and Biographical Album of Des Moines County, Iowa
Frank Lawlor, civil engineer, has charge of the lines of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad in Iowa. He was employed on construction on the Bethany Branch in Missouri, and in the company's general office at Chicago from 1880 to 1883, since which time he has held his present position, with the engineering care of 857 miles of road. The subject of this sketch was born in the Province of New Brunswick, Canada, Jan. 30, 1857, and is a son of James J. and Mary A. (Ford) Lawlor, who were also natives of New Brunswick, of Irish descent, and members of the Roman Catholic Church. Frank was educated in Catholic schools of New Brunswick, and learned civil engineering in the Department of Public Works of Canada. In 1880, he came to Burlington, Iowa, engaging with the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad as engineer of construction on the Bethany Branch in Missouri, from there went to Chicago, where he was employed in the company's engineers office till 1883, when he was given his present position, with headquarters at Burlington. Mr. Lawlor has proved an efficient and competent engineer, and is highly respected by all with whom he has business or social relations. He took out citizenship papers in 1887, though he has not yet affiliated with any political party, and is consistent member of the Catholic Church.
John T. Lee, one of the well-to-do farmers of Des Moines County, Iowa, residing on section 26, Yellow Spring Township, was born near Columbus, Ind., Nov. 8, 1835, and is a son of Robert W. and Martha T. (Branham) Lee, a sketch of whose history appears elsewhere in this volume. In the spring of 1836, the parents emigrated to Louisa County, Iowa, where a farm was purchased, subsequently removing to Yellow Spring Township, Des Moines County, and upon that land Robert Lee resided until his death, and it is still in possession of his heirs. Our subject, John T. Lee, was reared, and remained until upon the old homestead until twenty-four years of age, when he rented land and began business for himself on a farm of forty acres in Louisa County. Making that his home for five years, Mr. Lee then removed to Des Moines County, where he purchased 100 acres of land on section 26, Yellow Spring Township, where he now lives, and at present is the owner of 168 acres of land in this county, together with some property in the town of Mediapolis. In 1864 the marriage of John T. Lee and Eliza J. Simpson, was celebrated. She is a native of Pennsylvania, and a daughter of J. G. Simpson, of Morning Sun, Iowa. By this union eight children have been born: William S., a farmer of Yellow Spring Township; Ida E., George W., Mattie T., Charles E., John P., Louis A. and Asenath are still residing with their parents. In 1867, Mr. Lee, in company with his brother, William H., established a general merchandise store in Mediapolis, which he continued to conduct for three years, living on the farm in the corporation limits. Mr. Lee is a Republican in politics, and strongly advocates the principles of that party, An enterprising and progressive farmer, he is numbered among the leading citizens of Yellow Spring Township. Mrs. Lee and her eldest daughter are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
deceased, was a pioneer of both Louisa and Des Moines Counties, landing first in
Burlington, April 11, 1836, and going to Louisa County, whence he removed to Des
Moines County in 1840. He was a native of Warren County, Ohio, and his
wife, whose maiden name was Martha T. Branham, was a native of Kentucky.
Mr. Lee was reared upon a farm and his whole life was spent as a tiller of the
soil. In 1836 he settled on Honey Creek, Louisa County, being the first
settler in that vicinity, and his first location in Des Moines County near
Northfield, where he had purchased some raw land from which he developed a fine
farm, and lived there until his death. Seven children were born to Mr. and
Mrs. Lee: Lavina Ann, now the wife of Alexander Watson, of Yellow Spring
Township; Lucinda, who died at the age of thirty-two years; John T., who is
engaged in farming in Yellow Spring Township near Mediapolis (see his sketch
elsewhere); M. H., also engaged in farming in that township; Martha E., wife of
William Thompson, an auctioneer and farmer residing near Mediapolis; Talitha,
wife of O. S. Green, farmer of Yellow Spring Township; and Harvey, deceased.
death of Robert W. Lee occurred in 1874. He was for many years a member of
the Baptist Church, as was also his estimable wife. A strong anti-slavery
man before the organization of the Republican party, he in 1856, when it was
formed, joined its ranks and fought under its banner the remainder of his life.
His wife survived him eleven years, her death occurring in 1885. The
memory of this couple, who for many long years were honored residents of Des
Moines County, is fondly cherished by the sons and daughters, who do honor to
H. Lee, who is
engaged in general farming on section 34, Yellow Spring Township, Des Moines
County, was born in Louisa County, Iowa, Aug. 30, 1839, and is a son of Robert
W. Lee, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere. He was reared upon his father's farm
only half a mile from the Des Moines County line, and received his education in
the district schools. In 1863, at the age of twenty-three, Mr. Lee
enlisted in the volunteer service, becoming a member of Company D, 8th Iowa
Cavalry, and serving until the close of the Rebellion. He participated in
the Atlanta campaign, during which he was under fire for eighty-six days in
succession, then, after the fall of Atlanta, was sent to Florence, Ala., his
regiment being the first to meet Hood. Later they were ordered to
Nashville, participating in the battle of Franklin, and also a two-days' fight
at the former city, and during the Wilson raid were engaged in many skirmishes. Mr. L. was hurt by the fall of a horse, and was discharged, Aug. 13, 1865, at
Macon, Ga. Returning home he carried on the farm for a year.
On the 21st of September,
1865, Mr. Lee and Sarah E. Lindsey, a native of Ross County, Ohio, were married,
and by their union one child was born, Celia, who died in infancy. Mrs.
Lee was called to her final home in 1867, and Mr. Lee was again married, Dec.
27, 1869, Miss Mary Jane Graves becoming his wife. She was born in
Bartholomew County, Ind., of which county her father, William Graves, was also a
native. Mr. and Mrs. Lee have been the parent of seven children--William
G., Robert H., Umatilla L., Henry W., James W., Jennie E., who died at the age
of three years, and Alexander T. After his marriage Mr. Lee rented a farm in
Louisa County, for one year, and later became a resident of Marion County, Iowa,
where he purchased eighty-five acres of land, and subsequently returned to his
native county, taking charge of the home farm until his father's death, which
occurred in the spring of 1874. Mr. Lee's next place of residence was at
Mediapolis, where, in connection with John T. Lee and J. Goudie, he carried on
general merchandising for three years, when, selling out, he purchased eighty
acres of land on section 34, Yellow Spring Township, where he has since resided,
engaged in general farming. He is a member of Sheppard Post, No. 157, G.
A. R., has held the office of Township Trustee, served several terms as Alderman
in Mediapolis, has been Director and Secretary of the School Board for six
years, and politically is a stalwart Republican.
Jacob Leffler, a farmer and stock-raiser residing on section 2, Union Township, and a pioneer of 1835, was born in Ohio County, W. Va., May 10, 1827. He is a son of Absalom and Margaret McClure (Mitchell) Leffler, the former a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Virginia. To them were born five sons and three daughters: Hugh M., a farmer residing near Stockton, Cal.; Susan B. is the wife of Isaac B. Leffler, who was born in Corydon, Ind., and is now quite a well-to-do business man of Stockton, Cal., where he located in 1852; our subject is third in order of birth; Richard H. died in Stockton, Cal., in April, 1876; Samuel, who wedded Miss Mary Craig, a native of Maryland, became a resident of Stockton, Cal., in 1850, and is one of its highly respected citizens; Robert died in Stockton in 1877; Sarah J. died in 1840, aged five years; Clarissa became the wife of Edward Keep, the founder of the Globe Foundry of Stockton, Cal. Four years after the death of Mr. Keep, the lady was again united in marriage, with James C. Gage, who removed to Stockton, Cal., in 1849, and has become one of the wealthy farmers and stock-raisers of that vicinity.
