Brief Biographies of Early Residents of Waterloo, Black Hawk Co., Iowa
A - L
Fred Adams graduated from East High School . He established Adams Wholesalers, Inc. in 1912. A paper firm, Adams Wholesalers was purchased in 1936 by Waterloo Paper Co. From 1929 to 1932, Fred Adams was president of the Board of Education.
Bess Streeter Aldrich was educated at the Iowa State Normal School (now UNI) and later taught there. The novelist's most famous books include A Lantern in Her Hand , The Lieutenant's Lady , Miss Bishop , and Song of Years . (Zimri Streeter, Bess' grandfather, was the basis for the character of Jeremiah Martin in Song of Years .)
Henry B. Allen wrote of his experiences in "Recollections and Sketches of Early Day Lawyers and Public Men of Iowa," edited by Edward H. Stiles. Allen was one of the first lawyers in Waterloo and Black Hawk County . On his first visit to Waterloo , Allen was dismayed to find no vacancies at the only hotel in town, the Sherman House. However, arrangements were made for Allen to stay the night with nearby residents (the Crittendens) who allowed him and his friend to sleep on the floor. Finding no suitable land available for purchase in the area, Allen returned to Dubuque , taught school for the winter, and acted as a deputy assessor during the spring.
He entered the law office of Judge Pollock in Dubuque , but found the city overstocked with lawyers. During sub-zero weather in January, 1857, Allen made another trip to Waterloo . He started for the area in a four-horse stagecoach on runners with the snow two to three feet deep and the mercury down to 20 below zero. Despite the weather, this time Allen stayed. He formed a partnership with Judge Sylvester Bagg (Bagg & Allen). They remained partners for 10 years, eventually adding O.C. Miller. Later, Allen formed a partnership with Horace Boies (Boies & Allen). This partnership also continued for about 10 years with the addition of C.F. Couch.
A failing First National Bank asked Allen to take over cashiership in 1865. After helping the bank become solvent, Allen took the position of bank president. He withdrew from his law career at this time and remained bank president for twenty-five years. Adding to his many land holdings, Allen became a farmer and stock breeder of Shorthorn cattle and trotting horses. At his 1,100 acre stock farm, Allen kept fifty brood mares and several stallions.
In 1921, Allen Memorial Hospital was built on Donald Street on land donated by Allen. He intended the hospital as a memorial to his wife. He also donated his 80 acre farm for the hospital and to finance the hospital's construction, platted 70 acres around it into residential lots.
Carl Frederick Altstadt returned to Iowa in 1898 and worked two years as a chef in the Fortner Hotel in Waverly. In 1900, Altstadt worked for A.D. Schorle, owner of Schorle Vienna Model Bakery in Waterloo , but he only remained at this job a few months. While working at Friedl bakery for a year, Altstadt learned Schorle's business was for sale and Carl was interested. Altstadt married Elizabeth Langlas (sister of his business partner) on January 15, 1902 .
The Vienna Bakery operated a factory at Mulberry and Elm Streets that was a model of efficiency and order. The bakery had 25 workers and six delivery wagons. It was taken over in 1903 by C.F. Altstadt and W.H. and J.H. Langlas to become the Altstadt and Langlas Bakery. The bakery was incorporated in 1906.
The company built a factory at 1428 Mulberry in 1905 and added to it in 1908, 1912, 1926, and 1937. In 1926, the company had the capacity to make 2,500 loaves of bread an hour. It is still operated at this site (1993).
Armstrong came to Waterloo in 1908 and was associated with Kelley and Tanneyhill Co., makers of well-drilling equipment. In 1912, Armstrong reorganized the firm as Armstrong Manufacturing Co. He held positions of president, manager, secretary and treasurer in the company.
John Baro came to the United States in 1856 and to Waterloo in 1869. He was in the brewing business for four or five years then opened a bakery and restaurant. He continued in the restaurant business for many years. He and his wife, Anne Friedl, made their home at 408 Mulberry Street .
George Beck came to the United States on June 7, 1833 and to Waterloo in June of 1856. (His father, Michael Beck, built the first canal in the U.S. as a sub-contractor -- the James River canal in Virginia .)
