and Historical Record of Greene and Carroll Counties, Iowa
Biographies submitted by Nancee Seifert.
CASTANUS B. PARK, physician and
banker at Grand Junction, was born in Grafton, Vermont, December 14,
1834, son of Castanus B. Park, a native of the same place, once a prominent
merchant of Grafton, now deceased. He was educated at Chester Academy,
at Chester, Vermont, and graduated at Albany Medical College, New York,
June 10, 1856. The same year he came to Darlington, Wisconsin, where
he practiced one year, thence to St. Ausgar, Mitchell County, Iowa,
in 1857, practicing two years, then returned to his native town, where
he practiced until 1862. He was then commissioned Surgeon of the Sixteenth
Vermont Infantry, serving nine months, when his term expired. Soon after
this his regiment presented him with a silver tea-set, as a manifestation
of their appreciation of his services, accompanied by affectionate remarks
of tribute. He was again commissioned Surgeon of the First Vermont Heavy
Artillery, and assigned to duty in the Vermont Heavy Artillery October
3, 1863. We quote the following from a book entitled "Vermont Brigade
in the Shenandoah Valley," written by Lieutenant-Colonel A.F. Walker:
"But among all the faithful soldiers of the brigade, the one who
will be the longest remembered with affection, and with the greatest
reason, is Castanus B. Park, of the Eleventh Regiment, the Brigade Surgeon.
As a worker, Dr. Park was indefatigable, and his skill was equal to
the requirements of his position. Of all its medical staff the brigade
was justly proud, the assistant surgeons as well as the surgeons being
always found at their posts, and shrinking from no labor that might
benefit the men on their march, in the camp or in the battle. Their
duties were often extremely arduous. In case of an engagement, their
work was but just begun when ours was over. After the battle of Cedar
Creek Dr. Park was at his table forty-eight consecutive hours, and during
this campaign it was his duty to perform all the capital operations
required in the brigade. The number of amputations which he performed
was exceedingly large; but he traced with care the subsequent history
of each patient, and in no single case did one fail of recovery. This
fact speaks equally well for the physique of the men and the science
of the doctor." Regarding the present mentioned, the following
is quoted from the Bellows Falls (Vermont) Times, of October 23, 1863:
"Dr. C.B. Park, Dear Sir: Your visible connection with our regiment
as its Surgeon, has ceased, but the remembrance of our fidelity, energy
and unceasing care, will live long in the hearts of its individual members.
In the first place, you won our confidence by manifesting a skill in
the art of healing which few possess; then by untiring diligence and
continued watchfulness, you almost robbed disease of its terrors and
death of its victims. But this is not all. Your whole intercourse with
us was characterized by gentlemanly deportment and kindly consideration.
Neither the annoyances of dealing with unpleasant subjects, nor the
necessary inconveniences of camp life, induced neglect or sourness.
In order to manifest our appreciation of your services, the accompanying
silver-ware has been selected, and I have the honor of presenting it
to you in behalf of the enlisted men of the Sixteenth Vermont Regiment.
Accept it, not for its intrinsic value, but for the memories which cluster
around it. Receive it as an expression of grateful remembrance from
hearts which have been quickend to nobler emotions by devotion to the
principles of freedom and humanity. I am your respectfully,
O. W. PARK, stock and lumber dealer at Jefferson , has been a resident of Greene County , since May, 1869. At that time he settled on section 32, Grant Township . The farm was wholly unimproved, and the township neighbors were very scarce, the principal settlements being along the streams. Mr. Park improved the place, lived upon it about twelve years, then sold it to Mrs. Meath, who still owns it. He removed to Jefferson in the spring of 1880, and in 1885 he built his present fine residence on North Main Street . Mr. Park is a member of the firm of McCarty & Park, extensive stock-dealers. It is one of the largest firms of that kind in Iowa , having buyers at different stations along the narrow gauge railroad. Mr. Park is also a member of the lumber firm of Best & Park. He is a native of the Green Mountain State , born in Windsor county, where he was reared to agricultural pursuits. In 1857 he went to Mazomanie, Dane County , Wisconsin , where he settled upon a new farm, which he improved and lived upon until he came to Greene County . He has been twice married. His first wife, whom he married in Vermont , was Lydia Jane Arnold, who died in mazomanie. His present wife was Mrs. Lucia M. Stone, nee Chamberlain, who was born in Stafford , Orange County , Vermont , in 1821, and a daughter of Samuel Chamberlain, who died in Vermont . She went to Mazomanie in 1866. Mr. Park's parents, Thomas and Lucinda Park, both died at that place, at the advanced age of eighty-four years. Mr. and Mrs. Park have three children -- Ada , wife of Edwin Williams; Ella L., wife of William T. Anderson, and FRANK L., who is in California . Mrs. Park had three children by a former marriage, two of whom are living -- Charles H., Crawford and Genevieve Stone.
