of Hardin County, Iowa
Watson B. Ackles resides on section 2, where he located in 1867, purchasing his farm of J. M. Scott. This farm was originally settled by Charles McClure, and contains 280 acres. Mr. Ackles was born in Onondaga county, N. Y., in 1835, where he lived till nine years of age, when his parents removed to Ontario county. The family afterward moved to Michigan, where parents, Frederick and Susan Ackles, resided till their death. Mr. Ackles drove a flock of sheep, in 1865, from Michigan to Grundy Center, Iowa. He soon after engaged in railroading on the west division of the Rock Island Railroad. He afterward went to New York City. Returning to Michigan, he enaged in another sheep speculation, driving a large flock to Missouri in 1866. He then went to Marshalltown, in the fall of that year, coming to Hardin county in June, 1867. His wife is Delilah, only child of Mr. J. R. Thornton, who also resides on section 2 in this township.
Riley Adams, one of the pioneers of Hardin county, was born October 25, 1832, in Knox county, Ohio. When eight years of age his parents moved to Warren county, Ill. He grew to manhood there, and received a common school education. He was married November 9, 1853, to Miss Catherine Karnes, who was born July 3, 1838, in Ohio. In 1854 Mr. Adams came to Hardin county, locating in Union township, on the land where Gifford now stands. He remained here until 1859, when he sold his farm and started for Pike's Peak, but after reaching Des Moines, met several parties on their return from that Eldorado, with anything but favorable news; they gave such bad news that Mr. Adams gave up the trip and returned to Hardin county, and the same summer removed with his family to Illinois, where he remained until 1872, when he returned with his family to again make his home in Hardin county. He bought the farm of Philip Mason, on section 25, Eldora township, where he still lives, and has a nice farm containing 165 acres, valued at $42.50 per acre. Mr. and Mrs. Adams are the parents of eight children, namely: Margaret E., William R., Samuel O., Charlie, Mary J., Cora A., Nellie and Albert W.
James Bachman, manufacturer of wagons and carriages, also engaged in blacksmithing, established business in Eldora in the spring of 1856. Mr. Bachman has been continually in business, since that time, except during two years that he worked for a railroad company. He was born in North Hampton county, Pennsylvania , July 27, 1828 , where he grew to manhood, and married Miss Emma C. Bruch. They came to Eldora, August 26, 1856 . Mr. Bachman reached Iowa City on his way to Eldora, on the first passenger train which ever entered that city. His father-in-law, John Bruch, came here with his family a year previous to the time Mr. Bachman came. He was killed by lightning, June, 1856. The parents of Mr. Bachman were natives of Pennsylvania . His father died, November 3, 1872 , at the advanced age of 76 years. His mother is still living, and is now eighty-four years of age, and bids fair to live many years. Mrs. Bachman's parents were also natives of Pennsylvania , her mother is still living, is at the present time seventy-two years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Bachman are the parents of four children – Mary A., now Mrs. H. E. Gardner; Jona Z., now Mrs. J. F. Shultz; Lilly B., now Mrs. H. B. Shilling; Rosa B., twin sister of Lilly, died in her 17 th year.
James E. Bailey was born at the homestead, where he now lives, and which he now owns, March 18, 1854. His father, Wm. Bailey, who still survives at the advanced age of eighty-seven years, is one of the earliest settlers of the township of Eldora, locating on section 20, where he still lives. He was born in New Jersey, July 30, 1795. His father died when he was a boy. He removed to Pennsylvania with his mother's family, thence to Ohio, where he was married. From Ohio he went to Illinois, and came here from Illinois, as before stated, in March 1852. He bought his farm of Jonathon Conger, who had made a claim of the place. Mr. Bailey has the honor of having built the first school house ever built in Hardin county -- the building made of logs, which was located near his residence, on section 20. Scarcely a vestage of this school house remains, and its former site is covered with trees of many years' growth. Mr. Bailey was a shoemaker by trade, and followed that business, in connection with farming, for many years. He is still hale, for one so old, and bids fair to live many years yet. His wife died January 22, 1879, in her seventy-third year. Mr. and Mrs. Bailey had fourteen children -- six sons and eight daughters. Four sons and five daughters are living, viz: Henry, in Fort Scott, Kan., where he has been for many years; Wm. D., in Webster City; Elizabeth, wife of Samuel Waggamen; Harriet E., wife of A. E. Webb, of Eldora; Susan; Samantha A.; Thomas H., resides at Gifford; Julia and James E. The latter was born at the homestead, March 18, 1854, and is the only one born in Iowa. The house, which the family still occupy, is of logs, and was built in 1853 -- one of the first built in the county.
Rev. Ariel A. Baker succeeded Mr. Graves, beginning his work here [Congregational Church, Eldora] in November, 1874, and closing his services in October, 1876. Mr. Baker was born in Enosburg, Vt.; received his literary education in the college at Burlington, that State, and his theological education at Andover Theological Seminary. He was an able preacher, one of more than ordinary ability; a fluent speaker and a good pastor.
Rev. John R. Barnes followed Mr. Baker, beginning his labors here [Congregational Church, Eldora] in December, 1876, and ending them at the expiration of two years. He was a native of Ohio, and received his literary education at Oberlin College, in that State, and subsequently entered the Theological Seminary at Andover, Mass., from which he graduated. In his work at Eldora he was quite successful, and made a good pastor.
Reuben Billings is a native of Stark county, Ohio , where he was born in 1824. When eighteen years of age, he removed to Indiana with his parents. He went to Wisconsin in 1847, while that State was still a territory. He voted on the adoption of the constitution in that State. His father was John Billings, a brick mason by trade, Reuben also learning that business of his father. Mr. John Billings removed to this county about 1855. Reuben Billings came to Iowa in 1868, and settled in Grundy county. He was engaged for some time at the “Orphans' Home,” at Cedar Falls , and afterwards at the State Reform School, at Eldora, where he had charge of the farm of that institution. For one and one half years of his stay here, the institution was under the superintendency of Superintendent McCarty, and for six months under Superintendent Johnson, and for three years under Superintendent Wymans. His wife, during the time, had charge of the tailoring department of the institution. Mrs. Billings was formerly Miss Ellen M. Johnson, born in the State of New York . Her father was Filer Johnson, of Green Lake county, Wis. Mr. Billings bought his farm in March, 1881. It is situated on section 3, Eldora township. Mr. Billings enlisted, October 8, 1861 , in Company A, 16 th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, under Captain Saxe. He was wounded April 6, 1862 , at the battle of Shiloh . He was discharged in July, 1862, and, on account of his wounds, draws a pension from the Government.
F. Blum was born in Germany, November, 1828, and learned the trade of shoemaking in his native country; came to America in 1852, and located in Seneca county, Ohio, remaining until 1858; thence to JoDavies county, Illinois, and worked at his trade until 1872, when he came to Hardin county, and for one summer ran a farm near Point Pleasant, and in the fall 1872 opened a shoe shop at Eldora; married 1851 to Dorothea Blum. They have seven children -- Catherine, Robert, Martin Luther, George Washington, Charles Albert, Nettie and Frances.
Samuel Bowman came to Hardin county in March, 1856. He was born in Pennsylvania, in 1817, but removed, when an infant, with his parents to Stark county, Ohio. He went to Indiana when about twenty-five years of age, and thence to Illinois; coming to Hardin county, as before mentioned, in March, 1856. He first settled in the village of Eldora, and engaged in farming. He afterwards settled on section 3, but exchanged his farm there for a farm on section 28; the latter farm he still owns. Mr. Bowman is a carpenter by trade, and followed the business of carpentering for thirty years. Mrs. Bowman was formerly Miss Hannah Epley, and was born in Pennsylvania, bu removed with her parents to Stark county, Ohio, when ten years ofage. Mr. and Mrs. Bowman have four children -- Mary A., now Mrs. William Buckner, born in Ohio; Salome, wife of D. V. Ellsworth, born in Ohio; James, born in Indiana, and Samuel, born in Illinois. They lost four children, all of who died in childhood.
S. W. Boyd is a native of Westmoreland county, Pa., where he was born in 1848. He was brought up in Pennsylvania, and spent seven years in the oil regions of that State. He came to Eldora December 4, 1874. Since his coming to Eldora, he has served as Deputy sheriff of Hardin county for four years, making a valuable and efficient offer. He is a brother of Mr. J. M. Boyd, of Eldora. His wife was Mary Woodside, daughter of James Woodside, an early settler of Hardin county.
John T. Boylan, present Deputy Sheriff of Hardin county, is the son of W. W. Boylan, one of the earliest settlers of the town of Tipton. He was born in Clayton county, Iowa, in 1855, and came to this county with his parents in 1857. Mr. Boylanwas engaged in teaching in this county for several years. He has been Deputy Sheriff since September 1, 1881. He is a pleasant and agreeable man, a faithful officer and universally esteemed.
Rev. Charles F. Boynton was born in Phippsburg , Maine , September 7, 1832 , and was educated in Bowdoin College , New Brunswick , and graduated from the Bangor Theological Seminary, at Bangor , Maine . He was ordained to the ministry August 6, 1861 . He was an earnest, faithful minister of Christ, and labored faithfully to advance His cause. He was of very nervous temperament, earnest and practical in his sermons. As a pastor, he endeared himself to the flock, and made many warm friends inside and outside the Church. He now resides in Freeport , L. I.
Mr. Boynton resigned the pastorate March, 1873, at which time there was a membership of 63. He delivered his farewell discourse May 4, 1873 . [Mr. Boynton came to Eldora on January 21, 1868 .]
Myron Brownell resides on section 23, where he owns a farm of 200 acres. He bought his farm of various parties. That part on which the buildings are situated, he bought of Robert McDougal; bought 40 acres of H. L. Lathrop, of Iowa City; 40 of William Cline and 40 acres of Mr. John Way. Mr. Brownell was born in Montgomery county, N. Y., in 1835, where he was brought up. He married Almira Young, who was, also, born in Montgomery county. He removed to Wisconsin in 1859, and settled in Fon du Lac county. He came here in 1867. He has three children: Francis M., Lucy A. and C. Fremont. Mr. Brownell has a desirable farm, all of which he made.
William T. Buckner, on section 3, is the son of Henry Buckner, who was born in Harrison county, Ky., in 1800, where he lived till twelve years of age, when he removed to the State of Indiana, with his mother, his father having died in Kentucky. Henry Buckner was brought up in Indiana; married Nancy McClure. They came to Hardin county in 1855, and settled on section 9, where Mr. Buckner died, in October, 1874. His wife survives her husband. William T. Buckner was born in 1853, and came to Hardin county with his father, in 1855. He married Mary A. Bowman, daughter of Samuel Bowman. They have four children -- Frances C., Samuel C., Ettie V. and Pearl Adell; lost a daughter, Emma. The parents of Mr. Buckner had eight children, four sons and four daughters, all of whom are living but one son, Edward C., who was a member of the 12th Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Captain S. R. Edgington's company, and was killed at Fort Donelson. Mr. Buckner is the only member of his father's family now living in Hardin county.
