Floyd County, Iowa
Attorney, was born
in Henry County, Iowa, July 14, 1853. His father was a native of Virginia,
and his mother of Ohio. Mr. Andrews was admitted to the bar May 1, 1879,
and commenced the practice of law the following December, in Rockford,
One of the prominent
citizens of Rockford, was born Feb. 15, 1846, in Herkimer County, N.
Y. He left New York, when seven years of age, moving to Ossian, Winneshiek
County, Ia., where he subsequently engaged in the drug business. In
1876 he removed to Charles City, and one year later came to Rockford
where he has since resided. He is engaged in the drug business here
and also keeps a full line of jewelry. His marriage to Eugenia Moe,
occurred at Avoca, Pottawattamie County, Ia., on Sept. 11, 1873. She
was born in Wisconsin, March 11, 1848. They have three children –
Earl Leslie, born Feb. 17, 1875; Edna, March 22, 1877 and Clyde, June
22, 1879. Mrs. Bort is a member of the Free-Will Baptist church, and
politically Mr. Bort is a strong Republican.
Of Floyd County,
Ia., was born at South Hadley Falls, Hampshire County, Mass., on the
16th day of February 1820. His father, Hon. William Bowdoin, of Huguenot
origin and a descendant of the same ancestors as the Bowdoins of Boston,
was for more than forty years a practicing attorney of the Massachusetts
bar and for several terms a member of the Massachusetts Senate. The
subject of our sketch was educated at Amherst College, Massachusetts,
where he graduated in 1840. After graduating he commenced the study
of law, but subsequently for some time taught an academy at Spencertown,
Columbia County, N. Y., and again from 1842 to 1845 was similarly engaged
at Milton, Caswell County, N. C. Returning to Massachusetts, the latter
year, he resumed his legal studies with Judge Henry Morris, at Springfield,
where in May 1847, he was admitted to practice by the Supreme Court
of Massachusetts. Immediately after he removed to Amherst, where he
entered into partnership with the Hon. Edward Dickinson, with whom he
continued in the practice of his profession until 1855, when, owing
to ill health, he made a journey to Iowa, which eventuated in his becoming
interested in real estate in Floyd and adjoining counties, and a resident
of the town of Rockford, of which he was one of the original proprietors.
In 1856 he was admitted to the bar of Floyd County, but never practiced
there. In 1859 he was elected a member of the Iowa House of Representatives,
which met in 1860, from the district then composed of the counties of
Floyd, Cerro Gordo, Worth, Hancock and Winnebago, in which session he
was a member of the Judiciary Committee, and Chairman of the Committee
on Schools and State University. He was re-elected to the assembly which
met in 1862, in which session he was Chairman of the Committee on Ways
and Means, and a member of the committee on apportioning the State into
congressional districts. In 1860 he was a member of the Iowa delegation
to the National Republican Convention, at Chicago, which nominated Mr.
Lincoln. In December 1863, going to Washington he was made Clerk of
the Judiciary Committee of the House of Representatives, of which the
Hon. James F. Wilson, of Iowa, was Chairman, which position he retained
for nearly ten years, six of them with Mr. Wilson as Chairman, and the
remainder with Hon. John A. Bingham, of Ohio. Since that time he has
resided at Rockford, where he is principal proprietor of the unoccupied
town property, and is engaged in farming and dealing in real estate.
He is one of the most public-spirited men in the Shell Rock Valley.
He was never married.
One of the prominent
citizens of Rockford Township is a native of Holmes County, O., born
May 3, 1833. He was reared and educated in his native place, residing
there until his eighteenth year, when he came to Iowa, locating in Clayton
County in the summer of 1851. In 1872 he moved to Osceola County, and
in 1877 to Floyd County, where he has remained since. His marriage to
Bertha A. Cummings occurred Nov. 14, 1856. She was born in Michigan,
June 29, 1837. Mr. Bowles enlisted in February 1862, in the Sixteenth
United States Infantry, and served two years, participating in the battles
of Shiloh, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, Resaca, Kennesaw Gap, Atlanta
and was captured just before the memorable battle of Perryville, Ky.,
but succeeded in making his escape that night, and returned to his regiment.
He was appointed master of transportation of the army from Louisville,
Ky., to Fort Scott, Kan., and was there from June until the following
January. After the close of the war he returned to Floyd County, and
has been prominently identified with the agricultural interests of Rockford
Township since. Politically he is a strong supporter of the Republican
Is a native of England,
born June 6, 1834. He received his education in his native country,
and there learned the builder’s trade, which he followed until
1871, when he came to the United States, and to Rockford, Ia., via Chicago.
He has built many of the residences in Rockford, and has been very successful.
He was married in his native county, in 1866, to Emma Haslett, who was
born in England in 1843. Their union has been blessed with six children
–Ernest, Marian, Hugh, Blanche, Harold and Eva. The first three
were born in England, the last three in America. Mr. Braunton, in politics,
is a strong supporter of the Republican party. He is a member of the
Established Church of England.
Was born in Elizabeth,
N. J., and there his boyhood was passed, and his education received.
In 1848 he left his native State for the West, and located in Chicago,
Ill., where he engaged in the practice of law two years; then removed
to Winnebago County, Ill. He farmed on Rock River nine years, and in
1856 came to Floyd County, purchasing an interest in the town property
of Rockford. He now owns 360 acres of fine land, adjoining the city.
He was married in 1858 to Annie D. Porter, a native of Zanesville, O.,
born in 1836. They have three children – Stephen, born in 1860,
Robert in 1862, and Annie in 1871. Mr. Britton is classed with the prominent
farmers and fine-stock breeders of the county, and owns some choice
imported cattle, horses and hogs.
Was born April 17,
1825, in the State of Ohio. He lived there until 1857, when he came
to Floyd County, and settled on section 28, Rockford Township. He now
owns 230 acres of as fine land as there is in the county, all under
excellent cultivation, and containing many improvements and conveniences
not found on the average farm. He learned the miller’s trade in
Ohio, and has followed that occupation in connection with farming much
of the time since coming here. He was married in 1858. Mrs. Bumgardner
was born in Indiana in 1840. They have seven children – Albert
Newton, born in 1860; John Leeson, in 1862; Mary C., in 1864, Eddie
Jasper, in 1866; William Henry, in 1868, Estella, in 1875 and Carter,
in 1879. Mr. Bumgardner has held the office of School Director four
Is a native of the
township of Eldon, Victoria County, Canada West, and is at present engaged
in clerking in Rockford, Floyd County, Ia. He was married Feb 22, 1871,
and has a family of five children, two sons and three daughters.
Is a native of Woodstock,
Conn., born Sept. 30, 1833, a son of John Childs, a successful farmer,
and Alice, nee Walker. His parents are excellent examples of the higher
type of Puritanic character; honest, industrious and frugal, rearing
their children in the strictest principles of integrity, and early teaching
them that idleness was to be no part of their inheritance. They are
still living at the advanced age of ninety years. John Childs, Sr.,
has always been noted for his sterling Christian character, and for
doing well whatever he undertakes to do. Mrs. Childs is an estimable
woman of superior intellectual abilities, and is thoroughly posted on
all the topics of the day, and on matter pertaining to the General Government.
