>> 1910 Index
Topical History of
Cedar County, Iowa
edited by C. Ray Aurner. Chicago : S. J. Clarke, 1910. 2 v.
Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Dick Barton.
HAESEMEYER, occupying a prominent position in Cedar county, has for
some years been cashier of the Union Savings Bank at Stanwood and is regarded
as a prominent representative of financial interests. He has lived in Cedar county since 1892. As his name indicates,
he is of German lineage, his birth occurring in Hanover, Germany, July 10,
His father, Fred Haesemeyer, was
also a native of that country, where he spent his boyhood and youth. after arriving
at years of maturity he married Wilhelmine Busching, a native of Germany, and in 1892 the family came
to the new world, settling in Cedar county, Iowa. Mr. Haesemeyer was a farmer here,
spending his last years in this state, and died in 1899. His wife survived him for about a
decade and passed away in 1909. Their family numbered two sons and three daughters: Fred H., a business man of Stanwood,
who is the proprietor of a general store; Lena, the wife of Louis Meyer, a
farmer of Cedar county; Louisa, the wife of Henry Reinking,
who carries on general agricultural pursuits in this county; and Minnie, the
wife of Louis Goldsmith, also a farmer of this county.
C. Henry Haesemeyer spent the
first fourteen years of his life in his native country, pursued his education
there, receiving instruction in both German and French. He then came to the new
world and continued his education in the Stanwood high school, where, of
course, his instruction was in English. He was thus liberally trained and not only mastered the various branches
of learning taught in the public schools but also became familiar with the
three languages. He afterward took
a position as bookkeeper in a bank and later became one of the organizers of
the Union Savings Bank and subsequently was made cashier. He is one of the well
known business men of the county, and his reliable and tried business
integrity have constituted important factors in the conduct of the bank. His judgment is sound and his business
integrity has never been called into question.
Mr. Haesemeyer was married in
Stanwood in May, 1908, to Miss Minnie Lehrman, who
was born and reared here and is a daughter of H. J. Lehrman of Stanwood. They have one child,
Irene. In his political views Mr. Haesemeyer is a republican and the cause of education finds
in him a stalwart champion. He has served as secretary of the school board and
is now treasurer of the school district. He likewise fills the office of town clerk and has been officially
identified with the schools since attaining his majority. Both he and his wife are members of the
German Lutheran church, in the faith of which they were reared and to which
they have always been most loyal.
Mr. Haesemeyer came to Cedar county with his parents when a lad of but fourteen years,
completing his education in Stanwood high school, and thus well equipped
started out in life in connection with the banking business, to which he has
always devoted his energies. He
has made a close study of the business in all its phases, and his determination
and energy have enabled him to work his way upward, while his efforts have
constituted an important element in the success of the bank.
and real-estate circles have all felt the stimulus of Charles Heiner's
keen business sagacity, and a few men occupy a more prominent place
among the citizens of Lowden than he. One of Iowa's native sons, he
was born in Clinton county on the 18th of May, 1857, and has therefore
passed the half century mark on life's journey. His father, Henry Heiner,
was born in Germany but at an early date came to America, casting his
lot among the pioneer settlers of Clinton county. Throughout his active
life he was engaged in farming but now lives retired in Lowden, having
reached the ripe old age of eighty-seven years. His sketch appears on
another page of the volume.
Charles Heiner was
reared upon the farm, and amid the wholesome scenes and healthful environment
of country life he learned clean habits and the value of industry, energy
and integrity. He received his mental training in the common schools
and remained with his parents on the home farm until attaining his majority.
Then, taking up independently the occupation to which he had been reared,
he purchased a farm of three hundred and twenty-one acres in Clinton
and Cedar counties and there carried on agricultural pursuits for a
number of years. It was during this period that he first began to realize
the value of those early lessons which had been instilled into his mind
under the direction of his father and which bore rich fruit in later
years. His efforts in agricultural fields proved most successful, and
he continued his labors therein until twelve years ago, when, wishing
to enjoy the opportunities offered by city life, he left the farm and
took up his abode in Lowden. Two years later he became identified with
banking interests, assisting in the organization of the Lowden Savings
Bank, of which institution he has been president for the past three
years. As chief executive he is carefully managing the affairs of the
institution with whose interests his own are so closely identified,
and the policy which he maintains in the conduct of the bank's business
is one which has awakened the confidence and trust of the general public.
