Biographical and Genealogical History of Appanoose and Monroe Counties, Iowa.
Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Polly Eckles.
Far back into the early history of this country can the ancestry of the Carhartt family be traced. The first of the name in America was Thomas Carhartt, who crossed the Atlantic to serve as secretary to Governor Dugan, and in our subject's home is a complete genealogical record, giving the lines of descent from Thomas Carhartt down to the present. The parents of our subject were James S. and Mary ( Elder ) Carhartt, the former a son of Seth Carhartt and the latter a daughter of John Elder. They resided for some time in Coshocton county, Ohio, and both were natives of that state, but in 1850 they started westward and established their home in Monroe county, where the father engaged in farming. He spent his last days in the home of our subject, where he died aged seventy-six years. The mother afterward went to Union county, Iowa, where she died at the age of eight-two years, but John Carhartt brought her remains back to this county, and she was buried by the side of her husband. In the family were six children, but John E. and one sister are the only ones now surviving.
John E. Carhartt was born in Coshocton county, Ohio, September 13, 1840, and was reared upon the home farm, spending the first ten years of his life in the state of his nativity, and then accompanying his parents on their removal to Iowa, with the interests of which state he has since been identified. His education was begun in a log schoolhouse, and he conned his lessons while sitting upon a bench made of a slab laid on wooden pins driven into the wall. Later, however, he enjoyed better educational privileges and for a time was a student in Albia. Reading upon the current topics of interest has made him a well informed man, and he keeps well versed on general subject, political and otherwise. Through his youth he assisted in the work of the home farm, but during the early part of the Civil war he enlisted in Company E, Sixth Iowa Infantry, under Captain Sanders. He was with his regiment in a number of battles and skirmishes, and though he often went upon long marches or took part in battles when suffering from ill health, he reported for duty every day and loyally stood by the old flag until it was planted victoriously in the capital of the southern Confederacy. After the close of the war he was honorably discharged at Louisville, Kentucky, and was mustered out at Davenport. There was no braver man in the army, and with a creditable military record he returned to his home.
Mr. Carhartt at once went to his father's home, near where he now resides, and in the spring of 1866 purchased his present farm in Troy township. He further completed his arrangements for having a home of his own when in 1868 he married Miss Alice A. Boggs, a native of Monroe county. Four children have been born to them, of whom three are yet living; Mary L., who married S. H. Latham and has four sons; James S., who is married and has two sons and a daughter; and John W., at home, assisting his father in the cultivation of the farm. Since his marriage Mr. Carhartt has resided continuously upon his present farm and has made it a fine country home, its neat and thrifty appearance being indicative of the care and supervision of a progressive owner.
Never an active politician in the sense of office seeking, Mr. Carhartt has always had firm faith in the principles of the party which he endorsed by casting his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln, in 1864, while in the army. He has labored for the success of the party and is recognized as one of the stalwart Republicans of the locality. He is a charter member of J.R. Castle Post No. 313, G.A.R., of Avery, the oldest post in this section of the state; for two years he served as its commander, after which he became quartermaster and has since held that office. He also belongs to the Presbyterian church, and his Christian faith and belief have been manifest in his conduct toward his fellowmen, who know him to be a man of upright purpose and of intrinsic worth of character.
Among the brave men who devoted the opening years of their manhood to the defense of our country from the internal foes who sought her dismemberment was Lawson B. Carlton, who for half a century has been among the honored residents of Monroe county, Iowa, his home being in Mantua township. A native of Ohio, he was born in Geauga county on the 15 th of September, 1841, and is a son of Marion Carlton, who was born in Connecticut and belonged to an old family of that state, which was of English descent. Going to Ohio, the father there married Philosha Bradley, a native of that state and a daughter of Selah Bradley, who was also born in Connecticut.
In 1850 Marion Carlton brought his family to Iowa, making the journey by the lakes to Chicago, by railroad to Burlington, and on by stage to his destination in Wapello county. By occupation he was a farmer, but when the country became involved in civil war he laid aside the plow and entered the service as a member of the Thirty-third Iowa Infantry. He never lived to return home, but died at Milliken's Bend, Mississippi, at the age of forty-six years. In politics he was a Republican. His wife died at the age of fifty-eight years. They were the parents of five children, namely: Lawson B., of this review; Angie M.; Adolph, who was a soldier of the Third Iowa Cavalry during the Civil war, and is now a resident of Oregon; Mrs. Cora Stanley, who also makes her home in that state; and Harley H., of Sheridan county Kansas. In connection with farming the father also worked at the carpenter's and wheelwright's trades and was a good mechanic.
Lawson B. Carlton was a lad of nine years when he accompanied his parents on their removal to the Hawkeye state, where he grew to manhood. During his youth he learned the blacksmith's trade and became a good workman, continuing to follow that occupation until after the inauguration of the Civil war, when, feeling that his country needed his aid, he enlisted in 1862 in Company H, First Iowa Cavalry, under Captain Westcott and Colonel Anderson. He remained in the service until hostilities ceased and at different times was under the command of Generals Custer, Steele and Davison. His services being no longer needed, he was honorably discharged at Austin , Texas, and returned home with a war record of which he may be justly proud.
Before entering the army Mr. Carlton was married, in February, 1861, to Miss Eliza A. Miller, whose brother, James M. Miller, was also in the service, being a member of Company K, Third Iowa Cavalry. He was killed in battle on the 16 th of April, 1865, at the age of twenty-four years, thus laying down his life on the altar of his country. Mrs. Carlton was born in Portage county, Ohio, and is a daughter of A. F. Miller, also a native of that state, who came to Iowa in 1846, being the first to settle on Miller's Ridge, in Mantua township, Monroe county. Here he died at the ripe old age of eighty-six years, and his wife, who bore the maiden name of Clarissa Morgan and was a native of Ohio, died at the age of seventy-two. Both were faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and he was a Republican in politics and by occupation a farmer. Their children were Eliza A., wife of our subject; Mrs. Harriet Riddle; Albert; D. R.; Mrs. Florence Ames, of Mantua township, and Washburn, a resident of Decatur county, Kansas.
The following named children have been born to our subject and his wife: D. C., who is married and is now engaged in the operation of his fine farm of one hundred and twenty acres; Mrs. Ada Hinton, a resident of Cass county, Iowa; and A. F., who married Elsie Macy and lives with his father on the home farm, has three children—Leslie, Forest and Verne. Mr. Carlton and his son own a well improved and highly cultivated farm of one hundred and fifty-three acres, on which is a good house and substantial outbuildings. Besides the cultivated fields there are pasture, meadow and woodlands, and the farm is a very productive and valuable one. The family hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. Carlton is identified with J. R. Castle Post No. 313, G.A.R., of Avery, Iowa. Both he and his sons vote the Republican ticket and take quite an active and commendable interest in public affairs.