When first arriving in Waterloo , George worked for the Hosford & Miller sawmill where he stayed for three years. Then he purchased a partnership in a shoe and boot business with Detlef Kruse (Beck & Kruse). After quitting the shoe business, Beck bought out Moore, who had previously bought out Hosford & Miller's mill business. In association with Henry and John Nauman, Beck opened the mill as a sash and door factory (Beck, Nauman & Bros.) in December, 1864. The building was located in the Cedar Street Industrial District at the head of Cedar Street .
In 1865 Beck and the Nauman brothers bought the lumber yard of Henry Goodhue. Beck also bought an interest in the Blasburg and Otter woolen mill in 1867, but lost money in this venture. In March of 1883, the Daniel-Nauman Company was formed with Beck as a part of it. The firm lost money the first year, including the destruction by a wind storm of the Commercial ( Waterloo ) College Building , while under construction, for which they were contractors. Their furniture and warehouse were destroyed by fire on January 6, 1884 and the old mill on the dam (used as a mattress factory) was destroyed by fire a few days later. After the death of Daniel, the company name was changed to Beck, Nauman & Watts, Co. In 1899 the Nauman brothers purchased all interests and changed the name to Nauman Brothers.
Henry Bernbrock came to Waterloo in 1902 and purchased an interest in the Waterloo Steam Laundry. In August of that year he bought out his partner and became president of the company. He was later elected state representative. He and his wife, Jean Marcham, resided at 709 South Street .
He was the son of Dr. G.G. Bickley, Sr., one of the pioneer physicians of Waterloo . Returning to Waterloo in 1912 after his education, Dr. Bickley, Jr. engaged in general practice. His wife was Lois Evelyn Storm.
"J. Black, the Dry Goods man," (James Black) an Irish immigrant, was born in 1857 or 1858 in County Donegal . In 1885, James visited his brother, John, already in business in Marshalltown , Iowa . When his mother died, James Black returned to Ireland , but was determined to start a business in America . Returning to Iowa in 1887, he lived in both Marshalltown and Gladbrook before coming to Waterloo .
He opened a store at 122 E. Fourth Street on July, 1892. The 20 by 80-foot "emporium" employed two clerks. A few months after opening, Black brought his nephew, James Graham, from Ireland to help out. Needing more space, in 1899 the store moved to 104-106 E. Fourth Street and later expanded to 107-109 E. Fourth Street .
James Black married Anna M. Harper on September 15, 1892 and a neoclassical home was built at 120 Independence Avenue in 1900 for the family. Black died in 1919, but the company continued to grow for many years.
Horace was the son of Heber and Hattie (Henshaw) Boies. He married Adella King, who died seven years after their marriage. They had one daughter. After studying law in New York , Boies visited Waterloo in the fall of 1857 and again in the winter of 1858. He married Versalia M. Barber of Waterloo and the couple went to New York for a time, but returned to Waterloo in 1867. Boies entered into a law partnership with H.B. Allen (Boies and Allen). This lasted until Allen's retirement. Then Boies was partnered with C.F. Couch until Couch was elected to district court. Boies' son entered the firm meanwhile, so the firm became Boies, Couch, and Boies for a time. He was elected governor of Iowa in 1889 and 1891. Boies was the first Iowa Democratic governor since 1855.
Perry Canfield came to Waterloo in 1904 and that same year established the Canfield Lumber Co. on 10 acres on Falls Avenue in Waterloo . The business was incorporated as a wholesale and retail lumber business with Lee Canfield as president and his brother, Perry, as secretary and treasurer. They also had a lumber business in Dunkerton (established in 1902) which continued until 1914. The brothers opened several other lumberyards around the state. Perry also owned Canfield Airport . Perry married Annie Stewart in 1907. After Lee's first wife, Annie Paulger, died, he married Alice Ripka.
(Thomas Cascaden, Sr., born in Ireland , came to Waterloo around 1870 and entered into the manufacturing of agricultural implements. Thomas, Sr. was the founder of Cascaden Manufacturing Co. which was located at 801-812 Commercial Street in the early 1900s.)
