|Adair County Anquestors Genealogy Society|
Adair County, Iowa
Adair County Anquestors Genealogy Society
c/o Greenfield Public Library, P. O. Box 328, Greenfield, IA 50849-0328
Table of Contents
About the Anquestors
Meeting schedule and topics
Publications for sale
Pioneer Certificate (instructions and form)
Research resources available in library
Births, Marriages, Divorces, Anniversaries, Obituaries, Reunions
Search this site
The Adair County Anquestors Genealogy Society was founded 1973 to exchange ideas and information on genealogical research. The Anquestors are a chapter of the Iowa Genealogy Society. Meetings are held at the Greenfield Public Library the 4th Saturday of March through November. Annual dues are $10 per person or $12 per couple. If interested in joining, contact Anquestors at the address above. All members receive a newsletter which is published quarterly. Each newsletter contains valuable genealogical data for research from Adair County, Iowa.
Need some help with research? Send queries to the address above. Prompt attention will be given to all queries. A research fee may be charged, if so, you will be informed in advance.
- President -- Millie Clayton
- Vice President -- Lois Frederick
- Secretary -- Ava Boyle
- Treasurer -- Julie Harter
- Executive Board Member -- Edith Perry
Meetings are held at the Greenfield Public Library at 1:30 PM (unless alternate location is noted below or is published in the Adair County Free Press and Fontanelle Observer and given on radio station KSIB during Greenfield and Adair County news). Changes in programs will be given in the notices. Notification of cancellation of meeting due to bad weather will be via a phone tree.
||Revolutionary War Records (DVD)|
Roll Call: Tell about an ancestor who was in the Revolutionary War.
||Catholic Church Records (DVD)|
Roll Call: Tell about a Catholic ancestor.
||Irish Genealogy (DVD)|
Roll Call: Tell about an Irish ancestor.
||Civil War Records (DVD)|
Roll Call: Tell about and ancestor who was in the Civil War.
||Inhouse computer research|
Roll Call: Share how computer research could assist or has assisted you.
||Trip to the Historical Building and Iowa Genealogical Society|
Roll Call: Bring dates and information to look up.
||Exploring an old graveyard|
Roll Call: What's the oldest grave you've found in your family?
||Immigration and Naturalization|
Roll Call: Tell about an immigrant ancestor.
Tell about an ancestor from Germany.
||Roadblocks in genealogy (Members)|
Roll Call: Share a roadblock you've solved.
||Program planning for 2014, Olive Branch, 11:15 AM|
Roll Call: Bring a program idea.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
Publications for sale
Publications available from the Adair County Anquestors
c/o Greenfield Public Library. P. O. Box 328. Greenfield, IA 50849-0328
- Adair County History, 1976
- History of the county and towns, and biographical information on residents. Price: hardcover - $12.00 + $4.00 postage; softcover - $10.00 + $3.50 postage.
- Cemetery Index, Adair County, Iowa, 1799-1976
- Index of all readable cemetery headstones in Adair County cemeteries as well as single graves. 192 pages. Price: $20.00 + $3.00 postage.
- Harrison Township Cemetery Index
- History of Harrison Township and cemeteries. 1901 and 1976 plat maps. Index of Fairview Cemetery, 12 pages. Index of Roberts Cemetery, 8 pages. Price: $5.00 + $2.00 postage.
- 1880 Federal Census Index for Adair County
- Head of household index of 1880 federal census. 32 pages. Price: $5.00 + $2.00 postage.
- 1885 State Census Index for Adair County
- Head of household index of 1885 state census. 34 pages. Price: $5.00 + $2.00 postage.
- 1882 Adair County Plat Map
- A land ownership map of the county. Size: 22 x 28 inches. Price: $1.25 + $1.25 postage. Mailed folded.
Publications available from the Adair County Historical Society Museum
P. O. Box 214, Greenfield, Iowa 50849
- Adair County History, 2001
- Price: $40 + postage.
Publications available from the Iowa Genealogy Society
P. O. Box 7735, Des Moines, IA 50322-7735
- Adair County, Iowa Marriages, 1854-1900
- This source is indexed and gives the date of marriage, or the date the license was issued if the date of the actual marriage is not available. 61 pages. Price: $15.60 + $2.50 postage (Iowa residents must add 5% sales tax.
Greenfield Public Library
A sampling of available Genealogy Resources
- Adair County history books -- published in 1884, 1915, 1976, and 2001.
- Federal Census Records, Adair County (on microfilm) -- 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920.
- Iowa Census Records, Adair County (on microfilm) -- 1856, 1885, 1895, 1915, 1925.
- Tombstone inscriptions for all Adair County cemeteries (last read in 1976).
- More than 100 family genealogies with Adair County connections.
- Adair County marriage records -- 1854 to 1915.
- 1901 Adair County plat book -- shows landowners.
- Pedigree sheets of Anquestor members, 2 volumes, with surname index.
- Scrapbooks of "Adair County Free Press" selected clippings -- births, weddings, anniversaries, obituaries; beginning 1907.
- Adair County birth records and wills (on microfilm) -- not indexed except on film.
- Birthdates of Adair County World War II registrants, indexed.
- Adair County birth records for 1940s and 1950s.
- Ewing Funeral Home, Fontanelle, records -- 1908 to 1959 (copied in 1976).
- Adair County school census reports -- 1948, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1956, 1964, 1966.
- Accelerated index of Iowa census -- 1850.
- "Adair County Free Press/Transcript/Democrat" selected years (on microfilm).
- "The Adair News" 1900-1920 (on microfilm).
- "Fontanelle Weekly/Observer" selected years (on microfilm).
- "Stuart Locomotive" early years (on microfilm).
- "Casey Vindicator" selected years (on microfilm)
- Church records for many county churches.
- World War II scrapbooks -- selected clippings from the Adair County Free Press about Adair County servicemen.
- 1947 Rural Directory of Adair County.
- Geo. W. Clark Circle No. 80 Ladies of the GAR, 1914-1939.
- Telephone books for many Adair County town, various dates 1958-1979.
- Plat maps from 1951, 1965, 1968, 1971, and 1900.
- Greenfield Merchants, 1884.
- Histories and records from many Adair County churches.
- Adams County births, deaths, and marriages (various dates 1880-1901).
- Guthrie County death (1916-1920), marriage (1900-1915) records.
- Guthrie County cemeteries - Rose Hill, Menlo, Glendon, Immanuel Lutheran, Dalmanutha.
- Madison County marriages (1849-1879)
- Various genealogical records (birth, death, marrieage, cemetery) for many other Iowa counties
- "through the seasons, Winterset, Iowa, 1849-1999"
- County history books from nearby counties, including: Guthrie, Cass, Dallas, and Madison.
To further assist with your genealogical reseach, you may also visit the
USGenWeb/IAGenWeb Adair County web site
Questions or concerns, contact the AAGS Webmaster
Copyright 2000-2013, Adair County Anquestors Genealogical Society
Last Update: Monday, 11-Feb-2013 05:45:16 MST