As before stated the Leffler family came to Des Moines County in 1835, the father pre-empting a claim of 160 acres on section 2, Union Township, adding other lands from time to time, both in Union and Flint River Townships, and at length he had one of the best farms in the county. Mr. Leffler was only permitted to enjoy his new home for about seven years, being called to his final rest in 1841. He was born in 1796, and was one of the hospitable and highly respected citizens of the community. Mrs. Leffler, who was born Jan. 31, 1799, survived her husband until June 19, 1876, dying at the age of seventy-seven years. She was a devoted member of the Presbyterian Church, and her death occurred in Oakland, Cal., and her remains now lie in the cemetery at Stockton, Cal., where she had gone to make her home with her children.
With the exception of seven years spent in California our subject has been a resident of Des Moines County since 1835. His limited education was obtained in a log school-house, so common at that early day. Until 1849 Mr. Leffler remained an inmate of the parental home, but in that year he made a trip to California being among the first emigrants to that State. He went across the plains with a mule team in company with Andrew Sturges, a brother of Gen. Sturges, and remained there two years, engaging in mining and freighting. He drove the first team of mules to Nevada City, then a mining camp. On his return home Mr. Leffler was united in marriage with Miss Sarah J. Cameron, the ceremony being performed on the 25th of November, 1851. She was born in Rockville, Ind., May 27, 1830, and is a daughter of James and Salena (Mann) Cameron. Mr. Leffler was accompanied by his young wife on his trip to California in 1851, this time the trip being made with ox teams, and in that State they resided until 1856, when they returned to the old home farm in Des Moines County, where they have lived continuously since. Mr. Leffler is now the owner of one of the best farms in the township.
To this worthy couple have been born five children: Birdie, born May 20, 1856, died in August, 1864; Frank, born July 10, 1859, died in January, 1862; Edward L., born April 27, 1866, was a twin (the other child dying when only ten weeks old), now at home with his parents; Hattie, born Dec. 30, 1869, is still residing at home. Mrs. Leffler is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Leffler has held the office of Township Trustee for two terms, and discharged the duties acceptably, and as a citizen none stands higher in esteem of the people than does our subject. He is a close observer, and has always been a great admirer of President Lincoln. He is a great lover of fine horses, and upon his farm will be found a good grade of the Hambletonian stock.
Frederick Leicht, Sexton of Aspen Grove Cemetery, Burlington, Iowa, was born at Siebeldingen, near the Rhine, Bavaria, April 9, 1831, and is a son of Peter and Philipena (Fix) Leicht. Our subject emigrated to America in 1848, landing in New Orleans, Feb. 22, of that year, and went immediately to Cincinnati, Ohio, and after remaining there for a year, removed to Louisville, Ky., where he learned the chairmaker's trade. After two years spent in that city he returned to Cincinnati, and was employed in the chair factory of John Mitchell, then the largest institution of the kind in the United States. Mr. Leicht was united in marriage at Cincinnati, March 4, 1853, with Miss Annie Marie, daughter of Theobald and Catherine (Erlenlwien) Dreher. Mrs. L. was also born at Siebeldingen. They were acquainted before she emigrated to America, having attended school together.
Two years after their marriage the young couple removed to Burlington, Iowa, but remained in the city only a short time, and then settled on a farm in Union Township, Des Moines County. Mr. Leicht was engaged in farming for seven years, and then returning to Burlington, was employed as a mechanic by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company, until the fall of 1866, when he was appointed Sexton of the Aspen Grove Cemetery, which position he has held continually since, covering a period of over twenty years.
Mr. and Mrs. Leicht have been the parents of eleven children, six sons and five daughters, and with the exception of one all are living -- Philipena Catherine, born in Ohio, Jan 7, 1854, is the wife of Fred Lichtenberg, and resides in Burlington; Henry, born in Burlington, Dec. 14, 1855, is a grocer in that city, and married Annie Burton; John W., born in Union township, Des Moines County, March 20, 1857, married Caroline Lucas, and is engaged in the grocery business with his brother; Amelia, born in Union Township, Des Moines County, June 7, 1859, is the wife of Adam Walker, of Burlington; Peter was born in Union Township, Dec. 7, 1861, married Lena Rundorff, and resides in Burlington; Matilda, born in Burlington, April 14, 1864, is the wife of William Thienes, of Fort Madison; Frederick, born Nov. 19, 1866,; Emma, Feb. 9, 1869; Bertha, born Oct. 21, 1871, died Oct. 7, 1872; Frank, born Nov. 20, 1873; and George Frederick, Sept. 30, 1875. The younger members of the family were born in the city of Burlington.
Mr. and Mrs. Leicht were reared in the Lutheran faith. As previously mentioned, Mr. Leicht has served as Sexton for a period of twenty-two years. His long continued service in that responsible position is the best possible assurance of his fidelity to the duties entrusted to his care and the high esteem in which he is held.
Henry H. Leicht, senior partner of the firm of Leicht Bros., proprietors of the "Little Market Grocery around the corner," established in 1885. This is one of the the leading grocery houses in the city, the Leicht Bros. making a specialty of first-class goods. Their stock, which is large, includes a full line of staple and fancy groceries, provisions, poultry, fish and fresh vegetables. Their trade has increased from $25,000 to $35,000 a year and is still gaining. Their location is central, No. 413 Jefferson street. They employ six men and have two wagons for the delivery of goods.
Henry H. Leicht was born at Burlington, Iowa, Dec. 14, 1855, was educated in the city schools, and married Miss Anne E. Burton, of Ft. Madison. His brother, John William, the junior partner of the firm, was born in Union Township, Des Moines Co., Iowa, March 20, 1857, was educated in the Burlington schools, and wedded Miss Caroline Lucas. Both brothers are residents of Burlington.
efficient and popular City Marshal of Burlington, Iowa, was born on the 4th of
May, 1840, in Louisville, Ky., and is a son of John G. and Kate Lemberger, who
were early settlers of this city, and whose sketch appears in this work.
Henry came with his parents to Burlington in 1841, and as soon as he had
attained sufficient age he was sent to the city schools, where he acquired a
good education. At the breaking out of the late Rebellion he enlisted in
the Iowa Lances, though it was subsequently abandoned. In 1865 he was
united in marriage with Miss Louisa Wollmann, and four children have graced this
union--Gus A., Henry W., Fred and Louisa. Mr. Lemberger was reared a Republican,
and affiliated with that party until the second election of Gen. Grant, since
which time he has voted with the Democratic party. He has held the office
of Trustee, and in 1885 was elected City Marshal, and was re-elected in 1886 and
1887. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, a Royal Arch Mason, and
also a member of the A. O. U. W. Among the number of respected citizens of
Burlington, none stands higher, or is more universally esteemed, than Mr.
Lemberger. In the discharge of all his duties he endeavors to act in
obedience to the Golden Rule. Combining caution with the desire to please,
he has made many warm friends while on duty, and has the perfect confidence of
the business men of the city and county, and in all matters of public interest
he is ready to do his part.
John G. Lemberger, deceased, one of the pioneers of Des Moines County, and a highly respected citizen, was born in Stuttgart, Germany, in 1809, and there grew to manhood, receiving a liberal education. He was apprenticed to the stonemason's trade in early life, mastering the trade, which he followed for several years after coming to America. In 1828 he crossed the Atlantic, remained for a short time in Philadelphia, and then went to Champaign County, Ohio, where he became acquainted with and married Miss Kate Birch. In 1838 he went to Louisville, Ky., and in 1841 took up his residence in Burlington, following his trade until 1864, when he began the manufacture of cigars.
