Appanoose County >> 1913 Index

Past and present of Appanoose County, Iowa: ... 
L. L. Taylor, editor.  Chicago : S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913. 

H


Unless otherwise specified, biographies submitted by Dick Barton.

JAMES GALBRAITH, attorney-at-law, came to Centerville from central Ohio about 1854, and became a law partner of Amos Harris, under the firm name of Harris & Galbraith. The partnership was continued until 1863, when he went to California. He was once elected a representative in the legislature and was afterward elected county judge.
 
AMOS HARRIS was the first attorney permanently located in Appanoose county. He was born in Madison county, Ohio, in 1822. He studied law in Ohio and came to Centerville in 1847. He was elected prosecuting attorney, as the office was then called, in 1849, and reelected in 1851. In 1852 he was elected representative to the legislature from this county. In 1854 he was elected county judge. In 1855 he was elected a delegate to the constitutional convention which met in Iowa City, January 19, 1857, and took an active part in the convention, displaying that activity and legal ability that afterward marked his career as an attorney. In 1858 he was elected district attorney for the second judicial district of Iowa. He was a very able lawyer, and filled the office of district attorney with fidelity, and to the satisfaction of his constituents. In 1875 he removed to Wichita, Kansas, where he died some years after, leaving a widow and three sons.

John M. Hicks 

Among the citizens of Appanoose county who have attained an honored place in the community through their acknowledged ability and personal worth and whose business activities have been important enough to affect the general development of the city is John M. Hicks, one of the most extensive stock buyers and shippers in this part of Iowa. His birth occurred in Hancock county, Tennessee, on the 16th of March, 1851, his parents being Gabe and Sarah (Seals) Hicks, both natives of that state. The paternal grandfather was of German-English lineage, and the grandmother Scotch-Irish, and both came to this country at an early day. The marriage of the parents occurred in Tennessee and in the spring of 1857 they came west, locating in Appanoose county, Iowa, where the father purchased two hundred acres of well-improved farm land near Unionville. He carried on general agriculture for some time but finally concentrated his attention upon raising stock, which he shipped to the eastern markets. He remained upon the farm until his death, which occurred in 1870, after which his wife removed to Unionville, where she passed away. In their family were four children: Andy and Larkin, who have passed away; R. M., a resident of Centerville; and John M., of this review.

John M. Hicks was a small child when he was brought to Appanoose county by his parents. When he had attained the usual age he entered the district school and there acquired his education, aiding his father with the work of the farm when not engaged with his books. After the death of Gabe Hicks, the subject of this review came to Unionville with his mother and here worked with a section gang until 1876, when he formed a partnership with J. B. Morrison with whom he engaged in the hoop- manufacturing business for some time. In 1887 he left Iowa and removed to Perkins county, Nebraska, where he purchased land and engaged in farming. However, he returned in the fall of 1890 and bought three hundred and twenty acres of land in Udell township, upon which he engaged extensively in raising high-grade stock. In 1895 his house was torn to pieces by a severe cyclone and one year later he sold the farm to W. C. Miller and moved into Unionville, his present home. However, he still continues active in stock dealing, upon which he has concentrated his attention for a number of years, shipping to the Chicago market. All of his business affairs are judiciously carried forward, showing discriminating business judgment and a marked spirit of enterprise, and prosperity has come as a natural result of his ability which commanded it.

On the 22d of February, 1876, Mr. Hicks was united in marriage to Miss Laura J. Miller, a daughter of Claudius and Martha J. (Baldridge) Miller, the father born in Hickman county, Tennessee, December 1, 1824. The paternal grandparents of Mrs. Hicks were Nathaniel and Sarah (Martin) Miller, natives of North Carolina. On the maternal side the grandparents were Andrew and Margaret Baldridge, early settlers in Tennessee, where the father followed the trade of millwright until his death. Mrs. Hicks' father, Claudius Miller, attended a subscription school in Hickman county, Tennessee, and his education was extremely limited and has been largely acquired through reading and observation in later years. He married in Tennessee in April, 1845, and three years later came to Iowa, locating in Appanoose county as a pioneer and taking up government land in Union township. On August 22, 1862, he enlisted in Company C, Thirty-sixth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, going to the front as second sergeant. He won promotion to the position of first sergeant on the 7th of March, 1863, and on the 3d of February, 1865, was made first lieutenant, with which rank he was mustered out on the 24th of August, 1865, at Devall Bluff, Arkansas. He returned home and for a time engaged in the general merchandise business in Unionville, conducting a profitable enterprise for a number of years and finally selling it in order to go to Nebraska, where he took up farming. In 1893 he returned to Unionville and opened a general store which he conducted successfully until 1906, when he retired from active life. His first wife passed away in Appanoose county in 1875. To their union were born nine children: Benjamin G., whose birth occurred in 1848 and who died in Iowa about 1906; Joseph, who was born in Appanoose county, October 27, 1850, and who is engaged in farming in Kidder, Missouri; John, who was born in Appanoose county, September 3, 1853, and who died August 16, 1854; Laura J., the wife of the subject of this review, born May 27, 1855; Amanda, who has born April 9, 1857, and who is the wife of John E. Miller, a carpenter in Unionville; Sarah, who was born September 20, 1859, and who is the wife of George Stutevoss, a stock-raiser, of Elsie, Nebraska, who died October 14, 1895; Snow, who was born July 19, 1861, and died in infancy; W. C., who was born August 20, 1862, and who is engaged in farming in Udell township; and Rosa, who was born June 19, 1866, and who is the wife of Wyke Large, of Sapulpa, Oklahoma. After the death of his first wife Mr. Miller married Miss Dorcas E. Jennings, a daughter of Percy and Lydia (Casey) Jennings, the former a carpenter of Greene county, Pennsylvania, where both parents passed away. Mrs. Miller came to Iowa previous to her marriage and taught for some time in the schools of Unionville and Moulton. She died in 1899, leaving two children: Mabel, who was born January 2, 1882, and who is the wife of Frederick Koehler, a dairyman of Ratoon, Mexico; and Agnes, who was born September 18, 1883, and who is residing at home. Mr. Miller is one of the well-known and prominent citizens of Unionville. For many years he has taken an active part in local republican politics and has served as county supervisor and as state representative. He is a member of the blue lodge of Masons, and his religious views are in accord with the doctrines of the Methodist Episcopal church, which direct and influence the activities of his every-day life. To Mr. and Mrs. Hicks has been born a son, Claudius R., whose natal day was December 9, 1878, and who is at present acting as train dispatcher at Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He married Miss Annette Hawn, of Vinton, and they have two children, Mildred Maurice and Laura Jeannette.

