and Biographical Album of Des Moines County, Iowa
Rev. Friedrich Daries, pastor of the German Evangelical St. Luke's Church, was born in Cape Girardeau, Mo., April 3, 1860, and is the son of Friedrich and Anna D. Daries, who were natives of Germany. His early life was spent attending the German private schools at Plum Hill, Ill., and when fifteen years of age he went to Elmhurst College, Illinois, taking a preparatory course of four years before commencing his theological studies. Entering the Theological College at Marthasville, Mo., Mr. Daries there pursued his studies for three years, and at the end of that time was called to his present pastorate, commencing his ministry here on Jan. 20, 1883. He was ordained on the 9th of March following, in St. Louis, by Rev. G. Mueller, and on the 29th of April was installed in St. Luke's by Rev. J. Zimmerman of Burlington, since which time he has remained with the church. His home is with his mother in this city, the other members of the family being John, Mary, Paulina, Martha and Christina. The parsonage in which they reside is a part of the church property, and is a fine, commodious two-story residence, valued at $2,000. The church is valued at $5,000. Though comparatively a young man, Mr. Daries has done much in church work. His labors are untiring, and, if spared, his life will be a great blessing to the church of which he is pastor. He is interested not only in the welfare of his own people, but is willing, nay anxious, to lead others to the knowledge of the truth, and has gained many warm friends throughout the community.
John Darling, deceased, was one of the best known citizens of Burlington for many years, with probably more friends and fewer enemies than any other man in the place. He was a native of Berwickshire, Scotland, born May 12, 1817, and came to this country with his parents when about seven years of age. The family settled in Middletown, Conn., where John resided for five years, going thence to Boston, Mass., where he remained five years, learning the drug business. Leaving Boston at the expiration of that time, he went to Covington, Ky., where he clerked in a drug-store for two years. He then removed across the river, clerking in a store in Cincinnati for a year, and there opened a drug store of his own. While in Cincinnati he was very successful in accumulating a share of this world's goods, and was soon able to erect a brick block and open a branch store, which was equally profitable. In 1842 he was united in marriage, at Cincinnati, with Miss C. A. Gillett, a native of Hartford County, Conn., and a daughter of Charles and Viola (Taylor) Gillett, also natives of that State. Her parents were both devoted members of the Congregational Church, and died in the faith at Westfield, Mass., to which place they had removed at an early day.
In 1857, on account of ill-health, Mr. Darling made a trip to Burlington, Iowa, and was so well pleased with what he considered the future prospects of that city, that in the fall of the same year he removed his family and business there, and continued to reside there until his death, which occurred June 25, 1885. On his arrival in Burlington he opened a store on the corner of Maple and South Eighth streets, which he stocked with drugs and groceries, and continued in business at that point until 1875, when he sold out to his nephew, William S. Darling, and J. W. Donahue, and ever afterward lived a retired life.
After disposing of his business Mr. Darling took quite an extensive tour through Europe, remaining abroad six months. On returning home he took life as easily as circumstances would permit, and enjoyed a fair state of health until the spring of 1881, when he took a severe cold, which settled upon his lungs, and developed into consumption, which was the ultimate cause of his death. Since early childhood he had been a devoted member of the Congregational Church, being one of its deacons until the last. He was a consistent Christian, believing with all his heart in the religion so beautifully illustrated by the Savior of men. The first night after his marriage the family alter was erected, and until called away, every night prayer and praise were offered up, and the loving kindness of our Heavenly Father remembered and acknowledged. The last afternoon of his stay upon earth a number of friends called to pay their respects, and he conversed with them freely and cheerfully. Death to him had no terrors, for he knew in whom he trusted. The day preceding his death, the hour for retiring having come, he had his household gathered around him, and, though his voice was weak, he fervently offered up his prayer to the Giver of all good. The next day he was too weak to rise, and just before sunset peacefully breathed his last, having during the afternoon conversed with his friends and bade them farewell, knowing that his last hour was near. His pastor, Rev. William Salter, his relatives and friends were present, and to all he had a word to say, and at the last moment quietly passed without a struggle into the higher life.
As may be inferred, the work of the Church and the good of his fellowmen was that in which he most delighted. The temperance cause, which, it may well be said, is one phase of Christian work, was dear to his heart, and much of his time and means were given to rescuing the fallen and trying to save others from falling. Threats of saloonkeepers and their allies did not deter him from pushing on in the work. With David Leonard, and others of that noble band of temperance workers, he did not hesitate to openly express his views, and advocate them as the opportunity was afforded him. Mr. Darling, at the time of his death, was in good circumstances as to worldly goods, owning a large quantity of real estate in different sections of Burlington, together with considerable personal property.
Mrs. Darling is yet a resident of Burlington, and like her noble husband, her life has been devoted to good works. A member of the Congregational Church, of Burlington, she has ever been true to her profession, and for the advancement of the cause of her Master has contributed liberally, and devoted much of her time. The temperance work, so zealously prosecuted by her husband, finds in her a true friend and advocate, and although at times in feeble health, and never very robust, she yet works with all the enthusiasm of one much younger in years. That she may long be spared to continue her good works is the earnest prayer of the many friends who know and love her, and when the time comes for her to cross the dark river, she will be comforted, not alone by her trust in "Him who doeth all things well," but by the thought of soon rejoining the loved husband who is awaiting her on the other shore.
A portrait of John Darling appears upon a preceding page, and all will agree that the face of a better man is not shown in this volume.
Davis, residing on
section 19, Burlington Township, Des Moines Co., Iowa, was born in Belmont
County, Ohio, Oct. 4, 1805, and is a son of Elijah and Hannah (Shulk) Davis,
both of whom were natives of New Jersey. They were the parents of seven
children: Lewis, Daniel and Michael, all deceased; Elijah, a resident of
Virginia; Tyler W.; Phoebe, widow of John Graham, resides in the State of
Missouri. The father of these children moved to Ohio at a very early day,
and about the year 1818 removed to Tyler County, Va., where he remained until
his death, which occurred about 1828, at the age of sixty-five. His wife
survived him until 1843, her death occurring at the age of eighty-five.
The early life of our
subject was spent upon the farm and in attending the subscription schools.
He was united in marriage, Oct. 29, 1828, with Susan Steenrod. She was a
native of Virginia, though reared in Ohio. They have been the parents of
ten children: Caroline, wife of George Merriman, resides in Pittsburgh,
Pa.; Charlotte, deceased; Clorinda, wife of Isaac Herrill, a farmer in
Burlington Township; Charles, supposed to be in California; Ephraim, who died in
the service, was a member of the 25th Iowa Infantry; Edward was also a member of
the 25th Iowa Infantry; George, residing in California; John, who has charge of
the home farm, wedded Edith Ashmore, a native of Des Moines County, and daughter
of George and Margaret (Sheldon) Ashmore, who were early settlers in Des Moines
County. Two children have been born to them--Katie and Harry.