After becoming an American citizen Mr. Lemberger supported the old Whig party, afterward affiliating with the Republican party, and was a candidate for County Recorder at the time of his death, which occurred in October, 1873. He was a close student, and well posted in matters pertaining to Government and State, and held several local offices of trust, as Alderman and Trustee.
Mr. and Mrs. Lemberger were the parents of ten children, five of whom are living: Henry, City Marshal of Burlington; Charles W., Assistant City Engineer of Burlington; John L., of Burlington; Minnie, wife of George M. West, of Los Angeles, Cal.; and Jacob F., also of Los Angeles. Mr. and Mrs. Lemberger were both members of the Lutheran Church, and stood high in the respect of all who knew them.
David Leonard, deceased
Too great honor can not be
paid to the pioneers who have built up Des Moines County, placing it in the
front rank of the counties of the State, and as such a pioneer, we are pleased
to record Mr. David Leonard. He was born in Washington County, Pa., March
12, 1816, and was a son of Abner and Elizabeth (Letterman) Leonard. On his
father's side he was of English ancestry, the first of the name coming to this
country with the Pilgrim Fathers. On his mother's side he was of German
ancestry. When but a lad of twelve years he emigrated with his parents to
Franklin County, Ohio, where his boyhood days were passed upon a farm. He
received a liberal education, that at the common schools being supplemented by a
course in Athens College. He resided with his parents until March 2, 1841,
when he was united in marriage with Miss Mary S. Dustin, a native of Delaware
County, Ohio, born in Galena, in that State, Aug. 24, 1821. She is the
daughter of Nathan and Ann (Carpenter) Dustin, the father a native of New
Hampshire, the mother of Lancester County, Pa. Her parents removed, about
1811, to Delaware County, Ohio, where her father was engaged in milling until
his death, which occurred in 1862. Her mother died when Mrs. Leonard was
but two years of age.
The young couple began their
domestic life in Franklin County, Ohio, remaining there until the spring of
1842, when deciding to go to the then Far West, they took up their residence in
Des Moines County, Iowa, settling on section 25, Flint River Township, where Mr.
Leonard had purchased a partly improved farm. Upon this land a small cabin
had been erected, and into this they moved, living in the pioneer style.
The now finely cultivated farm of 200 acres was then bur a wild prairie, deer
and wolves roaming over the land and everything being in an uncultivated state,
but now this is all changed. The old cabin has long since given way to a
beautiful and commodious country residence, erected in 1864, which is surrounded
by grand old shade-trees, planted by the hand of Mr. Leonard, barns and
out-buildings have been erected, and everything may be found upon the place that
is necessary to a well-regulated farm. Five children blessed the union of
Mr. and Mrs. Leonard: Howard D. sacrificed his young life upon the alter
of his country, becoming a member of Company K, 14th Iowa Infantry, and dying
while in the service at Cairo, Ill., March 18, 1862, at the age of twenty-one
years; Anna E., widow of Abner Leonard, resides with her mother; David H. died
at the age of nine years; Charles S. died when but two years old; and Lillie
died in infancy.
Mr. Leonard was an active
and devoted member of the Congregational Church, and took great interest in the
affairs of the Sunday school. In all enterprises for the public good he
was a zealous laborer, and for many years served as Trustee and President of the
School Board. A Republican in politics, he was an ardent supporter of his
party, always ready to aid in the advancement of its interests. A strong
advocate of prohibition, and a leader in temperance work, Mr. Leonard served as
chairman of the committee whose duty it was to provide speakers and lecturers
for his congressional district. He was elected a Director of the
Burlington & Northwestern Railroad, being chosen Vice President of the
company in 1878. He always took a deep interest in the railroad affairs of
the county, and was President of the proposed Burlington, Denmark &
Keosauqua Railroad. One of the organizers of the Iowa Horticultural
Society in 1866, Mr. Leonard was elected its Treasurer, holding the office for
nine consecutive years. In 1869 he was elected a delegate to the American
Pomological Society, which met that year in Philadelphia, and was one of the
original members of the Des Moines Agricultural Society, being one of the
Directors. Always a friend to education, Mr. Leonard, in June, 1875, was
named as one of the Trustees of the Iowa College, located at Grinnell, and by
the General Association of the Congregational Church of Iowa, was soon after
elected to that office for three years, and in June, 1878, was chosen permanent
Trustee. Mr. Leonard came to this county comparatively a poor man, but by
industry, economy, and the assistance of his good wife, who was truly a helpmate
to him, he gained a comfortable competence.
The worthy couple, who had
lived together for almost forty-three years, were separated by the hand of
death, Feb. 12, 1884, to be united no more until the loving wife should cross
the dark river and again meet her husband. Mr. Leonard's death was not
only mourned by his immediate family, but numerous friends felt the sorrow of
parting with a brother. He was universally honored and respected, and the
temperance, educational and church work lost in him an ardent supporter.
Mrs. Leonard still resides
on the old home place in Flint River Township, around which so many loving
associations cluster. A most estimable lady, for over thirty years she was
a member of the Congregational Church of Burlington, though now her membership
is with the same denomination in West Burlington. In the temperance work,
also, she was always associated with her husband, and for the past eight years
has been President of the W. C. T. U. of Burlington.
To none is the honor of a
representation in this record of the best citizens of Des Moines County more
truly due than to Mr. and Mrs. David Leonard, and none will be regarded with
greater interest or more carefully read and treasured. It is with pleasure
that the portrait of Mr. Leonard is given upon a preceding page.
Carl A. Leopold, General Manager of the Northwestern Furniture Company, of Burlington, Iowa, was born in this city, June 11, 1858, and is the son of Charles J. J. and Thusneld E. (Runge) Leopold, the former in Hanover, Germany, June 30, 1809, and the latter was also a native of that country. Charles Leopold grew to manhood in his native land; his early education was received in the gymnasium of Hanover, and in 1831, he went to Berlin, where he took a partial course in the University of that city. Coming to America in 1834, he first located in St. Louis, where for a short time he was interested in a dairy, and in 1839, went to Liberty, Clay Co., Mo., there embarking in the manufacture of rope. Four years latter, Mr. Leopold crossed the plains to California, taking with him 4,000 sheep, besides horses and mules, and while on the way, was overtaken by a heavy storm and a band of Indians stole some of his most valuable horses and mules, together with a shepherd dog which cost him $200. The loss of his dog was a great damage to him, it becoming almost impossible to control the sheep, and at that time there was but one bridge and one ferry between the Missouri River and California, and he was obliged to swim his stock across streams. His intention was to spend the winter in Salt Lake City, or in that vicinity, but he abandoned his plan, and completed the trip that fall. He remained in California through the winter, and the following spring returned to the East, coming by way of South America and New York. Mr. Leopold remained in Burlington till 1861, in the meantime embarking in the bakery and brewing business, and then went to Clay County, Mo., about the time of the breaking out of the late war. He enlisted in the State Militia to protect the people from the bushwhackers, and then returned to Burlington in 1878, where he has since lived a retired life.
In 1838, in St. Charles, Mo., Charles Leopold was united in marriage with Miss Thusneld E. Runge, and eight children have been born to them--Herman, Theodore, Arthur, Louisa, Annie, Matilda, Carl A., and one who died in infancy. Mr.and Mrs. Leopold have lived to celebrate their golden wedding, having passed a happy married life of half a century.
The subject of this sketch, Carl A. Leopold, received a liberal education, and is a graduate of Bryant & Stratton's Business College, of Burlington. For several years he was employed on the road as a traveling salesman, and in 1886, in company with C. W. Rand established the Northwestern Furniture Company, of which he is secretary, treasurer and general manager. In 1885, he was united in marriage with Miss Clara Starker, a daughter of Charles Starker, one of the prominent business men of Burlington. By this union there is one child, a son, Aldo R. Carl A. Leopold is a young man of splendid business ability. He is a public-spirited citizen, and, while building up his own fortune, he is aiding materially in the growth and development of Burlington.
