Greene County Doctors....
information in this article was gleaned from material in the Greene
County Archives and Records Center. The author is Robert Neumann,
Director of the Archives.
From the county's formation
in 1833 through the 1860's, a record of Greene County health care
is available in probate files, deed books, coroner's inquests and
court proceedings, as well as two histories of Greene County. They
are the R. I. Holcombe History of Greene County Missouri,
published in 1883 (cited as "Hol 1883") and the Jonathan
Fairbanks and Clyde Edwin Tuck Past and Present of Greene County
Missouri from 1915 (cited as "F&T 1915") Numbers
in parenthesis indicate probate file numbers.
doctors are listed in these histories. Dr. Edward Rogers of Tennessee
came to this area in 1831. (Hol 1883) But after a few years he moved
on to Texas. A Dr. Perum "lived and died a bachelor" which
explains why he "boarded at the Smith Tavern" in Springfield
rather than have a household of his own. (F&T 1915) There is
an 1848 bill from a Joseph Perham to the estate of A. J. Aikin .
(probate #18) Perum and Perham are possibly the same doctor, indicating
the man was practicing from the early 1830's to at least as late
as 1848. Another "first" may have been Dr. James H. Slavens
of Warren County, Kentucky, (Hol 1883, p 150) who was also the first
Methodist preacher in the area coming here in 1831. There are Slavens
medical accounts for 1853 and 1855. Are they the same man? A question
arises from Finis Shannon's probate with an 1822 medical account
due a Dr. Crockett . (#5786) Because of the early date it was probably
not from southwest Missouri though. Whoever was first is unimportant.
Many more would follow.
One early doctor was
Cornelius D. Terrell. As with many physicians he had other jobs
besides practicing medicine. When he died in 1840 he was county
clerk. Coming to Greene County in 1833 he was in practice with other
doctors. (Hol 1883, p 191) There are medical accounts of Matthews
& Terrell in 1833, Hammer(?) & Terrell in 1835, Terrell
& Polk in 1836, and Terrell & Jewett in 1837. (probate #9745)
Before 1841 Dr. Jewett lived in Wilson Township. (Hol 1883 p 684)
Dr. Terrell also is associated with James Wilson--his name was given
to the creek--through marriage to Wilson's widow. (Hol 1883 p 867)
A Dr. B. M. Jerritt billed for services for examining stabbing in
J. Renno. Randolph Britt killed Renno in 1838 in a Springfield grocery
[tavern] creating quite a stir. (Hol 1883 p 189) Jerritt and Jewett
may be the same person.
Among other physicians
practicing in the 1830's were G. P. and W. Shackelford . An account
for them dated 1839 was found in Francis Leeper 's probate. (#6638)
William R. Shackelford died in 1847. G. P. died around 1863 and
was a leading "Southern" man in the county. (Hol 1883
p 279) As with the general population of the county doctors had
both Union and Confederate leanings.
One of the Shackelfords
was in a partnership. Shackelford & Thornton are found in an
1844-45 account. (William Crenshaw probate #1592) Earlier in 1843
Perham & Shackelford are listed treating the same patient. An
1842 account lists Shackelford & Farrier. (John Kimbrough probate
#6265) Possibly these pairings were regular partnerships. It is
also just as likely that two doctors working on the same case billed
the patient on one bill.
From Moses Foren's probate
is an 1838-39 invoice from Bailey, most likely Dr. T. J. Bailey.
(#3119) Born in Kentucky in 1803 he had studied medicine at Danville
under Drs. Smith & McDowell. (Hol 1883 p 595) Moving to Greene
County in 1837 he became active in business and medicine. Unlike
Dr. G. P. Shackelford , he was a Whig and Union man. When he died
in 1869 he left money for a monument to the men killed defending
Springfield from the Confederate attack in 1863. (It is near the
Lyon stone in Springfield National Cemetery.) Bailey is also listed
with other doctors. There is an 1845 account of Bailey & Williams.
(William Crenshaw probate #1592)
There is an 1835 medical
receipt for Stephen Blackman in Moses Foren's probate. (#3162) In
this same file is an 1841 bill for midwife services to a slave named
Rachel. It may come as a surprise that slaves received medical care
but there are references to it in several files. Dr. Edwin T. Robberson
treated a black boy in 1861. In 1849 P. J. Brown asked for payment
for "Medical services" for "Negro boy." (William
Purselley probate #8520) In 1851 Dr. Chenoweth treated a "negro."
