Search billions of records on


Paul Charles MORPHY

Michael MORPHY
Maria MURPHY née PORRO Pierre Henri PEYRE
Marie Pierre DUVIVIER de la MAHAUTIÈRE Photo courtoisie de ROGLO Charles Innocent Le CARPENTIER
Marie-Thérèse DRUILHET François BLACHE
Marie Louise BLONDEAU
Louise MORPHY née PEYRE Joseph Esaïe Le CARPENTIER
Paul Charles MORPHY
Le plus grand joueur d'échecs
o ca. 22 juin 1837 USA, Nouvelle-Orléans
+ jeudi 10 juillet 1884 USA, Nouvelle-Orléans, LA
(frères/soeurs:- Malvina SYBRANDT née MORPHY- Edward MORPHY- Helena MORPHY)




Principale source : JPM

Source externe

Généalogie d'Haïti et de Saint-Domingue
Estelle & Jean-Paul Manuel © 1998-2009.

Corrections : haiti.saintdomingue @
Révisé le dimanche 20 juin 2010


Paul Charles MORPHY


Many people consider Paul Charles Morphy the greatest chess player the world has seen. By today's standards his play is probably equal to that of a garden variety GM. But during his day, the Romantic Era of Chess, little was known of positional theory and chess literature was relatively scarce. Morphy led the game of chess from darkness into the dawn of discovery. His ideas revolutionized the game and made him shine against the shadows of his contemporaries.

Early life:

According to his uncle, Earnest Morphy, one of the best players in New Orleans at the time, "This child has never opened a work of chess... In the opening he makes the right moves as if by inspiration; and it is astonishing to note the precision of his calculations in the middle and end game." A story goes that Paul Morphy learned to play chess by watching his uncle play on Sunday afternoons. He had never actually played a game yet, but one afternoon his uncle ended a game in a mutual draw and started putting up the pieces. Paul asked him why he accepted a draw when he had a forced win. His uncle was taken back, not really taking him seriously..afterall, the board was put up, so who's to say if what Paul was declaring was true or not. The boy took out the board and set up the position from memory and demonstrated the win to his uncle's astonishment.

At age 10 he beat Rousseau, a master from France who was living New Orleans at the time. At age 13 he played two games against Lowenthal, winning one and drawing the next. Lowenthal was a professional player, a Hungarian master. Morphy went to St. Joseph's College and graduated at age 17, then went to the University of Louisiana. He was there when his father died, making him a relatively rich man. At age 20, he was admitted to the bar, but was too young to practice law. This was in 1857. Coincidentally, the First American Chess Congress was scheduled to take place that fall. Morphy, free of his father's rigid control and with leisure time on his hands, secured an invitation to the tournament. 


Paul Morphy was born in New Orleans on June 22, 1837. His Irish great-grandfather had changed the spelling from Murphy after emigrating from Ireland to Spain in 1753. In 1809, Morphy's grandfather, Don Diego Morphy, was posted as the Spanish consul to New Orleans. Alonzo Morphy, Morphy's father, was a successful attorney (eventually a judge), and his mother, Thelcide, was a gifted musician and composer.

His family was close, wealthy, and anchored within the genteel society of New Orleans. Morphy was raised as a gentleman of the antebellum South in a family where honor, sincerity, kindness, and civility were everyday virtues.

By the age of 8, Morphy had learned the moves of chess from observing games his father and uncle, Ernest, would play on Sundays. (Ernest Morphy held the reputation of being the strongest player in the city.) It didn't take Morphy long to demonstrate his unique abilities at the chessboard; in short time he was beating his father and uncle as well as other local competition.

In 1846 General Winfield Scott, while visiting friends in New Orleans, asked if it would be possible to arrange an evening of chess with one of the local players. (Scott was known to be a strong amateur.) His friends told him that this was possible. After dinner the board was set and a very small child was introduced to the General as his opponent for the evening. Scott was indignant that a joke of such poor taste had been played. His hosts reassured the general that no finer player could be found in all of New Orleans. An angry and insulted General Scott was finally persuaded to sit down and play.

The 9-year-old checkmated the general on the 10th move. A second game was played and Scott again suffered defeat. At this point the visibly agitated General Scott excused himself and took his dignity home to recuperate. Morphy was taken home and tucked into bed.

When Morphy was 12 he played a three-game match with the great Hungarian player, Johann Löwenthal. The first was a draw and Morphy won the next two. Afterward, Löwenthal was quoted as saying Morphy would grow up to be " . . . the greatest player who ever lived."

Morphy spent the next six years ignoring chess in favor of concentrating on his studies and other extracurricular activities. He attended Spring Hill College in Alabama, where he excelled in Latin, Greek, French, English, and mathematics. His interests outside of class included fencing and acting. (His closest friends recalled that Morphy rarely spoke about chess during his school days.) In 1855 he was graduated from college with the highest honors ever awarded by the school. The following year he completed his law degree at the University of Louisiana, graduating before his 19th birthday.