Clarence Burling, abstract maker and dealer in real estate, was born in the city of New York , in 1835. Mr. Burling is descended from one of the early merchants of that city. His great-grandfather, Jas. Burling, was a native of England , but emigrated to New York before the Revolution, and espoused the cause of the colonies during that struggle. He was for a time a prisoner in the old “sugar-house” prison of that city, at the time the British army occupied New York . He was succeeded in business by Walter Burling, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, and he in time was succeeded by Jas. Burling, the father of Clarence, who sold goods in New York for forty years. He removed to Green Lake county, Wis. , in 1850, but died in Fon du Lac county. Mr. Clarence Burling came to Eldora in 1865. He was appointed postmaster, here, in 1866, and held that office till 1871. He was then engaged in the grain business till 1877, when he engaged in his present business. He is of the firm of Preston & Burling, his partner being an attorney.
Clifton Clark came to Eldora in 1869. In the fall of that year he engaged in the sale of farm machinery. Mr. Clark was born in Michigan , and came to Grundy Center , Grundy county, in 1864, where he was engaged in business till he came to Eldora. His wife was Miss Clara McClure, daughter of Charles J. McClure, one of the early settlers of Eldora township. Mr. McClure was born in Illinois . He settled in Eldora township in October, 1853. He settled on the farm now owned by James Horner. Mr. McClure was married in Illinois , to Serepta Vansickle, who was born in Illinois . They had four children – Clara B., Winfield, now an engineer on the Central Iowa Railroad; Robert Henry and John Thomas. Mr. McClure removed to Kansas in the fall of 1879, where he now resides. Mr. and Mrs. Clark have had four children – Jennie Amelia, C. Herbert and Abigail; lost one son, John.
John D. Conger is the son of Jonathon Conger, one of the earliest settlers of Hardin county. Jonathon Conger was a native of Kentucky, and removed to Illinois. He came to Hardin county and settled on land in the township of Eldora, on sections 20 and 21, in 1851, where he lived till 1856, when he removed to Eldora, where he died in 1857. John D. Conger, of whom we write, was born in Illinois, in 1836. He enlisted in 1861, in the 12th Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served about four and one-half years. He was a faithful soldier, and was badly wounded at the battle of Corinth. In January, 1865, he was promoted to First Lieutenant, and in February following to Captain, which position he held till the close of the war. He participated in most of the battles in which his regiment was engaged. His wife was Penina Benson, born in Illinois. They have five children -- all boys -- Fred. B., Frank R., Harold W., John S. and Max.
John Crosbie resides on section 17. He came to Hardin county in 1856, and bought 80 acres of his present farm. Mr. Crosbie was born in Penninghamshire, Scotland, about 1824. He emigrated to Pennsylvania about 1851. He was engaged on State works in Lehi county for several years. Mr. Crosbie has a good farm of 160 acres, which was known as grub land. He has, by hard work, made an excellent farm, and feels well rewarded for his years of labor and industry. Mrs. Crosbie was formerly Rebecca Richards, of Pleasant township. They have five children -- John, Edward, William, Agnes, and an infant daughter; lost two children.
Jacob Davis, who resides on section 12, was a settler of 1851. He was born in Monroe county, Ohio, in 1824, and removed with his parents to Indiana when he was eight years of age. His father, Abraham Davis, died in Indiana when Jacob was about twelve years of age. When twenty-five years of age, Mr. Davis removed to the State of Illinois. Came to Hardin county in 1851, and settled where he now lives in 1855. He married Miss Laura Bates, a daughter of Joseph Bates, who settled in Clay township, from Illinois, in 1855. He afterwards settled at Steamboat Rock, where he lived till his death. Mr. Davis having lived in Hardin county from its earliest history, has witnessed its development from a wild and uncultivated region to its present cultivated and prosperous condition. Soon after he came to the county, he killed a buffalo, which was probably the first animal of the kind killed in the county. Mr. and Mrs. Davis have four children, all of whom were born here, viz: Martha, Samuel, Sarah and Clara.
B. E. Deyeo, proprietor of the Ellsworth House, is a native of Orange county, N. Y., where he was born January 1, 1837. He removed with his parents to Dixon, Ill., when but five years of age, where his father, Solomon Deyeo, resided till his death, in 1862. Mr. Deyeo went to California, where he remained about two years. He came back in the fall of 1866, and bought the Ellsworth House of D. F. Ellsworth, which, after four years, he sold to Mr. Winchester, but still owns the livery and stables in connection with the house. Mrs. Deyeo was formerly Miss Josephine Simpson, born in the State of New York. Mr. and Mrs. Deyeo are the parents of three children.
Levi Dobbins, of Eldora, is a mill-wright by trade. He is a son of Wm. Dobbins, one of the earliest settlers of the town of Providence. Wm. Dobbins was born in North Carolina. He was united in marriage to Rebecca Burcham, also a native of North Carolina. They were Quakers by birth and education. They came to Hardin county, August 31, 1851, and settled in the town of Providence, on the south side of Honey creek. Mr. Wm. Dobbins lived in that township for several years, and then went to Iowa Falls. He was a blacksmith by trade, and worked at blacksmithing for several years, and afterward engaged in carpentering, and is best known as a carpenter and builder. He removed to Kansas in the summer of 1870. He now lives in Jewel county, in that State. He has seven children, all of whom but the youngest, were born in North Carolina. The children are: N. C., Daniel, Levi, Hiram, Joshua, John and Anna Mary; all of whom are residents of Kansas, except Levi, who was born in Yadkin county, N. C., in 1840. He enlisted in the 12th Iowa, Co. A, and served during the entire period of the war of the rebellion. He married Harriet A. Ball, daughter of Joshua Ball, an early settler of Jackson township, now in Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. Dobbins have five children -- two sons and three daughters.
J. J. Donovan resides on section 33. He was born in Kentucky, in 1815; he removed to Illinois with his mother's family, his father having died of cholera in Kentucky, in 1832. Mr. Donovan lived in Illinois for many years. He came to Hardin county in the fall of 1856, and settled where he now lives the following year. He was married to Eliza Cooper, born in Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Donovan have five children -- Margaret E., John W., Ellen Louisa, Elijah H. and Harriet. They lost seven children, three of whom died of that fearful disease, diptheria.
C. McK. Duren has been cashier of the bank [Hardin County Bank at Eldora , Iowa ] since its organization. He was born in Maine in 1842. His parents removed to Vermont when he was but a few months old. He resided in Vermont till 1866, when he went to Dubuque, Iowa, where he was engaged for a time as book-keeper in a mercantile establishment, and was afterward connected with the “Merchant's National Bank,” of that city, and came here to take the position of cashier on the organization of the bank. For many years Mr. Duren transacted most of the business pertaining to the bank, acting as general manager, as well as cashier. He is a genial and popular gentleman, and his many years of experience have given him a thorough knowledge of the banking business. He was married at Dubuque , Iowa , June, 1868, to a daughter of the Rev. Lyman Whiting, D. D. , of that city, now of West Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Duren have two daughters: Mabel, born in 1873, and Fannie, born in 1875.
The first merchants of Eldora were the Edgington Brothers, who commenced business a short distance from the present town site, and removed to the village in December, 1853. For a quarter of a century the firm was well known to the people of Hardin county. Originally, the firm consisted of Samuel R. and Jonathon, and subsequently Joseph and Jesse were admitted as partners, the former in 1856 and the latter in 1854. In the early day their trade was not confined alone to Hardin county, but for many miles north and west. They were dealers in general merchandise, and bought nearly everything a farmer had to sell, including live stock, which they shipped to the eastern and southern markets.
Joseph Edgington was born in Richland county, Ohio, in 1820. He was educated in the common schools of that then new country, and, like all other farmers' boys, inured to hard work. He remained on the farm on which he was born till 1856, when he came to Hardin county, and became one of the firm of the Edgington Brothers, in the mercantile trade. In politics, Captain Edgington was originally a Democrat, but when the pro-slavery doctrine became one of the cardinal principles of that party, he left it, and became a staunch Republican. In 1862, he enlisted in the 32d Iowa Infantry, and on its organization he was elected Captain of his company, and as such served two years, when he resigned. In 1872, Captain Edgington was appointed postmaster, which position he still retains, having twice been re-appointed. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Eldora, and of Montague Lodge No. 117, A. F. and A. M., and was the second Worshipful Master of that body. He was married Nov. 26, 1844, to Abigail Harris, a sister of Bishop Harris, of the M. E. Church.
Jonathon Edgington was born in Richland county, Ohio, September 30, 1824. He grew to manhood in that county, and was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. When eighteen years of age, he went to Huron county, and spent one year in learning the trade of blacksmith. Returning to Richland county, he worked at that trade for six years. In 1849, he married Mary Mitchell, of Richland county. Five children have blessed this union, four of whom are now living - Annette, Jane, Albert Wilder, Mary Amanda, Lee Eldon. The deceased one was named Emma J. On the 20th of June, 1853, Mr. Edgington came to Hardin county to actively engage in business as one of the Edgington Brothers. In 1868, he withdrew from the firm, since which time he has engaged in the grain business. During the first six months, he was in partnership with W. H. Crawford, at the expiration of which time he purchased Mr. Crawford's interest, and has since continued it alone. Mr. Edgington has been an active Odd Fellow since 1850, and a Mason since 1860. In Montague Lodge, A. F. and A. M., of Eldora, he has held the office of Worshipful Master a greater period than any other member.
