Historical Record of Wayne and Appanoose Counties, Iowa
Chicago: Inter-State Pub. Co., 1886.
Unless noted, biographies were submitted by
ELISHA RANSOM, one of the pioneers of Washington Township, Appanoose County, was born near Lawrenceburgh, April 11, 1831, a son of Joseph and Corinthia (Swift) Ransom, the father born in Woodstock, Vermont, and the mother a native of Utica, New York. They were among the early settlers of Indiana, remaining in that State till their death, the mother dying when our subject was but eleven years old. Elisha Ransom was reared to the occupation of a farmer, and has always followed agricultural pursuits. His education was obtained at the common schools of Madison, Indiana. He was married in his native State at the age of nineteen years, to Mary Hays, a native of Jefferson County, Indiana. They have seven children: James K., Mary H. (wife of O. Spullin), Nancy J. (wife of W. P. Taylor, of Appanoose County ), Joseph H., Abraham L., Minnie G., Ulysses E. Mr. Ransom came to Iowa in his twenty-first year, and located in Lee County, remaining there three years. He came to Appanoose County in 1856 and settled on his present farm, his original purchase being 100 acres, for which he paid $4 per acre. He began life a poor boy, being thrown on his own resources after the death of his mother. He has led an industrious life, and has met with success in his general farming and stock-raising, and is at present devoting his attention to raising fine cattle and horses. He has added to his real estate till he now has 635 acres of choice land, all under cultivation. Mr. Ransom has served his township as trustee and treasurer for five years. He has been school director for many years, and has also served as highway commissioner.
FRANK A. REICH, one of the prominent business men of Moravia, is a native of Salem, North Carolina, born June 30, 1848, the eldest son of H. E. and Ann Aurelia (Herbst) Reich. In April, 1850, his parents moved to Appanoose County, Iowa, and settled on a farm near the present site of Moravia, where he was reared and educated, attending the public schools. In 1869 his father sold the farm and bought a saw-mill, and when he was twenty-one years of age he began working in the mill, continuing there about nine years. From 1878 till December, 1882, he worked at the carpenter's trade. In the fall of 1882 he took charge of the lumber yard of W. M. Peatman, and also bought grain for the firm of Stanton & Kirkham, of Centerville, still continuing the latter business. In March, 1885, he and his brother Junius bought the lumber business, and have a large and constantly increasing trade, their yard being the only one in the place. Mr. Reich was married in November, 1881, to Miss Pearlie Weimberg, of Augusta, Illinois. They have two children: H. Claude and Clarence P. Mr. Reich is a member of Antiquity Lodge, No. 252, A. F. & A. M.
AUGUST RICHARD was born in France, October 13, 1825. In his fifteenth year he began to learn the trade of a stone-cutter, at which he worked till nearly twenty-one, when he was conscripted into the French army, and served about seven years, participating in the Revolution of 1848. On leaving the army, in October, 1852, he returned to his home and the following March came to the United States. In 1855 he moved to Iowa, and worked for a short time at Keosauqua, and subsequently was employed on the asylum at Mt. Pleasant. In April, 1860, he located at Centerville, where he took contracts on stone work until 1868, when he became established in his present business—manufacturing in marble and granite ware. In 1863 he became a stock-holder in the First National Bank of Centerville, and in 1870 was one of the incorporators of the Campbell Banking Company, which in 1873 was merged into the Farmers' National Bank, and he was chosen one of its directors. November 16, 1854, he was married at Sandusky, Ohio, to Lizzie Philpolt. They have three children: Julia, Josephine and Benjamin F. Mr. Richard and his family are members of the Presbyterian church.
S. K. RINARD was born June 20, 1826, in Washington County, Ohio, near the bank of the Little Muskingum River. His grandfather, Isaac Rinard, was born east of the Allegheny Mountains and lived to the age of ninety-seven years. He was bound out when a boy to learn the tanner's trade, but before his apprenticeship expired ran away from his master and made his way across the mountains, and settled on the Allegheny River, near the present site of Oil City, Pennsylvania, and became, no doubt, the owner of millions of gallons of oil, although he never knew it, as he sold his farm in 1814 and with his family and mill machinery floated on a lumber raft down the river to Washington County, Ohio. His mill burrs were quarried out of the Laurel Hill Mountains and are still in use, being until within a few years owned by some member of the family. The grandfather never learned to read English, and his old German Bible is still in the family, although none of them are able to read it. He served in the Indian war of 1792, being a scout under General Anthony Wayne. He was an expert hunter, and the woods and mountains of his native State furnished him plenty of sport of this kind. He was twice married, the father of our subject, John Rinard, being a son of his first wife. John Rinard was born near Oil City, Pennsylvania, June 1, 1801. He as also a miller, following the business over fifty years. He had no educational advantages and was never able to read. He was married when twenty-two years old to Nancy Rea, who was born in County Down, Ireland, in 1802, and came to America with her parents when thirteen years old. They commenced their married life poor, but by economy accumulated enough to help each of their children procure a comfortable home. The father died aged eighty-two years, and the mother age eighty-one, after a married life of sixty years, dying within eight months of each other. They had a family of seven sons and five daughters, all but one living to years of maturity. S. K. Rinard was reared as was common with boys in his day, receiving only a limited education in the subscription schools. His youth was spent in his father's mill, and he continued his father's assistant until twenty-six years old. In 1850 he wanted to go to California with the gold hunters, but the entreaties of his mother kept him at home. In 1855 he came West, and after visiting Iowa and Missouri, returned to Illinois and entered eighty acres in Henderson County. He then returned home, but in 1857 went to Kansas and entered a homestead, and lived among the Indians and border ruffians. He enlisted in the Kansas State militia, under Jim Lane, but was never called into active service. He was taken sick with Kansas ague and in May, 1858, sold his land and located in what is now Cambria, Iowa. This town he laid out, and has been instrumental in building up its material interests. He was married in October, 1858, to Anna Greenlee, and to them were born four children. The mother died when the youngest was but a few days old. In 1868 he married Mrs. Matilda Shell. They have three children.
