Decatur County >> 1915 Index

History of Decatur County, Iowa
J. M. Howell and H. C. Smith, supervising eds. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915.

H


Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Dick Barton.

J. M. Hollinger, of Morgan township, is well and favorably known  throughout Decatur county.  For almost a quarter of a century he served  ably and conscientiously as county surveyor and he has for many years  been closely identified with the agricultural development of his  locality.  He is also entitled to honor and respect as a veteran of the  Civil war and in times of peace has manifested the same devotion to the  public good that led him to offer his services to his country in the  '60s.  

Mr. Hollinger was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, November 7, 1840, a  son of John and Sarah (Wollam) Hollinger.  The paternal great- grandfather, John Hollinger, was a native of Virginia and fought in the  Continental army during the Revolutionary war.  His son John was born in  Virginia on the 6th of September, 1777, and married Miss Hannah March,  who was also born in Virginia on the 11th of October, 1780.  For some  time they resided in western Pennsylvania but in 1801 they removed to  Ohio with their family, including their son John, who was born in  Pennsylvania on the 14th of June, 1814.  In young manhood he married  Miss Sarah Wollam, who was born in Ohio on the 8th of March, 1820.  They  continued to reside in Ohio until called by death, the father of our  subject dying on the 11th of March, 1894, and the mother on the 1st of  June, 1891.  The family is of German descent.  

J. M. Hollinger was reared under the parental roof and during his  boyhood an youth attended the common schools in Ohio.  Later he became a  student in Mount Union College, that state, where he remained for two  years.  In August, 1862, however, he put aside all personal  considerations and offered his services to his country, enlisting at  Bucyrus in Company C, One Hundred and First Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  He  was at the front with that command for three years and one month and  took part in many engagements, including that of Perrysville, Ohio,  October 8, 1862; Knob's Gap, December 24, 1862; and Stone river, which  began December 30th of that year and continued for several days.  On New  Year's day, 1863, while serving under General Rosecrans in the last  named battle, he received three wounds, one in the breast, one in the  left shoulder and one in the right foot.  This necessitated his being  sent to a hospital and he remained there until August, 1863, when he was  transferred to the Forty-third Company, Second Battalion, Veteran  Reserve Corps, where he remained as chief clerk at the Denison United  States General Hospital until mustered out at Camp Denison, near  Cincinnati, Ohio.  After the close of the war he entered the employ of  John Zumstein, of Cincinnati, a sutler, and in the capacity of chief  clerk went to Jefferson barracks, St. Louis, where he remained for three  years.  

After leaving St. Louis Mr. Hollinger went to Colorado and later to  California and on this trip saw a great deal of the western country.  In  May, 1868, he located in Decatur county, Iowa, purchasing forty acres of  land in Morgan township.  Later he bought an additional forty acres and  he has long been numbered among the successful farmers of that township.   With the help of his son he still operates the place, which is well  improved.  He has also given a good deal of time to public service as in  1889 he was elected county surveyor on the republican ticket and held  that office for twenty-three years, after which he refused to again  become a candidate.  He has also served for sixteen years as clerk of  Morgan township.  

On December 25, 1872, Mr. Hollinger married Miss Elzina J. Shields, a  daughter of Madison and Cynthia (Long) Shields, natives respectively of  Virginia and of Pennsylvania.  He was of Yankee stock and she of Dutch  descent.  They were married in Ohio and there she passed away when Mrs.  Hollinger was but six years of age.  Mr. Shields subsequently married  Miss Mary Jane Turner, of Gallia county, Ohio.  After farming in the  Buckeye state for a number of years he came to Iowa in 1865 and located  in Morgan township.  He became the owner of land in Missouri and  eventually removed to Mercer county, that state, where he died in the  spring of 1907.  Mr. and Mrs. Hollinger have three children.  C. M., who  was born August 9, 1874, married Miss May Craig and they reside in Grand  Island, Nebraska, where he is car and train inspector for the Union  Pacific shops.  They have three children, Francis, Velma and Hazel.   Buford, who was born October 17, 1875, is a farmer by occupation.  He  married Miss Mamie Duncan, of Lineville, Iowa, and they have eight  children, Willard, Siebert, Gerald, Hubert, Vinetta, Ralph, Juanita and  Alta.  Harold A., whose birth occurred January 20, 1883, is farming in  Morgan township.  He married Maude Orey and their children are four in  number, namely, Bernard, Miles, Elsie and Myrtle.  

