Topical History of
Cedar County, Iowa
Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Dick Barton.
B. Walton, carrying on general farming on section 36, Sugar Creek township, was
born July 18, 1877, in the township which is still his home. He is a
representative in the third generation of the oldest family in the county, his
grandfather having been the first white settler within its borders. The work
instituted by this worthy pioneer was continued by the father and is still being
carried on by his son whose name introduces this review.
his youthful days according to the course mapped out for him by his parents
Albert B. Watson attended the public schools and performed such part of the farm
work as his age and strength qualified him for. He continued to assist in the
cultivation of the old homestead property until his marriage and then began
farming on his own account of a part of his father's estate. He came to his
present home in 1903, having here the northwest quarter of section 36, Sugar
Creek township. It is a well improved property, his home being situated about
two miles northwest of Wilton. The place is altogether an attractive one,
equipped with modern conveniences and supplied with the latest improved
machinery whereby the farm work is greatly facilitated.
1900 Mr. Walton was united in marriage to Miss Mattie Evans, who was born in
Sugar Creek township, June 2, 1881, and is a daughter of John H. and Christiana
Evans, residents of the same township. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Walton has been
blessed with one child, Albert Volney. Both are well known in the community
where they reside and have a large circle of warm friends who entertain for them
a kindly regard. Recently Mr. Walton has built a fine residence of eight rooms
upon his place, and in 1908 he built a barn fifty-five by seventy feet with
sixteen foot posts, which was built of native lumber taken from his place and
sawed by a portable mill. In all that he does he is actuated by a spirit of
progress and thus keeps in touch with the trend of modern advancement in all of
on the list of Iowa's pioneers appears the name of David W. Walton, for he was
the first white settler in Cedar county, arriving here in the year 1835. He was
born in New Jersey in 1789 and was a son of William and Ursula (Compton) Walton,
natives of England. His youthful days were spent in New Jersey and in early
manhood he learned and followed the blacksmith's trade. Having arrived at years
of maturity he wedded Miss Mary Parker of Cross Keys, New Jersey, near Trenton,
and soon after their marriage they removed to Jackson county, Ohio, where Mr.
Walton engaged in the milling business. He remained in that county for a few
years, after which he took his family to Tippecanoe county, Indiana, where he
remained for several years. He was there residing when he heard of the fertility
of the Black Hawk Purchase and determined to ascertain the truth of the
statement by personal investigation. Accordingly in the summer of 1835,
accompanied by his son George, who was then nineteen years of age, he came to
Iowa to assist his son-in-law and daughter, John and Eliza Miller, in their
removal to what is now Muscatine county. Traveling over a considerable portion
of the state, Mr. Walton determined to locate in Cedar county and chose tract of
land near a small stream, to which he gave the name of Sugar creek because of
some sugar maples which he discovered upon its banks, two or three miles south
of the place that he had determined to make his home. He staked out two claims
on what is now the south half of section 15, township 79, range 2, and there
erected a log cabin which became the pioneer home of the family in a district
hitherto unoccupied by a white man. He at once began working the prairie that he
might plant crops and thus provide for his family. Continuing his explorations
in this part of the state, he named not only Sugar creek, but also Otter creek,
Mud, Crooked and Elkhorn creeks, Burr Oak and Coon Groves. For a time he worked
for Levi Thornton in a black-smith shop on what is now the Muscatine slough.
This was in 1835.
Walton remained in Iowa until late in the fall of that year, after which he
returned to Indiana to spent the winter. In the spring of 1836 he again came to
this state, accompanied by his wife, five sons and two daughters. They were
amply provided with all the necessaries for frontier life, including an
excellent breaking team of four yoke of strong and heavy cattle, together with
hogs, cows, horses, dogs and cats. They crossed the Mississippi river at
Rockingham on the 1st of May and soon arrived at the place which Mr. Walton had
selected as his future home. Then began his actual and permanent settlement on
the 10th of May, 1836, entitling him to the honor of being the first settler of
Cedar county, while to Mrs. Walton belongs the credit of cooking the first meal
ever prepared by a white woman in the county. During the season of 1836 the
father and sons put under cultivation one hundred acres of land. The ground,
which was broken in 1835, was planted in corn, also other ground was plowed
immediately after their arrival and sowed to spring wheat, so that to the
Waltons is due to credit of preparing the ground, planting, sowing and
harvesting the first crops grown in Cedar county.