(E. F. Roberts probate #5146) There is an Aug. 11, 1861, listing
for medicine for negroes with Wm . C. Caldwell. (Jacob Bodenhamer
probate #579) An 1849 receipt from Dr. Perkins is for treating a
In connection with Dr.
T. J. Bailey a "Williams" was mentioned. Bailey &
Williams are listed in accounts from 1843 to 1845. This "Williams"
is James T., who died around 1850. His probate file is an incredible
trove of medical information. The day book of "Bailey &
Williams" is in it with patients' names and treatment. May
1, 1843, is the first of multiple entries for Jacob Painter, the
Springfield gunsmith. On May 8 "Col Boyd", presumably
Marcus Boyd, got "Cook" pills. This seems to be a brand
name as it appears many times. On June 20 Charles Yancey, a judge
in Greene County, received " Godfries Cordial." This was
being used locally at least as late as 1864 in Springfield. R. Langham
received opium on July 24. John James was treated with "Scarifying
and Cupping" which involved making multiple shallow cuts in
the skin and then blistering it. Women were also treated. The entry
was usually written as "visit lady."
Williams had received
training at Transylvania University in Lexington, Kentucky. As was
common, he sat for lectures. Entry tickets, or cards, for those
lectures are in this file. For Anatomy and Surgery he sat with Benjamin
W. Dudley, M.D. Charles Calewell, M.D. lectured on Medicine and
Clinical Practice and Lunsford P. Yandell, M.D. spoke on Chemistry.
Williams attended these class lectures in 1834-35.
In Missouri Dr. Williams
kept up with conditions elsewhere. A brother, J. Landen Williams,
wrote from Livingston County, Missouri, in 1845 describing it as
a "Country...to healthy for any Dr. to expect to make a surport
by his practice." Apparently also a doctor, he reported on
their father as "Confined to the House he has.... Turbercular
Pumonalis." In another letter dated the same year, this time
from Mt Vernon, Missouri, he asked his Springfield brother for medical
advice. One of his patients, William Brown "labors under inflamatory
Rheumatism." He also complained "I will have more Competition
one Dr Flowers a New Yorker [always a derogatory term in the Ozarks]
is about settleing in this place. J. G. Williams goes on to say
"Flowers says he is a graduate from the New York Medical School
a school I know nothing about." In addition the brother recounts
an attack of "Billious intermitants" but that he "never
refused to ride but once on the account of my fever."
It seems that after being
in partnership with Dr. Bailey, Dr. James T. Williams was a partner
of Dr. Henderson. In Williams probate file is an "inventory
of accounts due" of this partnership. (#10347) The document
is dated August 24, 1848. Listed as patients are N.[Nicholas] R.
Smith and several of the Fulbrights, well-known early county residents.
The 1846-47 account shows a total of $277.35 due indicating a good
There were probably few
medical suppliers during the 1840's. Dr. Williams' file has two
bills. One is From E. Deroin of St. Louis dated April 2, 1844. It
includes such standbys as calomel and camphor. Also cinchona from
which quinine is derived. (In John P. Campbell's probate there is
a bill from Dr. W. S. Chenoweth for $22.88 for Peruvian barks, another
name used for cinchona. #1460) There is also a bill from the Philadelphia
company of Pleasants & Maris for calomel and jalop, snakeroot,
sago, opium, and $5.50 for a pair of obstetrical forceps. Again
there is quinine. It is $33.00 of the $128.73 bill.
fevers (malaria) were a constant problem in the 19th century. The
disease would occur, then go into remission only to reoccur in the
future. Quinine was widely used to treat it but not without side
effects. Too much could damage hearing. Probably one of the first
brand name products utilizing quinine for these fevers was Sappington's
Pills, which were produced by Dr. Thomas Sappington of Arrow Rock,
Missouri. (Making a fortune on this product he became a strong political
force in the state affiliated with the Governors Marmaduke and Claiborne
Fox Jackson) References to Sappington's Pills are numerous in probate
files. They appear in 1836 in Joseph Crow's probate file and others.
Medicines were also probably
available from stores. There is a medical prescription to the N.
P. Murphy Drug store in Springfield in or on the Square. (Deed Book
L, page 432 dated 1863) N. P. Murphy was a doctor. Another description
locates a property as being west of [the] drug store of M. M. McCluer
on the Square in 1857. (Deed book H, p 719) Dr. M. M. McCluer is
mentioned in the Holcombe 1883 history when his wife died in 1859.
