and Biographical Album of Des Moines County, Iowa
Edward J. Jackson, a farmer and stock-raiser residing
on section 14, Franklin Township, Des Moines Co., Iowa, was born in
Luzerne County, Pa., Jan. 31, 1824, and is the son of William and Jerusha
(Inman) Jackson, both of whom were also natives of Luzerne County, and
there their children were born. They are as follows: Elizabeth, the
eldest, and the widow of Alexander Ray, makes her home with our subject.
Her husband was a dealer in mining stocks, and, while on a trip to France
to see about his mining interests, was taken sick and died, leaving
two children--Louis, a harness-maker, and Eugenia, the wife of Robert
Buckingham, of Los Angeles, Cal. George A., the eldest son, is a farmer
in Franklin Township; Martha, a resident of Dodgeville, Iowa, is the
widow of Joshua Downer; William, a farmer of Franklin Township; Margaret,
wife of Jesse Wassom, also a farmer in that township; James, also engaged
in farming in the same township; Lavina, wife of C. B. Kline, a merchant
and farmer residing in Dodgeville, Iowa; Jerusha, who died in 1862;
Susan, who became the wife of William Thompson, died, leaving one child,
William Samuel. The Jackson family settled in Luzerne County, Pa., prior
to the Revolutionary War, though they had previously been residents
of Connecticut. The Inman family came from Rhode Island, and four of
the brothers of Mrs. Jackson were killed in the massacre at Wyoming.
Mr. and Mrs. Jackson remained in their native county until 1842, when
they emigrated to Des Moines County, Iowa, where Mr. Jackson had two
years prior purchased land. They made the trip by team to Pittsburgh,
and from there by boat to Burlington, reaching their destination in
June, 1842. At this time the country was almost an unbroken wilderness,
and the family lived in true pioneer style. On section 14, where Edward
now resides, 440 acres of partly-improved land had been purchased, and
upon it stands the primitive log cabin which was erected in the fall
of 1843. Mr. Jackson was permitted to enjoy his new home but a short
time, his death occurring in 1845, at the age of fifty-three years.
His wife survived him until 1862, aged sixty-two years. She was a devoted
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Jackson of the Presbyterian.
Upon the death of his father, our subject at once took
charge of the home farm, and, with the aid of his brothers, who are
all comfortably situated, each owning farms for themselves, soon had
the land in a fine state of cultivation. In 1858 the marriage of Edward
Jackson and Miss Abigail Chase, a native of Cattaraugus County, N. Y.,
was celebrated. Together they enjoyed nearly thirty years of wedded
life, but in 1875 Mrs. Jackson was called to her final home. She was
a sincere member of the Baptist Church. Mr. Jackson is now the owner
of sixty acres of tillable land, and also of a tract of timber land.
In his political views he is a Jackson Democrat, and has held various
township offices, at one time being elected County Supervisor.
George Jackson, one of the representative farmers of Des Moines County, Iowa, residing on section 2, Franklin Township, is a pioneer of 1842. He was born in Luzerne County, Pa., July 25, 1826, and is a son of William and Jerusha (Inman) Jackson. Our subject attended the district schools of his native county during the winters, and worked upon the farm in the summer months. The home farm was situated in Newport Township, Luzerne County, but in 1836 the father sold the land, taking up his residence south of Wilkes-Barre. In those days the Indians were very numerous, and many were the fights the settlers had with them to retain possession of their claims. This farm had been in possession of the Jackson family for over a century, being handed down from father to son, and the grandfather and great-grandfather were both engaged in the massacre at Wyoming. The family remained in Luzerne County, Pa., until 1840, at which time William Jackson came to Des Moines County, and being well pleased with the country and its prospects he purchased 440 acres of land on section 14, Franklin Township. Two years later he brought his family to their new home, and immediately began the improvement of his land, but four years later he was called to his final home, his death occurring in 1846.
George Jackson, the subject of this sketch, remained under the parental roof until the age of twenty-three, when he was united in marriage with Miss Catherine McMichael, a native of Dauphin County, Pa., born March 14, 1829, and a daughter of Archibald and Mary (McLaughlin) McMichael. Her father was a native of Lancaster County, Pa., and her mother was born in New Jersey. In 1840 they emigrated to Des Moines County, settling in Franklin Township, where Mr. McMichael died about the year 1874, his wife surviving him until 1877. They were the parents of ten children, four of whom are yet living: Mrs. Jackson; Mary, wife of James Jackson, a farmer of Franklin Township; A. A., a resident of Washington Territory; and Rebecca, wife of John Kelley, of Stockton, Cal.
Eleven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. George Jackson, though six died in infancy. Those living are Mary, wife of Thomas Rhodes, night operator in the telegraph office of Mediapolis, Iowa; Alice, wife of Leander Hamilton, of Kossuth, Iowa; George, Jr., Rebecca and Maggie are still inmates of the parental home. In 1850 Mr. Jackson purchased eighty acres of land on section 2, Franklin Township, but has since added twenty more, and has now 100 acres of fine land under cultivation. A nice frame residence has been erected, the main part being two stories in height, and 30x16 feet, and the "L" is a story and a half in height. Mr. and Mrs. Jackson endured all the trials and privations incident to pioneer life, but by perseverance, energy and economy, they overcame all its difficulties, and are now enjoying the results of their honest toil and upright life. They are both members of the Baptist Church, as are three of the daughters, and have liberally aided in the erection of the churches and school-houses, which stand as monuments of the devotion of the early settlers. In his political view Mr. Jackson has been a lifelong Democrat, and has held various township offices of trust to the satisfaction of his neighbors; and socially, he is a member of the I. O. O. F., though his failing health will not permit his constant attendance. He and his family are honored and respected citizens of the county, esteemed by all who know them, and we welcome them to a foremost place in this volume.