Alvah Lindley, a farmer of Des Moines County, Iowa, residing on section 14, Danville Township, is well known in the county, and for many years has been prominently connected with agriculture and the development of Danville. He was born in Washington County, Pa. Dec. 25, 1817, and is a son of Timothy and Ruth (Axtel) Lindley, both natives of Pennsylvania. Timothy was of German ancestry, as was probably his wife, but he died when our subject was a lad eight years of age. Timothy Lindley was the father of ten children, six born to his first wife, Sarah Axtel, a sister of Ruth, the mother of our subject. Of her children none are living, but we mention the names of each: Mary wedded Jacob Clutter; Electa was the wife of John Hathaway; Marilla became the wife of Moses Patterson; Silas also married; Levi wedded a Miss Axtel; and Ira married Catherine Ryan, and after her death Ruth Jennings. Four children were born of the second union--Sarah wedded Amos Baldwin, and they were both well known residents of this county during their lifetime; our subject; and Timothy, who wedded Mary A. Sherrick, and they came to this county the same year as our subject, purchasing a farm in Pleasant Grove Township, but later removed to Bedford, Iowa, where he yet lives; Phoebe, widow of Silas Day, resides in Pennsylvania near the line between Greene and Washington Counties. The mother was the owner of a nice farm, and after the death of his father, our subject, aided by his brother Timothy, did the farming for a number of years, or until he became of age.
The marriage of Alvah Lindley was celebrated in Washington County, Pa., Oct. 21, 1841, Miss Rachel Van Scyoc becoming his wife. Her grandfather, Enoch Van Scyoc, was of German extraction, born in Westmoreland County, Pa., and his wife was Lydia Elliott. Their second son, Enoch, Jr., the father of Mrs. Lindley, married Catherine Patterson in Washington County, Pa., having there resided from his sixth year. Both himself and wife died in the same county, and there all their children were born and reared, namely: Lydia, who married Cornelius Pratt; Sarah, who wedded James Elliott and resides near Middletown, Iowa; John W. died in infancy; Enoch married Jane England; Rachel is the honored wife of our subject; Jesse M., husband of Mary Rodgers; Abraham wedded Louisa Clemens; Asenath became the wife of Louis Rodgers, and Amon married Jane Bowman.
In 1865 our subject and his family came direct to Des Moines County from their Pennsylvania home, and their first year was spent on a farm near Middletown. In 1866, Mr. Lindley purchased his present farm, at that time considered an improved one, but a tract of improved land twenty years ago looked very different from one of to-day. Everything about his farm betokens enterprise, and the farm-house, the great barns and all the really substantial improvements have been made since his coming. When we realize that Alvah Lindley had cleared away 200 acres of heavy timber in Greene County, Pa., before he left that State, it seems almost improbable that so much could be done in a score of years with most of the best of his best working days passed before the improvements were begun on the fertile plains of Iowa.
All their children, except the two eldest, were born in Greene County, Pa. The two mentioned were born in Washington County, near the birthplace of their father: Sarah C., wedded Benjamin McCosh of Henry County, Iowa; Ruth is the wife of William Kittle of Rush County, Kansas; Mary A. wedded Spencer Ritner, a grandson of Gov. Ritner of Pennsylvania; Timothy, the only son, died unmarried; Leah is house-keeper for the aged parents; Jennie is the wife of William Carden; Effie wedded William Crawford, Jr.; three other children died in infancy, and Lydia died at the age of nine years, after her parents came to Iowa. An accident happening to Mr. Lindley in the autumn of 1887, virtually renders him an invalid, although at the age of seventy he manages his farm, and is said to be a fine financier. With their children well settled in life, the knowledge of a competence for old age, which was secured by honest toil and industry, Mr. and Mrs. Lindley can both look backward upon lives well spent. Both are members of the Baptist Church at Danville, of which he is a deacon, and are people of worth and honorable citizens.
Mrs. Lindley's grandfather, John W. Patterson, was a ship carpenter by trade, and was also a Baptist minister. At the time of the Revolutionary War the family were in affluent circumstances, but were robbed by the British and Tories of all their possessions, even the shoes were taken from their feet.
George B. Little, a physician of Burlington, Iowa, was born in Henry County, Ill., April 15, 1851, and is a son of Caleb J. T. and Eliza Ann (Brooks) Little. His father was a native of New Hampshire, born in 1811, while his mother was born in 1813, in Massachusetts. Having heard very favorable accounts of the broad prairies of Illinois, Caleb Little resolved there to make his future home. In 1837, after many days' travel, he located in Henry County at a place called Wetherfield, where he built the first shop and was the first blacksmith. The following year he returned to his old home for his family, then consisting of his wife and one son, and commenced life in earnest. When he first went to Henry County he had but twenty-five cents in money and his tools, but with characteristic energy he set to work, and after a few years had accumulated enough to establish a general merchandise store, in which he was quite successful. When the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad was built through Henry County the town of Wetherfield was left a mile to the south, and Kewanee sprang into existence. Mr. Little soon removed to the latter place, and again embarked in a general merchandise store, as a member of the firm of Little, Perkins & Co. Possessing more than ordinary business ability, honest and upright in all his dealings, his enterprises were always successful, and he accumulated a comfortable competence.
Eight children were born to Caleb Little and his estimable wife: Charles, who represented his district in the Legislature, and is a successful physician of Manhattan, Kan., was Assistant Surgeon in the 19th Illinois Infantry, and participated in the march to the sea, and in the grand review at Washington; Ellen is the wife of George W. Perkins, a successful farmer and stock-raiser of Fremont County, Iowa; Sarah J. is the wife of Dr. J. F. Todd, of Chicago; Harriet, deceased wife of Rev. John Griffin, whose home is in Texas; William C. is an attorney at law and real-estate agent, of Wichita, Kan., where he has accumulated a large property; Eliza A., wife of Frank Reid, a prominent farmer of Henry County, Ill.; George B., of this sketch; and John J., a dental surgeon of Burlington.
In early life Mr. Little was a Jackson Democrat, but afterward affiliated with the Whigs, and later was one of the stanch Abolitionists. He was always a friend to education, and is liberal in his support of educational institutions. He and his wife are members of the Congregational Church, of Kewanee, Ill.
George B. Little, the subject of this sketch, received a liberal education in the schools of Kewanee, and afterward took a partial course at the State Agricultural College, at Manhattan, Kan. In 1870 he commenced reading medicine in the office of Dr. Todd, at Kewanee, and subsequently attended lectures at Rush Medical College, Chicago, from which noted institution he was graduated in the class of '73. After completing his studies he immediately came to Burlington, where he has since been constantly engaged in the practice of his profession. He has been eminently successful, and has gained a reputation which many an older physician might well envy. he is a member of the Des Moines County Medical Society, in which he has filled several position, and as a citizen, he is held in high esteem for his sterling worth and upright character.
In 1874, at Kewanee, Ill., Dr. Little was united in marriage with Miss Esther M. Palmer, a daughter of G. N. Palmer. She was born in Henry County, Ill., in 1854, and they are the parents of four children--Palmer J., Lulu B., Etta Floy and George B., Jr. The Doctor and his wife are members of the Congregational Church, of Burlington.