This name recalls that period of American history when “Old Hickory” was the central figure on the political stage and boys were called after him by admirers of the great Democratic leader. In fact, Mr. Casady was born when the hero of New Orleans was at the height of his fame, and he was about entering the race which ended in his first triumphant election to the presidency. It needs no prophet to tell us that Mr. Casady's father was one of the mighty throng then shouting lustily for “Old Andy,” as the naming of his son for the future president clearly indicates where he stood. As will be seen later, the son kept up the traditions of his family when he himself came on the political stage, and as a Democratic leader or candidate fought many a valiant battle for the principles of his party.
He is a son of Thomas H. and Sophia ( Scott ) Casady, native New Yorkers, who were born and bred and died in the great Empire state of the east. The father was born at Albany, March 28, 1800, and died in 1857, while his wife, who was two years older than himself, survived until 1877, her birth having occurred March 28, 1798, just two years to a day before her husband's birth. They had nine children, but of these only three are now living.
Andrew Jackson Casady was born in Jefferson county, New York, July 26, 1827, but by reason of his parents' removal was reared from the fourth year of his age to manhood in the county of Herkimer. After growing up he taught school for a number of terms both in town and country, and at his twenty-sixth year decided to try his fortunes in what was then called the “far west.” A trip from New York to Iowa in those days was quite an event in one's life, inasmuch as the distance was long and the facilities for transportation by no means the best. This tedious and even dangerous journey was, however, made by Mr. Casady without accident, and in December, 1853, he arrived at Iowa City.
The state being quite young and sparsely populated, the opportunities for employment or business were not so numerous as they became at a later period, so as a temporary means of gaining a livelihood Mr. Casady concluded to become a pedagogue. That teaching school in Iowa at that period was not without its picturesque features is evidenced by the fact that during school hours it was no uncommon spectacle to see Indians peeping in at the windows to see what the “pale faces” were doing. At this time, however, there was little fear of trouble from the Indians, and Mr. Casady taught many years in Iowa without feeling that his scalp was at all in danger. Meantime he had utilized his spare time in acquiring an elementary understanding of the law, and made such progress as to gain admission to the bar in 1860. In his first case he had for an opponent Rush Clark, afterward speaker of the house of representatives and one of the most distinguished men in the state.
In 1862 Mr. Casady joined a party which had been organized in Iowa City to prospect in the recently discovered gold fields in the Salmon river region of British Columbia. The passage across the plains to this wild and mountainous section was accompanied by dangers as well as privations, and Mr. Casady received a gunshot wound during one of the brushes with the Indians while traversing the country then claimed by those roving nomads. He is now the only survivor of the dashing party of young men who started out so bravely in search of adventure and fortune in the wilds of Snake river over forty years ago.
In 1865, after his return from the west, Mr. Casady went to St. Charles, Missouri, to accept the agency of the express company at that point and spent several of the subsequent years at different places in the same state. Later he returned to Albia and has since made his home at that enterprising county seat. At an early period he got in touch with frontier politics and soon became popular both as a worker and an office holder. His official service was as deputy sheriff in Johnson county, which he held under two different principals. Later he was elected in Monroe county, Iowa, to the offices of county superintendent, auditor, surveyor, assessor and attorney. As previously stated, he was born and bred a Democrat and cast his first presidential vote for Van Buren in 1848, and his zealous work has often been a benefit to his party associates at Iowa City.
September 13, 1865, Mr. Casady was married to Miss Sue P. Morrison of Illinois, but of the three children of this union two died in infancy. Marion, who reached maturity, is the wife of Thomas H. Woolsey, a telegraph operator at Great Bend, Kansas, and has one child, Hugh H. Mr. Casady and his family are well known and popular in Monroe county and enjoy a welcome in the best circles of society at Albia.
Considering his age, which is slightly past thirty-two years at this writing, the young man above mentioned has had an unusually active and varied career, culminating in success which seldom comes even to the most fortunate so early in life. At present he is serving his second term as auditor of Monroe county, and had been elected to that responsible position before the completion of the twenty-fifth year of his age. Aside form this, however, he has been connected with various branches of business, including lumber, realty and loans, hardware and banking, which would indicate enterprise and energy as well as ability in different lines. The family was of Pennsylvania origin, from which state his father, James M., came to Iowa and settled on a farm in Appanoose county.
Bertrand P. Castner was born in Bluff Creek township, Monroe county, November 24, 1870, and , his mother having died three years later, the child was sent to the home of the paternal grandmother in Pennsylvania. When eight years old he returned to his father's home at that time in Lovilia, where he was engaged in the lumber business, and received his education as he grew up at that place. When his seventeenth year had been completed he entered the lumber yard as an employee, later became a partner and remained with the firm until the fall of 1895, when he was elected auditor of Monroe county. He entered upon his duties on the first of the following January, served satisfactorily four years, and was elected for a second term, which will expire January 1, 1903.
For five years Mr. Castner was connected with the Ramsay Realty, Loans and Abstract Company, and joined his brother in the purchase of a hardware business. Disposing of his interest in the Ramsay Realty Company he became cashier of the People's Savings Bank, after the opening of that institution in the fall of 1901, and also erected the building in which this bank conducts its business.
In 1895 Mr. Castner was united in marriage with Miss Grace Esshom of Lovilia, and since his election to the auditorship has made his home in Albia. He is regarded as one of the most popular of the young class of Republican leaders in Monroe county, and no one of his age has a brighter promise of future honors. His religious affiliations are with the Presbyterian church, and his fraternal connections with the Masons.
James M. Castner, who is engaged in the hardware and implement business in Lovilia, has been a representative of mercantile interests in this place for a number of years, and is an enterprising man, who might well be termed a “captain of industry” because of his indefatigable labor and successful control of every work he has undertaken. Far back into the early history of Pennsylvania can his family history be traced. In 1766 his ancestor entered from the government the land upon which James M. Castner was born, and the old house is still in the possession of his descendants. Six generations of the Castners have been born upon that land, and the town of Donora, Pennsylvania, has been built upon a portion of it.
