and Biographical Album of Des Moines County, Iowa
John W. Talbott, one of the leading farmers of Yellow Spring Township, Des Moines County, Iowa, residing on section 27, is a native of Putnam County, Ind., born March 9, 1832, and is a son of Aquilla and Emily (Gregory) Talbott, both of whom were natives of Kentucky. The father emigrated to Indiana about 1830, he being one of the pioneer settlers, and there in the forest he developed a farm, which was the home of the family until 1842, when they again became pioneers of a new country, this time settling in Des Moines County, Iowa, where Mr. Talbott purchased an unimproved farm of section 32, Yellow Spring Township. This land he improved and made his home until 1855, when he returned to Indiana, and while there was taken sick with cholera and died. He was a man of strong convictions, and always took a lively interest in public affairs and political questions. The widow still survives him, and now resides with a daughter in Franklin Township, at the age of eighty-four. They were both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and reared a family of nine children, namely: Nancy, wife of E. G. Archer, a prominent farmer and stock-raiser of Yellow Spring Township; J. W., the subject of this sketch; Asa, a resident farmer of Clarke County, Iowa; Robert, who died at the age of twenty-four years; George, a farmer of Yellow Spring Township; Edward, engaged in farming in Jackson County, Ore.; Luther, a farmer in Washington Township; Mary became the wife of John Ibbitson, also a farmer of Yellow Spring Township; Armilda, widow of John Thomas, resides in Franklin Township, and her mother makes her home with her.
J. W. Talbott was eared on a farm, and his whole life has been spent in tilling the soil. In 1854, when twenty-two years of age, he was united in marriage with Jane Gaudy, a native of New York, and a daughter of Gilbert and Sarah (Martin) Gaudy. Her father was a native of Scotland, but came to Canada when a young man, later took up his residence in New York, where he was married, and in 1837 came to Des Moines County, settling on a farm in Franklin Township, where he passed the remainder of his life. His death occurred in 1874, at the age of seventy-eight years. His wife survived him until 1878, she being sixty-five years of age at the time of her death. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Talbott: Melville C., now a farmer of Cass County, Iowa; Hamilton, a farmer of Pottawattamie County, Iowa; Charles, a farmer of the same county; William, John E., Oscar and Bertha, yet residing with their parents. In politics Mr. Talbott is a Democrat. Financially, he is a self-made man, and through his own efforts has gained a comfortable competence. In 1856 Mr. Talbott purchased eighty acres of partially improved land on section 27, Yellow Spring Township and there he yet resides, though he is now the owner of 237 acres. He has made a specialty of raising fine horses of the Hambletonian stock, keeping a fine specimen of that breed, and aims to have fine roadsters on hand for sale at all times. He is a systematic farmer, and one of the pioneer settlers of Des Moines County, having become a resident in 1842, and now for almost half a century has witnessed its growth and development, its progress and civilization, is thoroughly identified with its interests, and is highly esteemed by those of its people who know him.
James Taylor, one of the prominent pioneers of Des Moines County, settling in Burlington in 1838, was born near Belfast, Ireland, in 1812, and there grew to manhood, receiving his education in the common schools of his native land. In 1832 he was united in wedlock with Miss Lutitia Wightman, and the following year the young couple bade good-bye to their kindred, friends and the Emerald Isle, crossed the blue Atlantic in a sailing-vessel and took up their residence at Pittsburgh, Pa., where our subject had a brother living. Mr. Taylor began working as a stonemason, following that trade for many years, when failing health caused him to abandon it. Deciding to go West, he came to Iowa in 1838, settling in Burlington, which was then known as Flint Hills. Mr. Taylor has always been a hard-working man, and many of the leading buildings in Burlington stand as monuments to his efficient skill and labor.
A great admirer of the principles advocated by Henry Clay, Mr. Taylor in early life affiliated with the Whig party, but on the organization of the Republican party he enlisted in its ranks, and has since continued to fight under its banner.
Mr. and Mrs. Taylor were the parents of eight children, three of whom are living, one son and two daughters--William H., now residing in Calistoga, Napa, Co., Cal.; Sarah and Mary A., still inmates of the paternal home. Those deceased are Robert, Sarah Jane, James, Mary Ann and Rachel. The death of Mrs. Taylor occurred in California, while on a visit to her son. She was a good wife, a kind and indulgent mother and a life-long member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The husband, too, is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is now nearly seventy-four years old, his life's work nearly ended, his life's journey almost completed, and he is only waiting the call of his Master to cross the river and meet his wife and children in that better land. He has witnessed almost the entire settlement of the county, all its worthy enterprises have found in him a ready supporter, and the respect due him is extended by all.
S. Taylor, of
Brooks, Smith & Taylor, wholesale grocers, and sole proprietor of
the hat and cap business of Taylor Bros., Burlington, Iowa, was born
at Rock Island, Ill., Nov. 29, 1856. He is a son of Allen Taylor,
and came to Iowa with his parents in 1857, spent five years at Fairfield
and then located at Burlington. He was educated at the public
schools and graduated from the Burlington High School in the class of
'73. He then engaged as clerk in the hat and cap store of R. M.
Washburn, and continued in that capacity until 1879, when he bought
into the business of which he has since become sole proprietor.
This house has become one of the most popular trading places in the
city, and does an annual business of $20,000. Mr. Taylor is a member
of Friendship Lodge No. 11, K. of P., and in politics is a Republican.
Mr. Taylor's father, Allen Taylor, was a resident of Burlington for
twenty-six years, and was a highly respected citizen. His death
occurred Jan. 2, 1888.
Otto F. Tappert, agent for the Consolidated Tank Line Company, at Burlington, Iowa, was born in the city of Berlin, Prussia, Oct. 26, 1850, and is a son of Hermann and Dorothea (Bock) Tappert. He was educated in his native city, and in 1866 emigrated with his parents to America, the family locating at Springfield, Ill., where they remained until 1871, and then removed to Fairfield, Iowa, where the parents still reside, and where Mr. Tappert, Sr., who is a machinest, works at his trade. The family have a record of great longevity, several of their ancestors having lived to be above ninety years of age, one living to be one hundred years old.