In connection with H. H. Petersen, the cashier of the Lowden Savings
Bank, he is also engaged in the real-estate business, their firm being
a well known and prominent one. They handle Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa
land, and their trade in this direction has reached extensive proportions.
Aside from his successful
and important business interests Mr. Heiner is the owner of three hundred
and twenty-one acres of valuable land in Clinton and Cedar counties,
and also possesses an interest in a quarter section of land in North
Dakota, which are sources of gratifying remuneration.
In 1883, in Cedar
county, the wedding of Mr. Heiner and Miss Mary Reinking was celebrated,
the bride being a native of Germany. Unto them have been born seven
children, all daughters, as follows: Anna, the wife of E. B. Miller;
and Martha, Elizabeth, Emma, Hattie, Elma and Meta. Interested, as all
American citizens should be in the political situation of the country,
Mr. Heiner has thoroughly informed himself concerning the questions
and issues of the day and gives stalwart support to the principles of
the republican party. The conduct of large business interests, however,
had made it impossible for him to enter deeply into political matters,
although all measures which touch upon the general welfare and the upbuilding
of the community find in him a stalwart advocate. His religious faith
is indicated by his membership in the Evangelical church, the teachings
of which he exemplifies daily in both business and private life. His
excellent business capacity and the success which has accompanied his
efforts in the various channels in which he has labored have won him
a foremost place among the most prominent and influential citizens of
Lowden. His great popularity with his fellowmen, however, has its foundation
not so much in the position to which he has attained in the business
world as in his kindly disposition, his genial manner and above all
the high principles which have ever governed his life. At all times
honorable in his dealings with others, his life has ever measured up
to the highest standard of manhood, and his is a splendid example of
the power and force of earnest effort, of high principle and of right
HENRY HEINER, an
honored citizen of Cedar county, who is now living retired after many
years devoted to agricultural pursuits, was born near Cassel, Germany,
on the 28th of November, 1823, and was reared and educated in his native
land, where prior to his emigration to America he served in the army
for a time. It was in 1851 that he crossed the broad Atlantic and landed
in Baltimore, Maryland, whence he made his way at once to St. Louis,
Missouri. There he secured employment as a teamster and was thus employed
for about a year. At the end of that time he removed to Red Bud, Illinois,
and there purchased a small tract of land, upon which a few improvements
had already been made, and to its further development and cultivation
he devoted his energies for about five years.
On selling that
place Mr. Heiner came to Iowa and purchased one hundred and thirty acres
of land in Clinton county, not far from Lowden. Upon the place were
a log house and log outbuildings, but as time passed he improved the
farm and continued to reside thereon for nine years. When the Northwestern
Railroad built their tracks through that section they secured the right
of way across his farm and he received orders to move his house, which
he did, and in 1861 erected a new frame residence. In 1866 he sold that
property, but prior to this time had purchased one hundred and fifty-two
acres adjoining it on the south, and after selling the former tract
in 1866 he bought forty acres adjoining the one hundred and fifty-two
on the west in Cedar county. Upon the latter tract was a log house,
in which he lived until the following fall, when a more modern and substantial
residence was erected, this being a stone structure, comfortable and
up-to-date in its appointments. There he made his home until his retirement
from farming twenty-eight years ago. He also erected a good substantial
barn and other outbuildings for the shelter of grain and stock and in
the cultivation of his land he met with most excellent success. In 1883,
however, he sold the property to his son and now lives retired in Lowden,
enjoying a sell earned rest.
In 1853 Mr. Heiner
was united in marriage to Mrs. Catherine Wensel, nee Weidling, and by
that union three children were born, namely: Henry, a Lutheran minister
now located in Lincoln, Nebraska; Charles, whose sketch appears on another
page of this volume; and Anna, who is now the wife of Rev. Peter Speidel,
of Buffalo, New York. The mother of these children passed away in 1896,
at the age of seventy-three years. Mr. Heiner affiliates with the republican
party and is an earnest and consistent member of the Evangelical church,
to which his estimable wife also belonged.
Hon. R. W. HINKHOUSE
About six miles south of the famous battle ground of Gettysburg, in the state of Maryland, the Hon. R. W. Hinkhouse was born August 17, 1850, but that section of the country did not long claim him, as in 1853 he was brought by his parents to Iowa, the family arriving at Davenport after six weeks en route. Soon afterward they removed to a place known as Limestone Farm, on section 14, Sugar Creek township, and it was there that R. W. Hinkhouse was reared to the age of twenty-one years, spending his youthful days in the usual manner of farm lads, save that the routine duties of the farm were varied by the work of burning lime, for the father had a large lime kiln upon the place.