She is ready and expert in argument, and believes that it is a woman’s
duty, equally with her right, to inform herself in all practical knowledge
attainable by careful husbandry of spare time. She is a devoted Christian,
and has laid up a rich store of treasure for the great hereafter. John
Spencer Childs was educated in a select school in his native town, and
subsequently taught a few seasons. In March 1857, he emigrated to Iowa,
selecting Rockford as the scene of his future labors. He embarked in
the mercantile business with his brother-in-law, O. H. Lyon, now a banker
of Rockford. The firm of Childs & Lyon continued for twelve or fifteen
years, and few houses in the Shell Rock Valley were better known, or
were the recipients of more extensive trade than they. Mr. Childs is
still in the business, having operated alone until the past four years.,
since when his son Harry has been in partnership with him and manages
the entire business. Mr. Childs was married March 30, 1858, to Lydia
F. Lyon, a native of Woodstock County. They have five children –
Harry M., Alice S., Mary L., Anna G. and Leonard W. Politically he favors
the Republican party.
Is a native of Erie
County, N. Y., born in the town of Wales, Mar. 20, 1834. When sixteen
years of age he left his native State and went to Pennsylvania, returning
two years later. He subsequently emigrated to Illinois, where he remained
two years; then went back to New York; thence to Waushara County, Wis.
He owned a farm of eighty acres on section 15, Richland Township, which
he sold in 1881. He was elected to all the township offices of Richland
Township, and was Sheriff of the county two years. He came to Floyd
County, Ia., in 1873, having previously purchased land here in 1868.
He owns 160 acres and is classed with the representative farmers and
breeders of fine stock of Floyd County. He was married Dec. 10, 1856,
to Martha Leigh, who was born in England in 1833. Three children have
been born unto them – Eva T., born Dec. 5, 1857, in Waushara County,
Wis., and died in Rockford Township, Ia., Feb. 17, 1878, of typhoid
fever, Addie I., born August 1862 and Frank, Dec. 7, 1868. In his religious
views Mr. Cogswell is a Liberalist, and politically is a Republican,
and has been elected by that party to many of the local offices. He
is at present serving as Road Supervisor and School Director, to the
entire satisfaction of his constituents.
One of the prominent citizens of Rockford Township, was born in Wales, Erie County, N. Y., Feb. 7, 1840, and was there reared and educated. He emigrated to Ogle County, Ill., in 1861, and engaged in farming there until 1880, when he removed to Floyd County, Ia., and settled upon his present farm of 140 acres, on section 2, Rockford Township. This farm is under excellent improvement and thoroughly stocked. He was married Nov. 20, 1856, to Frances Hubbard, also a native of Erie County, N. Y., born Oct. 1, 1841. They have had four children – Ettie, born Feb. 18, 1859; Willie, born Mar 1, 1865, died March. 25, 1870; Minnie Ellen, born Nov. 23, 1869 and Lizzie, Sept. 18, 1874. Mr. Cogswell is at present serving acceptably in the offices of Road Supervisor and School Director. In politics he is a strong Republican.
Rockford, Ia., was born in Otsego County, N. Y., Dec. 21, 1843. When
twelve years of age he came West with his parents, locating in Madison,
Wis.; thence, in 1856, to Lake County, Ill. They resided there until
the fall of 1868, then removed to Floyd County, Ia., settling in Rockford
Township, where his father died in December 1879. His mother is till
a resident of Floyd County. Mr. Albert Collins enlisted June 7, 1864
in Company F, Thirty-eighth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and
served one year. He was wounded at Petersburg, Va., on picket line,
Jan. 3, 1865, losing his left arm. He was honorably discharged at Washington,
D. C., April 17, 1865. He returned to Illinois, then his home, and resided
there until 1868, then became a resident of Rockford, Ia. He has been
acting Deputy Postmaster most of the time since. He was married at Shell
Rock, Ia., Sept. 12, 1872, to Ellen L. Palmer, a native of Castleton,
Vt., born May 7, 1852. In politics Mr. Collins is a strong supporter
of the Republican party.
Was born in Holland,
Erie County, N. Y., Aug. 22, 1832. His father, S. B. Conner, was born
in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., in 1811 and died March 1, 1877. His mother
Tufanny Dake, was born in Holland, N. Y., March 22, 1815 and died March
24, 1872. His parents were early settlers of Holland, N. Y., and moved
to Wisconsin, where they both died. They had nine children; seven are
still living. While in New York, Mr. Conner carried on the daguerreotype
business for seven years. In 1862 he went to Warren County, Pa., where
he lived three years. He then moved to Wisconsin and remained six years;
from there, to Floyd County, Ia., and settled in Ulster Township; two
years later went to Rudd and lived four years; then came to Rockford,
where he kept a restaurant for three years, then he sold out, and has
since followed painting most of the time. He has had a wooden leg since
he was fifteen years old. His wife, Urania E. Crowell, was born in Centerville,
Allegany County, N. Y. Sept. 23, 1827. Her father, Samuel Crowell, died
in New York in 1862. She was the oldest of his seven children. Her uncle,
Edward Crowell, was one of the first settlers of Floyd County, and owned
a large farm. He died in Ulster Township, in 1880. His large family
of fourteen children all reside in Iowa.
One of the representative
citizens of Rockford Township was born in Cayuga County, N. Y., June
26, 1847. His father is a native of Herkimer County, N. Y., born June
3, 1810; his mother, of Pennsylvania, born Jan. 21. 1821. They are now
residents of Cerro Gordo County, Ia. The subject of this memoir came
West with his parents in 1854, settling in Wisconsin, where they resided
eighteen months, then removed to Floyd County, Ia., locating on a farm
about four miles south of Charles City. One year later they went to
Cerro Gordo County, where C. E. resided eight years, engaged in farming.
He was married on Jan. 8, 1879, to Josephine M. Perness, who was born
in LaSalle County, Ill., March 4, 1847. Two children have been born
of this union – Cynthia M., born May 9, 1880, and Clara, Feb.
4, 1882. In politics Mr. Cutter is independent, voting for the man rather
than the party. He is extensively engaged in farming and stock-raising
in this township.
Miller and grain
merchant, Rockford, was born in the State of Connecticut, Oct. 15, 1849.
His parents moved to Kewanee, Henry County, Ill., when he was quite
young, and he was there educated and learned the miller’s trade,
which he followed there three years; then went to Minnesota, where his
parents had moved in the spring of 1870. He worked in a mill two years,
then engaged with the topographical surveyors on the St. P. & P.
R. R., now the St. P., M & M. In the fall of 1872 he resumed the
milling business, being employed in the Sauk Center and Minneapolis
Mills until December 1875, when in company with his brother William,
Peter and Wm. Henry, formed a milling company at Belle Plaine, Minn.,
and continued in that connection until the fall of 1878. He and his
brother William then came to Rockford, Ia., where he has been running
the Excelsior Mills since. His brother returned to Belle Plaine in 1880,
where he is engaged in running the mill they formerly owned. Mr. Davies
was married Sept. 15, 1880, to Laura Stearns, who was born in Pittsfield,
Mass., April 26, 1846. She is a member of the Congregational church.
In politics he is a Republican, and is one of the prominent citizens
of Rockford, being known throughout the county as a man of irreproachable
Was born in the
State of New York, July 27, 1853, and was the youngest of a family of
three children, viz.: Nathan, Lucius and Jay. In 1856 he left his native
State, and with his parents moved to Wisconsin, settling in Columbia
County. He received a practical education there, and in 1868 came with
his parents to Floyd County, Ia. They settled upon a farm on 360 acres,
on sections 9 and 10, which they still reside upon. Jay manages the
farm for his parents, who are now in their declining years, and in connection
with farming operates a steam threshing machine. He is a Republican
in his political views, and is classed with the prominent farmers and
stock-raisers of Floyd County.