Thomas, Jr. was educated in the Waterloo schools and married the daughter of John Leavitt. Cascaden Jr.'s foundry and machine shop was located near the intersection of West Sixth and Commercial Streets from around 1900. He was the prime mover behind the campaign to create the Westfield factory district. The Westfield edition was laid out near the John Deere Tractor Works in 1902. In the space of one year (from 1902 to 1903), the Westfield area went from being a cornfield to containing six factories and several houses. By 1906, Thomas Cascaden, Jr. had located the Cascaden-Vaughan Co. in this district, but the company was out of business by 1910.
In 1910 the Cascaden Mfc. Co. was purchased by William Galloway. The company made farm implements, feed cookers, lard kettles, hay racks and presses. Cascaden had invented and patented many of these implements.
Waterloo Realty and Investment Co. was organized by Thomas Jr. to provide moderately priced housing. He was also one of the investors of the Home Park Race Track and residential district.
Casebeer was the founder of the Casebeer Heights residential suburb southeast of Waterloo along the Cedar River and a local restaurant operator for more than 40 years. Casebeer served on the city council from 1914 to 1915 and was active in the Democratic party. (He was also one of the men behind the "Airship Hoax.")
The Casebeer family home (of Jack's parents) was located on the south corner of Bluff and Fourth Streets. Jack entered the restaurant business when he was 19 years old, opening a cafe in the 100 block of East Fourth Street . He operated this cafe for three years then opened the O.K. Cafe with his brother, Harry, in the 300 block of West Fourth Street . They sold the O.K. Cafe about 1895 and the brothers started the Casebeer Restaurant in a frame building. After 8 years, they sold this restaurant and built a brick building on Bluff Street between Fourth Street and Park Avenue . Here, they went into the wholesale ice cream and cigar manufacturing business. After this venture, they returned to the restaurant business, operating Casebeer's Restaurant at 400 West Fourth Street for 17 years.
Jack purchased the tract of land for Casebeer Heights about 1924, cleared the underbrush himself, and started the "village". Herman H. Broders built the first cottage in Casebeer Heights , naming it "Pioneer Cottage."
Casebeer also had a reputation as an avid hunter. He was one of the founders of the Waterloo Hunting and Outing club, organized in the late 1890s. Each autumn the club chartered a combined passenger and baggage car on the B. C. R. & N. Railway for a hunting trip to northern Minnesota .
Claude Cass joined his brothers, L.S., J.F., and Gene, in the expansion and development of the W., C. F. & N. line in 1900. Claude became general manager in 1904 and later vice president of the railway. He was general counsel for the American Transit association in Washington, D.C. beginning in 1927 and general manager of the W., C. F. & N. from 1904 to 1923. He made his home at 205 Prospect Avenue .
Louis S. Cass and his two brothers, J.F. and S.F. converted and extended the horse car line into an electric one in 1896. The first electrically operated streetcar line went from Elmwood Cemetery to Cedar River Park (Chautauqua grounds), a 30-minute run.
President of C.W. Chapman Lumber Company, which had lumber yards in six Iowa cities, including Waterloo , Chapman resided at 158 Gates Street . In 1901, Chapman formed the lumber company in Waterloo at 108 East Seventh Street . He was also director of the National Bank of Waterloo from 1933. (Chapman's son was Lieutenant Carl Chapman, the first U.S. aviator to die in World War I.)
Cobb was born at the family home at 410 West Park Avenue where he lived until his death. Cobb's father, Lucius Allen Cobb, Sr., was in the lumber business and built the family home on Park Avenue in 1870. Cobb Sr.'s lumber business was located on Bluff Street between Park Avenue and Fifth Street .
Lucius Cobb, Jr. was a jeweler and watch repairer. He was a watch inspector for the Rock Island and Chicago Great Western railroad for 25 years, retiring in 1940. His first Waterloo store was located at 519 Bluff Street . It remained at this location until about 1933, moving to 510 Jefferson Street where it was located when it was sold in 1940. Cobb was an enthusiastic bicycle rider, becoming a familiar site in the business district astride his old-fashioned, high-wheel bike.
Merrill Coburn operated Coburn's Sports Shop from 1903. The shop was located at 156 West Fourth Street in the Y.M.C.A. building.
