to as "Awerlhuttn" by local people.

In 1877 the glassworks burned to the ground but was quickly rebuilt only to be sacrificed to another fire some years later. The Bloch Brothers firm rebuilt it again. In 1887 gas heating was installed and a chimney 30 meters high was built by the then- owner, Count Coudenhove-Kalergi. In 1898 business ceased and production was ¯transferred to Waldsassen. A forest tree nursery was later laid out at the site of the glassworks.

During 1890 Franzbrunnhütte had nine houses with 107 residents, in 1921 there were only three houses and 44 residents left at a place that had once been so productive.

The parish for Franzbrunnhütte was in Muttersdorf at first, in Waier after 1786. Children of UnterhÄtten first went to school in Muttersdorf, then Waier, UnterhÄtten, Haselberg and finally after 1899 in Nied -- to which it was attached as part of the community.

One local soldier fell during World War II.



German-Bohemian Heritage Society

Return to Heimatbücher page