History of Butler and Bremer Counties,
Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Dick Barton.
C. H. Moehling submitted by Julie Waller
An agricultrual implement warehouse was opened
[in Tripoli] by C. H. Moehling, in November, 1880. C. H. Moehling was born in
Germany, August 29, 1849. In 1852 he came to America with his parents, who
settled in DuPage county, Illinois. There they remained until 1856, when they
came to Iowa, and settled in Jefferson township. In 1870, C. H. settled on a
farm in section 15, Dayton township, where he lived until 1880, when he opened
his agricultural implement store in Tripoli. Mr. Moehling held the office of
trustee of Dayton township, two years. In 1872 he was married to Sophia
Oldendorf. They have had three children - Herman, August and Ada.
John Moehling submitted by Julie Waller
John Moehling was born in Germany, October 13,
1830. When he was twenty-one years of age he came to America, and after spending
one year in Cook county, went to DuPage county, Illinois, where he lived three
years. In 1855 he came to Bremer county, Iowa, locating in Maxfield township,
where he entered 77 acres of land. He also entered 40 acres of timber in
Jefferson township. In 1869 he came to Fremont township and settled on section
10, where he now owns a farm of 338 acres. Mr. Moehling was the first justice of
the peace of Maxfield township and was afterwards clerk of that township. The
latter office he has also held in Fremont township. In September, 1855, he was
united in marriage to Miss Sophia Wehrmacher. Six children have been born to
them, three of whom are now living - Henry, Sophia and Annie.
W. J. Moody, a prominent physician of Bremer county, was born in Orleans county, New York, on the 4th of July, 1829. His father graduated at Dartmouth College in the class of 1822, and studied law with Judge Miller, father- in-law of William H. Seward. In 1833 he went to Detroit, Michigan, and was a member of the legislature when that territory was admitted as a State. He afterward moved to the town of Jackson, and during his residence there was judge of the circuit court. W. J. Moody entered the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor in 1852, graduating in the spring of 1854. In 1847 he entered the literary department of the University, but in his senior year was compelled to leave the college on account of ill health. Some time afterward, he went to Chicago and followed his profession for two years. However, at the end of that time he had a severe attack of hemorrhage of the lungs, and was obliged to give up his practice. Dr. Moody was in Chicago during the cholera epidemic of 1854- 55, and that winter became an orphan - his father and mother dying of that dreadful disease, on the same day. Upon leaving Chicago he formed a co-partnership with Dr. John A. Kennecott, president of the Illinois State Horticultural Society and editor of the Horticultural Department of the Prairie Farmer, and in January of the year 1862, came to Bremer county, Iowa, and began the practice of his profession; since that time he has resided here and has enjoyed an extended patronage. He was married, November 4, 1857, to Miss U. C. Williams, a native of Orleans county, New York. Six children have been born to them, five of whom are now living.