Samuel R. Edgington was born in Richland county, Ohio, in 1827. He was reared on a farm, attended the common schools of his county, and entered an academy with the intention of securing a more thorough education. While here, the war with Mexico broke out, and he enlisted in Company A, of the 3d Ohio Infantry, commanded by Colonel S. R. Curtiss, and served the full term of his enlistment. Being with Taylor's division, students of history will know that active service was performed. On his return home he again entered the academy, but soon after went to Indiana, located his land warrant, and returned to Ohio. This land he subsequently traded for a farm in Ohio, and commenced farming, an occupation he continued until his removal to Iowa. When the War for the Union commenced he was one of the first to enlist, and was elected Captain of Company A, 12th Iowa Infantry. In April, 1862, he was promoted Major of the regiment, and in April, 1863, Lieutenant-Colonel of the same. He was at Fort Henry, Fort Donelson, and at Shiloh. In the last engagement he acted as one of the field officers. He was also at the siege of Vicksburg, and at both the battles of Jackson, Miss. At the first battle, the skirmishers under his command were the first to enter the rebel works. At Pittsburg Landing, the Lieutenant-Colonel and Major of the regiment being ill and disqualified for duty, at the request of Colonel Woods, Captain Edgington acted as field officer. In his report of the battle, Colonel Woods said: "I received two wounds, disabling me for duty. The command then devolved upon Captain Edgington, who was acting as field officer. The enemy had, however, so closely surrounded us, that their balls which missed our men took effect in the ranks beyond us. To have held our position longer, would have been to suffer complete annihilation. The regiment was therefore compelled to surrender as prisoners of war." Colonel Edgington resigned his position in the fall of 1863, returned home, and once more resumed his position among the business men of Eldora. Samuel R. Edgington and Lois Beal were united in marriage in 1849. Mrs. Edginton is a native of Crawford county, Pa. She is the daughter of Samuel Beal. Their family consists of three children -- Melvin L., Samuel R. and Sherman. The first two are partners with the father in the management of the Edgington House, at the present time.
Jesse J. Edgington was, also, born in Richland county, Ohio, in 1831. Before coming West he learned the trade of tailor, a business he has subsequently followed to some extent. In 1854 he came to Eldora, and was admitted a member of the firm of Edgington Brothers. During the first year he was here he carried the mail to and from Marietta to Eldora, making the trip there and back in one day. On one occasion he made the trip on foot in twenty-four hours, having to swim the streams, which were then very high. Mr. Edgington has been prominently identified with the Odd Fellows' Order, and was once Grand Master of the Order in this State. In 1853 he was married to Rebecca Tracey.
DeRoy Ellsworth is the son of Daniel F. Ellsworth, one of the early prominent settlers of Eldora. Daniel F. Ellsworth was born in the State of New York, October 21, 1811. He removed to Potter county, Pa., when a young man, where lived till 1854, the date of his settlement in Hardin county. Houses were scarce at that time, and building material not readily obtained. Soon after his arrival Mr. Ellsworth purchased a piece of land just east of the present village of Eldora, as it contained a log cabin, which afforded the family a shelter till the following spring, when they removed to the village. In the summer of 1855, he built the Ellsworth House, the construction of which was under the supervision of DeRoy. Mr. Ellsworth was prominently connected with the early history of Eldora. He was chiefly instrumental in establishing the mail route between Marietta and Eldora, and thence to Iowa Falls. He afterwards had the contract for carrying the mail over this route. He was postmaster here for several years. He now resides in Eagle Grove, Wright county, Iowa. His first wife was Rhoda L. Babcock, born in the State of New York in the same year that her husband was born. She died in 1860. They had six children, four sons and two daughters, viz: Mrs. S. G. Winchester, DeRoy, Darius F., Mrs. D. E. St. John, D. V., and O. M. The boys were all in the service of the government during the war of the rebellion. DeRoy joined his father, February, 1865, who was then Division Quartermaster in the army of the Potomac, and remained till the close of the war. Darius F. was Quartermaster of a Pennsylvania regiment. D. V. was Second Lieutenant of Company A, 12th Iowa Regiment. O. M. was in the 9th Iowa Cavalry. After the war, DeRoy was engaged in the drug store of S. G. Winchester till 1870. In January, 1871, he formed a co-partnership in the drug business with his brother. Besides his business interests here, he has a store at the thriving village of Hubbard, where he is doing an excellent business. He is an active, energetic and fair dealing business man, and well deserving the patronage so liberally bestowed upon him.
George Emerson resides on section 9. He is engaged in farming, gardening and fruit growing. He began making improvements here in 1869. He and his brother-in-law, James Finleyson, came together. They purchased 80 acres for the purpose of engaging in the nursery business, Mr. Finleyson being a practical nurseryman. They started a nursery in 1871, which for a time was fairly successful. Mr. Finleyson died in 1875; his part of the 80 acres is now owned by Martin Schuyneman. Mr. Emerson has a fine orchard, of from 250 to 300 apple trees; and also cultivates various other fruits. He was born in St. Lawrence county, N. Y., in 1834, and removed to Illinois with his parents in 1846. He lived in Illinois till twenty-three years of age when he came to Iowa. His wife was Margaret Finleyson, who was born in Canada. They have seven children, two sons and five daughters.
Edward Estabrook, one of the prominent farmers and stock raisers of Hardin county, resides on section 6, adjoining the town of Eldora, where he settled in 1874. He is a native of Illinois, and was born in Madison county, that State, in 1822. His father, John Estabrook, was a native of Boston, Massachusetts, and his mother, Nancy (White) Estabrook, a native of North Carolina. His parents came West in 1816, and located at St. Louis, Missouri, where they resided two years, removing from that city to Madison county, Illinois. In 1836, when Edward was but fourteen years of age, the family moved to Wisconsin and entered a large quantity of land. Here his parents resided for two years, and then returned to Illinois to their old homestead, in Madison county, where they lived until their death, in 1881; his father in his eighty-third, and his mother in her eighty-six year. Edward Estabrook, of whom we write, did not accompany his parents on their return to Illinois, but remained in Wisconsin. In 1850, when the California gold excitement was at its height, Mr. Estabrook went to that New Eldorado, and remained one year, returning to Wisconsin and resuming farming, an occupation in which he had been previously engaged. In 1854 the Whig party of Grant county placed him in nomination of the Legislature, to which office he was elected and served one term. At this session of the General Assembly, a prohibitory liquor law was passed, Mr. Estabrook voting for the measure. In politics, Mr. Estabrook was originally a Whig, and being a strong Anti-Slavery man, when the Republican party was organized he became an advocate of the principles enunciated by it. In 1868, Mr. Estabrook came to Iowa, and for one year resided in Marshalltown, and then purchased and moved on to a large farm in Grundy county, where he remained until his removal to Eldora. This farm he yet retains, and is devoting considerable attention to the raising of stock. Mr. Estabrook has been twice married, his first wife being Margaret Mitchell, born in the State of New York. His present wife was Ellen K. Shaw, a native of Maine. He has seven children by his first wife, and one daughter -- Mary Frances -- by his present wife.
Henry F. Follett is a native of New England, born in 1824. When twenty-eight years of age, he removed to Wisconsin, and settled in Waushara county. Mrs. Follett was formerly Miss Cordelia Minor, born in Connecticut. Mr. and Mrs. Follett have two children -- Almeda, wife of Mr. H. Hall, and one son, Hobart. Mr. Follett is not one of the early settlers of Hardin county. He came here in 1876, and purchased the farm of Morris Hughes, who was the original owner of the farm. Mr. Follett is an intelligent gentleman, and a thorough and successful farmer. He has about five hundred acres of land. His residence is on section 15.
L. M. Follett was born at East Berkshire, Vermont, August 10, 1840. In 1855, with his parents, he moved to Richford, Wisconsin. On October 31, 1864, he enlisted in Company C, 44th Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the rebellion. He was honorably discharged August 28, 1865. After a successful business career and a residence of twenty-seven years in Wisconsin, he moved in April, 1882, to Hubbard, Iowa, and in August, following, purchased and moved on to what is known as the "Mason" farm, containing 280 acres, on the west half of section 25, in Eldora township. On the 21st day of April, 1867, he married Ellen F., daughter of N. B. Woodruff, deceased. Mr. Woodruff was formerly a prominent businessman of Richford, Wisconsin. She was born at Kenosha, Wisconsin, September 11, 1847. They have had four children, three of whom are living -- Alta, born at Coloma, Wisconsin, January 8, 1868; Stella, born at Richford, Wisconsin, December 27, 1869, and died, April 19, 1870; Buy, born at Richford, Wisconsin, May 24, 1871; Myrtle, born at Richford, Wisconsin, July 8, 1878. While a resident of Wisconsin Mr. Follett filled various offices of trust. For three years previous to his removal to Iowa, he was Chairman of the Board of Supervisors of his town. The Follett Brothers are intelligent, enterprising and public-spirited men. Their father at one time was a member of the Legislature in Vermont. Their grandfather was a Captain in the war of 1812, a member of the Vermont Legislature eight years, and a Judge. They are descendants of the first Governor of Vermont -- Governor Chittenden -- and first cousins of Judge Follett, of Newark, Ohio, and Hon. John F. Follett, ex-Speaker of the Ohio Legislature, and now Congressman elect of the First Congressional District of Ohio.
Willis A. Fuller, proprietor of the City Hotel, was born in Ontario county, New York, in 1814. He removed when a lad to Genesee county with his parents. His father, Emmons Fuller, was a native of the State of Massachusetts. The family removed from Western New York to Cuyahoga county, Ohio, when Willis A. was about nineteen years of age. Mr. Fuller lived in Cleveland, Ohio for many years, and came to Hardin county in the summer of 1856, and has been a resident of Eldora since that time. In August, 1856, he began keeping the hotel known as the Eastern House, which was a part of what is now the Ellsworth House; he increased that house to its present dimensions, and built the barn in 1857. He owned and kept this house for twelve years, when he sold it to D. F. Ellsworth, from whom it derived its present name. Soon after he sold the Ellsworth House, he came into the possession of his present hotel, then known as the Eldora House, which he kept for three years. He then built the residence now owned by Mr. James Reynolds, which occupies one of the finest locations in the village of Eldora, where he lived for several years. In the fall of 1875, he bought what is now known as the Metropolitan Bakery, Confectionary and Restaurant, which he kept for three years. He then again came into possession of his present hotel. He married Eliza Sanders, born in Virginia, but living in Cleveland, Ohio, where they were married. They have five children -- Ida May, Frank P., Willis K., Minnie May and Edwin S.
John M. Furman, of the firm of Robb & Furman, is a son of Simeon Furman, one of the earliest settler of Eldora. Mr. Simeon Furman was born in Northumberland county, Pa., September 21, 1803, and removed to Tioga county with his parents when a child, where he was brought up. When a young man, he went to Steuben county, N. Y., where he was married to Naomi Babcock, a native of the State of New York. Soon after their marriage they returned to Pennsylvania, and settled in Potter county, where they lived till the fall of 1855, when they came to Hardin county and settled in Eldora, where they have since resided. Mrs. Furman is five years younger than her husand, having been born in 1808. Mr. and Mrs. Furman have had seven children, four of whom are living, viz: N. D., who was born in Tioga county, Pa., in 1835, resides in Eldora; John M., Laura L., wife of Frank Ibach, and Lodentia. The deceased children were: George S., who was drowned in April, 1855; he was about twenty-five years of age; Lorinda and Louisa. The latter was the wife of Calvin Carriel. John M. was born in Potter county, Pa., December 28, 1839. He came here with his parents in 1855. He enlisted in 1862, in the First Iowa Cavalry, and served two years and ten months, being discharged for disability a short time before the war closed. He is a carpenter by trade, and followed that business for a number of years. His wife was Eliza J. Conger, daughter of Jonathon Conger, born September 6, 1844. They have four children -- Eva E., born July 5, 1868; Mark C., born November 9, 1870; Nellie N., born August 25, 1875; and John M., Jr., born November 26, 1881.
