History of Butler and Bremer Counties,
Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Dick Barton.
John Rosencrans, born in Sussex county, New Jersey, January 1, 1809, is the fourth son of Simeon and Sarah (Shoemaker) Rosencrans. His father was a practicing physician in that county. Until 16 years of age, John attended the common schools. He then engaged in clerking and followed it for three years, then went to Vermont, and at the age of 21 engaged in mercantile pursuits at Burlington. He remained six years, when, in company with his brother Chadwick, he moved to Cleveland, Ohio, and was engaged in the dry goods trade three years. He then came to Troy, Walworth county, Wis., and engaged in trade, remaining a few years, when he moved to Beloit, Wisconsin, to educate his family. In 1865 he removed to Butler county, Iowa, but located only temporarily, and the following year he settled on section 34, Washington township. He was married in Dover, Ohio, in 1838, to Mary Johnson, who bore him seven children: Helen, now the wife of D. W. C. Duncan, of Charles City; Florana, now the wife of Frank Sterling, of Helena, Montana; Henry J., now engaged in stock raising in Texas; Lucia and Lucien, twins; Milo, now at Fort Benton, Montana, and Amelia, now the wife of Calvin Smalley, of Waverly. His wife died in 1848. In 1850 he married Mary M. Perkins, who died in 1854. In 1866, he married his present wife, then Mary Ann Stewart.
J. Q. A. RUSSELL, a native of Chautauqua county, New York, was born February 17, 1824. He was married in 1855, to Miss Emity J. Stroud, who was born in Geauga county, Ohio, in 1835. Seven children were born to them, six of whom are now living: George H., Hiram J., Sarah J., Arthur W., Walter J. and Laura A. In 1862, Mr. Russell removed from Ohio to Hardin county, Iowa, and in the spring of the following year located in Waterloo, thence, in the fall to Waverly, Bremer county, where he erected his present foundry building, and let us add, that it is the only one in the town. He was followed that business since 1855, first embarking in it at Bloomfield, Trumbull county, Ohio. Mr. Russell's father was one of the pioneers of Sheboygan county, Wisconsin.