Mr. Davis emigrated to Iowa
in 1843, settling in Des Moines County, where he purchased 200 acres of land on
section 19, Burlington Township, and this has continued to be his home ever
since. Mr. and Mrs. Davis have passed sixty years of wedded life, and are
among the most highly-respected people of Des Moines County; both are members of
the Baptist Church. Politically, he is a Democrat.
Charles A. Davis, deceased, who was one of Burlington's most worthy and respected citizens, was born in Frankfort, Waldo Co., Me., Dec. 23, 1826, and was a son of Abel and Betsy (McGlathry) Davis, both of whom were natives of Maine, the mother being of Irish descent. The family remained upon the farm near Frankfort until 1847, and there our subject grew to manhood, receiving his education in the district schools. In that year they removed to Sheboygan County, Wis., where the father purchased land, and there the parents lived and died. Abel Davis was a public-spirited man, taking an active interest in all enterprises for the good of the people. His death occurred at the age of eighty-six, his wife, who was a consistent Christian lady, dying at the age of eighty-two.
Our subject learned the carpenter's trade in Sheboygan County, Wis., at which he worked until 1875. He was in the employ of the Government during 1862, and was engaged is erecting hospitals at Memphis, Tenn. He was taken sick and returned home, but immediately after his recovery enlisted in October, 1863, in Company K, 1st Wisconsin Heavy Artillery. He bravely fought in defense of the Stars and Stripes that now float so proudly over our Nation, until the close of the war, passing through many thrilling scenes and enduring no little hardship.
Mr. Davis was united in marriage, at Hingham, Wis., with Mary J. Tibbitts, July 4, 1850. She was a native of Frankfort, Me., and a daughter of Benjamin and Sarah (Clark) Tibbitts, both of whom were also natives of that State, but moved to Sheboygan County in 1844. Her father's occupation was that of a farmer, and he was the father of ten children, one of whom died in infancy: Lemuel, who served three years in the late war; Waldo, Arthur and Horace were members of the 1st Wisconsin Infantry, the former being wounded in the battle of Stone River, was taken to Nashville, Tenn., where he died and was buried in the National Cemetery at that place; Amos resides upon the old homestead in Sheboygan County, Wis.; Horace is a resident of that county; Arthur lives in Galesville, Wis.; Hilliard died at the age of forty, of consumption; and Elizabeth A., wife of Wilson Morrill, a farmer of Frontier County, Neb.
Charles A. Davis and his young wife resided in Sheboygan County until 1867, when he decided to cast his lot in the Far West, and consequently removed to Clarinda, Page Co., Iowa, where he purchased land and developed a farm, making a beautiful home. Wishing to educate their children, Mr. and Mrs. Davis removed to Red Oak, Iowa, in 1871, residing there for four years, and in 1875 became residents of Burlington. He engaged in the fuel business in company with a Mr. Johnson, which partnership lasted about a year, when it was dissolved, and the Burlington Fuel Company was organized, and Mr. Davis was elected President, holding that position until his death, which occurred Aug. 9, 1985. This position has since been carried on by his son. Mr. Davis was one of Burlington's best known business men, a peaceful citizen, an earnest upholder of the elements of law order, and an ardent supporter of the Republican party, which he ever stood ready to defend. He was honest and true in all things, a kind father and loving husband, and many a poor family have been made happy over the unpretending, but nevertheless bountiful, gifts received from his hand. He was unwavering in his support of the temperance principles, and socially belonged to the G. A. R., A. O. U. W. and V. A. S. The loving wife, who shared his joys and sorrows for over thirty years, and two children were left to mourn their loss. His son, Mr. A. E. Davis, is the present Secretary of the Burlington Fuel Company. On the 17th of December, 1884, he married Miss Hannah Stockbarger, of Cuba, Ill., by whom he has two children. Loie Davis was united in marriage at Burlington, June 19, 1883, with Mr. William M. Ege, who is a highly-respected citizen and the present Secretary of the Y. M. C. A.
James Davis, now a resident of Kossuth, Iowa, was born in County Donegal, Ireland, within fifteen miles of Londonderry, in 1816, and is a son of Frederick S. and Mary (McClelland) Davis. He was reared upon a farm in his native land until 1841, when, with his parents and one sister, he emigrated to America, residing in St. Johns, New Brunswick, for one year. Later he went to Greenfield, Highland Co., Ohio, where he began working as an apprentice in a woolen factory, continuing in that employment for nine years, when he, in connection with a Mr. Moore, erected a woolen mill of their own in that city. He there engaged in the manufacture of woolen goods until 1861, when he sold out to Charles Robinson. Their mill was operated by steam-power, and they had quite an extensive trade throughout the surrounding country. Mr. Davis also engaged in buying wood for a Cincinnati firm, and at the same time was proprietor of a small merchandise store. Selling out his business in 1861, he emigrated to Iowa, taking up his residence in Louisa County, near Northfield, in Des Moines County, where he purchased a farm of 120 acres, afterward adding another forty acres, making 160 in all. This land was but partially improved, but upon it the family moved, and quite extensive improvements were made, among others the planting of a large orchard. The family resided upon that farm for sixteen years, and then, Mr. Davis desiring to live a retired life, they removed to the village of Kossuth, in Des Moines County, where better educational and religious privileges were afforded his children.
The marriage of James Davis occurred in Pittsburgh, Pa., Nov. 14, 1844, Miss Catherine Gailey becoming his wife. She was also a native of County Donegal, Ireland, born in the town of Letterkenny, and is a daughter of David and Margaret (Scott) Gailey, who were also natives of the same county. The father was a freeholder in his native land. Mrs. Davis came to America in 1843, settling in Philadelphia, Pa., where she engaged for a year as a nurse, and then went to Pittsburgh, in which city she was married.
Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Davis, as follows: Samuel Stewart, who died in childhood; David Gailey, who departed this life Feb. 14, 1872, aged twenty-four years; Margaret J., died in 1862; Amanda, died July 28, 1852; Sarah M., born Aug. 28, 1852, died when five years of age; Catherine Elizabeth (1st), born Feb. 1, 1855, and died Jan. 14, 1857; Catherine Elizabeth (2nd), born Dec. 14, 1856, and died in 1874; Sarah Matilda, born Oct. 28, 1858, is the wife of Jacob Baxter, a farmer of Hayes County, Neb.; Anna Mary, born June 16, 1862, is the wife of Beauregard Baxter, also a resident of Nebraska. Since their childhood days Mr. and Mrs. Davis have been devoted members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Davis takes an active interest in all public affairs, is ever ready to aid in the advancement of any enterprise for the good of the community, and is an earnest advocate of educational institutions. In early life he was a Whig but later became a Republican, and is strong in support of Prohibition laws.