Franklin B. Jaggar, President of the Burlington Linseed
Oil Company, and a pioneer of Des Moines County of 1838, was born at
Ithaca, Tompkins Co., N. Y., Feb. 1, 1825, and is a son of Luther S.
and Lufanny (Crandall) Jaggar. His father was born on Long Island, of
German parentage, and his mother was born in the State of New York,
her ancestry being of Scotch origin. When our subject was twelve years
of age he emigrated with his parents to Quincy, Ill., where they spent
two years and then came to Iowa, locating in Danville Township, Des
Moines County, where his father engaged in farming. His parents reared
a family of four sons and a daughter: Erasmus D. died Ague. 11, 1884;
Henry B. is a druggist of Hudson, Wis.; Edwin L., a minister of the
Congregational Church, is chaplain of the penitentiary in Hartford,
Conn.; the sister, Adeline Eliza, was the wife of Rev. Charles Burnham,
and died in Danville, Iowa, Jan. 5, 1848.
Franklin B. Jaggar, the subject of this sketch, engaged
in farming until 1856, when he came to Burlington, here engaging in
the manufacture of linseed oil with John J. Burnham, under the firm
name of Burnham & Jaggar. They were the first to establish that
line of business in this city, starting in a small way, increasing the
facilities for oil manufacture as the growth of flaxseed increased in
the West, till they built up an extensive business. That connection
continued form 1856 until 1878, when Mr. Burnham died and Mr. Jaggar
sold his interest to J. R. Burnham. In 1880 Mr. Jaggar formed a partnership
with Marcus Simpson, in the same line, under the firm name of Jaggar
& Simpson. The business was carried on under that name until 1886,
when the present Burlington Linseed Oil Company was incorporated.
Mr. Jaggar was united in marriage at Delaware, Ohio,
Oct. 7, 1851, with Miss Emily B. Burnham, of Delaware, Ohio, who was
born in Ipswich, N. H., and was a daughter of John A. Burnham; she died
Aug. 31, 1885. In July, 1887, at Cottage City, Mass., Mr. Jaggar again
formed a matrimonial alliance, with Mrs. Susan E. Barnes, who was born
in New York State, and was the widow of J. W. Barnes and daughter of
Mr. Lafely. Mr. Jaggar is a member of the First Congregational Church,
of Burlington, of which he has been a Deacon for many years. Mrs. Jaggar
is a member of the First Presbyterian Church, of Burlington. In early
life Mr. Jaggar was a Whig, and since the formation of the Republican
party he has been an active supporter of its principles. He has never
sought political distinction in any way, preferring to devote his time
to business pursuits.
A portrait of Mr. Jaggar will be seen on a preceding
Rev. J. Jesperson, Pastor of the Swedish Lutheran Church of Burlington, Iowa, was born Oct. 14, 1858, at Dahlum, West Gothland, Sweden, and is a son of Jasper and Lisa Carlson. He is the youngest of six children; the others are: Johanna, Carl, Christiana, Charlotta and Maria, all living. The mother of Mr. Jesperson died in Sweden in 1870. The father is still living in Rockford, Ill. His youth was spent in his native land, but in 1873 he came with the family to America, they locating in Rockford, Ill., where Mr. Jesperson attended the city schools until 1877, also taking a course in the Swedish school. During that year he went to Rock Island to attend the Augustane College, graduating from that institution in 1883, and his next course was in the Seminary, from which he graduated in 1885, and was ordained on the 28th day of June at Rockford, Ill., and at one became Pastor of his present Church, in which capacity he has remained ever since. Mr. Jesperson was married, on the 15th of May, 1888, to Miss Mathilda Sofia Anderson, daughter of Lars and Kajsa Anderson, of Burlington. She is one of five children. The others are: Willie, Selma, Alweda, and Emily, all living. The father of Mrs. Jesperson died in 1870; the mother is still living in Burlington.
Frederick Johnson, Mayor of West Burlington, and also
foreman of the paint shops of the Iowa Division of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, which are located at West Burlington, was born in Denmark,
Europe, Nov. 16, 1834, and is a son of John and Margaret (Marquet) Johnson,
who were also natives of that country. To them were born nine
children, four of whom died in their native land. Those living
are: Lizzie, widow of John Larson, who is a resident of Barnard,
Mo., she having emigrated to this country with her husband in 1854;
Peter, who is engaged in farming near Salt Lake City, Utah; Margaret,
wife of John Washburn, also a resident of Utah. The three above
mentioned came to this country in 1854, and two years later the parents,
accompanied by our subject, left their native land and sailed for America.
Their destination was Burlington, Iowa, but while making the journey,
the father was taken sick and died near the City of Chicago, and there
his remains were interred. The widowed mother and her son continued
their journey, reaching Burlington in March, she making her home with
her children. In 1885, while Mrs. Johnson was on a visit to her
daughter, Mrs. Larson, her death occurred, and she was buried in Barnard,
Mo. Both Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were members of the Reorganized
Church of Latter Day Saints. Our subject, Frederick Johnson, received
his education in his native land and there learned the painter's trade,
at which he secured work shortly after his arrival in Burlington, first
with the Burlington & Missouri road, which is now consolidated with
the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy. He was the first employe
of his trade who received steady work from the latter company, with
which he has been engaged for twenty-eight years, having all the time
been foreman of the painting department, and a better testimonial of
his skill and labor could hardly be given.