Daniel and Rebecca ( Miller ) Castner, the parents of our subject, were both natives of the Keystone state, and the former, a farmer by occupation, devoted his energies throughout his entire life to the tilling of the soil. His political support was given the Democracy and he was ever a citizen of worth, giving his co-operation to every measure which he believed would benefit his locality. He died in 1875, and his wife, surviving him twenty-one years, passed away in 1896. In their family were twelve children: Martin Van Buren, Marie E., James M., John K., Silas W., Jessie M., Bert W., Mary J., Wilbert F. and William L., and two that died in infancy.
Upon the ancestral homestead in Washington county, Pennsylvania, James M. Castner was born, February 11, 1843, and was there reared, while in the common schools of the neighborhood he received his education. Lessons of industry and integrity were early impressed upon his mind by his parents, and through the periods of vacation he gained practical knowledge of farm work by assisting his father in the fields. At the age of twenty-four he left his boyhood home and in 1868 became a resident of Bluff Creek township, Monroe county, where he followed farming for about six years. In 1874 he took up his abode in Lovilia, where he has since resided.
In 1875 he established a lumber and grain business, which he conducted with success until 1894, when he sold out to the Green Bay Lumber Company, and he is now conducting a hardware and implement business. He is well known as a factor in the business life of Lovilia and after embarking in his new enterprise it was not long before he had secured a liberal patronage, which is constantly growing, so that the business has already assumed profitable proportions and the future of the enterprise seems a bright one.
In 1866 Mr. Castner was united in marriage to Miss Helen Pollock, a native of Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, and to them were born three children, two sons and a daughter, but Bert P., the eldest, is the only one now living, Mary Josephine and John Kerr having passed away. The wife and mother died in 1874 and in 1876 Mr. Castner was again married, his second union being with Miss Rose Clark, a daughter of P. R. Clark. Five children have graced this union: Guy Kerr, Katheryn, Anna, Louis and James Miller.
A staunch Republican, Mr. Castner exercises his right of franchise in support of its men and measures, and has labored effectively for its success in this community. He has been honored with some local offices, having served as school director, as justice of the peace and as a member of the board of supervisors and his official labors resulted beneficially along the lines directed. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in his fraternal relations he is connected with the Masons, the Odd Fellows and the United Workmen, holding membership in the local lodges in Albia. Starting out in life for himself without capital, and realizing that there is no royal road to wealth, Mr. Castner has labored diligently and unremittingly in an effort to attain prosperity, and today is accounted one of the substantial citizens of his adopted town, while his social qualities are those which win friends, and wherever known
Mr. Castner is spoken of in terms of high regard.
When death comes to any one it is customary to review the life record and note whether it has been for good or ill. Favorable indeed is the judgment which has been passed upon John Chamberlain, who for seventy-five years traveled life's journey, performing faithfully and well every duty which devolved upon him and meeting fully every obligation that rested upon him. His example, therefore, is commendable and worthy of emulation, and his life history deserves a place on the pages of this volume among those of the representative citizens of Monroe county.
Mr. Chamberlain was born in Ashland county, Ohio, March 28, 1827, and was a son of James and Sarah ( Peterson ) Chamberlain, both of whom were natives of Virginia, whence they removed to the Buckeye state, settling there at a pioneer epoch in its history. A farmer by occupation, the father followed that pursuit throughout his entire life, cultivating his fields from year to year in order to provide for his family, which in the course of time came to number ten children. These were: John, now deceased; Mary, Josiah, James, Henry, Washington, Elizabeth, who has also passed away; Abraham, Weed, and William, deceased. The father was called to his final rest in 1882, at the age of seventy-five years, and the mother reaching the advanced age of eighty-nine years, her death occurring in 1898.
John Chamberlain lived in Ohio until twenty-two years of age, his boyhood being passed in a manner similar to that of most farmer lads of the period. When school was in session and his services were not needed on the farm he there pursued his studies, but during the months of summer he assisted in the work of the fields, plowing, planting and harvesting, all farm work becoming familiar to him ere he left home.
The year 1847 witnessed his arrival in the new state of Iowa and he took up his abode in Eddyville. Four years later, on the 29 th of June, 1851, he was joined in wedlock to Miss Sarah Bredwell, a daughter of John and Elizabeth Bredwell. Her mother died when Mrs. Chamberlain was but three years old, but her father long survived, passing away about 1872. In 1842 Mrs. Chamberlain and her brother came to Iowa, locating in Eddyville, and in Monroe county she has since made her home. She was born March 20, 1834, and at the age of seventeen she gave her hand in marriage to Mr. Chamberlain, with whom she traveled life's journey long and happily. For the past forty years she has resided upon her present farm, the location being made here shortly after their marriage. As the years passed several children came to bless the household, namely: Annis and Rachel Ann, both deceased; Sarah Elizabeth; Edward; Henry; John; Otis; Minnie, Willin, William, all three deceased; and Ida.
Throughout his entire married life Mr. Chamberlain followed farming and carpentering. He kept everything about his place in good condition, exercised care and thought in planting his fields and harvesting his crops, and the annual sale of his farm products returned to him a good income. The home place is pleasantly located west of Lovilia. In his political views Mr. Chamberlain was a Democrat and for many years served as a school director and a member of the school board. He believed in progress in education as in other lines and was anxious to have good schools and competent teachers. In his younger years he belonged to the Baptist church, but afterward united with the Christian church, with which he held membership until his death. For many years he was also identified with the Masonic fraternity and was a faithful follower of its teaching concerning brotherly kindness and helpfulness. He died on the home farm, September 16, 1902, at the age of seventy-five years, and his remains were laid to rest in the Osborn cemetery. Mrs. Chamberlain is still residing at home and she, too, is a loyal member of the Christian church, whose teachings and principles she has made the guide of her life.
There is no more hospitable home in Monroe county than that of Mr. and Mrs. Emery Chidester, in Urbana township. The owner is a leading agriculturist, a genial man and one who makes friends wherever he goes. Moreover he is one of the native sons of the county, his birth having occurred on the old family homestead in Mantua township, March 16, 1862. His father, Zadoc Chidester, had come to this county at an early age, locating here in 1846, the year of the admission of the state into the Union. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Susan Tharp, was a native of Virginia, and their children were Morg; Sarah; Lee; Hulda; Floyd; Mary; Jenny; Zadoc; Elliott, who is living in Tacoma, Washington; Emery; Frank, at home; and Grant, deceased. The father of this family passed away in Monroe county at the advanced age of eighty-six years, after having lived to see the county emerge form its primitive condition and pioneer environments to take its place with the leading counties of the commonwealth.