Davis, a resident of
Mediapolis, Des Moines County, Iowa, was born in County Donegal, Ireland, June
8, 1822, and is a son of Frederick and Mary (McClelland) Davis, both of whom
were also natives of the same county. Frederick Davis was a landlord in his
native country, and at one time was very wealthy. He emigrated to America
in 1841, settling in Highland County, Ohio, there making his home with his son
James, until his death, which occurred in 1851, at the age of seventy-four
years. His wife died in 1844, at the age of seventy-three. They were
both devoted members of the Episcopal Church and reared a family of ten
children, nine of whom reached maturity: Catherine died at the age of
thirty, unmarried; Jane became the wife of Robert Moore, and they are now living
with our subject, aged respectively eighty-three and eighty-six; Mary is the
wife of a Mr. Brown, who is in the employ of the English government; Fannie, who
married Samuel McBride, died in Boston, Mass., and her husband in this county;
Stewart, who was one of the old citizens of this county, died in 1886, aged
seventy-five years; James is a resident of Kossuth, Iowa; Margaret A. wedded
William F. Robinson, of Yellow Spring Township; Armizenda, widow of Josiah
Edwards, Of Ohio; and our subject, who was the youngest member of the family.
Thomas Davis was reared upon a farm, and at the age of eighteen left his native
land and went to St. Johns, New Brunswick, where for a year he was employed as a
butler. In 1841 he went to Greenfield, Ohio, where he engaged in the
manufacture of woolen goods, and later was in a wool-dyeing factory. He
continued to reside in that city ten years, during which time, in 1846, he was
united in marriage with Cornelia Merrill, a native of Ohio, daughter of Joshua
Merrill and sister of Bishop Merrill, of Chicago. In 1850 Mr. Davis made
an overland trip to California, six months being consumed in making the journey,
on which eleven men were lost. Returning by water in the fall of 1851, by
the way of the Isthmus of Panama and New York, he went to Ohio and there spent
the winter working in a factory, coming in the spring of 1852 to Des Moines
County, and here operating a woolen-mill under the firm name of Davis &
Robinson. The mill was situated near Northfield, and was conducted by
these two gentlemen for over seventeen years, when Mr. Davis sold his interest
and purchased 160 acres of land on section 15, Huron Township. Wishing to
live a retired life, in the spring of 1888 Mr. Davis with his family removed to
Mediapolis, though he still owns his farm of 173 acres, situated in Louisa
Mr. and Mrs. Davis have been
the parents of ten children, four of whom are now living: Margaret A.,
wife of J. B. Downer, of Muscatine County, Iowa; William F., who died in
infancy; Mary J., wife of Thomas Giles, of Davenport, Iowa; Samuel Stewart died
at the age of four, and Eliza Ellen at the age of five years; Martha A. died in
childhood; James Wesley died Aug. 28, 1887, aged twenty-six years; John S. died
in childhood; Henry Wilbur and Hattie are residing with their parents.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Davis have been members of the Presbyterian Church for many
years and take great interest in all Church work. Mr. Davis is a
Republican in politics, and greatly in favor of the enforcement of the
prohibition laws. He is a public-spirited man, ever ready to assist in the
advancement of public enterprises, and has held the office of Township Trustee.
He takes an active interest in all educational matters, and is one of the
highly-respected citizens of the township.
William H. Davis, Eclectic physician of Burlington, Iowa, was born in Livngston County, N. Y., March 26, 1824, and is a son of Dr. Abner Davis, who was born in Washington County, N. Y., in November, 1795. His mother was Sarah (Howell) Davis, who was born in 1794. He grew to manhood in Livingston County, and there received a liberal education in the Academy. His father being a physician, he had access to the library, and commenced reading while very young. He subsequently attended the Eclectic Medical College at Cincinnati, Ohio, from which institution he graduated in the class of '47. He immediately commenced the practice of his profession in his native county, and in 1852 came to Burlington, Iowa, where he has since been in constant practice. Dr. Davis is among the oldest physicians of the city, there being but two who have been in practice longer than he. He is a man who is well posted in his profession, and also in the affairs of the county and State. In early life he was a Whig, and affiliated with that party until the organization of the Republican party, when he joined the same, and has since cast his lot with that body. He has a choice library, which is well read.
Warren Dee, deceased, was born in Georgia, Franklin Co., Vt., in March, 1805, and was a son of Washington and Lucy (Cooley) Dee. He was one of the earliest pioneers of Des Moines County, coming to Burlington in the fall of 1838, and purchasing land situated on the Agency road, between Augusta and Middletown, at the first land sale nine miles west of Burlington. This tract consisted of 160 acres of prairie land and a number of acres of timber land, and by the untiring labor and care of Mr. Dee was transformed into one of the finest farms in the county. Previous to his arrival in Des Moines County Mr. Dee was united in marriage, in 1831, with Eliza M. Blakeley, a native of Georgia, Franklin Co., Vt. The young couple began their domestic life in that county, but, after residing in that locality for seven years, decided to come to Iowa. On reaching Cincinnati, Ohio, they found the water was so high that it would be unsafe to undertake the trip, so, leaving his wife in that city, Mr. Dee proceeded to Iowa on horseback in company with Charles Starr, purchased the land as before stated, and then returned for his wife, they making their home on this farm until 1851. While her husband was busy with his farm work Mrs. Dee did not remain idle, but took charge of the dairy, and having a thorough knowledge of the art of making butter and cheese, she manufactured these articles, finding always a ready sale. The untiring zeal and unceasing labors of Mr. and Mrs. Dee have won for them a comfortable property.
In 1851, on account of failing health, caused by overwork, Mr. Dee decided to move to Burlington, and selling the old home farm, took up his residence in that city, entering into the real-estate business. A sound mind and careful thought made him a good business man, and he acquired the confidence of all with whom he was brought into contact. He and his wife were both members of the Division Street Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Dee was one of the Trustees of that body, never neglecting any official meeting of the Church Board, and always gave freely of his time and money to aid in the church work. Largely through his influence and that of Mrs.. Sweeney was the magnificent pipe-organ purchased. Socially, Mr. Dee was a member of the A. F. & A. M., and the I. O. O. F. lodges. On the 3d of April, 1880, the final summons came which called the old pioneer to his rest; life's battle was ended, the victory won, the body returned to dust, and the soul to its Maker. The death of this old pioneer was not only a deep grief to the loving wife, but many were the friends and acquaintances who sincerely mourned his loss.
Mrs. Dee still makes her home in Burlington, having been a resident of Des Moines County for half a century. She has always been a great student, storing her mind with most useful knowledge, and is a most companionable lady. She is now, in the evening of her days, reaping the rewards of a life of industry and thrift she had passed by the side of her noble husband, to whom she was truly a helpmate, and is calmly awaiting the summons which shall reunite them on the other shore.