Was born in Otsego
County, N. Y., May 19, 1806. In 1856 he left his native State for the
West, and located in Baraboo, Wis. From there he moved to Columbia County,
that State; thence to Floyd County, Ia. He settled on section 9, Rockford
Township, where he now owns a finely cultivated farm of 360 acres. He
was married in Otsego County, N. Y., on June 8, 1834, to Harriet A.
Coe, a native also of the Empire State, born in the town of Scriba,
on April 5, 1813. Five children have blessed this union, viz: Samuel,
born April 18, 1835; Louisa, Nov. 9, 1837; Lucius B., April 1, 1843;
Nathan H., June 5, 1848; and Charles Jay, July 27, 1851. The eldest
son, Samuel, was drowned in the Tennessee River at Paducah, Ky., on
March 25, 1864, while serving in the Union army, a member of Thirty-second
Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. Mr. Dumbolton has retired from active
business life, and his son, Charles Jay, is managing the farm. He is
classed with the prominent agriculturists and stock-breeders of Floyd
County, and in politics is a strong Republican.
Proprietor of the Beebe House, Rockford, Ia., was born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., July 30, 1839. At the age of seven years he came West with his parents, locating in Green Lake County, Wis., where he remained until March 4, 1864, when he came to Rockford, Floyd County, Ia. Since his residence here he has engaged in the hotel business, and is known throughout the county as a genial, gentlemanly host, and a popular landlord. He was married March 14, 1864, to Miss Frances Beebe, a native of Attica, Wyoming County, N. Y., born Feb. 14, 1844. They have three children – Jennie C., born May 29, 1865; Frank, Nov. 11, 1868, and Robert Nelson, Feb. 26, 1874. Mrs. Durkee is a member of the Congregational church. He has always been a strong supporter of the Democratic party.
One of the prominent
citizens of Rockford is a native of Magdeburg, Prussia, born in 1839.
He emigrated to London, England, in 1858, and to the United States in
1859. He came to Delaware County, Ia., in 1860, and ten years later
to Floyd County. He farmed until 1875, and in that year commenced the
study of law at the State University at Iowa City, continuing until
1877, and has practiced law in Charles City and Rockford from that time
until the present. He edited the Rockford Reveille from July 1877 to
July 1882, and is now engaged in the erection of a paper mill. He was
married to Miss Maggie Hoffman at Rockford, Ia., Nov. 7, 1877. She was
born in Freeport, Ill., in 1858. Of thee children born of this union,
two are living – Alfred and Alice. As a lawyer of undisputed talent,
Mr. Eggert ranks with the first of his profession; and as a gentleman
of eminent social qualities, he has few superiors.
Was born in Steuben
County, N. Y., Dec. 22, 1832. He was married Jan. 18, 1855, to Elizabeth
Conrad, who was born in Hinsdale, Cattaraugus County, N. Y., Jan 7,
1830. There are two adopted children – F. D., born Feb. 23, 1855
and Hattie, born Feb 22, 1877. Mr. Evans came to Floyd County, Iowa,
in 1867, and now has a fine farm of 100 acres on section 34, Rockford
Township. He is a Republican in his political views and has held the
office of School Director and Road Supervisor several terms. In religious
belief he is a Methodist. He enlisted Feb. 2, 1864, in the First New
York Independent Battery, and was discharged June 23, 1865, in Syracuse,
N. Y. He was in several hard fought battles, among them the battle of
the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, and Cold Harbor, Va. In 1856,
while living in New York, some fallen timber near his house took fire,
and as it was a very dry time, and a strong wind blowing, they were
unable to save the house or contents. His family were obliged to take
refuge in a well nearby, in which there was not much water. They threw
their bed clothes and carpets into the well, but were obliged to dip
water and pour on them, as the fire brands were blown in on them. In
this way they spent three hours, twelve feet below the earth’s
surface. The fire-fiend seems to have a special spite against him, for
in 1866, while living in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., he had his storehouse
and all his goods destroyed by fire.
Was born Feb. 23,
1855, in Alleghany County, N. Y. He was adopted by A. H. Evans in 1856,
and came with him to Floyd County, Ia., in 1867. He follows farming
as his profession.
was born in Rockford, Winnebago County, Ill., Jan. 28, 1843, the youngest
of a family of two sons born of Burton R. Franklin, a native of New
York, born March 3, 1811, and Rachel K., nee Bushnell, born July 30,
1810. His father died March 27, 1861; his mother is still living and
resides with her son, the subject of this sketch. His brother, James
Franklin, died Nov. 21, 1874, in this city, aged thirty-four years.
C. R. resided in Rockford, Ill., until thirteen years of age, when he
came with his parents to Rockford, Ia. He enlisted Sept. 21, 1861, in
the Dubuque battery, served four years and three months, and was mustered
out at Davenport, Ia. Among the important battles in which he participated
were those of Flat Creek, Pea Ridge, Arkansas Post, the bombardment
of Fort Pemberton, Helena, Ark., and was present at the capture of Little
Rock. He returned to Rockford and was appointed Postmaster here on Oct.
15, 1877, by President Grant, and still holds the office. He was married
June 18, 1867, to Clara E. Bailey, who was born near London, Eng. Seven
children have blessed their union, viz.: Burton E., born Oct. 2, 1868;
Frederick B., April 18, 1870, died July 16, 1880; Edmond R., born Jan
21, 1872; Harriet A., Oct. 21, 1874; Florence B., Oct. 12, 1876, Cora
B., Aug. 1, 1878 and James P., Jan. 23, 1881. Mr. Franklin in his political
views is a pronounced Republican, and in religious faith is a Congregationalist.
Is a native of Pittsford,
Vt., born Feb 18, 1824. He grew to man hood in his native city, and
at the age of eighteen engaged in the milling business there. In the
spring of 1852 he went to California via the Isthmus of Panama. He was
detained on the Isthmus one month, and eighty out of 900 passengers
that were on board the vessel with him died of sickness. He arrived
in San Francisco, Cal., July 8, 1852, and owing to the dry weather could
not mine, so he obtained employment in Sacramento in a corn mill, the
owner giving him full charge and $150 a month. Through Mr. Graham’s
instrumentality bolting cloths were put into the mill, and flour was
manufactured out of wheat raised in California. Thus he has the honor
of making the first flour made in that State – it is so recorded
in the city of Washington D. C., today. After a few months the city
of Sacramento was destroyed by fire and the mill was burned. Mr. Graham
then engaged in mining, being very successful. He struck a bonanza,
taking out $8.000 in five weeks. He remained in California until 1853,
and on July 24 of that year he embarked on a steamer for Vermont. In
the fall of 1853 he came to Iowa, locating in Clayton County, where
he bought 400 acres of land and built a saw mill on the Little Turkey
River, which he operated four years, and in the meantime built a flouring
mill for Mr. Gillmore of that place. He sold out his interest and came
to Marble Rock, Floyd County, Ia., and built a fine flouring mill near
there, which he operated one year, and in the spring of 1861 a terrible
flood of water and ice swept his mill away, leaving him entirely destitute.
With that determination to succeed that has always characterized him,
he went at once to Rockford, and in company with George Wyatt, built
a flouring mill on Lime Creek, which he ran nine years; then went to
Portland, Ia., and there built a mill, selling it one year later, and
in 1871 he returned to Rockford and built his present mill. It has five
run of burs, one patent roll, and is one of the most complete mills
in the county. From the foregoing it will be seen that Mr. Graham has
the honor of having built the first flower mills in Millville, Clayton
County; Marble Rock and Rockford, Floyd County, and Port and Cerro Gordo
County Ia. On Sept. 16, 1854, Mr. Graham was married to Ann S. Strong,
a native of Brandon, Vt. Three children have blessed this union, viz.:
Walter S., born June 18, 1855, Carrie A., June 20, 1861 and Frank, Sept.
