Guthrie and Adair Counties, Iowa
W. E. Berry, while not actively engaged in any particular line of business, is still a man of good business abilities, and while in one sense retired from active pursuits, he still has a large interest in Guthrie Center and Guthrie county, which entitles him to a prominent representation among his fellow-citizens. Mr. Berry is a native of Noble county, Ohio, where his parents, William and Eliza (Haines) Berry, long resided, having been born there May 22, 1846. He moved to Guthrie county in 1869, his parents following a short time afterward, and since that time has taken great interest in the welfare and development of the county. He first located on Bear creek, a mile southewest of Guthrie Center, and gave his personal attention to farming and stock-raising. In April, 1880, he consummated a long-cherished intention, by removing his family to Guthrie Center. The project of boring for coal in the vicinity of the town had long been talked of, but was never brought into shape until Mr. Berry took hold and organized a company for the purpose of prospecting for and mining coal. He was elected president of the company, which position he now holds. He also owns a half interest in the Valley mills (Young & Berry). His land interests are quite large and valuable, having two tracts of one hundred and sixty acres each, and eighty five acres in another, beside considerable town property. He was married in Ohio, in 1866, to Miss Nancy Young, a native of Ohio. They have three children, all boys, whose names are Fred, Charles and J. Melville. Mr. Berry, when but eighteen years of age, enlisted in the 133d Indiana infantry, but as his youth prevented him from enlisting till nearly the close of the war, he did not have long to serve. He was a drummer in his regiment. He is a member of the the G. A. R. post, and also of the I. O. O. F. lodge, No. 113.
Daniel H. Brumbaugh, late of the firm of Brumbaugh & Hess. The Brumbaugh family were early settlers of Guthrie county, and were well-known as active, enterprising, whole souled men. They were always found in the front rank, ready to do all in their power in the interest of their county. From a member of this family (Daniel) sprang the subject of this sketch. Daniel Brumbaugh was born in Pennsylvania in 1800, and when an infant was taken by the family to Montgomery county, Ohio, where he was reared, and there married Mary Studebaker in 1836; they reared five children--Catherine, Levi, Elizabeth, Daniel H. and Aaron. Mrs. Brumbaugh's death occurred in January, 1864, and he was again married in 1868 to Miss Mary Chambers, by whom he had two children--David and Solomon. In the fall of 1849 the family came to Polk county, Iowa, and in 1854 moved to Guthrie county, and settled on section 9, Cass township, where his death occurred in March 1882.
Daniel H. Brumbaugh was born in Elkhart county, Indiana, March 19, 1838, and remained a member of the family until 1859, when he emigrated to Denver, Colorado, and on to Pike's Peak, where he engaged in mining and crossing the plains until 1860. He then returned to Guthrie county, and was here engaged in school teaching. In 1862 he enlisted in Company I, 29th Iowa regiment, with which he served three years. He was mustered out at New Orleans in August 1865, and returned to Panora and engaged in the hardware trade. In 1872 he located in Guthrie Center in the same business, being a member of a firm in that line there until 1884, when he sold out his interest to Mr. Hess, and located at Baxter Springs, Kansas, where he now lives. He was united in marriage September 24, 1865, to Miss Wealthy A. Trent, a native of Indiana. They have four children--William E., Ray, Claude and Daniel A. In 1882 Mr. Brumbaugh was elected mayor of Guthrie Center, and resigned after having served six months. He is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
William H. Camp, grocer, is among the progressive and successful men of Guthrie Center. He was born in Lewis county, West Virginia, March 22, 1848. He is a son of William G. T. and Maria V. (Hereford) Camp, who were both natives of that state. William H. was reared in his native county, where he received a liberal education. He was there engaged in the stock business until 1876, when he engaged in merchandising at Knawl's Creek, West Virginia, where he remained one year. He then came to Iowa, doing business in Bussey until May, 1882, when he came to Guthrie Center and engaged in his present business. He has one of the nicest looking stores to be seen outside of the large cities, and he is very popular among all classes. He was married March 24, 1868, to Miss Amanda C. Simms, a native of Lewis county, West Virginia and a most estimable lady.
William Marion Cretsinger, son of John and Mary (Boone) Cretsinger, was born in Licking county, Ohio, May 12, 1854. He moved with his parents to Carroll county, Illinois, in 1860, remaining there seven years, when they came to Guthrie Center, Guthrie county. William was married September 21, 1881, to Miss Mary E. Russell, daughter of Jerome E. and Polly A. (Ward) Russsell. Mrs. Cretsinger was born near Kingston, Canada, July 28, 1858. She came to Carroll county, Illinois, in April, 1860. She removed with her parents from Carroll county to Faribault county, Minnesota, in 1864, where she remained until January 4, 1880, when she came to Union township, April 15, 1880. She was married at Guthrie Center, They have taken Samuel Teter, son of George and Hannah (Mingin) Teter, born May 6, 1872, to raise, but have not adopted him. Mr. William Cretsinger owns two hundred and sixty acres of good land, mostly under cultivation. He located on one hundred and twenty acres on section 16, the balance being in section 21 [Orange township]. He raises stock of all kinds, especially cattle, horses and hogs. He was road supervisor in 1881.
Myron C. Davidson, of the firm of Davidson & Motz, was born June 3, 1852, in Whitesides county, Illinois, his parents being James P. and Martha (Graham) Davidson. He removed to Iowa in 1871, going to Des Moines, where he was connected with a wholesale house for two and a half years. In August, 1877, he came to Guthrie Center, and carried on farming, until engaging in the livery business. Was married on Christmas eve, 1877, to Miss Jennie Chisolm, of Illinois. They have two children--Mabel Anna and Blance Amy.