Junius A. Furman resides on section 1. He puchased his farm in 1881, of Oscar Callkins. The farm was first settled by C. McClure. Mr. Furman was born in Tioga couty, Pennsylvania, in 1850. He came to Hardin county with his father, in 1862. He has a fine farm, with good improvements, which contains over 200 acres. Mr. Furman married Annie M. Walker, daughter of James F. Walker, an early settler of this township. Mr. and Mrs. Furman have two children -- James and George Irvin.
E. F. Gaines, dealer in groceries, Eldora, came to Eldora in 1871. He engaged as clerk for Mr. I. O. Narum, with whom he continued six or seven years. He then bought out Mr. Narum, and continued the business for two years, when Mr. Narum again purchased the business. He was then engaged for a time in the grain business, and afterwards established the present business of Moir & St. John. He engaged in his present business in June, 1882. Mr. Gaines was born in Otsego, N. Y., December 16, 1837 , where he lived till thirteen years of age, when he removed with his parents to Pike county, Ill. His father, J. W. Gaines, removed from Illinois to Missouri , where he died. Mr. Gaines enlisted in the 16 th Illinois , and served in the army till the close of the war, re-enlisting at the expiration of his first term of service. He participated in not less than thirty-three regular engagements; among them were Forts Henry and Donelson, Stone River, Chickamauga, Atlanta, and was in Sherman's march to the sea. Mrs. Gaines was formerly Carrie F. Fell, born in England . They have two children – Elliot C. and Maggie E.
John N. Gearhart resides on section 34. Mr. Gearhart was an early settler of Iowa . He came to the territory in 1840, and settled near Burlington . He was born in Westmoreland , Pa. , in 1814. He served an apprenticeship to the trade of a tailor, which he followed for many years. He went to Ohio when a young man, where he lived for a time, and thence to Clinton county, Ind. He was married in Indiana to Miss Mary Douglass, born in Butler county, Ohio , December 20, 1820 . As before mentioned, they came to Iowa in 1840. In 1843, Mr. Gearhart, with his family, removed to Jefferson county and settled on a farm, where they lived four years. They then removed to Illinois , and located at Rock Island , where Mr. Gearhart worked at his trade for four years. They then removed to Mercer county and purchased a farm, where they lived for many years. Mr. Gearhart came to Hardin county from Illinois in 1865, and bought the farm, where he now lives, of Mr. Henry Sloan. He resides on section 34. Mr. and Mrs. Gearhart have had eleven children, nine of whom are living, seven sons and four daughters, viz: Mrs. Janet A. Barnard, Mrs. Martha T. Gordon, Mrs. Rebecca Haas, Stephen J., Pennington L., Thomas E., James D., Wellington and Edgar T. Their oldest son, George W., died at the age of eighteen. The other deceased died in early childhood. Mr. Gearhart's farm has 140 acres.
Edwin Gilchrist resides on section 17. Mr. Gilchrist was born in Washington county, N. Y., in 1828, where he was brought up. He came West in 1865, and lived in Minnesota one year, where he was engaged in merchandising and farming, which occupations he had followed before coming West. He came to Hardin county in the spring of 1867, and bought his present farm, where he has since lived. Mrs. Gilchrist was formerly Miss M. Gourlay, born in Scotland. She emigrated to the State of New York when a child. Mr. Gilchrist is engaged quite extensively in dairying.
John Graham resides on section 27. He was born in Madison county, Ill., September 15, 1832. His father was among the earliest settlers of Iowa, having settled in Dubuque county, twelve miles west of the city of Dubuque, in 1834. His name was also John Graham. He resided in Dubuque county till his death, which occurred in 1862. He was a native of Ireland, and came to this country when a young man. He lived several years in St. Louis, Mo., thence to Galena and the city of Dubuque, in the early history of those cities, settling, as before stated, on a farm in Dubuque county. His wife, Sarah (Mason) Graham, was a native of the State of Kentucky. She still lives in Dubuque county. Mr. Graham married Martha Elizabeth Palmer, a daughter of John Palmer, who was a soldier of the Black Hawk War, and an early settler of Dubuque. Mrs. Graham was born in Dubuque, in July 1838. Her father still lives in that city. Mr. Graham settled in Vinton, Benton county, in the spring of 1867. He came to Hardin county in the fall of 1870, and bought his farm of J. W. Brown. Mr. and Mrs. Graham have seven children -- Edmond E., Henry I., Clara B., Fannie A., John P., Charles and Diego G. Mr. Graham's farm contains 167 acres.
Rev. Alpheus Graves came next [Congregational Church, Eldora], and served the Church from October, 1873, till September, 1874. He was an excellent man in every respect; a thorough Christian, and had the respect of the whole community.
William A. Greer, Secretary, Shaver Wagon Manufactory, was born in Mt. Vernon, Ohio, in 1849, and came to Iowa with his parents a few years afterwards. Since six years of age he has been a resident of Hardin county, and in the common schools of the county, the graded school at Iowa Falls, and the Iowa State University, in which institution he went as far as the junior year, his literary education was obtained. After reading law with his father, Allen Greer, for some time, he entered the law department of the Iowa State University, from which institution he graduated in June, 1873. After graduating, he read law with Porter & Moir one year. On the establishment of the Herald in Eldora, he became its editor, which position he filled about six months, when the office was sold to Isaac L. Hart. In 1875, he opened an office in Eldora, and has since been in the practice of law. He is Secretary of the Shaver Wagon Company, of Eldora. In 1875 he was united in marriage with Hannah Olivia Shawhan, whose parents were among the early settlers of Keokuk county, in this State. They have one daughter, Lizzie B., and have lost one son, Frederick W.
J. S. Hadley is a hardware merchant, successor of I. K. Buck. Mr. Hadley owns the pioneer hardware store of Hardin county, the business having been established by Mr. Hulbert. Mr. Hadley was born in Milwaukee , in 1846, where he lived till nine years of age, and then removed to Rock county. He came to Eldora in the Spring of 1868. He learned the tinner's trade of Mr. L. P. Wright. He worked for Mr. L. E. Wright for several years, and was a partner of the latter for four years. He bought his present business of Mr. I. K. Buck, in April, 1878. Mr. Hadley has one of the most complete hardware stores in Hardin county, his stock being extensive and including everything found at a first-class hardware store. Mr. Hadley has also an interest in a hardware store at Hubbard, his partner there being Mr. A. E. Webb. Mr. Hadley is the present Mayor of Eldora. His wife was Miss Jennie, daughter of J. H. Smith.
John Hall, of Eldora, is a native of Massachusetts , where he was born in 1827, and removed with his parents to Vermont when eight years of age. He removed to Wisconsin with his father's family when nineteen years of age. His father, John Hall, settled in Fon du Lac county, where he lived till his death. Mr. Hall lived in Wisconsin about twenty years. He came to Hardin county in 1866, and soon after built a pottery here, which he run for one year, and then engaged in the lumber business, which he followed till 1882, when he sold his interest in the same to E. J. Hauser & Co., Mr. Hauser having been associated with him for several years. Mr. Hall owns a fine farm adjoining the corporate limits of Eldora, and is devoting much attention to the rearing of horses. He makes a specialty of Clydesdale and Norman breeds of horses. He has attained marked success in this branch of business. Mrs. Hall was formerly Miss Mary E. Maxson, a native of Pennsylvania . Their children are, Leoti, wife of Frank M. Thaxter; Charles S., Frank S., John B. and Eddie M.
Otis Hall resides on section 23, where he has lived since the fall of 1868. Mr. Hall was born in Franklin county, Vt., in 1825, where he lived till twenty-one years of age, when he went to Wisconsin; he lived for a time in Fon du Lac county, thence to Waushara county, where he engaged in farming. He spent some of the early years of his residence in Wisconsin in farming. As before stated, he came to Hardin county in 1868. He purchased his farm of John Lyon. Mr. Hall has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Samantha S. Sykes, born in Vermont. She died here in November, 1872. His present wife was Josephine A. Watson, born in the State of New York. Mr. Hall has five children by his first wife, and three by his second wife.
A. C. Harris, proprietor of restaurant, bakery, grocery and confectionery, is a native of Vermont , where he was born in 1845. He was a soldier in the war of the rebellion, having enlisted in the 3d Vermont Infantry, and served a period of three years and ten months. His regiment was attached to the Sixth Corps, and he participated in all the campaigns and battles in which that noted corps was engaged. At the close of the war, he returned to Vermont . He came to Wisconsin in the fall of 1865, and located at Lodi , Columbia county. He came to Eldora in the spring of 1869. He kept the Ellsworth House for two years; was engaged as clerk for I. O. Narum for two years, and established his present business in May, 1878. He was severely wounded in the shoulder at the battle of the Wilderness. Mrs. Harris was formerly Miss Carrie Bernard, born in LaSalle county, Ill.
John B. Henderson resides on section 11. He settled on section 12, in 1856, the year from which his residence in the county dates. He purchased his present farm of J. L. Horner, where he settled in 1880. Mr. Henderson was born in Coshocton county, Ohio, in 1822. His parents emigrated to Illinois when he was ten years of age. They first settled in Vermilion county, in that State, and afterwards removed to Mercer county. Mrs. Henderson was formerly Miss Wealthy Sellers, whose parents settled in Indiana from Ohio, and then to Illinois. They have two children -- Jacob, born in Mercer county, Illinois, and Aggie. Mr. Henderson is the only one of his father's family in the county.
Theophilus S. Hudson, resides on section 1. He was born in Erie county, New York , in 1827. He removed with his parents to Winnebago county, Ill. , in 1846. His father died soon after the family arrived in Illinois . His mother died in this township, March 31, 1871 . Mr. Hudson has always followed the occupation of a farmer. He came to Hardin county in the fall of 1864, and bought his farm of John Carpenter. Mrs. Hudson was formerly Miss Lavinia Kellogg, a daughter of Volna and Betsey (Davis) Kellogg. Mrs. Hudson was born in Canada , and removed to the State of Illinois with her parents when nine years of age. Her parents now live in Franklin county, in this State. Mr. and Mrs. Hudson have four children, viz.: Benoni, Florence E., Nellie F., and Wilbur S. They have lost one daughter. Mrs. Hudson experienced religion when thirteen years of age, and joined the M. E. Church, and is now a member of the church at Eldora.