In field and meadow through the period of his boyhood, Emery Chidester worked when not engaged with the duties of the schoolroom, and thus he gained practical knowledge of farming methods and was well qualified to carry on agricultural pursuits for himself when he had reached man's estate. At the age of twenty-one years he married Anna Mahon, who was born in county Antrim, Ireland, a daughter of David Mahon, who was a second cousin of General McMahon of the French army. He had two uncles who came to the United States and served in the Revolutionary war. David Mahon, having arrived at years of maturity, married Maria Dunn, and in 1863 crossed the broad Atlantic to America, settling in Urbana township, Monroe county, upon a farm. He carried on farming and merchandising throughout his remaining days, and died at the age of seventy-four years. After becoming a naturalized American citizen he supported the Republican party, and in his religious views was a Unitarian. His widow is still living, at the age of seventy-three years, and makes her home with her daughter. By her marriage she became the mother of nine children: Anna; Dave; Mrs. Jane Burk; Mrs. Agnes Peck; Mrs. Isabelle Miller; Mrs. Delphine Angel, who is a widow and is engaged in teaching in Polk county, Iowa; Mrs. Emma Angel; Mrs. Lotta Goodwine; and Mary, who died at the age of nine weeks.
At the time of his marriage Mr. Chidester began farming on his own account, and that his years have been years of industry and perseverance is shown by the fact that he is now the possessor of a valuable farm of four hundred and twenty-three acres, constituting one of the finest farms of Monroe county. Upon it is a splendid home of twelve rooms, which was erected at a cost of three thousand dollars. Its attractive furnishings give evidence of the cultured taste of the inmates, and the piano shows their love of music. Around the home is a well kept lawn and in the rear are substantial farm buildings for the shelter of grain and stock. He buys, feeds and ships cattle and horses, and this as well as the production of grain proves a profitable department of his business.
To Mr. and Mrs. Chidester have been born eight children: Marcia, Dave F., Ansel Tecumseh, S. Della, Emma Agnes, Vesta Lucretia, Emery Hale, and they also lost an infant son. The parents are sincere members of the Christian church and Mr. Chidester is a Democrat in his political views. Honorable in business relations, loyal in citizenship and the champion of all measures tending toward the betterment of mankind, Mr. Chidester is respected throughout the community, and his life record illustrates the power of industry and integrity in winning success.
No history of Monroe county would be complete without mention of the Chidester family. Fifty-seven years have passed since they first came to the county, having established their home within its borders in 1846, just as the Indians were leaving for the reservations assigned them. Great indeed was the difference in the conditions of the county at that time from what it is today, most of the land being still in its primitive condition and few improvements having been made.
Mr. Chidester was born in Lewis county, West Virginia, October 28, 1837, a son of Zadok and Susannah ( Tharp ) Chidester, who were also natives of that county. His paternal grandfather, Holdridge Chidester, was born in Virginia of Scotch, English, and Welsh ancestry, the family being early established in the Old Dominion. He was a soldier of the war of 1812. Zadok Chidester was reared, educated and married in the county of his nativity, his wife being the daughter of Hezekiah and Huldah ( Cox ) Tharp, who spent their last days in Van Buren county, Iowa. Her father was also a native of Virginia and of English descent.
It was in June, 1846, that Zadok Chidester brought his family to Iowa, making the journey by boat down the Ohio and up the Mississippi rivers to Keokuk, Iowa, whence they proceeded by ox team to Monroe county, locating on the farm in Mantua township where his widow resided until her death on the 15 th of February, 1903. There the father secured seven hundred acres of fertile and productive land, and after building a log house for the accommodation of his family, he at once set to work to clear, break and improve his place. Throughout his active business life he successfully engaged in general farming and stock-raising, but was at length compelled to relinquish active labor on account of rheumatism, from which he suffered for many years, but being a man of good business and executive ability he still managed his business with remarkable skill.
After a useful and well spent life he passed away at the age of eighty-six years, honored and respected by all who knew him. He was a most hospitable man, the latch-string on his door being always out, and no one was ever refused entertainment at his home. His word was ever considered as good as his bond and his advice was often sought by his friends and neighbors. In political he was a Democrat. His estimable wife, who survived him, resided till her death in the pleasant home he erected upon his farm in later years, and was beloved by all who knew her.
To this worthy couple were born fourteen children, of who eleven are still living, namely: H.M., of this review; Mrs. Sarah Deyo, of Mountain Grove, Missouri; Mrs. Virginia Pittinger, of the same place; Leander and Floyd, both residents of Mantua township, this county; Mrs. Marietta Perrin, also of Mantua township; Mrs. Huldah Rogers, of Nuckolls county, Nebraska; Elliott, of Tacoma, Washington; Zadok, of Mantua township; Emery, a well known citizen and prominent stockman of Urbana township, Monroe county; and Frank, who lives on the old homestead farm.
The subject of this sketch was a lad of nine years when he accompanied his parents on their removal to Iowa, and being the oldest son he soon proved of great assistance to his father in the development and improvement of the farm. His education was acquired in an old log schoolhouse with slab seats and puncheon floor. He remained under the parental roof until twenty-six years of age, when he offered his services to the country to assist in crushing out the rebellion, enlisting in February, 1863, in Company A, Thirty-sixth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, under the command of Colonel Kittridge, Lieutenant Colonel Drake and Captain Porter. He was in the battles of Elkins Ford, Camden, and at Marks Mills was taken prisoner. During the ten months he was in the hands of the enemy his rations consisted of but one pint of meal per day. After being exchanged he returned home on a furlough and later rejoined his regiment at White river, Arkansas. At the close of the war he received an honorable discharge from the service and returned home to resume farming and stock-raising.
At the age of twenty-five years Mr. Chidester married Miss Sarah Parry, who was born in England but was reared and educated at Cedar Creek in Guilford township, Monroe county, Iowa, her parents being David and Mary ( Newman ) Parry, also natives of England. By occupation her father was a stonemason and farmer. On coming to the new world in 1854, he located in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and in 1856 came to Iowa, making the journey by water, down the Ohio and up the Mississippi river to Keokuk. He settled in Guilford township, Monroe county, but his last days were spent in Union township, Iowa, where he died at the age of seventy-six years. He was an earnest member of the Christian church and a Republican in Politics. His wife, who was a member of the same church, departed this life at the age of eighty-five years. They had eight children, namely: David, who enlisted in the Sixty-third Pennsylvania Infantry during the Civil war and died in the service; Sarah, the wife of our subject; James M., Mrs. Mary McCauley, Emily, Jennie, Mrs. Martha Peck, Mrs. Maggie Turner.