WESLEY R. PARK, jeweler and tinner, Grand Junction, was born in the town of Weston, Windsor County, Vermont, September 28, 1832 son of thomas K. Park, a native of Windham County, same State. He was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He came to Dane County, Wisconsin, in 1853, where he worked at various things, and was also engaged in farming to some extent. He was married November 18, 1855, to Calista D. Hazeltine, daughter of Orrin B. Hazeltine, of Dane County, who settled near Milwaukee in 1836. They have one child -- Agnes M., who married William G. Rugg, of this township. Mr. Park came to Jefferson, this county, in the spring of 1869, and to Grand Junction in 1873, where he has since lived. He worked in a hardware store and at his trade while in Jefferson. He bought an interest in the store, and conducted it three years. He embarked in his present business in 1880, and added the jewelry department in 1885. He served as postmaster of Grand Junction from 1882 to November 15, 1885. He has served as justice of the peace six years and still holds that office. He is a member of the society of Good Templars. In politics he is a Republican. He attended the first Republican convention held in the United States, at Madison, Wisconsin, in 1854, and was one of its organizers.
JAMES PARKER, farmer, section 12, Willow Township, P.O. Scranton, is one of the enterprising citizens of the township. He was born in Lincolnshire, England, nine miles from the city of Lincoln, that is noted for having one of the largest bells in Europe. He was born October 4, 1829, and was a son of William and Martha (Bernard) Parker, who were the parents of ten children, James being the seventh son. His youth was passed in both town and country, and his first manual labor was at farm work. The only education he received was by study at home. He has a good practical education, and is well posted in matters pertaining to business. In 1852 he emigrated to Canada, and was there united in marriage, April 2, 1855, with Miss Phoebe Ann Hern, who was born in Barnstable, Devonshire, England, January 28, 1838, daughter of John and Phoebe (Bowers) Hern. In March, 1865, Mr. and Mrs. Parker removed to Marshall County, Illinois, where they lived three years, then removed to Peoria County where they resided about eight years. In the spring of 1876 they came to Greene County, this State, and settled upon their present farm, which was then wild land, and was one of the first improved farms in the neighborhood. He has a comfortable residence, good barn and buildings for grain and stock, and an orchard of his own planting. Mr. and Mrs. Parker are the parents of two sons -- Alfred, who resides on section l, Willow Township, and is a promising young farmer; and George H., who resides at Council Bluffs, Iowa. Politically Mr. Parker is an Independent. He has always been interested in educational and religious matters. He is one of Willow Township's most worthy citizens.
FREMONT H. PARMENTER, of the firm of H.A. Parmenter & Son, of Grand Junction, was born in Weston, Vermont, February 22, 1856, son of Horace A. and Lucinda (Carlton) Parmenter, the former a native of Massachusetts, born in 1821. Fremont is the only child. He was educated at the Chester Academy in his native State and came to Grand Junction with his parents in 1872, and this has since been their home. Our subject clerked in a store two years at Jefferson, and two years at Grand Junction, then became his father's partner in the hardware business. They carry a full line of hardware, stoves, tinware, kitchen furniture, shelf hardware, farm machinery, wagons, buggies, etc. They have a capital stock of $12,000 to $15,000, and do an annual business of $60,000. Mr. Parmenter was married February 19, 1882, to Miss Hattie Hadley, daughter of George Hadley, now deceased. She was born in Rockingham, Windham County, Vermont. Mr. Parmenter served as mayor of Grand Junction two years and councilman six years; he is now treasurer. He served two years as chief of the fire department; is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Mrs. Parmenter is a member of the Episcopal Church.
S. PAUL, farmer, residing on the northwest quarter of section
l5, Scranton Township, was born in Linn County, Iowa, July 26, 1843
a son of Jonathan and Dorcas Paul. His parents came from Greene
County, Pennsylvania, to Linn County, Iowa, in a very early day, being
among the first settlers of that county. They settled in Brown
Township, that county, a few months before the birth of our subject.