His parents were Frederick and Hannah (Hunick) Hinkhouse, the former born in Hanover, Germany, in 1818, and the latter in Prussia in 1827. Mr. Hinkhouse landed at Baltimore, Maryland, in 1840, while his wife was only about nine years of age when she came with her parents to the new world. They were married in Pennsylvania and their last days were spent in Cedar county, Iowa. The death of the father occurred December 9, 1885, while his wife passed away December 5, 1908. He not only followed farming and stock-raising but was also successfully engaged in the manufacture of lime. He was likewise widely known as a breeder of shorthorn cattle and had an exceptionally fine herd. From time to time he made further investment in land and at his death owned about fourteen hundred acres, of which five hundred acres were comprised within the borders of the home place, which he operated. He was a Lutheran in his religious belief in early life but after coming to Iowa joined the Presbyterian church. In his political views he was a democrat and held various township offices for a number of years.
Unto him and his wife were born eleven children, namely: Mrs. Alice Hellyer, now living in Newton, Iowa; Francis, who was killed by a horse when eleven years of age; R. W., of this review; Mrs. Ellen Ridenour, who died in Iowa township; Caroline; Amelia, who died at the age of three years; Rev. J. F. Hinkhouse of Fairfield, Iowa, who is financial agent for Parsons College of that place; Mrs. Mary Whitmer, of Sioux City; Emma, who died at the age of twenty-three years; Simon, whose home is in San Antonio, Texas; and Aaron, who married and at his death left a widow.
Throughout the period of his youth R. W. Hinkhouse attended the country school and later became a student in the Normal School at Wilton under Professor J. B. Harris, one of the best known educators of that day. In the winter of 1870 he broke one of his legs and was thus unable to do any manual labor for some time. While going around on crutches he taught the first term of school conducted in the White Pigeon schoolhouse. When the injured member had healed he turned his attention to general agricultural pursuits, operating a rented farm, on which he did his own housekeeping for two years. He was the owner of a horse his father had given him while it was a colt and in addition he possessed ninety dollars in money that he had saved from his four months' salary at teaching. Thus equipped he began farming on his own account and continued to cultivate rented land, as previously stated, for two years.
In 1873, however, Mr. Hinkhouse went to Kansas, where he engaged in prospecting and farming for a few months and at the end of that time he resumed farming in Cedar county, settling in Farmington township, where he resided until 1900. For ten years he rented land and then purchased one hundred and sixty acres which he improved and developed. Year after year he carefully tilled the fields, rotating the crops and securing the latest improved machinery to facilitate his work. As time passed his labors met with substantial returns. In 1900,however, he sold his property and temporarily located upon a farm east of Rochester. In 1901 he traveled over the corn belt of the United States and became convinced that the best opportunities and the cheapest lands were to be secured in and around West Liberty. Accordingly he invested in five hundred and fifty-five and one-half acres known as the A. E. Kimberley farm, on section 29, Iowa township, and since that time he has added to his property as he has found advantageous opportunity until he now owns ten hundred and sixty acres of valuable land in one body. He also has a farm adjoining West Liberty on the north and comprising one hundred and sixty-eight acres of land. This is a valuable property worth two hundred and fifty dollars per acre. On his extensive tract of ten hundred and sixty acres he has four sets of good buildings which are far above the average. The land is devoted to the raising of grain and stock and the business there conducted is proving very profitable, so that Mr. Hinkhouse secures a gratifying income from his investment.
It has not been agricultural lines alone, however, that Mr. Hinkhouse has won success. He is recognized as a business man of marked enterprise and of an initiative spirit and because of these qualities he has assisted in organizing four different banks, including the Union Savings Bank of Wilton, Iowa, of which he was a director for a number of years, the Wilton Savings Bank, the Atalissa Savings Bank, of which he is now a director, and the Downey Savings Bank, of which he is now vice president. He is also a stockholder in the Iowa State Bank at West Liberty. He finds a ready solution for the intricate problems of finance and his sound judgment has constituted a valuable factor in the successful control of these different institutions. He is also one of the directors of the White Pigeon Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Wilton.