16, 1863. Mr. Graham owns 270 acres of fine land, and a beautiful residence,
which is a great contrast to the little cabin to which he brought his
young wife in 1854. In politics he is a Republican.
Was born in Rensselaer
County, N. Y., and became a resident of Floyd County, Iowa, in 1865.
He located at once in Rockford Township, where he followed farming until
five years ago, when failing health compelled him to discontinue the
arduous duties of farm life. He sold his land and moved into the town
of Rockford, where he has resided since. He was married Nov. 13, 1860
to Adeline Clark, who was born in New York, Oct. 30, 1837. They have
one child, a daughter, Grace, born July 29, 1866. Mr. Green’s
father was born in the State of New York, Jan. 24, 1797, and died there
Aug. 15, 1870, at the age of seventy-four years. His mother is a native
of Rhode Island, born in 1799, and is now residing with her daughter,
Mrs. Elms, in Floyd County. In his political views Mr. Green is a Republican.
Mrs. Green is a member of the Congregational church.
Was born in the
town of Berlin, Berkshire County, N. Y., May 6, 1815. When fourteen
years of age he left his native place, and went to Williamstown, Mass.,
where he worked in a woolen factory, manufacturing satinet, about four
years; then went to Stephentown, N. Y., where he attended school one
year, and at the age of nineteen went to Rowe, Mass.; worked in a woolen
factory there six months, attended school at Stephentown the following
winter, and in 1837 removed to Barry, Ill. He returned to New York eighteen
months later and worked at his former business one year; then purchased
an interest in a wool-carding and cloth-dressing establishment, which
was destroyed by fire in 1841. He rebuilt his factory, and in 1843 sold
it and went to Massachusetts, where he remained two years, then spent
six months in South Coventry, Conn. Returning to Massachusetts, he purchased
an interest in a cloth factory, selling out in one year. In 1851 he
came West, locating in Janesville, Wis., and in 1854 he settled in Floyd
County. When he came to Iowa he settled on the farm which he now owns,
on section 14, township 95. He first entered 160 acres in 1854, and
the following spring an eighty adjoining. They erected a log cabin,
in which they lived six years. His tools were a common ax, a saw and
a hammer. He built this cabin during the Indian troubles near Clear
Lake. When he moved into his cabin the settlers were camped all about
it. While this was in process of construction he and his family lived
in their wagon three weeks. Such hardships were discouraging, and it
was for such men as Mr. Green to grapple with these difficulties when
many would have given up and returned to civilization. Mr. Green now
has a reward for his zeal and enterprise in the possession of one of
the most beautiful homes in the county. He has bought twenty acres adjoining
the old farm, on which he has built an elegant residence, and where
he is surrounded with every comfort of life. He also owns 160 acres
of land on section 16. He was married in 1841 to Harriet Douglas, who
died leaving one child – Harriet G. A., born in August 1842, and
married John Reid. In 1845 Mr. Green married Mary Ann Ryndus, in Massachusetts.
Mr. and Mrs. Green are prominent members of the Congregational church,
in which he is a Deacon. In politics he is a Republican.
One of the representative
citizens of Rockford, Ia., was born in Hampsted, near London, England,
May 4, 1814. He was married in London in 1833, to Anna Payne, who was
born in that city in 1813. Three children blessed this union –
William, born in 1834, was killed by a kick to the breast from a horse;
Margaret, born in 1835, died in 1862, and Sophia, born in 1843, married
Dr. Irwin, now of Rockford. They have two sons – R. P., who is
a partner in the drug store, and William. Mr. Griffin came with his
family to America, landed at New York, and from there went to Newburg;
stopped one month, thence to Albany, where he engaged in the butcher
business two years, then came West, locating in Quincy, Ill., in 1837.
One year later he removed to Tulla, Mo., where he embarked in the pork
and beef packing business until 1842, and in that year returned to his
native country. He remained in England ten years, and while there, in
1851, attended the World’s Fair at London. In 1852 he returned
to the United States, and located near Madison, Wis., where he farmed
four years, and in 1862 came to Floyd County, Ia. He spent one year
in Charles City, prior to locating in Rockford. Since his residence
here he has engaged in the drug business, and has been fairly successful.
He formed a partnership with his son-in-law, Dr. Irwin, who died, and
his son is now the partner. He is thoroughly versed in pharmacy, and
is a skillful and reliable druggist. In his political view he is a Republican,
and is a member of the Church of England.
Was born in Norway
July 15, 1835. When fifteen years of age he emigrated to America, landed
at Quebec, and from there went to White Water, Wis., where he remained
some sixteen years, working a part of the time in the pineries of Michigan.
In 1864 he came to Iowa, spent one year in Bradford, then bought a farm
in Bremer County, upon which he resided six years, then moved to Clayton
County. One year Later he sold his farm in the latter county and removed
to Rockford Township, Floyd County, He has resided in this township,
spending a part of the time in the City of Rockford and the remainder
on his farm on section 4. He also owns land on section 30, his possessions
altogether amounting to 340 acres of excellent land. He was married
July 5, 1860, to Jane White, a native of England, born July 25, 1839.
They have seven children – Mary Ann, born in August 1861; Rosa,
in December 1862; Verena, January 1865; Elliott, in April 1867; Gee,
in April 1873; Cora, in January 1876, and Clarence, in February 1879.
In politics, Mr. Hanson is a pronounced Republican.
One of the pioneer
children of Iowa, was born in Delaware County, Ia., Dec. 13, 1852, and
when a mere baby was brought by his parents to Floyd County. They settled
in Rock Grove Township, and D. A. was reared and educated in the common
schools of that vicinity; also attended the Osage Seminary two years.
On Nov. 11, 1880, he purchased his present farm of sixty acres, on section
28, Rockford Township, which he now has under excellent improvement.
He was married March 20, 1880, to Ella Fleanor, who was born in Rock
Grove, March 25, 1860. They have one child - Ray, born July 27, 1882.
Mr. Hardman is a member of the Baptist church, and in politics is a
Republican. His father, David Hardman, was born in Ohio in 1817, and
died in Rock Grove Township, Floyd County, April 17, 1882. His mother
is a native of Indiana, born in 1819. She is still living on the old
and one of the prominent business men of Rockford, is a native of Ludlow,
Windsor County, Vt., born March 3, 1826. He was educated in his native
State, and resided there until twenty years of age, when he went to
Pennsylvania, and two years later removed to Winnebago County, Ill.
He resided there seven years, and in 1855 came to Floyd County, Ia.
Since 1856 he has been a resident of Rockford Township. He followed
the carpenter’s trade chiefly until 1876, when he embarked in
his present business, and has met with flattering success. He served
as Township Clerk for about ten years, and was elected Justice of the
Peace in 1878, and has held the office to the present time. He was married
in 1849, to Sarah Jane Knapp, who was born in 1829. Three children have
blessed this union, viz.: Ella J., born in September 1850; Emmett M.,
March 30, 1854, and Laura O., Jan. 22, 1860. Mr. Haven enlisted Aug.
21, 1862 in the Twenty-seventh Iowa Infantry, and served until Aug.
8, 1865, when he was mustered out at Clinton, Ia. He participated in
many of the hard fought battles of the war, and though often where shot
and shell fell thickest, escaped unhurt. He is a member of the regular
Baptist church, and in politics is a Republican, and a Prohibitionist.