In 1868 Otto Tappert went to the Far West, spending four years traveling in Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico, and on his return to Iowa, in 1872, he engaged as traveling salesman for a Keokuk queensware house. After spending five years in that line, he went to Fairfield, Iowa, and engaged in the cigar and tobacco business. Three years later he returned to the road in the employ of a Des Moines queensware house. In 1881 he began to travel in the interest of the Consolidated Tank Line Company, and in January, 1883, was appointed their agent at Burlington, which position he has now held nearly six years. Mr. Tappert has proved himself an efficient and faithful manager of this important business interest. He thoroughly understands his duty, and as he never hesitated to attend personally to all branches of the work that need his care, he knows when matters are progressing favorably or otherwise, and is sure to see that the interests of the company are protected and advanced. Under his judicious management the business has grown to important proportions.
L. Thomas, a
well-known resident of Mediapolis, Iowa, is a native of South Wales,
born near Newcastle, and is a son of David and Mary (Lloyd) Thomas,
his father being a farmer in his native country. When a boy the
subject of this sketch left the paternal home, and engaged in any kind
of work that came to his hand. Being of an ingenious turn of mind
he worked at many occupations, and mastered the trade of stonemason
without serving a regular apprenticeship. Deciding to try his
fortunes in the New World he came to America in 1854, locating first
at Newark, Ohio, where he engaged in work as a stonemason. From
there he removed to Louisa County, Iowa, working at the same trade in
Columbus City. In September, 1856, he removed to Des Moines County,
and worked as a farm hand on a farm on section 8, in Franklin Township,
afterward renting a farm for a number of years. His first purchase
of land was forty-eight acres on the same section, to which he added
by subsequent purchases until he had a farm of 218 acres. He is
also the owner of 147 acres in Louisa County, Iowa. On the former
place he lived until 1885, when he retired from farming, and removed
to Mediapolis, which has ever since been his home.
In November, 1881,
Mr. Thomas was married to Mary A., daughter of David and Martha (Evans)
Dudley, and a native of Licking County, Ohio. David Dudley was
a native of Wales, who emigrated to this country in 1842, and settled
in Licking County, Ohio.
The success in life
of Mr. Thomas is a good illustration of what can be accomplished by
industry, integrity, frugality, close attention to business and good
management. When he came to America his sole capital was good health,
correct morals, and an earnest determination to succeed. To-day
he is enjoying the fruits of a well-spent life, lived in accordance
with the rules he early laid down for his future guidance, and is in
the possession of a comfortable competence. In May, 1886, he and
his wife started for a well-earned holiday, visiting various parts of
Wales and England, and spending three months on the trip. When
he first emigrated to America he came in a sailing-vessel, which took
five weeks and three days to make the passage across the Atlantic.
On his return to his native land he crossed in eleven days, a good illustration
of modern progress.
Mr. Thomas is well
known and highly esteemed in Des Moines County, and wherever he is known.
He is a Republican in politics and a warm supporter of its principles.
Though not an aspirant for political honors, he has taken an active
interest in local affairs, and has served his township as Trustee.
A good portrait of Mr. Thomas appears upon the opposite page.
William H. Thompson, a farmer and auctioneer, residing on section 26, Yellow Spring Township, is a native of Fayette County, Ind., born Sept. 8, 1834, and is the son of Thomas M. and Mary N. (Garrell) Thompson, the former a native of Indiana, the latter of Alleghany County, Pa. The family is of Irish descent, the paternal grandfather, John Thompson, being a native of Ireland. Thomas was reared upon a farm, and followed the occupation of a farmer in his earlier years, but later became a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and continued to preach the Gospel until his death, which occurred in December, 1855, at the age of forty-seven years. His wife, who was also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, died in 1884, aged sixty-four years. They reared a family of eleven children, five of whom are living: Elizabeth, wife of William Loper, of Huron Township, Des Moines County; our subject; Caroline, residing in Decatur County, Iowa, is the widow of Warren T. Hand; Milton, a resident of Osceola, Iowa; and Sarah, wife of Thomas R. Cogswell, of Yellow Spring Township. In 1844 Mr. and Mrs Thompson came to Des Moines County, settling near Dodgeville, Franklin Township, where the father rented a farm for two years; later he purchased eighty acres of land in Huron Township, but in 1849 removed to Keokuk County, Iowa, making that their home for the succeeding two years. Their next place of residence was in Jefferson County, Iowa, where the father died at the age of forty-seven.
Our subject first came to Des Moines County in 1844, and here resided for five years, at the end of which time he removed with his parents, but in 1852 he returned, engaging as a farm hand until Aug. 10, 1861, when he enlisted in Company K, 14th Iowa Infantry. He served three years and forty-one days as a Corporal, and participated in the following battles: Ft. Donelson, Tupelo, the Red River expedition, Pleasant Hill, Old Oaks and Chufallo Bayou. The regiment next went to Vicksburg, where they participated in the second Jackson campaign. Mr. Thompson took part in and was taken prisoner at the battle of Shiloh (or Pittsburg Landing), and confined at Mobile, Ala., later at Montgomery, then at Macon, Ga., and next in the Libby Prison, at Richmond, Va., where he was paroled, and when exchanged again entered active service. He was mustered out in November, 1864, at Davenport, Iowa.
Returning to Des Moines County, Iowa, Mr. Thompson again engaged as a farm hand for one year, and on the 3d of January, 1867, was united in marriage with Delanah A. Miller, a native of Des Moines County, Iowa, and by that union two children were born--Olive and Franklin, both of whom died in childhood. The death of the mother occurred Aug. 15, 1870, at the age of thirty years, and Mr. Thompson was again married, June 29, 1871, to Martha E. Lee, a native of this county, and a daughter of Robert W. Lee, whose sketch appears elsewhere. By this second marriage there are also two children--Talitha R. and Minnie A. Since his marriage Mr. Thompson has resided on section 26 of Yellow Spring Township, where he owns forty acres of land. He held the office of Constable for six years in his township; is a member of the G. A. R., and politically, is a Democrat. For the past nine years Mr. Thompson has followed the occupation of an auctioneer, and as such is well known throughout Des Moines, Louisa and Henry Counties.