Arthur Cole's father, William, came to Waterloo in 1883. With his wife and two oldest sons, William operated "The Anti-Tobacco Grocery." Arthur graduated from West High School . In 1892 he was employed by the Fowler Co. wholesale grocers. He was appointed railway mail clerk on the Rock Island road between Burlington and Minneapolis in 1893. Attending college and working, Arthur attained a degree from the University of Iowa in 1900. He resigned from government service in 1913 and went into real estate full time. He was a director in the Home Building and Loan Association and the People's Mutual Building and Loan Association.
Adelbert's father, Harvey, came to Iowa in 1880 and to Waterloo in 1908. He became associated with Waterloo Laundry Co. and retired in 1927. Adelbert came to Waterloo in 1905. He began his association with Waterloo Laundry Co. in 1908 and purchased an interest in the business in June, 1911. (The business was established in 1878 as Waterloo Steam Laundry.)
Under the management of H.O. Bernbrock and J. G. Sibert, the business expanded, with the installation of dry cleaning equipment. The company acquired additional plants including two in Waterloo -- the Waterloo Laundry and Waterloo Hat Works. In January, 1932, Waterloo Towel & Linen Supply Co. was incorporated to rent towels, linen coats, and aprons. Bernbrock was president with Adelbert Cornwell secretary-treasurer. Bernbrock also incorporated the Jefferson Building Company and appointed Cornwell secretary-treasurer. Cornwell was also director of the Home Building and Loan Association.
George Couch came to Waterloo in 1853. He built the first flour mill (which was also the first mill to use water power) on the west bank of the Cedar River where the YMCA was later built. He was county judge in 1860-61, and in 1861 was confined to Probate. Couch helped organize the First National Bank in February, 1865 and was the first cashier of the bank. He was a member of the state senate from 1870-71. His home was built on the corner of Commercial and Third Streets. It was later sold to Emmons Johnson. The judge moved to Chicago in 1871 and became a member of the Board of Trade. He died in Brooklyn , NY in 1895.
Cutler was educated in Lockport , New York , and came to Waterloo in 1866. He started in the grocery and hardware business as a junior partner in Weatherwax & Cutler. In 1871 he organized Crittenden & Cutler (hardware) and in 1873 the name was changed to Cutler & Parker. The business was incorporated in 1891 under the name of Cutler Hardware Co. In 1901 the company discontinued retail and dealt exclusively in the wholesale hardware trade. They built their five-story business block in 1910. Cutler was also president of the Humane Society and made his residence in Highland .
Emma Dawson (later Mrs. Lovane Parsons) was one of the early women physicians of Iowa and a resident of Waterloo since 1888. She attended Western Normal College , Bushnell , Ill. Later, she completed her medical education at the University of Michigan , Ann Arbor , Michigan . She received her doctor's degree at the Woman's Medical College at Chicago (later included as part of Northwestern University , Evanston , Ill. )
Dr. Parsons was once an associate physician with Dr. Mary Harris Thompson, whom some called the first great woman surgeon of Chicago . In Waterloo , Parsons was associated with Dr. A. Middledetch in the management of the Waterloo Electro-Physical Therapy sanitarium (an institute specializing in the treatment of disease by electro-therapy.) This was also called Waterloo Electric Cure.
Married to Lovane Parsons, a local piano and music dealer, the doctor traveled extensively throughout the world. She toured Europe in 1928 and 1930, made a World Tour (including the Mediterranean , India , China , and Japan ) in 1934 and, in 1938 and 1939, toured South America .
Anna Decker graduated from Gates Business College and was employed as secretary to J.E. Sedgwick from 1903 to 1906. During that time, Sedgwick was secretary of Waterloo Water Works. When Sedgwick became vice president of Leavitt and Johnson National Bank, Decker continued as his secretary until April of 1932.
In June of 1932 she was nominated to the office of treasurer of Black Hawk County as a Republican and was elected in November, 1932. She became the first woman to serve as treasurer for Black Hawk County , beginning her term January 1, 1933 .
Kitty DeLorme came to Waterloo with her parents at age three. She began her stage career at age 14 in local theater. Her brother, Luther B. Freeman, was also connected with the theater as was a sister, known on the stage as Nettie Dalton. Kitty played leading roles with the DeLorme Stock Co., touring the west for three years. She later was connected with the Bennett Moulton Dramatic Co. which traveled the country. Becoming seriously ill, Kitty gave up the stage, but resumed the career after her recovery. She was married March 10, 1910 to William C. Nash.