Was born at Chester,
Orange County, N. Y., Sept. 7, 1857. His father was a physician of considerable
reputation, and a man of excellent character. He married Ruth A. Davis,
and to them five children were born, four girls and one boy, Charles
being the third child. His parents died when he was young. He and one
of his sisters were cared for by an uncle and aunt, who resided on a
stock farm, situated eight miles from Newburg, on the Newburg &
Goshen Turnpike. He received a liberal English education, and lived
with his uncle until his uncle’s decease, which occurred Dec.
13, 1877. The next two years his attention was turned to farming; but
becoming embued with a desire to locate West, he left his native State,
May 1, 1880, at the age of twenty-two, and proceeded to the western
part of Nebraska, where he spent several months among the great stock
ranches. From Nebraska he returned to New York, and in passing through
Iowa made a short sojourn in Des Moines, where he became so impressed
with the business inducements Iowa offered young men, that he remained
in his native State but three months, when he returned to Iowa, April
1, 1881, and engaged in butter-making for A. F. Bingham at Jesup, Buchanan
County. From Jesup he proceeded to Rockford, Floyd County, and on Jan.
20, 1882, leased E. Price’s creamery and opened the same the following
season for the manufacture of butter, making a gilt-edged article, which
is shipped to the Eastern markets.
Was born in Erie
County, N. Y., July 7, 1850. He came to Rockford Ia., in 1878, from
Ogle County, Ill., where he located in 1866. He rented land the first
year of his residence here, then bought 198 acres on section 3, this
township, taking possession Oct. 1, 1878. He has lived upon his land
since, and is now one of the finest cultivated farms in this section.
He was married Jan 9, 1872, to Mary E. Hayes, who was born in Ogle County
Ill., Dec. 23, 1853. Four children have been born of their union, viz.:
Arthur (deceased), Eva, Minnie E., and Edna F. Mr. Hubbard is a Republican
in politics and a strong supporter of that party.
Was born in New
Haven, Conn., April 1, 1831. His father died when he was four years
old, and he went to live with his grandfather, who resided on a farm
near the city of New Haven. He remained with him, attending school and
assisting on the farm, until 1848, and from that time until 1853 engaged
in railroading and sailing from New Haven to the West Indies. In the
fall of the latter year he emigrated to Rockford, Ill., where he spent
four years as clerk in a general store, then returned to Connecticut
and was married there to Harriet A. Clarke, daughter of Alfred Clarke,
of West Haven, Conn. In March 1857, Mr. Johnson settled in Rockford,
Iowa, and has since resided here with the exception of six months spent
at Mason City, one of her most honored and respected citizens. He embarked
in the mercantile business here in company with Mr. Charles Smith, remaining
with him five years, when R. C. Mathews purchased Mr. Smith’s
interest and the business was conducted under the firm name of Johnson
& Mathews five years. Mr. Johnson then disposed of his stock to
R. N. Mathews, father of his former partner, and since engaged in the
real estate and stock-growing business. He now owns 2,300 acres in Floyd
and Cerro Gordo counties, besides a large interest in the town property
of Rockford. His family consists of three children – Frederick
C., born Jan. 1, 1858; Wilbert D., Nov. 10, 1861, and Alfred N., Oct.
31, 1866. The two former are engaged in the hardware business in this
city and Alfred is attending school. Mrs. Johnson is a member of the
Episcopal church, and politically he is a Democrat.
Was born in Otsego
County, N. Y., May 22, 1820, and was there reared and educated. In 1857
he emigrated to Wisconsin, locating in Prairie Du Chien, where he resided
fifteen years, and in 1872 came to Rockford, Ia. He settled upon a farm
in this township and now owns 400 acres of fine land on sections 6 and
29. He is extensively engaged in farming and makes a specialty of raising
fine stock, owning some of the finest breeds in the county, including
some choice Kentucky thoroughbreds. He was married in 1842 to Lorana
Van Etten in Oswego County, N. Y., where she was born Aug. 19, 1821.
Three children have blessed their union, viz.: Elizabeth, now Mrs. Ogden
Ruggles, born Oct. 12, 1844; George A., born in October 1847, married
O. E. Miller, and Emma, born Nov. 7, 1855, married H. L. Mitchell. Mr.
Kelso had a narrow escape from a tornado, which passed over this region,
June 24, 1882. The storm struck the Congregational church, completely
demolishing it, and thus spent its fury before reaching his dwelling.
But it dealt less gently with his barn, which was completely unroofed
and the shingles scattered to the four winds of heaven. Mr. Kelso is
a strong supporter of the Republican party.
Is a native of Erie
County, N. Y., born Mar. 10, 1820, and made that place his home until
1872, being engaged extensively in farming, and also conducting a dairy.
In 1854 he made a trip to Illinois, and resided near Chicago three years,
then returned to New York. In 1872 he came to Iowa, locating in Rockford
Township, where he has remained since, an honored and respected citizen.
He owns eighty acres of land in Ulster Township, besides his farm of
160 acres on section 36, Rockford Township. He was married in March
1851 in his native state to Hannah Parker, who was born in New York,
in 1822, and died there on Mar. 18, 1861. He was married to his present
wife Jane Leigh, on June 17, 1862. Mr. Kimball is a strong supporter
of the Republican party.
Was born in Winnebago
County, Ill., Mar. 9, 1840, and lived there until he was sixteen years
old when he came to Rockford, Floyd County, Ia., and has resided here
since. He served four years and four months in the late Rebellion having
enlisted in the Ninth Iowa Regiment Volunteer Infantry, and also served
in the Third Iowa Battery, as a gunner. He served under Captains Hayden,
Melvin C. Wright and O. H. Lyon. He participated in many of the hard
fought battles of the war, thirteen in number, among them Pea Ridge,
Helena, Arkansas Post, Pemberton and others. He was mustered out with
his comrades at Davenport, Ia., and came home to Rockford, where he
was married Sept. 22, 1867, to Cynthia De Wolf, who was born June 6,
1850. The fruit of this marriage is three children – Laura, born
Sept. 21, 1868, died Mar. 23, 1869; Burton, born Aug. 18, 1873, died
Oct. 10, 1873, and Owen A., born May 13, 1879. Mr. Knapp owns a finely
cultivated farm of 120 acres on section 33, Rockford Township, and in
politics is a Republican.
One of the prominent
citizens of Rockford, is a native of New York State, born May 21, 1839.
From New York he went to McKeen County, PA., where he resided five years,
engaged in the drug business, and in June 1876 came to Rockford, Floyd
County. He has resided here since with the exception of nine months
during the year 1881, which he spent in Pennsylvania. Mr. Leigh has
ever been active in any project that promised progression to his adopted
city, and has done much for her improvement. In 1876 he erected a large
stone house on the corner of what is now known as Leigh’s Block,
and in 1878 built in the same block Leigh’s Hall, and later, in
1879 a building now occupied as a drug store, and another now used as
a saloon. Besides his city property he owns 140 acres of fine land in
this township. He was married July 4, 1867, to Florence Davis, who was
born in Pennsylvania in 1850. They have one child – Leon, born
July 16, 1870. In his political views he is a Republican, and has served
as a member of the City Council.
Grain and stock
dealer, Rockford, Ia., was born in Stratford-upon-Avon, England, May
9, 1840. He emigrated to the United States in September, 1862, landing
at Boston, Mass., and from there went at once to New York, thence to
Watertown, Wis. He was married there in 1865 to Miss Addie Vanness,
who was born in New York State in 1840. Mr. Lindon has been prominently
identified with the grain and stock business of Wisconsin and Iowa for
the past twenty years, and is at present managing a large grain elevator
at Rockford, in company with D. D. Cutler. He is a member of the Episcopal
church, and in politics is a strong supporter of the Democratic party.