Mr. Hollinger belongs to the Masonic blue lodge at Pleasanton and to the  Grand Army post of that town and is popular in both organizations.  He  and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, to the  support of which they contribute and in whose work they are deeply  interested.  No movement whose object is the general welfare lacks his  hearty cooperation and during the many years that he has resided in this  county he has gained the sincere respect of all who have come in contact  with him.  

Elder Leonard G. Holloway, of Lamoni, is an active and successful worker in the Reorganized church of Latter Day Saints and belongs to the Quorum of the Seventy. He was born in Harrison county, Missouri, November 20, 1876, and is a son of Jasper M. and Nancy J. (Bowen) Holloway, both of whom are residing in that county. The father was born there on the 3d of March, 1853, a son of George W. and Elvira (Hinton) Holloway, who removed to Missouri from Kentucky in 1852, settling on land near Newcastle, Harrison county. George W. Holloway died in 1863. His father was John Holloway, who resided near Boonesboro, Kentucky. Representatives of the family served in the Continental army in the Revolutionary war, and the ancestry has been traced back to England. Mrs. Elvira (Hinton) Holloway was a grand niece of Daniel Boone. the mother of our subject was born in Thorntown, Boone county, Indiana, December 15, 1852, and is a daughter of Uriah and Elizabeth (Moore) Bowen. Her father was born in Monongalia county, West Virginia, March 10, 1822, and died May 23, 1893, while her mother, who was a niece of Benjamin Franklin, was born in Kentucky on the 22d of July, 1830. The Bowens were Virginians but removed to Indiana in the early part of the nineteenth century. In 1852 Uriah S. Bowen went with his family to Harrison county, Missouri, and he spent the remainder of his life there. His widow is still living at the age of eighty-four years. Jasper M. Holloway was baptized in the church of Latter Day Saints on the 21st of April, 1883, and his wife was baptized the following year. They take an active part in the work of the church and are well known and highly esteemed in their community. He has followed agricultural pursuits and owns a large and well improved farm in Harrison county, Missouri. He has taken considerable interest in public affairs and has been called to office a number of times.

To him and his wife have been born six sons and two daughters, namely: Leonard G., of this review; Martha, the wife of Eugene Olmstead, of Harrison county, Missouri; Luella, who died in infancy; Orton H., a ranchman living near Akron, Colorado, who married Miss Estella Rubideau; John W., who is engaged in the garage business at Blythedale, Missouri, in company with his brother James A.; U. Scott, a farmer of Harrison county, Missouri, who has held a number of township offices, and who married Miss Ethel York; James A.; and Newton L., now living with his parents.

Leonard G. Holloway was reared in Harrison county, Missouri, and received a good education in his boyhood and youth. He also early became familiar with agricultural pursuits and engaged in farming until he was about twenty-two years of age. He then worked at the carpenter's trade for about six years, but for the past ten years he has devoted his time to the work of the ministry of the Reorganized Church of the Latter Day Saints. He belongs to the Quorum of the Seventy and has traveled over Washington, Oregon, Montana, Wyoming, North and South Dakota, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa and Missouri. His preaching is very effective and he has been instrumental in building up the churches where he has labored. For a number of years he has resided in Lamoni and in 1913 he erected a fine residence there.

On the 17th of March, 1907, Elder Holloway was united in marriage to Miss Blanche Henderson, of Seattle, Washington. She was born in Duluth, Minnesota, on the 6th of October, 1884, and is a daughter of John and Ada (Sperrin) Henderson, who removed to Seattle in 1900. Her father belongs to the Christian church and her mother to the Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints. Previous to her marriage Mrs. Holloway was an expert stenographer. Mr. and Mrs. Holloway have three children, Esther I., Erlene M. and Grace E.

Elder Holloway is a democrat in his political belief and keeps thoroughly informed on the issues that come before the public for settlement at the polls. He combines religious zeal with practical efficiency and his work has been productive of much good. He has many friends in Lamoni and those who know him best esteem him most highly, which is incontrovertible proof of his sterling worth.