They are still living in Linn County, well advanced in years.
They are the parents of seven children -- Mrs. Margaret Kramer, of Linn
County; William S., whose name heads this sketch; George, of Linn County;
Wilson, of Greene County, Pennsylvania; Mrs. Rachel M. Dean, of Linn
County; Alexander H., still unmarried, living with his parents, and
Jonathan T., also a resident of Linn County. William S. Paul came
to Scranton Township in 1876, and in the spring of 1877 settled on his
present farm, his residence being one mile southwest of Scranton City.
His land when he settled on it was almost entirely unimproved, and he
has improved and brought his farm under good cultivation, and the building
improvements are his work. He was married in Scranton Township,
December 20, 1877, to Miss Susan Campbell, who was born in (*can't read)
County, Iowa, December 20, 1849. They have two children living
-- Rachel D. and Thomas T. Their first born, Myrtie E., died aged
five years and five months. Mrs. Paul is a member of the Second
Advent Church. In politics Mr. Paul is identified with the Democratic
party. He is a member of Scranton Lodge, No. 357, I.O.O.F., and
also belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen at Scranton.
As a citizen and neighbor Mr. Paul ranks high with all who know him,
having by his fair and honorable dealings gained the confidence and
esteem of the entire community.
H. PERKINS, dealer in groceries, boots
and shoes at Angus, was born in Wales, February 17, 1852, son of John
Perkins, also a native of Wales. He left his native country in September,
1869, coming to LaSalle, Illinois, and the following spring, to Emporia,
Kansas, living there and in Osage City and Leavenworth until 1874. He
spent one winter, in the meantime, in Bloomington, Illinois. In 1874
he went to Covington, Indiana, and the following year, visited his native
country, returning in the spring of 1876, and in 1880 made a second
visit to Wales, and visited California the same year, returning in the
fall of 1880. While in Indiana, he kept a grocery store at Coal Creek,
near Covington. He came to Angus in 1882, and engaged in his present
business the following April. He keeps a full line of groceries, provisions,
boots, shoes and notions. He was married in September, 1881, to Jane
Morgan, daughter of Thomas Morgan, deceased. Their children are Janett,
John and Edith. Mr. Perkins is a member of the Odd Fellows order, is
town treasurer, in 1886, and re-elected for town treasurer for 1887
-- and has served as a member of the town council.
WILLIAM H. PERKINS, dealer in groceries, boots and shoes at Angus, was born in Wales, February 17, 1852, son of John Perkins, also a native of Wales. He left his native country in September, 1869, coming to LaSalle, Illinois, and the following spring, to Emporia, Kansas, living there and in Osage City and Leavenworth until 1874. He spent one winter, in the meantime, in Bloomington, Illinois. In 1874 he went to Covington, Indiana, and the following year, visited his native country, returning in the spring of 1876, and in 1880 made a second visit to Wales, and visited California the same year, returning in the fall of 1880. While in Indiana, he kept a grocery store at Coal Creek, near Covington. He came to Angus in 1882, and engaged in his present business the following April. He keeps a full line of groceries, provisions, boots, shoes and notions. He was married in September, 1881, to Jane Morgan, daughter of Thomas Morgan, deceased. Their children are Janett, John and Edith. Mr. Perkins is a member of the Odd Fellows order, is town treasurer, in 1886, and re-elected for town treasurer for 1887 -- and has served as a member of the town council.
WILLIAM H. PERKINS, of Scranton , Greene County , was born in Adams , Berkshire County , Massachusetts , the date of his birth being October 30, 1838 , a son of William and Eliza (Hathaway) Perkins. The father of our subject was a native of Massachusetts , and died when he was a child. The mother subsequently married again, and by her second marriage had several children. She died in Massachusetts in 1882. William H. was the only child of her first marriage. He grew to manhood in his native State, being reared to the avocation of a farmer. In April, 1861, soon after the firing on Fort Sumter Mr. Perkins enlisted in Company B, Tenth Massachusetts, the Second Rhode Island, and the Thirty-sixth New York regiments. In the winter of 1861 the brigade was engaged in building forts Massachusetts and Slocum, which constituted a part of the defenses of Washington . In 1862 it took part in McClelland's Peninsular campaign, participating in all of the principal battles of that campaign. Soon after the evacuation of Harrison 's landing, Mr. Perkins was taken sick, when he was sent to a hospital at Philadelphia . When he had partially recovered he was sent to the camp of distribution at Alexandria , but getting worse, he was discharged January 10, 1863 , when he returned to Massachusetts . His health having sufficiently recovered he re-enlisted in the First New York Light Artillery, Battery A, which was first stationed at Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, then at Harrisburg, and finally at Chambersburg, where our subject remained till the close of the war, when he returned home without wounds but with health permanently impaired. After the war he was married to Miss Alice E. Burt, a native of Berkshire County , Massachusetts . Mr. Perkins left Massachusetts with his family in 1872, when he settled in Rochelle, Ogle County , Illinois , coming thence to Scranton March 5, 1879 , where he has since made his home. Politically Mr. Perkins is a Republican, casting his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1860.