(page 269) An 1857 receipt for a whiskey and medical account is
from McCluer & Bros. (Gibson Hardin probate #4069) There is
also a reference in Deed Book K, page 355 in 1860 to a drug store
on the Square. In the 1852 store inventory of Elijah Perkins of
Ebenezer, a place where area people bought supplies and necessities,
bottles of castor oil and Fahnestock vermifuge were available for
sale. A vermifuge was a deworming product. In the J H Caynor &
Co probate file is an 1860 order to Matthews & Sons, wholesale
druggist in St. Louis. (#1519) Caynor & Co was a tobacco company.
Over the years many doctors
practiced in Greene County. Drs. Goodall & Wooten appear in
1857-1859 accounts. Fairbanks & Tuck's history, p 486, notes
they came from St. Louis going to Texas with their slaves before
the war. Another medical pair seen is Davis & Whitsill, appearing
in accounts from 1853 to 1858. They were composed of N. A. Davis
(mentioned in the Holcolm 1883 as an 1857 delegate to the Democrat
State Convention) and J. C. S. Whitsitt . Another pair was White
& Sloan noted in an 1865 medical account. Thomas White appears
by himself in 1852. Thomas G. White, who appeared in an 1857 note,
is apparently the same doctor. He died in 1869. Associated at one
time with James T. Williams, Dr. Henderson also appears as Perham
& Henderson from 1847 to 1849. Dr. Perham also links with Dr.
Shackelford in 1843. The Shackelfords have been previously noted.
Yet another team of doctors
are Robberson & Barrett. This is E. T. Robberson and presumably
Beverly A. Barrett. (1859 medical account) Born in Tennessee in
1830, Edwin T. Robberson moved with his family to Greene County
in 1831. (F&T 1915 p 719) He was graduated in 1854 from Jefferson
Medical College in Philadelphia. In June, 1861, Robberson , along
with S. H. "Pony" Boyd and L. A. D. Crenshaw, sought Union
assistance for southwest Missouri. They traveled to Rolla where
they met Colonel Franz Sigel under whose army escort they returned
to Springfield. (Hol 1883 p 287) Later, along with W. C. H. Harwood,
Robberson developed what became North Springfield. Dr. Robberson
died in 1893. (Hol 1883 p 840) Beverly A. Barrett was born January
8, 1826, in Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri. His father was a physician
from Virginia. The younger Barrett began study in 1845 and practice
in Dallas County in 1847. (Hol 1883 p 603) He started in Springfield
in 1858. Although a Southern man he is well spoken of by Dr. S.
H. Melcher, Union surgeon in Springfield who cared for the Battle
of Wilson's Creek wounded. He says: Of Dr. Barrett I will say...he
was always...in full sympathy with the rebellion, but never...did
I know or hear of anything but gentlemanly, courteous conduct toward
all. (Hol 1883 p 368) For his sympathies Dr. Barrett went to prison
in St. Louis in 1864; he died in 1899.
Besides Robberson the
name Barrett is seen with others. It is associated with Dr. S. Blevins
(or Blevinns) in Daniel Chandler's probate in February, 1863. (#1523)
As there are two "Dr. Barretts" when no initials are given
it is sometimes difficult to determine which one is being referred
to. Besides Beverly there was George R. Barrett who practiced around
Ebenezer. (1859 medical account reference) There is a listing in
Chatham Duke's probate for medical attention Ebenezer Green Co Missouri
in 1863; presumably from Dr. George R. (#2427) In this same file
are papers mentioning Dr. R. S. Wallis for medicine and visit in
1857-58. In the Melburne Hall probate is an 1859 bill of a C. S.
Wallis of Lebanon in Laclede County. (#4049) With handwriting sometimes
difficult to decipher it may be the same man. Like Beverly, George
R. was sometimes working with other doctors; at least once with
Dr. Gray. (probate file #349) It ended with Barrett's death in 1866.
There is a medical receipt for an N. W. Gray. The date may be 1862.
He was from Ebenezer according to Fairbanks & Tuck.
One probate file, that
of Dr. L. A. McGowan, gives a good picture of one doctor's practice.
