For more information, contact:
P.O. Box 3466 GS
Springfield, MO 65808
site was last
March 6, 2004
Washington Township was
formed in 1873 by taking the south thirty sections from Taylor Township
in T28N and R20W. It lies in the southeast corner of the county.
It is bordered by Christian County on the south, Clay Township on
the west, Taylor Township on the north, and Webster County on the
west. There are no major towns located in the Washington Township
but mention should be made of two early communities, Cody and Palmetto.
The former is located at the junction of Hwy. 60 and State Hwy.
125, and was named for Buffalo Bill Cody who is reported to have
once slept in the town. A store marks the village site. The latter,
Palmetto, was once thriving community but only the cemetery remains
today. It was named by South Carolina founders who brought starts
of the palmetto plant when they came west. It is located between
State Hwy. 125 and County Road D from the first road south of Hwy.
Earliest settlers include
James Thompson, John Gwin, 1836; Robert Beattie, 1837; and R.D.
to the list of Greene County's townships.