Historical Record of Wayne and Appanoose Counties, Iowa
Chicago: Inter-State Pub. Co., 1886.
Unless noted, biographies were submitted by
ALBERT HERBERT EELLS, proprietor of Eells's Laboratory of Proprietary Medicines, at Centerville, is a native of Centerville, Iowa, where he was born January 12, 1860, a son of Dr. F. and Chloe A. (McCaffrey) Eells, natives of Maine and Ohio respectively, the former of Welsh and the latter of German and Irish ancestry. Albert H. was reared and educated in the schools of Centerville and St. Louis, his parents removing to the latter city in 1873. He returned with his parents to Centerville in 1873, when his father established the Eells laboratory, where he manufactured the Eells patent medicines, which are so well and favorably known through the
country. Our subject became associated with his father the same year under the firm name of Dr. F. Eells & Son, and since his father's death, which occurred at Centerville in 1884, he has since conducted the business alone under the old name of Dr. F. Eells & Son. The father was a prominent physician and very popular as a citizen, and was always ready to assist in any enterprise which tended to the advancement of Centerville. Mr. Eells, our subject, is a charter member of Centerville Lodge, No. 64, K. of P., and has served his lodge as inside guard and prelate. In July, 1883, he was commissioned Adjutant of the Second Iowa National Guards by Governor Sherman, and in 1885 was commissioned by the same Governor aide de camp on the staff of General H. H. Wright.
FRANKLIN EELLS, M.D., deceased, was one of the earliest practitioners of Appanoose County, the year of his location in Centerville being 1855. He was a sturdy son of Maine, and was born near Belfast, February 5, 1830, his parents, Dr. Seth W. and Patience (Merriam) Eells, being also natives of the Pine Tree State. In 1837 the family moved to Belleville, Ohio, where Dr. S. W. Eells practiced medicine several years, and later removed to Mansfield, the same State, where he engaged largely in the manufacture of ink and subsequently became interested in compounding and patenting family medicines. He lived in Mansfield until 1874, when he moved to Centerville, Iowa, where he died in January, 1876. He wife died November, 1875, and both are buried at Centerville. Franklin Eells was a studious boy, and was given the privilege of obtaining a good education, attending first the schools of Belleville and Mansfield, and later Oberlin College. Having early a desire to become a physician he commenced studying with his father, who was a very thorough instructor, wishing his son, if he took up the profession, to stand at its head. In 1855 he left home and came to Iowa, beginning his practice in Centerville, with Dr. McCoy. In February, 1859, he was married to Miss Chloe A. McCaffrey, who was born in Monroe County, Ohio, a daughter of Washington and Maria (Miller) McCaffrey, her father a native of Virginia, and her mother of Pennsylvania. They located in Centerville in 1855, and made it their home as long as they lived. After his marriage Dr. Eells attended Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois, taking a full course of lectures, and receiving his diploma from that institution January 7, 1864. Soon after his graduation he went to St. Louis, Missouri, where he engaged in the drug business and in the manufacture of druggists' specialties. Returning to Centerville in 1871, he devoted his attention to his practice for about a year, and then began the manufacture of staple family medicines, many of which, patented by him, have become familiar names in thousands of Western homes. His enterprise was attended with the most gratifying success, the efficacy of his medicines in the diseases for which they were made being recognized and acknowledged by all who used them, and they soon became widely known, and their sales brought him in a good revenue.
Dr. Eells was one whose genial, sympathetic nature found a responsive chord in the hearts of all who knew him, and few men of his ability ever lived who had more friends and at their death left less enemies. As a practitioner among children and young people his popularity was unbounded, readily gaining their confidence, making them his friends and making himself a welcome visitor to their homes. In his political affiliations Dr. Eells was a Republican, and although in no way a politician was a firm adherent to the principals of his party. He was in an early day made an Odd Fellow and continued a member of the lodge in Centerville until his death. In 1879 he built the handsome brick residence which is now the home of his family. This, with the beautiful park-like grounds environing it, is a most effective monument to his skill and carefulness. Early in 1884 his health failed and he was obliged to give up his business, gradually growing worse until death relieved his sufferings August 5, 1884. His only son and descendant, Albert H. Eells, early in life became associated in business with his father and has succeeded him, now carrying on the same business at Centerville.
ALEXANDER M. ELGIN, one of the early settlers of Walnut Township, located where he now lives, on section 9, in the autumn of 1853. He bought 360 acres of land which he improved, but his homestead now contains only 160 acres, having given the rest to his children. Mr. Elgin was born in South Carolina, October 5, 1811, the third of nine children of James and Ellen (Masters) Elgin, who were pioneers of Indiana, moving to that State in 1819, and there our subject was reared and was early inured to the hardships of a pioneer farmer. The father died on the old homestead and the mother afterward went to Morgan County, Indiana, where she passed the rest of her life. Alexander Elgin was married March 10, 1839, to Elizabeth Elliot, a native of Kentucky. They lived in Morgan County, Indiana, until 1853, and improved a farm, when they came to Iowa. The wife died in 1862. They had a family of ten children born to them, six of whom are living: John, of Walnut Township ; Mrs. Martha Thompson, of Missouri ; James, of Walnut Township ; Mrs. Emeline Starks, of Kansas ; Clark and George, of Walnut Township. Sarah, Jane, Cora and Laura are deceased.
For his second wife Mr. Elgin married Miss Lovina Chantler, a native of Pennsylvania, who lived only eighteen months after her marriage. He subsequently married Mrs. Caroline ( Stafford ) Murray, of Morgan County, Indiana. To them were born three children. The eldest two, Perry and Sarah, are with their father, and the youngest died in infancy. Mrs. Elgin died August 16, 1884, aged fifty-four years. She left one daughter by her first marriage: Mrs. Harriet Clark, of Unionville. She was an estimable woman, an affectionate wife and mother and a kind neighbor. She, with her husband, was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. In early life Mr. Elgin was a Whig, but now affiliates with the Republican party. His paternal grandfather, Robert Elgin, was a native of England, and one of the early settlers of Virginia, later moving to South Carolina. His maternal grandfather, John Masters, was one of the patriots who served with General Francis Marion in the war of the Revolution.
