spacer spacer spacer spacer spacer spacer
  Courthouse Courthouse Greene County Historical Society    
  Courthouse Courthouse  
Located in the Missouri Ozarks  
 
   
  button_about
button_history
button_libraries
button_museums
button_other_links
button_site_map
button_home


For more information, contact:

Greene County
Historical Society
P.O. Box 3466 GS
Springfield, MO 65808

Email button

 

This site was last
updated on
March 6, 2004

spacer


Cass Township....

Cass Township was established May 1, 1846, and named for General Lewis Cass, who, two years later, became the Democratic candidate for president. The original Cass Township included the sections in the Murray Township, but presently comprise Sections 18-36 of T31N, R23W and the north twelve Sections of T30N and R23W. It is bordered by Polk County on the north, Robberson Township on the east, Walnut Grove and Boone Townships on the west, and Center Township on the south. Its main water way is Asher Creek and a portion of the Little Sac.

The first settlements in Cass Township were on what is known as the Grand and Whittenberg Prairies and included: Peter Whittenberg, Isaac Hasten, I. Cook, John Murray, James Gilmore, John Griffiths, James Adams, Jacob Perryman, Archibald Morris, Charles Peck, J. Johnson, J. Simmons, and Isaac Julian, all coming between 1830 and 1837. William Killingsworth and Charles McClure, 1839. John Grigsby settled at Cave Spring.

The principle settlements in Cass Township were Sacville, Luck, Asher (later named Pearl), and Cave Spring.


Cave Spring

It was around a combination cave/springs on Asher that the first settlement in Cass Township began taking the name Cave Spring. It was only natural for a constant source of water and the benefits of cave temperatures to be a drawing card for settlement. The first house at Cave Spring was built by John Grigsly. The first store established in 1848 by Alfred Staley. Schools and churches always became an intrigal part of a community or settlement. The Mt. Zion Presbyterian church was established in 1839, first meeting in the homes of the parishioners. The first permanent building for the church was built in 1845. A brush arbor and later, in 1841, a shed, became the Cave Spring Camp Ground was was used by all denominations for camp meetings.

Return to the list of Greene County's townships.

 

   
   

About the GCHS | A brief history of Greene County
Local libraries and archives | Local museums and other organizations
Other interesting links | Site map | Home
 
spacer spacer spacer spacer spacer spacer