In his farming operations Mr. Chidester has steadily prospered and is today the owner of a fine farm of four hundred acres, it being one of the most desirable tracts in the county. The buildings upon the place are of good and substantial character, and its neat and thrifty appearance indicates the supervision of a painstaking farmer and man of more than ordinary business ability. He follows stock-raising in connection with general farming.
Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Chidester: Leander, in business in Ottumwa, Iowa; Mrs. Clara Grooms, of Monroe county; William and James, both residents of Mantua township; Mrs. Anna Wilson, who is also living in that township; and Ussie, who is now a student in Drake College of Des Moines, where she is taking up the arts and sciences; she has been a popular and successful teacher and spent four years in the Ottumwa high school. Hezekiah died age two yeas, six months.
Mr. Chidester maintains relations with his old army comrades by his membership in Castle Post No. 313, G.A.R., of Avery, and has held office in the same. Politically he is a strong Republican, never wavering in his allegiance to that party. As an honored pioneer and one of the representative men of his community, as well as a loyal defender of the country during the dark days of the Civil war, he is worthy of the high regard in which he is uniformly held.
Samuel Floyd Chidester, who owns and controls a farm of ninety-five acres on section 27, Mantua township, Monroe county, was born in Lewis county, Virginia, July 19, 1846, a representative of one of the old families of that state. His paternal grandfather was also born in Virginia. The father, Zadok Chidester, likewise a native of that state, came to the west at an early period in the development of Monroe county, locating here in 1851.
He became an active factor in the agricultural development of this portion of the state, and through his labors a rich tract of land was improved and transformed into valuable farm. He was united in marriage to Miss Susannah Tharp, who was born, reared and educated in Virginia, a daughter of Hezekiah Tharp, of that state. Their home farm comprised seven hundred acres of valuable land in Monroe county and Mr. Chidester was very successful, practical and progressive in carrying on the work of the fields and in the raising of stock. He possessed excellent business qualifications, and his property was the visible evidence of his life of well directed labor and enterprise. He gave his political support to the Democracy until his death, which occurred when he as eighty-three years of age. In the family were fourteen children: H. Morgan, who is a prominent citizen of Mantua township and a veteran of the Civil war; Mrs. Sarah N. Deyo, of Mountain Grove, Missouri; Mrs. Virginia Pittinger, of that place; S. Floyd; Mrs. Hulda Rogers, of Nebraska; Mrs. Mary Perrin, of Mantua township; America, deceased; Zadok and Leander, who are resident farmers of Mantua township; Elliott, of Tacoma, Washington; Emery, a prominent citizen of Urbana township, Monroe county; Frank, who is living on the old homestead farm, where his mother died at the advanced age of eighty-one years; Grant; who died at the age of sixteen years; and one that died in infancy.
No event of special importance occurred to vary the routine of farm life for Samuel Floyd Chidester in his youth. He worked upon the farm and gained a practical experience of the best methods of caring for the stock and of cultivating the fields. He pursued his studies in a log schoolhouse with slab seats and puncheon floor, and at the age of nineteen years was married to Celestia Stevenson, who was then sixteen years of age. They have since traveled life's journey together, sharing with each other its joys and sorrows, its adversity and prosperity.
Mrs. Chidester was born in this township and pursued her education here. Her father, John Stevenson, one of the early settlers of Mantua township, passed away in 1896, while her mother, who bore the maiden name of Dorliska Bates, passed away in 1879. The children were as follows: Grandison, of Des Moines, Iowa; George, of Oregon: Charles, of Mantua township; Mrs. Chidester; Fred, who died on the home farm at the age of sixteen years; Eben, who was accidentally shot at the age of twenty-seven years and died as the result of his injury; an infant son died unnamed; Laura Jane, who resides with our subject; and Robert, who was killed for his money in California. Mr. Stevenson was seventy-nine years of age when called to his final rest, his birth having occurred in Ireland in 1817, while his wife, who was born in Ohio, died at the age of sixty-two years. They both held membership in the Baptist church and were people of sterling worth.
Mr. and Mrs. Chidester have had two sons and three daughters. Isan, who is a barber of Blakesburg, Iowa, wedded Millie Hampshire, of Ottumwa, this state, and they have two sons, Harold and Edmond. Susan is the wife of Riley Kendall, of Ottumwa, Iowa, and they have three children, Audrey, Goldie and Floyd. George, who lives in New Mexico, wedded Myrtle Miller and has two sons, Paul and Boyd. Mrs. Laura Denning is a resident of Poweshiek county, Iowa, and her children are Loyd and Ona. One daughter, Lavina, was accidentally burned to death when three years of age.
The home farm is pleasantly located not far from Albia, on section 27, Mantua township, and comprises ninety-five acres of land, on which are found substantial buildings and all modern accessories. Mr. Chidester votes with the Democracy and has served as a member of the school board. His wife belongs to the Christian Union Club, and his moral standard is that of the golden rule, which he practices in his daily life, and as a result his career has ever been an honorable and upright one, worthy of the confidence and esteem of those with whom he has been associated.
Luther Chisman is a self-made man, whose industry and energy in his chosen life work have made him one of the well-to-do agriculturists of his community. His birth occurred in Dearborn county, Indiana, October 21, 1851, and he comes of an old Pennsylvania family of German descent. His paternal grandfather, John Chisman, was a native of the Keystone state, but became a resident of Iowa, and both he and his wife died in Wapello county and were laid to rest in a cemetery near their home. Their son, Edward Chisman, was born in Indiana and spent the days of his youth upon a farm in Dearborn county. When he had reached man's estate he desired a companion and helpmeet for the journey of life and married Miss Keturah Clark, who was born in Ohio, and belonged to a prominent family of that state of English ancestry, but was reared in Indiana.
In 1853 they left their home in Dearborn county and with their family came to Iowa, settling in Polk township, Wapello county, near the Monroe county line, he having here purchased a tract of government land in 1850. It was then raw prairie, on which not a furrow had been turned or an improvement made, but with characteristic energy he began to plow the fields and in course of time made his tract a valuable farm property. In the family were the following children: Amanda, the wife of Pete Burjeson, of Blakesburg, Iowa; Anna, the wife of H. D. Lane and died in Wapello county; Trumbull; and Josephine, deceased. The father died upon the homestead farm in 1861, at the age of forty-one years. He was a Democrat in his political views and served as justice of the peace and as a member of the school board. He held membership in the Baptist church, to which his widow also belongs. She still resides upon the farm and on the 13 th of November, 1902, she attained her eight-first year.
