Davis County, Iowa
Des Moines: Iowa Historical Company,
Unless noted, biographies submitted by Dick Barton.
GARRETT, J. M., M., D., physician and surgeon, Troy; the oldest physician now living in this locality, was born October 28, 1828, in Highland county, Ohio, where he was reared and educated, assisting his father on the farm. He entered the Salem Academy at the age of seventeen; and read medicine three years with his brother, J. P. Garret; attended lectures at Ohio Medical College, in 1849 and 1850. He was then called to take charge of his brother's practice, he being in poor health. He was married in September, 1854, to Miss Anna M. Wilson, a native of Ohio, and came to Iowa the following year, commencing practice at Troy, and meeting with good success. His wife died in August 1857; she was highly respected and a member of the M. E. Church. She left two children, Wilbur and Arthur, one, a teacher in this county, and the other a telegraph operator in Kansas. He married again September 15, 1859, Miss Jane A Paxton, a native of Virginia. They have six children: Elmer E., Mary F., John M., Lucy, Mattie M and Reece. The doctor ran for the legislature in 1863, on the republican ticket, against a democratic majority of 800, and was defeated by eight votes; but was elected in 1865, by 150 majority, and reelected in 1867. In 1872, he retired from practice on account of failing health, and lived on his farm till the spring of 1881, when he moved back to Troy and commenced practicing again. He has been victimized a number of times, once to the tune of $3,000, by a sharper. He has a very extensive practice - old school.
by Lois G. Cossel McMillin
C. K.; pages 741 & 742: farmer, section six. Post office West Grove:
was born August 22, 1842, in Fox River township, this county. His early
life was spent on the farm, with his parents, James and Margaret, and
attending the common school. In 1870 he moved to Scotland county, Mo.
where he resided two years, then returned to this county, and in October.
1873 came on his present farm, where he has since resided. He owns a
nice farm of 165 acres, in good cultivation. He was married January
17, 1864, to Miss S. F. Martin, daughter of John and Evaline of Roscoe
township. They have had five children: Edwin, Wallace, Hattie F. Nora
D., Cyrus Guy, and Frankie, deceased. Mr. and Mrs. G. are members of
the C. P. Church, of West Grove, and in politics Mr. G. is a green backer,
and is one of the substantial men of the county. James Gleason, deceased,
father of C. K., was born in 1823 in New York, where he resided till
he reached the age of manhood. He was married to Miss Margaret Downing.
They had eleven children: C. K., Mary E. Wallace, James, Roman, Fisher,
Friend, Elsie, Belle, Eddie, and Thomas. Mr. G. died in 1869.
deceased, was a native of Ireland, born in County Cork, February, 1817.
In his youth he assisted on his father's farm, and received a limited
education at the parochial schools of his native land. He was married,
February 8, 1849, to Miss Frances, youngest daughter of John and Mary
Battimer, of County Cork, and six weeks later took shipping at Queenstown
for America. Landing at new York, they went to Dayton, Ohio, where they
made their first home. From there they went to Wisconsin, and bought
a farm, on which they lived three and a half years, then went back to
Dayton, and seven years later, in 1859, came to this county, buying
a farm and being quite successful. October 12, 1878, Mr. Good passed
away, in the sixty-first year of his age, highly respected by every
one. He was a man of great energy, was a member of the Episcopal Church,
and died in the hope of a better world. He left a family of seven children:
Mary, wife of William Stack; James a., John R., Benjamin F., Miriam
A., wife of F. Bussell; G. W. and W. H., twins. The farm now consists
of 204 acres, of splendid land, besides twenty-five acres timber. Mrs.
G. manages the farm with the assistance of four of her sons. They live
on section 34.
, William H., deceased;
page 618: was born in Halifax, Virginia, February 23, 1798; where he grew to
manhood, then emigrated to Kentucky. In
1850, he came to this county settling in Wyacondah township, being one of the
pioneers of that township, where he lived till his disease; he was married July
29, 1860, to Mrs. Mary A. French, of Bloomfield, in Hamilton county, Ohio, and
they had two children, Edward E., now a young man of 18, in Bloomfield; and Eva
J., a young lady of 16, attending school.
Mrs. Good has a nice farm of 124 acres, well improved, with fine brick
residence, good barn, and one of the best orchards in the township.
She lives in Bloomfield, owning a neat cottage, with every comfort.
She has been a member of the Christian church since she was 17.
Mr. Good was a man upright in (his community.
was born in Perry county, Penn., July 10, 1828, and at ten years of age he went with his mother to Van Buren county, Iowa, near Birmingham, and
in 1866, he came to his present home in Davis county, which was then wild land. Mr. G. received a common school education. He was married
June 20, 1850, to Miss Nancy Wilfrong, by whom he had one child, Wm W. His wife having died February 20, 1852, he was married again October 4,
1856, to Miss Delilah Bivins of Jefferson county, by whom he has seven children: Nancy Alvira, David Fremont, Marion M., Madison M., Susan D.,
Washington Jefferson and Clinton Clay. He has 172 acres of good land, comfortable buildings and an orchard of 200 trees. He is engaged in
stock-raising. Mr. and Mrs. g. and their eldest daughter are members of the M. E. Church. In politics Mr. G. is a democrat; his postoffice is