Reuben Tomes, a farmer residing on section 27, Danville Township, Des Moines Co., Iowa, was born in Lenawee County, Mich., Nov. 22, 1833, and is a son of James and Mary A. (Whiteneck) Tomes. James was a native of New Jersey, but grew to manhood in Seneca County, N. Y., where his marriage to Miss Whiteneck was celebrated. Soon after their marriage the young couple removed to Lenawee County, Mich., probably settling there about 1827, and making a location in the forest. James Tomes was a great lover of the chase, a sportsman whose rifle brought down great quantities of game, with which that new country abounded; in fact that was the inducement that led to their emigration. Exposure, however, brought on illness which terminated fatally, and James Tomes was buried when our subject was a lad of three years of age. He was the father of five children, of whom Reuben was the youngest; Ann died unmarried; David, Richard, Rachel and Reuben. After the death of the father the mother returned to New York, and the children were cared for by relatives of the family, thus becoming separated until all trace of them is lost. Rachel married Edwin Foster, carpenter, of Buffalo, N. Y., but they removed to Girard, Branch Co., Mich., where she died, leaving three children--William, Rose and Reuben. Mrs. Tomes was again married, her second husband being Henry Guelick, of Lodi, Seneca Co., N. Y. They became parents of one son, Henry, who was perhaps fifteen years of age when his mother died, and he went to Oregon with relatives, though all trace of him is now lost.
Reuben Tomes, our subject, was twelve years of age when his uncle, also of that name, and with whom he was reared, removed from Seneca County, N. Y., to the new State of Iowa, settling in this county in 1846, upon a piece of rented land, making, however, a purchase of the tract now owned by our subject in 1848, upon which both himself and wife lived during the remainder of their lives. They had no children of their own, and their love and care were given to Reuben from his fifth year as long as they lived. Work in the new country was plentiful, and the farm upon which Mr. Tomes now lives was a barren tract of prairie land, which his plow turned over acre by acre. Reuben, Jr., broke most of the soil with two yoke of cattle, but as the months and years went by all was put in the finest condition, and the uncle and aunt lived to see the town of Danville with its stores and churches, and its railroads carrying freight almost past their doors. Their first house still stands, the home of our subject, and the chestnut trees in front of the farmhouse were grown from seed which was planted by Reuben and his wife. Both reached a ripe age, he eighty, she eighty-four years. Their deaths occurred within ten days of each other, in March, 1881.
When twenty-one years of age Reuben Tomes began life for himself as a miller, having a situation in a sawmill, and two years later he went to Nebraska, securing a similar position in Childs & McCassle's mills near Bellevue, later renting another mill, and while this was operated fine wages were earned. In November of that year he returned home and tried farming for one year, making, as he says, "my board, which Shoemaker lost," but the wet season ruined their crop and they harvested no corn. In 1859 Mr. Tomes returned to Michigan on a visit to his sister Rachel, and while there worked at the carpenter's trade with his brother-in-law. In 1862, returning to Iowa, he worked the homestead on shares one season, then rented a sawmill in Pleasant Grove Township, operating it for two years, afterward becoming the proprietor, in partnership with Marion Carter, remaining in that occupation until after his marriage. Having changed partners in the mill, the firm was then known at Tomes & Snelson, and two years later Mr. Tomes purchased the other interest, and owned the property until 1875.
Reuben Tomes was united in marriage with Miss Frances Chase, July 1, 1867, and their domestic life was begun and continued for a number of years at the old mill site in Pleasant Grove Township. Her parents, Kimball and Emily (Guy) Chase, came from Cattaraugus County, N. Y., to Iowa in 1836, settling in Des Moines County, on land now within the city limits of Burlington. Mr. Chase was a farmer and sawyer, and remained a resident of Des Moines County for a long time, then, after the death of his wife, he removed to Henry County, Iowa, where he died at the residence of his daughter, Hannah Chamberlain, Oct. 3, 1887. Mr. and Mrs. Chase were the parents of seven children: Abigail, deceased wife of Edward Jackson, a farmer residing at Sperry, Iowa; Laura, wife of J. E. McAllister, of Rice County, Kan.; Hannah, wife of M. D. Chamberlain; and Mrs. Tomes. James, the eldest son, died from disease in the army. He belonged to Company B, 25th Iowa Infantry, and died at Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis. Charles and his youngest sister, Kate, died in childhood. There are none left to inherit the Chase name, but the family were not only early settlers, but were well known to most of the pioneers.
In 1870 Mr. and Mrs. Tomes came to the homestead and took charge of the farm, the aged uncle and aunt making their home with them during their remaining years. Two children, Guy and Mary, were born to Reuben and Frances Tomes, both of whom were born in this county, as was also their mother, and both are yet at home. Mr. Tomes has been an official of Pleasant Grove and Danville Townships for a number of terms. In the former he was twice Township Clerk, Treasurer of the School Board two years, was twice Assessor of Danville Township, and Secretary of the School Board several years, being the present incumbent. He was the heir of his deceased uncle, Reuben Tomes, and is now the owner of a valuable farm overlooking the village of Danville. Mrs. Tomes was a teacher for several years prior to her marriage, having taught several terms in Washington and Yellow Spring Townships.
A. Tomlinson, deceased, was a native of Marion County, Ind., born April
24, 1843, and was a son of W. H. Tomlinson. When the war broke out he
was but eighteen years of age, but on the first call of the President
for troops to restore the Union, he enlisted in the 10th Illinois Infantry,
and for four years did his duty as a faithful soldier of the Union Army.
With his regiment he was in a number of engagements and was wounded
at the battle of Chickamauga. He was with Sherman on his March to Sea,
and was discharged at the close of the war. While in the service he
received a serious sunstroke, from the effects of which he never fully
receiving his discharge he returned home, remained a short time and
then entered a commercial school at Chicago, but did not there complete
the course, but came to Burlington, where he finished his education
in the business college of that city. He here became acquainted with
Miss Dora Andress, a daughter of Daniel S. and Elizabeth W. (Mitchell)
Andress, and on the 15th day of December, 1858, their marriage was duly
celebrated. In 1872, the young couple went to Wilson County, Kan., settling
near Fredonia, where a farm was purchased. In connection with the cultivation
of his land, he also worked at the carpenter's trade. After eleven years
residence in Wilson County, Mr. Tomlinson died, his death occurring
March 9, 1883, at the age of thirty-nine years. He was a tender father
and loving husband, his death being indeed a terrible loss to the family.