Too young to practice law, the teenager was persuaded by friends to pursue his latent chess talent and enter the First American Chess Congress. The Congress was to be held in New York in 1857, but Alonzo Morphy died unexpectedly in November of 1856. The death of his father was a severe blow to Morphy, and it was only through the encouragement of his Uncle Ernest that he decided to continue with his plan to travel to New York.

To say the Congress was a "walk in the park" for Morphy would be inaccurate, but it certainly didn't provide much competition. His only real challenger was Louis Paulsen, a man known for taking as much as two hours for a single move. (One of the incredible aspects of Morphy's game was his speed of play.)

In 1858, the Reverend George MacDonnell made the following comment after witnessing Morphy defeat Löwenthal [again] 9-3; "He seldom -- in fact, in my presence never — expended more than a minute or two over his best and deepest combinations. I fancy he always discerned the right move at a glance, and only paused before making it partly out of respect for his antagonist . . .") The match was a rout for Morphy: five wins, one loss, and two draws. The sixth game is considered a masterpiece.

Paul Morphy was now America's champion!

At the instigation of his friends, and with words of cautious encouragement from his family, Morphy traveled to London in 1858 with the hope of playing against England's champion, Howard Staunton. Staunton had a well-deserved reputation as a masterful chess player, Shakespearean actor, and knowledgeable editor of his own chess column in the Illustrated London News. He was also known to be an egotistical and irascible man, not above using his column to spread misleading information about his competitors.

When word of Morphy's arrival in London reached Staunton, the editor started a writing campaign to make Morphy appear intimidated, money-hungry, unsophisticated, and fearful. In fact, the opposite was true. Morphy did everything within his power to arrange a match with Staunton, but it would never materialize. Most historians agree that Morphy would have trounced Staunton. Evidently Staunton recognized this and wished to avoid what he considered certain humiliation at the hands of this unsophisticated bumpkin. Morphy's secretary, Frederick Edge, was quoted later as saying, "Mr. Staunton's weakness was want of sufficient courage to say, 'He is stronger than I.'"

Morphy left England and traveled to Paris in August 1858 to challenge all players at the Café de la Régence. Once there, it didn't take long to establish his reputation as the greatest player anyone had ever encountered. During this time, Morphy issued a cordial challenge (and included the money for all expenses) to Adolf Anderssen, who was then generally considered one of the greatest chess masters in the world.

While waiting for Anderssen to arrive, Morphy gave a stunning demonstration of blindfold chess competing against eight of the strongest players at the Café. The outcome after 10 hours was six wins and two draws for Morphy. The victory was overwhelming and Morphy became the toast of the city. (The following morning Morphy dictated all the moves of all the games to Edge!)

When Anderssen arrived in mid-December he found Morphy ill in bed. Anderssen wanted to postpone the match but Morphy, knowing Anderssen had only two weeks available, insisted on beginning immediately. The first game went to Anderssen; the second was a draw. During a break, Anderssen was asked why he wasn't playing as well as he usually did. "Morphy won't let me," he answered. Ever the gracious gentleman and consummate sportsman, Adolf Anderssen was observed beaming in admiration as he watched his opponent box him into unrecoverable positions. When the end was obvious, he would simply laugh and begin resetting the pieces for the next game. The final score was seven wins, two losses, and two draws for Morphy.

With the exception of a cordial game with a friend, Morphy never again played chess in Paris. In the spring of 1859 he and his brother-in-law traveled to London, where Morphy gave another brilliant demonstration of blindfold play and then left for America shortly afterward.

In June of 1859 Morphy was greeted in New York as a national hero. He played one serious match, this time winning against New York's favorite son, James Thompson, (five wins, three losses, and one draw), and then left for home. It was his last competition.

Morphy was trained in the legal profession and attempted to start a law practice. Unfortunately for Morphy, while his reputation as a chess phenomenon was already established, his practice never got off the ground. He blamed his involvement in the game for his inability to be taken seriously as an attorney. At this point he refused to play anything but an occasional game with friends and eventually turned his back on chess entirely, forbidding even its mention.

During the last years of his short life, Morphy's mind drifted in and out of lucid thought. He took up the habit of dressing in his finest suit and walking the streets of New Orleans. Sometimes he muttered to himself, and at other times he compelled others to listen to an often-told and jumbled tale regarding his father's estate.

On July 10, 1884, Morphy returned home from his daily walk complaining of being tired, hot, and unbathed. He was found a few hours later unconscious in the tub. Attempts to revive him failed; his death was attributed to brain congestion. Paul Morphy was 47.


His funeral took place on July the 11th. The pall bearers were his brother, Edward, his cousins, Edgar Hincks, E. A. Morphy, Leonce J. Percy, Henry F. Percy and his lifelong friend, Charles A. de Maurian. He was buried in the Morphy tomb in the St. Louis cemetery, corner St. Louis and Basin Streets.