Clay Township was organized
in 1859 along with Pond Creek and Wilson upon the formation of Christian
County. It is named in honor of Henry Clay. It comprises all of
the north 30 sections of T28N and R21W. It is bordered by Christian
County on the south, Wilson Township on the west, Campbell Township
on the north, and Washington Township on the east. A portion of
the Kickapoo Prairie extends into Clay Township from the west. The
James fork of the White River, known generally as "The James"
or "The Jeems" flows through the township diagonally from
the northeast to the southwest. The White River branch of the Frisco
Railroad or Springfield & Southern, traverses the township.
A cave and spring, known variously as Fishers, Springdale, and Sequoita,
is one of the geological features in the township. No major towns
are presently located in the Clay Township other than Springfield,
whose southeast limits make up a large part of the township. Former
settlements included Galloway, Sequoita, Mentor, and Kissick, also
known as Rule and Gates. The damming of the James River produced
Lake Springfield which serves as a cooling-water reservoir for the
James River Power Plant as well as recreation.
Earliest settlers include
Edward M. Thompson, 1830, and Charles A. Haden.
The town site of Kissick
is now occupied by the James River Power Plant operated by the Springfield
City Utilities. As the city of Springfield grew, there was an increasing
need for electric power. A hydro-electric generating plant on the
James River was impractical due to its irregular flow. A steam generating
plant was selected as the best source for power generation. A location
on the James River south of the city was chosen as the site. Construction
was started and the turbines went online in 1957. A dam across the
James provides a cooling water reservoir, as well as recreation.
to the list of Greene County's townships.