On the 12th of March, 1883, the stove and tinware establishment of O. B. Dike was opened. He carries a good stock, and, being a practical tinner, manufactures all his wares in that metal. O. B. Dike was born in Chittenden county, Vermont, July 24, 1848. When he was three years of age he moved with the family to Illinois, where they remained one year. They then moved to Green Lake county, Wisconsin, where they remained until 1865, when he moved to Wautoma, Wisconsin, where he began the tinners' business, and there resided over three years. He worked for short periods in different towns until the spring of 1874, when he went to Colfax, Iowa, where he remained nearly six years, and then came to Guthrie Center in 1880. He was engaged in the hardware business until 1883, when he started his present business of tinware and stoves. He was married June 1, 1876, to Miss Emma Fields, who died in September, 1877. He was married for the second time in February, 1879, to Eliza Batchelor, a widow, whose maiden name was Wilson. They have one child--Fannie P. Mr. Dike is a member of the Legion of Honor in Colfax, Jasper county.
Ed Dosh, druggist, of Guthrie Center, was born in New York, August 8, 1854. In 1856 the family came to Scott county, Iowa, where he was reared to manhood, and educated. In 1872 he was engaged as clerk in a book store in Davenport. In 1873 he formed a partnership with his father in the grocery trade, at Maysville, Iowa. In September, 1875, he came to Stuart, Iowa, where he was employed as a clerk in a drug store until 1880, when he came to Guthrie Center and engaged in the drug business for himself. He has a well-equiped store, and is one of our most enterprising and successful business men. He is a member of Orange lodge No. 123, A. F. & A. M., of Guthrie Center, and also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and holds membership in the M. E. Church. Mr. Dosh was united in marriage June 1, 1881, to Miss Minta Anderson, a native of Beaver, Pennsylvania.
The pioneer furniture store [in Guthrie Center] was established in 1868, in a small way, by Elias Costenbader, who ran it until 1882, when it passed into the hands of the present proprietor, W. S. Doud. On taking possession he doubled the stock, and has since been increasing it to supply the demands of his growing trade. He owns the building, which is 20x50, exclusive of his repair shop, and carries a stock of some $1,500 worth of furniture, sewing machines, coffins, and other kindred goods, and is enjoying an excellent trade. Winfield S. Doud engaged in the furniture business in Guthrie Center in 1882. He is one among the most successful businessmen of that city, and his enterprise and business ability have gained him a trade much larger than is generally done in such sized towns. He was born in Van Buren county, Iowa, February 13, 1849. He is the son of Elias and Mary J. (Whitten) Doud, who were natives of Ohio. They came to Iowa in 1840. Winfield is the second of a family of ten children, and was reared in his native county and received his education from the schools of the same. When twenty years of age he began learning telegraphy, which he followed as a business for about five years. During that time he held positions in Alpine, Woodville, and Mitchellville, Iowa. In 1874 he engaged in the grocery business at the latter place, and was also engaged in the newspaper business and various other lines of trade there until 1880, when he came to Guthrie Center and engaged in his present business. He was married December 12, 1878, to Miss Florence Henshie, a native of Illinois. They are members of the M. E. church.
Among the enterprising young business men of this county who deserve special mention in this work, stands the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Marion county, Iowa, and was born July 28, 1855; he was reared to manhood in his native county. In 1873 he entered Simpson's centenary college, at Indianola, Iowa, where he was a student until 1876. In the fall of that year he located in Adair county, Iowa, and immediately afterward was appointed deputy surveyor, which he held one year. He then came to Guthrie Center, Iowa, and under the firm name of Pryor & Hammond, engaged in the real-estate and abstract business. In 1879 the present firm of L. P. Hammond & Co. was formed. He was married June 4, 1879, to Miss Mary E. Bower, a daughter of Dr. John Bower, of Guthrie Center. They have two children--Elmer B. and Margaret E. He is a member of the Presbyterian church.
William S. Hammond established himself in the drug business at this point [Guthrie Center], in November, 1882. He carries about two thousand dollars in stock, consisting of drugs, medicines, books, stationery, wallpaper and fancy goods, and has a good trade. As a young man, with very strict principles of right, he is rapidly conquering a place in the mercantile world, and pleases all by his affable manner, William Scott Hammond was born in Summit township, Marion county, Iowa, February 8, 1857, being the son of William J. and Margaret A. (Baldwin) Hammond. His boyhood days were spent in his native place, where the rudiments of an English education were acquired. He entered Simpson centenery college of Indianola, Iowa, in 1873. United with the Congregarionalist church in 1874. Commenced teaching in 1875. Was engaged in farming with his father until 1876. Quit college in 1877 and continued teaching. In 1879 he was principal of the Peoria schools, Mahaska county, Iowa. In the spring of 1880 he went to Leadville, Colorado, where he was engaged in silver mining; also begun the drug trade, having previously read medicine for some time. He remained in that neighborhood till winter when he came to this county. In January, 1881, he went to Adel, Iowa, where he was employed in a drug store as prescription clerk. On December 31, 1881, he was commissioned a registered pharmacist for the state of Iowa. In August 1882, he made a business trip to New York City, and then came to Guthrie Center and established his present successful drug business. He is a republican in politics and on the side of prohibition always. On April 10, 1883, he was married to Miss Florence B. Gillam, a music teacher, of Minburn, Iowa, a native of Mongomery county, Indiana. They have one child--Lloyd Lester Hammond, born June 6, 1884.