ROBERT MCCAMPBELL EVANS was born near Knoxville, Tennessee, in 1826. His father died in 1827, and when he was five years old his mother moved to Putnam County, and in 1843 he accompanied her to Davis County, Iowa, where he lived with her until his marriage, September 8, 1848, to Nancy King. In 1853 he removed to Appanoose County, and settled on a farm in Bellair Township, where he lived until 1871, when he rented his farm and has since lived in Centerville. His wife died in December, 1850, and he subsequently married Cordelia Rose. They have two children: Matthew and William. Mr. Evans is in politics a Republican. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church. His father, William Evans, was a native of Tennessee, of Scotch descent. He died in April, 1827, aged twenty-eight years, and left his widow with three children: Eliza, now of Kansas, is the widow of Arthur Logan; Mary, wife of Flower Swift, of Putnam County, Indiana, and our subject. The mother, Mary Evans, was also a native of Tennessee, of Scotch ancestry. In 1829 she married Wesley Swanson, who also left her a widow. She died at the home of her son, Samuel Swanson, a farmer of Appanoose County, in 1880, aged eighty-one years.
WILLIAM FRANKLIN EVANS, attorney at law, and junior member of the firm Vermillion & Evans, Centerville, Iowa, was born near Confidence, Monroe County, Iowa, October 11, 1859, the only son of William and Margaret J. (Vestle) Evans. He was five years of age when his parents moved to Appanoose County, and here he grew to manhood, obtaining a good education in the public schools of Iconium and Centerville, his parents removing to the latter place when he was twelve years old. During the years 1877 and 1878 he was deputy treasurer of Appanoose County under his father. In 1880 he began the study of law in the office of Vermillion & Vermillion, of Centerville, and was admitted to the bar in 1883. He, however, did not at once enter upon the practice of his profession, but the year of his admission became assistant cashier of the First National Bank of Centerville, and in 1884 held the same position in the First National Bank of Milan, Missouri. In 1885 he returned to Centerville and began the practice of law, becoming associated with Mr. Vermillion, and in March of the same year was elected city solicitor, being re-elected to the same position in 1886. Mr. Evans is a young man of fine ability, and is one of the promising young attorneys of the county, standing well both with his brother practitioners and the business men of Centerville.
WILLIAM EVANS, cashier of the First National Bank, Centerville, Iowa, was born near Salem, Washington County, Indiana, Mary 12, 1829. The year of his birth his parents removed to Greencastle, Putnam County, the same State, where he was reared, spending his youth on his father's farm. In 1849 he accompanied his parents to Monroe County, Iowa, where he lived until February, 1864, when he moved to Iconium, Appanoose County, and engaged in the mercantile business until December, 1871, when, having been elected treasurer of Appanoose County, he removed to Centerville, to assume the duties of his office, which he filled by re-election four terms of two years each. He was an efficient and popular officer, and won many friends by his strict integrity and careful oversight of the duties of his office, and at the expiration of his last term was offered the position of cashier in the First National Bank, which he accepted and has since held to the perfect satisfaction of his employers. While in Iconium he was postmaster eight years, and has also held the offices of township clerk and assessor several terms each. In politics he adheres to the principles of the Democratic party. Mr. Evans was married November 25, 1852, to Margaret J. Vestle, of Monroe County, Iowa. They have had eight children, two of whom died in infancy, and a daughter, Margaret E., wife J. C. Bevington, died in April, 1884, aged twenty-seven years. The living are: Sarah, wife Dr. W. H. Everson, of Promise City, Iowa; Lucy A., widow of Richard Stewart, of Centerville; William F., an attorney, of Centerville; Belle, wife of Hubbard Cyphers, of Pawnee Rock, Kansas, and Ida, wife of William Walton, also of Pawnee Rock. Mr. and Mrs. Evans are members of the Baptist church, of which he is a deacon and trustee. He is a member of the Odd Fellows order, Lodge No. 76, and Encampment No. 24, and is past grand of his lodge.
CAPTAIN THOMAS MILTON FEE, attorney at law, Centerville, Iowa, was born at Feesburg, Brown County, Ohio, April 18, 1839. His parents were Thomas J. and Sarah ( Hastings ) Fee, his father a native of Virginia, of English ancestry, and his mother of Pennsylvania, of Irish descent. His father settled at an early day in Clermont County, Ohio, and later in Brown County, where he laid out the town of Feesburg, and engaged in the mercantile business, living there until 1848, when he removed to Perry, Pike County, Illinois. He died in 1866 at Kirksville, Missouri. The mother died at Bloomington, Illinois, in 1882. Thomas M. Fee remained with his parents till nineteen years of age, receiving a good education in the public schools and the academy at Perry. In 1868 he began teaching and taught six months at Shibbley's Point, Missouri. He then went to Ottumwa, Iowa, and read law in the office of Colonel S. W. Summers, and in 1862 he was admitted to the bar, and the following May he located in Centerville, and began the practice of his profession. For two years he was principal of the city schools of Ottumwa. In August, 1862, he enlisted as private in Company G, Thirty-sixth Iowa Infantry, and in October was promoted to Captain, being the choice of his company, and received his commission from Governor Stone. His regiment was assigned to the Trans-Mississippi Department, serving in Missouri, Arkansas and Mississippi. He participated in the battles of Helena, Shell Mound, Little Rock, Jenkin's Ferry, Elkin's Ford, Prairie de Ann, Camden and Mark's Mills. The whole brigade was captured at Mark's Mills, and was imprisoned at Tyler, Texas, ten months. From there they were sent to new Orleans, where, in March, 1865, they were exchanged and were ordered to report at St. Charles, Arkansas. Subsequently he was on detached service, first as Assistant Inspector-General of the Trans-Mississippi Department, on the staff of General J. J. Reynolds, and afterward as Inspector-General of the Seventh Army Corps, with headquarters at Duvall's Bluffs, Arkansas, General Schaler commanding.