Mr. Lindon has been a resident of Floyd County for the past ten years.
Was born in the
town of Paris, Grant County, Wis., June 14, 1843. He came to Rockford
Township, Floyd County, Ia., on May 2, 1877, and settled on his present
farm of 160 acres, on section 30. He is extensively engaged in grain
and stock raising, and his farm is one of the finest in this vicinity.
On Dec. 25, 1869, he was united in marriage with Celia H. Taylor, likewise
a native of Paris, Wis., born Mar. 11, 1846. Two children have blessed
this union, viz.: Julia A., born Oct. 14, 1870, and Thomas O., Nov.
7, 1872. Mr. Longbotham was reared in the Republican school of politics
and is still a strong adherent to the principles of that party.
Was born in Johnstown,
Fulton County, N. Y., Aug. 27, 1814, and was there reared and educated.
When twenty-one years of age he went to London, Canada West, and remained
there eleven years, engaged principally in milling. From London he emigrated
to Belvidere, Boone County, Ill., thence in 1868 to Ogle County, that
State. In 1873 he located in Marshalltown, Ia.; remained there five
years, then came to Rockford Township, Floyd County. He purchased 140
acres on sections 11 and 12 and has resided there ever since. His farm
is under excellent improvement and thoroughly stocked. He was married
Nov. 22, 1838, to Carolina M. Odell, in London, Canada, where she was
born, Aug. 12, 1816. Their union has been blessed with the following
named children: John L., born Mar. 10, 1840; Joseph A., July 30, 1842;
James E., born Sept. 10, 1846, died Feb. 3, 1865, and Charles F., Aug.
10, 1851. The family were formerly members of the Presbyterian church
but are now members of the Methodist. In his political view Mr. McEwen
is a strong Republican.
Was born in Springfield,
Mass., May 31, 1844. His parents were natives of the County of Kerry,
Ireland, from which county they emigrated in 18__. In 1833 they located
in Fond du Lac County, Wis. Maurice McKenna studied law in the office
of Messrs. Blair & Colman, and also in the office of H. F. Rose,
at Fond du Lac, Wis. He was elected, on the Democratic ticket, for three
successive terms, Clerk of the Courts of Fond du Lac County, Wis., serving
six years in that capacity. He was also Vice President of the Star Printing
Company, in said city. In 1876 he was admitted, in the Fourth Judicial
District of the State of Wisconsin, to practice as an attorney at law,
and has practiced his profession since. In 1875 he married Miss Nellie
Fagan. He served in the war of the Rebellion, having been a member of
Company I, Thirty-ninth Wisconsin Infantry, going out with his regiment,
serving chiefly in Mississippi and Tennessee; and having completed his
term of service, was, with his comrades, discharged at Milwaukee, Wis.,
in September 1864. He has also published a volume of poems. He is now
a resident of Rockford, Ia., being a member of the Floyd County bar,
and is successfully engaged in the practice of law at that place.
Rockford, embarked in the produce business at this place in 1872, continuing
until 1881, when he added to that a stock of general merchandise, and
by strict attention to business, and by keeping on hand a full and complete
line of goods to meet the demands of his customers, has succeeded in
building up a fine trade. A native of Louisville, Ky., he was born Feb.
22, 1849, and at an early age moved with his parents to Evansville,
Ind., where he was reared and educated. When fifteen years old he returned
to his native city, and there learned the jeweler’s trade, and
four years afterward went to St. Louis, Mo., where he spent one year,
working at his trade; thence to Henderson, Ky. He clerked in a hardware
store at that place three years, and in 1872 located in Rockford, Ia.,
where he has been actively identified with the business interest since.
On Nov. 3, 1876, he was united in marriage with Amanda Baker, a native
of Indiana County, Pa. They have two children – Blanche, born
March 1, 1878, and C. F., Nov. 3, 1880. Mr. Myers is a Democrat in his
Son of H. W. Mitchell,
is a native of Illinois, born in Stephenson County, Jan. 17, 1850. When
four years old he moved with his father to Portage County, Wis., and
resided there eleven years. In 1865 the family settled in Floyd County,
Ia., and Clark E. has made Rockford Township his home principally since.
In 1877 his father moved to Stephens Point, Wis., where he is now engaged
in the lumber traffic. The subject of this sketch is one of a family
of seven children, five sons and two daughters, viz.: Z. T., a resident
of Rockford, Ia.; H. L., a farmer in Union Township; J. S., in business
with his father in Wisconsin; Frank H., conducting a large farm at Fargo,
D. T.; Mary L., residing in Randolph, Wis., and Anna, living with her
father. Mr. C. E. Mitchell was married Oct. 6, 1874, to Blanche E. Jackson,
who was born in Beloit, Wis., Apr. 15, 1851. They have two children
– Maud, born Nov. 3, 1876, and Lavantia, Jan. 14, 1880. Mr. Mitchell
owns a fine farm of 640 acres on sections 21 and 22, and is classed
with the prominent agriculturists and stock-breeders of Floyd County.
Politically he is a Democrat.
A prominent farmer
and stock-breeder of Floyd County, was born in the State of Pennsylvania,
Oct. 28, 1841. He emigrated with his parents to Erie County, N. Y.,
in 1842, and lived there until 1875 when he came West, locating in Ogle
County, Ill. One year later he came to Floyd County, Ia., and settle
in Rockford Township. The first year of his residence here he rented
land of S. Kimball, then purchased 159 acres on section 25, where he
still resides. On Oct. 29, 1866, he married Elody A. Cogswell, who was
born in Erie County, N. Y., June 3, 1847. Three children have blessed
this union – Addie, born Oct. 2, 1867; Jennie E., born Feb. 12,
1872, died Feb. 28, 1874, and Maud, born July 16, 1878. Politically
Mr. Moore favors the Republican party.
Was born March 1,
1832, in England, and was reared and educated in his native country.
He was married there Sept. 24, 1854, to Hannah Britnell, who died in
McGregor, Ia., Oct. 22, 18__. Four children blessed their union, viz:
Clara J., Born Oct. 14, 1855; Mary A., born Oct. 20, 1857, died Dec.
1, 1857; Mary M. born June 12, 1859, died April 27, 1867, and Abbie
M., born July 14, 1861. Mr. Parsons was married the second time on May
12, 1865, to Mary Hazlett, who was born in Ireland, May 13, 1839. They
have had eight children – Ella, born March 26, 1866; Jennie, born
Aug. 13, 1867, died April 21, 1868; George A., born March 8, 1869; Effie,
Jan 18, 1871; Lottie, June 2, 1873; Edith M., Aug. 16, 1875; Will, Oct.
3, 1877, and Fredrick Garfield, Oct. 23, 1881. Mr. Parsons emigrated
to America in 1853; landed at New York, spent two weeks in Fulton County,
that State, then emigrated to Sauk County, Wis., where he remained eight
years; then to Columbia County, Wis., and from there to McGregor, Ia.
He lived in that city eleven years, then came to Floyd County, settling
upon his present farm of 192 ½ acres on section 34, Rockford
Township. His land is under excellent improvement, and thoroughly stocked.
In politics he is a pronounced Republican.