Walton is an excellent specimen of the hardy western pioneer, outspoken in his
language but honest and straight forward in all his dealings. He therefore won
the esteem and confidence of all who knew him. He was an ardent Whig and was
elected by that party in the contest of 1841 to the office of probate judge. He
was frequently addressed by the title of colonel, to which he was entitled from
the fact that he was appointed to the command of a regiment in the territorial
militia in 1848 by Governor Dodge of the Wisconsin territory, of which Iowa then
formed a part.
Walton resided in Cedar county for a number of years and worked at his trade of
blacksmithing in connection with farming. In the winter of 1850 he took a trip
on the Mississippi to hunt and trap and on his return by boat became afflicted
with the dread disease cholera which was then prevalent and passed away just as
his boat anchored at Muscatine on the 1st of May, 1850. His boat and effects
were brought to his home and his grave was made in Sharon cemetery near the old
claim which he had secured fifteen years before. His wife survived him until
March, 1865, and was then laid to rest by his side.
none of his children are yet living in this county, some of his grand-children
are here found. His son, George Walton, sold his farm in Farmington township and
with his family went to live in Texas, where he died in 1895. Another son,
David, owned a large tract of land in Farmington township, which he sold in
1884, and then removed with his family to the vicinity of Miller, South Dakota,
where he passed away in February, 1908. William Walton, another son, went to
Montana and died in the Bitter Root valley several years ago. John Walton left
this county at an early day and died in New Orleans. Mrs. Mary Alkire, the
eldest daughter, came to Iowa a few years after the family had settled here and
took up her abode in Wayne county, where she passed away. Mrs. Eliza Miller,
another daughter, was an old settler of Muscatine county and after living there
for a number of years sold her farm and spent her remaining days in Union
county. Mrs. Catherine Miller, the third daughter, lived in Sugar Creek township
for a long period but spent her last years in Maquoketa, Iowa, her remains,
however, being interred in Sharon cemetery near her old home. James C. Walton,
the youngest of the family, lived continuously in Sugar Creek township for
seventy-two years and passed away June 22, 1908, at the age of seventy-eight
years. Such is the history of the oldest family of Cedar county.
name of Walton is inseparably associated with the history of Cedar county. James
C. Walton was a resident here for seventy-two years, a record scarcely
paralleled in this part of the state, and throughout the entire period his
upright and honorable life commended him to the confidence and good-will of all
who knew him. He was born in Jackson county, Ohio, April 27, 1830, and was the
youngest in the family of eight children of David W. Walton, of whom mention is
made elsewhere in this volume. He had a great-uncle who was one of the signers
of the Declaration of Independence. The father arrived in Sugar Creek township
and staked out two claims in 1835. In 1836 he brought his family and on the 10th
of May of that year they arrived at their destination, taking up their abode
upon a claim which their father had previously secured. James C. Walton was only
six years of age at the time. Later, as his strength permitted, he assisted more
and more largely in the work of the farm, at all times sharing with the family
in the hardships and trials incident to pioneer life, when long distances and
lack of rapid transportation cut one off from the comforts of the older and more
thickly settled east. For fifty-five years he lived upon the old farm and always
carried on general agricultural pursuits.
the 3d of June, 1858, Mr. Walton was united in marriage to Miss Caroline
Copeland, the wedding ceremony being performed in the Fleming House at Tipton,
Iowa, by William Long, justice of the peace. Mrs. Walton was born in Harrison
county, Ohio, September 25, 1840, and was a daughter of James and Christena
Copeland. She accompanied her parents to Muscatine county, Iowa, in 1854 and
there resided until her marriage. Her people were among the wealthy and
influential families of Harrison county, Ohio. Mr. Walton took his bride to the
homestead in Sugar Creek township, and they resided thereon throughout the
entire period of their married life, covering more than half a century. Unto
them were born seven children, six of whom reached adult age, while a little
daughter passed away when but four months old. One of their daughters, Carlie
Mabel, who was the life and light of the old home, was called to her final rest
June 16, 1905, at the age of thirty-one years. The other children are: Mrs.