He was discharged at the close of the war, in August, 1865, and returned to Centerville and entered upon the practice of law, which he has since continued, and has built up a large and lucrative practice. In 1874 he was elected district attorney of the Second Judicial District of Iowa, for a term of four years, and in 1878 was the nominee of the Republican party for the office of district judge, but that being the year the Greenback wave swept over Iowa, he, with all the Republican candidates in this district, was defeated. Mr. Fee is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is a Master, Royal Arch and Knight Templar Mason, and also a member of both lodge and encampment in the Odd Fellows order. He has been eminent commander of his commandery three years. He is a comrade of John L. Bashore Post, No. 122, G.A.R. He has four children living: John A., Martha E., Thomas G. and Mabel E. Fee. His present wife was a graduate of Waynesburg College, Pennsylvania, an estimable lady of culture and learning.
MOSES A. FERREN, one of the prominent farmers of Johns Township, was born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, near Uniontown, August 7, 1826, a son of William and Mary (Nixon) Ferren, natives of Pennsylvania. His paternal grandfather, William Ferren, was a native of Ireland, coming to America when nineteen years of age. His maternal grandfather, Moses Nixon, was of English ancestry. His father immigrated with his family to Van Buren County, Iowa, in the spring of 1852, and remained there one season, removing thence to Appanoose County the following year, and located in Johns Township, where he entered about 600 acres of land, 160 acres being timber. He improved his farm, and was one of the most prominent in advancing the interests of the township. He subsequently sold his land in Johns Township and removed to a farm south of Centerville, where he lived until his death, which occurred February 5, 1865. His wife survived him until February 5, 1882, being at the time of her death seventy-six years of age. He was a member of the Presbyterian, and his wife of the Baptist church. He served two years as sheriff of Appanoose County, being the fourth one to hold that office in the county.
Moses A. Ferren was reared a farmer, receiving a limited education in the district schools. He accompanied his father to Iowa. He settled on 160 acres of land his father gave him, on section 30, Johns Township, and began farming on his own account. He lived twenty-one years in the log house he first built, and in 1876, he built his present fine residence, which is one of the best in the township. He has now 400 acres in the home farm and also owns 160 acres adjoining Wayne County, and 120 acres in South Fork Township, the same county. He has been an extensive stock-raiser, both cattle and hogs, but of late has made more of a specialty of cattle and Clydesdale and heavy draft horses. Mr. Ferren was married to Miss Nancy Ross, eldest daughter of H. L. Ross, of Fayette County, Pennsylvania. They have a family of five children: Hannah A., wife of Abraham Hanna; Sarah D., wife of Peter S. Green; John M., married Etta True; William W., married Lizzie Jackson; Anna M. Mr. Ferren has served his township in many official relations and has been a reliable and efficient officer. He and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist church.
GEORGE GALLAHER, one of the pioneers of Appanoose County, was born in Warren County, Indiana, near Williamsport, January 7, 1828, a son [sic] John W. and Hannah (Schemerhorn) Gallaher. When he was quite young his father died, and about the age of nine years he was left motherless, and therefore has little knowledge of his parents. He lived with his guardian until about sixteen years of age, when he started out to commence the battle of life for himself, and worked on farms in his native State until twenty-one years old. Being charmed with the glowing descriptions of the West he resolved to visit Iowa, and accordingly, in the fall of 1849, started on his journey. He remained in Iowa during the winter, and the following spring returned to Indiana, but soon after came again to Iowa, and entered 160 acres of land near Unionville, Appanoose County. Three months later he sold it, and in September of the same year bought a claim in the western part of Taylor Township. This he also sold and then purchased 160 acres near the present site of the Missouri, Iowa & Nebraska Railroad depot, on section 5. In 1864 he bought the farm where he now lives, on section 6, which contains eighty acres of choice land, making 240 acres, all under improvement. In addition to farming he is quite extensively engaged in stock-raising, making a specialty of cattle and hogs. He is an enterprising man, and from a poor orphan boy has come to be one of the prosperous farmers of Appanoose County. He has held various official positions in the township, among others that of supervisor, trustee and assessor. He was the first man in the township to hold the latter office. Mr. Gallaher was married in 1856 to Mahala Buck, a native of Missouri. She died November 6, 1883. They had a family of seven children: Thomas J., of Nebraska ; Dora E., wife of D. J. Funkhouse; Jesse M., of Seward County, Nebraska ; Cora C., Charles E., George E. and John W.
WILLIAM SPEER GAY was born in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, September 10, 1842, son of William and Martha (Speer) Gay. In 1862 he enlisted in the Union service, and was appointed Second Sergeant of Company K, Eleventh Pennsylvania Infantry, and was discharged July 3, 1865. His regiment served in the Army of the Potomac, and participated in the battles at Fredericksburg, Petersburg, and Antietam, and in several skirmishes in front of Richmond. After his discharge he returned to his father's home in Pennsylvania, and in 1870 came West, locating in March of that year near Centerville, Iowa, where he engaged in farming until October, 1881, when he was elected sheriff of Appanoose County, and was re-elected in 1883, serving two terms of two years each. Previous to his election as sheriff he served as marshal of Centerville a year. December 17, 1861, he married Irene Stewart, of Donegal, Pennsylvania, who died February 8, 1885. Two of their six children are living: Erma and Erla. Mr. Gay is a member of the Masonic fraternity, lodge, chapter and commandery.