JACOB RUMMEL, manufacturer and dealer in patent medicines at Centerville, was born in Adams County, Pennsylvania, in 1826. At the age of nine years he was brought by his parents to Richland County, Ohio, where he was reared to maturity on a farm. He left the home farm at the age of twenty, after which he clerked in Ohio in the towns of Newville, Mount Vernon and Lancaster. He came to Iowa in the spring of 1850, and was employed as clerk in Keokuk until the spring of 1856, when he clerked for a year at Centerville, Appanoose County. He then became associated with William Clark in the general mercantile business, under the firm name of Clark & Rummel. In 1860 John L. Bashore became Mr. Clark's successor, when the firm name was changed to Rummel & Bashore, this firm continuing till 1864, when Mr. Bashore was killed while acting as provost marshal in the Union service. In November, 1864, Mr. Rummel, having been elected clerk of the County Courts, discontinued his mercantile pursuits to take charge of that office in January, 1865, serving as such one term of two years. He then resumed his mercantile business, which he carried on till 1872, after which he acted as agent of the Missouri, Iowa & Nebraska Railway, at Centerville. In 1872 he moved his business to Unionville, Missouri, where he met with reverses by having too much confidence in a man with whom he had been associated. In 1881 he emigrated South and engaged in business at Siloam Springs, Arkansas, until 1883, when he sold out and returned to Centerville, when he became interested in his present business, acting as agent for the firm of F. Eells & Son. February 9, 1858, he married to Mrs. Sarah Jane (Henkle) Cutler, of Appanoose County, who died at Centerville, July 9, 1874, leaving three children: Fanny E., Willie C. and Charles C. Mr. Rummel is an active and enterprising citizen, and has taken an interest in every undertaking for the advancement of Centerville. While serving as county clerk he, assisted by Amos Harris and E. W. Henkle, planted the trees in the court-house park. He was also largely instrumental in the erection of the soldiers' memorial monument in the court-house park. He was director of the Missouri, Iowa & Nebraska Railway for seven years, two years of the time being secretary of the company. He was for several years a director of the First National Bank at Centerville. While serving as president of the board of education of Centerville, the first of the present school buildings was erected. Mr. Rummel also acted very efficiently as councilman of Centerville for several years.
HENRY AUSTIN RUSSELL, agent of the United States and Pacific express companies, at Centerville, Iowa, was born near Jefferson, Pennsylvania, April 23, 1851, the youngest of seven sons of James and Sarah Russell, natives of Pennsylvania, of Irish ancestry. In 1861 his parents came to Iowa and settled on a farm near Bloomfield, Davis County, where the mother died in October, 1875, aged seventy years, and the father December 27, 1883, aged eighty-five years. When nineteen years of age our subject went to Little Rock, Arkansas, and taught school in that city about two years, and in 1872 became associated with his brother and others in the mercantile business at Lewisburg, Arkansas, under the firm name, Russell, Mason & Co. In 1875 he retired from the firm, and was employed as bookkeeper by the Singer Sewing Machine Company at Little Rock a year. In 1876 he located in Centerville, where, until 1884, he was in the drug business, and in the meantime he erected the Russell Opera Block, at a cost of $12, 000. In politics he is a Republican. He was reared in the faith of the Presbyterian church and is now a member of that denomination. January 16, 1884, he married Ella Rogers, of Jefferson, Pennsylvania, a daughter of Dr. W. D. Rogers. They have one child: Miles Winston, born August 15, 1885. Mr. Russell is a member of the Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias orders.
JOHN LAZELLE SAWYERS, M. D., one of the prominent young physicians of Appanoose County, is a native of this county, born in Unionville, July 18, 1856, a son of Dr. Sylvester and Mary F. (Miller) Sawyers, both natives of Tennessee, and of English ancestry. His father is a leading physician of Appanoose County, and very well and favorably known throughout the State of Iowa. He was educated in the district schools, and when eighteen years of age began the study of medicine with his father. During the summer of 1875 and the winter of 1875-'76 he attended the Chicago Medical College, and in the spring of 1876 entered the Kentucky School of Medicine at Louisville, from which he graduated the following June, receiving a gold medal for proficiency in all branches, and also the first prize for surgery. After his graduation he practiced with his father at Unionville until the fall of 1877, when he again attended the Chicago Medical College, from which he also received the degree of M. D. in March, 1878. Prior to this, in February, 1878, he was appointed physician of Cook County Hospital, obtained by competitive examination, and served as such eighteen months, the time required. By the unanimous request of the Medical Board he remained in the institution three months longer, and in October, 1879, returned to Unionville and resumed his practice. In February, 1880, he started on a European tour, spending nearly two years in the old world, the most of the time in attending clinical lectures at the various hospitals of Vienna. He traveled through a greater part of France and Germany visiting most of their important cities, and also made a trip through Switzerland and Italy. In June, 1881, he was called home by the severe illness of his father. After his father's recovery they practiced together in Unionville till 1883, when he located in Centerville, where he has a large and constantly increasing practice. Dr. Sawyers was married June 12, 1883, to Miss Jennie Drake, daughter of General F. M. and Mary (Lord) Drake. They have one child: Mary D. In politics Dr. Sawyers is a firm believer in the principles of the Republican party. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, lodge at Unionville, and chapter and commandery at Centerville.
NOAH M. SCOTT was born in Morgan County, Indiana, May 25, 1841, a son of David B. and Nancy (Ray) Scott, his father a native of Indiana and his mother of Kentucky. In 1853 his parents moved to Iowa and made their home in Walnut Township, Appanoose County, where the father improved a farm on which he lived the rest of his life. At his death he owned 800 acres of valuable land. He died at Barnesville, Kansas, in January, 1862, where he had gone to visit Noah M., who was sick with the measles. The mother is still living on a part of the homestead. They had a family of eight children, Noah being the eldest. The others are Calvin R., who served in the Fifth Kansas Cavalry and died of consumption in 1868, leaving a wife and two children, the former dying the next year; Bedford enlisted in the Forty-third Iowa, 100 days' service and died at Davenport, when on his way home; Thomas lives in Stafford County, Kansas; Clayton and Milton, in Walnut Township, and Hettie died aged seven years.
Noah M. Scott enlisted August 12, 1861, in Company D, Fifth Kansas Infantry, and in January, 1862, was transferred to the Sixth Kansas Cavalry. In the fall of 1861 he served in the Fremont campaign, and the next eighteen months was on detached duty on the Missouri borders, scouting and hunting bushwhackers. In the fall of 1863 he went South with General Blunt, and in the winter of 1863-‘4 was stationed at Forts Gibson and Smith. July 27, 1864, while on outpost duty, he was captured by the rebels near Fort Smith, and was confined at Tyler, Texas, ten months. May 25, 1865, he was exchanged, and July 17, 1865, was honorably discharged at Fort Leavenworth. He was a gallant soldier and his service was creditable and honorable. The hardships he endured, especially while in prison, so undermined his health that he now justly receives a pension from the Government. Mr. Scott was married April 17, 1860, to Miss Persis Stark, who was born in Indiana, August 20, 1843, a daughter of Jeremiah and Sarah A. Stark, who settled in Walnut Township, on section 8, in 1848. The father died the same year and the mother afterward married Elijah Bartlett, and lives in Stafford County, Kansas. After the war Mr. Scott lived on a farm of eighty acres on section 8, Walnut Township, until 1879, when he moved to Wayne County, where he lived five years, the last year being spent in Promise City. In 1884 he moved to the farm where he now lives, which is a part of his father's homestead. Mr. and Mrs. Scott have one daughter: Minnie, wife of J. R. Luce, of section 4, Walnut Township. She has three children: Claude, Clay and Ray. Mr. and Mrs. Scott are members of the Christian church. He is a member of Jackson Lodge, No. 42, F. and A. M., at Centerville. In politics he is a Republican and has served in several local positions of trust and responsibility.