On the 8th of December, 1856, Mr. Johnson was united
in marriage with Druscilla Brooks, who was born in Cambridge, England,
Oct. 2, 1840, and is a daughter of James and Elizabeth (Covington) Brooks,
who were natives of Bedfordshire. She came to America with
her parents in 1854 and located in Burlington, Iowa. Both Mr.
and Mrs. Brooks are now deceased. The former departed this life
Nov. 8, 1868, and the latter Jan. 2, 1869. Mr. and Mrs. Brooks
were members of the Baptist Church, of which denomination he was a prominent
Eight children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Johnson:
James F., born Jan. 28, 1859, is an artist residing in Chicago; Margaret
E., born Jan. 16, 1860, is the wife of Charles N. Craig, a resident
of West Burlington and a painter by trade; Annie M., born June 11, 1862,
is the wife of Dr. William E. Messenger, of Prescott, Iowa; Ruth D.,
born July 8, 1866; Horace, born Oct. 14, 1868, died Sept. 11, 1869;
one child died in infancy; Frederick H., born Aug. 10, 1877; Brooks
C., born Dec. 28, 1886. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have given all their
children good educations, thus fitting them for useful and responsible
positions in life. They are both members of the Reorganized Church
of Latter Day Saints, of Burlington. Socially, Mr. Johnson is
a member of I. O. O. F. and K. of P. of city, and politically, he is
a Republican, having always cast his vote with that party. We
are happy to record the history of so prominent a citizen and one who
is universally respected, and also well pleased to give the portrait
of one who has shown himself well worthy a place among the representative
citizens of the county.
James Johnson, D. D., an eminent divine, founder and first pastor of the Baptist Church
of Burlington, Iowa, in November, 1848, is pastor of the same Church
in September, 1888. He was born in the village of Vernon, Oneida
Co., N. Y., Oct. 9, 1824, and is a son of James and Emma (Catlin) Johnson,
both of whom were natives of Connecticut, descended from old New England
families. They removed to Northern New York, but a short time
prior to the birth of our subject, who was educated at Madison University,
at Hamilton, N. Y., graduating in the collegiate course in the class
of '46 and in the theological course in 1848. His Alma Mater honored
him by conferring upon him the degree of D. D., in 1874. Shortly
after his graduation, in November, 1848, Dr. Johnson came to Burlington,
Iowa, as a Missionary of the American Baptist Home Mission Society of
New York. This was his first mission, he preaching in a little
hall over a saloon, opposite the Barrett House, for the first two years,
and at the end of six months of that time he had organized a little
Church of twelve members, of whom two were colored. At the expiration
of the two years, his congregation succeeded in building a church on
Fourth street, which was used as their house of worship for thirty-four
years, and is now the People's Opera House. Dr. Johnson continued
as pastor of the Church for a period of ten years, during which time
he baptized about 500 converts, the Church also meanwhile becoming self-supporting,
and sending out a branch congregation, forming a separate Church of
100 members. In 1852, Dr. Johnson led in a movement to establish
an institute of learning at Burlington, which was eminently successful,
and the Burlington Institute, which resulted from that movement, has
now had a useful and prosperous career of thirty-six years, and is recognized
as one of the leading academic institutions of Iowa. In 1858 the
Doctor removed to Ft. Madison, Iowa, where he organized a small Baptist
Church and Sunday-school, to which he subsequently added 200 by profession
and baptism. Returning to Burlington in 1863, for five years he served
the American Baptist Publication Society of Philadelphia as District
Secretary, representing its mission work over the whole Mississippi
Valley. Removing to St. Louis in 1868, in addition to his continued
services in the former capacity, Dr. Johnson started a branch house
for the sale and distribution of its literature over the southern and
western part of the country, continuing in that relation eight years.
The succeeding two years were spent in Upper Alton, Ill., as a special
financial agent for Shurtleff College, during which time, by energetic
and well directed industry, he succeeded in raising the sum of $100,000
with which to pay the debts and increase the endowment of the college.
In 1878 Dr. Johnson removed to Philadelphia, and became General Missionary
Secretary of the American Baptist Publication Society for the United
States, in which relation he continued six years, in the meantime traveling
over the whole of the United States, visiting and preaching in every
State and Territory in the Union. During this period he introduced the
system of colporteur and Sunday-school work for the society into all
parts of the Union. His services with the society covered a period
of twenty-one years, his travels aggregating 390,186 miles, equivalent
to fifteen trips around the circumference of the globe and once through
the diameter and back, of a voyage to the moon and more than half way
home again. At the end of thirty-six years of continued service
in public life, Dr, Johnson found his health impaired, and himself greatly
in need of rest to recuperate his failing energies. For the accomplishment
of that purpose, seeking the mild climate of Florida, he there spent
two winters and a summer, returning North perfectly restored. In March,
1886, Dr. Johnson again returned to Burlington to accept the pastorship
of the Church that he had organized thirty-seven years before, and since
his return has paid off the indebtedness, completed and furnished a
new house of worship at a cost of $6,000, the whole expenses amounting
Dr. Johnson was married
at Cazenovia, N. Y., Oct. 17, 1850, to Miss Maria L. Nickerson, daughter
of Rev. James Nickerson, of New York, and six children were born of
their union: Emma E., the eldest, is the present Assistant Secretary
of the Women's Baptist Home Missionary Society of Chicago; James M.
was accidentally killed by a street car in St. Louis, Aug. 6, 1869,
at the age of fourteen years; George T., residing at St. Louis, married
Miss Helen Forbes, of Alton, Ill., and has three sons; Sarah M. resides
at home, and is a popular teacher of the Burlington Kindergarten; Kendall
W. is book-keeper in an insurance house of Chicago; Griffith is a student
of the Madison University of New York, where his father graduated in
Dr. Johnson was Secretary
of the Board of Trustees of the Burlington Collegiate Institute during
the first fifteen years of its existence, then general financial manager,
and is a member of the present board. In connection with his general
work, it may be mentioned as an interesting item, that he has dedicated
ninety houses of worship, located in sixteen different States and Territories,
and had the honor of conferring the rite of baptism upon the celebrated
Missionary, Rev. J. E. Clough, once a student of the Burlington Institute,
now in India serving as Missionary at Ongole among the Telugus, where
he is pastor of a congregation of 1,400 people, the largest Christian
congregation in the world. As his record shows, Dr. Johnson has
spent an active and useful life in the interest of his Church and his
fellow-men, and combines many essential elements of character which
peculiarly fitted him for the varied and arduous duties which he has
been called upon to perform. Blessed with mental powers of superior
capacity, a pleasing address and fine command of language, combined
with rare executive and financial ability, Dr. Johnson has proved himself
always competent, faithful and earnest in every place where duty called
him, and it is to be hoped he has many years of usefulness yet before
Harry Johnson, of Burlington, is proprietor of the well-known job printing house at No. 115 Jefferson street, where he does a general job and book printing business, making a specialty of catalogue work. He has several steam-power presses and an office well equipped for all work in his line.