Laura Hanna; J. Parker, of Sugar Creek township; Mrs. Addie Victoria Barclay,
the wife of Joseph Barclay; Vernon C. and Albert Bell, all of whom at the time
of the father's death resided in Sugar creek township near the old homestead
with the exception of Mrs. Barclay, who makes her home in Wilton.
his political views Mr. Walton was a lifelong republican with firm faith in the
principles of the party which he supported by his ballot. He and his wife held
membership in the Christian church and guided their lives by its teachings. This
worthy couple traveled life's journey happily together for more than half a
century and in 1908 celebrated their golden wedding. They had prospered as the
years passed and accumulated a considerable portion of this world's goods. Mrs.
Walton had carefully managed the household affairs, while her husband carried on
the work of the farm, and as the years passed by he invested in real estate,
becoming the owner of about nine hundred acres of land in Sugar Creek township.
He was never known to take advantage of another in any business transaction, was
never sued in all his life nor did he ever sue any one. He lived peaceably and
honorably with all men and his many sterling traits of character won him the
highest respect. On the 22d of June, 1908, just nineteen days after the
celebration of the golden wedding, he was called to his final rest. He had the
distinction at that time of being the oldest settler in the county, and he
related many interesting incidents concerning the events which marked the
county's history and development. He had not only been a witness of the county's
upbuilding but had also aided materially in its progress as opportunity offered.
He had seen the wild prairie converted into fine farms and had himself in his
younger days broken acre after acre of the prairie sod. He had also hunted and
killed all kinds of game, and he often told how in the early days on the present
site of the Methodist church in Wilton he dug out a nest of young wolves. He
never left Sugar Creek township but continued to reside there until his death,
when he was laid to rest in Sharon cemetery beside his father, mother and
daughter. Thus one by one the old pioneers have passed to the great beyond and
all that are left of the Walton family in Cedar county are the widow and five
children of James C. Walton, who live at or near the old home in Sugar Creek
life record of James P. Walton is a credit to the history of a family that has
long figured conspicuously and honorably in connection with the agricultural
development of Cedar county. He was born in Sugar Creek township on the 22nd of
June, 1861, and was second in a family of six children whose parents were James
C. and Caroline (Copeland) Walton. The father, now deceased, was a son of the
first white settler of the county. The mother is still living and makes her home
with her children.
associations of boyhood as well as of manhood have brought James P. Walton into
close connection with the interests of Sugar Creek township, for he has always
resided within its borders. Here he enjoyed the sports in which youths of the
period indulged, and in the public schools he acquired a knowledge that fitted
him for life's practical duties. He was also trained in the work of the home
farm and continued with his father until his marriage, when he started out in
life on his own account. In the second year after his marriage he came to his
present home, which is an excellent tract of land of two hundred and forty acres
on sections 24 and 25 - originally a part of his father's estate. It is known as
Elm Grove Farm, so named because of a grove of trees, mostly elm, that is near
the house. The home commands a fine view of the surrounding country and, looking
to the south, one is able to see for a distance of twenty miles. The place is
situated on the Iowa City and Davenport state road, which was the old stage
route. Here Mr. Walton carries on general farming and stock-raising, making a
specialty of Percheron horses, of which he has about thirty head, all of high
grade. He is also engaged quite extensively in raising hogs and his live-stock
interests are an important and profitable feature of his business. He has just
completed a beautiful fourteen-room modern dwelling, has good outbuildings upon
his place, and his well improved property is indicative of his progressive
spirit, for all of the buildings are new and have been erected by him.
1888 Mr. Walton was united in marriage to Miss Clara Port, who was born in Sugar
Creek township in 1868 and is a daughter of Theodore and Susannah (Doerr) Port.
They are an old Cedar county family, having come here in the '50s, and they now
reside in Wilton. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Walton have been born seven children:
Clarence P., Harry C., Vernon C., Franklin T., George D., William P. and James
E., who are all at home. In his business affairs Mr. Walton manifests a
determined spirit that brings success where a man of less resolute spirit would
fail. He watches carefully every detail of the business and as the years pass by
is making substantial and gratifying progress. In politics he is a republican
and has served as commissioner of his township for some years.
C. Walton is the owner of Far View Stock Farm, one of the valuable properties of
Cedar county, and is also a representative of the oldest family of this county.