Nathaniel T. Helliyer, at one time a prominent attorney of Guthrie Center, was born on the 22d of August, 1846, near Caldwell, Noble county, Ohio, and is the son of William and Kate (Cain) Helliyer. His parents moved to this county, bringing him with them, and on the 6th of May, 1857, settled upon section 18, in Valley township. Being educated in the schools of this county; as years rolled on he felt within himself aspirations for a higher education, and the stirring of a noble ambition to study for the bar. With this end in view he entered the law department of the Iowa State university in 1874, where he remained for nearly three years, graduating at the annual commencement of 1876, receiving his diploma as a full-fledged lawyer. He commenced the practice of his chosen profession in Guthrie Center, before his graduation, in the summer of 1875, having passed his examination and been admitted as a member of the legal fraternity in Johnson county, in April of that year. He remained here some three years, when he removed to Harlan, the county-seat of Shelby county, where he practiced some nine months. He is a member of Parian lodge, No. 321, A. F. and A. M., located at Harlan. He is now acting as local historian with the Continental Historical company, of Springfield, Illinois. Although no longer a resident of Guthrie county, he has not entirely severed his connection with this his home, as he is the owner of 160 acres of land in section 2, in Baker township.
Henry J. Hess, of Brumbaugh & Hess.--Jacob Hess, the father of the subject of this sketch, was a native of Pennsylvania and was born September 21, 1801. In 1851 he emigrated to Stephenson county, Illinois, where he lived until the fall of 1857. He then settled in Guthrie Center and engaged in the grocery business. In 1863 he engaged in farming. His death occurred June 15, 1866. Henry J. was born in Clinton county, Pennsylvania, January 16, 1848. He received a good common school education, and in 1874 became interested in the Journal, then the leading paper in the county. In May, 1875, he sold his interest in the paper and engaged in farming, which occupation he successfully followed until 1878, when he became a partner in the firm of Brumbaugh & Hess, in the hardware business. In 1882 he withdrew from the firm and again went on the farm, but one year later he repurchased his interest in the hardware business. He is a member of the Orange Lodge No. 123, A. F. & A. M., of Guthrie Center. Mr. Hess was married May 3, 1877, to Minerva E. Rich. They have one child--Henry M.
Webster C. Hopkins, the other member of the firm of Hurlburt & Hopkins, is a son of Dr. John Y. Hopkins, once a prominent citizen of this county. His sketch appears elsewhere in this work. Webster was born in Mahaska county, Iowa, November 15, 1855. In 1869 the family came to Guthrie county, where he was reared to manhood. In 1875, 1876 and 1877 he was a student of the Iowa state university. He then returned home and engaged in farming on the home farm, where he remained actively engaged in that occupation until becoming a member of the present firm in February, 1883. Mr. Hopkins is one of Guthrie Center's promising young business men, and a man with plenty of warm friends and but few enemies. He is a member of the Orange lodge No. 123, A. F. & A. M., of Guthrie Center. In 1882 and 1883 he was secretary of the county fair association, and is at present a member of the city council.
On the 9th of February, 1884, Wesley S. Houghton became the successor of P. J. Franzean in the grocery business, and is working up a good trade. He has a room 22x60, in which he carries about $2000 worth of stock, consisting of crockery and queensware, in addition to the usual lines of groceries. The subject of this sketch is a native of Allegany county, New York, and was born May 4, 1853. When twelve years of age, the family removed to Bureau county, Illinois, where he was reared on a farm and followed that profession until 1880. He then came to Guthrie county where he farmed until November, 1882. When he moved to Guthrie Center, in February, 1884, he engaged in his present business, buying out the business of P. J. Farzean. He was united in marriage, January 6, 1884, with Miss Lucy E. Taylor. Mr. Houghton was justice of the peace of Seeley township for three years.
Thomas F. Hupp, a native of Washington county, Ohio, was born in June, 1854. When he was about six years of age the family removed to Noble county, Ohio, where he remained until he was sixteen years of age. When he was ten years of age he began to learn the milling trade in his uncle's mill, and in 1871 he, with the family, came to Guthrie county, where he was engaged in farming until 1874, when he was engaged with Young & Haight in the Valley mills. He worked at that place until 1882, when he became a member of the firm. He was married in September, 1878, to Miss Hattie E. Young. They have one child--Alice M. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and has held the position of director in the fourth district.
Burt G. Hurlburt, of this firm, was born in Wyoming county, New York, November 17, 1853. His father, Henry Hurlbert, was a native of Connecticut, and his mother, Aurilla (Austin) Hurlburt, was born in Vermont. They reared eight children, of whom Burt was the sixth. He was reared in his native county, and was educated at Pike seminary, same county, and in 1872, he emigrated to Guthrie county, and engaged in school teaching, which he followed for two and one half years. He then, for the following three years, held (at different times) positions as telegraph operator along the line of the C., R. I. & P. R. R., during which time he was appointed to fill a like position in the Stuart office, where he remained until 1877. He was then appointed deputy treasurer, and served in that capacity four years. In 1881 he became a member of the firm of Brumbaugh, Motz & Hurlburt, in the hardware trade, and remained a member of that firm until February, 1883. He and Mr. Hopkins then purchased the stock of Clarke & Dike, and engaged in their present business. He was united in marriage October 28, 1879, to Kate L. Dosh, a native of New York, and they have three children--Vida G., Mildred I. and Addie. Mr. H. is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and a member of the M. E. church.