MARTIN PETERSON, residing on section 20, is one of Scranton Township's most enterprising farmers. When he came to his present farm, in the spring of l877, his fine homestead was raw prairie, but by persevering industry he made it one of the best farms in his neighborhood, and it now consists of 200 acres of well-improved land, 120 acres being under cultivation, and his building improvements are noticeably good. Mr. Peterson is a native of Denmark, born January 28, l840, the second in a family of six children of Peter and Karie Peterson. Both of his parents died in their native country. His brothers and sisters are now living in Wisconsin. He was the first of his father's family to come to America, landing at Quebec June 6, l862, going thence directly to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He began life in America as a farm laborer, which he followed near Milwaukee nearly two years. He was then engaged in the pineries in Oconto County, Wisconsin, and in the Green Bay district, until l866. In the fall of l864 he was married to Miss Hannah Peterson, who was also a native of Denmark, born March 2, l840, a daughter of Jacob Peterson. Of the eight children born to this union only two are living -- Charles, born in February, l869, and Albert, born in August, l878. They lost three children in the spring of l875; their two eldest, Peter and Mary, died aged ten and eight years respectively, and Eleanora aged two years. Nora died in l877, aged one year and two months; Edwin at the age of four years and five months, and Sanford aged two years and seven months, in l885. In l866 Mr. and Mrs. Peterson settled in Columbia County, Wisconsin, and there followed agricultural pursuits until coming to Greene County, Iowa, in l872. They then located on their own land, on section 27 of Scranton Township, a farm of eighty acres improved by themselves, and there lived till they settled in their present home on section 20. Mr. Peterson came to America a poor man, but possessed of strong hands and a stout heart, and by his persevering energy and industry, combined with strict economy, he has succeeded well in his farming operations, and acquired a good property, and gained the confidence and respect of the entire community. In politics he has always affiliated with the Republican party. Both he and his wife are members of the United Brethren Church.
JOHN E. PETTIT, real estate dealer and loan agent at Grand Junction, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, town of Salem, August 10, 1848, a son of Andrew Pettit, also a native of Columbiana County, born July 2, 1813, and now a resident of Grand Junction. He was reared on a farm, and educated in the common schools of Mechanicsville, Iowa, where his parents settled in 1854. His mother was formerly Mary Elliott, born July 6, 1817, in Columbiana County. The parents had nine children, seven of whom are living. John was the fifth child. He clerked in a dry goods store in Mechanicsville for seven years, coming to Grand Junction in 1871. He was engaged in farming for one year, then embarked in the mercantile trade for a time. In the meantime he was engaged in the mercantile business temporarily in Osceola in 1882, nearly a year in each place, but Grand Junction has been his home since 1871. His mother is a direct descendant of John D. Elliott, an English Quaker who came to the United States in the Mayflower. He was married September 22, 1882, to Miss Mary Peddicord, daughter of John Peddicord, now deceased. She was born in Winnebago County, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Elliott have two children -- Estella and Charles. Mr. Elliott owns eighty acres of land northeast of Grand Junction, and has 279 acres in Nebraska. He served as mayor over a year, but resigned after the second election. He belongs to the Odd Fellows and Masonic fraternities, and also to the Knights of Labor.
