Chronicle of the Community of Rindl

The place called Rindl was first mentioned in the year 1589. The 750 meter high mountain found there was known by the same name. The distance to the frontier in the direction of Schwarzach was only five kilometers. The main district road through Rindl was built in 1925. The community's first electric service connection was made in 1942. The one-room elementary school in Rindl was built as an "Expositur" [extension of] the three-room Volksschule in Waier. It was built in 1897. Ever since 1894 there was a winter school established in Rindl in the Kirchpeter House, house number 6. Before the new school was built the Rindl school children had to go to school in Waier. The first teacher in Rindl was "ein gewisser" Herr Flossmann. The last teacher and teacher before the last were miss Erika Laibl and the one still know to us all as Mr. Josef Frank from Altgramatin who fell in the Second World War.

The community Rindl at first belonged to Parish of Muttersdorf. In 1786 it was attached to the church in Waier and later was again part of the Parish of Mutttersdorf. The parish for Jungrindl was in Stockau. In 1925 an organizational survey was taken to determine who wanted to remain with the Muttersdorf parish and who wanted to attend church in Waier. The majority of the residents of Rindl chose Muttersdorf with only the Wickl family in house number 33 deciding in favor of Waier. But the residents of Rindl continued their long- standing traditional celebration of the feast of St. Anna (Kirchenfest) at Waier. The Waier organist also was from Rindl, Grecher Girgl from house number 12 who was know throughout the district. He was the organist in Waier from 1929 to 1942. In 1942 he was replaced by the housekeeper of Pastor Baier. She was also an organist.

In 1939 Rindl, Jundrindl, Rothöusl and two remote farms had a combined total of 44 street numbers. In 1930 the population stood at 239. The combined land-holdings were 396 hectares with117 hectares in arable fields, 98 in meadows and 85 in pastures and willows, 82 in forest and 1.5 hectares of gardens.

A volunteer fire department was established in Rindl in 1906. The first commander was the teacher, Anton Kostner, who worked as teacher in Rindl from 1903-1908. The last commander was the Master Blacksmith (Schmiedemeister), Anton Wickl.

Rindl had a local chapter of the German "Bohmerwaldbundes" (Bohemian Forest Club) with 31 members as well as a band (Musikkapelle), the well-known Grecher-Musikanten (Grecher musicians -- Herr Grecher was the band leader).

According to reports of older inhabitants the original layout of Rindl was divided into 13 parts with 12 farms. The 13th part was community commons on which a community shepherd's cottage and community forge were built.

Sacrifices of the two World Wars included nine men fallen during the First and 21 men who fell in the Second.



German-Bohemian Heritage Society

Return to Heimatb├╝cher page