Just as indicated by the name, the village owes its origins to a mill. It is somewhat hidden in forest and located at the brook that is the source of the Radbusa. It is 590 meters above sealevel, two kilometers west and one kilometer north of Neid.
It was after 1623 that the village of Neid was laid out along with the nearby mills at Althütten and Seeg.
The mill wasorginally a part of the village of Neid and the exact year it was built is unknown. It is mentions in records for the first time in the year 1696. At that time and likewise in 1702, Hans Spürek was miller. In the year 1746 a baptism is recorded at the Neider Mühle (Mill of Nied), otherwise known as the Schnagmühl. By 1772 the second mill already existed. Construction of the other houses near the mill should have been done about 1770. In 1846 the miller, Herr Strentzl, built and maintained a small chapel there.
In 1839 Schnaggenhühle had six houses and 45 inhabitants. Between 1890 and 1910 there were seven houses with 65 inhabitants. In 1921 the seven houses held 43 inhabitants. The children of Schnaggenmühle attended school in Waier after 1789. After 1909 they attended the "Expositor" in Neid. [The Neid Expositor was a branch of the Waier parish.
Concerning the name, in the beginning it was referred to only as "Neider Mühle." It was first referred to as "Schnaggenmühl" in 1746. The name is descriptive; the mill stands on marshy ground, in a warm, forest-enclosed area in which "Schnaggen" grow very well. In dialect it is "Schnognmühl." Because of bad business the mill ceased operation in 1910, likewise the upper mill in 1908.
One man fell a casualty during the First World War. During the Second War, three men fell.
Return to Heimatbücher page