John J. Little, D.D.S., a popular dentist of Burlington, Iowa, was born in Kewanee, Henry County, Ill., Feb. 8, 1857, and is a son of Caleb and Eliza A. (Brooks) Little. His father was born in Salem, N. H., and was a lineal descendant of George Little, a member of the old Plymouth Colony, and one of the historic pilgrims who landed from the Mayflower on the Massachusetts coast. His mother was born in Groton, Mass., and descended from an old New England family of Scotch and Irish ancestry.
Dr. Little received a liberal education, and entered upon a study of dentistry. He took his first course of lectures at the State University of Michigan in 1878, and the following year opened a dental office at Burlington, Iowa, where he has been in practice continuously since, except the months employed in his second course of lectures, taken at the State University of Iowa, where he graduated in the class of '87. He is also a member of the Iowa State Dental Society.
Dr. Little was married at Burlington, Iowa, on 6th June, 1882, to Miss Alice L. Shirley, daughter of Dudley Shirley. Mrs. Little was born at Syracuse, N. Y. They have two daughters, Eva and Alice. Dr. and Mrs. Little are members of the Congregational Church. The doctor is a Republican in politics, but has neither time nor inclination for official service, preferring to devote his undivided attention to the practice of his profession, in which he has established a reputation for skill and good work second to none in the city.
Carl Lohmann, Clerk of the Township and of the Police Court of Burlington, was born in Brunswick, Germany, Oct. 17, 1845, and there grew to manhood, receiving his education in Wolfenbuettel College, graduating from that school at the age of nineteen. Not wishing to be dependent on his father, soon after finishing his education he began to consider the best means of making a living, and having a friend in New York City, he opened correspondence with him, and was advised to come to America. Acting upon this advice, he crossed the Atlantic, and landed in New York, Nov. 7, 1864, but not finding what he wanted, he came West, remaining in Lee County, Iowa, for a short time. Hearing of an opening in Burlington, he came to this city, and engaged to teach the German school, managed by the German Evangelical Church, and remained in that employment for five years. Mr. Lohmann then accepted a position as assistant teacher in the German-American school, and was subsequently promoted to principal. In 1878, going to Fort Madison, he was there teacher of German in the public schools for two years, but in 1880 he returned to Burlington, where he started a select school, but later had to abandon this on account of failing health, and was advised by his physician to take a position on the road as traveling salesman. For the past five years he has been connected with the Burlington (Iowa) Tribune as correspondent, which position he still holds. In 1855 Mr. Lohmann was appointed as Township Clerk to fill the vacancy of W. E. Burke, now County School Superintendent, and in the fall of 1886 he was elected to the office. The appointment as Clerk of the Police Court was received from Judge Fleming in December, 1886.
Socially, Mr. Lohmann is a member of the Knights of Pythias, organized the lodge in Burlington, and also the one in Fort Madison, and has filled all the chairs and represented the lodge in the Grand Lodge. He is a charter member of the A. O. U. W. lodge, and was its first master workman. In politics he is one of the stanch Democrats, and is a man well posted on all topics of the day, a thorough scholar in German and music, of good address, and stands high in the community.
On the 1st of November, 1865, Carl Lohmann was united in marriage with Miss Dora Schaper, a native of Prussia, and by this union are eight children--Carl H., Lulu, William C., Carrie E., Thea L., Henry (deceased), Nettie and Harry.
Mr. Lohmann's parents were Carl and Frederick (Reese) Lohmann, who emigrated to America Nov. 27, 1865, and located upon a farm in Flint River Township, where the father died Aug. 12, 1870. His wife is still living.
Uriah Loper, of Mediapolis, Des Moines County, Iowa, has been a resident of this county since 1842. He is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Lycoming County in 1826, and is a son of William and Frances (Domina) Loper, both of whom were natives of the same State. In 1832 his parents moved to Putnam County, Ind., where at the age of fourteen Uriah was apprenticed to the cabinet-maker's trade, serving two years, from 1840 to 1842. His father having emigrated to this county in 1840, he also concluded to make it his home, and, as soon as his two years of apprenticeship had expired, he started for the West, making his home in Yellow Spring Township, where his father had purchased a farm.
Uriah Loper worker at the carpenter's trade in different parts of the county until 1847; and on November 30, of that year, he was united in marriage with Miss Rhodie Todd, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of Jonah and Amanda (Williams) Todd, the father a native of Pennsylvania, and the mother of New Jersey. After his marriage in 1849, Mr. Loper removed to Burlington, and engaged in the carpenter's trade until the spring of 1873, when he purchased and lived upon a farm in Flint River Township. Residing upon that purchase until 1881, he then removed to the village of Mediapolis, where he yet lives. He is the owner of considerable property, having forty acres of land within the city limits, besides a neat residence, built in 1886, and also two other houses.
Mr. and Mrs. Loper have reared a family of eight children: Ezra, a resident of Mediapolis; Simeon, residing in Putnam County, Mo.; Mary is still with her parents; George, residing in Wabaunsee County, Kan.; William is still living at home; John, who lives in Greeley, Colo.; Charles and Emory, still inmates of the paternal home.
Mr. Loper has been a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church since the age of fifteen, and at present is Steward and Class-Leader of the same in Mediapolis. His wife is a member of the Baptist Church, to which her parents had belonged. Politically, Mr. Loper is a Republican, and he was a strong advocate of Abolition principles before the organization of his party. He was elected a member of the City Council of Burlington while living in that city, serving two terms, in 1859 and 1860, with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of his constituents. He is a man of strong convictions, outspoken in what he believes to be right, and is a radical prohibitionist, believing in the strict enforcement of the temperance laws. For almost a half-century Mr. Loper has been a respected citizen of Des Moines County, and it is with pleasure we present his sketch in this record of her most worthy citizens.
William Loper, the father of Uriah, came to this county as stated in 1840, settling in Yellow Spring Township, where he purchased a farm upon which he lived for many years, finally selling it, and buying one in Huron Township, upon which he lived till his death, which occurred in 1873, at the age of seventy-three years. His wife preceded him to her final rest many years, departing this life in Indiana in 1838, at the age of thirty-three years.
The father of Mrs. Loper, Jonah Todd, was a native of Pennsylvania, and one of the pioneer settlers of Des Moines County of 1837, locating on a farm near Sperry, which he subsequently sold and removed to Monroe County, Iowa, where he lived for about four years, when he sold the property he had purchased there, and thereafter lived with his children, dying at the residence of his son Alvin, in Jamestown, Benton Township, Des Moines County, in 1865, aged seventy-five years. Mr. Todd was an ordained minister of the Presbyterian Church in his younger days, but later he became a member of the Baptist Church, preaching for that denomination many years, and in that faith was one of the pioneer ministers in this county. His wife, Amanda (Williams) Todd, departed this life in 1876, at the age of eighty-four years. Of their twelve children five are now living: Clarissa, wife of Benjamin Stahl, Justice of the Peace of Mediapolis; Miles, now a resident of La Harpe, Ill.; Robert, residing in Nebraska City, Neb.; Eli, who lives in Burlington; and Rhodie, wife of Uriah Loper. Mr. and Mrs. Jonah Todd were both well known and highly respected throughout the entire county.
Among the prominent farmers of Huron Township is Mr. Loper, who resides on section 26. He is a native of Preble County, Ohio, born in 1823, and a son of Daniel and Lucy (Rutty) Loper, the father a native of New Jersey, the mother of Pennsylvania. The paternal grandfather, Uriah Loper, was also a native of New Jersey, though born of English parents. He was a millwright by trade, and emigrated to Pennsylvania, where he resided until his death. There were four sons in his family: Daniel, the father of our subject; William, the father of Uriah Loper of Mediapolis, Des Moines County; Uriah and Jephthah.