Deets, one of the
well-to-do and representative farmers of Yellow Spring Township, Des Moines Co.,
Iowa, residing on section 27, was born in Luzerne County, Pa., in 1826, and is a
son of Peter and Phoebe (Blanchard) Deets, the father a native of Northampton,
and the mother of Luzerne County, in that State. When twenty-one years of
age, our subject began to learn the carpenter's trade, serving an apprenticeship
of five years, and for six years thereafter was captain of a canal-boat on the
Susquehanna Canal. In 1851 Mr. Deets was united in marriage with Lydia
Gearinger, who was also a native of Luzerne County. Six years later, the
young couple emigrated to Iowa, settling near Dodgeville, Des Moines County,
where a farm was rented for seven years, at the expiration of which time, they
removed to section 27, Yellow Spring Township, same county, where Mr. Deets
purchased 120 acres of land. Up to the present time that farm had been his
home, and now consists of 190 acres of fine land, which is all highly
Mr. and Mrs. Deets are the
parents of four children, as follows: Phoebe A., wife of Harper Heizer, of
Yellow Spring Township; Peter W. and Charles W., residents of Barton County,
Kan.; and Smith Henry, engaged in farming in Franklin Township, Des Moines Co.,
Iowa. Mrs. Lydia Deets died Nov. 12, 1862, and in 1863 Mr. Deets formed a
second union, his wife being Elizabeth Kline, a native of Pennsylvania, and a
daughter of Jacob Kline of Franklin Township, Des Moines County, of whom a
history is given elsewhere in this volume. Four children have been born to
them--Walter J., Judson F., Mary B. and Libbie Belle, all still under the
parental roof. Mr. and Mrs. Deets are both members of the Presbyterian
Church, in which they are active workers. In politics, Mr. Deets is a
Republican, and strongly favors the enforcement of the prohibitory laws, and he
has held various township offices.
Commencing life without
financial assistance, by energy, economy and good management, he has overcome
all obstacles, surmounted all difficulties, and now has a comfortable competence
for old age.
Mathias J. Delashmutt, a farmer residing on section 34, Flint River Township,, is numbered among the representative farmers and pioneers of Des Moines County of 1835. He was born May 2, 1827, and is a son of Elias N. and Susan (Gorrel) Delashmutt, the former a native of Maryland, the latter of Virginia. After marriage they removed to Ohio, and in 1834 started from Sistersville, W. Va., down the Ohio River on the trip to Iowa, but on reaching Warsaw, Ill., the boat could go no farther on account of the ice, so the father came to his brother-in-law's in Des Moines County, borrowed a yoke of oxen, and then returned for his family, landing in this county in 1835, where they took possession of a log cabin in Union Township and entered a claim of 240 acres of land in that township and 28 acres in Flint River Township, where now stands the beautiful home of our subject. Elias N. Delashmutt immediately began to improve his land, and soon had a fine farm, at one time consisting of 591 acres, in Flint River and Union Townships. His industry and energy were soon rewarded by abundant crops, and he became one of the well-to-do farmers of that township. His wife, the mother of our subject, was called to her final home in 1880. They were the parents of nine children: Narcissa, widow of Samuel F. Stephen, resides in Union Township; Thornton L., a farmer residing on section 5, that township; our subject, the third child; Wilmington W. died in 1878; Elizabeth C., wife of John Storer, whose sketch appears elsewhere; Thomas R. died in Nebraska City in 1869; Priscella died in infancy; William H. H., a farmer of Lee County, Iowa; Anna, wife of Charles O. Hathaway, a farmer residing on section 3, Union Township. The father of these children has long been one of the leading men of the county, and for fifty-three years the name of Delashmutt has been identified with all public interests. He is a good Biblical student, during the late war served as a member of the Gray Beard Regiment of Iowa, which was composed of men too old to enter the regular service. He served two years and a half in this regiment, doing garrison duty. During 1872 Mr. Delashmutt's eyesight failed him; in 1873 he became totally blind, and for sixteen years has been unable to see the light of day. This affliction was brought on from exposure during his service. He now makes his home with his son-in-law, Mr. Hathaway of Union Township, and has reached the ripe age of eighty-eight.
The early life of our subject was passed upon his father's farm, he working upon the farm in summer and attending the district schools during the winter. At the age of twenty-two, when his father made a trip to California during the gold excitement in 1849, he had charge of S. F. Stephen's farm. On the 30th of October, 1850, he was united in marriage with Fluvia A. Arnold, who was born in Belmont County, Ohio, and is a daughter of Rodney and Eliza (Arick) Arnold, the father a native of Connecticut, the mother of Ohio. They emigrated to Des Moines County in 1835, settling on what is now Mr. Bender's farm. The mother died June 27, 1849, the father in 1871, and they were among the highly-respected families of the county.
After marriage, the young couple began their domestic life upon the old homestead, a short distance from where they now reside, and in December, 1851, Mr. Delashmutt, with T. L., W. W. and S. F. Stephen, in a party of seven, started for California, making the trip by way of the Mississippi River and taking an ocean steamer at New Orleans. This trip proved very successful, Mr. Delashmutt remaining until January, 1854, when he returned by way of New York. That year he purchased forty-two acres of farm land and thirty-three acres of timber land, known as the Jacob Fees farm, Flint River Township, and his care, cultivation and improvements soon made it one of the best in that section. In 1873 this farm was sold and Mr. Delashmutt moved to where he now resides, where he became the owner of twenty-eight acres of land, part of the original farm entered by his father in 1835, he also purchasing eighty acres in Union Township, making in all 108 acres, but from time to time he has added to that until he now has 174 acres of land, which pay an ample tribute to his cultivation and labor. The handsome farm residence is a two-story building 30x40, with an "L" 20x26. Three good barns furnish shelter for his stock and grain, and the other out-buildings are all of the most modern kind.
Nine children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Delashmutt: Eliza B., wife of John D. Stevenson, of Columbia, Colo.; Price died at the age of twenty-six; Nellie died aged six; Isabella, deceased wife of E. N. Ervin, a farmer of Adair County, Mo.; Josephine, who died in infancy; Carrie, wife of Anson B. Trumpour, an express messenger from Watsonville to Los Angelos, Cal.; Jennie, Grace G. and Macie still reside with their parents. Mr. and Mrs. Delashmutt have given their children good educations, not only in the common branches, but in science and music as well. The name of Delashmutt has been a familiar and prominent one in Des Moines County since 1835. For over half a century our subject has witnessed the progress and development which have made such incessant changes, has aided largely in its advancement and interest and taken great pride in its public enterprises. At his coming the Indians were frequent visitors to their home, and often the famous chief Black Hawk was among the number. The social, educational and religious interests find in Mr. Delashmutt a ready supporter, and both he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. We are pleased to record, among others of note, this sketch of the prominent citizen and respected pioneer of Des Moines County.
Delashmutt, a prominent and well-to-do farmer of Union Township, Des Moines
County, residing on section 5, was born in Tyler County, W. Va., March 1, 1825,
and is a son of E. N. and Susan Delashmutt, whose sketch appears on another page
of this work. E. N. Delashmutt, accompanied by his family, migrated to
this county in 1835, and has always been one of its prominent and leading
citizens, though for the past twenty years he has been blind, the affliction
being caused from exposure while serving in the Graybeard Regiment of Iowa.
Our subject was educated in the common schools of the county, and his whole life
has been spent upon a farm. Being the oldest son the management of the farm
devolved upon him, and he is now one to the practical and well-to-do farmers of
the county. With the exception of two and a half years spent in
California, he has never been a resident of any county but Des Moines since
On the 20th of March, 1855, when thirty years
of age, Mr. Delashmutt left the parental roof to make a home for himself.