PRESLEY W. SEARS, one of the early settlers of Appanoose County, was born in Fairfax County, Virginia, April 29, 1806, a son of Charles Lee and Elizabeth ( Wooster ) Sears, natives of the same State, of English descent. His grandfather, Barnard Sears, came to America in 1727, and settled in Virginia. He was one of the workmen employed in building General Washington's residence, at Mt. Vernon. His maternal grandfather, John Wooster, was born in London, and came to America as a soldier during the Revolutionary war. In 1836 our subject removed from Virginia to Ohio, and settled near Zanesville, Muskingum County, where he lived about twenty years, and in 1856 removed with his family to Appanoose County, Iowa, entering 320 acres of land three miles west of Moravia, where he lived until 1870, when he retired from the busy cares of life, and moved to the village of Moravia. Mr. Sears was married in 1831 to Ann M. Caton, a native of Fairfax County, Virginia. She died in September, 1863, leaving seven children. He subsequently married Mrs. Orlensa Wright, a native of Pennsylvania, daughter of Robert Johnston. They have one daughter: Flora E. M.
PETER SIDLES, one of the pioneers and a representative farmer of Lincoln Township, Appanoose County, was born near Blanchester, Clinton County, Ohio, June 4, 1823, the eldest son of Israel Sidles, who was a native of Pennsylvania. The father went to Ohio when a boy, and was married in that State to Nancy Morrison, who was also a native of Pennsylvania, born November 30, 1801. They had a family of eleven children, eight of whom are yet living, our subject being the third child of this marriage. The father died during the late war, in January, 1865, and his widow still resides on the old homestead in Ohio. Our subject's grandfather, Peter Sidles, was a native of Germany, coming to America when about fifteen years of age. He served as a soldier in the war of the Revolution. Peter Sidles, the subject of this sketch, passed his youth on the old homestead, receiving his education at the district schools. At the age of twenty-three years he was married to Susan Crossan, a native of Clinton County, Ohio, she and her husband being playmates in that county. They have had seven children born to them: Maria, wife of James Pendergast; Mary M., wife of Rev. Andrew Kershaw, now of Nebraska; Hannah E., wife of George B. Sagerty, of Concordia, Kansas; John A. is married, has four children, and a home near the homestead; Nancy J. died when about eighteen years of age; George I. and Susan A., at home. After his marriage Mr. Sidles settled on 112 acres of land where he continued to reside till the fall of 1854. He then came to Appanoose County, Iowa, locating on his present farm on section 3, where he purchased a tract of land containing 430 acres of which but forty acres had been broken. A small log cabin had been erected on this land in which he lived several years, when it was moved back and an addition built to it. Mr. Sidles's chief occupation has been general farming and stock-raising, being very successful, especially in hog and cattle raising, and has also devoted some attention to sheep-raising. He has at present some very fine cattle and horses on his farm. In August, 1861, Mr. Sidles enlisted in Company B, Sixth Kansas Cavalry and served in the western army. He spent two years on the borders between Kansas and Missouri, taking part in several skirmishes. He was wounded near Fort Smith, Arkansas, and was taken prisoner. He was confined in a stockade at Tyler, Texas, with some 4,000 men for about seven months. He received an honorable discharge at Leavenworth, Kansas, in April, 1865, when he returned to his home in Lincoln Township, where he has since followed agricultural pursuits. Mr. Sidles served his township as trustee and treasurer, and assessor for one term, beside holding the office of justice of the peace for eleven years. He and his wife and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which he holds several official positions. In early life he was a Democrat, but since the organization of the Republicans he has affiliated with that party.
JOSEPH P. SMITH, M. D., of Moulton, Iowa, is a native of the Keystone State, born in Westmoreland County, near the village of Donegal, August 27, 1828, the eldest of a family of eight children, of Valentine and Fanny (Phillips) Smith, natives also of Pennsylvania, of Irish and German descent. In an early day his parents moved to Ohio, and settled in Tuscarawas County, later going to Williams County, where they both died. The youth of our subject was spent on a farm, and his early education was obtained in the common school, later attending the high school. He began teaching when quite young, and while engaged in this avocation began the study of medicine. He commenced reading under the direction of Dr. W. C. Morrison, of West Unity, Ohio. He entered the Eclectic Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio, from which he graduated in 1852. He commenced his practice in Williams County. In the fall of 1853 he came to Iowa and located in Van Buren County, where he lived two years, and in 1855 moved to Blakesburg, Wapello County, and two years later to Milledgeville. In 1859 he located in Centerville, and in 1860 in Orleans, where he lived nine years. In May, 1869, he removed to Moulton, where he has since lived, and has built up a good practice. In addition to his professional duties Dr. Smith has devoted considerable attention to literature, and is an able contributor to a number of local journals. He was married in 1854 to Abigail Gast, of Van Buren County, Iowa. They have a family of four children: Valentine, Napoleon B., Josephine and Flora B. Josephine is the wife of W. J. May, and Flora, of B. F. Dye. N. B. is an attorney at Sulphur Springs, Montana. Dr. Smith is a member of the Odd Fellows order, Moulton Lodge, No. 297, and Prairie Gem Encampment, No. 80.
CALVIN FINLEY SPOONER, justice of the peace, Centerville, Iowa, was born near Paoli, Orange County, Indiana, June 24, 1825, a son of Benjamin and Martha (Ware) Spooner, his father a native of New York, of English descent, and his mother a native of Kentucky. His parents came to Iowa in 1839, and settled on a farm near West Point, Lee County. Later they moved to Davis County, and from there to Appanoose County in the spring of 1845. The claim which they improved is part of the original plat of Centerville. The father died in 1873, aged seventy-one years. He was an extensive farmer, and also engaged in the mercantile business at Centerville several years. From boyhood he was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and always took an active part in church work, for many years holding official positions. He also was much interested in the material progress of Centerville, always assisting liberally in the advancement of any enterprise of benefit, either socially or materially. The mother still survives, at the advanced age of eighty-one years, living with her sons in Centerville. She has also been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church since her girlhood. She is the mother of seven children, but four of whom are living: Lindsey W., a farmer of Pleasant Township; Calvin F., James B. and Dexter A., of Centerville. Benjamin F. died in Centerville; Lemuel L. was a Lieutenant of Company G, Thirty-sixth Iowa Infantry, and died at Memphis, Tennessee, while in the service of his country, and Christina Ann, the only daughter, died in Centerville, in the sixteenth year of her age.