Tradition truly avers that the first goods sold in the embryo town of Guthrie Center were disposed of by William Tracy, who had a small stock which he kept in his house; but the first store was established by E. B. Newton in 1856. This was in a log building that stood for many years thereafter on State street, just west of where the drug store of A. D. Lemmon is now located. In this little cabin, for it was but 16x18 feet in size and a story high, was kept the usual stock of neccessaries needed by the new settlers, and was run by Charles Huxley, the first settler who kept the store, the post-office and a tailor shop for many years. The edifice was torn down in April, 1880, and the building now occupied as a restaurant by F. Dellett was moved upon its site. Charles Huxley was born in Tunstall, Staffordshiire, England, April 16, 1817. He was married at Wolstanton, December 28, 1837, to Ann Ball, who was born at Sneyd Green, March 11, 1819, all in the same shire. He landed in 1844 in New York as an emigrant. After living some years in Albany and Jersey City he moved with his family to Ohio, from whence he came to Iowa, and in the fall of 1855 settled in this locality. In 1856, he built the first cabin upon the site of Guthrie Center, as before mentioned. In 1859, he built the residence in which he died.
We quote from Mrs. Maxwell's history of this country the following incidents of his first settlement, which deserve mention:
"In November, 1855, Mr. Charles Huxley came to the county, and from the date of his arrival until the 14th of April, he, with his family--seven all told--existed in a shanty 12x12 in size, without a floor, and so low that the wolves, which were then quite numerous, ran over the roof, making anything but music in the ears of the lady and wee ones. To Mr. Huxley it was equal, if not superior, to an organ (possibly of the hand variety). When Mr. Huxley built a chimney, whech necessary appurtenance the hut lacked, his tools were a horse shoe, which he used as a hammer, and a clapboard for a trowel; for mortar he used clay that had been thrown from a well; instead of the ordinary sticks, he used stone. When he pulled from its native bed a huge specimen of the latter in order to release two smaller ones which he wished to use, two large wolves jumped over his head. Of course he knew they were wolves, but some new-comers would have thought that away out here in Iowa stones had legs. They used the hickory pole double bed, which during the day answered the purpose of a lounge.
"That Mrs. Huxley was homesick is not to be wondered at, for surely the prospect was not a bright one. To cap the climax of the terrors of a new country, a bald-headed neighbor (anybody within fifteen or twenty miles was a neighbor) called one evening, and overhearing the remark that he looked young to be so bald, explained that it was the effect of the cold Iowa winters, whereupon the lady insisted upon 'going back; she would not stay in a land so cold as to freeze the top of a man's head like that.'" Always an active, energetic citizen, he was alive to the interests of the town which he served devotedly, and was honored and respected by all. Ten children were born to him, eight daughters and two sons. Four of the daughters are dead, and one son, William, was killed in the army during a skirmish near Dallas, Georgia, May 29, 1864. His youngest daughter, Carrie, now the wife of J. L. Glasner, was the third child born in Guthrie Center. He was a member of the first board of trustees for the township, the first postmaster, the first justice of the peace and the first mayor of Guthrie Center. On Tuesday, June 28, 1881, at six o'clock p. m., Mr. Huxley passed away to his just reward, from a world that years of suffering had made a weary waste to him, for a brighter, better land. In speaking of the last days and demise of this truly good man, this pioneer, the Journal thus speaks:
"For days and weeks prior to the sad event he had sat at his window and returned our salutations as we passed to and fro. He could not lie down, and during the dark hours of the the warm summer nights he sat at that window looking out on the silent street, to breathe the fresh air or to sleep, as he could. On the morning preceding the evening of his departure, as we hurried down the street to our office, he sat there, and the look of vigil and suffering on the face of our old friend struck us deeply, and we remarked to him, 'This warm weather is very hard on you, "Squire.' 'Indeed it is,' he brokenly answered, and all day long the far-away look in his eyes, the stern, set lineaments of his face were in our thoughts. He was in the deep waters and dark shadows, where we, whom he had often helped by his friendship and fraternity, were powerless to help him. In the evening, as we went up to the post office he still sat there. The lines had deepened on his face. It was the last battle, the last foe he was facing, yet he returned our nod as a soldier dying on the field returns the pressure of his comrade's hand. As we came back, but a little while afterward, sitting in his chair at that window where he had kept so many of the sad vigils of this world, his family gathered around him, his eyes gazing upward as if they looked into the eternal world, as if all his battles were fought, as if a message of peace had come--and so, easily, almost like a child going to sleep, our old friend, neighbor, and brother was dying.
"He was a Mason who did honor to the fraternity, who believed in the practice of the spirit of its principles and precepts, and was ever true to his brother. There was no sham about his Masonry. And on Tuesday evening when the word went abroad amongst his fellow citizens that he had passed over the border, to answer the summons of the Grand Master of the universe, all said: 'We have lost a good man. Peace be with him.' Again a lodge of sorrow met. Again a little band of brethren formed a mournful procession, with friends and fellow townsmen to bear to the grave the body of another departed brother to rest under the evergreen sprigs, which covered the coffin, a symbol, even in the darkness and coldness of the sepulchre, of that immortality which is God's crowning gift to his children. He was an honest man, a faithful brother, a true father, and in death as well as life had cared for and secured his family's welfare. His work is done."
William S. Jacoby was born in Philadephia, Pennsylvania, December 25, 1846, where he remained until he was fifteen years of age. He enlisted in the navy in 1862, and was assigned to the Harriet Lane, and was captured in January, 1863, in the Galveston harbor, Texas. He was paroled in 1863, and returned home, and a month later he was exchanged, and sent to the schooner Kittaning, crossing the gulf. He served until June, 1865, when he returned home, and there was engaged in the transfer dray business until 1866, when he joined the company D, 7th United States cavalry, with which he served until 1869, when he came home, and staying one year, he joined the 22d United States infantry. He served in that regiment until 1875, when he was discharged, and was appointed on the reserved police force at Philadephia for six months, and in August, 1876, he again enlisted in the 9th United States infantry, and serving one year, he obtained his discharge at the reduction of the army. In 1877 he came to this county, where he lived on a farm until 1882, when he became a member of the present firm of Hupp, Jacoby & Co. [in Guthrie Center] He was married in February, 1879, to Ida Young. He is a member of the G. A. R.