CAPTAIN JOSEPH B. GEDNEY, a farmer, living near Centerville, was born near Lawrenceburg, Dearborn County, Indiana, December 10, 1825. He is a son of James D. and Nancy (Blauvelt) Gedney, natives of New York, the former of English and the latter of German ancestry. When he was thirteen years of age his parents came to Iowa and settled on the Black Hawk Purchase, near Fort Madison, Lee County, where the father died in April, 1864, aged sixty-four years, and the mother still lives. Joseph B. Gedney was reared on the frontier farm, and upon reaching manhood began farming for himself on land given him by his father, where he lived until 1853, when he removed to Appanoose County, and settled on a farm in Pleasant Township.
In August, 1862, he enlisted as a private in the service of his country, but on the organization of his company was elected Captain and was commissioned by Governor Kirkwood, his company being assigned as Company I, Thirty-sixth Iowa Infantry. He served mostly in the Western department and was stationed at and near Helena and Little Rock, Arkansas. He participated in the battles at Fort Pemberton, Helena, Little Missouri, Camden and Mark's Mills. At the latter battle his brigade was captured by the Confederate forces and they were imprisoned at Camp Ford, Tyler, Texas, ten months. His company went into the engagement with forty-two men and twenty-one were either killed or wounded, he escaping with bullet holes in his cap and clothing, and his sword belt shot in two. February, 1865, he was paroled and sent to a camp of distribution at New Orleans, and in March was granted a furlough and returned home on a visit to his family, having heard nothing from them for thirteen months. He rejoined his regiment at St. Charles, Arkansas, in April, but on the 23 rd of the following August was discharged at Duvall's Bluffs, the war being ended. After returning home he sold his farm in Pleasant Township, and bought the one where he now lives, near Centerville. In politics Mr. Gedney is a Republican. He has held nearly all the township offices and was for seven years a member of the County Board of Supervisors, being elected three successive terms. He has been president of the Appanoose County Agricultural Society ten years, and for three years has been president of the District Agricultural Society, composed of Appanoose, Davis and Monroe counties. He is a member of Jackson Lodge, No. 42, F. & A. M. Mr. Gedney was married February 1, 1848, to Miss Sarah Linch. They have five children: Julius E., of Centerville ; Charles H., of Independence, Iowa ; John J., proprietor of a flouring mill in Plymouth County, Iowa ; Samuel H. and Maggie Izella, at home.
HENRY GOSS, dealer in boots and shoes, Centerville, Iowa, was born in Eddyville, Iowa, March 14, 1857, a son of Joseph and Clara (Brough) Goss. When he was an infant his parents moved to Centerville, where he was reared and educated. In his youth he began clerking in his father's store, and on attaining his majority became associated with him in the mercantile business, under the firm name of Goss & Son. This firm continued until 1881 when he became established in his present business. Mr. Goss was married October 27, 1881, to Eva, daughter of General Francis M. and Mary Drake. In politics he is a Republican. He and his wife are members of the Christian church. He is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity.
JOSEPH GOSS, dealer in hardware and agricultural implements, Centerville, Iowa, is a native of England, born in Manchester, April 28, 1834, a son of Samuel and Mary (Burrows) Goss. When he was seven years of age his parents came to America, and for five years lived in St. Louis, Missouri, and thence removed to Keokuk, Iowa. His father was a brick-maker, and when twelve years of age Joseph began working in the brick-yard. In May, 1855, he removed to Centerville, and for two years engaged in the manufacture of brick. From 1857 to 1859 he followed agricultural pursuits, living in Center Township, and then was employed as a clerk in the general store of William Wittenmeyer, remaining with him nearly twelve years. In the meantime, from 1868 till 1870, he carried on a boot and shoe store for himself in addition to superintending the business of Mr. Wittenmeyer, and then severed his connection with him and gave his exclusive attention to his own business. In 1871 he added a stock of agricultural implements as another branch to his business, but in 1881 disposed of his boots and shoes, and has since increased his stock of hardware and implements. In 1873 he was one of the incorporators of the Appanoose County Bank, at Centerville, which in 1884 was merged into the Centerville National Bank, of which he has been a director, and since 1885 has been vice-president. Mr. Goss has been a member of the city council two years, and of the School Board twelve years, having served as president of the later body five years. He was married December 27, 1855, to Clara Brough. They have four children: Henry, Emma (wife of R. R. Vermillion), Ella and Thomas. Mr. and Mrs. Goss are members of the Christian church. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. In politics he is a Republican.
JAMES S. HAMILTON, farmer, Center Township, Appanoose County, and a resident of Centerville, was born in Hendricks County, Indiana, May 24, 1833. When nineteen years of age, in 1852, he came to Iowa and entered 120 acres of land in the vicinity of Centerville, Appanoose County, which he improved, and which is a part of what is now known as the Coon Hollingsworth farm. In 1858 he sold his farm and moved to Centerville, his present farm lying partly within the corporation. In August, 1861, he enlisted in the Union service as a private, in Company I, Third Iowa Cavalry, and served nearly two years, when he was discharged on account of disability. He served in Missouri and Arkansas, in the Army of the Southwest with General Curtiss, mostly engaged in scouting duty. After his discharge he returned to Centerville and resumed farming. In 1866 he, in connection with farming, began dealing in agricultural implements, which he continued till 1877, but since the latter year has given his entire attention to his farm. In politics he is a strict adherent to the principles of the Republican party. He has been twice married. His first wife, Ann E. Paris, to whom he was married December 11, 1850, died July 25, 1878. They had a family of ten children, but three of whom are living: Sarah Jane, Ann and John. July 19, 1881, Mr. Hamilton married Mrs. Harriet M. Wilson, of Appanoose County.