On that day he was united in marriage with Isabella Delapp, a native of
Illinois, and to them were born three children, two of whom died in infancy; the
remaining child, Albert, is now engaged in farming on section 35, Canaan
Township, Henry Co., Iowa. Mrs. Delashmutt, who was a member of the Christian
Church, died April 8, 1858, and he was again united in marriage, with Caroline
E. Baker, a native of Iowa. By this union one child was born, Elsworth,
who is engaged in farming on section 35, Canaan Township, Henry Co., Iowa.
On the 27th of January, 1862, the second wife was called to her final home, and
Feb. 19, 1863, Mr. Delashmutt was again united in marriage , Miss Ellen J. Shaw
becoming his wife. She was born in Miami, Ohio, and is a daughter of
William Shaw, who died in that city. Two children grace this union--Hattie
B. and Fannie. Mr. and Mrs. Delashmutt have given their children a geed
education, and their daughter Hattie has great musical talent, and is a very
successful music teacher. Mrs. Delashmutt is a member of the Presbyterian
Church, and Mr. Delashmutt, though not a member of any Church, contributes
liberally to their support, and also to the other institutions and enterprises
which are of public benefit. Mr. Delashmutt's first purchase of land
consisted of 140 acres, but from time to time he has added to that until he now
has 332 acres, besides having given 320 acres to his sons in Henry County.
He has made all he has by his own efforts, perseverance and industry, his only
start in life being forty acres given him by his father. Practically, he is a
self-made man, and one who has performed his part in the up-building of the
county. Upon his farm may be found a fine grade of Short-horned cattle,
Poland-China hogs and Morgan and Hambletonian horses. Mr. Delashmutt has filled
almost all of the township offices, and is one of the honored and respected
citizens of the county. Politically, he is a stalwart Republican, and
strongly advocates the principles of that party. A portrait of this honored
pioneer will be found upon page 576.
A. N. Derby, deceased was one of the early settlers of Des Moines County, Iowa. To the early pioneers of this county is due far more credit than can be given in a short biographical notice. The trials through which they passed, the hardships endured, the great labor to be performed, the difficulties to be surmounted and the obstacles to be overcome in making a settlement in a new country, though unlike in some of the details, are similar in most cases and are given more fully in the historical part of this work.
Mr. Derby was born in Ithaca, N. Y., in 1821, receiving a common-school education. When a young man he went to Williamsport, Pa., where he was apprenticed to the trade of tanner and currier. Returning to New York, he was united in marriage with Miss Caroline Roper. In 1848, hearing of the opening of the West, Mr. Derby turned his face to the setting sun, and with his family came to Danville, Des Moines County, Iowa, remaining there but a short time, when he removed to Burlington, which became his permanent home. Here he found work in Rand's pork-packing house and later in Heisey & Co.'s sawmill, on the ground where Boesch & Co.'s brewery now stands. He then became a partner of the Messrs. Foote in a planing-mill, which partnership continued for some time. Messrs. Foote retiring to engage in other business, and Mr. Derby continued alone until 1862, when he enlisted as a Government engineer. While in the service Mr. Derby contracted disease from which he never recovered, dying in 1863. Mr. and Mrs. Derby were the parents of four children, three of whom are living: Newton R., Laura C. and Mark F. Mr. Derby was a man who was highly respected, with an untarnished reputation for integrity, walking in the narrow path of rectitude. He was enterprising, kind and obliging, blessed in every way and trusted by all, a citizen worthy to fill any position to which he was called. He was a member of the Congregational Church and a strict temperance man in word and deed.
Mark F. Derby, junior partner of the firm N. R. Derby & Co., is a Hawkeye by birth, born in Burlington, Iowa, Feb. 5, 1852. His education was received in the common schools, and after its completion he was employed as a message boy for the Telegraph Company, later in the employ of the Hawkeye Woolen Mills, and subsequently in the E. D. Rand & Co. lumber business. In 1878 he embarked with his brother in milling, which business he has since carried on. He was united in marriage in Burlington with Miss Jennie Young, a native of the city. She was highly educated, and for several years was a successful teacher in the public schools of Burlington. Mr. and Mrs. Derby are the parents of four children: Ralph A., Caroline, Marian and Newton. Although comparatively young, Mr. Derby ranks among the most enterprising business men of Burlington.
Newton R. Derby, one of the self-made men of Burlington, Iowa, was born in Union, Tioga Co., Pa., Feb. 25, 1848, and the same year his parents came to Des Moines County, where he grew to manhood and received his education in the schools of Burlington. At the age of fifteen he went to work for the firm of Hendrie, Bolthoff & Hendrie, in the foundry and machine shop as office boy, remaining with them one year, when he went to work for the firm of C. D. Rand & Co., rising from the position of office boy to that of foreman. He remained in their service for nine years, with the exception of one year, when he was employed in the Hawkeye Woolen Mills. In 1873 Mr. Derby embarked in the lumber business, as a member of the firm of F. T. Parsons & Co., remaining with them until 1876. In the fall of that year he went to California, locating at Stockton, where he again engaged in the lumber trade, continuing in that business until May, 1878, at which time he returned to Burlington, forming a partnership with his brother in the milling business, which has since grown to be one of the leading enterprises of the city.
On the 20th of December, 1871, the marriage of Newton R. Derby and Mary Belle McCash, a daughter of W. D. McCash, a native of Ohio, was celebrated. She is a native of Burlington, born in 1852. Three children have blessed their union: William A., Mark A. and Mary A. Politically, Mr. Derby is a Republican, having cast his first vote for Gen. Grant. He acted as Alderman for the city of Burlington in 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Derby attend the Presbyterian Church.
Gen. Augustus C. Dodge is numbered among the honored pioneers of Des Moines County, and during his life was among the most noted men. He sprang from good old Revolutionary stock, and the patriotism of his ancestors found an abiding-place in his heart. Henry Dodge and Christiana, daughter of James McDonald, were married in 1800, a few miles west of St. Louis. Of their thirteen children nine grew to maturity, Augustus C. being the fourth in order of birth. He was born Jan. 2, 1812, at St. Genevieve, Mo., then in the territority of Louisiana, the oldest settlement on the west side of the Mississippi River, about sixty miles below St. Louis. In that new and sparsely settled country his boyhood days were passed. His father was a man of note, even at that time, and during the struggle with Great Britain, from 1812 to 1815, was in command of a battalion of militia, whose duty it was to keep the Indians at bay. For his services he was appointed Brigadier General of the militia of the Missouri Territory. On the return of peace, he engaged in mining and smelting, and in the manufacture of salt. The educational facilities of that region were very scant, and the only school Augustus attended for a few months was kept in a log school-house, in which the light came through greased paper; pencils were made from a bullet beaten into shape and hammered to a point; pens were made with a Barlow knife, and ink from the boiling of butternut bark or gunpowder. Meanwhile the boy gained strength and self-reliance for the struggle of life in which he was to engage. In 1827 the family removed to the Fever River lead mines. Upon arriving at Galena, on July 4, they found the town in a state of alarm from fear of an attack from the Winnebago Indians. Henry Dodge was at once waited upon by citizens and asked to take command of forces for the defense of the mining district. Young Augustus wished to join them, and when told he was too young, appealed to his father, who, giving him a small shot gun, remarked, "Shoot well, my boy."