A strong advocate of the cause of temperance, by his eloquence and logic
he won many adherents, his efforts being unceasing and his zeal untiring
in the great work. He was also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
and an active worker in all Sunday-school and Church work. Few men had
the love and respect of all who knew him in a greater degree. To Mr.
and Mrs. Tomlinson four children were born: Frank, who died in infancy;
Guy and Grace at home; and Homer, who also died in infancy.
the death of her husband, Mrs. Tomlinson returned to her native city
of Burlington, where she has since resided. She is a woman of superior
education and mental ability, and for two years has been book reviewer
for the Burlington Hawkeye. She is a member of he Methodist Episcopal
Church, and is also active in all Church and Sunday-school work. Her
son Guy is now eleven years old. At the age of four years he could read
intelligently and at six years helped to assume the burdens of the family
support, and in less than one year earned about $100. In temperance
work he is following in the footsteps of his father, and by his personal
efforts has secured nearly fifty names to the temperance pledge.
This is a second biography
on this individual.
J. A. Tomlinson, deceased,
was a native of Marion County, Ind., born April, 24, 1843, and was a
son of W. H. Tomlinson. He had but reached his eighteenth year
when the great war of the Rebellion commenced, and believing it his
duty as an able-bodied young man to assist in the defense of the Union,
he enlisted in the 10th Illinois Infantry, and served till the close
of the war. No soldier in the service was more faithful in the
discharge of his duties. He never shirked, but, brave man that
he was, he was always found in the front. At the battle of Chickamauga
he received a wound, the evidence of which he carried with him to his
At the close of the
war he was honorably discharged, returned to his home, and soon afterward
entered a business college in Chicago, but did not complete the course.
Coming to Burlington, he entered the business college of this city,
from which institution he was graduated with honors.
While in Burlington
he became acquainted with Miss Dora Andress, a native of the city, and
daughter of Daniel S. and Elizabeth W. (Mitchell) Andress. The acquaintence
ripened into love, and love into marriage, and the two were joined in
the holy bonds of matrimony on the 15th day of December, 1868. Four
children came to bless this union, two of whom tarried but a short time,
dying in infancy, Frank Roy and Homer the first and last born.
J. Guy and Grace remain yet with their mother to comfort her as she
pursued life's journey, deprived of the loving care of that one who
for fifteen years was ever ready to throw his protecting arm around
her, and as far as possible shield her from all harm.
Wishing to better
their condition in life, in 1872 the young couple removed from Burlington
to Fredonia, Wilson Co., Kan., where Mr. Tomlinson purchased a farm,
which he improved, working in the meantime at his trade of carpenter.
But he was not long for this world. On the 9th of March, 1883,
he was called to his final rest, mourned alike by family and friends.
A member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, he was a sincere Christian
man, an earnest worker in both church and Sunday-school. The cause
of temperance also found in him an active champion, and publicly and
privately he labored for the good of others, "to save the fallen
and prevent others from falling."
After his death Mrs.
Tomlinson, with her fatherless children, returned to Burlington, where
she has since continued to reside. Like her husband, she united
with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in every department of church
work she is an earnest, faithful worker. For the past two years
she has been the literary critic of the Burlington Hawk-Eye, having
a natural taste in that direction. Her son Guy is a youth of bright
promise, and from the early age of six years has assisted in providing
for the wants of the family. The temperance principles of the
father have been instilled in his young heart, and he has influenced
many of his playmates and friends to take the temperance pledge.
George S. Tracy, of the law firm of Tracy & Mercer, 206 1/2 Jefferson street, Burlington, Iowa, was born in that city, Oct. 27, 1860, and is a son of the late Hon. Joshua Tracy and Antoinette Tracy, his mother's maiden surname being Stone. (See sketch of Judge Tracy elsewhere in this volume.) George S. was educated at Notre Dame University, Ind., taking a literary course, and graduating from that celebrated school in the class of '80. Returnig to Iowa, he pursued a law course at the State University, receiving his diploma in 1882, and at once entering upon the practice of his profession in Burlington. The existing partnership with John M. Mercer was formed in 1885, and he has been connected with the Burlington, Chicago & Northern Railroad for several years, and is the present Assistant Solicitor for that company. Mr. Tracy is a young man of fine natural ability, is studious in habit, and is recognized as a rising man at the bar. He has the example before him of an illustrious sire, who won a proud position as one of the eminent lawyers of the State, and his friends are hopeful that the son will live to do credit to the honored name he bears.
Hon. Joshua Tracy, deceased, for many years a prominent and honored citizen of Burlington, Iowa, an eminent lawyer and leading business man, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, July 12, 1825, and was the son of Joshua and Sarah (Moore) Tracy. His father was a farmer by occupation and one of the pioneer settlers of Belmont County, where our subject was reared, receiving his primary education in the public schools. When nineteen years of age he entered Beverly College, Washington County, Ohio, pursuing his studies for a term of two years, and in 1846 emigrated to Iowa. On coming to this State, Mr. Tracy became a student at the celebrated institute of Prof. Samuel L. Howe, of Mt. Pleasant, and in 1850 went to Burlington where he studied law with Hon. M. D. Browning, a prominent attorney of that city. Being admitted to the bar in 1852, a partnership was at once formed with Mr. Browning, under the firm name of Browning & Tracy. He was elected City Attorney in 1853, serving in that capacity for two years, and the following year was chosen Representative to the Iowa Legislature, serving during the sessions of 1854-55 and in the called session of 1856. He was further honored by his fellow-citizens in the fall of 1858, by being elected District Attorney for the 1st Judicial District of Iowa; was twice re-elected to the same office and served until the fall of 1869, when he was appointed District Judge, to fill a vacancy caused by the resignation of Judge Francis Springer. At the expiration of the term for which he was appointed he was elected to the same office for a term of four years, but, owing to the meager salary of the office at that time, he resigned in the spring of 1874, engaging in the practice of his profession. Judge Tracy's connection with Mr. Browning was continued until 1863, the partnership being then dissolved and a new one formed with T. W. Newman, since District Judge. The latter connection was continued until the fall of 1869, the date of Judge Tracy's appointment to the bench. On resuming the practice of his profession in 1874, he admitted his step-son, Samuel K., to a partnership in his law practice, which connection continued up to the time of his death. In 1870 the Judge was elected President of the Burlington & Southwestern Railroad, holding that position until 1872; for several years he was General Solicitor for the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railroad, and in 1880 was elected President of that company. He proved himself a competent railway manager, and under his able administration of its affairs the lines were extended and business developed, until it became one of the most prosperous railroad corporations in the State.