(Sometimes the named is spelled McGown. #7030) The appraisement
of property was done in November of 1860. There was one lot of medical
books worth $50.00, pill bags worth $5.00 and one lot of instruments
worth $40.00. Dr. Luther A. McGown bought supplies on account from
W. N. Jopes Company. The February to June 1860 sheets lists opium,
rhubarb, metal and glass syringes, female and male, and of course,
quinine. There are patient account sheets listing a visit to Daniel
B. Flint to dress a wound, a visit to Johnathan Young for quinine
(one of many references to quinine), a visit to Frederick Weaver's
wife to visit and arrest of hemorrhage, and a notation for B. H.
Davis "To blue mass & quinine." (Blue Mass was prescribed
for both constipation and diarrhea. It was made from an opium and
mercury compound.) For April 15th, 1863, is a receipt signed by
Mary F. Prunty, Relick (widow) of L. A. McGown . On March 22,1863,
Mary F. "McGown" (McGowan) had married Robert C. Prunty.
Born Mary F. Horseman, she had earlier married Luther A. McGowan
on October 20, 1859. She is listed in the 1850 census from Boone
township, age 9, born in Kentucky. Robert C. Prunty, physician,
is also listed in the 1850 census. He is 30 with a 2 year old daughter.
Possibly Mary assisted her physician husbands.
Robert C. Prunty appears
in medical accounts in 1854, in 1855 and others. (Wm . Caulfield
probate #1512 and Ingram heirs probate #4968) He was said to have
been the first resident physician in Brookline township. (Hol 1883
p 673) Born in Warren County, Kentucky, July 7, 1820, his family
moved to Greene County in 1839. His medical training began reading
medicine under Drs. Shackelford and Perham . He had a practice in
Ash Grove in 1845 but soon began attending Missouri State University
medical department in St. Louis. He graduated in 1847. His first
wife was Mahala S., a daughter of Nathan Boone. (Hol 1883 p 689)
Of other Greene County
and area doctors sometimes little is found. An S. G. Tate in mentioned
in 1841 and again in 1847. (1847 in Henry Collier probate #1531)
William R. Mathews is found in 1845 and 1854 papers. Several times
Dr. Booth appears; in 1848 and 1849. (1849 in R. B. Owen's probate
# 8429) Dr. T. W. Boothe died in Newton County on December 31, 1857.
(Hol 1883 p 245) Dr. D. W Bryant appears in 1856-58. (William White
probate #10276) Dr. McBride is mentioned in the 1840's. (Deed Book
H, p 291) He also in on a receipt for "1 night visit"
in 1847. (John S. Ricketts probate #5134) Dr. E. E. McBride of Springfield
is mentioned in Fairbanks & Tucks history. "Dr. White"
appears in 1865. He may be Thomas G. White, of White & Sloan
previously mentioned. The team of Sloan and Coltrane are in an 1866
medical account. Dr. Thomas Coltrane practiced around Cave Spring,
in northern Greene County, after being in the Union army. He was
born in North Carolina in 1842, started practice in Walnut Grove
in 1866. (That year he also ran on the "National Union Ticket"
for superintendent of common schools.) He moved to Cave Spring in
1867. His wife was the former Lulu Staley. (Hol 1883 pgs 714, 717).
"Dr. Denby" is mentioned in an 1865 paper. (Isaac Whittenberg
probate file #10261) He also appears in 1859.
Henry and John (J. S.
& J. W.) Chenoweth are together in 1854. Other single Chenoweth
listings are 1852, 1853, and 1864. (Dr. John W. Chenoweth was a
Whig for Gen. Zachary Taylor's presidency in 1850. Hol 1883 p 216)
Another Taylor Whig was Dr. Horatio Monroe Parrish. (Hol 1883 p
216) He came from Kentucky-- where he had been born on March 18,
1823-- to Greene County in 1837. He studied surveying under John
L. McCraw, county surveyor, then got medical training under Dr.
G. P. Shackelford in 1841, and at Kemper's college graduating in
1845. (Hol 1883 p 820 ) Dr. Parrish is documented in 1848-51, 1853,
Other brief mentions
of medical men include "Dr. Upshaw" in 1848, "Dr.
Wann" in 1852 (spelling unsure), "Dr. Harrington"
and "Dr. Batson" both of 1861, "Dr. Rose" who
was treating a patient with "Black mass" in 1860, "Dr.