Mr. Hicks is a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal church, to which his wife also belongs. He is connected with the blue lodge of Masons and stands high both in business and social circles, for he is a man who commands the confidence and high regard of all with whom he is brought into contact. His political support is given to the democratic party and as a public-spirited citizen he takes a commendable interest in the welfare and growth of the community, although this never takes the form of office seeking.

Charles Albert Hornaday  

No history of Appanoose county would be complete without a review of the career of Charles Albert Hornaday, one of the founders of the town of Udell and since its organization one of the greatest individual forces in its continued development, advancement and growth. He is in addition one of the prominent and important farmers and stock-raisers in his township, where he owns one hundred and sixty acres of well improved land on section 18, and by his progressive methods, his scientific work and his well-deserved success has constituted himself a powerful factor in agricultural circles. Appanoose county numbers him among her native sons, for his birth occurred in Washington township, January 27, 1865, his parents being Elisha and Emily C. Hornaday, natives of Hendricks county, Indiana. But little is known of the earlier history of this family beyond the fact that the first representatives probably came from Ireland. In addition to the members of the family now living in Appanoose county there is another branch at Fort Scott, Kansas, to which Grant C. Hornaday belongs, and another at Keokuk, Iowa, where Calvin Hornaday resides. Another member of this family, William T. Hornaday, is manager of the National Zoological Park at New York City.

Charles A. Hornaday acquired his early education in the public schools of Appanoose county and afterward attended Oskaloosa College in Oskaloosa, Iowa, for three years. He began his independent career by teaching school, in which occupation he engaged for seven terms, after which he took up his residence on his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres on section 18, Udell township, and engaged in general agricultural pursuits and stock-raising. Both branches of his business prospered extensively under his able management and in 1903 he added to his activities by becoming interested in the seed business, which now forms one of his most important interests. He is progressive, modern and practical in all that he does and in consequence his efforts have been rewarded by gratifying prosperity, his success placing him today among the men of marked ability and substantial worth in this part of the state.

During the entire period of his active career Mr. Hornaday has been prominent in all movements which had for their object the further development, improvement and upbuilding of this section and he has figured influentially in all progressive public enterprises. He was one of the founders of the thriving little town of Udell and was largely instrumental in inducing the Rock Island Railroad to build and maintain a station here. He represented the citizens of his district before the board of railroad commissioners of the state at a hearing at Udell, January 31, 1894, appearing against Mr. Brayton, who represented the Rock Island Railroad. Important testimony was introduced by other leading citizens, among whom were J. J. Wall, D. W. Bean, J. B. Stuckey, James McDonald, John B. Powell and A. H. Stuckey, and after all the evidence had been heard the board decided that it was the duty of the Rock Island Railroad to provide reasonable shipping facilities to the section of Appanoose county surrounding Udell and that a new town be founded, where the road should build a depot, provide an agent and install sidetracks and stock yards. From this beginning the flourishing community of Udell has grown and has advanced rapidly, taking high rank today among other towns of similar size in point of extent of shipments of live stock, grain and seeds, especially timothy seed.

On the 17th of March, 1889, Mr. Hornaday was united in marriage to Miss Irene D. Caylor, a daughter of William Caylor, of Udell township. To this union were born three children: William Le Roy, whose birth occurred January 6, 1890; Charles A., born August 18, 1891; and Bonnie Lee, who was born February 12, 1893, and who on March 17, 1912, married Fay Cleo Staly, a son of Clay Staly, of Douglas township. Mr. Hornaday's first wife passed away on the 20th of February, 1894, and on September 9, 1896, he was again wedded. His second union was with Miss Nellie B. McConnell, a daughter of T. P. McConnell, of Udell township. They became the parents of four children: Homer Preston, whose birth occurred June 30, 1897; Finley Leedom, born May 29, 1900; Irma Sadie, whose birth occurred January 5, 1903; and Olive Vega, born July 1, 1907.

Mr. Hornaday is a devout and active member of the Christian church and has served as its trustee for ten years. He has for a long time taken an important part in Sunday school work and at different periods has taught classes and served for three years as superintendent of the Bible school. He gives his allegiance to the democratic party and is active in local affairs, having served as school treasurer continuously for over twenty years. He is always ready to do his part in advancing the interests of the county along many lines of development and upbuilding and gives his hearty cooperation to movements for the good of Udell and the surrounding district. He holds a high place among progressive and successful men, for his enterprise, indefatigable energy and business probity are the salient features in his career.