Judge Tracy was united in marriage in October, 1847, to Mrs. Antoinette Kinney, widow of Samuel Kinney, and daughter of Col. H. A. and Miranda Stone, formally of Albany, N. Y., who were among the early settlers of Iowa. Six children survive: Samuel K., of Burlington, Iowa, a lawyer by profession and the present General Solicitor for the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railroad Company; Ellen, wife of H. C. Garrett, Cashier of the Merchants' National Bank at Burlington; Lucie, wife of W. P. Brady, Assistant Superintendent of The Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railroad, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa; Sada, wife of Dudley A. Tyng, of Peoria, Ill.; Goerge S., a practicing attorney and a member of the firm of Tracy & Mercer of Burlington; Frank is in the insurance office of E. S. Phelps.
Judge Tracy was associated with various important business enterprises, that, could he have lived but a few years longer, would have resulted greatly to his advantage, financially and otherwise. He was growing rapidly in prominence, influence and wealth, when suddenly stricken by a fatal illness. His death occurred on Sunday evening, May 18, 1884, after so brief an illness that outside of his immediate family it was hardly known that he had been sick. The sudden death of Judge Tracy touched a chord of sympathy in the hearts of a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, who had known him many years and had learned to admire and appreciate his many admirable qualities, rare ability and excellencies of character. He was recognized as a leader among the eminent men of Iowa, distinguished on the bench for his quick perception of the merits of the case in question, his thorough knowledge of law and the fairness and impartiality of his rulings. His perceptive faculties were wonderfully acute, his memory retentive, and he learned more by observation and experience than others did by close application to the study of authorities. Possessing mental powers of a high order, and the rare faculty of grasping intelligently the most intricate subjects, Judge Tracy was especially qualified for the high position he attained as a lawyer. His energy and indomitable will, united with great executive ability, gave him prominence as a railway manager and man of business. The following is only one of numerous testimonials which were spread upon the records of meetings held in honor of Judge Tracy after his death, all speaking in the highest terms of respect and veneration for the deceased.
"Resolutions of respect passed by the Board of Directors of the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railroad Company, at a special meeting held at the Grand Pacific Hotel, Chicago, June 14, 1884: "This Board, at its first meeting after the death of the Hon. Joshua Tracy, late one of its members and President of this company, places upon the record a brief statement of its estimate of his character. "As a citizen he was patriotic; as a jurist learned, able and honorable; as an officer of corporations, private and public, he deserved and received the confidence of those he represented; as a friend faithful; and as a husband and father kind, affectionate, devoted and true. He served his adopted State as a legislator, law officer and jurist, in a manner which reflected honor upon it and upon him. For many years he performed the duties of General Solicitor of this company so well, that this Board added to them those of President of the company. As the chief law and executive officer of this corporation, many important trusts were placed in his keeping, and the duties they imposed were always discharged to the entire approval of the stockholders, whose interests he was ever vigilant to protect. We will ever cherish the memory of his virtues as a citizen, a jurist and a man."
Those resolutions express the feeling with which Judge Tracy was regarded by all who knew him, and in his death the people of Burlington universally acknowledged that they has lost one of their foremost citizens.
A portrait of Judge Tracy may be seen upon another page.
Samuel K. Tracy, a resident of the city of Burlington, Iowa, general solicitor of the B., C. & N. R.R., is the son of Samuel and Antoinette (Stone) Kinney, though upon his adoption by Hon. Joshua Tracy he took his name. He was born in Washington County, Iowa, Aug. 28, 1845, and came to Des Moines County when five years of age. His education was received at Burlington University, and after completing his course in that school, he studied law at the Iowa State University, being admitted to the bar in 1872. He was City Solicitor for three years in Burlington, and in 1876 formed a law partnership with Judge Tracy, of this city. In 1882 he was appointed to his present position, which he fills faithfully and well. In politics, Mr. Tracy affiliates with the Democratic party.
John Troxel, senior partner of the well-known firm of
Troxel Bros., furniture dealers, situated at 203 North Main street,
has been a resident of Burlington since 1864, and was born in Lebanon
County, Pa., Aug. 3, 1835. He was educated in the common schools, and
learned the cabinet-maker's trade during his youth, beginning when fifteen
years of age. In 1856 he embarked in the furniture business for himself.
Mr. Troxel continued in the same until the breaking out of the late
war, but, on his country's call for troops, enlisted in September, 1861,
being mustered in as a private of Company K, 93d Pennsylvania Infantry,
of the 6th Army Corps. He was discharged in the latter part of 1862
on a surgeon's certificate of disability. A year passed before his health
was restored, and then in 1864 he removed to Burlington, Iowa, where
he has since resided.
On coming to that city, Mr. Troxel was employed by Bailey
& Co., working at his trade until 1875, when he formed existing
partnership with his brother Joseph in the furniture business, under
the firm name of Troxel Bros. Their united capital was small, and they
were obliged to start largely in debt for their stock. They were doing
well, however, till they suffered a serious loss by fire in 1878, it
sweeping away their accumulated capital, and leaving them with a large
amount of indebtedness on hand. Nothing daunted, and with a good credit
they resumed business, paid off their indebtedness, and now, in 1888,
have built up a fine prosperous business and are well-to-do. Their motto
has ever been "Industry and Frugality," and they have never
lacked for work either as employes or employers. They have labored with
an earnest endeavor to acquire a competence and have succeeded admirably.