Mortimer Hulbert resides on section 17, township of Eldora. He was one of the early business men of Eldora, coming here in 1853. He was born in Portage county, Ohio, in 1825. When about twelve years of age, he removed with his parents to Southern Illinois, where he lived till about nineteen years of age, when he returned to Ohio. He learned the trade of a coppersmith at Cleveland; engaged in the hardware business at Ravenna, Ohio. Coming to Hardin county in July, 1853, he immediately established a hardware and tin shop in Eldora, which was the first in Hardin county, making him the pioneer hardware merchant of the county. For several years there was no other hardware store in this vicinity, and the radius of his trade described a large circle of territory. The country was but little developed when Mr. Hulbert began business in Eldora, a truth which may be indicated by the fact that he shot a wolf on the present town plat, in 1853. Mr. Hulbert continued in the hardware business till August, 1872, when he retired from business. In 1878 he removed to a small farm on section 17, which he had purchased for a home. Mrs. Hulbert, formerly Miss Ellen Reed, is a native of Ohio.
Isaac N. Hunter resides on section 33. His father was Joseph Hunter, and his mother is Jane (Sloan) Hunter. Joseph Hunter was born in Westmoreland county, Pa. , where he was brought up. He learned the trade of a watchmaker, and followed that business for forty years. He came to Hardin county in September, 1865, and purchased a farm on section 4, in Union township, of W. A. Sloan, where he resided till his death, which occurred February 17, 1879 . His wife survived her husband, and lives at the homestead. She is a sister of W. A. Sloan, who died September 22, 1880 , at the advanced age of eighty-three years. Mrs. Hunter has three sons – J. S., J. L. and Isaac N. The latter was born in Butler county, Pa. , in 1840. His farm was formerly that of his uncle, Mr. W. A. Sloan, who purchased it of Joshua Drury. His wife was formerly Miss Paulina F. Winter, of Pennsylvania . Mr. and Mrs. Hunter have two children – Hannah C. and Ernest G. Mr. Hunter's farm contains 100 acres.
Benjamin F. Ibach resides on section 25. He was born in Lancaster county, Pa., in 1836. His father, Gotleib Ibach, was a native of Germany. He emigrated from Germany to Pennsylvania, and thence to Ohio, and settled in what was then Richland county, now Morrow county. Mr. B. F. Ibach came to Hardin county about 1857. His home has been in Eldora township since that time. he enlisted in 1861 in the 12th Iowa Infantry, and served till December, 1864. He was at Fort Donelson; was taken prisoner at Shiloh; was exchanged after several months; was at the sieges of Vicksburg, Jackson, Miss., etc. He was married to Laura Furman, daughter of Simeon Furman. Mr. and Mrs. Ibach have five children -- James D., George, Albert S., Orpha and Ralph R. Mr. Ibach owns a farm, which contains 120 acres.
Henry Jackson, of Eldora, is a native of Ireland, where he was born in 1835. He came to the United States with his parents when about fourteen years of age. His father settled in Greene county, Wis. Previous to settling in this county, Mr. Jackson spent several years in the mountains of the far West. He came to this county in 1868 and bought a farm, which he still owns. Mr. Jackson devotes considerable attention to the breeding and raising of fine horses, of which he has quite a number. His wife was formerly Miss Mary E. Hedrick.
W. A. Snodgrass was the first photograph artist in Eldora, and probably in Hardin county. He opened a gallery here in 1862.
Frank Kirby is now the leading artist in the place. Many of the engravings in this work are from photographs by Mr. Kirby. Mr. Kirby began business here in 1874, buying out Mr. Peter Datesman, who established the business in 1872. Mr. Kirby is a native of Middleton, Orange county, N. Y., where he was born in 1850. He learned the business of photographing at Carbondale City, Pa. He came to Marshalltown, Iowa, in 1867, where he was engaged in the photograph business with his brother, L. Z. Kirby, now deceased; and, as before stated, came here in 1874. Mr. Kirby does a general photograph business, and is a skillful artist. His wife was Frances A. Steele. Her father was an early settler of Marshalltown.
Rev. James R. Knodell, the present pastor [of the Congregational Church at Eldora], began his labors here in May, 1879, and was duly ordained and installed as pastor in June following. He is spoken of as an “earnest speaker, full of devotion and fire, a close student, terse and keen as a writer, and a clear and interesting speaker.”
Rev. James R. Knodell, Paster of the Congregational Church at Eldora, is a native of Nova Scotia , where he was born in 1850. He received his literary education in Nova Scotia , and was engaged for several years in teaching. In the spring of 1872 he went to Chippawa Falls , Wis. , where he worked at the business of carpentering for about three years. Mr. Knodell had long had the Ministry in view, in fact, his mother had always intended that her boy should become a Minister of the Gospel. His father died when he was but eleven years of age. As soon as circumstances would permit, or in September, 1875, he went to Chicago , and entered the Theological Seminary of the Congregational Church, in that city, where he remained four years, one year more than is required in the regular course. During the last two years of his attendance at the Seminary he had charge of Clinton Street Congregational Church. He assumed his present charge in the spring of 1879. His wife was Miss Sarah C. Bollong, born in Nova Scotia .
George Lane resides on section 32, Eldora township. He is one of the early settlers of the township. He came here first in September, 1853, and made a permanent settlement in 1854, purchasing his farm of the government. He was born in Tennessee; his parents were natives of Virginia. His father, Thomas Lane, moved with his family from Tennessee to Vermilion county, Illinois, when George was two years of age. Thomas Lane came to Hardin county, in April, 1855, and settled in Union township, on section 5, where the village of Gifford now is. In 1857 he settled in Eldora township, where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1866. His wife died in 1876. Mr. George Lane married Miss Lillie Walker, a daughter of Samuel Walker, who settled in Eldora township in 1856. Mr. and Mrs. Lane have four children -- Annie, now Mrs. Frazier Golden, Frankie, Effie and George.
Mr. Lane's farm contains two hundred and forty acres of land; two hundred of which he got from the government.
Robert Lane, son of Thomas Lane, and father of George Lane, resides on section 34. He was born in Vermilion county, Illinois, in 1840. He came to Hardin county with his father, who lived for many years on section 27 in this township. Robert lived at the homestead till he settled where he now lives, in April, 1877. He bought his farm of Mr. P. Betts, who was the original settler on the place. Mrs. Lane was formerly Mary S. Hunter, a daughter of James Hunter. They have eight children, two sons and six daughters -- Laura, Ninie, Maud, Warren G., Franklin, Bertha, Nellie, Nettie and an infant girl. His farm has 100 acres.
Corwin M. Lee, dealer in farm implements, is a native of Indiana, having been born in the town of Williamsburg, Wayne county, in that State, in 1833. He removed to Iowa City, with his father, in 1840. His father, Fernando H. Lee, was one of the prominent early settlers of Johnson county. He was at one time Mayor of Iowa City, and filled the office of County Judge of Johnson county. He was a lawyer by profession, and a native of the State of New York. At the time of his death, spring of 1878, he resided at Evansville, Ind. He had four sons and one daughter, viz.: Corwin M., Vernon G., Charles N., and Oscar B., who was killed at the battle of Cedar Creek, in the war of the rebellion. The daughter was Laura M., who died at Iowa City. Corwin M. enlisted in an independent company of Sioux City Cavalry, and served on the frontier during three years of the war of the rebellion. Mr. Lee was engaged in the pump business here for several years. His mother, Mrs. Martha Z. (Newhall) Lee, lives with her son, C. M. Lee.
Samuel Martin resides on section 23. He was born in County Derry, Ireland, in 1826. He emigrated with his father's family to Philadelphia in 1846. His mother's name was Ann (McCracken) Martin. They removed to Ohio from Philadelphia, thence to Wisconsin, and finally settled in Henry county, Ill., where they resided till their death. Mr. Martin was married in Philadelphia to Catherine Walker, a sister of Wm. Walker. They came to Hardin county, Iowa, from Henry county, Ill., at the time Mr. Walker came, in 1856. Mr. Martin first settled on section 24. He settler where he now lives, on section 23, in the spring of 1865. Mr. and Mrs. martin have five children, viz: Wallace H., Harry S., William J., Charles H. and Effie A. Mr. martin's farm contains 200 acres.
Mr. Peter Mason had seven children, four sons and three daughters. The sons are living, the daughters died in Indiana. The children are, Henry, who lives in section 25, Philip and Leonard in Kansas, and Samuel. Samuel married Mary F. Hughes, daughter of M.H. Hughes, an early settler of this township, now living in Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. Mason have two children - Martha R. and Vesta. They lost two children - Samuel O. and Mary E. Mr. Masons farm contains 100 acres. Samuel Masons father, Peter Mason, was one of the early settlers of Eldora township, having come here June 15, 1854. He was born in Culpepper county, Virginia, in 1802, and removed to Ohio with his parents, when about eight years of age, and settled in Logan county in that State. His wife was Mary Husaw, born in Ohio. His general business was farming, though in his younger life he was otherwise engaged; was for several years engaged in flouring mills in Ohio and also in Indiana. He came to Hardin county from Indiana, in 1854, and settled on section 21, in Eldora township, where he lived about six years.
Rev. Smith McCall, pastor of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Eldora township, was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, February 1, 1839. He resided in Pennsylvania until he removed to Illinois in 1854, and then to Iowa, in 1872. His first charge was in Appanoose county in this State. He came to Hardin county in the fall of 1875, and has since had charge of his present church. His wife was Elvira E. Hunt, born in Marshall county, Illinois. They have three children -- Bertie B., William and Alice.
Alexander W. McDonald is a settler of 1855. He was born in Richland county, Ohio, in 1832. He was brought up in Ohio; married Lucy Stage, who was born in Seneca county, Ohio. They came to Hardin county in October, 1855, and settled in the village of Eldora, and ingaged in farming. Mr. McDonald owns a farm adjoining the village of Eldora, on the east. Mr. and Mrs. McDonald have two children -- Mary and George W.