This business was established by the subject of this sketch in 1881, since which time he has published the Burlington Star, a weekly society paper, which he conducted during 1884-85. He also established the Morning Herald, a daily paper, which he published but a short time, and then sold out. He now devotes his attention strictly to job and book work, gives employment to from fourteen to eighteen hands, and is doing a safe and prosperous business.
Mr. Johnson was born in Burlington, Iowa, April 21, 1863, and is the son of G. H. and Carrie (Franken) Johnson, who are still residents of the city. His father was born in New York City, and was of Swedish parentage. His mother was born in Sweden, and emigrated to America in childhood. Harry was educated in the public schools of his native city. In 1881, when but nineteen years old, he started a small job office, employing a good practical printer as foreman. He learned the printer's trade in his own office. When twenty-one years old, Oct. 1, 1883, he was appointed Observer of the United States Signal Corps, stationed at Burlington, which position he held four years and until the station was discontinued.
At the same time young Johnson was conducting his printing-office, and publishing newspapers. When starting in business he was uniformly spoken of as "the boy printer." He began without capital or assistance of any kind, relying on his own energy and ability to carry him through. That he has succeeded so well is due to his perseverance and industry, as well as to his other natural capacities. He is a Republican in politics, and a member of the Royal Arcanum.
William F. Johnson, a prominent farmer and stock-raiser residing on section 33, Flint River Township, was born in Bedford County, Pa., April 12, 1815, and is a son of Joshua and Sarah (Burbridge) Johnson, the father a native of Washington County, Md., the mother of Hampshire County, W. Va. The mother of our subject was the second wife of Joshua Johnson, their marriage being celebrated Jan. 13, 1811, in Hampshire County, W. Va. Six children were born to them: Rosanna became the wife of William Larmer, and both have been called to their final rest; Benjamin, born Nov. 18, 1813, died Sept. 20, 1840; Wm. F., our subject; Louisa, born Nov. 9, 1817, died Sept. 2, 1840; Washington, born July 1, 1816, died in California in 1886--his wife, formerly Catherine Cartwright, is still residing in North Bloomfield, that State; Denton, born in May, 1820, died Sept. 28, 1840. Louisa, Denton and Benjamin all died in September, 1840, of typhoid fever. At that time five of the family were sick with that disease, if proving fatal to the three above mentioned.
Joshua Johnson was throughout his life a farmer. He was one of the leading men of Bedford County, Pa., having been elected to the State Senate several terms and serving many years as Justice of the Peace. Charitable, benevolent and kind, he was always ready to aid the needy, comfort the sorrowing, and, to his own disadvantage, often tided a friend over financial difficulties. A kind and indulgent husband, a loving father, a good neighbor, his death, which occurred Dec. 1, 1832, was sincerely mourned by all. His wife departed this life June 7, 1836, in Marshall County, (now) W. Va. She was a devoted Christian woman, teaching her children that the Bible was the only safe guide, impressing upon their minds the necessity of a truthful, righteous and temperate life. She was a woman of good business judgment, refined and intellectual and highly respected by all.
The early life of our subject was spent upon a farm. Such education as could be obtained was received in the subscription schools. At the age of sixteen he was thrown upon his own resources, working for thirty-seven and a half cents per day. On the 4th of May, 1837, Mr. Johnson was united in marriage with Isabella W. Parriott, who was born in Marshall County, now a part of West Virginia, March 9, 1817, and was the daughter of William and Susanna Parriott, of Hampshire County, W. Va. In 1838, Mr. Johnson, with his young wife and one child, Sarah Louisa, born Feb. 27, 1838, made the trip from Wheeling, W. Va., to Burlington by boat. Purchasing a claim of 200 acres on section 33, Flint River Township, they began making a home. The old log cabin then created has long since given place to a fine frame residence, though the memory of it is still dear, for there the children were born, namely: Luther, who was born Dec. 28, 1839, wedded Mrs. Lockard, for his first wife, and his present wife was Belle Steele; Denton died in infancy; Annie R., born Jan. 7, 1843, became the wife of William White, a resident of Mt. Pleasant, and two children, John and Harry, grace their union; William R., born Feb. 3, 1845, died in January 1888; John, born Dec. 9, 1846, wedded Miss Littler, of Illinois, and is now shipping clerk on the L. B. & W. R. R., with headquarters in Indianapolis, Ind.; Edgar W., born Jan. 6, 1849, married Elizabeth Ingram, daughter of John and Sarah Ingram, and to whom were born four children--Grace, Edna, Mattie and Horace; Denton, born March 2, 1851, wedded Miss Frank Parr, of Burlington, and one child, Frederick, has blessed their union; Denton died Jan. 4, 1870; Christopher, born Dec, 26, 1852, married Miss McMaken, and to them were born four children; Susan, born April 22, 1856, is a teacher in Boise City, Idaho; Mattie, born Feb. 27, 1861, is also a teacher of marked ability, occupying the position of high-school teacher in Boise City. She was offered the same position in the Burlington schools, but, thinking perhaps that the climate would be beneficial to her health, decided to go West.