Luther Chisman spent his early boyhood days with his parents, but at the age of fourteen years started out to earn his own living. Previous to this time he had been a student in a district school, in which there were seventy-five students and tow teachers in a room twenty-two by twenty-four feet. It was known as the Liberty school, and to that institution he is indebted for all the mental training he received inside a schoolroom. Mr. Chisman was married on the 5 th of February, 1874, to Miss Tennie Burjeson, a native of Sweden, in which country she was educated. Her parents were Jacob and Lena Burjeson, and the latter died during the infancy of Tennie. The father, however, came to America and for six years was a resident of Iowa.
Mr. Chisman's first purchase of land comprised eighty acres in Cedar township, Monroe county, and was bought with money acquired through his own labor at farm work. After four years he sold this property and removed to Kansas, where he remained for four years and then returned to Iowa, settling on a rented farm in Ringgold county, near Kellerton. In 1888 he purchased a farm of William Wilcox in Mantua township, Monroe county, comprising one hundred and sixty acres of land, and has since resided on this property, which constitutes one of the best farms in the locality because of its many excellent improvements, its good grades of stock and highly cultivated fields. There are blue-grass pastures, verdant meadows and grain fields which give promise of rich harvests, and the farm is well fenced and everything is in good condition.
To Mr. and Mrs. Chisman have been born six children: James, who is twenty-four years of age and assists in the cultivation of the home farm; Ina, the wife of Charles Springer, a prominent farmer of this township; Retta, who is a student in the high school of Albia; Alta, who is eleven years of age; Edward, who died at the age of twenty-one years; he was a young man loved by all for his good qualities and his loss was deeply felt throughout the community; and Sarah, who died a the age of two and a half years, in the state of Kansas. Mr. Chisman's study of political questions has led him to endorse the principles of the Democratic party, and he has frequently been a delegate to its county conventions. He is regarded as one of the substantial citizens of the community, being found on the side of progress and improvement in all matters pertaining to the general good, and in matters of business his straightforward and reliable dealing is one of his strong characteristics and has led to his success.
The paternal ancestors of Mr. Clark were New Englanders, and his father, Wareham G. Clark, was born and reared in the state of Connecticut, and engaged in mercantile pursuits in New York city for several years prior to coming west in 1840. On August 23, 1843, at Troy, Van Buren county, Iowa, he married Jane L. Rankin, a native of Ohio, and of Scotch-Irish parentage. This worthy couple were among the very first to come to the newly opened territory of Iowa, taking up their abode in Monroe, or, as it was then called, Kishkekosh county, at a place afterward known as Clarks Point, three miles northwest of Albia, where young Clark had made claim on May 1, 1843. He was one of the enterprising farmers of the county, and remained here until his death, June 16, 1890, in his seventy-eighth year.
He was the representative of Monroe and Appanoose counties in the second constitutional convention, held in Iowa City in May, 1846, and in other ways was prominently connected with the history of the growth and development of Monroe county. His wife died in 1898, in her seventy-third year, having become the mother of twelve children, one daughter and eleven sons, all of whom are now living; the oldest is fifty-eight years of age and the youngest thirty-six, and ten of them are residents of Monroe county, one of Nebraska and one of Idaho.
One of the twelve is John R. Clark, who was born at Clarks Point, Monroe county, January 3, 1855, and has been a continuous resident of this county ever since, with the exception of two years spent in Nebraska, form 1878 to 1880. In the same year as his birth he parents sold the original place with the intention of moving to Texas, but hey were deterred form this course by the sickness of John R., which was thus a fateful event and probably changed the course of the lives of the whole family. The parents then bought the place which has ever since been known as the old homestead, situated four and one-half miles southwest of Albia, and where the children al grew up and received such educational advantages as were obtainable in the district schools.
Mr. Clark has always been an observant man, and has thus supplemented the knowledge which he obtained in his youth so as to be prepared for a successful business career. And the fact that he was reared on a farm, with all its wholesome environments, and that he has been taught the habits of economy and industry and has been strictly temperate and moral in his life, have all aided him in attaining an influential place in the world. He engaged in farming, threshing and sawmilling for some time, and later, with his older brother, W. Grant Clark, opened an agricultural implement store in Albia under the name of Clark Brothers. This is one of the leading firms in the county. The proprietors have dealt extensively in real estate and now own nearly one thousand acres of land in the county, and besides dealing in implements carry a stock of flour, feed, etc., and are proprietors of Clark Brothers and Company, undertakers and dealers in furniture, this establishment being the leading business of that kind in the county.
Mr. Clark has always been interested in political matters and has mainly voted with the Democratic party since he attained his majority. In November, 1892, he was elected county auditor and served two years, but was defeated in the race for re-election by the Republican landslide in 1894. In 1896 and 1900 he was one of the delegates from the sixth district of Iowa to the national Populists' conventions. In 1896 he became the owner of the Monroe County News, the only Democratic paper in the county, and it is largely due to his management that the paper has gained such a foothold in Monroe county and has become one of the leading Democratic organs of southern Iowa. Mr. Clark is a member of the Masonic order, and in religious matters assumes liberal views.
On March 2, 1883, Mr. Clark was married at Creston, Iowa, to Miss Lilla E. Boggs, who was born and reared in Monroe county, the oldest child of Percy and Jemima Boggs, who also were among the very earliest settlers of Monroe county and are still living at Albia. They are both of Virginia birth. Her grandfather, Josiah C. Boggs, built the first house in Troy township, and possibly in the county, for it was constructed as soon as possible after the first day of May, 1843. Mr. Boggs was prominent in the early history of the county and died at the age of eighty-three years, having reared a large family.
The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Clark are: Lura R., born April 23, 1884; M. Grace, September 23, 1885; Wareham Grant, March 9, 1887; Lilla E. Beth, June 18, 1890; and Jessie R., April 27, 1894. the two oldest are graduates of the Albia high school, and Grace completed a course at the C.C.C. College of Des Moines in stenography and typewriting. The family reside in a modest home in the north part of Albia, and here Mr. Clark devoted much of his time to fruit culture when not occupied with his business.
When O. S. Clark opened his eyes to the light of the world the territory of Iowa had not been admitted to statehood, and he certainly, therefore, can claim the title of being an old resident of the state. Great has been the progress of this state since that time, and among the men who have helped to develop the resources of this favored country Mr. Clark holds prominent place. His father's name was William G. Clark. He was born in Connecticut and spent his early life there. It was in 1843 that he came to Iowa and located in Troy township, Monroe county, at a place called Clarks Point. Here he took up a claim of six hundred and forty acres of raw land and was soon engaged in making this virgin soil bring forth useful crops where before it had run to wildness.