In his political views Mr. Hinkhouse has been a life-long democrat and in one of the three members of that party who have been chosen to represent the county in the state legislature. He served as a member of the twenty-sixth regular session of the general assembly and through the extra session called by Governor Drake. Previous to his election to the legislature he served as county supervisor for six years and during four years of that time was chairman of the board. It was during that period that the courthouse was remodeled and a new jail built and equipped with modern cages, also the Cedar Valley bridge was built across the Cedar river and many other important public improvements were made. Mr. Hinkhouse has always stood for progress and advancement, and his labors as a public official and as a private citizen have constituted an important element in the county's growth and upbuilding. His religious faith is indicated in the fact that he is a member of the Presbyterian church of Sugar Creek.
On the 23d of September, 1875, Mr. Hinkhouse was united in marriage to Miss Anna Smiley, who was born near Clearfield, Pennsylvania, and came to Cedar county with her parents in 1869. She is a daughter of William and Jane (Glasgow) Smiley, both of whom died in this state. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Hinkhouse were born seven children, namely: George V., who is conducting the home farm in Iowa township in connection with his brother Fred; Albert J., who is operating a farm in Iowa township; Verda, who is the wife of C. A. Mountain of Springdale township, and has three children, Mina, Bonita and Norwood; Myrtle, who is a graduate of Grinnell College, and is now attending a medical college in Philadelphia, taking a three years' preparatory course under the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions; Fred W., who is in partnership with his brother George; Clarence Glenn, who was born March 9, 1891, and died June 19, 1909; and Nellie D., who is at home.
Mr. Hinkhouse is residing temporarily in West Liberty in order to educate his youngest daughter. His has been an active and useful life in which he has won success and also the high regard of his fellowmen. He has lived in the county for fifty-seven years and throughout the entire period has commanded the confidence and good-will of all with whom he has been associated. His record in all his public as well as private relations has merited the trust and respect of his fellowmen and because of his prominence and what he has accomplished, he well deserves mention in this volume.
George V. Hinkhouse, now closely associated with farming interests in Iowa township, was born on the old home place in Farmington township, August 8, 1876. There he acquired his early education, afterward attending Highland Park College at Des Moines. At the close of his school work there he returned home and was associated with his father in business until he and his brother Fred took charge of the old home farm, which they have since cultivated. George Hinkhouse is also serving as treasurer of the school district and is well known as a stanch advocate of democratic principles.
Albert J. Hinkhouse was born in Farmington township in December, 1878, and has always resided in this county, making his home for nine years in Iowa township. He, too, has made farming his life work and now owns two hundred an sixty acres of land on sections 19 and 20. This is well improved, much of the work thereon being done by the present occupant. H is now building a barn forty by seventy feet with a concrete floor and basement, which will be one of the best barns in the county. The place is appropriately termed "Evergreen Farm," because of the large number of evergreen trees that surround his home. Here he carries on general agricultural pursuits and stock-rising and his business ability is manifest in his success. He received a diploma from the country schools at the age of sixteen years and afterward spent four winters in the Wilton schools. His political allegiance has always been given the democracy, but he has never sought nor desired office. He holds membership in the Presbyterian church of Wilton and his many excellent traits of character have won him high regard. In 1904 he married Evelyn L. Cole, who was born in Jasper county, Iowa, in 1881, a daughter of Francis and Sarah F. Cole. After the death of her husband Mrs. Cole married again and now resides in Cedar Rapids. Unto Mrs. and Mrs. Albert Hinkhouse have been born two children, Nevin R. and Hazel Marie.
Fred W. Hinkhouse was born in Farmington township, February 19, 1886, and has spent his entire life in this county, his attention being given to general agricultural pursuits. He is a graduate of the school of Springdale and also attended the American State Agricultural College. He is an enthusiast on the subject of progressive and scientific agriculture and has been most active in advocating progress along that line.
Myrtle J. Hinkhouse has made a creditable record as a teacher. She was born in Farmington township, November 26, 1883, is a graduate of Grinnell College of the class of 1908, having previously attended Wilton Academy, from which she was graduated. She has devoted two years to teaching in the country schools and her work in that direction has given excellent satisfaction.
The Hinkhouse family is a prominent one in this part of the state and their labors have been of material benefit to the county in the development and progress of its agricultural interests. The work instituted by Frederick Hinkhouse has been carried on by his son, R. W. Hinkhouse, and is now being further promoted by the latter's sons, who are all representative and valued business men of this portion of the state.