Mrs. Johnson departed this life April 19, 1863. When quite young she united with the Methodist Church and was very active in church work. Mr. Johnson was again married, Jan. 23, 1867, to Miss Mary E. Burke, who was born in Butler County, Ohio, July 13, 1829, and is a daughter of Lyman Burke, a native of Baltimore, Md. Her family emigrated to Des Moines County, Iowa, in the fall of 1851, settling in Flint River Township.
Perseverance is the key to the fortress of success, and its portals now stand open to Mr. Johnson. Difficulties have been overcome, obstacles have been surmounted, and he is now able to rest after the wearisome labors of former years. Words are to feeble to praise such men, who, through industry, energy and economy, have made for themselves a competence and helped to build up a nation. Mr. Johnson is a strong advocate of the temperance cause. The promise to abstain from all intoxicating drinks, given to his mother on bended knees during his childhood, has never been broken. He is now an old man of seventy-three years, but his drink has been only God's beverage--water. He regards this act with more pleasure and consolation than any other of his life. In all his life he has never used tobacco in any form. Such a record any one might well be proud of. The political principles supported by Mr. Johnson in early life were those of the Whig party. He became a supporter of the Republican party at its organization, has never swerved in his allegiance, and does not believe that the party has outlived its usefulness. During the past six years Mr. Johnson's health has been failing; his work here is nearly completed and he is ready for his Master's call. Mrs. Johnson, too, has been afflicted for the past two years and is unable to do her own work. They are both members of the Methodist Church, and are held in high esteem by all who know them.
Edwin S. Johnston, veterinary surgeon, of Burlington, Iowa, was born in Louisa County, Iowa, Jan. 12, 1863. His parents, Henry A. and Eliza J. (Potts) Johnston, emigrated to Louisa County in 1857, where the father is a prosperous farmer. Edwin was there reared upon his father's farm, receiving a common-school education, which was supplemented by a course at Howe's Academy at Mt. Pleasant. In 1884, he entered the State Agricultural College at Ames, taking a three-years course and graduating in the class of '86, his diploma reading as follows: "State Agricultural College, Iowa. Know all men, that we, the Board of Trustees of the State Agricultural College of Iowa, do hereby declare and publish that Edwin S. Johnston has completed the prescribed course of study in the Department of Veterinary Science, and we therefore confer upon him the degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, with all the honors and distinction thereto belonging. In witness thereof, we have caused the great seal of the college to be impressed thereon and the signature of the President and Secretary to be affixed on the 10th day of November, 1886."
Soon after receiving his degree, Mr. Johnston came to Burlington, where he has met with good success, and his business in constantly increasing. He has an hospital for the treatment of horses brought in from the surrounding country. The Doctor is a man who thoroughly understands his profession and has made many warm friends since locating in Burlington.
Frank G. Jones, Superintendent, Secretary and Treasurer of the Union Street Railway Company, and one of the largest western stockholders, was born in Genesee County, N. Y., May 8, 1858, and is a son of Rev. Lewis and Lucy E. Jones, who were formally of Connecticut. The family removed to Michigan in 1870, where, after finishing his education, Frank G. learned telegraphy. He came to Iowa in 1876, where he was employed as book-keeper for the Des Moines, Osceola & Southern Railroad Company, and later was appointed General Freight and Passenger Agent, continuing with that corporation for five years. He spent some time in Princeton, Mo., coming to Burlington in 1885, being engaged in various occupations until he purchased an interest in the Union Street Railway, having since 1885 served as Superintendent, Secretary and Treasurer.
Mr. Jones was married in Clarke County, Iowa, June 10, 1880, to Miss Nina B. Kohler, a native of Liberty, Pa., and daughter of George F. Kohler. Two children were born of this union, a son and daughter--Frank Henry and Lulu Belle. Mr. and Mrs. Jones are both members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Jones is a Republican in politics, and is a member of the Princeton Lodge, I. O. O. F., of Princeton, Mo., and of Lodge No. 84, Order of Elks, of Burlington, Iowa.
G. Nelson Jones, M. D., of Burlington, Iowa, was born in Montreal, Canada, May 18, 1852. There he grew to manhood, receiving his education in McGill University, graduating in the literary and medical departments in the spring of 1874. Soon after graduating he went to London, England, where he spent one year in St. Thomas' Hospital. He also visited the principal hospitals of France. In the fall of 1875 he located in Burlington, a perfect stranger, but by close attention to business, he has succeeded in working up a large and lucrative practice. The Doctor is a member of the Iowa State Medical Association, also of the County Medical Society. Although diligently attentive to his calling, he does not lose sight of his obligations as a citizen, and takes an active interest in political and public affairs, being strongly attached to the institutions and devoted to the welfare of his adopted country.
In political affiliations and sentiment, Dr. Jones is a stanch supporter of the Democratic party, maintaining all of his views with sobriety and toleration which become the citizen of a free republic. With an untarnished reputation for integrity, he may justly be regarded as a citizen worthy to fill any position to which he may be called. He holds the office as surgeon, at Burlington, for the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, and also for the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railroad. As a physician he is acknowledged, both by his professional brethren and the public generally, as one of the best in the city.
Samuel H. Jones was for many years one of the best-known citizens of Burlington. He was born in Frederick County, Md., Dec. 16, 1833. A few years later, when but a small child, his parents removed to Springfield, Ohio. His father, Wesley Jones, Sr., was also born in Frederick County, Md., Sept 4, 1804, and there grew to manhood, receiving, for that time, a liberal education. On leaving home he went to Baltimore, Md., where he embarked in the mercantile trade. In 1838 he came to Burlington, where he still prosecuted the mercantile business, having several branch houses in different parts of the Northwest. In 1841 he moved his family to Burlington, where he continued to reside until his death, in 1849. He died in the prime of life from that dread disease, cholera. Wesley Jones, Sr., was a man of more than ordinary ability, a thorough business man and well posted on all the topics of the day.