Calvin F. Spooner remained with his parents till twenty years of age and then went to Wisconsin and worked in the lead mines. Returning home a year later he made a claim near his father, which is also a part of the site of Centerville, and followed farming till the fall of 1856. He became a member of the Methodist Episcopal church in his sixteenth year, and upon leaving his farm in 1856, he joined the Southern Iowa Conference, and entered upon the work of an itinerant minister, and traveled in that connection six years. In the fall of 1862 he took a local relation to the conference, and has since lived in Centerville. When the county was first organized he was elected coroner, and by the resignation of the sheriff, A. J. Perjure, became sheriff, ex-officio. In 1880 he was elected justice of the peace, a position he still retains. In politics he adheres to the principles of the Republican party. January 4, 1849, he was married to Nancy, daughter of John Browning, a pioneer of Appanoose County. They have a family of six children: Frederick S., an engineer of the coal shaft at Trenton, Missouri; Martha A., wife of William Higginbotham, of Brazil, Iowa; Sabina L., John B., a machinist, in the employ of the Wabash Railroad; Clara Belle and William F. Mrs. Spooner is also an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church. C. F. Spooner is a member of Jackson Lodge, No. 42, F. & A. M.
DEXTER AUSTIN SPOONER, of the firm of Spooner & Co., drayers, Centerville, Iowa, was born in Greene County, Indiana, August 13, 1832, and is the fifth of six sons of Benjamin F. and Martha (Ware) Spooner. He was but thirteen years of age when his parents moved to Centerville and here he grew to manhood and early became identified with the business interests of the place. Until 1856 he was a clerk in his father's store at Centerville, and then became proprietor of the first stage line, and carried the first mail west to Clarinda, Iowa. In 1859 he sold out to the Western Stage Company and engaged in freighting from Keokuk and Alexandria, till the building of the Rock Island Railroad, and since then he has engaged in general draying in Centerville, his son, John W., and his nephew, Lemuel L. Spooner, being associated with him since 1885. From 1875 till 1883 he was also extensively engaged in dealing in coal. When the war of the Rebellion broke out he was Captain of the Centerville Cavalry Guards, and his company was often called upon to guard the Missouri frontier. Politically he is a Republican and an avowed Abolitionist. He was married December 24, 1855, to Elizabeth Ferguson. They had a family of five children, but four are living: Sarah, wife of J. D. Stier; Jessie, wife of George A. Henry, M.D.; John W. and Lizzie. Crissie died in 1867, aged three years. Mrs. Spooner died in 1870, aged thirty-four years. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and took an active interest in church work. May 27, 1872, Mr. Spooner married Miss C. B. Stratton, daughter of J. F. and Laura (Foster) Stratton, pioneers of Appanoose County. She is a member of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Spooner is a member of the Masonic fraternity, lodge and chapter, at Centerville.
JOSEPH STAUBER, one of the oldest men and one of the first settlers of Taylor Township, was born in Stokes County, North Carolina, September 30, 1804. His father, Christian Stauber, was a native of Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, of German ancestry, and was by trade a tailor. He went to North Carolina when a mere lad, and there married Anna M. Baumgardner, a native of Stokes County, and a descendant of a noble family. Of a family of eight children, two lived to maturity, and only one, our subject, is living. Benjamin died in Linn County, Missouri. Joseph Stauber was reared on a farm, and in his youth learned the trade of a blacksmith, which he followed many years. He lived in Salem, North Carolina, until the fall of 1849, when he came to Iowa, and in May, 1850, located on the farm where he now lives, which he entered from the Government. He built a fair house and made other substantial improvements and now has a pleasant home, his 220 acres of land being among the best in Taylor Township. He worked at the blacksmith's trade, building a shop on his farm when there was no town of Moravia. Abandoning his trade he devoted his entire attention to agriculture until his health induced him to give up the care of the farm to his son. He is a man of unquestionable integrity and was one of the organizers of the Moravian church in the village. He was married in February, 1832, to Dorothea E. Fogle, a native of Stokes County, North Carolina. She died in 1878. Mr. Stauber has a family of eight children: Maria, Benjamin C., Sophia L., Ellen M., William H., Alexander N., Charles E. and Anna R.
GEORGE LAWRENCE STEVENS, Moravia, was born near Corydon, in Harrison County, Indiana, September 9, 1814, a son of Benjamin and Nancy ( Arnold ) Stevens, the father born in Wythe County, Virginia, and the mother a native of Kentucky. They immigrated to Indiana in an early day, where the father died. Of the twelve children born to them six are still living. George L., our subject, was reared on a farm, his education being obtained in the common school. He learned the carpenter's, shoemaker's and blacksmith's trade, turning his attention principally to the blacksmith's trade, which he followed a number of years. He was united in marriage, in 1836, to Maria Fletcher, of Harrison County, Indiana, and reared a family of four sons and two daughters, five of the family still living, all of whom are married. Mr. Stevens removed with his family to Monroe County, Iowa, in the fall of 1850, locating four miles south of Albia, where he resided four years. He then came to Appanoose County, and settled three miles south of Moravia, where he carried on general farming and blacksmithing. He continued to reside on the farm till 1862, when he moved to Moravia, where he still followed farming in connection with his blacksmithing. He is now living retired from active life, taking that rest which he has so well earned by a life of industry. When Mr. Stevens settled in Monroe County the houses were few and those were made of sod. His customers came from Appanoose, Wayne and Decatur counties. He has served two terms as justice of the peace, and was supervisor of Taylor Township for two years, and has also held the position of township trustee. He is a member of the Predestinarian Baptist denomination. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity, a member of Moravia Lodge.
SAMUEL STEWART, proprietor of the Tremont Hotel, at Centerville, Iowa, was born at Grange Corner, County Antrim, Ireland, January 1, 1830. He was reared a farmer in his native country, remaining there until 1865, when he came to the United States. He first located at Fulton, Iowa, where he was employed by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company until 1873. He then removed to Centerville, still, however, remaining in the employ of the railroad company until 1879, and at the same time kept a boarding house near the railroad depot. From 1875 until 1885 he was the proprietor of a saloon in Centerville, which was a paying enterprise until the passage of the Iowa prohibition law, under which he was frequently arrested and fined for violating a law which he, like many others, believed could not be enforced. Since embarking in his present business he has been successful, and has now a large patronage. He is well known in Appanoose and adjoining counties, and has many friends, who familiarly call him “Uncle Samuel.” In politics he has always adhered to the principles of the Republican party, but in the Presidential election of 1884 cast his suffrage for Grover Cleveland. In 1855 he was married at his birthplace to Miss Margaret Clark, who died at Centerville, May 24, 1884, leaving three children: Lizzie, Anna and Robert. One daughter, Maggie, died in Ireland, aged eighteen months, and another, also named Maggie, in Centerville, in 1874, aged five years. Mr. and Mrs. Stewart were both reared in the faith of the Presbyterian church.