In the fall of 1855 he bought about four hundred acres in Monroe township and remained on this farm until his death, in 1893, when at the age of seventy-seven. He was married in Van Buren county, in May, 1843, to Jane S. Rankin. She was a native of Ohio and came to Indiana with her parents at the age of fourteen and came on to Iowa in 1844. She became the mother of twelve children, eleven sons and one daughter, of whom all are living. Mr. Clark was a Democrat, but was an abolitionist in regard to the slave question.
O. S. Clark was the oldest child in the above family, and his birth occurred in Troy township, January 12, 1845. The first nine years of his life were spent in Troy township, and he was then taken to Monroe township, where he completed his mental training in the common schools. He remained on the home farm until thirty years old, and at that age was married to Sarah F. Babb, a daughter of Isaac Babb, who was one of Iowa's pioneer settlers. Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Clark, one of whom died in infancy. The others are as follows: Sarah, Margaret, Susan, Ralph, Benjamin and Luther. Mr. Clark bought the farm on which he now lives in 1875, and at the present time owns two hundred and fifty acres of good land, on which he raises excellent crops. He is a member of the Prohibition party and is one of the highly respected citizens of Monroe county, always being found on the side of right and progress.
The name of James W. Claver is inseparably interwoven with the history of Monroe county. He is one of its honored pioneers and most esteemed and worthy farmers. His birth, however, occurred in the old Hoosier state, in Putnam county, where he first opened his eyes to the light of day on the 28 th of August, 1845. When nine years of age, in 1854, he accompanied his parents on their removal to Iowa, the family locating where our subject now resides, and with the exception of his term of one year in charge of the county farm this locality has since continued to be his home. When the Civil war was inaugurated for the preservation of the Union, Mr. Claver nobly offered his services to his native country, enlisting in June, 1863, in Company C, Eighth Iowa Cavalry, under Colonel J. B. Dorr. His military record was indeed an honorable one and when the war had closed and the country no longer needed his services he was mustered out at Clinton, Iowa.
Returning thence to his home, he remained under the paternal roof until his twenty-second year, when he was married to Eliza Hilliard, a native of Van Burn county, Iowa. They became the parents of five children, three of whom still survive: Ervin E., Nellie and Bert F., all of whom are married, and Ervin E. and Nellie have each two children. The first born in this family died at the age of two years, and another passed away in infancy. The wife and mother also passed into eternal rest, and in 1888 Mr. Claver was united in marriage to Loretta Bucher, by whom he has one son, Frank W.
After his first marriage Mr. Claver settled down to farm life on the old homestead, which is located about seven miles north of Albia, in Bluff Creek township, and the many improvements here inaugurated by the father have been carried out by the son, and it is now one of the valuable homesteads of the locality. The fellow townsmen of our subject, who have recognized his worth and ability, have called him to many public offices, and among the many local positions which he has held may be mentioned that of township trustee, while for many years he was also a member of the school board. He has, since casting his first vote, continued to uphold the principles of the old Republican party. The family attend the services of the Methodist Episcopal church. As the years have passed by Mr. Claver has acquired a handsome competence. He possesses the sterling qualities of the sturdy pioneers who have bravely faced the trials and hardships of life on the plains in order to make homes for their families, and thus aided in laying the foundation for the present prosperity and progress of this portion of the state.
As the gentleman above named has been a resident of Iowa since 1849, three years after the state's admission into the Union, he is entitled to the designation “early pioneer,” and also to the respectful consideration which attaches to that name everywhere. The variety of Mr. Cramer's pursuits, his large experience with men and affairs, and the adventures that have befallen him during his long career make him an unusually entertaining companion, and a pleasant evening may be passed any time by one who induces Mr. Cramer to relate his experiences. He can tell stories of what happened while he was an officer of the law arresting criminals; he knows how to keep hotel from twenty years' experience in that business; as proprietor of a transfer company he has come in constant contact with that irritable quantity called the traveling public. But above all, Mr. Cramer once had charge of a circus and was successful in its management. He sold his circus to Sells Brothers. Knowing that others will be interested in such a man, pains have been taken to obtain the main details of his life, which will now be unfolded in consecutive order.
The genealogy will be started with the grandparents on either side, both of whom were Pennsylvanians of some note in their day. Christopher Crane, the maternal grandfather, served as a soldier in the war of 1812, and paternal grandfather Cramer, who spelled his name with an initial K, was a minister in the Lutheran church. The latter had a son, Christian J. Cramer, who was born at the family home in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, and after he grew up learned the trade of a harnessmaker. He married Barbara Crane, of Huntington, and later settled in Blair county, Pennsylvania, where he spent some years in the prosecution of his regular calling. It was while his parents resided in Blair county that their son, George P. Cramer, was born, March 16, 1834, and he spent the first fifteen years of his life in the place of his nativity.
In 1849 the family migrated to the distant state of Iowa by the somewhat crude and mingled methods of travel then in vogue, and after their destination was reached a home was established in the county of Fairfield, Jefferson township. They moved on a farm, but came to Albia in the spring of 1850. George P., not finding the opportunity he wanted near home, went over to Fort Des Moines and secured a job of hauling sawlogs. This, however, he kept up only two months and then began looking around for something more suitable to his taste. Albia, now the prosperous capital of Monroe county, was at that time a mere hamlet, but Mr. Cramer determined to cast his lot with what seemed to be a promising place and located there in the fall of 1849. Securing a clerkship in a dry goods store, he supported himself from his salary for two years. The father having reopened his harness ship at that place, the son joined him and spent two years as assistant manager and salesman. The termination of this period brought him to the completion of the nineteenth year of his age, at which time he made his first important business venture. Beginning as a buyer and shipper of live stock at Albia in 1853, his business grew with the town, and Mr. Cramer was one of the important dealers in this industry until 1866, when he closed out.
His next venture was in the dry goods business, which he conducted at Albia two years and disposed of for the purpose of organizing a circus. This move seemed to be out of his line and caused some wonder among Mr. Cramer's friends, but he showed that he knew what he was doing and soon had his knights of the ring and sawdust, his accomplished equestrians, his fun-making clowns and other wonders going all over the country and showing to crowded tents. That he was making a success of it is amply proved by the fact that the great aggregation knows as Sells Brothers bought him out of 1870. After this exciting experience Mr. Cramer settled down to the more peaceful pursuit of hotel keeping, and for almost twenty-three years made the Cramer Hotel one of the most popular stopping places at Albia. In connection with the hostelry he conducted a bus and transfer company, of which he is still in active control. Though a lifelong Republican, having cast his maiden presidential vote for John C. Fremont, the party's first candidate, his office holding has been limited to membership in the city council and service as constable and deputy sheriff.