George McElroy is a native of County Monnaghan, Ireland; born about 1805. He was born while George III was still on the throne of England. His parents were William and Margaret (Dodds) McElroy. Mr. McElroy was brought up to the business of farming. He emigrated to this country in 1827, reaching Philadelphia, having been seven weeks in crossing the Atlantic. He engaged in the marble trade in Philadelphia, to Margaret Sproull; born in 1824, in the same county as her husband. She emigrated to Philadelphia with her father, when sixteen years of age. Her father was George Sproull. Her mother, Elizabeth (Boyd) Sproull, died in Ireland. Her father lived in Philadelphia until his death. Mr. McElroy came to Hardin county in August, 1856, and bought land for a farm in the town of Eldora; his family came the following year. They lived on this farm for fifteen years, when they removed to the village of Eldora, where they have since lived. Mr. and Mrs. McElroy have four children -- George A., born May 31, 1846, married Sarah Hartman; James G., born September 22, 1848, married Miss F. Westphall; Robert W., born July 10, 1851, married Miss Maggie Hewitt; Jennie E., born September 29, 1853, now Mrs. David Wills. Mr. and Mrs. McElroy belong to the Presbyterian Church.
Allen Meader was born in Ellsworth, Me., October 18, 1840. He is the son of Allen and Sarah (Copp) Meader. He remained at home until the breaking out of the war, learning the blacksmith's trade. In 1862 he enlisted in the 26th Maine Regiment, and was afterward a member of the 1st Brigade Band of Abercrombie's Division. He was honorably discharged at Portland, Me., in October, 1863. In 1865 he came to Eldora, and began working at his trade, and in 1870 took in as a partner James Bachman, who remained some time, since which time a brother-in-law, M. Watts, has been connected with him in business. In politics Mr. Meader has taken quite an active interest, and is now a member of the City Council, and one of the Township Trustees, and a member of the School Board. He was united in marriage in 1865 to Calista W. Watts, a native of Ellsworth, Me. Their children are, Sadie S. and Fred W.
The Eldora Flouring Mills, now owned by Messrs. S. G. Copp & D. G. Meader, have four run of burrs. The size of the mill is 36 by 40 feet, and the capacity 250 bushels of wheat per day of 24 hours. The mill was built by Brown & Temple, in 1867. Mr. E. K. Brown, the builder of the mill, owned and operated it till 1875, when he sold to Mr. Copp.
Mr. Copp is a native of Maine. He settled early in Grundy county, locating at what is now Grundy Center, in 1855. He purchased this mill in 1875.
Mr. D. G. Meader, who owns one-half interest in the mill, was born in the town of Ellsworth, Hancock county, Maine, in 1836. He learned the trade of a cabinetmaker, and followed that business for many years. He came to Eldora in February, 1864, and was engaged in the cabinet-making business for three years. He has been connected with the mill for several years, and purchased one-half interest in the same in the spring of 1864. He married Miss Aggie C. Copp, a daughter of T. G. Copp. Mrs. Meader was born in Boston, Mass. They have four children, viz: George Willoughby, Harry, Thomas and Jessie May. They lost two daughters -- Hattie and Maggie.
J. C. Moorman, general merchant, established business in November, 1867. Mr. Moorman was born in Greene county, Ohio, in 1826. He remained on a farm till twenty-one years of age, and has been in the mercantile business since that time. He began as a clerk at Leesburg, Ohio. He remained in Ohio for a number of years after he became of age, and then went to Peru, Miami county, Ind., where he clerked for about one and one-half years. He went to Iowa City in April, 1856, where he engaged in business. He came here in 1867. He first engaged in business in a small frame building on the north side of the square, and the next year erected a frame building where the postoffice now stands, and was burned out in 1868. He now has a fine store on the west side of the public square, and is doing a fine business. He has also a store at the village of Hubbard, in this county. His wife was formerly Elizabeth Miller, a daughter of Samuel Miller, one of the early settlers of Clinton county, Ohio. His father, James Moorman, was a native of Virginia, and one of the early settlers of Green county, Ohio. He is still living, at the age of ninety-one years, having been born in 1791. Mr. and Mrs. Moorman have three children -- Lucy, now Mrs. T. McDonald, of Minnesota; J. Clinton and Jessie.
Iver O. Narum is a native of Norway and was born in September, 1825. He came to the United States in 1844, landing in New York, after a stormy passage, being eight weeks and four days crossing the Atlantic. He located in Rock county, Wisconsin. In 1855 he went to LaCrosse, where he staid one years, and then with other parties started the town of LaCressent, opposite to LaCrosse, in Minnesota. He lived at LaCressent till 1865, when he came to Eldora, and established his present business. In November, 1875, Mr. Narum met with a severe loss, by the burning of his store and goods. He rebuilt his store in 1879. Mr. Narum is a successful business man, and a worthy citizen. He has been twice married; his first wife was Fannie Goodge, a native of New York, by whom he had one son, who died at LaCressent. His present wife was Wilhelmena Granzow, a native of Germany.
F. A. Norris, printer, bookseller and stationer, is the son of M. D. Norris, who is a native of Ashtabula county, Ohio, and came to Eldora with his family in 1864. He was a cabinet maker by trade, but was engaged, while here, quite extensively in gardening, supplying this market with vegetables during the summer season. He was also employed at the court house as clerk for several years. In 1876 he removed to Cleveland, Ohio. F. A. Norris was born at West Point, N. Y., September 23, 1851. He lived at home till about 1869. He was engaged as book-keeper for B. F. Butterfield, from them to Clark & Mooney, and to Clark & Herron for about seven years. He has in connection with his book store a job printing office. In the last mentioned branch of his business he has had considerable experience. He does excellent work, and is having a good foreign and local trade. His wife was Miss Orpha Dysinger, daughter of N. Dysinger. They have four children: Charlie, Nellie, Katie, and an infant.
Ezra Nuckolls, jeweler, is a native Hawkeye, and was born January 5, 1843 , in Linn county, three years before Iowa became a State. His father, James Nuckolls, was born in Kentucky , and was the son of a slave-holder, and inherited a number of slaves. Believing the institution of slavery a wrong, he emancipated his slaves, and, with his brother Ezra, removed to Indiana , where he became acquainted and married Mary Ann Barclay, of Scotch descent, her grandfather being one of the soldiers who attempted, by order of George III, to make the American colonies submissive to the royal will of his majesty. Her father, on the other hand, fought in the War of 1812, on the American side. About two years after their marriage, they emigrated to the Territory of Iowa , arriving here in September, 1842. Mrs. Nuckolls died in 1846, and her husband, the father of Ezra, in 1854. After his father's death, Ezra, then but eleven years of age, had to provide for himself. For about two years he worked upon a farm, when he then engaged to learn the trade of a carpenter, which he followed for nine months. Not liking the trade, in September, 1857, he entered a jeweler's store in Animosa, Jones county, Iowa , to learn the jeweler's trade. This suited him, and he became a No. 1 jeweler. When the war broke out in 1861, he was working as a journeyman for his old employer, and receiving highly remunerative wages. On the 16 th day of July, 1861, he enlisted in Co. D., 9 th Iowa Infantry. On the organization of the company, he was appointed Corporal, and, March 8, 1862, while engaged in the battle of Pea Ridge, he was promoted Second Sergeant, serving in that capacity until the beginning of the Vicksburg campaign, where, on the 15 th of March, 1863, he was promoted to Second Lieutenant. While on the Atlanta campaign, he received an appointment on the staff of Gen. James A. Williamson, serving in that capacity until he received his discharge, October 2d, 1864 . Lieut. Nuckoll's term of service expired during the Atlanta campaign, but on account of the exigency of the service, he decided to remain until the close of that campaign, which was entirely optional with him. The Lieutenant participated in many of the hard-fought battles of the war, including Pea Ridge, Vicksburg , Atlanta , Lookout Mountain , etc.
In April, 1865, Mr. Nuckolls located in Eldora, and established his present business, and in which he has met with good success. On the 26 th day of October, 1868, he was united in marriage with Leona C. Eastman, daughter of Gov. E. W. Eastman, who was born in Burlington , Iowa , in 1846. Five children have blessed this union – Howard Eastman (now deceased), Edward W., James, Susie, and Richard F.
John Perkins is an Englishman by birth, being born in Ripley, Derbyshire, October 21, 1827. His parents being John and Sarah (Platts) Perkins. At the age of fifteen years he commenced work at the shoemakers trade, at which he was to serve as an apprentice until he reached his majority; but, after serving three years, his employer died, and Mr. Perkins therefore commenced to do for himself. In 1849, the family came to the United States, and soon located in Stephenson county, Ill. Here Mr. Perkins continued his trade until 1855, he then emigrated to Iowa, and lived a short time in Blackhawk county, but in the same year he came to Hardin county, and settled at Eldora, where he pursued his trade until 1862. He then settled on his present farm, and has since been a tiller of the soil. Mr. Perkins has been quite successful in life. He now owns over 530 acres of land, and his improvements are among the best. He is honest and industrious, and highly respected as a citizen. He took out his naturalization papers soon after coming to the United States, and cast his first ballot in 1856. His politics are Republican, and his religious connections are with the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Perkins as been twice married. In 1847 to Miss Harriet Parkins. She died in 1854, leaving two children: Sarah E., now Mrs. Joseph Ansel, and Ferdinand. In 1856, June 14th, he married Mrs. Sarah Platts nee Parks, and by this union have had eight children, seven of whom are now living: Minnie, John W., Addie E., now Mrs. A. Hayden, Edwin, Oscar E., Granville and Eleanora, and by her former marriage she has two children: James T. and Henry A. Platts.
The Central Iowa Railway was completed to Eldora in 1868. The present freight and ticket agent at this point is A. B. Plough. Mr. Plough was born at Ithica, N. Y., in 1849. He came to Grinnell, Iowa, in 1869, and began railroading in 1871, at Albia, as station agent. He was there till 1873, when he went to Eddyville and Eddyville Transfer, thence to New York City, where he stayed three years. He came to Eldora in June, 1877. His wife was Ella Skilton, born in Troy, N. Y.
William H. Pool was born in Richland county, Ohio, in 1825, where he was brought up. He worked on a farm until eighteen years of age, when he began learning the trade of a carpenter and joiner. He came to Hardin county in May, 1856, with Mr. Joseph Edgington. His home has been in Eldora since that time. He was engaged in the business of carpentering for many years; was Deputy Treasurer of Hardin county for several years, but again resumed work at his trade, which he still follows. Mr. Pool has been twice married; his first wife was Bertha E. Lewis, a native of Ohio. Mrs. Pool died while on a visit to her friends in Ohio. His present wife was Mrs. Betsy J. (Wells) Mosier, who was born in the State of New York. Mr. Pool has four children by his first marriage -- William T., Bertha E., Belle and Jennie May.