James Dempster arrived in Waterloo in 1906. He acted as special agent for the Iowa Manufacturers Fire Insurance Company for one year beginning October 1, 1906. He was then employed as an independent insurance agent until 1913. Meanwhile, he served five years as justice of the peace. On May 22, 1912 he was appointed the United States commissioner for this area and on July 14, 1913 he became secretary and director of the Home Building and Loan Association. He was also the secretary of the West Waterloo School Board. His wife was Myrtle Smith.
Dunn came to Waterloo in 1907 and bought the Waterloo Furniture Store, changing its name to the Waterloo Furniture Company. The company was located at 312-314 East Fourth Street in a five story building. Dunn's wife was Ida Jacobs.
William Eighmey had the distinction of being the first white child in Eagle township, Black Hawk County. He was less than one year old when he and his parents made the trip to Iowa in a covered wagon drawn by oxen. McManus and Eighmey incorporated Eagle township. William moved to Waterloo in 1890 and became a well known implement dealer, also operating a grocery store.
Estel graduated from Iowa State University in Ames in 1910 and received a master's degree from the same university in 1921. He came to Waterloo in 1910 and was employed by the state dairy department as a field executive. He became secretary-manager of the National Dairy Cattle Congress in 1917 and retired from the position in 1958. He was also editor and manager of "The Creamery Journal," a trade publication, from 1920 to 1947. Estel assisted in drafting the articles of incorporation for the American Dairy Association in 1940.
From 1916 to 1950 Estel served as secretary and business manager of the Buttermakers Publishing Company, publishers of "The Creamery Journal." In 1918, he organized the International Belgian Horse Show and established it as an allied show with the Dairy Cattle Congress. In recognition of his work in development of the Belgian horse breed, King Albert of Belgium knighted Estel in 1929 as "Chevalier de L'Orde de Leopold II."
William T. Evans graduated from East High School in 1889 and attended the State University of Iowa. While at the university, he owned and operated the Vidette Reporter newspaper. He graduated in 1896 and the next year, 1897, received his law degree from the same university.
He began his law practice in Parkersburg in 1897. In 1924 he joined the firm Evans and Van Eman. Coming to Waterloo in 1928, he practiced law here until his appointment as a judge of the Tenth Judicial District of Iowa in 1944. He was a state senator from Butler Co. from 1917 to 1921 and active in the Republican party since 1892.
Evans was born on a farm southeast of the Waterloo city limits. The town of Evansdale was named after him. The wearing of a bow tie became Evans' trademark.
Harry Fee attended East High School. He served as clerk in the meat market of A.J. Wittick for two years, then was employed at Waterloo Steam Laundry Co. until June, 1912 and at Everybodys Steam Laundry until December, 1912. He was associated with Tom Barket (horse dealer) for two years then acted as an independent horse dealer himself until 1925. In 1925 he became proprietor of a service station. He operated three service stations in Waterloo under the name Harry Fee Super Service. He also operated a farm in Black Hawk Co. His son, Robert, joined him in the service station business.
Fereday was founder and operator of Fereday Heating Company. He started the heating company at his home at 527 Cottage Street in approximately 1912. As the company grew, it was moved six years later to 200 Park Road. His son, Thomas, took over operations of the company in the late 1940s.
The school was founded in 1862 by two sisters, Anna and Elizabeth Field, as a place where young ladies could study English, Latin, mathematics, bookkeeping, spelling and penmanship. Boys were later allowed to enroll. The school was also called "Field's Seminary."
In 1862, the property at the corner of Park and Wellington was on the outskirts of Waterloo. The Fields purchased the site from Charles Mullan and built a 40-foot square, two-story brick building for their school. The sisters operated the school until their retirement in 1898. The Field sisters lived at 908 West Third Street in Waterloo until their deaths in 1912.
Herman came to Iowa with his parents in 1890. In 1901 he arrived in Waterloo and opened his photography studio. He operated the photography studio for 45 years, retiring in 1946. Many photographs of early Waterloo bear the legend "Flint" in the corner.