Ragsdale" of 1860-61, "Dr. Jennett" who is in an
April 1850 medical receipt and "Dr. Lemmon" in 1866. Others
are Alex Still in 1856 and 1860, an R. D. Maxurle (?) in 1854, "Dr.
Burks" in 1853 (possibly the same D. J. Burks in an 1855 account),
"B. B. Thornton" in 1844 (he appears in the team of Shackelford
& Thornton in an 1844 medical account). "E. K. Woodward"
in 1853, "Dr. Frazier" in 1856, partners "Davis &
Whiteside" in 1853 (this could be Davis & Whitsitt ), "Dr.
Spenser" and "Dr. R. B. Smith" both in 1852, A. B.
Ewing in 1841, "John D. Shelton M D" receipt [no date]
(in the probate file of Marcus L. Britain #482 who died in 1843),
J. B. Landreth about 1864, "Drs. Smith & Carson" of
the same year, and in 1854 "Dr. Brown." There is a P.
J. Brown who billed for Medical services for Negro boy on December
15, 1846. Dr. J. A. Brown turns up in 1864. Other obscure doctors
include D. M. Main(?) in 1859, "Dr. McGown" in 1859 (who
is probably Dr. L. A. McGowan previously mentioned), "Dr. Wilson"
in 1862, "Dr. Farmer" or "Farrier" in 1845,
Wm B. Cowon / Cowan in 1855, "Drs. Wills & Spain(?)"
in 1852, "McHatten" in 1864, a "Wm Hopkins"
in an 1849 medical receipt, P. K. Miller in 1857, William G. Wilson
in 1860, "Dr. Bender" in 1864, "Rice" in 1851,
A. Small in 1859, "McElwan" in 1851, B. McCord Roberts
in 1847 (a Sons of Temperance man in 1849, Hol 1883 p 206), J. F.
Hale (1850's), M. J. Blackman in 1855, and Stephen Blackman in 1854-55
(In John Casey's probate #1516 for Visit and medicine to negro Boy
3.00 and Visit and Medicine to negro woman 2.00.)
Little more is known
about others. "Dr. Caldwell" in 1864 may be the Fair Grove
doctor named Colwell in Fairbanks & Tuck. Dr. William C. Caldwell
from Virginia, is listed as living in Fair Grove in 1883 (Hol 1883
p 703) He was said to be the first doctor in the township. Dr. D.
R. Hoyal was probably David R. Hoyal of Lawrence County, practicing
in the 1858-63 period. (He was killed by assassins in 1866. Hol
1883 p 653) There is a medical bill for Cole & Grant, Fair Grove
in 1861. Fairbanks & Tuck confirm Fair Grove for Dr. Cole. A.
S. Clinton appears in 1851, 1854, 1853, 1856, and 1857-59 so he
must have been relatively active. H. R. Clinton is in an 1865 account.
(An A. R. Clinton appears in 1863 and an A. K. in 1865. They may
all be the same man.) The team of Drs. "Hovey & Natross"
appeared in an 1865 account. A Doctor Natress is listed as the first
dentist in the county. (F&T 1915 p 496) Dr. E. Hovey was born
in Trenton, New York on September 23, 1816. (Hol 1883 p 761) He
came to Texas County, Missouri, in 1840 and studied dentistry and
medicine. He practiced both fields in Buffalo, Dallas County, until
the war when he became a lieutenant in the Home Guards. He joined
the Missouri State Dental Society in 1865. Dr. E.[Edwin] K. McMasters
is in the area by 1856. He was a native of North Carolina moving
to Dade County where he lived from 1847 to 1851. (Hol 1883 p 864)
He moved to Greene County in 1851. A "Dr. Cox" is in an
1865 account. Fairbanks & Tucks history says he was first
in Ebenezer and later in Springfield. There is a George M. Cox in
the Greene County State Board of Health Physicians registry. (County
Clerk accessions) This Dr. Cox received a degree from Bellevue Hospital
Medical College in New York on February 27, 1865. N. H. Hampton
(1856), may be Noah H. Hampton a Republican candidate with S. H.
Boyd in the district senatorial delegate election in 1875 per Holcombe.