James Reynolds, carpenter and builder, is a native of the State of Pennsylvania, having been born in the town of Brownsville, Fayette county, in that State, September 5, 1823. He removed to Brookville, Franklin county, Ind., with his parents in 1841. His parents were Joseph and Jane (Moffitt) Reynolds. His father died in Indiana in 1864, at the age of 71 years. His mother died June 3, 1882, at the advanced age of 87 years. In 1855 James Reynolds came to Grundy county, Iowa, and bought land, on which the family located the following year, but his father's family returned almost immediately to Indiana, James alone remaining. He worked at his trade, in Grundy county, till the fall of that year, when he came to Eldora, and has resided here since. He has followed the business of carpentering and building the greater part of his life, and has had charge of the construction of many of the principal buildings of Eldora. My Reynolds is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Eldora, and probably, no man did more than he to establish and sustain that church in its early struggles for existence in Eldora. He has been a member of the M. E. Church since February 17, 1841. Mrs. Reynolds was born in Brookville, Franklin county, Ind., December 27, 1828. Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds have three children: Mary, Kate P. and Susie Maud. They lost their three first children, one son and two daughters: Elizabeth C., born December 12, 1854, died December 3, 1863; Ella J., born March 1, 1857, died November 28, 1863; James Edwin, born August 12, 1859, and died May 5, 1860.
J. L. Ridgeway, proprietor of "Farmers' Hotel," Grocery and Restaurant, was born in Springfield, Ill., August 30, 1837. he was brought up at Macomb, McDonough county, in that State. He was brought up to the business of farming. He served in the army for a short time, enlisting for three months at the beginning of the war. He removed to Buchanan county, in Iowa, in 1866. He came to Eldora in 1869, and has been engaged in his present business since that time. Mr. Ridgeway learned the business of a photographer at Macomb, and followed that business for two years. His wife was Miss Mary A. Bailey. Her father was John M. Bailey, an early settler of McDonough county, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Ridgeway have five children -- Mary J., Frank H., Annie May, Maggie E. and Willie B.
Dr. G. H. Ritenour, dentist, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Greene county, in that State, in 1853. He went to Pittsburg when twelve years of age. He followed steamboating on the Ohio and Missouri rivers for many years, from cabin boy to Master, holding a United States Inspector's certificate as Master of a steamer. He began the study of dentistry when twenty-one years of age, at Pittsburg, and came to Iowa in July, 1879, stopping at Charles City, and remaining about nine months, when he located at Eldora, in May, 1880, succeeding Dr. George Gibson. His wife was Agnes Burdette, of Muscatine, Iowa.
B. D. Robb, of the firm of Robb & Furman, was born in Cuyahoga county, Ohio, near Cleveland, in 1840. He removed to Branch county, Mich., with his parents, where his father died in July, 1863. Mr. Robb came to Eldora in the fall of 1864. His mother, Levina (Teachout) Robb, had been married previous to her marriage with the father of Mr. Robb, and had four children by her first marriage. B. D. was her only child by her second marriage. She died in 1875. Mr. Robb learned the trade of a carpenter here, which he followed for many years. He was married in the spring of 1865 to Mary J. Parker, daughter of Judge Ellis Parker. Mr. and Mrs. Robb have three children -- Ellis, born in June, 1869; L. Maud, born in October, 1875; and Earl P., born in March, 1879.
Linus N. Sayre, son of Calvin M. and Ludema L. (Baker) Sayre, was born in Rock Island county, Ill. , April 10, 1847 . His father was born in Logan county, Ohio , December 20, 1825 , and his mother in Champaign county, Ohio , November 10, 1826 . They were married in 1846, in Rock Island county, Ill. , where they remained until 1859, when they moved to Hardin county, arriving here on the 11 th day of September. They settled in Providence township, where Mr. Sayre had a half section of wild prairie land, and which he at once began to improve. He remained on this farm until 1862, when he removed his family to Eldora, and enlisted in Company F, 32d Iowa Infantry. He died in the service at Little Rock , Ark. , October 20, 1863 . His wife died at Eldora, August 18, 1876 . They had four children, of which Linus N., the subject of this sketch, was the oldest, and is the only one now living. He came with his parents to Hardin county, and lived with them upon the farm. On the death of his father, he returned with his mother to the farm, where he remained four years. He then came to Eldora and engaged in various lines of business, principally carpentering and butchering. In 1868 he commenced in the latter business, in which he has continued, save four years between 1873 and 1877. The educational advantages secured by Mr. Sayre were in the common schools of Rock Island county, Ill., Hardin county, Iowa, and two terms in the Albion Seminary. Mr. Sayre was united in marriage with Mary L., daughter of Joseph Race, November 9, 1872 . They have had four children, three of whom are now living – Mary L., Robert and Annie. Mr. Sayre has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for twenty-one years, and has taken quite an active part in Church affairs. He is at present Superintendent of the Methodist Episcopal Sunday School in Eldora. He is also a member of the Masons, United Workmen and Knights of Honor, holding membership in the ledges of these bodies in Eldora.
L. L. Scott, barber and hair dresser, came to Eldora in 1869. He was born in Medina county, Ohio, in 1848. Mr. Scott learned his trade in Ohio. He is an excellent workman, and a gentleman much respected in the community in which he lives. His wife was Miss Rebecca Rumbaugh, a daughter of one of the early settlers of Clay township. Her father came to Hardin county from Ohio. Mrs. Scott was born in Clay township July 28, 1855. Mr. and Mrs. Scott have two sons: William and Melvin.
William T. Shaver, the present Treasurer of The Shaver Wagon Company, was born July 4, 1850, in Dundas county, Canada. In 1864 he went to St. Lawrence county, New York, where he learned the trade of wagon maker, and in 1868 came to Dubuque, Iowa, where he remained one year, coming to Eldora in 1869. In 1874 he was united in marriage with Rosa Dodge, of Eldora. Mrs. Shaver died in November, 1875. William T. Shaver is a man of great energy, who allows no obstacle to deter him from the accomplishment of any work he sets out to perform. He is one of that kind that helps to build up a place, and never to retard its growth.
Rev. Peter B. Shiere succeeded Mr. Boynton [Congregational Church, Eldora], but only remained about two months, as a supply. He was a well educated man, a graduate of Hartford College and Hartford Theological Seminary. His stay in Eldora was not of sufficient length to properly estimate his abilities.
Rev. J. K. Shiffer, the present Pastor of the [Methodist Episcopal] Church, is a native of Pennsylvania. He was educated in, and graduated from Dickinson College, in 1873. In 1879 he came to Iowa, and was first stationed at Charlotte, Clinton county, where he remained one year. He was then sent to Oxford Mills, and from there to Eldora in 1881.
Levi W. Southard resides on Section 24, where he has lived since 1863. Mr. Southard is one of the earliest and best known settlers of Hardin county. He was born in Surry county, North Carolina, July 30, 1813, where he was brought up. He was married in 1838, to Keziah Reece, born in Surry county, April 26, 1817. Mr. Southard was brought up to the business of farming, and also learned the trade of a blacksmith. In 1851, Mr. Southard, with his family and others, altogether forming a company of forty-four persons, emigrated from their native State, North Carolina, to Hardin county, Iowa. Mr. Southard's family composed ten of the company, they having eight children at that time. The distance traveled was about 1,200 miles. The entire distance was made with teams, and the time required for the journey was about two months. Mr. Southard made a settlement about two miles west of Hardin City, and the same distance north of Berlin. They arrived on the 22d of August. The first white girl born in the county was their daughter -- Mattie A. She was born November 22, 1851. She became the wife of Mr. Otis Hall, and died March 24, 1880. Mr. and Mrs. Southard have had thirteen children, eleven of whom were daughters. Nine daughters and their two sons are living, viz: Nancy M., now Mrs. A. G. Barnum; Sarah E., wife of M. S. Ayres; Wm. R., in Nebraska; Mary, now Mrs. D. R. Washburn; Abraham M., in Denver City; Hannah E., wife of Henry Hughes; Celia B., wife of Justin Wells; Huldah; Phoebe K., now Mrs. A. W. Putnam; Clarinda M., and Dora M., wife of Otis Hall. Children deceased were: Eliza C., wife of R. G. Orcott, and Mattie A., wife of Otis Hall. Wm. R. served three years in the war of the rebellion, in the 32nd Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry. Mr. Southard was Assessor of the north half of the county when the county was composed of two townships. He was also the first Justice of the Peace of Morgan township, and was justice for many years.
Colonel George Staley, general merchant, established business here in 1869. He built a store on Washington street, now occupied as a furniture store. He built his present store in 1878. Colonel Staley was born in Schenectady, New York. His father died when he was a child. He went to Galena, Ill., as early as 1842, and engaged in mining. From Galena he went to New Orleans. During the gold excitement on the Pacific Coast, Colonel Staley joined in the overland journey to the land of gold. He returned from California in 1854, and located at La Crosse, Wis., where he engaged in the stock business; also served as Deputy Sheriff, in the Spring of 1860. In the fall of 1861, he assisted in organizing a company at La Crosse. He was made a Lieutenant of this company. This company was made a part of the 14th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. Colonel Staley was made Captain of the company in June, 1862. He participated in many hard fought battles, including Shiloh, Corinth, Iuka, etc. At the battle of Shiloh his company captured a cannon from the Washington battery, of New Orleans. This cannon is among the trophies of the war, at Madison, on which is seen his name and date of capture. At the close of the war he returned to La Crosse, and thence to Austin, Minn., where he engaged in business, coming here in 1869. His wife was Julia Beardsley, born in Chenango county, N. Y. They have no children, living; they had four, all of whom died at La Crosse.
Franklin B. Stout is a settler of 1852. He resides on section 3, in the town of Eldora. He was born in Franklin county, Indiana, November 29, 1814. At that time Indiana was the "far West," the outer verge of civilization. Mr. Stout was brought up in Indiana. He married Miss Julia Ann Ewing, who was born in Indiana in 1815. After their marriage they lived in Fountain county for nineteen years, coming to Hardin county August 6, 1852. Mr. Stout purchased his farm of the Government. His wife died in December, 1871. Mr. Stout has had nine children, seven of whom, three sons and four daughters, are living, viz.: Mrs. Mary E. Boyle, Mrs. Sarena Millslagle, Margaret, and Susan, wife of Jasper McMillan. The sons are: I. N., George F., and Abner. His oldest son, William L., enlisted in the 12th Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and died in the service. He lost a daughter, Levina, in childhood. Mr. Stout, as was his wife, is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
S. W. Tash, of Xenia, is a native of Rockingham county, New Hampshire, where he was born in 1827. He removed when a boy, to Genesee county, New York, where he lived eight or nine years. He then returned to New Hampshire. He came to Iowa in January, 1864. Mr. Tash owns the flouring mill, and most of what pertains to the village of Xenia. He has about seven hundred acres of land, including most of the village. The mill was built by Mr. G. M. Woodbury in 1856; it originally had two run of burrs; has now three. The mill cost about $10,000. It was remodeled by Mr. Tash in 1880, at a cost of about $2,000. Mr. Tash has always been engaged in farming, and is one of the prominent farmers and stock raisers of the county.