JAMES HAMILTON, an enterprising and intelligent citizen of Taylor Township, is a native of Brown County, Ohio, born near the town of Ripley, June 12, 1828, a son of Hugh and Martha (Woods) Hamilton, his father born in Pennsylvania in 1799, and his mother in Kentucky in 1805. The father was reared in Pennsylvania till twenty-one years old, and the mother reared in Ohio and they were there married in 1825. In 1831 they removed to the State of Indiana, and are now residents of Ripley County. James was reared in Indiana, receiving a good education in the common schools. He remained with his parents until manhood, assisting his father, who was a farmer. He was married in 1853 to Miss Elizabeth Hukill, a native of Ripley County, and in the spring of 1854 they moved to Iowa, stopping in Lee County two years. From there they moved to Guthrie County, and in 1861 located in Appanoose County, settling in Douglas Township. In 1880 he removed to Taylor Township, where they now own one of the model farms of the county, situated four and a half miles south of Moravia, on section 28. He owns 200 acres of choice land, which is adapted to all kinds of general farming. He pays special attention to stock-raising, having a fine herd of Durham cattle and several Clydesdale, Percheron and Kentucky thoroughbred horses. His wife died in 1873, leaving one daughter: Sarah V. In 1874 he married Amanda C. Hays, daughter of Alexander and Priscilla Hays. They have four children: Bessie L., Leota, Hugh A. and Mary. Mr. Hamilton has served his fellow-townsmen in several official capacities. He was a Democrat until 1860, when he voted for Abraham Lincoln and has since affiliated with the Republican party. He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church twenty-seven years.
DANIEL WAGONER HARDMAN was born in Wayne County, Indiana, March 6, 1831, a son of Israel and Elizabeth (Wagoner) Hardman, natives of Kentucky and Virginia respectively, and of German ancestry. In 1855 he came to Iowa and settled on a farm in Udell Township, Appanoose County, which is still his home. In politics he is a Republican. He has held the office of justice of the peace seven years, was a member of the county Board of Supervisors five years, and has been secretary of his school district ten years. April 20, 1851, he married Elizabeth A. Bailey, of Henry County, Indiana. They have six children: Margaret Alzina, wife of J. F. Williams, of Kansas; Sarah C., wife of James W. Gunter; Alice E., wife of D. F. McConnell; Mabel, wife of S. D. Carr; Lillie A., wife of S. A. Carr, and William Edgar.
S. L. HARVEY, editor and publisher of the Centerville Journal, is a son of James C. and Rhoda (Nelson) Harvey, natives respectively of New Jersey and Pennsylvania. They were married in Pennsylvania, and afterward removed to Ohio, where they lived the greater part of their lives. They then made another move to Warsaw, Indiana, where they died. Their son, S. L., was born April 9, 1840, in Knox County, Ohio, and at the age of sixteen commenced to learn the printer's trade. He has followed journalism, in one capacity or another, since. April 6, 1877, he fixed his residence at Centerville, purchasing the Journal. He was married February 8, 1875, in Gallatin, Missouri, to Alice Osborne, and has now two children: Lawrence and Ralph. Mr. Harvey is politically a Democrat, religiously a Protestant Episcopalian, and socially a Knight of Pythias.
AMOS A. HAYES, an active farmer and stock-raiser of Taylor Township, Appanoose County, is a native of Giles County, Tennessee, where he was born March 28, 1840, the second son of Alex. and Priscilla R. (Andrews) Hays, who were natives of Tennessee and North Carolina respectively. The father died in his native State, February 28, 1843, and in the spring of 1853 the mother with her six children came to Appanoose County, Iowa, and settled on the farm which is now occupied by our subject, the mother dying there August 11, 1879. Amos A. was about twelve years of age when he was brought to this county. He attended school in his native county, and after coming here he went to the schools of this county. Arriving at manhood he engaged in farming and has since devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits, which he has followed with marked success, being now the owner of 200 acres of choice land, a large part of his farm being seeded down to timothy grass. He devotes considerable attention to raising of stock, making a specialty of cattle, and is classed among the enterprising farmers of his neighborhood. He is quite an extensive reader, and is the owner of a good library.
SAMUEL A. HAYES, furniture dealer and undertaker of Moravia, was born near Pulaski, in Giles County, Tennessee, November 26, 1836, the eldest son of Alex. and Priscilla R. (Andrews) Hayes. The father was born in 1804, died in Tennessee in 1842, the family living on the homestead in that State till 1853. In the spring of that year the mother removed with her six children, two sons and four daughters, to Appanoose County, Iowa, making the journey by team in forty-nine days. On arriving in this county the family settled two miles south of Moravia, in Taylor Township, purchasing a claim of 120 acres, eighty acres being prairie, and the remainder timber land. The mother died on this farm in 1879, at the age of seventy-three years, she having been born in the year 1806. Samuel A., our subject, was educated in the schools of his native county, and in the schools of Moravia, Appanoose County, he being a mere lad when he came with his mother to this county. He remained on the home farm till reaching maturity, and in 1858 was married to Miss Caroline M. Callen, a daughter of Edward and Martha Callen. To this union were born six children, of whom three still survive. In 1862 Mr. Hayes enlisted in Company C, Thirty-sixth Iowa Infantry, and served three years, participating in the battles of Helena and Mark's Mill, where he was shot in the thigh. He was taken prisoner and held twenty-eight days when he was paroled. He then joined his regiment, and was mustered out in 1865, when he returned to his old home in this county. In 1878 he moved to Unionville, where he carried on the furniture business in connection with undertaking for three years. In the spring of 1881 he came to Moravia, and engaged in his present well-established business, where he has met with success, keeping on hand a good stock of everything pertaining to his line of business. He also runs a millinery store, to which he gives a part of his time. Mr. Hayes has a very fine apiary at his home, often having from twenty-five to fifty stands of bees, from which he obtains a large yield of honey. He has had an experience of forty years in this industry, commencing when he was a boy nine years old, and has become thoroughly acquainted with the habits and wants of bees, therefore is successful in caring for them, and is rewarded by the profits they bring him.