The subject of this sketch came to Burlington with his parents and was educated in the common schools of that city, the advantages of which he received until the death of his father. He then entered the store of Coolbaugh & Gear, as clerk, and continued with that firm until they went into the wholesale grocery trade, when he found employment with Alfred Clark, then in the dry-goods trade, continuing therewith until Mr. Clark's death. He was then employed in the Hawkeye Mills of Putnam & Co., as clerk, for a short time, and, getting a little insight into grain-buying, concluded to try his luck in the grain trade. A few months sufficed to convince him that he had made a permanent deposit of what little money he had, and must look elsewhere for the future. In December, 1856, in company with W. D. McCord and D. N. Smith, with a two-horse wagon, our subject started for Plattsmouth, Neb. On his arrival he took a claim and went to work, but soon expended all his ready money, and later accepted a situation in the trading-store of W. Garrison, of Plattsmouth, where he remained until a better position was offered him in the larger and more pretentious establishment of Tootle & Hanna. About this time Pike's Peak fever broke out, and the firm having confidence in his honesty and ability, placed him in charge of a sock of miners' supplies and outfitting. Not long afterward the border ruffian troubles of 1861 became very prominent, and deeming their stock unsafe, Tootle & Hanna sent him with the entire stock to Denver. Arriving in theat city in the winter of 1861, he opened the first exclusively dry-goods house in Colorado, an establishment that made money for its owners. His health being impaired, Mr. Jones soon afterward went on a short trip to Salt Lake City, and assisted in surveying the route long known as the Ben Holiday Overland Stage Line. Before he returned to Denver the bank in which his small savings were deposited suspended, which, though somewhat discouraging, did not dishearten him. Returning to Denver, he remained with Toole & Hanna until 1863, when, having accumulated a fair sum of money, he formed a partnership with N. Campbell, both of them putting every dollar thay had into a stock of groceries. A day or two after they embarked in this venture, encouraged by a fine trade, they purchased goods on credit to the amount of $4,000. This purchase had hardly been stored when Denver's big fire swept over them, and out of their entire stock only $500 worth of goods were saved. With characteristic pluck, with only that small remnant of their stock, and with $4,000 of debt hanging over them, the firm at once entered into contract for the erection of a fire-proof brick building, two stories high, 25x125 feet in dimensions, to be completed within three months, under a penalty of $250 for each day longer that the work should remain unfinished. Success now began to crown their efforts, and in a comparatively short time the firm had extended their trade throughout Colorado and the adjoining Territories. They continued their business successfully until the close of the war, when they sold out their mercantile business, retaining some valuable interests in gold, silver and coal mines in the Territory.
Mr. Jones then came to his old home in Burlington, his former partner making his home in New York. Soon after reaching this city, in company with Dr. J. J. Ransom, he made a trip to Europe, spending some months in visiting the most noted places on that continent. Returning home, he made considerable investments in real estate, purchasing the old residence property of Dr. Lowe, on the west side of Main street, between Jefferson and Washington, on the site of which he erected four valuable store buildings. He also acquired the large four-story building on the southeast corner of Third and Jefferson streets, the double building on the northwest corner of Fourth and Jefferson streets, a considerable amount of unimproved property on Fourth street south of Market, and other buildings and real estate. Mr. Jones was one of the stockholders and organizers of the German-American Savings Bank, and in 1882 became its President. He was very active in promoting the interests of that institution, and to his untiring personal efforts, in a very large degree, was due its fine record among the financial institutions of Burlington and Iowa, a success that has not been diminished in carrying out his pet ambition in the erection of the splendid building in which the bank is now located. Mr. Jones was also a stockholder in a prosperous Chicago bank, and his possessions at the time of his death, which occurred at Chicago, June 12, 1887, were estimated at a quarter of a million dollars.
To Mr. Jones, as much as to any other man, the city of Burlington is indebted for its fine opera house. It was largely due to his munificence and energy that the company was organized, and the scheme of building put into execution. He was from the first a Director and a member of the Executive Committee and Chairman of the Building Committee. His good judgment helped greatly in giving to the city probably its finest public building. As a business man Mr. Jones had no superior, and as a landlord it is said of him that he was always popular with his tenants because he cared for their interests. He never waited to be asked to make any necessary repairs where they might be needed, but as soon as observed had the work done. In consequence of this fact his buildings were seldom idle. In commercial transactions he was shrewd, searching and far-seeing, qualities which commended him to capitalists, manufacturers, merchants and others, who often sought his counsel about their business affairs. Many a poor man or citizen of moderate means also counseled with him and received friendly help at his hands.
Mr. Jones was a man of marked individuality of character; positive in his convictions, firm, decisive and independent in his judgments, and resolute and indefatigable in carrying out his plans. His brusqueness of manner sometimes led people to misjudge him, but underneath the brusque exterior was a kindliness of nature, a broad, hospitable, sympathizing heart. His real nature in these attributes of character was strongly illustrated in the wealth of affection he had for the home circle. He never married, but for his mother nothing was too good, no attention too lavish. For her and her gentle ways and quiet life his admiration knew no bounds, and for her devoted Christian life he had the most profound respect. For his brother Wesley and for his sisters he had a like depth of affection, and was always seeking some way to contribute to their happiness. For his nieces and other relatives and friends, the same thoughtful care was manifested, affording an example in this respect in a world not too redundant with family ties, which may well be studied and followed by his fellow-men. Upon coming home, after closing out his business affairs in Denver, Mr. Jones made his home with his mother, in the residence property on the corner of Third and Court streets. With them lived Mrs. Virginia McCord, his eldest sister, whose husband accompanied him on his first departure for the West, and who was drowned from a steamer at Plattsmouth, soon after reaching that place. His aged mother died in April, 1884, but Mrs. McCord continued to make a home for him where their home had been so long. The members of the family now living are: Mrs. Thomas Duncan, Mrs. William A. Morrison and Miss Laura Jones.