Albert Johnson was born in Guernsey county, Ohio, May 28, 1857. He is the son of William and Anna (Peters) Johnson. William Johnson helped to lay out the town of Guthrie Center. In the fall of 1858 Albert came with his parents to Brushy Fork, near Guthrie Center. He was married December 25, 1878, to Miss Mina Cretsinger, daughter of John and Mary (Boone) Cretsinger. They have three children--Frederick Garfield, four years old; Ira A., two years old; Roscow Ulysses, an infant. Mr. Johnson owns one hundred and forty acres in sections 17 and 20 [Orange township], mostly under cultivation. He is now justice of the peace, being electied last fall. He resides on section 20.
John McFarlane, manager of the firm of McFarlane, Dickey & Co., was born in Ontario, Canada, October 1, 1843. When five years old he was brought to Linn county, Iowa, where he received his education. Until his twnety-eighth year he remained on the farm, but after that became a dealer in agricultural implements in Benton county, from whence he came to Guthrie Center, where he has made an enviable position in business and social circles. He was married March 10, 1880, to Jeannette Mitchell, a native of Linn county, Iowa. Their marriage was blessed by two children--William M. and George. Mr. McFarlane is an earnest member of the Presbyterian church.
James S. McLuen, of the firm of McLuen & Bellows, blacksmiths and dealers in agricultural implements, is from Noble county, Ohio, and was born June 28, 1854. When James was four years of age his parents came to this county, locating in what is now Valley township. Until 1872 he did farm work, when he began learning the plasterers' trade, which he followed during the summers for five years. He has worked at his present business since 1874. He was married November 18, 1877, to Jennie Van Cleef, of Benton county, Iowa.
Richard F. McLuen, an employe of McFarlane, Dickey & Co, was born February 27, 1845, in Noble county, Ohio. In 1856, the family came to this county, settling in Valley township, on Capitol Hill. Richard worked on the farm till he was sixteen years of age, at which time he came to the city and learned the blacksmith trade with William Warrington. In 1863, he went to Panora, and from thence to Carrollton, Iowa, in the spring of 1865, where he was occuppied doing the blacksmithing for sixty five miles of the Northwestern railroad. In 1872, he returned to Guthrie Center and engaged in the agricultural business with McLuen Brothers until he accepted his present positon in 1881. January 12, 1868, he was married to Miss Rebecca J. Marshman, of Pennsyulvania. They have three children--John, Mary and Edward. Mr. McLuen was deputy sheriff from 1874 to 1877, and is a member of the A. F. and A. M.
William McLuen opened the pioneer harness shop in Guthrie Center, in 1858.
Adam Means, the stockman and butcher, was born in Marion county, Indiana, June 12, 1842, his parents being William and Elizabeth (Draper) Means. They removed to Jasper county, Iowa, in the fall of 1849, where the father died, February 12, 1881, aged seventy-three years. Mr. Means came to Guthrie county May 24, 1879, locating on section 1, union township, where he still carries on general farming. He commenced the stock business in April 1880, in connection with Mr. E. Lindley, and continued thus until April 15, 1884, when they dessolved parnership, each one continuing the business for himself. Mr. Means enlisted November 29, 1861, in company G, 14th Iowa infantry, and served with his regiment until the spring of 1862, when a complication of maladies compelled his retirement from the service. Going home, he recovered sufficiently to re-enlist in company H. 9th Iowa cavalry (Colonel Trumbull), in September, 1863. He lost an eye while with his regiment, and was discharged May 29, 1864. His father started a hotel and kept a stage station in Jasper county in 1851, when it was in the midst of a wilderness. He was married in Jasper county, November 27, 1866, to Miss Mary A. Clark, a native of Indiana. His mother died in April, 1883.
The furniture stand now occupied by James E. Mercer [in Guthrie Center] was established some years ago by Gingrich and many changes have occurred in the firm... James E. Mercer was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, December 7, 1830, where he lived until he was twenty-one years of age. He then came to Hancock county, Illinois, where he was engaged in farming. In 1879 he came to this county [Guthrie], locating in Victory township, where he farmed and did carpentering work. In June, 1883, he established the furniture business. He was married, in October, 1856, to Miss Julia A. Detans, a native of Vermont. They have five children--Orville D., Harry H., Clara M., Alfred J. and Paul L. They are members of the Baptist church, Mrs. Mercer being superintendent of that Sunday-school.
George S. Mitchell, of the firm of Payton & Mitchell, is a native of Vermillion county, Illinois, and was born October 13, 1840. When thirteen years of age he came to Dallas county, Iowa, where he was raised and educated. In 1866 he gave up farm life and engaged in the milling business in Adel, and afterward in Dallas county. This calling he has followed almost constantly since, and in 1880 he removed to Guthrie Center, where he is doing a very prosperous business. He was married February 7, 1861, to Mahala J. Payton, of Indiana, by which union they have two children--Maurice C. and Mott P. Mr. Mitchell is a member of the Masonic order and of the chapter, and is a consistent follower of the M. E. church.
