Chronicle of Johanneshütte

(according to Johann Micko)

Johanneshütte was founded in the year 1776 as glassworks and originally belonged to the village Schwanenbrückl from which it is 500 meters distant in a southwesterly direction. This hamlet, called "Hanneshütten" in dialect, got its name from its founder, Johann Freiherr von Wiedersperg [Baron of Wiedersperg]. In 1805 it was given house numbers and designation as a separate place.

In the year 1770 a "Vergolder" [gilder -- a glass worker who put gold trim on glass items] named Phillip was there. A contract for lease written in 1810 says: "The people associated with the glassworks are freed from payment of house rents and protection monies [taxes]. They need only provide [the Baron] one day of "driving" the hunt. [Sort of "beating the bushes for game.] Glassworks employees are entitled to free firewood. Firewood for the glassworks is to be cut between October and April. Hunting and fishing are forbidden."

In 1839 Johanneshütte has 11 houses and 81 inhabitants as well as two mirror-grinding mills. In 1881 the glassworks was shut down. In 1890 the count of houses totaled 8 and there were 53 inhabitants. In 1913 Johanneshütte had 8 houses and 78 inhabitants and in 1939 there were again 8 houses.

Johanneshütte was administered from Schwanenbrückl and the school was also there. It belonged to Muttersdorf parish. During the First World War six men from Johanneshütte fell and another three failed to return from the Second War.


German-Bohemian Heritage Society

Return to Heimatb├╝cher page