Mr. Jones was a Mason of high rank, a worthy Knight Templar. Taken all in all, he was a citizen who left more than an ordinary impress upon the community in which he lived and with whose interests he was so long identified. On the death of Mr. Jones, the Directors of the German-American Savings Bank passed the following preamble and resolution:
WHEREAS, This morning the vacant chair of our respected President vividly impresses us that its late occupant, Mr. Samuel H. Jones, will no more preside over or take part in our deliberations; AND WHEREAS, Realizing that the Bank has, as an institution, and each officer and member of this Board of Directors, as individuals, has in his death lost an honorable, capable and efficient officer,and firm friend: Therefore,
Resolved, That with profound respect this Board of Directors hereby record their sincere sorrow at the loss of one who was a personal friend to each and all of us, and to whose capable, efficient and judicious direction much of the success of this Bank is due; that the sincere sympathy of each and every officer and member of this Board of Directors be and is hereby tendered his family; that on the day of his funeral the Bank will not open until one o-clock P. M.; and that all join in showing proper respect to his memory by attending the funeral.
John R. Jones, a prominent farmer of Yellow Spring Township, Des Moines Co., Iowa, residing on section 30, was born in Anglesea, North Wales, May 15, 1825. His parents were Robert and Elizabeth (Owens) Jones, natives of the same place, where the father was a farmer. In 1845 his father left his native land for America, bringing with him his wife and six children. Landing in New York he came direct to Des Moines County, Iowa, where his brother John had settled, having come to America fifteen years previous to this time, and has been a resident of Yellow Spring Township for several years. Robert Jones purchased a tract of land adjoining that of his brother, comprising 320 acres of prairie and forty acres of timber. On that land he erected a stone house, the walls of which are yet standing, and there lived the remainder of his life, his death occurring Sept. 19, 1875, aged seventy-five years, having been born in the year 1800. His wife died Feb. 27, 1878, being also seventy-five years of age at the time of her death. Robert Jones was a man of high moral character and strict integrity. In his native country he was a member of the Episcopal Church, his wife belonging to the Baptist, but on coming to Iowa both joined the Congregational Church, continuing their connection with it as long as they lived. They were the parents of seven children, six of whom were born in Wales: John R. was the eldest; Robert, who was a first-class engineer on the largest steamboat of the Lower Mississippi, died in New Orleans; William is the proprietor of a hotel at Flora, Ill.; Thomas, who was learning the trade of blacksmithing at St. Louis, died there when a young man; David, who was formerly a farmer in Yellow Spring Township, is now a resident of Washington Territory; Sarah, wife of Rev. T. W. Evans, died at her home in Louisa County; Isaac is a farmer in Kansas.
John R. Jones was twenty years of age when he emigrated from Wales, in which country he had received his education. He worked for his father for two years, helping him to develop the farm, which was then a naked prairie. After the raw land was broken, the rail fences made, the stone house erected, and his father comfortably settled, he began to improve for himself an 80-acre tract of land of his father's original purchase, which the latter had deeded to him. While his land was undergoing this work of cultivation Mr. Jones remained at home with his parents, but deciding that it was "not good for man to be alone," he was united in marriage, Jan. 18, 1849, with Gwen Owens, a native of Merionethshire, North Wales, born June 7, 1822. Her parents were Robert and Grace (Roberts) Owens. Mrs. Jones had been married in her native country to Jones R. Hughes, with whom she had come to America in 1842. He died in Pleasant Grove Township, this county, where they had settled. One child graced this union, Hannah S., born Nov 6, 1846, who is now the wife of William Z. Lloyd, of Cass County, Iowa, and the mother of seven children.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Jones made their home with his parents until the next summer, when he erected a hewed-log cabin, which was the best in the neighborhood in that day, and is yet standing on the farm. In that the young couple began housekeeping, residing there for thirty-two years, but in 1881 a commodious frame residence was erected, in which the family still reside. Eleven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Jones, four of whom died in youth. A son, William, died unmarried at the age of twenty-eight, and a daughter, Mary, who was the wife of Henry Archer, of Yellow Spring Township, died at the age of twenty-five, leaving a daughter. The surviving children are: Robert, born April 26, 1850, married Miriam Crawford, and lives near Winfield, Iowa; Sarah E., born Aug. 7, 1853, is the wife of Thomas L. Jones, a farmer of Osage County, Kan.; Elizabeth, born May 14, 1855, wedded Cassius E. Yobe, who is a farmer in Washington Township, Des Moines County; John L., born March 19, 1862, is the husband of Sarah E. Portlock, and makes his home with his parents; David O., born Feb. 20, 1865, is unmarried, and is in a wholesale grocery house at Burlington.
When Mr. Jones first became a resident of Des Moines County the section in which he now resides was all an open prairie, very little of the land in his locality being yet entered. In was later taken up by warrants issued to soldiers of the Mexican War. For several miles north of his place to Virginia Grove in Louisa County there was not a fence, prairie fires frequently raged, and wolves and deer were often seen roaming over the prairie. At the present time, through the care and cultivation of its pioneers, this section has become one of the best of Des Moines County. Mr. Jones is known as one of he thorough-going farmers of Yellow Spring Township, and his farms and buildings give evidence of his industry, thrift and energy. As a man, a neighbor, a citizen, he stands in the front rank of the best citizens of the county.
A view of his fine residence is given on another page, and the portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Jones accompany this sketch.
Wesley Jones was born in Springfield, Ohio, on the 11th of February, 1841, and was brought to Iowa in an ambulance the same year. His father, Wesley Jones, Sr., preceded his family three years, having landed in Iowa in 1838, and while here engaged extensively in general merchandising, having stores in Burlington, Iowa City, Columbus City, Black Hawk, etc. He then returned for his family, which consisted of his wife and five children, Wesley, Jr., then being the youngest. A sketch of the family history appears under the name of his elder brother, Samuel H. Jones.