Greene County doctors
not yet mentioned were "Dr. Perkins". (He is on the books
of the first Masonic Lodge in Springfield. Hol 1883 p 150) He moved
to town in 1849 or 1850 and died in 1860. William C. Wadlow studied
medicine at Walnut Grove under Dr. Sloan. Wadlow had attended Missouri
Medical College in St. Louis. (Hol 1883 p 719)
Doctors from other areas
appeared in probate files. William Allan Roberson was in Mt. Vernon,
Missouri by 1845. On an 1847 printed sheet from Belleville, Illinois,
was a local account with Dr. Champion. Thomas J. Watts M.D. is mentioned
in the 1883 Holcombe history. His parents moved to Greene County
on the James River near the Webster County line. Watts, born August
10, 1837, in Tennessee, began medical study under Drs. Robinson
[Robberson] and Barrett and sat for lectures at St. Louis Medical
College. In 1861 he commenced practice in Webster County. (Hol 1883
p 698) Another doctor out of Greene County was Lorenzo T. Watson.
Coming to Greene County in 1853 he studied under Dr. Clinton (probably
one of the Dr. Clintons previously mentioned; probably A. S., maybe
A. R., A. K. or H. R.) at Ash Grove in 1855, and went to McDowell
College in St. Louis in 1856. (Hol 1883 p 836) Watson started practice
in Hartville, Wright County, in 1858. He was a surgeon for the 24th
Missouri Volunteers and also the Missouri State Militia during the
war. Watson had been born in Monroe County, Tennessee, on September
The 1860's brought many
medical changes to Greene County. A medical "Fee Bill"
discovered pasted in a probate book listed Springfield physicians
in 1860 and their fees. Doctors previously mentioned on this sheet
include E. T. Robberson, H. M. Parrish, B. A. Barrett, Z. Van Hoose
, N. P. Murphy, M. M. McCluer , T. D. Wooten , T. Goodall , A. V.
Small, and James A. Brown. Not yet noted were P. Burns, Thomas W.
Cecil, and William M. Gibson. One, or several of these doctors subscribing
to this fee bill, treated conditions more advanced than might be
expected for the time. Operations for cataract were performed for
$50.00 to $75.00. For an Extirpation of Tonsils or removal, the
fee was from $10.00 to $20.00. Cupping, an old procedure seen in
an 1847 county medical bill, was done for $1.00. Extracting Teeth
cost fifty cents, but if you wanted ether used it was double the
price. Operations to remove tumors, reduce fractures, amputate,
correct "hare-lip" defects and treating " Gonorrhoea
and Syphilis" were available. The last two cures were payable
in advance at $5.00 to $10.00 and $20.00 to $50.00 respectively.
Other services included post- mortems and "trepanning."
A post-mortem, or examination
of the body, was done on General Nathaniel Lyon killed at Wilson's
Creek. Dr. S. H. Melcher washed the body and examined the wounds.
Dr. E. C. Franklin, with the Union army, also later examined Lyon's
body in Springfield. A post-mortem could include an autopsy but
did not necessarily have to. The coroners inquest held August
4, 1865, on Harrison J. Ferguson in Springfield, did include one.
M. King Moxley, Assistant Surgeon of United States volunteers, performed
one assisted by Drs. Murphy (presumably N. P.) and Burns (presumably
the P. Burns previously mention in "Physicians Fee Bill.")
Previous to death, Harrison's skull had been subjected to a trephine
which was a type of drill. A plug of the skull bone had been cut
around and lifted. This was done to relieve pressure on the brain.
After Harrison's death the skull was opened--possibly by cutting
around it and removing the top--and examined. A "large abcess
in the middle lobe" was discovered" and a smaller one
on the "right cerebellum."
Many surgeons and doctors
passed through Greene County during the Civil War. Surgeon Whitney
fought in the defense of Springfield when it was attacked by Confederates
in 1863. These army doctors would be another study entirely. Needless
to say local doctors benefited from the experience of treating numerous
soldiers in the area and working with army surgeons and doctors.
From the partnership notes inventory of Drs. G. R. Barrett and N.
W. Gray are several military men listed. (probate #349) The Civil
War provided much practical experience to area doctors.
Thus is a not brief enough
history of medicine and doctors of early Greene County. It is unfortunate
that for many of these medical men--and sometimes women--so little
is known. Without more information only a rather sketchy listing
of them is now possible.
This article was originally published in the Greene County Historical
Society Bulletin, Vol. 59, # 1, January-April, 1998.
(THANKS TO: Linda Myers-
Phinney, Dr. Thomas P. Sweeney, Amy Langston and Carolyn Snider
for reviewing this article.)