On April 26, 1856, Mr. Cramer was married to Miss Rachel Webb, whose ancestry is deserving of more than a passing notice. Her great-grandparents, Adrian and Lucinda Webb, were Virginians, who removed to Ohio early in the nineteenth century. Among their children was a son named John, who served as a substitute for his father in the war of 1812 and drew a pension. He owned a farm in Preble county, Ohio, and there, on the 28 th of September, 1818, was born to him a son named Jacob. The latter remained under the paternal roof until the completion of his twentieth year, when he went to Iowa and in the fall of 1838 located in Van Buren county. Not being satisfied with the situation, he “about-faced” and went to Rush county, Indiana, and a few years later to Jefferson county, in the same state.
In the spring of 1846 he returned to Iowa, took possession of a farm in Monroe county and operated it until elected clerk of the court, in which office he served three terms. In 1855 he went to California, spent two years there and in July, 1857, reappeared at his home in Albia after a tedious trip across the plains. In 1860 he took another trip west this time on a prospecting expedition, which lasted about eighteen months, and since then Mr. Webb has resided at Albia. In 1840 he was married to Sarah J., a daughter of David and Susan ( Donney ) Caldwell, natives of Kentucky, who died in Iowa. One of the children by this marriage was Mrs. Rachel Cramer, who was born in Rush county, Indiana, December 4, 1840, and died in Albia, Iowa, December 22, 1882, leaving three children.
W.P. Cramer, the youngest of these, was born in Jefferson county, Iowa, April 13, 1863, and died in Albia in 1895. The first child was Anna, now the wife of Sheriff John Doner, of whom a sketch is printed in another part of this volume. The second of the children was Emma, who married Thomas Mitchell and has one child. March 22, 1888, Mr. Cramer contracted a second marriage, with Melissa Garlinghouse, a native of Kentucky, by whom he has two children: George G., born July 12, 1889, and Elsie A., born December 27, 1891. The family enjoy cordial welcome in the best circles of Iowa society. He is also prominent in connection with the fraternal orders, having been a Mason for twenty years and a member of the Knights of Pythias almost from the incorporation of the organization, which he joined when there were only twenty-one in the state.
[Note: Included in John S. Sutcliffe biography pg: 612]
Many years have passed since this gentleman arrived in Monroe county, and he is therefore numbered among her honored pioneers as well as leading citizens. Long since has he passed the psalmist's span of three-score years and ten, being now in his eighty-fifth year, and his birth occurred in Kentucky. His father, John Sutcliffe, was born in England and was a local minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, while by trade he was a reed-maker. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Mary Lomax, was also a native of England, and their marriage was celebrated in Kentucky. She was a daughter of John and Magdalene ( Stelly ) Lomax. John Sutcliffe and wife became the parents of the following children: Frederick, Mary A., Eliza, two who died when young, Seneca, Elsie, Julia, John S. and Joseph. In 1855 the parents came to Monroe county, Iowa, where they became owners of a valuable farm, but subsequently they removed to Fayette county, Indiana, from which commonwealth both were called to their final rest, the father passing away at the age of sixty-three years.
John S. Sutcliffe was reared in both Kentucky and Indiana, and in early life was taught the trade of reed-making. Since 1855 he has been a resident of Iowa, and his first home in this state was a little log cabin, which has since given place to a comfortable and commodious residence, and he has also erected a good barn, forty by eighty feet, and many other necessary farm buildings. His landed possessions consist of three hundred and twenty acres, where he is engaged in general farming and stock raising, and on his place is a valuable orchard of two acres. For fifty years Mr. and Mrs. Sutcliffe have traveled life's journey together, their mutual love and confidence increasing as year by year they have together met the joys and sorrows, the adversity and prosperity which checker the careers of all. Their marriage was celebrated in Fayette county, Indiana, and she bore the maiden name of Mary Jane Robinson, being a daughter of William and Elizabeth ( Shelly ) Robinson and a native of Fayette county. She was the eldest of her parents' six children, the others being: John and Franklin, deceased; Oscar H., who died in California; Martha Ann, who died in Missouri; and Wash, who passed away in California. The parents both died in Cooper county, Missouri. Two children blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Sutcliffe, but the son William died when only six weeks old.
Their daughter, Mary Elizabeth, was born in Fayette county, Indiana, on the 27 th of June, 1850, and was reared and received her education in Monroe county, Iowa. She was first marred to William Whitmore, a well known citizen of the county and a soldier of the Civil war, he having served in the Thirty-sixth Iowa Volunteer Infantry. At his death he left his widow with three children: John Oliver, a business man of Brown county, Kansa; Ellen, the wife of N. Stump and the mother of three children—Maud, Charles and Ona; and Minnie Jane, who became the wife of Thomas Smith and has two children, Florence and Fern Elizabeth.
On the 17 th of October, 1900, Mrs. Whitmore married Adam Crawshaw , who was born in Clinton, Iowa, September 12, 1843. His father, James Crawshaw, was born in Lancaster county, England, and after coming to the United States took up his abode in Rochester, New York. As early as 1837 he took up his abode in Iowa, thus becoming one of its earliest pioneers, and his death occurred in Clinton, this state, in 1851, when he was but thirty-six years of age. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Dorothy Dunn, passed away in 1845, leaving one son, Adam Crawshaw. James Crawshaw was twice married, and by his second union became the father of two children, Alice Ann, the wife of ex-Governor Leslie Shaw, and Jane Gulick, of Denison, Iowa.
Adam Crawshaw proved himself a loyal defender of his country in her time of trouble, having for two years served as a soldier in Company G, Fourteenth United States Volunteer, Infantry, First Brigade, Second Division, Fifth Army Corps of the Army of the Potomac. His military services covered a period of two years and nine months, on the expiration of which period he received an honorable discharge and returned to his home in Iowa. In this state he was united in marriage to Mary C. Tony, who bore him three children: James T., a resident of Nebraska; Dorothy R., deceased; and O. U., who makes his home in Pennsylvania.
In 1874 Adam Crawshaw removed to Nebraska, where for some years he made his home in York county, but in 1886 went to Oberlin, Decatur county, Kansas, where in 1900 he held the position of census enumerator. For four years he also served as oil inspector of Iowa under Governor Shaw. Before reaching his twenty-first year, with a soldier's privilege, he supported Lincoln in his race for the presidency, and has ever continued to give his allegiance to the Republican party. His services in behalf of the Union during the Civil war entitle him to membership in the Grand Army of the Republic, where he maintains pleasant relations with his old army comrades of the blue.