JAMES M. STONE, one of the early settlers of Johns Township, was born near New Haven, in Hartford County, Connecticut, August 27, 1809, a son of Christopher and Esther (Jerome) Stone, his father being a native of the State of Connecticut. His grandfather, Joseph Stone, was of English ancestry, and four of his brothers were soldiers in the Revolutionary war. Our subject's parents died in Connecticut, his father dying when he was sixteen years of age. They were the parents of ten children of whom our subject was the youngest. He and a sister are the only survivors of his father's family. He was reared on the home farm, remaining there till reaching maturity, and in his youth attended the common schools of his neighborhood. While on a visit to his brothers in New Jersey he was married to Eliza A. Wilcox, of that State. He then went to Ashtabula County, Ohio, where he settled on a farm and engaged in agricultural pursuits. He removed with his family to Appanoose County, Iowa, in the spring of 1859, and settled near his present farm in Johns Township, where he bought 160 acres of land, residing on the farm until 1873, when his wife died, leaving six children: Mary (wife of O. M. Powers, of Ohio), James L., Harriet J. (wife of Ambrose Curtis), John J., Alfred C. and Albertus W. The third child, Aurelius, was a member of a Wisconsin cavalry regiment, and died in the service. Mr. Stone began life poor, but by his untiring industry and strict economy he has become one of the well-to-do citizens of his township. His farm, which now belongs to his son, Alfred C., contains 200 acres, and is located on sections 14 and 15, Johns Township. Alfred C. Stone was married in 1865 to Anna H. Thurman, a native of Indiana, but at the time of her marriage living in Appanoose County, Iowa. She is a daughter of Senator Thurman, of Ohio. This union was blessed with four children: Eliza A., Walter J., Cora B. and Essa M. Alfred C. Stone makes a specialty of raising short-horn cattle, and is one of the enterprising farmers of his neighborhood, his farm showing thorough cultivation. James M. Stone, our subject, served as justice of the peace while living in Ohio. He is now seventy-seven years of age. He is an earnest member of the Methodist Episcopal church, all of his children becoming members of the same denomination at the age of sixteen years. Four of his sons served in the late civil war: James L., Aurelius L., John J. and Alfred C. The latter was a member of Company I, Thirty-sixth Iowa Infantry.
EDWARD TURNER STRATTON, surveyor of Appanoose County, Iowa, was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan, October 11, 1839, a son of Jonathan F. and Laura W. (Foster) Stratton. His parents came to Iowa in 1843, and settled in what is now Udell Township, Appanoose County. Jonathan F. Stratton was the first surveyor of the county, and filled that position several years. He made many of the first surveys of the county, either as civil engineer or county surveyor. He died August 8, 1884, aged nearly eighty-four years. His widow survives him, making her home with her children, and is now eighty-two years of age. When seventeen years of age our subject was apprenticed to learn the carpenter's trade, at which he worked some twenty years. In the spring of 1861 he enlisted in Company D, Sixth Iowa Infantry, but was discharged on account of disability the 22d of the following August. In December of the same year he again enlisted in Company F, Seventeenth Iowa Infantry, and served until January 30, 1863, when he was again discharged on account of disability. When a boy he was instructed by his father in the art of surveying, and this, added to private study, gave him a practical and theoretical knowledge of the business, and in 1878 he was employed on the engineer corps of the Missouri, Iowa & Northern Railway. In January, 1885, he was appointed county surveyor by the Board of Supervisors to fill a vacancy, and was reappointed in January, 1886. In politics he is a Democrat. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, lodge and chapter, and of John L. Bashore Post, No. 122, G.A.R.
GEORGE WASHINGTON STRICKLER, of the firm of Israel Brothers & Co., Centerville, Iowa, was born in Centerville, September 2, 1861, a son of David L. and Margaret Jane (McCreary) Strickler, natives of Pennsylvania, of English ancestry. He was educated in his native town, and when fourteen years of age began clerking. In 1883 he opened a restaurant, which he conducted until 1885, when he became associated with the Israel Brothers and his brother John J., forming the present firm. September 16, 1885, he was married to Miss Olive M. Biddle, a daughter of William M. and Eunice Biddle, old residents of Appanoose County. He is a member of Centerville Lodge, No. 64, K. of P.
JAMES N. SWAN, one of the leading stock men of Johns Township, Appanoose County, was born in Greene County, Pennsylvania, near the town of Carmichaels, August 12, 1837. He was the fifth of a family of ten children of Jesse and Elizabeth (Niel) Swan. Jesse Swan was a farmer by occupation. He died when our subject was but fourteen years of age. After the death of his father, James was thrown upon his own resources, when he began working on a farm at $6 per month. He continued on the farm till twenty years of age when he came West and assisted in taking through a drove of horses to Mount Pleasant, Henry County, Iowa. He then engaged to work on a farm in that county and about this time had a hard siege of the ague. The following year he ran a breaking team of four yoke of cattle. He then returned to his native county in Pennsylvania, but a year later came back to Henry County, Iowa. Owning a team, he engaged in breaking land, and the next fall bought a threshing machine which he operated during the winter. He was married in 1862 to Mary A. Maulding, of Henry County, this State. After his marriage he lived one year at Mount Pleasant, where he was employed as a salesman by the Coles Brothers, for whom he sold lightning rods for three years. In 1865 he came to Appanoose County, where he still continued in the employ of the Coles Brothers, being with that firm in all for twelve years. He then engaged in general farming and buying and selling stock, shipping his cattle largely to the Chicago markets. His first land was forty acres of raw prairie on which a small cabin had been erected, and to his original purchase he added till he had 160 acres. In 1873 he bought 240 acres of land on section 11, Johns Township, to which he removed his family the same year. His home farm now contains 640 acres, all in one body, besides which he owns a farm of 120 acres located in this vicinity, which is occupied by his son, W. L. Swan. He erected his fine substantial residence in 1876, and his barns and other farm buildings are among the best in his neighborhood. He devotes his entire attention to his farm and is making a specialty of high-grade short-horn cattle. Mrs. Swan died in Johns Township, February 4, 1877, leaving a family of five children, the youngest being but eighteen days old. Mr. Swan was again married in the fall of 1879 to Mary F. Andrews, who was a widow at the time of her marriage with Mr. Swan. This union has been blessed with one child. Mr. Swan is one of the self-made men of Appanoose County, having commenced life on his own account without a dollar, and by his own efforts became one of the well-to do citizens of the county. He has served his township as trustee, besides holding other township offices, all of which he has filled acceptably.