Foster enlisted in, and was made quarter-master sergeant of, the 49th Regiment of Iowa Volunteer Infantry on duty in Cuba during the Spanish-American War. He came to Waterloo about 1900 and with his brother-in-law, R.A. Ellis, established the plumbing firm of Ellis & Foster. Foster's wife was Netta I. McDonald. They were married March 1, 1900.
In 1869, Fowler went into partnership with his brother, Cortlandt Field Fowler, in the nursery business. They also handled vinegar and fresh and dried fruits from New York. He began his wholesale business with a carload of New York apples in 1870. The early C.F. Fowler & Company consisted entirely of the two brothers. George V. also invested in farm lands and remained actively engaged in farming throughout his wholesale grocery career.
Abraham Frank was the founder of Frank Brothers men's clothing store. He was also director of the Pioneer National Bank and, before that, Leavitt & Johnson National Bank. He came to Waterloo in 1866 from Cincinnati and that same year opened the men's clothing store in a two-story frame building erected by George W. Miller at 607 Commercial Street. Abraham retired in 1917, selling his interest in the store to Moses and Henry G. Frank.
Moses came to Waterloo in 1866 and joined his brother, Abraham, as an operator in the Frank Brothers men's clothing store.
The Waterloo Gasoline Engine Company grew out of John Froelich's 1892 invention of the first gasoline engine-powered tractor that could move backward and forward. The success of that idea led him to organize a company and open a factory in 1893. The original Waterloo Gasoline & Tractor Engine plant was located in Waterloo at Third and Cedar Streets. Froelich's company built stationary gasoline engines while experimenting with tractors. When his first tractor was built in 1896, only one was sold. That same year the firm made and sold six, two-cylinder automobiles.
In 1914, the Waterloo Gasoline Engine Company sold 118 tractors. Four years later, Deere & Company purchased the plant. The "Waterloo Boy" was produced until 1923, when Deere introduced its "Model D," one of the most popular tractors ever built.
Graduating from Monmouth College in Monmouth, Illinois, William Galloway came to Waterloo in 1901. He designed and manufactured the first Galloway tractor, the "Farmobile" and manufactured over 1,100 tractors during 1916 with $1.3 million worth shipped to Great Britain. When England defaulted on their bill, Galloway lost his business, but made a comeback in the seed business and in the manufacture of farm specialties, mainly oat hullers.
Galloway had a young John Miller build his house at 1115 West Fourth Street around 1901. He was known to many simply as "Big Bill." The first automobile in Waterloo that steered with a round wheel instead of a lever, was owned by Bill Galloway.
He worked as a salesman for Litchfield Manufacturing Company for two or three years. Bill and his uncle invented the harrow cart and established a farm implement manufacturing business on the corner of Commercial and Park Avenue known as the William Galloway Co., Inc., in 1906. Later, Galloway had a business located between Fourth and Fifth Street selling single cylinder Cadillacs (where the VFW hall is located in 1993).
Galloway was the driving force in the development of 12 city additions, including Cedarloo, Prospect Hills, Galloway Addition and Cedar Heights. In 1940 he platted and sold lots in Cedarloo and was also the mayor. William Galloway died in 1952.
Henry Grout was educated in Black Hawk County schools. He worked for the railroad and farmed the family farm until 1889. As a young man, Grout spent a year working in the mines at Leadville, Colorado. In 1889, he went on the road for a salesman and remained at this job for 12 years. During his years as a traveling salesman, he gathered many articles for his extensive collection. After retiring from sales, he went into real estate. He also served in the Iowa legislature from 1910 to 1918. The Henry W. Grout Historical Museum was dedicated in October of 1934. At that time it was located on the second floor of the Y.M.C.A. building.
S. J. Hall came to the United States around 1883 and to Waterloo soon after. He had a dry goods business for 11 years then, with others, formed the Waterloo Saddlery Company in 1895. The company manufactured harness, horse collars, and pads and was located on Sycamore Street. Hall married Sarah Derrick in 1887.
George W. Hanna was born November 20, 1817 in White County, Illinois and died on December 12, 1890 in Waterloo, Iowa. He married Mary Melrose in 1837 and in July, 1845 they entered Black Hawk County, Iowa.