He was born July 19, 1869, hear his present home in Sugar Creek township, a son
of James C. and Caroline (Copeland) Walton. He has continuously resided in the
same township and his entire life has been devoted to farming. In his youthful
days he attended the district schools of the neighborhood and through the
periods of vacation he aided in the work of the fields until his practical
training and wide experience well qualified him to take charge of a home of his
own. He is now the owner of three hundred and sixty acres of rich and valuable
land situated on sections 23 and 26, which constitutes a part of his father's
estate of nine hundred acres. The dwelling upon the place was erected by his
father, while the outbuildings have been built by the present owner. He carries
on general farming and stock-raising. The farm is appropriately named from the
fact that there is a fine view to be obtained from his home. One can see twenty
miles over the country on a clear day, looking south over a beautiful stretch of
prairie land with its well developed fields giving promise of abundant harvests.
Everything about Far View Stock Farm is kept in excellent condition. The
buildings are always in a state of good repair and all of the features of a
model farm of the twentieth century are here to be found.
the 19th of November, 1896, Mr. Walton was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth
Bell Jennings, who was born in Rochester township, Cedar county, May 9, 1877, a
daughter of James and Almira Jennings, of whom mention is made elsewhere in this
work. Mrs. Walton resided with her parents until her marriage, which has been
blessed with three children: Carrie Caroline, Elizabeth Fern and Lonnie Vernon.
parents are members of the Christian church of Lime City and Mr. Walton gives
his political support to the republican party, the principles of which he
earnestly advocates, believing that its platform contains the best elements of
Fred Emerson Waters, proprietor of the Edgewood Stock Farm and one of the most successful stock-breeders in is section of the state, his home being on section 29, Springdale township, has spent his entire life in Iowa, his birth occurring in Wapsie township, Muscatine county, Iowa, January 8, 1878.
He is the third from the youngest in a family of twelve children, his parents being Milton B. and Elizabeth (Hendrickson) Waters, who are also residents of Springdale township. He was only five years of age when the family came to Cedar county and he has resided near Downey ever since, his entire life being devoted to farming and stock-raising. His primary education was obtained in the district schools near his boyhood home and he was subsequently graduated from the Iowa City Commercial College on the 5th of June, 1896. He remained with his father until his marriage and then began farming on his own account, his first place being a tract of one hundred and twenty acres in Muscatine county, where he resided for five years. At the end of that time he sold out and removed to his present farm of three hundred and sixty acres on section 29, Springdale township, Cedar county, which is conveniently located only a half mile from Downey. This place was originally the A. B. Cornwall homestead and since he has taken possession he has made many improvements.
Since starting out in life for himself Mr. Waters has made a specialty of the breeding of stock, devoting his attention principally to Percheron horses and Chester White hogs, of which he has some of the finest in the country. At the head of his drove are Chickasaw Chief, New Hampton King and O. K. Repeater, and among his sows are Maud, the grand champion at the Illinois State Fair in 1908; Better Girl, the grand champion at the Nebraska State Fair in 1908; Lillian W., a prize winner at the Iowa State Fair of 1908; and New Hampton Queen, a prize winner at the Iowa Fair of 1908, besides other prize winners such as Marie No. 2, Orange Blossom, Iowa Bell, Brilliant Star and Mary. In fact, he has about one hundred and fifty head of registered hogs upon his farm. His horses have also become noted throughout the country. Brilliant D. standing at the head of his herd, is a three year old, weighing twenty-three hundred and sixty pounds, which won the grand championship in the three year old class both home bred and open class of Percherons of any age at the Iowa State Fair, the Nebraska, Wisconsin and Illinois State Fairs and also the International Stock Show at Chicago in 1908. Among his other fine horses is Morse, one of Besique's greatest sons, and he now has sixteen head of stallions upon his place. His father being interested in the stock business, Mr. Waters was practically born and reared in the same and there is probably no man in this part of the country who is more familiar with the business or is a better judge of stock than he. He started with an imported mare about thirteen years ago and his business has steadily grown until it has now reached extensive proportions and his stock is famed throughout Iowa and the surrounding states. At present he raises no crops, his whole farm being devoted to meadow and pasture land.
On the 25th of February, 1902, Mr. Waters was united in marriage to Miss Anna G. Rummells, a native of Johnson county, Iowa, born near Downey, and a daughter of Henry Rummells. They now have five children, namely: Irene Elizabeth, Verda Edmonia, Leslie E., Vesta E. and Ora E. Since the spring of 1909 the family have resided upon their present farm and they are people of prominence in the community, having a large circle of friends and acquaintances.