WILLIAM TISON SWEARNGEN, Marshal and City Clerk, of Centerville, was born in Morgan County, Indiana, January 17, 1845. His parents were George W. and Jane (Martin) Swearngen, the former a native of North Carolina, of German ancestry, and the latter a native of Kentucky. His father located in Indiana in an early day, and in 1849 brought his family to Iowa and settled on a farm near Centerville, where he lived two years, when he sold out and removed to Centerville, and engaged in the mercantile business. He was the third sheriff of Appanoose County, and held the position several terms. He died at St. Louis, Missouri, of cholera, while there to buy goods, his age being forty-four years. The mother died in Centerville in 1864, age forty-six years. William Tison Swearngen was but four years of age when his parents moved to Appanoose County, and here he was reared and educated. When seventeen years old, in 1862, he enlisted in the defense of his country, as a private, in Company A, Seventh Iowa Cavalry, and served three years and six months, being in the meantime promoted to Orderly Sergeant. He regiment was on scouting duty on the frontier, and was in many engagements with the Indians, the most important being Sand Creek, Powder River, Montana, Julesburgh, Colorado and Plum Creek, Nebraska. He was discharged at Leavenworth, Kansas, in May, 1866, at the expiration of his term of service, and returned to Centerville. He then engaged in the grocery business with his brother Evan, under the name of Swearngen Brothers, till 1869, when he entered the employ of John Zulauf, and remained with him till 1874. He then formed a partnership with his brother, George W., under the firm name W. T. Swearngen & Brother, which continued until 1876, when, being elected marshal of Centerville, he sold his interest in the business. At the expiration of his term he was employed by the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway Company to build bridges, and remained with them till the spring of 1883, when he was appointed deputy by Marshal W. S. Stire. In the spring of 1884 he was elected chief marshal of Centerville, and was re-elected in the spring of 1885. He was also elected in the spring of 1885 city clerk of Centerville. He is an efficient and trustworthy officer, attending to his duties in a satisfactory and painstaking manner. In politics he adheres to the principles of the Republican party. He was married in 1869 to Louisa J., daughter of the late John and Mary A. ( Jennings ) Ogle, old settlers of Centerville. They have four children: Albert Rolla, Minnie Tison, Hallie and George A. Logan. Mr. Swearngen is a member of the Odd Fellows order, Lodge No. 76, and Encampment No. 24, and has passed the chairs in both. He is a comrade of John L. Bashore Post, No. 122, G.A.R., and has held the position of senior vice-commander. He was reared in the faith of the Methodist Episcopal church, both parents being members of that denomination.
HON. HARVEY TANNEHILL is a native of Urbana, Ohio, born September 5, 1822. His parents were James and Anna (Goudy) Tannehill, the former a native of Virginia, of Scotch descent, and the latter a native of Kentucky. His parents were farmers and in limited circumstances, and in his youth he had no advantages of school, his services being required on the farm. After reaching the age of twenty years, having always had a desire to obtain an education, he attended three years what was then known as the high school of Springfield, Ohio, taught by Chandler Robbins. From 1845 till 1848 he taught school in Champaign, Clarke and Miami counties, Ohio, and then began to read law with Charles Morris, Esq., of Troy, Ohio. In August, 1851, he came to Iowa, and the following month (September) was admitted to the bar in Appanoose County, Hon. William McKay on the bench. He then began his practice at Centerville, and from the commencement controlled over half the legal business of the county. He was elected in 1853, prosecuting attorney of Appanoose County. He held this office two years, and in the meantime, during the absence of the county judge, performed the duties of that court, ex-officio. In 1855 he was elected county judge of Appanoose County, entering upon the duties in January, 1856, and filling the office a term of four years. In 1866 he was elected judge of the Second Judicial District of Iowa, for a term of four years. Since the expiration of the latter term, in 1871, he has devoted his exclusive attention to the practice of his profession, at Centerville, and has been engaged as counsel on most of the important cases in the county. His reputation as an honorable and reliable attorney is not confined to the county in which he lives, but extends all over the State of Iowa. Judge Tannehill was married May 29, 1856, to Miss Anna M., daughter of Dayton and Eliza (Crawford) Miller, of Springfield, Ohio. Mrs. Tannehill died March 25, 1885. Their only child, William, died in infancy. Judge Tannehill is a member of the Presbyterian church, as was also his wife.
GEORGE W. TAYLOR, one of the early settlers of Appanoose County, Iowa, is a native of North Carolina, born near the town of Salem, Stokes County, September 19, 1825, a son of George W. and Elizabeth (Harrell) Taylor, the former a native of Virginia and the latter born near Albemarle Sound, North Carolina. The father died in Stokes County, and the mother afterward moved to Indiana. Our subject was reared a farmer, and in his boyhood had very little opportunity to attend school. After getting old enough to earn money he worked and paid for four months' tuition at a select school, and subsequently taught thirteen months in Tennessee. He was married in 1849, in North Carolina, to Anna J. Hiatt, who died December 23, 1874. After his marriage he moved to Iowa, and located four miles south of Moravia, where he engaged in farming, and the winter of 1850 taught a three months' school in Unionville, and in the spring of 1851 moved to that village and taught the school ten months. He then returned to his farm, where he lived until 1883, making of it one of the pleasantest homes in the county. He continued teaching during the winter months until 1879, and became one of the most successful and popular instructors of Appanoose County. In the spring of 1883 he sold his farm, and purchased the one where he now lives, near the Wabash depot, which contains eighty acres if choice land. In September, 1884, he erected a small store building and opened a grocery, and has now a good trade, it being a convenient point for his neighboring farmers. Mr. Taylor has been a prominent and influential citizen of the township, and has held several public positions of trust. His life as a teacher has made him particularly interested in educational matters, and since 1853 he has been a member of the School Board. He has been surveyor of Appanoose County two years, assessor of Taylor Township two terms, justice of the peace one term, and in 1885 was elected assessor of the village of Moravia. In his early life he was a Democrat politically, but was an abolitionist and after its formation affiliated with the Republican party. He has a family of seven children: George W.; Atlas P.; Susan E., wife of Carroll Miller; Andrew J.; Florida C., wife of Clark Masterson, of Nebraska; Charles V. and William M. March 13, 1886, he married Mrs. Isabella T. Irwin, of North Carolina.
LOUIS LEROY TAYLOR, clerk of the courts of Appanoose County, is a native of Kentucky, and was born near Munfordville, the county seat of Hart County, March 27, 1839, a son of John M. and Nancy ( Wilson ) Taylor. When he was ten years of age his parents moved to Appanoose County, Iowa, and settled in Washington Township, where he grew to manhood. From 1860 to 1878 he taught in the schools of Appanoose and Davis counties. In 1879 he was elected clerk of the courts of Appanoose County for a term of two years and has been thrice re-elected. He has also held the offices of township assessor, clerk and justice of the peace, and for fifteen years was secretary of the Board of Directors of Washington Township. May 26, 1864, he was married to Miriam, daughter of B. H. Siler, of Davis County. They have two children: Henrietta and John B. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor and their daughter are members of the Christian church.
CLAYBURN C. TEATOR, one of the pioneers of Independence Township, dates his settlement at his present residence in 1853. Mr. Teator is a native of Kentucky, born in Girard County, June 7, 1804. His father, Paris Teator, was the thirteenth white child born in the State of Kentucky, and first saw the light of day March 26, 1780, in the fort which stood on the present site of Danville, Boyle County. He was a son of George Teator, a soldier in the war of the Revolution, who was a native of Maryland, his father, Paul Teator, a native of Germany, locating in Bladensburg in the colonial days. It is supposed that all of the name Teator, now living in America, are descendents of Paul. The mother of our subject was Rebecca Totten, a native of Long Island, New York. Her father was murdered near Lynchburg, Virginia, when she was a child. Of eleven children born to the parents of our subject, he is the eldest. Three of the brothers, Nelson H., Russell H., Absalom D. and a sister, Mrs. Minerva Davis, live in Kentucky; one sister, Mrs. Thurza Saddler, lives in Kansas, and the others are deceased. The parents both died March 16, 1865, aged respectively eighty-four and eighty-two years. The father had been ill and the mother waited upon him until an hour before his death.