Was born in Rockford,
Ill., April 30, 1856, a son of John Riche, a native of Franklin County,
Ind., born Oct. 27, 1821, and Julia (Wilkins) Riche, who was born in
Addison County, N. Y., Jan. 26, 1828. John Riche lived in his native
State until fifteen years of age, when he went with his father to Berrien
County, Mich., and from there to Winnebago County, Ill., in 1840. He
followed farming there until October 1879, when he moved to Rockford
Township, Floyd County, Ia., and settled on section 31. He owns 220
acres of finely cultivated land. Mr. and Mrs. J. Riche have been blessed
with eleven children, viz.: Sarah H., born Nov. 12, 1849; Ella Maria,
born Sept. 4, 1851, was killed by a pile of lumber falling upon her
June 29, 1854; Emma M., born May 4, 1855, died May 13 of that year;
Elmer A., born April 30, 1856; Lyman W., Born Feb 23, 1859, died March
9, 1859; Frank H., born March 8, 1861, died the 21st of that month;
Francis M., born July 18, 1864; Mertie R., Aug. 19, 1867; Charles H.,
May 22, 1869; Alonzo C., born June 29, 1871, died June 16, 1873; Hattie
L., born Oct. 7, 1872, died Feb. 8, 1874. Mr. Riche and wife are prominent
members of the M. E. church. The subject of this memoir was educated
in the district schools of Illinois, where he lived until he came with
his father to Iowa in 1879. He was married Aug. 14, 1879, to Marian
Patterson, who was born in Winnebago County, Ill., Oct. 21, 1855. They
have one child – Alice Julia, born Oct. 19, 1880. They are members
of the M. E. church, and politically he is a strong Republican.
Is a native of Washtenaw
County, Mich., born April 9, 1830, and when only one year old he went
with his parents to Livingston County, N. Y., where he resided until
1844, then removed to Rockford, Winnebago, County, Ill. In 1855 he came
to Floyd County, locating in Charles City, where he remained one year,
and in 1856 settled in Rockford Township, where he has since resided.
He engaged in farming and staging from Charles City, Rudd and other
points until the railroad was built through this place, and since then
has carried on the livery business. He has always been an active politician,
and gives his support to the Republican party, and prior to the organization
of that party was a Whig. He was married in 1854 to Emeline Knapp, who
was born in 1826, and died in 1879, having been the mother of two children
– Arthur, born in 1856 and Louis born in 1864, died in 1871. Mr.
Robbins’ father, Benjamin, was born in Fredford, Vt., in 1798,
and is now living with his son in Rockford, Ia. He was a soldier in
the war of 1812. There are four generations now living at the house
of O. N. Robbins in Rockford. He rode a team of fifty-two span of horses
in 1844, at Geneseo, N. Y., during the campaign of Henry Clay, when
he made a speech at that place.
Is a native of Canada,
born Aug. 20, 1855. He came to Iowa in 1866, locating in Cedar Falls,
where he resided fourteen years, and in 1880 came to Rockford, Floyd
County. He purchased six town lots near the B., C. R. & N. R. R.
depot where he erected a nice comfortable residence, and is still residing.
He is now employed with Robert Eggert in the erection of a paper mill
on the Shell Rock River, in South Rockford. He married Mary Sweetser,
who was born in Portland, Me., Aug. 2, 1855. Two children have blessed
this union, Viz.: - Everard M., born Sept 6, 1878, and Harry E., Aug.
12, 1881. Mr. and Mrs. Roberts are consistent members of the Methodist
church, and politically he is a Republican. He is a man of sober and
industrious habits, and is much respected in the community in which
One of the prominent
citizens of Rockford Township was born in Broome County, N. Y., April
23, 1838. When sixteen years of age he left his native State and went
to Fond du Lac, Wis., where he resided eight years, attending school.
He went to Minnesota where he read and practiced law two years, and
in 1864 enlisted in the Sixteenth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and
served until the close of the war, engaging in many a hard fought battle.
He was with Sherman on his famous march to the sea, and was at the battle
of Whippie Swamp, at the taking of Columbia, S. C., and at Raleigh,
N. C., when peace was declared. After the close of the war he returned
to Wisconsin, and taught school at Prairie du Chien four years. He was
married in 1867 to Elizabeth Kelso, a native of Otsego County, N. Y.,
born Oct. 7, 1843. The fruit of this marriage is six children –
Almira, born Aug. 30, 1868; Cora, June 24, 1870; Grace, Feb. 7, 1872;
Robert G., March 19, 1875; Helen, Nov. 11, 1878 and Wallace S., March
1, 1882. Mr. Ruggles owns a finely cultivated farm on sections 5, 7
and 8, Rockford Township, consisting of 215 acres. He is a Democrat
in his political views, and has held the office of Township Trustee.
He is a member of the Congregational church at Prairie du Chien.
Was born in the
province of Mecklinburg-Schwerin, Germany, Aug. 18, 1845. He was reared
and educated there, and on Sept. 18, 1869, embarked for America. He
landed at the city of New York, then from there went to Beloit, Wis.,
which was his home for ten years. He then removed to St. Louis, Mo.,
resided there four months; thence to Butler County, Ia, in 1879. In
1881 he located in Rockford, Iowa, where he has resided since, an honored
and respected citizen. Mr. Schroeder has followed the wagon-makers trade
for the past nineteen years. He was married in his native country to
Johannah Brandt, Aug. 3, 1868. She was born in Germany, May 1, 1844.
Five children have blessed this union, viz.: Alfred F., born Nov. 17,
1869; Emma, July 21, 1872; Edward, Sept. 5, 1874; Louisa, Sept. 27,
1876; and Otto, Aug. 10, 1880. Mr. Schroeder is a member of the Lutheran
church, and in politics is a strong supporter of the Republican party.
Dealer in agricultural
implements, Rockford, Ia., was born in Richland County, O. June 23,
1827. When eight years of age he went with his father to Michigan, resided
there two years, thence to Rockford, Ill., in 1838, traveling with ox
teams all the way. He engaged in farming in Illinois until October 1875
when he came to Floyd County, locating in Charles City. In March 1876
he settled in Rockford Township, purchasing 200 acres of fine land on
section 33, which he farmed one year; then sold, and moved into the
city of Rockford, in order to facilitate the educational advantages
of his children. He built a nice residence here, where he has for the
past six years dealt in agricultural implements. He was married on Dec.
23, 1850 to Mary C. Muffitt, a native of New York, born in 1833. Seven
children have been born unto them – Horace T., Sophronia, William
H., Hattie E., C. A., Estella and Jessie. Mr. Scott is a prominent member
of the I. O. O. F. and A. F. & A. M. fraternities of Rockford, and
is at present serving in the City Council. Politically he is a Republican.
One of the prominent
citizens of Rockford Township was born in Erie County, N. Y., Aug. 9,
1832. He resided there until 1853, and in that year emigrated to Columbia
County, that State, where he remained thirteen years, then came to Rockford,
Ia., and has resided here since. Upon coming to this city he erected
a large stone storehouse, 40 x 23 feet, on Platt Street, which he subsequently
sold to Isaac Hall. He also built the first and only slaughter- house
in Rockford. In the year 1871 he embarked in the butcher business and
also conducted a grocery store and saloon a short time. He engaged in
the hardware business one year, and for the past three years has packed
butter for various firms in Rockford. He was married in 1879 to Minnie
Graves. Politically he favors the Republican party.
One of the prominent
farmers of Rockford Township, is a native of Oneida County, N. Y., born
in the town of Marsey on March 13, 1831. He lived there until 1853 when
he moved to Lake County, Ill., thence in 1864 to Floyd County, Ia. He
settled on section 30, Rockford Township, where he owns a finely improved
farm of 173 acres. He was married to Sarah J. Maynard on Sept. 20, 1860.
She was born in Cheshire County, N. H., Feb. 11, 1836. They have one
child – Jessie Augusta, born Oct. 4, 1866. The family are members
of the M. E. church. In politics Mr. Shaw is a Republican, and has held
many of the township offices, among them those of Justice of the Peace
and School Director, and in each instance has served with credit to
himself and the satisfaction of his constituents.