M. B. Waters is a well known resident of Springdale township, being the proprietor of the Greenwood Stock Farm on section 33. His early home was in Ohio, for he was born in Belmont county, that state, on the 10th of December, 1842, and is a son of William B. and Edmonia (Hogue) Waters. The former was born and reared in Baltimore, Maryland, and was the son of an Englishman who died when William was quite young, leaving two sons. At an early age the father of our subject learned the carpenterÕs trade and continued to follow that occupation throughout his active business life, his death occurring at the home of his youngest daughter in Bethany, West Virginia. His wife was a native of Belmont county, Ohio, and was residing there at the time of her death. Her parents were among the pioneers of that county, being from Loudoun county, Virginia. Our subject is the eldest in a family of seven children, the others being: Mrs. Sarah A. Gardner, now a resident of Moville, Iowa; Wilber E., who is engaged in the raising of fine stock in Brookings county, South Dakota; Mrs. Sina M. Yocum, of Omaha, Nebraska; Modora, who was a great singer, and died unmarried; Mrs. Adele Moore, of Bethany, West Virginia; and Eli H., who has engaged in the practice of medicine in Nebraska for many years, but is now developing an orange grove at Santa Ana, California.
In the state of his nativity M. B. Waters grew to manhood and, on starting out in life for himself worked by the month from the time he was eleven years of age until he entered the army during the Civil war, his home being at Lloydsville, Ohio. He responded to the first call for three yearsÕ men, in August, 1861, becoming a member of Company E, Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, which was assigned to the Army of the Tennessee. He remained in the service until November, 1864, participating in the battles of Shiloh, Stone River, Iuka and Chickamauga, besides many minor engagements. At Chickamauga he became ill with the typhoid fever and was in the field hospital at Nashville for some time but was afterward transferred to other hospitals in Indiana and Ohio. When convalescent he joined the Invalid Veteran Reserve Corps and afterward was on duty guarding prisoners most of the time. He was honorably discharged in November, 1864, and returned home.
On the 20th of February, 1864, Mr. Waters left his native state and started westward, arriving in Springdale, Iowa, on the 21st of the following March. He had brought with him four horses which he rode and led, receiving fifty cents per day for bringing them to Cedar county, as they belonged to another. During the first year of his residence here he engaged in farming upon rented land, receiving a fourth of the crops in payment for his services. After his marriage in December, 1865, he commenced framing upon a forty-acre tract, which his father-in-law had given him, and as time passed he steadily prospered and was able to add to his property until he had one hundred and seventy-six acres of land in Muscatine county. This he sold in 1884 and in the spring of 1885 came to Cedar county and purchased his present farm of three hundred acres in Springdale township. He has since extended the boundaries of his place and today has three hundred and forty-eight acres on sections 32 and 33, known as the Greenwod Stock Farm. He has always given considerable attention to the raising of fine stock, having for forty years raised Hambletonian horses and has also given considerable attention to Norman horses for a number of years. He raises double standard polled Hereford cattle and in the spring of 1910 sold eighty head of registered stock. He has bought thousands of bushels of corn but has never sold any until the last two years, as all of his crops have been fed to his stock. He is a progressive, energetic business man and is widely known throughout this section of the country as a most reliable farmer and stockraiser.
It was on the 26th of December, 1865, that Mr. Waters was united in marriage to Mrs. Elizabeth Williams, who was born on section 6, Wapsie township, Muscatine county, Iowa, December 5, 1844, her parents being Samuel and Esther (Tuvis) Hendrickson. Her father was a native of Holmes county, Ohio, while her mother was born in Michigan. It was in 1836 that Mr. Hendrickson came to Iowa and settled in Muscatine county, where he entered land and continued to reside thereon until two years prior to his death, owning and operating three hundred acres. He was three times married, the mother of Mrs. Waters being his first wife, by whom he had seven children, five of whom reached years of maturity. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Waters have been born ten children, five sons and five daughters, namely: Maggie, now the wife of Benhard Marticke of Goshen township, Muscatine county; Mrs. Mollie Smith, deceased; William S., who is engaged in the meat and stock business in West Liberty, Iowa; Ida, the wife of A. E. Barnes, a farmer living near Iowa City; Ella, the wife of Henry Mosier, a farmer living near West Liberty; Hallie O., of Iowa City; Fred E.; Sherman, a farmer of Hazleton, Iowa; Frank, also a farmer of Hazleton, Iowa; and Wilber W., a farmer of Springdale township. The children were all born in Muscatine county with the exception of the youngest, whose birth occurred on the present farm of our subject, and the four youngest daughters have all engaged in teaching school.
