Chronicle of Oberhütten

(according to Johann Micko)

The place known as Oberhütten is presumed to have been founded around 1618 as a glassworks. It was about one kilometer from the Bavarian border. A Ronsperg document indicates that in 1618 Herr Fux von Walburg from Schneeberg, who owned Winklarn and Schänsee at the time, had built a glassworks for the glassworks master, Sebastian Reger, over the protests of Herr von Wiedersperg of Muttersdorf who claimed the works stood on his land.

The village of Oberhütte began to develop in 1738 when the two brothers, Friedrich and Christof Wenzl von Wiedersperg, ruled in Muttersdorf. By giving construction sites they increased their own income through the settlement of tax-paying subjects. At the time Overhütte belonged to the Bavarian village of Steinlohe which was a part of Bohemia until 1766. In 1788 there were already 14 households. The residents of Oberhütte probably did their compulsory "Robot" labor in the manorial forests or at the Dianahof manor house. In 1851 all Robot and dues or payment of tribute was cancelled.

In 1785 there was a total count of 93 persons living in Oberhütten. By 1839 there were already 200 inhabitants and 19 houses. In 1910 there were 36 houses and 329 residents when the residents of Paadorf (founded in 1875) are included.

In 1865 eight houses and all their nearby buildings burned down, in 1907 ten properties became victims of flames and 23 families were left homeless.

During the 1860s the men of Oberhütten still wore yellow leather knee-trousers, knee stockings and buckled shoes. Later they wore full trousers and long coats of leather.

The people of Oberhütten made pilgrimages to Bavaria, in particular to Ast, Neukirchen-Heiligenblut and to Pleystein; sometimes also to Altötting and Maria Kulm. The parish church was first located in Muttersdorf and later in Waier. But often many of the residents went to church in Stadlern. The school for Oberhütten was located in Unterhütten.

During the First World War, 33 men enlisted and five did not return home.

There is a lot that can be said about the name of Oberhütten which is "Owahitn" or also "ãauf da eiwan Hitn." At first, between 1651 to 1735, it is mentioned as "Glashütte Schwarzach" but with many variations. There has never been a glassworks in Schwarzach.

The glassmakers in Oberhütten back then were: Andreas, Hans, Georg und Ulrich Nachtmann, then men named Paa, Meindl, a man from Reichenberg named Christof Müller, and also Christof Müller, Lindmeier, Schwingt Erl, Hirsch, Widl, Rückauer, Kopp and Werner.

During the First World War the following soldiers fell: Fritzj Lang Nr.5, Johann Meisinger Nr.6, Georg Paa Nr.17, Max Wiedl Nr.22, Michael Wiedl Nr. 22.

During the Second World War 39 men marched off and 16 of them failed to return. They were: Johann Fleischmann Nr.1, Johann Fleischmann Nr.9, Karl Fleischmann 54, Josef Hubatsch Nr.7, Johann Lindmeier Nr.4, Michael Lindmeier Nr.4, Anton Nagelschmidt Nr.15, Johann Paa Nr.14, Johann Paa Nr.16, Josef Paa Nr.14, Michael Paa Nr.18, Franz Wiedl Nr.3, Karl Wiedl Nr.50, Max Wiedl Nr.50, Georg Vogl Nr.13, Karl Vogl Nr.54.

Now there are only wild shrubs surrounded by timber forest where Oberhütten once stood. After the expulsion the people of Oberhütten were scattered throughout Germany. There is a group of them who settled in Oberviechtach.


German-Bohemian Heritage Society

Return to Heimatbücher page