Upon the restoration of peace, Henry Dodge located at a point about forty-five miles northeast of Galena, to which was given the name Dodge's Grove. When the Black Hawk War broke out, in 1832, he was Colonel of the militia of Wisconsin Territory, and on the 25th of April was directed by Gen Atkinson to raise as many mounted men in the mining regions as could be obtained for service against the hostile Indians. In one company then raised Augustus was elected Lieutenant of volunteers. for home protection, and in the battle of the Wisconsin he conducted himself bravely. On the march, or camping out, he was always cheerful and obliging to the men.
During these years the family divided their time between their residence near Dodgeville and St. Genevieve, and Augustus made frequent trips between the two places. In February, 1837, he visited the National Capitol, where, as the son of a friend of the President, and one who had made a national reputation in the Black Hawk War, and through the attentions of his uncle, Senator Linn, he enjoyed unusual facilities for seeing public men and observing public affairs.
Returning home, on the 19th of March, 1837, he was united in marriage, near St. Genevieve, with Miss Clara A. Hertich, daughter of Prof. Joseph Hertich. Their union was an exceedingly happy one, and to them were born eight children--William J., Marceline M., Augustus V., Christiana, Clara A., Henry J., Charles J. and William W.
In 1838 Mr. Dodge was appointed by President Van Buren, Register of the United States Land Office at Burlington, and removed to this city, which was his home the rest of his life. He made an exceedingly popular officer, often going out of the way to help some unfortunate settler in securing the title to his land. The services then rendered were remembered by the settlers in after years.
On the 14th day of January, 1839, Mr. Dodge was appointed, by Gov. Lucas, Brigadier General of the 2d Brigade of the 1st Division of the Militia of Iowa Territory. In the fall of that year Missouri laid claim to a portion of Iowa Territory on its southern border, which was the occasion of great excitement. December 11 Gen. Dodge's brigade was called out. On reaching Van Buren County, Gen. Dodge was sent with two others to the encampment of the Missouri militia, and a friendly conference following, an amicable settlement was arranged, and the troops disbanded.
In the summer of 1840, without thought or effort on his part, Gen. Dodge was nominated Delegate to Congress. He made a canvass of the Territory, in company with his Whig competitor, Alfred Rich, and was elected by a majority of 585, receiving many Whig votes. On the 2d of September he took his seat in Congress, and on the 7th of December following, he welcomed his father to a seat by his side, as a Delegate from the Territory of Wisconsin, the first and only instance of a father and son sitting together in the House of Representatives since the foundation of the Government. He served as Delegate until the admission of Iowa into the Union, Dec. 28, 1846, a period of six years of laborious service. In the limits of this sketch a record of this service cannot be given, and the reader's attention is called to the life of Gen. Dodge, by Dr. William Salter, published in 1887. The First General Assembly of the State of Iowa was not able to agree upon the election of United States Senators, but the Second Assembly, Dec. 2, 1848, elected Gen. Dodge and George W. Jones. Mr. Dodge drew for the short term, ending March 4, 1848, and was at once re-elected for the term ending March 4, 1855. As seven years before the son had welcomed the father to a seat by his side in the House of Representatives, so now the father, who had entered the Senate on the 23d of the previous June, as one of the Senators from the State of Wisconsin, greeted the arrival of his son in the Senate Chamber. This was an unprecedented occurance. It was also noteworthy that Augustus C. Dodge was the first person born west of the Mississippi River to become a Senator of the United States. He was congratulated by Mrs. Fremont, wife of Gen. Fremont, who said: "General, I am sure that you will be the best behaved man in the Senate, on the ground that a dutiful son will be exceedingly decorous in the immediate presence of his father." The time in which Gen. Dodge served in the United States Senate was an exciting one in the history of the country. He favored the Compromise Bill of 1850, but voted against Jefferson Davis' proposition to make void a prohibition of slavery that had existed under the Mexican law, and extend the Missouri Compromise Line of 1820, so as to authorize slavery north of it, and he voted for the admission of California under her constitution prohibiting slavery. Mr. Dodge served as Chairman of the Committee on Public Lands, and favored the passage of the Homestead Bill. In the Kansas-Nebraska struggle of 1854, he followed the lead of Stephen A. Douglas. One of the best speeches delivered in the Senate in favor of the organization of Kansas and Nebraska under the Kansas-Nebraska Bill, and sneeringly spoken of as "Squatter Sovereignty," was by him. In answer to Sen. Brown, of Mississippi, who said, "There are certain menial employments which belong exclusively to the negro," he replied: "Sir, I tell the Senator from Mississippi, I speak it upon the floor of the American Senate, in the presence of my father, who will attest its truth, that I performed and do perform, when at home, all of these menial services to which the Senator referred in terms so grating to my feelings. As a general thing I saw my own wood, do all my own marketing. I have driven teams, horses, mules and oxen, and considered myself as respectable then as I now do, or as any Senator upon the floor."
On the 8th of February, 1855, Mr. Dodge resigned his seat in the Senate, and on the following day President Pierce nominated him to be Minister Plenipotentiary to the Court of Spain. He was confirmed, and served with great credit to himself and the General Government until the summer of 1859, when he returned home and made the race for Governor of Iowa on the Democratic ticket, but could not overcome the strong Republican majority. The following extract is from Salter's Life of the General:
"Withdrawn the rest of his life, for the most part, from official station, Mr. Dodge retained to the end his interest in public affairs, and his unswerving devotion to the Democratic party, of which he remained a recognized leader. On several occasions his name was presented as a suitable candidate for the highest offices in the Nation, but he himself never aided or abetted any movement to that end. In 1872 he advocated union with the Liberal Republicans, and the election of Horace Greeley for President. In 1874 he was elected Mayor of Burlington by a spontaneous movement of citizens, irrespective of party. In 1875 he served, by appointment of Gov. Carpenter, on a commission to investigate alleged abuses in a reform school in Eldora, and aided in introducing a more humane discipline into that institution. An ardent friend of youth, he was a frequent visitor at schools, and gave help and cheer to many in their struggles for an education. He sustained the cause of temperance in vigorous addresses, discountenanced the drink habit by consistent example, and looked to the invigoration of man's moral sense for the suppression of intemperance; not to prohibitory legislation. At meetings of pioneers and old settlers he was an honored guest, and never wearied in commemorating their exploits and labors. He presided over the semi-centennial celebration of the settlement of Iowa, on the 1st of June 1883, at Burlington, and gave surpassing dignity and zest to that occasion. It was a sight that can never be looked upon again to see that illustrious pioneer of Iowa, at the age of more than threescore and ten, pour forth from his capacious, accurate and ready memory, treasures of information concerning the beginning of the commonwealth. He seemed as if inspired with a religious zeal to snatch from oblivion the memory of our founders for the instruction of after times. A few months later came the fatal sickness and the final hour. He died on the 20th of November, 1883, in the bosom of his family, sharing the consolation of religion, his last words, "Bless the Lord."