COLONEL EUGENE C. HAYNES was born near Abington, Illinois, May 11, 1844, the only son of Rev. Cyrus and Mahala (Smith) Haynes, the father a native of Tennessee and the mother of Kentucky, both of Scotch descent. His mother died when he was very young and in 1850 his father brought him to Van Buren County, Iowa, leaving him with his uncle, James Kennedy, with whom he lived until 1852, when, his father having married again and settled at Centerville, he returned to his father's home. In 1861 he enlisted in Company D, Sixth Iowa Infantry. He was mustered in as a private and after various promotions he was commissioned First Lieutenant, in August, 1864. He participated in a number of engagements, among the most important being at Athens, Missouri, Shiloh, Vicksburg, Jackson, Chattanooga, and in the Atlanta campaign. August 22, 1864, he was wounded by a rifle ball which necessitated three amputations of his right arm. After being in the hospital at Marietta, Georgia, he returned home on a sixty days' furlough when he was ordered to join his regiment, which at that time was stationed in the Carolinas. He left New York City for Hilton Heath, South Carolina, on the steamer Fulton, and while on board acted as Adjutant. From Hilton Heath he went to Wilmington, North Carolina, where several thousand soldiers absent from the regiments, were organized into companies and regiments and started on the march to join the regular army at Raleigh, Mr. Haynes again acting as Adjutant. At Raleigh he was detailed commanding officer of the Provost Guard of the Fourth Division, Fifteenth Army Corps, holding this position till after the grand review at Washington, in May, 1865. He then rejoined his regiment at Louisville, Kentucky, and was there detailed to take the muster roll and regimental property to Davenport, Iowa, where he was mustered out in August, 1865.
Shortly after his discharge from the service he attended a private school at Birmingham, Iowa, for two terms, when he entered the Iowa State University, at Iowa City, where he studied for two years. He then, in the fall of 1868, returned to Centerville, and in the following October was elected recorder of Appanoose County, holding that office by re-election for four years, and during this time he studied law under the preceptorship of Honorable H. Tannehill and was admitted to the bar about 1870. After the expiration of his term of office as recorder he formed a partnership with W. F. Vermillion, practicing law under the firm name of Vermillion & Haynes until 1880. He then retired from the firm and became associated with Hon. A. J. Baker, the present attorney general of Iowa, and ex-attorney general of the State of Missouri, when the law firm of Baker & Haynes, of Centerville, was formed. In February, 1884, Mr. Haynes was appointed postmaster of Centerville when he dissolved his partner ship with Mr. Baker, and is now the present incumbent. Mr. Haynes has served three terms as mayor of Centerville. In 1882 he was chosen chief clerk of the House of Representatives of Iowa. He was married in 1871 to Miss Elma M. Felkner, daughter of Hon. Henry Felkner, one of the first settlers of Iowa City, a representative of the Territorial Legislature, and a member of the first Iowa State Legislature. Mr. and Mrs. Haynes have six children: Henry C., Bessie L., Glenn C., Lee R., Olive and Eugene C., all but Eugene attending the schools of Centerville. Mr. Haynes is a member of the Odd Fellows order, belonging to the lodge and encampment, Patriarch Militant Temple at Centerville. He is also a member of Centerville Lodge, No. 64, K. of P., of which he is chancellor commander, and is a comrade of John L. Bashore Post, No. 122, G.A.R., of which he is commander.
ROBERT HENDERSON, Mayor of Centerville, Iowa, was born in Russellville, Putnam County, Indiana, in 1836. His parents, William S. and Sarah (Miller) Henderson, were natives of Kentucky, his father of Scotch and his mother of Irish ancestry. In 1849 they came to Iowa and lived in Ottumwa till the spring of 1850, when they removed to Appanoose County. W. S. Henderson was a mechanic and carried on blacksmithing in Centerville several years, and subsequently kept a hotel and also dealt in stock. Giving up the hotel he devoted his attention to farming and stock-dealing till his death in 1873, aged seventy years. The mother is living and divides her time with her children in Centerville and Kansas, going and coming at will. Robert Henderson remained with his parents till manhood, assisting his father in the various occupations in which he was engaged. The spring he became of age he was elected constable of Center Township, and held the office by re-election a number of years. In 1870 he was elected chief marshal of Centerville, and held the same by re-election nine years. In the fall of 1882 he was elected justice of the peace, and was re-elected in 1884, the term being two years. In the spring of 1884 he was elected mayor of Centerville, and was re-elected in 1885, now serving his second term. He has been an efficient public officer, and has won the confidence of the people who have trusted him, always serving them in a careful and praiseworthy manner. In 1881 Mr. Henderson fell from a trestle over the bridge of the Wabash Railroad and received serious injuries, from the effects of which he has never recovered. In politics he adheres to the principles of the Republican party, and during the war was a staunch Union man. He was married at Blakesburg, Iowa, to Eliza A. Grimes. They have a family of three sons: Edward E., manufacturer of cigars at Centerville ; Frank M. and Harry Howard.