Was born in Cattaraugus
County, N. Y., Nov. 19, 1840. His father died when he was ten years
old, and the following year he moved with his mother to Dodge County,
Wis. He was the fourth child of a family of six children. They resided
in Dodge County three years, then removed to Jackson County, and in
1870 he came to Floyd County, Ia., where he had previously purchased
the south half of section 32, Rockford Township. He now owns 480 acres
of finely cultivated land, and is recognized as one of Floyd County’s
most prominent farmers and stock growers. He was married July 27, 1865,
to C. J. Wright, who was born in Portland, Me., May 4, 1845. He is a
Republican in his political views.
Was born in St.
Lawrence County, N. Y., Oct. 29, 1826. At the age of eight years he
left his native State, and with his father emigrated to Ohio, where
he lived until 1849, then came with a younger brother to Iowa, locating
in Clayton County. He engaged in farming in Farmersburg Township, and
also taught school, an occupation he had previously followed in Ohio.
His brother, James Watkins, still resides in Clayton County. In 1869
he settled in Rockford Township, Floyd County, where he has been extensively
engaged in farming and stock raising since, and has also taught two
winter terms of school. He was married in 1852 in Ohio to Delia Stephens,
a native of New Hampshire, born in 1830. Nine children have been born
of this union, three sons and six daughters, viz.: Ermina, born in 1853
(married Judson Quackenbush); Charlie, in 1856; George D. in 1858; Jared
in 1859; Hannah in 1862; Delia in 1865; Blanche in 1867; Grace in 1870,
and Mabel in 1872. Mr. Watkins’ parents came with him to Clayton
County in 1852, where his father died in 1867. His mother resides in
Monona, Ia. In politics he is a Democrat.
Was born in Canada,
June 19, 1835, and came to Illinois with his parents in 1842, and to
Jones County, Ia., in 1854. John W. resided there two years, then returned
to Illinois, and in 1863 returned to Iowa, locating near Rudd, Floyd
County. He remained there until 1879, when he settled on section 18,
Rockford Township, where he purchased an excellent farm and has resided
since. He owns 240 acres of fine land, well improved. He married Hannah
Tittle, a native of the State of Pennsylvania, born April 6, 1836. Their
union has been blessed with eleven children, all living – Israel
L., David S., Delbert A., Frank U., Homer Wesley, Lydia Alice, Daniel
Jackson, Lottie Belle, Hester Ann, Guy H. and Francis Roy. Mr. Wood
is the present Road Master in District No. 9, and politically he is
a Democrat. He is a member of the Close Communion Baptist church.
Was born in Kenosha
County, Wis., Jan. 11, 1856, and lived there until 1872, when he came
to Rockford Township, Floyd County, Ia. His father died when he was
eleven years old. His early education was limited, being received at
a common district school in Kenosha County, Wis. He was Cashier of A.
L. Plummer’s bank about three years; read law in Rockford and
passed his examination before Hon. R. G. Reiniger, of Charles City,
and was admitted to the bar Sept. 20, 1880; since that time he has been
practicing law in Rockford. He was married Oct. 30, 1878, to Flora E.
Campbell, a native of Eldon, Victoria County, Canada West, born Oct.
26, 1855, of Scotch parentage. She was left an orphan when seven years
old and was taken and educated by her grandparents. She came to Iowa
in 1877, and at the time of her marriage was engaged in teaching school.
They have one child – James Stewart, born Nov. 17, 1979. Politically
Mr. Woodhouse is a Republican.
Was born in New
York, Aug. 17, 1837. He came to Illinois in the spring of 1856, and
to Floyd County, Ia., in the spring of 1862. He settled first on section
30, Rockford Township, and resided there until 1873, when he went to
Nora Springs. Eighteen months later he settled upon his present farm
on section 30, Rockford Township. He owns 480 acres of finely cultivated
land and is classed with the prominent farmers and stock-raisers of
Floyd County. He was married March 7, 1866, to Elizabeth Cook, a native
of Oswego County, N. Y., born Dec. 10, 1836. They have one child, a
daughter – Edith, born May 14, 1872. Mr. Wright has held the office
of School Director for the past five years, and politically is a strong
Republican. He is a prominent member of the Baptist church and is Superintendent
of the Sabbath school. His father, Spencer Wright, was born in Massachusetts
in 1805, and in 1862 emigrated to Floyd County, Ia., where he died Aug.
9, 1866. He was a man of sterling Christian integrity, and although
he had been a resident of the county for only a short time his loss
was deeply felt by the community. His widow married Wm. Wagner in 1870
and is a resident of Rock Grove Township.
Was born in Danville,
Livingston County, N. Y., April 1, 1815. He resided there until 1836,
when he came West, locating in Michigan, where he engaged in clerking
nine months; then went to Fort Defiance, O., and took charge of a stock
of goods for Ellis & Co., one year, and in 1838 removed to McHenry
County, Ill. He was there pioneering until 1841, then went to Fort Winnebago,
Wis., where he farmed some time, then took a contract to supply the
fort with wood and hay for eight months. He was subsequently hired by
the American Fur Company to take care of the trading post there, and
acted in that capacity eighteen months. In 1844 he was instrumental
in organizing Portage County, Wis., for judicial purposes, and was appointed
Clerk of the District Court by the District Judge, and by the people
was elected Register of Deeds and Clerk of the Commissioners’
Court. He also held the offices of Postmaster and Notary Public. From
1844 to 1847 he engaged in the lumber traffic with Ed Houghton, and
in the latter year sold out and returned to Winnebago County, Ill.,
where he farmed until 1849, then went to Rockford, Ill. He was employed
on the police force there util 1852, and also served as City Collector
and Assessor. In August 1852, he went to California where he remained
fifteen months, then returned to Beloit, Wis., and in 1854 he settled
in Floyd County, Ia., and in company with Milo Gilbert erected a double
log cabin on the site of the present town of Charles City. The two families
spent the winter there, and in the spring of 1855, Mr. Wyatt went into
the land-office business, which he followed two years, and during that
time selected the swamp land of the county under a commission from the
judge, and in the spring of 1856 he selected a site and laid out the
present town of Rockford, giving it its name. Mr. Wyatt continued in
the land office business until 1858, when he became afflicted with rheumatism,
and still suffers from that disease. In 1863 he opened the Wyatt House
in Rockford, of which he is still proprietor. He was married in October
1858, in Rockford, Ill., to Mercy Smith who was born in Livingston County,
N. Y., in 1824. They have seven children, five living – Emma (now
Mrs. L. B. Dumbolton) born in 1852; Carrie in 1853 (married LeRoy Berton);
Charles born in 1854; William W., in 1859 and Henry in 1865. Mr. Wyatt
and wife are prominent and respected members of the Congregational church,
and in politics he is a Republican.
One of the prominent
citizens of Rockford Township was born in the County of Down, Ireland,
Nov. 30, 1854. In 1871 he left his native country for America, landed
at New York City, and from there came direct to Rochelle, Ill., where
he resided until February, 1882, when he came to Floyd County, Ia.,
locating in Rockford Township. He bought eighty acres of land on section
13, which he has under good cultivation and well stocked. He was married
Dec. 22, 1876, to Mary J. Albee, in Rockford, Ill., She is a native
of the town of Red Jacket, N. Y., born Nov. 14, 1853. They have one
child – William Howard, born May 6, 1879. Mrs. Young is a member
of the M. E. church, and is an estimable Christian woman. In his political
views he is a strong Republican.