Daniel was reared upon a farm, educated at the common schools, and at the age of twenty-one was united in marriage. About the year 1821 he emigrated to Ohio where he made his home until 1827, and then took up his residence in Putnam County, Ind., where he improved a large farm. He was among the pioneer settlers of that county, and there resided for ten years. Once more he traveled westward, this time locating in Des Moines County, Iowa, upon a farm in Franklin Township, which he greatly improved, and there resided until his death, which occurred in 1876, aged seventy-six years. His wife, who was a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, survived him some three years. Mr. and Mrs. Loper reared a family of twelve children, all of whom reached maturity. Franklin, a retired farmer residing in Council Bluffs, Iowa; Clarissa, widow of Elias Larkin, whose home is near Dodgeville, Iowa; Rhoda, wife of William Rouse of Sheridan, Iowa; Washington died at the age of fifty-one, in Franklin Township, Des Moines County; W. H., our subject; Dorcas, wife of John Hixson of Mediapolis; W. R. of Benton Township; Rebecca, deceased wife of Joseph King; Lucy Ann, deceased wife of Jeremiah Nolan; Mary, who wedded Sydney Sherwood of Keokuk County, Iowa; Salinda, deceased wife of Henry Cassing; Maria, widow of George Dashman, married Samuel Dowling of West Burlington.
William H. Loper was reared upon a farm, and his whole life has been spent as a tiller of the soil. His earlier years being spent in new countries, his educational advantages were consequently limited. At the age of twenty-one he left his father's home and purchased a farm for himself, but in 1848 enlisted in an independent company of volunteers for the Mexican War, under James M. Morgan. The company was sent north to take the place of Regulars who went to the front, and after serving eight months Mr. Loper returned home. In 1850 he was united in marriage with Laura H. Thompson, native of Indiana, and a daughter of Thomas Thompson. The young couple began their domestic life upon a farm of eighty acres, which Mr. Loper had purchased and partially improved prior to his enlistment in the army. He immediately began the cultivation of his land and resided upon that farm for sixteen years, when he removed to section 26, Huron Township. He purchased 160 acres of raw land, upon which he still makes his home, though he now has one of the finely cultivated farms of the township.
Thirteen children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Loper: Josephine died at the age of sixteen years; Perry died at the age of nineteen years; Jennie is engaged in dressmaking business in Sterling, Neb.; Dennis, now of Granada, Colo.; Leroy, now a resident of Sterling, Neb.; Nelson, a medical student at Ann Arbor, Mich.; Emma, wife of James Larkin of Barton County, Kan.; Miles, a farmer living near Sterling, Neb.; Clark, Albert, Howard and Minnie are still inmates of the paternal home, and Frankie died in infancy. Since seventeen years of age Mr. Loper has been a professor of religion, and for twenty years he has served as a Deacon of the Pisgah Baptist Church, at Sperry, in this county. His wife united with the church when fourteen years of age. Politically, Mr. Loper is a Republican, and strongly favors the strict enforcement of the prohibition laws. He served as Trustee of Huron Township for sixteen years, and is one of the self-made men and respected citizens of Des Moines County.
F. B. Lowery, a resident of Burlington, Iowa, was born near Winchester, Frederick County, Va., Nov. 6, 1815. His mother dying when he was but ten years old, he was cast upon the cold world, receiving unkind treatment for six years from a family with which he lived. At the age of sixteen he began learning the blacksmith's trade, and during his apprenticeship or the six years previous he never attended a day at school. He learned his trade at Newtown, with a certain Mr. Fraley, with whom he lived for eighteen months, and then went to Winchester, where he worked six months at the rate of $6.50 per month. Leaving there, he went to John Bell's, in Rockingham County, Va., and helped make and frame threshing machines during the summer, and in the fall running one, until December. Mr. Lowery then went to his uncle Daniel's in that county, boarding there and attending school until in June. At that time, a man came into the neighborhood from Hardin County, sixty miles west, wishing to engage a blacksmith, and hiring with him, together they rode over the mountains to Petersburg, a small town on the North Shenandoah River. During his stay of two years in that place he made considerable money by the buying and selling of horses. Leaving there on horseback, he went to Newark, Ohio, and finding his father's finances in a bad condition, he gave him all the money he then had ($300), to buy a grocery store. Selling his horse for $250, he was to receive fifty dollars down and the rest in payments; but the man becoming insane and setting fire to his store, our subject lost the balance of his money. While Mr. Lowery was in Newark, a Methodist revival was being carried on, which he attended regularly, going to the mourner's bench nearly every evening for six weeks, with the determination to get religion, but all to no avail, and so he gave up in despair. Seeing young men who went up to the mourner's bench, shouting and professing religion, performing acts that he would not do even while not a professed Christian, greatly disgusted him, and he tried to lead the life of an infidel, having no belief in the Bible. These meetings becoming so odious to him, Mr. Lowery resolved to leave the town, and with his clothes and eleven dollars in money, boarded a canal-boat and started for the Ohio River, landing at Portsmouth, Ohio. Seeing nothing inviting in that town, Mr. Lowery took the boat for Cincinnati, remained there with step-brother G. B. Wallace, until the following Monday morning, and then started on for the West, with his saddle-bags full of clothes, and carrying a heavy overcoat. Arriving at the little town of Harrison, in Hamilton County, he there procured work at his trade with the firm of Rood & Smith.
In relation to his religious experience, we can not do better than to quote his own words: "As I was approaching the town, I overtook a small boy. My mind was still worked up to the highest pitch, trying to denounce the Bible and all religion. Accosting the little boy, I asked if there were any religious bodies in the town, and he answered "Yes." I then asked "What are they?" He replied, "Methodist, Presbyterian and Camelites." In astonishment, I inquired what kind of people they were--"Have they got humps on their backs?"--this being the first time I had ever heard the name. It so happened that the people of this strange body whom I heard were very jealous and earnest in the cause, always discussing the subject with everyone that would stop to hear, and I was often a silent listener to their discussions. The following Sunday, with one of my shop-mates, I went five miles into the country to attend the services held by these people. I was a stranger in a strange place, and heard, for the first time, this new doctrine preached by a young man by the name of Campbell. He had a large head, black eyes, coarse, stiff, black hair, and a coarse sonorous voice, possessing great logical powers and a profound knowledge of the Scriptures. I listened with earnest attention, and before he was through my skepticism was almost gone; but after him arose an old man just out of the Calvinist school, that spoiled all that had been said, as he was not yet out of Ashdod. The following Friday evening a protracted meeting was commenced at the church in town where I attended. Each evening I became more convinced of the truth of the Scriptures, and on Monday, June 29, 1838, was buried by baptism, in the likeness of Christ's burial, in White Water, in the State of Indiana, just over the State line."
While in this place, Mr. Lowery met the lady who afterward became his wife. While standing in the church door after the services were over, looking over the audience, he caught the eye of the lady, and turning to his shop-mate inquired who she was, and whether she was married. He received a negative reply to the latter question, and to the former the reply was, Miss Catherine Jolly. Mr. Lowery remarked that he would see her before the sun went down, and, by chance, they took dinner at the same house. They were introduced, became fast friends, took a walk together, and, finding his love reciprocated, they became engaged, and were made man and wife June 6, 1838. The young couple remained in Harrison until October, 1839, when they started for Iowa. Their first babe was born on the 3d of May, prior to the commencement of their journey, and on the way it took sick, dying the second day after reaching Iowa. The journey was made overland in a four-horse wagon, the family being accompanied by a young man, Tom Wallace, making the trip in eighteen days, over corduroy roads, deep ravines and broad prairies, landing at Burlington, Oct. 29,1839. Forty acres of land were purchased in Lee County for five dollars per acre, payable in one year, with ten per cent interest. Mr. Lowery's cash capital consisted of $6.75, and this he paid on his farm. Before a year had passed away, by his skill and enterprise, seventeen acres had been broken and fenced, corn cribs, a stable, a blacksmith shop and a cabin had been built, and the remainder of the farm was paid for. The farm was paid for in this manner: Mr. Lowery worked for his neighbors, and for every twenty-five cents' worth of work done he received a bushel of corn, paid for its hauling to Ft. Madison, and sold it for twenty cents per bushel. Mr. Lowery remained on this farm for two years, and during this time had only $10, most of which was spent for postage, as at that time each letter cost twenty-five cents.