GEORGE ALEXANDER HENRY, M.D., Centerville, Iowa, was born in Bloomington, Illinois, in 1857, a son of Levi McD. And Ellen (Boyd) Henry. He was but five years old when his parents removed to Centerville, Iowa, and therefore his education was obtained in the public schools of that city. Choosing the medical profession as his lifework he, in 1875, when eighteen years of age, entered the office of Dr. E. M. Reynolds, and read under his preceptorship three years. He took three courses of lectures at the Keokuk College of Physicians and Surgeons, graduating in March, 1880. After his graduation he went to Montana with the purpose of locating, but returned to Centerville in August of the same year and began his practice, being associated with his preceptor until 1883, and in that year took a course at Chicago, Illinois, Medical College. From 1880 till 1883 he was employed as surgeon for the Wabash Railroad, and in 1883 was health officer for the city of Centerville. In September, 1885, he was appointed United States examining surgeon for pensions, located at Centerville. In politics he affiliates with the Democratic party. He was married May 8, 1880, to Miss Jessie Spooner, a native of Centerville, daughter of Deck A. Spooner. They have one child: William, born January 29, 1886. Dr. Henry is a member of Loyalty Lodge, No. 246, A.O.U.W.
LEVI MCDONALD HENRY, merchant tailor, Centerville, Iowa, is a native of Ohio, born in Martinsburg, Knox County, September 11, 1832. His mother died when he was eleven years of age, and the home being broken up he was thus early thrown on his own resources, and began to learn the tailor's trade. He went to Mt. Vernon when he was thirteen years old, and there worked at his trade until he was seventeen, when he went to Columbus and worked a year. In 1851 he came West and worked at his trade in Washington, Missouri; Springfield, Bloomington and Clinton, Illinois; St. Paul, Minnesota, and Platte City, Missouri, coming from the latter place to Iowa in September, 1863. He opened a store in Centerville, dealing in both custom and ready made clothing, and in 1867 opened a branch store in Memphis, Missouri. March 1, 1864, he enlisted in the Union army, as a private, in Company F, Thirty-sixth Iowa Infantry, to serve three years or during the war. Four days after his enlistment he was captured at Mark's Mills, and was a prisoner at Camp Ford, Texas, ten months. He at one time, with three others, made his escape, and after hiding in the swamps seventeen days and subsisting principally on parched corn, they were recaptured at Grand de Coxe, Louisiana. He was discharged in 1865 and returned to Centerville, and resumed his business he had left to enter the service, and is now having a good trade. He was married October 27, 1853, to Miss Ellen Boyd. To them were born two children: John W. and George Alexander. The former died August 27, 1883, aged twenty-eight years. Mr. Henry is a member of the Masonic fraternity, lodge, chapter and commandery, at Centerville. He is a comrade of John L. Bashore Post, No. 122, G.A.R. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
LEWIS HIATT, a representative of one of the oldest families of Taylor Township, was born in Davidson County, North Carolina, July 17, 1837, a son of William Sewell and Mahala Hayworth (Hittale) Hiatt, natives of North Carolina, the father born in 1811 and the mother in 1808. The family consisted of seven children: Riley, Lewis, Israel, W. A., Nancy (wife of James Meadows), Elijah and Mary E. (wife of Eli Tucker). Lewis Hiatt was reared in Appanoose County, and obtained the greater part of his education under the tutorship of George W. Taylor, well known in Appanoose County. He remained with his parents until the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion, when, in August, 1862, he enlisted in Company C, Thirty-sixth Iowa Infantry, and served three years, participating in many severe battles, including Helena, Duval's Bluffs, White River, Little Rock, Mark's Mills. At the latter battle his regiment was captured, but he being a teamster at that time escaped. He was mustered out in July, 1865, and returned to Appanoose County to his father's home, where he remained until his marriage in 1867, to Nancy E., daughter of Wiley Tucker, of Appanoose County. After his marriage he settled on his present farm, which contains ninety acres of good land, and has since devoted his attention to agriculture and stock-raising. His residence and farm buildings are comfortable and in good repair, and his land is all under cultivation. He has served as trustee and school director of his township. He and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist church. They have four children: Luella J., Effie C., H. S. and James Verna.
HAGUE HOFFMAN, M.D., Moravia, Iowa, is one of the oldest resident physicians of Appanoose County. He was born in Greene County, Pennsylvania, August 24, 1831, and passed his boyhood on his father's farm, receiving a moderate education in the common schools. He followed school teaching for a short time, then entered the high school at Waynesburg, Pennsylvania, where he was a diligent student. In the spring of 1852 he crossed the great Western Plains, spending four years, with varying success financially, in the golden State of California, during which time he made a trip to Sitka Island, off the coast of Russian America, now Alaska, returning to the home of his parents in Greene County, Pennsylvania, in the spring of 1856, remaining with them until the fall of 1857, when he came to the State of Iowa, and for several years lived in Unionville, Appanoose County, (except for about one year, which he spent in the new gold fields of Colorado), and there in Unionville he began the study of medicine under Dr. S. H. Sawyer, an eminent physician and surgeon. He attended lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Cincinnati, Ohio. He began his practice of medicine in Unionville, Appanoose County, Iowa, where he was very successful, and made many friends, remaining there until January, 1865, when he removed to Moravia, Iowa, where he has since lived. He has an extensive practice, being well known throughout the county as a successful and skillful physician and surgeon. Dr. Hoffman was married in July, 1859, to Miss Julia F. Roberts, of near Unionville. They have two children, a son and daughter: Charles L. and Jessie B. Charles L. finished his education when quite young, in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, married Miss Stella Spaulding, youngest daughter of Dr. Spaulding, of Mount Pleasant, and engaged in the drug trade in Moravia two or three years, when his health failed him; quitting drugs, he engaged in the land-trade with the Williamses, in Western Nebraska and Eastern Colorado and Wyoming. Jessie B., a bright and beautiful girl, still remains at home with her father.
