History of Butler and Bremer Counties,
Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Dick Barton.
Charles B. Parsons was a native of New York, and came to Waverly early in the decade between 1850 and 1860. He was a married man. He remained until the time of his death, which occurred a few years ago. Mr. Parsons was a good lawyer, an honorable man, and had a very lucrative practice. He was very popular and witty, and Judge Ruddick says he had one of the finest legal minds that he ever met with; a man of great discernment and preception, but he was much more in his place in the office than in the court room.
Nelson Prue was born in Lower Canada, near Montreal, July 15, 1820. He is the third son of Nicholas and Mary (Dizotel) Prue. At the age of sixteen, he went to Worcester, Massachusetts, where he engaged in farming twelve years, and then went to Rhode Island and spent seven years. In 1855, he came to Bremer county, and settled on section 19, Warren township, where he now owns ninety-two acres of land. When Mr. Prue first came to this county, he purchased 120 acres of land, and brought with him $600 worth of furniture. This furniture, with his comfortable dwelling, was completely destroyed by fire June 1, 1857. This misfortune to the new settler left him almost destitute, and he was compelled to dispose of a part of his land, in order to raise means for the erection of another house. In 1848, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Brickhell, who was born in England, and is a daughter of Rev. Samuel Brickhell, a Methodist divine. One son was born to them - Charles, now living in Kansas. This wife died in September, 1872, and Mr.Prue was again married January 5, 1874, to Miss Anna Royer, who is a native of France. They have been blessed with four children - Esther May, Jennie Dora, Ann Elizabeth and Wesley Xavier.