Daniel Luther Motz is one of the most successful men in Guthrie Center, and a man who, since his settlement there, has probably done more toward making that little city what it is than any of its citizens. In the business history of Guthrie Center his name appears as a partner or alone in no less than six or eight firms. His faculty for frequent changes of business, and the success attending all of his endeavors, has become almost proverbial. He was born in Center county, Pennsylvania, December 25, 1839. His father having died when he was a boy, he was reared and educated by an uncle. His mother died in 1879. He resided in his native county until the spring of 1860, when he came to Guthrie Center, and with his brother, John E. Motz, opened a general store. In 1861 (July) he enlisted in company C, 4th Iowa regiment, serving three years and two months. He enlisted as orderly, and was mustered out as a sergeant. Colonel Nichols, his commander, said of him: " He was a man always found in the front ranks when any fighting was to be done." After his discharge he retuned home, and continued in the firm of Motz Bros. until 1867. He then closed out his interest in the firm and engaged in the drug business, which he sold out in 1868, and for the following five years was engaged in farming. In 1873 he engaged in the milling business, which he successfully managed until 1872 [sic]. In 1879 he built the present city mill. In 1882 he became a member of the firm of Brumbaugh, Motz & Hurlburt, closing out his interest in the same after one year. During the summer of 1883 he and John E. Motz built the present court-house. In 1883 he became a partner with J. E. Mercer in the furniture business, and sold his interest to that gentleman in November of the same year; and the same month became the landlord of the Central hotel and two months later became a parner in the livery firm of Davidson and Motz, which is run in connection with the hotel. He was married November 1, 1864, to Miss Hester A. Reed, a daughter of Samuel Reed, an old settler of this county. Mrs Motz is one of those ladies who seem born to make others happy, and makes a capital landlady of the Central. They have four cildren living--Eddie D., Lola E., Samuel A. and Zula A. Mr. Motz is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. The family are members of the Baptist church. Mr Motz is one of the proprietors of the skating rink.
John E. Motz is the oldest merchant doing business in Guthrie Center, and is truly the architect of his own fortune. He came to that city in April, 1859, and with but $250 of his own, and opened a small general store, and by economy, enterprise and close application to business has built up his business, till now, he is the head of the largest firm in the county. He is a native of Center county, Pennsylvania, and was born October 13, 1822. His parents, James and Rebecca (Mark) Motz, were natives of Center county. John E. is the eldest of a family of six children, and when sexteen years of age was taught the tailor trade by his father, with whom he remained until 1855. He then engaged in the tailoring business in Woodward, Pennsylvania, where he remained until 1858. In 1859 he went to Ohio in quest of a location, but, not finding one to suit him, in April he came to Guthrie Center. He was united in marriage in 1846 to Miss Catherine Stover, a native of Pennsylvania. They have three children--Montgomery, Grant and Juniata. Mr. Motz is a member of the present city council and a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Elijah C. Mount, real-estate loan and abstracts, was born in Montgomery county, Indiana, February 27, 1845. His father Stephensen Mount, was a native of Kentucky, and came to Dallas county, Iowa, in 1851, and 1854 to Guthrie county, settling on section 3, Jackson township. He was one among the prominent actors in the early history of the county. Elijah was reared on his father's farm in this county, and received his education in schools of the neighborhood. In July 1861, he enlisted in Company C, 4th Iowa infantry, as a private, and arose from the ranks to the position of second lieutenant of the company. He was mustered out of service in August, 1865, and in the fall went to Indianapolis, Indiana, where he attended Bryant & Stratton's commercial college during the winter and spring term. He then resided in Chicago, Illinois, for some three months, after which time he located in Wisconsin. In 1866 he returned to Guthrie county, where he followed farming. In 1869 he was elected auditor, being the first to fill that office by election. As soon as he had filled the term of service as auditor, he removed to Sioux Rapids, Iowa, where he remained from January 1, to August 1872. He then went to Rock Rapids, Iowa, where he was a resident until August, 1873. He then emigrated to Colorado, locating in Pueblo county, and in November, 1874, he retuned to Rock Rapids, Iowa, where he engaged in farming and abstracting; and in November 1876, he returned to Guthrie county, and almost immediately, accepted the position of deputy clerk of court, which he held until January, 1879. He then formed a partnership with Thomas Seeley, and engaged in the abstract and real-estate business, and three months later purchased Mr. Seeley's interest in the business. He was united in marriage January 14, 1872, to Maria J. Hart, a native of Indiana. They have four children. Mr. M. is a member, both of the I. O. O. F. and Masonic fraternities.
Richard J. Patterson entered into the mercantile trade of Guthrie Center in December, 1883, in the grocery business. His building is 24X70, and his stock will invoice twelve to fifteen hundred dollars. Although a new business man, he is a well-known old settler, and is building up quite a good trade. Richard J. Patterson, the subject of this sketch, is a mative of Baltimore, Maryland, and was born February 14, 1821. He is the son of Benjamin and Julia (McComas) Patterson, who were natives also of Maryland. In 1828 the family removed to Cincinnati, Ohio, where Richard was reared and educated. When a young man, he was apprenticed to the cabinet-maker's trade, which occupation he followed in that city until 1842. He then located in Woodford, Kentucky, where he resided two years. He then returned to Cincinnati, where he remained a short time, and then settled in Springfield, Ohio, where resided until 1852. In that year he came to Jefferson county, Iowa, where he lived until 1856. He then came to Guthrie county, and made a farm on section 1, Union township. In 1857 he removed to Panora, where he worked at his trade until 1856. He then returned to the farm, settling this time on section 19, Highland township. In December, 1883, he moved to Guthrie Center, and engaged in the grocery business. He was married in June, 1824, to Miss Mary A. Smith, a native of Virginia. They have six children living--Sarah E., Julia F., Benjamin M., Mary J., Ellen, and Jessie M. Mr. Patterson was a member of the board of supervisors from Highland township for ten years, and is one of Guthrie county's best citizens.
