and Biographical Album of Des Moines County, Iowa
Evans, Evan F., contractor and builder of Burlington, Iowa, was born in Montgomeryshire, Wales, Sept. 12, 1837. His parents are Evan and Mary (Brees) Evans, both of whom are also natives of Wales. They are still residing in that country, and three other members of the family are yet living: John, residing in Liverpool, England; Jane and Elizabeth, both residents of their native country. Mr. Evans, Sr., is a carpenter by trade, and as soon as our subject was large enough to handle the tools, he was set to work to learn the business, and, having talent in that direction, in a little time became a first-class workman. Growing to manhood, in 1866 he was united in marriage with Miss Catherine Richards, and two years later the young couple emigrated to America, locating in Iowa, where the husband soon found employment. In 1873, he took up his residence in Burlington, working as a journeyman for a few years, and then commenced contracting, erecting some of the substantial buildings of the city, among which are the Presbyterian Church, the Postoffice Building, together with the residences of Messrs. Crittenden, McArthur and R. M. Green.
Mr. and Mrs. Evans are the parents of five living children--Daniel R., Thomas W., Nellie, May and Frances. They are people highly respected in the community where they reside, and are members of the Congregational Church. Politically, Mr. Evans is a Republican.