Mr. Troxel was married in September, 1858, in Pennsylvania,
to Miss Catherine Gingerich, daughter of Jacob Gingerich, and natives
of Pennsylvania. They are the parents of four children, two sons and
two daughters: Lizzie resides with her parents; Emma L. is the wife
of Charles Green, cashier of the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern
Railroad; Albert L. married Miss Cora Heaton, and is book-keeper for
Troxel Bros.; William, the youngest, is a student. Mr. Troxel is a stanch
Republican in politics, and a member of C. L. Matthes Post, No. 5, G.
A. R., of which he is Quartermaster. A plain, practical business man
of unquestioned integrity, he is industrious by habit and conscientious
in the discharge of every moral or legal obligation. His father, Joseph
Troxel, a highly-respected old gentleman, came to Burlington with his
family in 1866 and has since made it his home. His wife, a most estimable
lady, died in the winter of 1873.
Joseph Troxel, Jr., of the firm of Troxel Bros., dealers in furniture at 203 North Main street, Burlington, Iowa, was born in Lebanon County, Pa., June 6, 1846, and is the son Joseph and Sarah Troxel, both of whom were also natives of Pennsylvania. On his father's side, the family is of German origin and on the mother's side of Scotch-Irish descent. Our subject received a common-school education, and when but sixteen years of age, in October, 1862, enlisted in Company H, 3d Pennsylvania Artillery, serving for two years and nine months, or until the close of the war. He was on detached duty on the Potomac almost continually during his service, the only battle of importance in which he was engaged being that of Gettysburg. Enjoying most excellent health during all his term of service, he was never off duty a single day.
On returning from the war, Mr. Troxel decided that the slow methods of his old neighbors offered no encouragement for business enterprise, especially to one with but a limited capital, so, with his savings accumulated during his military service, he came to Burlington, Iowa, in 1865. On reaching that city, he was employed by the firm of Prugh & McClaren, furniture dealers. By industrious and frugal habits, having accumulated a small capital, he engaged in the furniture business with his brother, John, they being very successful until 1878, when a fire occurred, which proved very disastrous to them, losing heavily, and their insurance not paying the amount of indebtedness on the stock. Having established a good credit, however, they were enabled to resume business, although it took the following year's profits to pay the debts owing at the time of the fire. The firm has since pushed on with its usual energy, and has succeeded in acquiring a good property.
Mr. Troxel was united in marriage in Burlington, Aug. 29, 1871, with Miss Laura J. Miner, daughter of Nathan Miner of Union Township, Des Moines County, Iowa, where Mrs. Troxel was born. They have one child, a son, Millard M., born Oct. 8, 1872. Mr. Troxel is a member of C. L. Matthias Post, No. 5, G. A. R. of which he is S. V. Commander. He is a Liberal-Republican in politics. and is esteemed a reliable business man and worthy citizen.
Thomas J. Trulock, attorney-at-law, office 405 1/2 Jefferson street, Burlington, Iowa, is an early settler of Burlington, of 1851, and a member of the Des Moines County bar since 1868. He is a native of Indiana, born in Scott County, in that State, in 1840. His parents were Samuel M. and Elizabeth (Stark) Trulock, and were among the early settlers of Des Moines County. His father was born in Kentucky and emigrated to Indiana in an early day. He was of Scotch-Irish descent, his family being among the early colonists of Virginia, who emigrated to Kentucky on the first settlement of that State. He enlisted in the late war in the Board of Trade Regiment, 82d Illinois, and was killed at the battle of Franklin, Tenn.
Thomas J. Trulock came to Burlington with his parents in 1851, was educated at the Burlington Academy, and subsequently was engaged in teaching. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1868, but still pursued the profession of teaching until 1873. He was elected the first Superintendent of Schools in the city of Burlington, which office he held one year. He was twice elected County Superintendent of Schools, but resigned during his second term. He was also elected and served as Justice of the Peace. Since 1873 he has devoted his attention to the practice of his profession, except while serving as Justice of the Peace, as before mentioned.
In St. Louis, April 6, 1874, the marriage of Mr. Trulock and Miss Pauline Knoblauch was celebrated. She was a native of Paris, France, and came to America with her parents in childhood. Mrs. Trulock departed this life Aug. 29, 1886, leaving two children, both sons--Guy W., now thirteen years of age, and Carl E., aged nine. Mr. Trulock is a Republican in politics, having voted with that party since attaining his majority. He is a member of Burlington Lodge, No. 20, A. F. & A. M.; of Washington Lodge, No. 1, I. O. O. F.; of Iowa Chapter, No. 1. R. A. M., and of Lincoln Lodge, No. 125 A. O. U. W., all of Burlington.
Charles DeWitt Trumbull, pastor of the Reform Church at Morning Sun, Iowa, is a native
