History of Clinton County, Iowa
Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Dick Barton.
Clinton county's well known residents is James W. Anderson, of Brookfield
township, who was born on the farm which he now owns and lives,
April 14, 1862.
His ancestors on both sides of the family were Virginians
and among the highly esteemed people of that historic commonwealth.
James and Mary (Blaine) Anderson, the paternal grandparents
of the subject, lived and died in Virginia, but their son, George
H., the father of James W., came west when a young man and located
in Clinton county, Iowa, where he subsequently married Mary E. Dunlap,
whose parents, John Wallace and Agnes (Philips) Dunlap, moved to this
state some time in the fifties, and settled in the county of Clinton,
where they spent the remainder of their days.
George H. Anderson
was by occupation a farmer.
He also became quite a large land owner
and for a number of years was actively identified with the material
progress of Brookfield township, also with the public interests of
the same, having been elected from time to time to various local offices,
in all of which he demonstrated ability of a high order and a conscientious
regard for the public welfare.
After a useful life, largely
devoted to the good of his fellow men, he was called to his eternal
reward on the 3rd day of July, 1900, his wife departing this life
on January 27, 1894.
They were the parents of four children, three of
whom are living and highly esteemed in the several places where they reside.
The early education of James W. Anderson was obtained in the common schools of his native township, which he attended during the winter months from his tenth year until a youth in his teens. Reared a farmer, he took kindly to the cultivation of the soil, and from young manhood until his marriage he managed the homestead of his father. On March 22, 1899, he chose a wife and helpmate, in the person of Johanna Jepson, of Clinton county, and immediately thereafter rented the home place, which he continued to cultivate until his father's death, when he bought three hundred acres of the farm, on which he has since lived and prospered. In the year 1906 he erected the imposing modern dwelling which the family now occupy, and by a number of other improvements in keeping therewith has made one of the most beautiful and attractive homes in the township, and among the best in the county, everything on the premises bearing witness to the good taste and progressive spirit of the proprietor. In connection with agricultural pursuits, Mr. Anderson is engaged quite extensively in the stock business, from which source the greater part of his income derived. He breeds Percheron horses for the local and general market, and in the raising of fine Hereford cattle and Poland China hogs he has few equals and no superiors in Clinton county. Financially he has been successful beyond the average in his vocation and is now the possessor of an ample competence for himself and family. Socially he is kind, affable and obliging, and as a result he enjoys the confidence and esteem of a large circle of personal friends, besides taking an active part in public affairs and wielding a strong influence in behalf of whatever he deems for the best interests of his fellow citizens. In politics, he gives his support to the Democratic party. Since attaining his majority, he has kept in close touch with the leading questions and issues before the people, and his judgment and counsel have had much weight in shaping the policies of his party in the county of Clinton. He has held nearly every local position within the gift of the people, and during the past six years has discharged the duties of township clerk in an able and satisfactory manner, being the present incumbent of that office. Fraternally, he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in which he has passed all the chairs, and, though not identified with any religious body, is a regular attendant and liberal supporter of the local Methodist Episcopal church with which his wife holds membership. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson's beautiful home has been rendered additionally attractive by the presence of their two children, Verda E. and Wilma B., both interesting and intelligent and reflecting no little credit upon their fond parents.