Mr. Waters is by birthright a member of the Society of Friends and is a man who commands the confidence and esteem of all with whom he is brought in contact, either in business or social life. Coming to this state in limited circumstances, the success that has come to him is but the just reward of his own untiring efforts and good management.
Wilber W. Waters, who is identified with general farming interests in Cedar county, owning a farm of one hundred and twelve and a half acres which is divided by the boundary line between Cedar and Muscatine counties, has through well directed energy and thrift made steady progress in his business and is meeting with substantial success. He is yet a young man and undoubtedly further advancement awaits him, for his strong characteristics are those which are indispensable elements in prosperity.
He was born in Springdale township, Cedar county, November 21, 1885, and is a son of M. B. Waters, one of the early residents of the township, of whom extended mention is made on another page of this work. His education was acquired in the district schools, supplemented by a term's study in the high school at west Liberty. As a young man he assisted his father in the development and improvement of the home farm and later rented that property, which he cultivated for three years. Carefully saving his earnings, he was then enabled to purchase a farm of his own, becoming owner of one hundred and twelve and a half acres, of which sixty acres is located on section 34, Springdale township, Cedar county, and the remainder in Muscatine county. His time is given to general farming and stock-raising. In addition to cultivating the cereals best adapted to soil and climate he makes a specialty of Chester White hogs and also is engaged quite largely in raising mules. Both branches of his business are bringing him substantial return.
On the 24th of December, 1906, Mr. Waters was married to Miss Emma Rummells, a daughter of Henry Rummells, of Johnson county, and they have one child, Marie. Theirs is a hospitable home - a favorite resort with their many friends. Mr. Waters votes with the republican party but has no time nor inclination for public office, preferring to concentrate his energies entirely upon his business affairs, which are growing in volume and importance and are bringing to him a well merited reward for his labor.
J. H. Wharton has spent almost his entire life in Cedar county and is today the owner of the old Wharton homestead in Inland township. He was born in Guernsey county, Ohio, on the 21st of July, 1857, and is a representative of an old and honored family, his grandfather, James Wharton, Sr., having been a soldier of the war of 1812. He was born August 28, 1792, and accompanied the family on their removal to this county, making his home with his son James until his death, which occurred on the 10th of November, 1862. He was a very religious man and was held in the highest esteem by all who knew him. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Ellen B. Quimby, was born August 14, 1796, and died in Ohio, December 21, 1860.
James Wharton, Jr., the father of our subject, was also a native of Guernsey county, Ohio, his birth occurring May 11, 1820. In the Buckeye state he was reared and educated and continued to make his home there until the '50s, when he came to Cedar county, Iowa, and purchased four hundred acres of land in Inland township, paying seven and a half dollars per acre. The place at that time was slightly improved and to its further development and cultivation he devoted his time and energies for many years. He continued to reside upon this farm until called to his final rest in 1895, at the age of seventy-two years. He was a lifelong member of the Methodist Episcopal church and took an active part in its work. For several years he served as township school treasurer and gave his support to all measures which he believed calculated to promote the moral or material welfare of his community. On the 5th of May, 1847, he married Miss Jane Ballou, who died on the 10th of November, 1862, and he was again married August 6, 1868, his second union being with Rachel Young, now deceased. The children by his first marriage were: John S., who was born February 9, 1849, and died in Milwaukee; Charles, who was born July 24, 1850, and died in Ohio, May 15, 1855; Mary Amanda, who was born November 12, 1854, and married Andrew Sleeth, of Cedar county, and is now deceased; and J. H., of this review. There was one child by the second union, Anna Bell, now the wife of J. E. Harris, of Inland township.
J. H. Wharton accompanied his parents on their removal to this state and in Cedar county he passed the days of his boyhood and youth in much the usual manner of farm lads. He always remained under the parental roof and came into possession of the old homestead upon the death of his father. He was married February 5, 1885, to Miss Clara Bell Parker, a native of Scott county, Iowa, and a daughter of Jackson and Elizabeth Parker. Her father is now deceased but her mother is still living at the age of eighty-nine years and makes her home with our subject. Mr. and Mrs. Wharton have five children, namely: John E., Andrew F. and James William, all at home; Carrie Bell, wife of Clyde Ayres; and Wave Elizabeth, at home.