J. R. Thornton was born in Courtland county, N. Y., in 1819, where he lived till he was sixteen years of age. He then removed to Onondaga county, and lived with an older brother till he was twenty-one years old. He then went to Trumbull county, Ohio. He was married in Hardin county, in that State, to Harriet Hubbard, daughter of Phieldon Hubbard, who settled in Ohio, from the State of Virginia. Mr. Thornton removed from Ohio to Champaign county, Ill. They lived here two years, and then removed to Marshall county, Iowa, in 1854, and settled in Vienna township, where he lived about fifteen years, when he came to Hardin county, and settled on his present farm, which he bought of David Sellers. His farm contains 208 acres.
Benjamin F. Tilton, one of the earlier settlers of Eldora township, resides on section 1. He was born in the town of Danville, Caledonia county, Vt., August 22, 1804. When five years of age, he removed with his parents, David and Sarah (Foster) Tilton, to Canada, where he lived till 18 years of age, when his parents removed to Franklin county, N. Y. His parents lived in Franklin county till their death. Mr. Benjamin Tilton lived in Franklin county about ten years, when he removed to St. Lawrence county, where he lived four years. He has been married twice. His first wife was Mary A. Garfield, who died in Pottsdam, St. Lawrence county. His second wife was Levina Hayford, born in the State of New York. He has five children by his first wife, three of whom are living, viz: Kate M., Carrie M. and Julia. He has one daughter by his second wife -- Frances E. Two of his daughters -- Kate and Julia -- live in Beloit, Wis. Carrie M. is a clerk in the Treasury Department, at Washington. The youngest resides at home, and is by profession a teacher. His daughters are unmarried. Mr. Tilton's farm contains 80 acres.
Henry Tolman came to Eldora in 1864, and with Mr. John Hall built the stone pottery now owned by Mr. Sweet. He owned an interest in that pottery for about twelve years. He was born in Londondery, Vt., August 13, 1809, but his parents removed to the State of New Hampshire when he was an infant, where he was brought up. He removed to Massachusetts when a young man. Mr. Tolman learned the trade of a potter in his youth. In Massachusetts he established and carried on extensive terra cotta works. His works were probably the first of the kind in the United States. They were located at Worcester, and were established about 1845. In 1855 Mr. Tolman removed to Wisconsin, and after a few months he removed to Wautoma, and thence to Berlin, where he built a pottery, and lived for several years. As before stated, he came to Eldora in 1864. Mrs. Tolman was formerly Miss Harriet M. Rhoades, born in Amherst, N. J., in 1813. Mr. and Mrs. Tolman have five children: Charles W., Alfred R., Sarah, now Mrs. Ira Goodwin; Josephine, wife of William Sherwood, of Cedar Falls; and George H. Their second son, James M., was an Orderly Sergeant of a company in the 18th Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and was mortally wounded at the battle of Jackson, Miss., May 14, 1864, and died on the 17th, following. He was a gallant soldier. Mr. and Mrs. Tolman are members of the Baptist Church, and have been prominently identified with that denomination for many years.
Garrett Van Voorhes has leased the interest of Mr. Copp in the Eldora Flouring Mills. He is a practical and experience miller. He was born in Duchess county, New York, in 1826. He learned the trade of a miller in his youth. He came to Iowa in the spring of 1853, and located at Delhi, Delaware county, and engaged in milling. From Delhi he went to Davenport, where he remained about two years. He had charge of a mill at Oxford, Jones county, for a time, and thence to Cedar Rapids, thence to Indiantown, Tama county, where he remained five years, thence to Union, Hardin county, October, 1870, where he took charge of the Union Mill, at that place; he came to Eldora in March, 1882, having leased the interest of Mr. Copp in the mill. His wife was Miss Charlotte Smart, born in St. Lawrence county New York. She died in the town of Union. Mr. Van Voorhes has two sons: Walter L., and William R.
Wm. Walker is numbered with the settlers of 1856. His father was Samuel Walker, born in the North of Ireland about 1798. His mother was Elizabeth (Charleton) Walker. She emigrated to the United States, and settled in Philadelphia in 1838. The family resided in Philadelphia till 1849, when they removed to Illinois, and came to Hardin county in 1856. Mr. Samuel Walker died in 1867. His wife still lives, at the advanced age of eighty-seven years, having been born in 1796. The parents of Mr. Walker had nine children when they came to Iowa, all of whom came here with them, excepting one daughter, who remained in Illinois. William and three sisters continue to reside in Hardin county; the others live elsewhere. Mr. Walker was married in Philadelphia to Miss Sarah J. Blackwood, born in County Tyrone, Ireland. Mrs. Walker came to his country with an older sister, and located in Philadelphia. Mr. and Mrs. Walker have nine children, viz: Josephine P., Elizabeth S., Wm. W., Maggie, Samuel R., Kate, John, Annie and Frank. Mr. Walker resides on section 22. He formerly lived on section 24. He has over 400 acres of land. He is one of the sturdy, substantial men who have done much to make Hardin county take her place in the front rank of the counties of Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Walker are members of the Baptist Church, and were intimately connected with the early history of that Church in Hardin county.
Benjamin Walton is a settler of 1854. He resides on section 36. He was born in Indiana, in 1818, where he was brought up. Before coming to Hardin county, he lived for about six years in Rock Island county, Illinois. He came to Hardin county in 1854, and settled where he now lives, in 1855. His wife is also a native of Indiana. They have six children -- Morgan, Truman, Riley, George, Elijah and Amanda. His farm contains 80 acres. He removed to section 25, where he lived till his death, which occurred, June 11, 1878. His widow still lives at the homestead.
August Wentworth of Xenia, was a settler of 1856. He was born in Middlesex county, Massachusetts, April 29, 1835. His father, Daniel Wentworth, was born in New Hampshire, his mother Susan (Pingrey) Wentworth was a native of Massachusetts. The family removed to Kane county, Illinois, in 1841. Mr. Wentworth's parents went to California in 1850, and located at Stockton, in that State, where he still lived when last heard from. Mr. Wentworth came to Hardin county from Dupage county, Illinois, in November, 1856, and settled in Union township, where he lived until 1860, when he removed to Grundy county, where he engaged in farming for three years. He then came to Eldora township and settled at Xenia. He was married to Joan H. Crist, daughter of Wm. and Catherine Crist. Her father was a native of Indiana, and died in Rock Island county, Illinois. Mrs. Wentworth came to Hardin county, with her mother, in the fall of 1858, and settled in Union township, near Gifford. The family were victims of the tornado of 1860, their house being destroyed, and all the family were more or less injured. Her mother died at Xenia, in February, 1867. Mr. and Mrs. Wentworth have seven children, three sons and four daughters.
Anson Whitney resides on section 35. Mr. Whitney's advent in Hardin county dates back to 1851. He is a native of Randolph county, N. C., where he was born March 12, 1811. Mr. Whitney, in his youth, had no opportunity for acquiring even the simplest rudiments of an education; and up to the age of twenty-one years , when he left his native State, he had never had a day's schooling, and was unable to "read or write." When twenty-one years old, he went to Morgan county, Ind., where he enjoyed his first opportunity for attending school. Here, he enjoyed one school term of four months. He then went to Hendrix county, and from there to Park county, in that State, where he worked and attended school for some time. The manner in which he improved the limited opportunities of those days for acquiring an education may be inferred from the fact that he taught a successful term of school, about this time, in Warren county, Ind. Mr. Whitney, when twenty-five years of age, was married, in Warren county, to Miss Mary Huffan, born February 1, 1837, in South Carolina, who removed with her parents, when five years of age, to Ohio, and from that State to Indiana. In 1846, Mr. Whitney removed with his family to Vermilion county, Ill., where he lived till 1854, when he came to Hardin county. He settled on his present farm in 1856. He has 217 acres, 120 of which he entered as Government land. Mr. and Mrs. Whitney have had ten children, none of whom were born in Hardin county. Six of their children -- two sons and four daughters -- are still living, viz: Thomas J., Annie, Wm. R., M. Jennie, Rachel M. and Laura A. The names of the deceased children are: Mrs. Sarah E. Betts, John R., Mary M. Strean and James H. Mr. Whitney is one of the well known early settlers of Hardin county. He is a man of much general intelligence, and possesses a good memory. He came to Hardin county poor, and with a large family, and, by industry and economy, has acquired a competence.
[See S. W. Boyd sketch] ... His wife was Mary Woodside, daughter of James Woodside, an early settler of Hardin county.
Mr. Woodside resides on section 29. He was born in County Derry, Ireland, in August, 1814, where he lived till twenty-two years of age, when he came to the United States. He spent one year in New York and vicinity, and then went to Philadelphia, where he lived twenty years. While living in that city, he had charge of a factory as weaver. He came to Hardin county in October, 1856. He settled where he now lives in 1866. His wife was Eliza McBride, born in County Tyrone, Ireland. Se died October 14, 189, in the sixty-seventh year of her age. Mr. Woodside had four children, three of whom are now living. William was a soldier in the war of the rebellion; now lives in Grundy county. Sarah J. died May 20, 1865, in her fifteenth year. Thomas is in Hermassillo, Old Mexico, where he is telegraph operator and shorthand reporter for the Chief Engineer of the Sonora R. R. Mary, wife of Mr. Boyd. The children were all born in Philadelphia. Mr. Woodside is a member of the Presbyterian church.
James Zieger resides on section 23. He was born in Pickaway county, Ohio, in 1819. His parents were Frederick and Sarah Zieger. He removed with his parents to Vermillion county, Indiana. His father died in Indiana. His mother, at the time of her death, lived in Iowa City. Mr. Zieger came to Iowa in 1851, and lived in Benton county two years, coming to Hardin county in 1853. He entered a farm on section 10, Eldora township, where he lived till the spring of 1862. He came on this place in 1862, but did not purchase it till 1864. In 1859 Mr. Zieger went by the overland route to California, where he engaged in mining and farming, returning in 1861. He bought his present farm of Mr. I. H. Templeton. Mrs. Zieger was formerly Miss Amanda C. Plummer, of Indiana. Mr. and Mrs. Zieger have seven children, viz.: Mrs. Melissa J., wife of Levi Lamer; Lorinda E., wife of Philip Mason; Lewis F.; Mary E., wife of J. Hover; Samuel C., Sarah R., wife of W. P. Whitwood, and Frankie, wife of Edward Davis. Mr. Zieger owns a good farm, containing 120 acres, all improved. He made nearly all the improvements himself. He has an older brother living in Cloud county, Kansas, and a sister in Dane county, Missouri. These are all of his family living.