Clayburn C. Teator was reared to a farm life, but in his early manhood learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed at intervals as long as he engaged in active business. His educational advantages in his youth were very limited, sixteen days being the extent of his attendance at school. His lessons have been those of experience, well learned and well remembered, and have fitted him for contact with and success in the duties of life. Mr. Teator was married November 27, 1823, to Miss Elenor Davis, a native of Girard County, Kentucky, born September 24, 1807, a daughter of John and Rachel Davis. In 1845, with a wife and eleven children, Mr. Teator came to Iowa, and was one of the pioneers of Jefferson County. He bought an improved farm near Fairfield, for $2,000, paying $305 in cash. With characteristic energy and good management he soon cleared his indebtedness, and in 1853 sold his farm for $4,800, and moved to Appanoose County, where he bought 640 acres of land. Mr. Teator has been a good financier and in his native State became well-to-do, but being always ready to lend a helping hand to his friends he became involved and came to Iowa a poor man. Of his 640 acres he has given 400 to his children, and now has a fine farm of 160 acres and eighty acres of timber land. His wife, who was his companion and helpmeet for fifty-seven years, was taken from him September 8, 1880. Their children were fifteen in number. The eldest died in infancy, Christmas week, 1824. Cyrus N. is a prosperous farmer of Independence Township; James N. died in Kentucky in his seventeenth year; George C. is a resident of Independence Township; Rebecca is the wife of Moses Reynolds; John R. lives in Wayne County; William died in Lucas County, leaving a widow and four children; Mary E. is the wife of Josephus Haines, of Kansas; Paris R. enlisted in the war of the Rebellion, in the Sixth Kansas Infantry, and died while serving his country; Robert died in his twenty-ninth year; Rachel, deceased, was the wife of Morrison McCormick; Lysander M. lives in Lucas County; Sophrina died in Jefferson County, aged eighteen months, and an infant died in the same county; Nancy E. is the wife of Alexander Empey, of Corydon. Three sons, Cyrus N., John and Paris, served as gallant soldiers in the war of the Rebellion. In 1832 Mr. and Mrs. Teator united with the Methodist Episcopal church, and for nearly half a century they lived together a practical Christian life. Mr. Teator has eighty-six grandchildren, and eighty-three great-grandchildren. November 25, 1880, he married Mrs. Emorine VanKirk, a most estimable and worthy lady. Mr. Teator can look back with pleasure upon a well-ordered, useful life, and now in his old age is blessed with many friends who honor him for the part he has taken in furthering the material and social interests of his neighborhood. He was a neighbor and friend of Henry Clay, by whom his political opinions were influenced. He has always been a strong anti-slavery man, and since its organization has affiliated with the Republican party. At his father's death he inherited eight slaves, but immediately gave them their freedom. Seventeen grandsons of his father served their country in the war of the Rebellion. His grandfather accompanied Daniel Boone on his first visit to Kentucky, and was therefore one of its early settlers.
ARCHIBALD FRANKLIN THOMPSON, attorney at law, Centerville, Iowa, was born near Columbus, Bartholomew County, Indiana, January 15, 1850, the only son of William R. and Elizabeth A. (Pyle) Thompson, both natives of Indiana, the former of Scotch-Irish and the latter of German descent. When he was six years of age his parents moved to Iowa and located on a farm in Walnut Township, Appanoose County, where he was reared, attending the public schools. When sixteen years of age he attended Bellair Seminary, and when nineteen years of age graduated from Oskaloosa College. He read law with McCoun & Flick, attorneys of Bedford, Iowa, and afterward with Tannehill & Fee, at Centerville. He was admitted to the bar at Bedford, Iowa, April 18, 1873, and in October of the same year located at Seymour, Wayne County. In August, 1880, he removed from Seymour to Centerville, where he is now enjoying a fair practice. In addition to his law business he has since 1882 given considerable attention to stenography, and is an expert, now giving instruction to a number of pupils. In 1874 he qualified as a pension attorney and claim agent, and has a large patronage in that line, procuring and collecting pensions. In politics he is a member of the Greenback party. While living in Seymour he was mayor of the city two terms. In 1872 he was the nominee of the Democratic party for county recorder of Appanoose County, but the county being largely Republican, he was defeated, although he ran some 300 votes ahead of his ticket. In 1878 he was the candidate on both the Greenback and the Democratic tickets for clerk of the courts of Wayne County, and was defeated by only forty-nine votes.
Mr. Thompson has been twice married. First in Bedford, Iowa, November 8, 1870, to Lizzie Cook, from whom he was divorced in March, 1877. December 6, 1877, he married Ella McCord, of Seymour. They have one child: Hugh LeRoy. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson are members of the Christian church. He joined this denomination in 1866, and for four years was a minister, preaching in Appanoose, Taylor, Page and Fremont counties, and still takes an active part in the work of the church. He is a member of Jackson Lodge, No. 42, F. & A. M. Mr. Thompson has traveled quite extensively in his native country, both East and West. In 1869 he went to the Rocky Mountains, and in 1870 to the British Possessions. In 1871 he traveled through Kansas, and in 1873 took a trip South, visiting Missouri, Arkansas, Indian Territory, Texas and Kansas, and in 1876 he took an overland trip to New Mexico, Arizona and Colorado. In 1880 he visited Kansas, Colorado and Utah, and in 1883 took a trip to the East, visiting New York and other Eastern cities. In 1885 he went to the World's Exposition, at New Orleans, by way of Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama and Florida.