Mr. and Mrs. Lowery were the parents of twelve children, three of whom died in infancy; and, later the eldest son and a daughter, both of whom were married and had reared families, died. Those living are Austin P., an attorney in Bird City, Kan.; Oscar W., a physician of Grand Junction, Iowa; Jennie became the wife of Samuel Diven, a resident of Burlington; Loreta C., wife of Albert Neff, is a resident of Middleton, Idaho; Celesta A., who wedded Jerry Harris, a farmer near Morehead, Kan.; Horace A., a physician of Sperry, Iowa; Wilbur R., a resident of Montana; Oliver H., the eldest, died, and left a family of three children; Emma E., deceased wife of William Willhoyt, a resident of Louisville, Ky.
Mr. Lowery continued to work at his trade for a period of twenty-five years, and was very successful. From time to time he purchased more land, until he once had more than 500 acres. He took special pride in educating his children, two of his sons being graduates of the college at Syracuse, N. Y., one son is a noted lawyer, two sons graduated at the medical college at Keokuk, and are now practicing physicians, and the daughters attended the Denmark Academy. Among those who so gallantly defended their country during the late war, were three of Mr. Lowery's sons, one of whom served four years, and the others three years each, and all were wounded while in service. Two of his brothers, and two of his wife's brothers were also in the Union Army. In 1857, Mr. Lowery removed from Lee County to Des Moines County, where he operated a sawmill for twenty years and also engaged in farming. Moving to Burlington in 1876, he has lived here continuously since, his children are all married and gone, and he and his wife are alone. They are both hale and hearty for their years, he being seventy-three and his wife sixty-nine. Mr. Lowery has never been sick to any great extent, and attributes his good health to his regular habits. He is strictly temperate, abstaining from all liquors and tobacco. For forty-nine years he has preached the gospel of Christ, and has always given his aid and influence in the development of the proud State of Iowa. He is a Republican in politics, a friend to all educational matters, and a great worker in the temperance cause.
Mr. Lowery is a son of William and Nancy (Long) Lowery, both of whom were natives of England. Mrs. Lowery was born June 17, 1819, in Harrison, Ohio, and is a daughter of Lewis and Lucinda (Ashby) Jolly, the father, a native of New Jersey, of Scotch and German parentage, and the mother of Virginia, of English and Irish ancestry.
Dr. Horace A. Lowery, a prominent physician of Sperry, Des Moines Co., Iowa, was born in Lee County, Iowa, Feb. 3, 1853, and is a son of the Rev. F. B. and Catherine (Jolly) Lowery, whose sketch appears upon another page of this work. The early life of our subject was spent in attending the schools of Ft. Madison during the winter and working upon the farm during the summer, until the age of seventeen, when he attended two terms at the Ft. Madison Academy. In 1871 he began the study of medicine with his brother, Dr. O. W. Lowery, a prominent physician of Grand Junction, Greene Co., Iowa, though, during his school days, he had been studying and reading about his chosen profession. After remaining with his brother for one year, Mr. Lowery attended the Keokuk Medical School during 1874-75, graduating from that institution in the spring of 1876. Locating at Weaver, Lee County, the Doctor immediately entered upon the practice of his profession, but after remaining there for one year came to Sperry, where has since made his home. A careful student, he has made a successful physician, and, though so young, has gained a practice which many an older doctor might envy. He has already gained the confidence and good will of the people of that community by his strict and careful attention to his profession, and a bright future lies before him.
On the 17th day of October, 1876, Dr. Lowery was united in marriage with Miss Carrie Hewitt, who was born in Indianola, Iowa, April 22, 1856, and is a daughter of Joseph C. and Sarah A. (Cora) Hewitt, both of whom were natives of Ohio, from which State they moved to Indiana, later becoming residents of Indianola, and prior to the breaking out of the Rebellion moved to Des Moines County, Iowa. On the President's call for troops Joseph C. Hewitt immediately responded, enlisting in the 1st Iowa Cavalry, which was organized at Burlington, and mustered into the United States service May 3, 1861. After serving his term of enlistment--three years--he re-enlisted May 5, 1865. He was taken sick, his failing health being caused by exposure during his long service, and his death occurred at Little Rock, Ark. Like so many others, Mr. Hewitt nobly, willingly and cheerfully laid down his life in defense of the flag that now floats so proudly over our united Nation. Words are feeble in expressing the gratitude due to those gallant, unfortunate comrades, and weak in acknowledgment of the honor with which their names are held in remembrance by those whom they died to benefit. May their names be handed down from generation to generation; may their children and children's children speak of them and recount their deeds with reverence, inspired by admiration of their noble sacrifice. May their suffering, their death, and their rude burial upon the hot and dusty battle-fields of the South all tend to strengthen the land they died for and make patriotism's watchword "Tis sweet and honorable to die for one's country." While we write the story of heroism of fathers, brothers and sons, let us not forget that vast host of loyal women who said, Go, and may God protect you and our Nation." Let us tell of the devotion of these women, who, while their hearts were bleeding, smiled farewell, lest the soldier be disheartened--tell of the long weeks of anguish which followed the departure of the loved one, and write of the deeds of bravery that have never been told; for does not the grief-stricken widow and orphan merit a share in the volume of praise? It was not until 1882 that Mrs. Hewitt was called to that other shore to meet her noble husband, her death occurring in Burlington.
Two children bless the union of Dr. and Mrs. Lowery--Birdie F. and Meda May. Mrs. Lowery has been a consistent member of the Baptist Church from early childhood. Socially, Mr. Lowery is a member of Diamond Lodge, No. 326, I. O. O. F., of Sperry, and, politically, is an ardent advocate of the principles of the Republican party. In all public enterprises and interests the Doctor is an active and energetic worker, and among the highly respected people of the community none rank higher than he and his estimable wife.
Conrad Lutz, commercial printer, engraver and book-binder, established business at Burlington, Iowa, in 1879, and occupies the three floors of No. 117 Jefferson street: he operates five steam presses in his business, two cylinders and three jobbers, also does art printing by the new photo process, and employs from ten to twelve men.
Conrad Lutz was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, Jan. 4, 1852, and is a son of John C. and Lena Lutz. The family emigrated from Germany to America in 1853, and came direct to Burlington, where Conrad was educated in the public schools of the city, and served a regular apprenticeship to the printing trade. He possesses a thorough knowledge of the details of all departments of his establishment, and has now been in business nine years, during which time he has won a reputation for good work and fair dealing, and has built up a fine business.
On the 1st of July, 1873, in Burlington, Iowa, the marriage of Mr. Lutz and Miss Fiona E. Turner, daughter of James Turner of this city, was celebrated. Four children blessed their union, three sons and a daughter: James Maurice, who died Nov. 22, 1886, aged nine years; Albert, Robert Conrad and Lena Katherine, all born in Burlington. Mr. and Mrs. Lutz are members of the First Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Republican in politics, and socially, a member of Phoenix Lodge No. 142, A. O. U. W., and of Flint Hills Lodge No. 39, K. of P.