We know that every reader of this work will be pleased to see the portrait of this eminent man shown upon a preceeding page, and will treasure the volume from that fact. No other man did greater honor to Des Moines County than Gen. Augustus C. Dodge.
Augustus Villars Dodge, of Burlington, Iowa, is a native of Missouri, born Jan. 31, 1842, and was the son of Gen. Augustus C. and Clara A. Dodge. His education was received in Paris, Madrid, and at Roxbury Latin School, of Boston, Mass., and began business with Hayden & Co., of Chicago, later employed by John H. Gear, with whom he was employed as a traveling salesman. In 1868 he engaged in the grocery business for himself, and in 1871 formed a partnership with a Mr. Rankin in the wholesale produce and ice business.
On the 15th of April, 1873, at Fairfield, Iowa, Mr. Dodge was united in marriage with Virginia A. Temple, a native of that city, and a daughter of George D. and Sarah J. (Thompson) Temple. Her father came to Burlington, with his parents, one year prior to the arrival of Gen. Dodge. Two children graced this union -- Henry Temple, born June 4, 1874, and Villars Atherton, April 29, 1876, Burlington being the birthplace of both. The death of Mr. Dodge occurred March 25, 1888. He was highly educated, and a man of literary tastes and studious habits, fond of music and the drama. He was a Royal Arch Mason, a Knight of Pythias, and also belonged to the Modern Woodmen. In politics he was a Democrat. Mrs. Dodge is a member of the Episcopal Church.
Charles Jones Dodge, Prosecuting Attorney for Des Moines County, Iowa, was born in Washington, D. C., July 31, 1852, and is the son of Gen. Augustus C. and Clara A. (Hertich) Dodge. He spent four years of his childhood at Madrid while his father was United States Minister at the Spanish Court, and on his return to America made his home at Burlington, Iowa, the permanent place of residence of the family. His preparatory education was received in the city schools, and when fifteen years of age he entered the University of Notre Dame, Ind., where he took a classical course, and, after an attendance of six years, graduated in 1874 with honors. He distinguished himself while at the University by his studious habits and good scholarship. In his junior year he won the class medal, and later, as a prize for the leader in elocution, he was awarded a fine Maltese cross, valued at $50, and at the close of his senior year, he won the honor of being chosen to deliver the valedictory. In the fall of 1874 Mr. Dodge entered upon the study of law in the office of Judge Tracy and attended the State University of Iowa, where he took a regular law course, receiving his diploma June 30, 1875. He at once entered upon the practice of his profession at Burlington, trying his first case in court on the 12th of July following.
Mr. Dodge was married at Burlington, Jan. 6, 1876, to Miss Ella Craig, daughter of Robert E. Craig of St. Louis, Mo. Mrs. Dodge was born in New Lisbon, Ohio. On entering upon the practice of law at Burlington, Mr. Dodge was first associated with W. S. Fegan, and in 1876 formed the existing partnership with his brother, Senator W. W. Dodge. He is a Democrat in politics. The first official position he was chosen to fill was that of City Solicitor, holding the same for one term. At the regular election of 1886, he was elected Prosecuting Attorney for Des Moines County, and is now serving in that capacity.
Mr. Dodge comes of an illustrious Democratic family, his immediate ancestors, father and grandfather having been eminent statesmen of national reputation. His father, Gen. A. C. Dodge, was conspicuous in the public affairs of Iowa, represented the State in the National Congress from 1848 to 1855, and was United States Minister to Spain during the years 1855-1859. His grandfather, Henry Dodge, was prominent in the early history of Wisconsin, was the first Governor of that State, and was elected to the United States Senate. A peculiar incident in the family history, well worthy of mention, was that of father and son, Henry and A. C. Dodge, sitting side by side in the United States Senate as members of that body, representing different States. Charles J. Dodge inherits many of the brilliant qualities which made his illustrious father so popular. He is gifted as an orator, and has won a foremost place as a lawyer.
William Wallace Dodge, a prominent lawyer of Burlington, Iowa, and the present
State Senator from the Ninth Senatorial District, was born in Burlington, April
25, 1854. His father was the late Gen. Augustus C. Dodge, of whom a sketch
is given elsewhere in this volume. His grandfather, Gov. Henry Dodge, was
the first Governor of Wisconsin and also served as United States Senator from
Dodge received his literary education at Notre Dame, Ind., taking a scientific
course and graduating in the class of '74. He then entered the law
department of the State University of Iowa, graduating in June, 1876. He
had the honor of being chosen president of class-day exercises on that occasion,
June 19, and was awarded the literary prize offered by the Burlington bar to the
graduating class for the best written argument on a given thesis of law.
Immediately after taking his degree, Mr. Dodge entered upon the practice of his
profession in his native city, in company with his brother, Clarence J., under
the firm name of Dodge & Dodge. By his brilliant talent, high moral
character and close application to business, he has won a prominent position at
Mr. Dodge is an
earnest Democrat, and seems to have been born with a natural instinct for
politics, in fact it might be said to be hereditary with him. His father
and grandfather before him were eminent statesmen and Democrats of the old
Hickory type. Both were members of the United States Senate at the same
time (the only instance in the history of the country where father and son sat
side by side as members of that body) one from Iowa and the other from
Wisconsin. Mr. Dodge began reading and talking politics in his youth, and
made his maiden campaign speech while in company with his father at the little
town of Franklin, Lee Co., Iowa, during the Presidential campaign of 1876, since
which time he has taken an active part in every local and national campaign,
speaking from the stump, serving on committees, presiding at conventions and
working at the polls. He was chosen Captain of the Cleveland and Hendricks
Club during the campaign of 1884, served as Chairman of a number of Democratic
County Conventions, and as Delegate to local and State Conventions. At the
Democratic State Convention, held at Des Moines, Sept. 1, 1837, he had, for a
young man, the distinguished honor of being chosen Temporary Chairman of that
organization, and performed the duties of his position with dignity and
dispatch. During many years of indefatigable effort in behalf of his
party, Mr. Dodge never sought, nor would he accept, public office till the fall
of 1884, when his friends induced him to accept the nomination for State
Senator, when, as if to prove the exception to the rule, that a "Prophet is
never without honor save in his own country," he was elected by a majority
of 934 over a popular Republican candidate, who had the advantage of age,
political experience, and the prestige of a good soldier record. It was
charged that, while Mr. Dodge possessed superior ability and unquestioned
integrity, he was guilty of the heinous crime of being a young man, and was
lacking in legislative experience. The first fault, his friends claimed,
time would remedy; and the latter he could more quickly overcome by placing him
where the necessary opportunity existed. His course in the Senate has
fully justified the most sanguine expectations of his friends and constituents.