WILLIAM R. THOMPSON, an early settler of Walnut Township, resides on section 18, on land he bought in 1856. He bought 230 acres of land, forty acres of which had been broken, and a small cabin had been built by the former owner, Mr. Elam. His farm now contains 250 acres, 180 acres being under cultivation and the rest being pasture and timber land. He has a fine residence, and has made other substantial building improvements. Mr. Thompson was born in Bartholomew County, Indiana, January 10, 1824. His father was a native of North Carolina, and his mother, whose maiden name was Susannah Stillwell, was born in Shelby County, Kentucky. The parents were married in Kentucky, and subsequently moved to Indiana, spending the rest of their lives in Bartholomew County. William R. is the seventh of eight children, six of whom are living: Silas and Archibald live in Bartholomew County; Mrs. Elsie Jackson lives in Virginia; Mrs. Martha J. Campbell, in Davis County, Iowa, and John, in Nodaway County, Missouri. Mrs. Lucinda Smith and James died in Indiana. William R. remained with his parents till manhood. March 27, 1849, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Anna Pyle, a native of Franklin County, Indiana, born December 27, 1825. Three children were born to them: Archibald F., an attorney, of Centerville; Mary Ellen died September 7, 1870, in the nineteenth year of her age, and Martha died in infancy. Mrs. Thompson died November 10, 1877. She was a most estimable woman, kind and loving as a wife and mother, and a thoughtful friend and neighbor. She had been a member of the Christian church thirty years. September 26, 1880, Mr. Thompson married Miss Elizabeth Ann Lain, who was born in Bartholomew County, Indiana, January 24, 1842, a daughter of Sillick and Permelia (Arvalt) Lain, pioneers of Davis County, Iowa, settling there in 1848. Her mother died in 1854, and her father in 1872. She has two brothers and four sister, viz.: Sarah Jane, the eldest, is in an insane asylum at Mount Pleasant; John M., George W., Mrs. Mary Headrick and Mrs. Matilda Taylor live in Davis County, and Mrs. Clarissa Jeffreys lives in Ellsworth County, Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson are members of the Christian Church. In politics he is identified with the Democrat party. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Jackson Lodge, No. 42, Centerville.
THOMAS J. TURNER, the eldest son of William D. and Jemima Turner, was born in Davis County, Iowa, December 1, 1855. He was reared on a farm in Appanoose County, where his parents had moved when he was about six months old. He remained with his parents until his marriage, and then settled on a rented farm, where he lived about two years. In 1879 he bought eighty acres on the north half of the southwest quarter of section 9, Taylor Township, which has since been his home. He has increased his possessions until he now owns 192 acres of choice and valuable land, all well improved and stocked with a fine grade of both cattle and hogs. He is one of the prosperous and enterprising young men of Taylor Township, and is laying the foundation for a future of wealth and influence. He was married in 1877 to Miss Mary Luse, youngest daughter of Aaron and Martha Luse, early settlers of Appanoose County. They have a family of four children: Charles A., Eunice, Eurissa and Mary.
WILLIAM D. TURNER, one of the prominent and early settlers of Taylor Township, was born in Guilford County, North Carolina, February 20, 1827, the fourth of eight children of Thomas and Mary Tucker, natives of Connecticut, who moved to North Carolina in early life. He remained with his parents until his marriage, in 1850, to Jemima E., eldest daughter of George and Mary Parsons. In the fall of 1855 he came to Iowa, and settled in Appanoose County, on the farm where he now lives, on section 28, Taylor Township. He first purchased 120 acres, but to this has added until he now owns 320 acres of choice land. He has been an extensive stock-raiser and dealer, buying and shipping to the Chicago market. He came to Appanoose County with a team, and when he reached his destination had only $300. His land was a tract of unbroken prairie, but with characteristic energy he went bravely to work and now has one of the finest farms in the county. His large two-story frame residence and other farm buildings are models of convenience, and his other improvements are noticeably good. He has one of the largest apple orchards in the county, which contains some choice and well-selected varieties. Mr. Turner has a family of eleven children: Thomas J., Charles, Francis S., Hugh Seigel, B. Ellsworth, Mary B. (wife of William Hicks), Ella R., Adella F., Melissa Grant, Effie L. and Eldora E. In politics he was an old-line Whig, but now affiliates with the Republican party. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
JOHN ULLEM, one of the early settlers of Douglas Township, Appanoose County, was born near Terre Haute, Indiana, March 13, 1826. His parents had a family of four sons and one daughter, our subject, who was the eldest child, being the only one now living. His youth was spent on a farm and in attending the district school. When he was ten years old his father died. He remained with his mother till eleven years of age, after which he lived with Henry Greenwood, a neighbor, with whom he made his home till reaching the age of twenty-two years. He then came to Iowa and lived in Van Buren County till March, 1856, when he came to Appanoose County, entering part of his land and purchasing the rest, which land comprises his present farm. He improved this land on which he has lived since 1856, and is still engaged in general farming and stock-raising. His farm is located on section 9, Douglas Township, and contains 360 acres of choice land. In early years he devoted his attention principally to raising hogs, by which enterprise he has acquired most of his money, he disposing of his hogs at good prices. Of later years he raised cattle and horses principally, making a specialty of raising high grades. Mr. Ullem was first married in Van Buren County, Iowa, to Phoebe Cook, who died in Douglas Township, Appanoose County, leaving eight children. By his second marriage he had one child. For his present wife he married Harriet Vaught, in 1876. No children have been born to this union. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Ullem began life without means, beginning the struggle for his maintenance at a very early age. He had but $150 when he came to Iowa, but by his persevering industry and strict economy he has acquired his fine property.
CHARLES E. VROOMAN, publisher and editor of the Appanoose Iowegian, is a son of R. B. and Laura A. (Chaplain) Vrooman, natives of the State of New York. They were married in Ohio, and resided in that State on a farm until 1860, when they removed to Fillmore County, Minnesota. Mr. Vrooman, Sr., there engaged in merchandising for two years. He then removed to Indiana, where he died in 1863. His wife yet survives in Toledo, Ohio. Their son, the subject of this sketch, was born April 15, 1848, at Sylvania, Lucas County, Ohio. At the age of fifteen he entered a drug store, in which he was employed for four years, with the exception of five months passed in the military service of the United States. In February, 1865, he enlisted in the Tenth Minnesota Infantry, and was employed as hospital steward until his discharge in June, 1865. In the autumn of 1867 he went to Ypsilanti, Michigan, and entered the State Normal School at that place. He remained there but one year, and then entered the law department at Ann Arbor, where, in addition to his legal studies, he pursued the Latin scientific course in the literary department. Graduating from the law department in 1870, he located in Chicago for the practice of law. After a stay in Chicago of a year and a half (during which time occurred the great Chicago fire of 1871), he located in Schuyler County, Missouri, in January, 1872. In the autumn of the same year he was elected prosecuting attorney of that county, and to this position he was re-elected two years later, serving four years in all. He was mayor of Lancaster (capital of Schuyler County ) for three years, and public administrator of Schuyler County for two years. In the fall of 1882 he was nominated as the Greenback candidate for Congress from the First District of Missouri. His residence in Missouri continued until the spring of 1883. During these ten years he was constantly engaged in the practice of law, and was also an active participant in local politics, attending all conventions, and serving on many important political committees.
In the spring of 1883 he fixed his residence at Centerville, and established the Iowegian, to which he has since devoted his time. He has had considerable influence in political matters since coming here, and in 1885 was a delegate to the State Republican Convention. Mr. Vrooman was married November 27, 1873, at Kirksville, Missouri, to Julia C. French. Their four children are named: Forrest F., Raymond R., Edwin E. and Ethel E. He is a member of the G.A.R. (was commander in 1885), I.O.O.F. (representative to Grand Lodge and D.D.G.M. while in Missouri ), A.O.U.W. (M.W. in 1886), and K of L. He and wife are members of the Christian church.