William Payton, one of the proprietors of the City Mills, is from Union county, Indiana, and was born there January 18, 1821. The family removed to Delaware county, Indiana, in 1832, and eleven years afterward William went back to Union county, where he farmed until 1845, when he located in Blackford county for three years, going from there to Huntington county, where he engaged in the hardware business for some time. He next followed the same business in Dallas county, Iowa, until 1866, when he returned to Huntington county; stayed five years and again went to DeSota in Dallas county, where he still worked at the hardware business. In May, 1882, he came to this city [Guthrie Center], and has since followed his present occupation. August 22, 1840, he was married to Catharine Norris, of Kentucky. The are the possessors of four children--Mary A., Mahala J., John W. and William F. Mr Payton is a devoted member and class leader of the M. E. church.
Oscar H. Phillips, of the firm of Hyzer & Phillips, druggists, was born September 2, 1820, in St. Lawrence county, New York. His father, John Phillips, was born in Montgomery county, New York, while his mother, Martha Barnhart, was from Poughkeepsie, New York. His early life was passed on a farm in his native county, and in 1841 he went to Lima, Livingston county, New York, where he became proprietor of a hotel, continuing in that work until 1846, when he went to Jefferson county, New York. Here he staid three years, after which he engaged in merchandising in Rochester, New York, till 1859, and then went to Mt. Morris, in which place he was living at the time of the breaking out of the rebellion in 1861. He assisted in organizing company H, 27th New York regiment, and acted as its second lieutenant for five months. At this time he was compelled to return to Mt. Morris to attend to a large hotel interest there. Selling out in 1864, he came to Des Moines, Iowa, in the fall of 1865, and the next spring located in this city [Guthrie Center], carrying on a grocery and restaurant for four years. After this he returned to farm life, which occupied his attention for six years, when he again came to Guthrie Center, and in 1882 began the drug business, in which he has been very successful. He was married September 10, 1860, to Miss Maggie Hewey, of Ireland, who is a member of the Baptist church.
C. H. Prior engaged in the jewelry business in Guthrie Center in 1874, and continued the business alone until September, 1883, when the present firm was formed. C. H. Prior is a native of Summit county, Ohio, and was born August 13, 1853. His parents, Joshua and Mary J. (Dickerson) Prior, were natives, he of Summit county, Ohio, and she of New York state. The family came to Jackson county in 1855, remaining in that county until 1857. They then came to this county, where Carson was reared to manhood and educated. In 1875 he engaged in his present business. He was wedded to Miss Juniata Motz, a daughter of John E. Motz, of this county, in 1871. They have two children--Minnie and Charles. Mr. P. is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows lodge No. 113, of Guthrie Center.
Harvey M. Sampson, engaged in the grain business at Menlo, Iowa, in 1869, where he remained ten years. In 1880 he took the management of Mr. Stuart's business at Guthrie Center. He is an able business man, and is one of the most popular grain men in Guthrie county. He was born in Essex county, New York, July 13, 1830, where he was reared and educated. In 1848 he moved to Franklin county, New York, where he resided until 1852. He then emigrated to California where he was mining and prospecting until 1855. He then returned to Franklin county where he was engaged in the manufacture of starch, and was also in the lumber trade. In 1861 he located in Geneseo, Illinois, where he was in the employ of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific railroad for one year, he then held a situation with that company for six years in Henry Marshall county, Illinois. In 1869 he came to Menlo, Iowa, and in 1880 he came to Guthrie Center. He was united in marriage May 5, 1856, with Miss Sarah M. Rowell, a native of Vermont. They have one child--Celia, married to W. M. Harris, of Menlo. Mr. Sampson is a member of Orange lodge, No. 123, A. F. & A. M., of this city, Milton chapter, No. 98, R. A. M.
Edward R. Sayles, banker and attorney, was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, August 17, 1852. His father, Albert P. Sayles, was a native of Ohio, and his mother, Susan (Jones) Sayles, was born in Vermont, but was reared in Illinois. In 1857 the family emigrated to Lyons, in Clinton county, Iowa, where Edward was reared, and there received his early education. In 1867-68 he attended Iowa college at Grinnell, Iowa, and in 1873-74 attended the state university. In 1875 he began the study of law, in the office of the Hon. A. R. Cotton, of Clinton county, Iowa, with whom he studied eighteen months. He was then admitted to the bar of that county, and became the clerk and later the partner of his former preceptor. In January, 1881, he came to Guthrie Center, and engaged in the banking business. He was united in marriage with Miss Mary L. Armstrong, April 14, 1881. They have one daughter--Helen C. Mr. Sayles is at present the city treasurer, and a member of the city council.
Dwight F. Shocklin, the shoemaker and dealer in boots and shoes [in Guthrie Center], is a native of Noble county, Ohio, [son of Joseph S. Shocklin] and was born September 23, 1857. He commenced business in Guthrie Center in September, 1882, and is favorably known to its citizens. He was married in February, 1882, to Miss Christina Flanagan, in Guthrie Center. One child--Ina Pauline, has blessed their union.
William B. Stover, of Stover Brothers & Motz, was born in Center county, Pennsylvania, December 13, 1844. His parents John and Catherine (Brown) Stover, were natives of that state. William is the twelfth child of a family of fourteen children,, and was reared in his native county. He was reared in the occupation of farming, and followed that occupation until 1866, when he located in Effingham, Illinois, there residing about two years. He then came to Guthrie Center, and held a position as clerk with Motz & Co. until becoming a member of the firm in March, 1874. He is one of our most successful and progressive business men, and is well and favorably known by the citizens of Guthrie county. He was united in marriage May 6, 1880, to Miss Alice McCluen. They have two children--Murry C. and Ward.