of East Craftsburg, Orleans Co., Vt., born April 4, 1837, and is a son
of John and Laura (Dunbar) Trumbull, both of whom are of the same State,
the former born Sept. 15, 1800, the latter, March 17, 1811. The
family removed from Craftsburg, Vt., to Georgeville, Canada, in 1841,
and from there to Logan County, Ohio, in 1851. John Trumbull was
a farmer by occupation, and was one of the first to espouse the cause
of the slaves, being early known as an Abolitionist, by which name he
was never ashamed to be called. For years his home was a station
on the famous "underground railroad," and many a poor negro,
escaping from bondage, found there a place of rest, and was assisted
in making his way to a free country. The family consisted of five
children: Charles D., the subject of this sketch; Augustus G.,
senior partner of the firm of Trumbull, Reynolds & Allen, dealers
in agricultural implements, of Kansas City, Mo.; Helen M., wife of James
F. True, of Newman, Jefferson Co., Kan.; and James S., who died Aug.
18, 1880, at the age of thirty-six. Mr. and Mrs. Trumbull were
both members of the Reform Presbyterian Church, and gave liberally to
its support. The former died in Logan County, Ohio, in the month
of August, 1874, and the latter in August, 1876. While yet residing
in Canada the subject of this sketch attended common schools, and on
his removal to Northwood, Logan Co., Ohio, he entered Geneva College,
where he remained until his senior year. It was for the purpose
of giving his children good educations that John Trumbull removed his
family to Northwood, the college there being well conducted and under
the control of the Covenanter Church. Leaving Geneva College,
Charles Trumbull entered Jefferson College, at Cannonsburg, Pa., from
which institution he graduated in 1858. For the two years following
he was a teacher and Assistant Principal in Geneva College. Having
an earnest desire to enter the ministry, he began the study of theology
while yet a teacher, reciting privately to his pastor, Rev. William
Milroy. In November, 1860, he entered the theological seminary
of the Reform Presbyterian Church, in Allegheny, Pa., and finished his
study of the ministry in March, 1863, being licensed to preach by the
Lakes Presbytery on the 21st of April following. Rev. Trumbull
began his pastoral work at the Reform Presbyterian Church of Linn Grove,
Des Moines Co., Iowa, and was ordained by the Iowa Presbytery Jan. 29,
1864. For eleven years he ministered to that congregation and
April 1, 1874, resigned, accepting a call from the church at Morning
Sun, being installed April 14, 1874, as its pastor, and has since been
in charge of this work. At the time when he entered upon his duties
the membership amounted to only about fifty, but since there has been
added to the church 203 members, 130 of whom have either died or moved
away, leaving the present membership 119.
While pursuing his
studies in the theological school in Allegheny, Mr. Trumbull formed
the acquaintance of Miss Mary Sproull, a daughter of Thomas Sproull,
D. D., LL. D., then Professor of Theology. The acquaintance ripened
into love, and they were united in marriage June 8, 1864. Their
union has been blessed with six children, two sons and four daughters--Thomas
S., Laura A., Lena W., Mary H., John C. and Lois A. In addition to his
ministerial labors, Mr. Trumbull has been an occasional contributor
to the various publications of the church, several of his sermons being
found in the church magazines. He has also contributed a number
of articles of historic value, and as Chairman of several boards and
committees, he has rendered efficient service. In 1878 he was
unanimously elected Moderator of the Synod, the highest position of
the Reform Presbyterian Church. Few men enjoy the respect and
confidence of the people, both as a minister and as a citizen, more
than Rev. C. D. Trumbull. For a quarter of a century he has been pastor
of the Reform Presbyterian Church at Morning Sun and its sister church
at Linn Grove, and it is not to be wondered that in that time he has
made many warm friends both in and out of the church, and many he has
brought into the Kingdom.
W. Turner, residing on section 36, Flint River Township, Des Moines
Co., Iowa, is a native of Wiltshire, England, born in Salisbury, July
24, 1844, and is a son of William and Ann (Willett) Turner, both of
whom were also natives of England. To them were born thirteen children,
of whom six are living--Sarah A., wife of Frederick Cook, a commercial
traveler residing in Burlington; James, merchant and grain dealer of
Unionville, Mo.; our subject; Elizabeth, widow of T. W. Cockell, resides
in Flint River Township; Lydia, wife of W. H. Krozen, whose home is
in Chicago; Martha, who wedded C. T. Griggs, a miller of Louisville,
the Atlantic with his parents in 1854, when fourteen years of age, Mr.
Turner landed in Canada, and there subsequently engaged in the mercantile
business for almost eleven years. In Bradford, Ontario, he became acquainted
with Elizabeth J. Gorman, the acquaintanceship ripened into love and
their marriage was celebrated in that city. Mrs. Turner was born Feb.
4, 1845, in Belfast, Ireland, and is a daughter of John and Mary (Voucher)
Gorman, both natives of the Green Isle of Erin, and the parents of eleven
children, ten of whom are yet living: Mary S., wife of G. H. Wiggens
of Milwaukee, Wis.; Elizabeth the honored wife of our subject; Margaret
A. married C. W. Tindall, of Dakota; William, who lives in Burlington;
John H., a resident farmer of Colorado; Josephine, deceased; Joseph,
a clerk in Burlington; Philip, also residing in that city; Edith C.,
wife of A. Reed, of Milwaukee, Wis. The family went to Bradford, Canada,
when Mrs. Turner was about eight years of age, and from thence moved
to Indiana in 1864, remaining there four years and then going still
further West, locating at Livingston County, Ill., where the father
died about 1871. He and his wife were both members of the Methodist
Protestant Church, and the latter, is now living with her sons, A. B.
and J. H., near Yuma, Colo., being now sixty-five years of age. Mr.
Turner's parents are residents of Burlington, and their sketch appears
elsewhere in this work.
W. Turner came with the family to Burlington in 1867, and engaged in
the confectionery and fruit business for three years, and then, in 1870,
selling out he went into the retail grocery business in the firm of
Cockell & Turner on Jefferson street, continuing in this until 1884,
and during this time lost money by the dishonesty of his clerks. Selling
out in that year, Mr. Turner moved on a farm adjoining the city, and
in 1885 embarked in the Agency Avenue Dairy. He had been one of the
leading business men of Burlington, has held the office of School Director,
and is highly respected by all. Socially, he is a member of Royal Arcanum
Lodge, No. 530, of Burlington and of the Finch Lodge, I. O. G. T., of
West Burlington. Mr. and Mrs. Turner have for a number of years been
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, very active in all church
and Sunday-school work, their zeal is untiring, their labor unceasing.
As far back as the history of the family is known, there has been a
direct line of ministers; and his untiring labor in the cause shows
how faithfully Mr. Turner has followed their example. The erection of
the Methodist Episcopal Church in West Burlington was largely due to
his efforts, and the record of his life is an example well worthy of
emulation. Not only zealous workers in the church, but the support of
Mr. Turner and his family is given to all temperance interests. They
all belong to the I. O. G. T. and were charter members of Finch Lodge.
A Republican in politics, Mr. Turner stands firmly by his party, and
in all public enterprises in his community he is in the front rank.