E. P. PHELPS, one of the representative business men of Scranton , is a native of Ohio , born in Lorain County in the year 1849. He passed his boyhood days in his native county, receiving a common school education. Before attaining his majority he went to Westfield , Massachusetts , where he engaged in the grain business. For his wife he married Miss L.E. Rininger, a native of Seneca County , Ohio , and to this union have been born four children -- Mabel, Edna, Raymond and Homer, the eldest born in Westfield , and the remainder natives of Scranton , Iowa . Mr. Phelps came to Scranton from Massachusetts with his family in the spring of 1875, at which time he engaged in the grain and lumber business. In 1878 he sold out his business to his father, Henry Phelps, when he purchased the flouring mill at Scranton , which he owned and operated for five years. In 1884 he again took an interest in the grain business with his father, and in August of the same year he purchased his father's interest in the grain business, which he has since conducted, his father still being engaged in the lumber and hardware business, and both are meeting with good success. In his political views Mr. Phelps affiliates with the Republican party.
WILLIAM H. PIERCE, liveryman, at Grand Junction , was born in Dane County , Wisconsin , December 21, 1847 . His father, Nelson Pierce, is a native of Yates County , New York , and was a pioneer of Dane County , where he still resides. William H. was reared on a farm, and educated in the common schools of his native county. He came to Iowa in 1870, and to Grand Junction in 1877, where he has since resided. He has been in his present business most of the time since he settled here. He keeps a large livery, feed and exchange stable, his building being 100 x 36 feet. He was married September 22, 1877 , to Amelia J. Burk, daughter of Allen Burk, of Angus, this State. They have one child - Fred A. Mr. Pierce proved his patriotism during the late war by enlisting three times. He was each time refused on account of being too young.
POTTER, attorney at law, has been a resident of Jefferson since
May, l865. He was the second attorney that settled in that city,
the first being Dan Mills, who is still living in Jefferson, but is
retired. Mr. Potter was born at Turin, Lewis County, New York,
July l7, l834. His father, Chester Potter, was a stone mason in
early life, and a farmer in later years. His mother, Dinah (Miller)
Potter, was of English and Irish parentage. The Potters were wholly
English. Harvey's paternal grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary
war, and his father was in the war of l8l2. When he was three
years of age his father removed with his family to Illinois, settling
near Somonauk, DeKalb County. Our subject remained at home until
twenty years of age, then went to Wheaton, twenty-five miles west of
Chicago, where he spent six years in the preparatory and college course,
graduating July 4, l860. He attended the law department of Chicago
University and graduated in l862, with the degree of L.L.B. In
l864 he received the degree of A.M. from his Alma Mater. At the
time of his graduation from the law department, the civil war was at
its height, and he felt that he owed his first duty to his country.
Before entering upon his profession, he enlisted, in August, l862, as
a private in Company H, One Hundred and Fifth Illinois Infantry. He
was promoted from time to time, until l863, when he was made First Lieutenant
of his company. He commanded Company F, of his regiment, during
part of his Atlanta campaign, that being the company that captured the
colors of the Twelfth Louisiana in the battle of Peach Tree Creek.
He was struck by a fragment of a shell, at Resaca, but was not much
injured. He participated in several other important events of
the Atlanta campaign, and resigned in August, l864, on account of the
illness of his wife. He returned from the army and the following
winter taught school. In May, l865, he settled in Jefferson, and
at once entered upon the practice of his profession. He served
as United States Assistant Assessor of Greene, Calhoun and Sac Counties,
in l866-'67, and was the last county judge of Greene County, serving
in that capacity in l868-'69. Politically he was always affiliated
with the Republican party, and his first vote was cast for John C. Fremont
in l856. He is a man of culture, having received a thorough literary
and legal education. He has been admitted to practice in the United
States Courts, the Supreme Court of the State of Illinois, and the Circuit,
District and Supreme Courts of Iowa. He possesses the Jeffersonian
qualification of honesty, integrity and ability. Judge Henry Booth,
dean and leading professor in the law department of the University of
Chicago, paid him the following tribute: "Among all the students
of my school, from twenty popular colleges, not one was superior to
Harvey Potter." August 24, l862, he was married to Miss Mary
L. Price, a native of Illinois. She is a woman of education and
refinement. Religiously Mr. Potter and wife are devoted and consistent
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and both are devoted to the
Sunday-school and other religious work. They graduated at the
Chautauqua Sunday-school Assembly at Clear Lake, Iowa, in the summer
of l877. Both have long been active, earnest workers in the cause
of temperance and prohibition, Mrs. Potter for some time being State
vice-president of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union and having
charge of the work of that organization in the entire Eleventh Congressional
District of Iowa.