His introduction of important bills, and able management in securing their
adoption, soon proved his lack of experience no serious hindrance to his
usefulness, and his eloquent and logical speech in favor of impeachment of State
Auditor Brown attracted general public attention. His manly course in
rejecting the so-called "$216 salary grab," and his sensible speech
opposing it, was consistent with his high sense of honor, and was generally
approved by his constituents. He was the first to introduce a bill in the
Iowa Legislature on the subject of child labor, designed to prohibit employment
of children under fifteen years of age, in factories, mines and work-shops.
Mr. Dodge has made the subject of that bill, and the laws of other States and
countries in regard to the same, a special study. His correspondence in
relation to the subject has been voluminous and varied, until he was well
qualified to be the champion of that worthy cause. He was the first to
advance the idea of making the Iowa Registry law an issue in politics, and
predicting the bad effect of its enforcement. The subsequent amendments of
the law fully justified his views.
Mr. Dodge is a most
indefatigable worker in whatever he undertakes, possessing intellectual
faculties of a high order, and, with studious habits, his abilities, both
natural and acquired, are such as attract attention and command respect.
Nature has happily endowed him with a fine physique, a good voice and a gift of
oratory. Quick in perception and correct in analysis, his conclusions are
logical and convincing. While next to the youngest member of the Senate,
Mr. Dodge has won a place in the foremost ranks of the legislatures of the
State. His name has already received favorable mention as a future
candidate for Congress, and it is only a question of time when this talented
young lawyer will be found following closely upon the footsteps of his
illustrious ancestors in the halls of the National Congress.
Near the close of
the session of the Twenty-second General Assembly of Iowa, he was appointed one
of two selected from the Senate, to act on the committee of five appointed to
investigate certain charges that had been preferred against the State University
of Iowa. The investigation began on May 15, 1888, ended July 20, 1888, and
to his credit be it said that he was the most faithful member of the commission,
not having lost a day from his labors. This is but an additional evidence
to his fidelity to public duty. As a representative of the younger generation,
but one who has already made his mark among the distinguished men of Des Moines
County, we gladly present to the patrons of the ALBUM an excellent portrait of
Dwight Dorman, tie and fuel agent for the lines of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, east of the Missouri River, and an employee of the company since 1864, was born in Franklin County, Vt., Dec. 24, 1819, and is a son of Eben H. and Lucretia (Kellogg) Dorman, the former a native of Charlotte, Vt., of Scotch descent; the mother a native of Pittsford, Vt., of English origin. Our subject was reared on his father's farm, received a liberal education, spent some time as a salesman, and was engaged in mercantile business for a number of years at Swantown, Vt.
Mr. Dorman was married, in his native State, to Miss Lucy F. Bullard, a native of Vermont, and a daughter of Daniel Bullard. Three children were born of their union, two sons and a daughter: Carrie L., now the widow of J. D. Perry, resides in Omaha, Neb.; Charles D. is in the railroad employ with headquarters at Omaha; James H. died in 1883, aged thirty-one years. Mr. Dorman came to Burlington in 1864 and entered the service of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad, and has continued with that company and the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, with which it was consolidated, to this date, covering a period of twenty-four years. Since 1882 he has been in charge of the tie and fuel department of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy east of the Missouri River, with headquarters at Burlington. In early life Mr. Dorman was a Whig, but is now Republican in politics, and in religious sentiment he and his family are Congregationalists. He is an unassuming, practical man of business; his long experience in the department under his control, and the fidelity with which he has discharged the duties devolving upon him, together with his zealous care of the interests of the company, have made his services especially valuable to the important corporation with which he has been connected so many years.
Paul Dorn, proprietor of the New McCutchen Home, Burlington, Iowa, is a native of Bavaria, Germany, born May 7, 1825. His father, John Dorn, emigrated to America in 1837, locating in Benton Township, Des Moines Co., Iowa. Paul remained with his father on the farm until twelve years of age, but not liking farm life, he came to Burlington, where he was employed in the hotels. In 1842 he tried his luck upon the river, running between St. Louis and New Orleans. Those were the days there was life upon the river, and Paul followed that business until 1848.
In 1850 he was joined in wedlock with Elizabeth A. Best, a native of New Jersey. He soon after turned his attention to farming, but subsequently came to Burlington, where he has been engaged in the hotel business, except two years, 1860 and 1861, when he was with Capt. Hillhouse, on the river. For the past twenty years he has been continually engaged in the hotel business. The New McCutchen House, of which he is the proprietor, is a three-story brick structure on the corner of Front and Columbia streets. It was erected by Mr. Dorn in 1874. It contains thirty-one extra sleeping apartments, and the house throughout is kept in first-class order. The rooms are neat and clean, the food excellent, and Mr. Dorn a model proprietor. Politically, he is one of the old Jackson Democrats.
George A. Duncan, Mayor of Burlington, Iowa, was born at Germantown, Pa., in 1850. Four years later his father, Thomas Duncan, removed with his family to Iowa, first locating at Muscatine, where he remained until 1857, engaged in building bridges, and then removing to Burlington. "Our George," as he is popularly known, received his education in the public schools of this city and the Peoria High School, aftrward graduating from the High School at Allegheny City, Pa., and then being admitted to the Normal School at Millersburg, Pa. In 1866 he was matriculated at Washington College, Pa., graduating in 1868. Returning to Burlington, he engaged with the lumber mill firm of Duncan, Hosford & Co., until the following autumn, when he entered upon a business course at the Bryant & Stratton Commercial College, of Burlington, then under the charge of Prof. Bonsall. After completing a business course, he re-entered the service of Duncan, Hosford & Co. as book-keeper, but soon threw up the job and took a tour through the Southern States. Next spring he returned to Burlington and entered the employment of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, as fireman, being afterward promoted to engineer. In 1871 he bought a half-interest in the Burlington Steam Laundry, which he sold out two years later. His next move was to establish an independent insurance agency, being associated with A. H. Kuhlemeier, now United States Internal Revenue Collector. The business thrived, and they soon were doing the largest business of any agency in the city. In 1875 Mr. Duncan bought out Mr. Kuhlemeier's interest. In 1878 he bought out the telephone interests in the city and greatly expanded them. In 1882 he organized the Telephone Express Company. In 1883 he and his friends bought out V. M. Gorham's hotel inerests and changed the name to Hotel Duncan. The hotel was enlarged in 1885 by the addition of another story, and otherwise greatly improved. It is now recognized as the leading hotel in Burlington.
Mr. Duncan has also been identified with various other enterprises; he was at one time the manager of the Opera House and President of the Western Construction Company, engaged in erecting electric light plants. At the general election in November, 1887, he was elected Mayor of the city of Burlington, to fill the unexpired term of Hon. A. G. Adams, deceased, and was re-elected in the spring of 1888 for a full term.
Few men possess a greater amount of pluck, with the steadfast determination to succeed, than George A. Duncan. Full of zeal, whatever he undertakes he pushes to the utmost extent. Since he became Mayor of the city he has given much of his time to advance its interests in various ways, visiting and consulting with authorities in other cities, and using every possible means within his power to have his adopted city take its proper position among the cities of the Northwest.