In 1884-85, he superintended the erection of the public-school building
of West Burlington, a structure worth $6,000, being a Director of the
School Board at that time. Mrs. Cockell, a sister of Mr. Turner, has
been classed among the prominent and active members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church since her childhood.
union of Mr. and Mrs. Turner has been blessed with four children: William
J., born Nov. 19, 1864, in Bradford, Canada, graduated from the Burlington
high school in the class of 1883, and is now clerk in the Chicago, Burlington
& Quincy Railroad Master Mechanics' office, of West Burlington;
George A., born in Bradford, Canada, March 21, 1869, received his education
in Burlington and is a moulder by trade; Harry C. was born in Des Moines
County, May 11, 1875; Myrtle A. was also born in Des Moines County,
March 24, 1881.
William Turner, of Burlington, Iowa, does a general
retail business in flour, feed and provisions, and has been a resident
of the city since March, 1869. He is a native of Wiltshire County, England,
born Dec. 12, 1813, and is the oldest son of William and Sarah (Wilkins)
Turner, who were natives of the same place. Mr. Turner was reared as
a gardener, and was married, Feb. 1, 1836, to Miss Ann Willett, daughter
of Thomas and Elizabeth (Cook) Willett, who were both natives of Wiltshire,
England. On the 9th of June, 1856, Mr. and Mrs. Turner with their family
left their native home and went to Liverpool, and on the 17th day of
the same month took passage on the sailing ship "Nelson," commanded by Capt. Chiever, bound for Canada, and after a long and tedious
journey of seven weeks and three days they landed at Castle Garden,
N. Y., and from there proceeded to Canada, and located at Bradford,
in Simcoe County, Ontario, where they remained for about thirteen years.
While at Bradford Mr. Turner was engaged in buying grain, and Mrs. Turner
kept a general grocery store. In 1869 they left that country and removed
to Burlington, Iowa, where they have since resided. Twelve children
have been born to this worthy couple, only six of whom are now living:
Sarah, now Mrs. Frederick Cook, of Burlington; James served as a soldier
in the Union army during the late Civil War; he enlisted as a private,
and returned as Captain of his company. He was a brave soldier and participated
in a number of battles, received a wound in his shoulder, and now draws
a pension. He resides at Unionville, Mo. Elizabeth A., who is now a
widow; George, who keeps a dairy at Burlington; Lillie, now Mrs. Kerozen,
who resides in Chicago, and Martha, now Mrs. C. T. Griggs, lives at
Hustonville, Ky. Mr. and Mrs. Turner have both been life-long members
of the Methodist Church, and their fathers were both local preachers
in that denomination, and Mr. William Turner has acted in the same capacity
for nearly half a century.
Mr. Turner is a Republican in politics, and is a warm
supporter of his party. Mr. and Mrs. Turner celebrated their golden
wedding in February, 1886. They are both hale and hearty, and highly
respected members of the community in which they live.
Archibald Smith Twiford, a resident of Burlington, Iowa, was born in Washington, D. C., March 3, 1822, and there resided until fourteen years of age. He is the son of Smith and Catherine Twiford, the father a native of Delaware, and the mother of Virginia. They reared a family of five children, two sons and three daughters: Sarah A., who married T. B. Taylor; Elizabeth wedded Lemual Pugh; Lemon, deceased; Mary Ann became the wife of Thomas Edwards, both now deceased; and Archibald, our subject, who was the eldest. Two others died in childhood. When Archibald was a lad of fourteen his parents removed to Harper's Ferry, where they resided for three years, during which time he attended school. They next removed to West Virginia, and there a farm was purchased, upon which our subject was employed during the summer, and engaged in teaching school during the winter months. Soon after removing to their farm the death of the father occurred, and the care of the family devolved upon Archibald, he being the eldest son. He remained upon the farm until twenty-three years of age, and in the meantime married Miss Ann E. Portmess. Leaving the farm about 1856, Mr. Twiford went to Cumberland, Md., where he engaged in the hardware business for five years, and during the succeeding four years traveled in various occupations, and at the end of this time removed with his family to Newcomers Town, Ohio. In that city he engaged in the mercantile business for four years, having in the meantime purchased a drug-store, and also held the office of Postmaster. Having an excellent opportunity to sell his business Mr. Twiford did so, and removed to Burlington, Iowa, in the spring of 1865, here establishing a photograph gallery in connection with H. N. Twining; they also having all kinds of artist's materials for sale. Later a partnership was formed with J. G. Baird, under the firm name of Baird and Twiford, which connection continued for several years. This business finally becoming distasteful to him, Mr. Twiford abandoned it, accepting a position with R. T. Root, as general agent for a number of years, and later became local agent for the Equitable Life Insurance Company of New York, which position he held to the time of his death, which occurred from congestion of the heart, May 1, 1884.
On the 20th of May, in the year 1843, in Hampshire County, W. Va., Mr. Twiford was united in marriage with Miss Ann E. Portmess, daughter of John and Ruth Portmess, the father being a native of Pennsylvania, and the mother of Virginia. Mrs. Twiford was one of a family of nine children, of whom she was the eldest. The other members of the family were: Dr. James, who wedded Miss Buck; Washington became the husband of Miss Boxwell; John is a minister of the Gospel; Susan is engaged in teaching; Jacob, a photographer, married Miss Fanny Griffith; William died at the age of twenty-one years; Samuel Philip, a farmer, died at the age of eighteen; Fanny, who is an artist of considerable note, became the wife of Mr. Worth, who is a music-teacher by profession.
At his death Mr. Twiford left behind a memory of a pure and upright life, as husband, father, neighbor, citizen and friend. A sincere Christian, devoted to the church of his choice, he lived a consistent life, and possessed in the highest degree the respect of all who knew him. Personally, his demeanor was quiet and genial, winning the friendship of all with whom he came in contact. It is not magnifying his virtue to say that he lived an exemplary life, and died leaving many friends. Mr. Twiford for many years was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The following resolutions were passed by the Sunday-school, of which he was an active member:
WHEREAS, God, in the exercise of His sovereign pleasure and unerring wisdom, has seen fit to remove by death from our school one of its oldest members,
Resolved, That we with humble submission say to our Heavenly Father, "Thy will be done."
Resolved, That by his death the Sunday-school has lost an earnest friend, faithful member and officer.
Resolved, That while we shall miss his genial, happy face from among us, we take comfort in the promise of the Bible of a home in heaven to those who are faithful unto the end.