Mary Melrose Hanna was born in Edwards Co., Ill. on June 9, 1821 and died November 6, 1912. She married Hanna in 1837. Their children were: John Quincy Adams Hanna, George Washington Hanna, Robert W. Hanna, Phil C. Hanna, Emily Hanna, Edith M. Hanna, and Mary Hanna. One son, James Monroe Hanna, died in infancy.
The Hannas purchased 120 acres at the highest point between Prairie Rapids and the falls of the Cedar River. They built a cabin and lived here for the next eight years.
The Hannas also purchased 65 acres of land on the west bank of the Cedar, at the point where the trail forded the river. Hanna did nothing with this smaller tract until 1852, when he built a log cabin. He rented the cabin out for the first year, then moved his family there in 1853. His neighbors at the river site included in-laws Charles and America Mullan. In 1846, "Squire" Hanna was elected Justice of the Peace, performing the first marriage ceremony of the county on February 27, 1851 (James Virden and Charlotte Pratt). Hanna opened the first store in a small log cabin on Commercial Street near Park Avenue.
The Hannas returned to this more remote homestead many years later. By then Waterloo had become a thriving town. George Hanna built a new frame house a short distance east of his original cabin. There, he and his wife spent the remainder of their lives together.
James M. Hanna, George and Mary 's son who died in infancy, was the first white person to die in Black Hawk Co. (October 18, 1845). The first white girl born in the county was Emily Hanna. Phil Hanna became Consul General of the United States at Venezuela, Puerto Rico, and Mexico.
John's father, William, was owner and editor of the Waterloo Courier . John worked in the Courier offices even during school years. The Courier became a daily newspaper in 1890 and John became editor upon his father's death in 1895. He was also president of the W.H. Hartman Company. In 1935, Hartman was designated "master editor-publisher" by the Iowa Press Association.
John was an advocate of wildlife conservation and, as a student of Iowa history, accumulated a mass of data on Indian tribes of Iowa. He was a life member of the Iowa State Historical Society and, in 1915, edited History of Black Hawk County and Its People .
Hildebrand came to Waterloo with his parents when he was five years old. He obtained a DDS degree from the State University of Iowa in 1890 and returned to Waterloo to join Dr. Ferris. He organized the Waterloo Dental Society in 1892. The dental hygienist laws was proposed by Dr. Hildebrand. He also authored the "Iowa plan" for the dental care of the state's school children.
Lell Holden attended West High School and Waterloo Business College (later called Gates Business College), graduating in 1915. He was made secretary-treasurer of the Bryant Paving Co., a position he held until 1932. In 1932, when Bryant Co. was purchased by Construction Machinery Co., Holden became secretary-treasurer of the new company. He purchased the company in 1936. (Construction Machinery Co. was formerly known as Waterloo Concrete Co.) His residence was at 601 Cedar Bend Street.
In 1871, 18 year old Clarence Hollister constructed the "Water Lily" fire engine which could throw a horizontal stream of water 100 feet in the air.
Lou Henry was born in Waterloo in 1875, the daughter of a bookkeeper at First National Bank. The family moved to Whittier, California in 1885 because of the mother's poor health.
Lou Henry started college at San Jose Normal School but transferred to Stanford University when she developed an interest in geology. It was there as a freshman that she met Herbert Hoover, who was then a senior. They were married in 1899, the year after her graduation.
Lou Henry Hoover played an active part in her husband's career as a mining engineer, humanitarian, secretary of commerce and president. She received eight honorary degrees in recognition of her many public activities during and after her husband's presidency (1929-1933).
She died in 1944, and is buried next to her husband on the grounds of the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library in West Branch, Iowa. A memorial plaque for Lou Henry Hoover is in storage at the Grout Museum until an appropriate setting can be found.
Mary Horner came to Waterloo with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Abraham Horner, when she was five years old. She entered the teaching profession at age 16. After studying by mail, she later attended the University of Iowa and the Iowa City Commercial College consecutively. She returned to Waterloo and established a department of commerce and stenography at Tobin College, later called Waterloo Normal College and still later Gates College of Business.
Horner was secretary and vice president of Gates and principal of the stenographic department. During the years 1895 and 1896, Horner, E.L. Corton, and W.E. Hauger operated the school while Almon Gates attended Upper Iowa University. Gates returned and took over management of the school. Horner was a member of the Business and Professional Women's Club and founder of the local branch of that organization.