SAMUEL G. HOUSER, an enterprising farmer of Lincoln Township, Appanoose County, was born in Fulton County, Pennsylvania, near Bedford, May 1, 1847, the youngest of a family of seven children of Bernard and Eleanor (Logan) Houser, who were also natives of the same State, and were of German and Irish descent, respectively. They resided in Bedford County till the fall of 1855 when they came to Iowa, locating in Lee County, where the father died in 1863. After the death of the father the family settled on a small farm in Lee County, living there till coming to Wayne County in the fall of 1865. Our subject and his mother came to Appanoose County in 1876, when they settled on his present farm, on section 6, Lincoln Township, which contains 160 acres of choice land. He has met with success in his agricultural pursuits, and besides his home farm, is the owner of 154 acres of meadow and timberland, which he has acquired by his own industry and good management. He is quite an extensive stock-raiser, and is making a specialty of Poland-China hogs, and a high grade of cattle. He was married in 1870 to Mary Bateman, of Lee County, Iowa, a daughter of William Bateman, who is now a resident of Wayne County. They have six children: Charles P., Max M., David L., Clinton, Orvil E. and Martha E.
CHARLES FREDERICK HOWELL, attorney at law, Centerville, is the youngest of two sons of Charles H. and Lavinia (Ward) Howell, pioneers of Appanoose County. He was born in Centerville, March 24, 1860, and received his early education in the common schools. When eighteen years of age he entered Iowa College, at Grinnell, and in January, 1881, began the study of law in the office of Tannehill & Fee. He was admitted to the bar in March, 1882, and at once located in Centerville. November 27, 1883, he was married at Lawrenceburg, Kentucky, to Miss Anna Maddox. They have one child: Winnifred. In politics Mr. Howell is a Republican. He is a member of Jackson Lodge, No. 42, F. & A. M., of which he is junior warden, and Centerville Lodge, No. 64, K. of P., of which he is past chancellor. He is a member of the Presbyterian and his wife of the Christian church.
CHARLES HENRY HOWELL was born in Southampton, Suffolk County, New York, April 17, 1823. His parents were Henry B. and Electa (Beach) Howell, natives of New York, of English descent. His father died when he was about eighteen months old, and he was reared by a widowed mother. In 1855 she removed to Centerville, and made his house her home till her death in 1859, aged sixty-one years. When twenty years of age he went to New York City, where he attended school and clerked until 1847, when he came to Iowa and located at Centerville, Appanoose County, where he built a log store building, in which he engaged in general merchandising about three years. He then built a business house on the public street, and in 1856 a still larger one to accommodate his increasing business. In 1871 he retired from active business, giving it up to younger hands. He has also dealt to some extent in real estate, and has platted two additions to Centerville. He was one of the organizers of the First National Bank of Centerville, and has since been one of its directors, and for several years has been its vice-president. In 1874 he was one of the organizers of the First National Bank of Lancaster, Missouri, now the Schuyler County Bank, of which he was president until 1876, when the State of Missouri passed a law prohibiting non-residents from holding offices in banks, although he still owns a controlling interest. He was one of the active workers in getting the Missouri, Iowa & Nebraska and the Rock Island railroads built through Centerville, and was director and treasurer of the former road two years during its construction. Mr. Howell has been twice married, first in New York City in 1850, to Lavinia Ward, who died in 1881, aged fifty-eight years. To them were born five children: Mary, Anna, Edward, Frederick and Emma. In 1883 Mr. Howell married Mrs. Mary ( Dunbar ) Pigham, of Allegheny City, Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Howell are members of the Presbyterian church, of which he has been ruling elder since 1850.
JOHN HUDSON, the oldest resident of Johns Township, and one of the first settlers, is a native of North Carolina, born in Lenoir County, near Kingston, October 19, 1808, a son of John and Mary (Lolla) Hudson, natives of the same State. When he was eight years old his parents moved to Sumner County, Tennessee, and there he was reared. His father died in 1830 and the family subsequently moved to Illinois, locating in Adams County, where the mother died in 1858. Of a family of five sons and six daughters, two sons and three daughters are living. John Hudson was reared on a farm, attending in his youth the subscription school. Being studious he acquired sufficient knowledge of the common branches to enable him to teach, an avocation he followed several winters. He was married in August, 1834, to Anna E. Elam, the eldest daughter of Joel and Frances Elam, of Sumner County, Tennessee, and in the fall of the same year moved to Bond County, Illinois, where he worked at farming in the summer and taught school during the winter for several years. In June, 1849, he moved with his family to Appanoose County, Iowa, and settled on section 1, in what is now Johns Township, pre-empting a claim of 160 acres. This he sold in 1853, and then bought 200 acres on the same section where he now lives, owning now 125 acres. His first house was a cabin made of round logs. In this he lived three years and then built a larger and better one of hewed logs. Centerville at that time was a village of log houses. The voters of the township when organized were thirteen in number, seven of whom were named John, and from this circumstance the township received its name.
Mr. Hudson has held various local offices of trust, among others that of trustee, assessor, clerk and justice of the peace. The latter office he held four years and was again elected but refused to qualify. He has been a member of the Baptist church since 1858, and has served as deacon several years. The first meetings of the church in Johns Township were held in his house. He cast his first vote for President Jackson and has since held to the principles of the Democratic party. Mr. and Mrs. Hudson have shared the joys and sorrows of life together for a period of fifty-two years, and now in their last days are experiencing the pleasures and comforts which are the result of well-spent and honorable lives. They have had a family of twelve children, several of whom survive to bless their declining years: Mary F. married Samuel Herbolt and died leaving nine children; James E. died in infancy; Nancy J. is the wife of William Buck, and has six children; Sarah is the wife of David Haines and has five children; Thomas J. is deceased; Martha A. is the wife of William Dorrah, and has nine children; Eliza is the wife of Alex Haines and has seven children; John H. married Charlotte Curl and has four children; Elizabeth is the wife of Charles Fowler and has three children; Benjamin F.; Joseph married Ida Rollins, and is living in Kansas; William is at home.