Stover Brothers & Motz are the largest dealers in their line in Guthrie Center, if not in the county. They carry a large and well-assorted stock of dry goods, clothing, boots, shoes, notions, etc., and occupy the large double store in the Opera house block. The present firm was formed March, 1874, and they carry about $20,000 worth of goods in stock. The store-room, which is large, light and convenient, is fitted up in superb style, with plate glass windows, handsome chandeliers, tasty shelving and all the accessories that go to make up a first-class business house, making the place well worthy of its name of "Palace Store." The principal room is 35x80, and would do credit to a large city in its general appearance. The gentlemen composing the firm are wealthy and influential citizens, and are largely interested in the growth of the place.
W. H. Swank, of Prior & Swank, jewelers, was born in Noble county, Indiana, November 17, 1859, his parents being Isaac and Mary (Williamson) Swank. In 1868 the family moved to Jasper county, Iowa, where they lived three years. They then located in Mitchellville, Iowa, where they lived until March, 1882. In September of that year our subject began working with C. H. Prior in the jewelry business [in Guthrie Center] and in August, 1883, became his partner; the firm then became Prior & Swank. He was united in marriage to Miss Ella Allen June 25, 1884.
John W. Taylor, one of the leading grocers of Guthrie Center, was born in Hancock county, Illinois, June 13, 1853. He is a son of William H. Taylor, now a resident of this county. When five years of age John was taken by the family to McDonnough county, Illinois, and after one year's residence there they removed to Allamakee county, Iowa, there remaining about two and one-half years. They then removed to Buchanan county, Iowa, there living one year. They then returned to Illinois, locating in Schuyler county, where they resided until 1869. They then came to Guthrie county, where our subject followed the occupation of farming until 1875. He then accepted a clerkship with Hon. J. A. Lyons, which position he held until engaging in the grocery business with G. C. Miller, under the firm name of Miller & Taylor, in January, 1882. He was united in marriage September 18, 1878, to Miss Emma H. Jean, a native of Indiana. They have three children--Laura W., Lorenzo O., and an infant. In the summer of 1884, Mr. Taylor, dissolving the parnership between himself and Mr. Miller, set up for himself in the line of groceries, queensware, etc., and has a good, fair trade.
Charles G. Trent of Trent & McConnell, is one of our most successful and promising young merchants, and a man who is very popular with the public. He was born in Pike county, Illinois, July 13, 1851. When eight years of age he with the family removed to Polk county, Iowa, where he was reared on a farm, and received his education from the school of that county. In 1876 he came to Guthrie Center, and held a position as clerk in the hardware store of D. H. Brumbaugh, with whom he remained one year. In 1878 he engaged in the grocery business with D. H. Brumbaugh, style of firm, C. G. Trent & Co. In 1882 he engaged in business with his present partner, style of firm, Trent & McConnell. He was united in marriage to Mrs. Mary E. Rainie, a native of Iowa. They have four childrn--Flora, Allie, Charlie and Archie. Mr. and Mrs. Trent are members of the Methodist church, of Guthrie Center, Iowa.
Rhesa G. Van Cleef, grocer.--The father of our subject Richard Van Cleef, is an old pioneer of Iowa. He came to Benton county when the Indians were residents there, and the only playmates his children had for years, were "pappooses." He was born in Ohio, in 1817, and emigrated to Iowa, in 1849. He is now a resident of Guthrie Center. The mother of our subject, Susana (Conley) Van Cleef, was born in Ohio, January 5, 1819, and after rearing eight children and seeing them all happily placed in life, passed to the better land, March 27, 1883. Rhesa was born in Boone county, Indiana, January 17, 1842, and is the second son of this family. He, in 1849, was taken by the family to Benton county, Iowa, where he was raised, and there spent his time in agricultural pursuits until 1862. In August, of that year, he enlistened in Company A, 28th Iowa regiment, and served until discharged, at Davenport, Iowa, August 12, 1865. He then returned to Benton county. In 1869, he came to Guthrie county, where he farmed until 1873; he then engaged in the grocery business. He was married October 20, 1866, to Miss Barbara E. Jones, a native of Ohio. They have had eight children, four of whom are now living--Charlie E., William H., Lucia, and boy baby, born June 3, 1884. He is a member of the G. A. R. and member of the M. E. church.
William G. Van Cleef was born in Benton county, Iowa, July 3, 1852, and is the son of R. N. and Susanna (Conley) Van Cleef. He removed from Benton county in 1869, and for a year and a half remained in Missouri, from thence going to Panora, where he followed the business of photography, and also worked one year at the barber business while there. In 1877 he located at Guthrie Center, April 15, 1874, he was married in Dallas county, to Miss Florence Metcalf, of Indiana. They have three children living--Lenora, Nellie, and Ivy. Clyde and Harry both died at the age of five months.
D. P. Williams, of Williams & Powell, meat market, was born in Greene county, New York, August 1, 1846, his parents being David and Pauline (Powell) Williams. He was reared and educated in his native county, and there resided until 1876, when he came to Des Moines, Iowa, where he remained one year. He then came to Guthrie Center, where he engaged in the meat business on March 11, 1877. He was married December 10, 1867, to Miss Rachel L. Hoteling, a native of New York; they have two children--Cleon H. and Orlo D. The firm are engaged in the stock business generally, and devote special attention to blooded stock.