Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Butler County >> 1883 Index

History of Butler and Bremer Counties, Iowa
Springfield: Union Publishing Company, 1883.

T


Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Dick Barton.

BARNES THOMPSON, one of the early settlers of Bremer county, was born in Chenango county, New York, in 1825.  Ten years after his birth the family moved westward, locating in Delaware county, Ohio, where he grew to manhood, and obtained an excellent common school education.  In 1855 Mr. Thompson removed to Illinois, and one year later came to Bremer county, Iowa, locating in Douglas township. The following year he settled in Polk township, where he has since resided.  October 19, 1852, he was married, choosing for a helpmeet, Miss Eveline Gardner, a native of New York State.  Eight children have been born to them, five of whom are now living - Florence A., Ernest C., Ozem G., Frank L., and Leon L.  Mr. Thompson and wife, are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  In politics Mr. Thompson is a republican.

Rev. Hale Townsend is the second son of Richard and Jeannett Townsend, both natives of New York State. He was born in Detroit, Michigan. He spent his early years in some half a dozen States of the Union. He graduated at Hobart Free College, Geneva, New York, in 1856, and at the Theological Seminary, of Virginia, three years later. He worked as a deacon in Bradford and Sullivan counties, Pennsylvania, and Columbia county, New York. He was ordained a Presbyter in Dubuque, May, 1862, and before coming to Waverly secured the building of churches in Worthington and Independence. He was afterward as assistant minister of the Bishop's Church, at Davenport, while teaching in Griswold College there. He then resumed missionary work, and has been engaged in building churches at Decorah, Emmettsburg, and Sheldon, in Northern Iowa. He is now in the East, seeking recovery from severe illness. He was married, September 1, 1870, to Miss Harriet Boardman Lane, daughter of the Rev. A. d. Lane, of Waterloo, New York.