Wesley was educated in the common schools of Burlington. His father died on the 10th of May, 1849, and soon finding that his success in life would depend upon himself, Wesley accepted the first situation that offered, and made his debut as a carrier of the Hawkeye newspaper. While that paper was under the management of Clark Dunham, he learned the printer's trade, continuing in the office two years. When the Hawkeye had to wait until ten and twelve o'clock for the news by the Chicago papers, he would sit up an help to print the paper at night. Many a time he would sleep on the table in the office until the papers were out, and then fold and distribute them.
After this, he secured a situation as clerk in the dry-goods house of W. H. Postlewait, and continued there seven years, until the firm changed, he remaining with their successors, Garrett, Rhodes & Co., until they quit business. He then went into the wholesale department of J. S. Kimball & Co., representing them about one year in Western Iowa as traveling agent. At that time he received a telegram from his brother, S. H. Jones, who was then in Colorado, saying, "Now is the time; the signs are right; come to Denver at once." He immediately settled up his business with Kimball & Co., and started, taking the cars for Atchison, Kan., the starting-point for Ben Holliday's great overland express coaches. On arriving there, he found every seat engaged for a week ahead, and no chance for a passage. He went to St. Joseph, and upon going down to the corral, found a freighter, George Brown, who was just starting with a supply-train of six wagons for Denver. Brown would take no passengers, but offered to carry Wesley and his trunk, if the latter would drive the mess-wagon. The proposition was accepted, and they were twenty-one days making the trip. Upon arriving at Denver, Wesley found that Campbell & Jones had prepared and loaded a heavy train of twenty-five wagons with groceries, provisions and outfitting goods, all ready and destined for the Montana market, which he at once purchased, and having secured the services of an old pioneer, Mr. J. C. Buchanan, after spending two days in Denver, started for Virginia City, Mont., first contracting with Burroughs & Trowbridge to freight the goods from Denver to Virginia City at $20 (gold) per 100 lbs., he accompanying the train with a private mess-wagon.
Arriving at Virginia City, he made the sale of his goods to Rockafellow & Denney, Clay Thompson and others, settled up his trip venture, and returned to Denver by coach in mid-winter. Owing to the exposure, hard fare, and severity of he weather, on reaching Denver he was prostrated with ulceration of the throat, and for three weeks it was very doubtful if he would live. But he recovered; and, with his returning health, his energies for business also revived, and just as soon as he could get out he purchased another outfit, or stock of goods, of Campbell & Jones, Stebbins & Porter, and Douglas & Co., of Denver, and contracted for two trains with Jesse Taylor and Burroughs & Trowbridge, for the delivery of his goods in Virginia City, for sixteen cents per pound in gold dust, he again going out with his goods.
On reaching the Black Hills, the cattle died from eating poisonous grass and drinking alkali water, and to get his goods through, he borrowed money at five per cent a month. He got the train on its legs again, and then took the coach with Capt. Craig, Warden of the State penitentiary, and others, and started for Virginia City, meeting with terrible weather, a succession of storms, going over snows thirty or forty feet deep, stages breaking down, and being compelled to ride on a common wagon on the top of mail bags. At one time the wagon upset, and he was thrown down Silver Creek Canyon, some sixty feet, into Silver Creek. Fortunately, no bones were broken. At another time on the trip it became necessary to walk over Quaking Ash Mountain in the night, and the whole night was consumed in the effort, owing to the intense cold and great depths of snow; and had it not been that his wagon-master accompanied him, Wesley Jones never could have made the journey, but must have succumbed to the perils and hardships of the way.
While he was on this trip, he went overland to Ft. Benton, 3,200 miles up the Missouri River. It is said and recorded to have been the hardest trip ever made by the Overland Stage Company's coaches. Their supplies giving out, they were put upon rations of bacon and bread, with an occasional cup of plain coffee. In time, he returned to Virginia City, and opened up his stock of goods. After doing business there awhile, he sold out, and returned to the States in company with Gen. Barrows, of Davenport, Iowa, in a private ambulance owned by Mr. Eels, now a resident of Burlington.
` After drawing together his means and the result of his Western ventures, and being on his old stamping-ground, the book-store of J. L. Corse, deceased, was offered for sale, it then doing a business of from $18,000 to $20,000 per annum. After some figuring, Mr. Jones purchased the stock for $16,000 cash. This was in 1866. He took hold of it a greenhand, knowing nothing at all of the business, but investing the same energy and will which had proved so successful in the mountains of Montana, and with an eye to the growing demands of the country, and a determination to succeed, he built up the leading house in its special lines in the Northwest, occupying one of the finest stores and doing a business of from $250,000 to $300,000 per annum.
Mr. Jones was never married, but was always happy in his domestic relationships, living in great harmony and love with his mother and sisters. For many years he was a member of the Episcopal Church, and had reached a high place in the Masonic fraternity, having attained the thirty-second degree. He was also a member of the Knights of Pythias. His demise was mourned, not only by his relatives, but by a large circle of personal and business friends, to whom his admirable traits of character and his upright conduct had greatly endeared him. He had been a member of the Board of Trade at Burlington; and at a meeting held after his death the following preamble and resolutions were unanimously adopted:
Whereas, It has pleased an All-wise Providence to remove from our midst, by death, Wesley Jones, an honored member of the Board of Trade; It is, therefore,
Resolved, That we receive the intelligence of this event with feelings of profound sorrow. That in his death we have lost a friend and a business associate who for many years has been prominently identified with the material advancement of this county, and one whose qualities of kind heart and benevolent disposition are worthy of all imitation.
Resolved, That we tender to the bereaved family our sincere sympathy.