Robert Lynn, a prominent farmer and stock-raiser residing on section 32, Flint River Township, Des Moines Co., Iowa, was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., Dec. 6, 1821, and is a son of James and Hester (Thompson) Lynn, both of whom were also natives of Pennsylvania. They were the parents of twelve children, four of that number now deceased--William, Jacob, George and David. Those living are Margaret, widow of Richard Scott, who is a resident of Ohio; John, a retired farmer of Wabash County, Ind.; our subject, who is third in order of birth; Matthew, a resident farmer of Wabash County, Ind.; James, also a farmer and stock-raiser of that county; Francis A., a Presbyterian minister located in Wabash, Ind.; Susan J., residing with Matthew; Richard, a farmer of Decatur County, Kan. The parents of these children removed to Indiana, settling near Rising Sun, and after residing there for two years went to Warren County, Ohio. They made that their home for ten years and then once more removed, going to Preble County. In that county the early life of our subject was spent. He received his education in the district schools, and on the 8th of March, 1843, wedded Miss Mary Freel, a daughter of John and Hannah (Thatcher) Freel. The young couple removed to Wabash County, Ind., in 1843. Mr. Lynn's parents also became residents of the county, they living in the town of Wabash, but later they removed to Carroll County, Ind., where they resided upon a farm. Some time after James Lynn again returned to the former county on account of the failing health of his son Richard, and while there was taken sick, and died Jan. 5, 1866. John Lynn was born Oct. 24, 1797. His wife, who was born May 12, 1798, survived him one year, dying March 13, 1867, and was buried by the side of her husband in the cemetery near Wabash.
Robert Lynn, our subject, was a resident of Wabash County, Ind., for twenty years. During this time, on the 22d of January, 1853, Mrs. Lynn, who was a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was called to her final rest. She was the mother of three children, one son and two daughters--James, deceased; Elizabeth, deceased, and Susan J., wife of Reuben Reece, a merchant of Penn, Mich. Mr. Lynn was again married, Aug. 4, 1853, Mrs. Rebecca McGriff becoming his wife. She was born Dec. 8, 1821, and is a daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth (Sutton) Gard. Three children were born to them, two sons and a daughter: Levi, residing at home; Robert R., a resident farmer of Meade County, Kan.; Ellen, wife of Henry J. Beahrens, a lumber merchant of Buffalo, Mo. By her first marriage Mrs. Lynn was the mother of five children: Elizabeth, wife of Willam Huff, a liveryman of Downs, Kan.; Rachel, wife of William Fordyce, an express agent of Wabash County, Ind.; Patrick, a member of the 89th Indiana Regiment, under J. J. Smith, is a resident of Monroe, Iowa; Perry, a resident farmer of Warren County, Iowa, and also a member of the 89th Indiana Volunteers, and was wounded at the battle of Pleasant Hill; Martin, a farmer of Washington County, Kan.
After having resided in Wabash County, Ind., for twenty years, Mr. Lynn decided to remove to Iowa, and took up his residence on section 32, Flint River Township, Des Moines County, where he has a most excellent farm. Everything about the place denotes thrift and industry, the barns and out-buildings are models of convenience, all modern improvements have been made, and now 176 acres of fine land pay tribute to his care and cultivation. Mr. and Mrs. Lynn have been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church for forty-three years. They give liberally for all Church work, and aided greatly in building the first church in Wabash County, Ind., where Mr. Lynn was numbered as the fourth resident in that county. He has been an ardent supporter of the Republican party, and as a citizen stands second to none. In all public enterprises for the good of the community this worthy couple are always ready to do their share, willingly and cheerfully they aid those in need, and are respected by all who know them.
William Lyon, one of the incorporators of the Burlington Lumber Company, and superintendent of the milling department since its formation, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Washington County, May 11, 1847. He was the only child of Harvey and Jane (McMillan) Lyon. His mother dying at the age of twenty-four years, his father again married, making Miss Lydia Cheeseman his wife. Harvey Lyon was born in Washington County, Pa., Sept. 4, 1819, and was of an old and highly respected family, and his father, the paternal grandfather of our subject, was of English descent, and a soldier in the War of 1812. The family was first established in the New World in New Jersey, and removed to Pennsylvania prior to the Revolution. Gen. Lyon, the hero of the battle of Wilson's Creek, was descended from the same line of ancestry. Mr. Lyon's maternal grandfather, the Rev. John McMillan, was a distinguished divine of Presbyterian faith, and was of Scotch-Irish descent. It is well authenticated that he was the first established Presbyterian minister west of the Alleghany Mountains, and that he had the honor of being the founder of Jefferson College, of Washington County, Pa., and of Chartiers and Pigeon Creek Churches, all historic institutions. His first sermon was delivered at Chartiers Church, near Cannonsburg, Aug. 25, 1775. The McMilllan family was founded in America by William and Margaret (Rea) McMillan, who emigrated from the North of Ireland in 1742, and settled at Fagg's Manor, in Chester County, Pa, where they remained till called away by death. They were both buried in the Chartiers Church cemetery, in Washington County, Pa. They were strict Presbyterians, and many of their descendants have won distinction in the pulpit and other public service.
William Lyon, the subject of this sketch, when between fourteen and fifteen years of age, threw aside his school books and enlisted in the late war, in September, 1862, as drummer boy of Company H, 18th Pennsylvania Militia. He participated in the battle of Antietam, and re-enlisted in the 4th Tennessee Pioneer Corps, in his former capacity, and took part in the battle of Franklin, and the second battle of Nashville. His service continued until the close of the war, when he was mustered out in the early part of 1865. Having a natural talent for the use of mechanical tools, Mr. Lyon had been familiar with their use from childhood, and prior to entering the service, had acquired considerable mechanical knowledge under the direction of his father, who was an expert millwright.
On returning from the war Mr. Lyon worked at that trade till December, 1866, when he started for the West, and located in Burlington, Iowa. On coming to this city he engaged in contracting and building, in which occupation he was employed several years, during which time he constructed a great number of fine business blocks and dwellings, among which may be mentioned the Donahue & McCosh iron store, Bodaman's Block, the Glazeby factory, Donahue, McCosh & Co.'s marble store, the O'Brien and Valentine Gauer Blocks, and also the fine residences of Benjamin Hall, Col. Higby, N. S. Young, Robert Donahue, and many others. He was also engaged in the manufacture of sash, doors and blinds, which business he sold out, and in January, 1877, joined Messrs. Rand, Carson and others in the incorporation of the Burlington Lumber Company, one of the most important lumber firms on the central Mississippi, with which he has since been prominently identified as superintendent of the manufacturing department.
Mr. Lyon was united in marriage, in August, 1866, in Washington County, Pa., with Miss Margaret A. Barkley, a native of Washington County, Pa., and daughter of Hugh Barkley. Five children were born to them, three sons and two daughters--John McMillan, a student of Fairfield College, Iowa; William Edgar, Lydia Bell, Charles and Catherine Elizabeth. Mr. and Mrs. Lyon, with the three elder children, are members of the Presbyterian Church, with which Mr. Lyon has been prominently identified since his residence in the city. He served as President of the Building Committee during the erection of the fine new church edifice of that denomination.
In political sentiment he was in early life a Democrat, though now an Independent, and his tastes have never led him to seek political preferment, but rather the more congenial pursuits of legitimate business. He is a member of Matthias Post, No. 5, G. A. R., and of Washington Lodge, No. 1, I. O. O. F. Mr. Lyon is a practical business man, a master mechanic, and possesses a vigorous energy, combined with a genial, kindly manner, that makes him eminently successful and popular as a manager. As a citizen, husband and father, he is unpretending, upright, kind and true, and is well deserving the high estimation in which he is held. On the liquor question he is an outspoken Prohibitionist, always having the courage of his convictions.