Campbell Township was
one of the seven original townships organized March 11, 1833, when
the county was much larger. Its present boundaries include all the
sections in T29N and R21 and 22W. It is bounded by Center Township
on the west, Robberson, and Franklin Townships on the north, Taylor
Township on the east, and Wilson, Clay and Townships on the south.
It is of somewhat greater significance in that it is within this
township that the county seat of Springfield is located. It is named
after John Polk Campbell who donated the land for Springfield's
public square and platted the town site.
Wilson's Creek (that
portion running through Springfield's center city is known as Jordan
Creek) has as its original source the springs flowing into it. Tributaries
of Jordan Creek include Fassnight, South Creek, also within the
city limits of Springfield.
The earliest settlers
of Campbell Township include: William Fulbright, John Polk and Madison
Campbell, Joseph Miller, and Joseph Weaver, 1830; Joseph Roundtree
and Kindred Rose, 1831.
The settlement that developed
around where these early settlers lived was known as Campbell-Fulbright
Spring. In 1835 John Polk Campbell platted fifty acres into lots
and streets and a public square. The town plan was similar to that
of Columbia, Tennessee, Campbell's birthplace. The name given to
the town was Springfield relating to the circumstances of there
being a spring below the hill while on top of the hill, where the
main portion of the town lay, was a field. On August 27, 1836 Campbell
deeded to Greene County for county seat purposes the fifty acres.
When the railroad came through in 1870, the depot was located a
mile north of the town of Springfield. A town called North Springfield
developed around the depot. The two towns merged in 1887.
Other communities associated
with Campbell Township, but no longer in existence, include Mumford,
Ritter, Mascot, Langston, Hays, Hazel Dell, and Roseville. Junction
City was founded in 1882 by James Evans at the crossing of two railroad
lines, one going to Tulsa and the other to Kansas City. The name
was changed to Nichols Junction to honor Danton R. Nichols, an early
superintendent of the Frisco Railroad.
to the list of Greene County's townships.