J. M. Howrey first came to Iowa in the fall of 1851 after walking most of the way from Ohio (over 400 miles). He was 17 years old and, while in Waterloo, helped build the cabin which would become the city's first store.
In 1852, he purchased his Spring Creek homestead, four miles northeast of what would later become LaPorte City. He married Nancy Clark (daughter of John Clark) on April 17, 1856.
Ralph Hoxie was associated with the Waterloo Fruit & Commission Company since its organization in 1899. He was secretary-manager from 1913 and president from 1926. A subsidiary of the company was called Hoxie Fruit Company. In 1931, Hoxie led a campaign to raise funds for the construction of the Y.M.C.A. building at Fourth and Cedar Streets. (His father, Hiram Hoxie, was elected sheriff of Black Hawk County in 1888, serving four terms.) Ralph graduated from East High School in 1897.
The Jerald Sulky Company was founded in the 1890s by Samuel Jerald, an Osage wagon and carriage builder. (A sulky is a lightweight cart used in harness racing.) Jerald designed and built his first sulky at the request of a friend. The design quickly caught on around the country, and Jerald soon went into the sulky business full time. He moved to Waterloo in 1898 and set up a small factory on Webster Street. The company is presently (1993) located on Wagner Road.
Johnson came to Waterloo in 1859, working as a farm hand and clerking in a store. With C.A. Farwell, he operated the first grain elevator in the city. In 1864, he established the Johnson & Leavitt bank in Waverly (the first bank in Bremer Co.) which later became the First National Bank of Waverly.
In 1871, he became a member of the Leavitt, Johnson & Lusch bank in Waterloo. He also acted as cashier for the First National Bank for a year. Lusch sold out to his partners and the bank became Leavitt & Johnson. This continued until 1898 when Leavitt & Johnson National Bank was organized (later known as Pioneer National Bank.)
With John H. Leavitt, Johnson established the Leavitt & Johnson Trust Company, to deal with farm loans, in 1889. Johnson bought out Leavitt in 1898. Johnson was president for many years of three financial institutions: Leavitt & Johnson Trust Co., Waterloo Savings Bank, and the First National Bank of Waverly.
Edward Kistner graduated from the Western College of Embalming and finished his training at the Chicago College of Funeral Directing in 1900. The first Kistner Funeral Home in Waterloo was located at 517 Jefferson. The second Kistner Funeral Home was in the 300 block of West Third Street where the building still stands today (1993). Kistner had a residence and an embalming parlor nearby.
Clyde O. Lamson graduated from the pharmaceutical department of the State University of Iowa in 1894. He came to Waterloo and worked at the drug store of C.B. Henderson & Co. as a prescription clerk for two years. After this, he went to Hampton for one year and Anamosa for two years. Returning to Waterloo, he established a real estate office and became one of the foremost real estate men of the city.
In 1914 he opened the Russell-Lamson Hotel. He was also president of J.S. Kemp Manufacturing Company, one of the Westfield industrial district's largest manufacturing plants during the early 1900s. Lamson built the Russell-Lamson Office Building at the corner of Fourth and Commercial Streets. This was the first office building in the city with an elevator. Lamson's wife was Lillian Richards Russell. They were married April 28, 1897.
W. H. Langlas was secretary and treasurer of Altstadt Langlas Bakery. His wife was Thursnelda Zellhoefer.
Went into grocery business with J.J. Tufts (Tufts & Lichty). Lichty and friends also organized the L.F. Walker hose company drill team and drum corps (a volunteer fire dept.)
Lyman Litchfield founded the farm implement company in 1879 and moved it from Webster City to Waterloo in 1903 at the urging of William Galloway. Lyman's sons, Henry and Edgar, and a stepson, F.W. Boynton, ran the Waterloo business. The company grew and expanded its operations. The importance of the company to the Waterloo economy is demonstrated by the fact that the trolley car to this part of town was known as the "Litchfield."
Bad management in the 1920s caused the company to go out of business in 1927. The Schultz Company took over the factory and continued in business at this location for several years. Edgar Litchfield, president of the firm, was the builder of The Mandalay, an elaborate mansion that still stands at 1603 Mandalay Drive in Cedar Falls.