of Hardin County, Iowa
Wm. Anderson was born in Berkshire county, Mass., July 24, 1818. His parents were natives of the same State, and are both dead. The father died in 1819 and the mother in 1843. At the age of fourteen, he adopted the life of a sailor on a merchantman, commencing at the bottom and gradually rising through all grades of the office, until he attained the honorable and responsible position of captain on one of Grinnell's fine passenger ships, running from New York to Liverpool. He has in his possession many testimonials from his passengers and employers, which anyone might be proud of. The war breaking out, the rebel privateers cut short his business for that time; and, in the fall of 1863, he enlisted in Company A, 56th New York Infantry, and took part in the closing scenes of the war around Petersburg and Richmond. Mr. Anderson was married in England in 1838, his wife dying some twelve years afterwards. On August 2, 1867, he was married in Mt. Carroll, Ill., to Mrs. Margaret Hallett, widow of James Hallett, who was killed at the battle of Chicamauga, he being at the time a member of Company C, 92d Illinois Mounted Infantry. There were three children by the first marriage -- William, born October 29, 1857, married and living in Eldora; Maria, born July 26, 1860, wife of Geo. Reeves, of Hubbard; Ellen, born November 3, 1862, wife of Edward Donelson, of Grant township. On the 1st of September, 1867, Mr. Anderson moved to Hardin county, settling in Eldora, where they moved to Grant township, settling on section 30, where they now reside. Here he has followed farming with good success, being wide awake and energetic, having at present 166 acres of good land, with a comfortable house, orchard, etc. By this second marriage there are five children -- George, born April 3, 1868; Charles, July 27, 1870; S. Anna, November 15, 1872; J. Franklin, December 11, 1875; Lily May, July 7, 1880.
Harlan Carter, one of the rising men of Grant, was born in Hendricks county, Indiana, November 13, 1840. His father, Eli Carter, was born in Chatham county, North Carolina, and his mother, Mary (Mendenhall) Carter, in Guilford county, of the same State. They came to Indiana in an early day, being pioneers of that State. They were married there, in Hendricks county, and removed to Tippecanoe county, same State, in 1864, living there until their death. Of their seven children, the subject of this sketch was the third. He came to Iowa in the spring 0 1872, making his home at first with his brother and two sisters, in New Providence, taking a short term at the Academy of that place. He engaged in teaching, which he followed for about ten years. On the 26th of November, 1874, he was married at Bangor, Marshall county, Iowa, to Miss Asenath H. Elliott, a daughter of George and Abi Elliott, now of Liscomb, Iowa, who were early settlers of Iowa. She was born October 1, 1852. After their marriage, Mrs. Carter joined her husband in teaching at the Academy in New Providence, which they continued until in 1880. They were engaged at the Iowa Reform School, he as Superintendent of the Farming Department, and she as Superintendent of the Boys’ Dining Hall. In March, 1881, having purchased a farm in Grant township, they removed to it, where they still reside, on section 16. In August, 1880, they adopted as their own, two half orphan children, brother and sister, Donna J., born October 1, 1873, and Edwin Johnson, born August 15, 1878. In politics, Mr. Carter is a Republican, and has taken an active part in political as well as education interests, and holds at present the offices of Township Clerk, Justice of the Peace, and Secretary of the District School Board. In religious matters, he has been no less active, having been for a number of years Superintendent of the Sunday School connected with the Society of Friends, of which himself and family are members, and he is the present Secretary of the Honey Creek Quarterly Meeting, of that body, an honorable and responsible position. During the “Amendment” movement of 1882, Mr. And Mrs. Carter took a prominent part, he being chosen President of the Grant Township Amendment Club, and she as Secretary. They, assisted by others, made a thorough canvass of the township, holding meetings in every school house but one, and there it was not needed, as all the voters were temperance men. Mrs. Carter is the present Corresponding Secretary of the Grant Township W. C. T. U. They have a good home, with 50 acres of well-improved prairie land, worth $30 per acre, and 5 acres of timber.
The first settler [of Grant Township, Hardin County, Iowa] was B. R. Gogerty in 1851.
The first birth was Francis A., son of B. R. and Mrs. Gogerty, born July 23, 1856.
The first death was Willie Minkins in the winter of 1860. His parents resided on Mr. Gogerty's place, on section 33. He was buried at Illinois Grove, Marshall county.
The first couple living in Grant township to be married, were Wyatt Albertson and Barbara L. Hockett, September 29, 1870, by J. L. Meyer, J. P.
B. R. Gogerty, who enjoys the distinction of being the oldest settler of Grant township, was born in Orange county, N. Y., November 12, 1827. His father, William Gogerty, was a native of France, and his mother, Catharine LaJambres, was born in Canada, both of whom have been dead many years. Mr. Gogerty first started in life as a varnisher and finisher, learning his trade in New York City, and from there went to Philadelphia, Pa., where he worked at his trade. On April 19, 1852, he was married in Philadelphia to Miss Lydia A. Yocum, of that city, who was born April 20, 1832. The second year after their marriage they removed to Altoona, Penn., living there a short time, and in the spring of 1855 came to Iowa, first settling in Marshall county, and on July 2, 1856, moved to Grant township. Mr. G. had, the spring previous, broken some prairie and built his house. Of eleven children born to them, five are now living -- Francis A., born July 23, 1856, being the first white child born in Grant township. He was married to Miss Mary L. Moon, December 13, 1880. They have one child -- Birnerd R., born October 21, 1881. The next child to Francis A. is Henry B., born November 3, 1857; David C., born September 8, 1861; Wm. H., born June 20, 1863; Mary C., born January 5, 1864. Of these, Henry and Mary C. were born in Marshall county, and the others in Grant township. Mr. and Mrs. G. are members of the Catholic church in Liberty township, Marshall county. In politics, Mr. Gogerty has always been a Democrat, and has taken an active part in its interests, and held the position of Town Trustee for several years. In his farming, Mr. G. has been quite successful, having at present 200 acres of fine prairie land, worth $25 per acre, and 15 acres of timber land in Marshall county. In 1859 they had the misfortune to be burned out by a prairie fire, losing nearly everything they possessed, after which they took a trip back to Pennsylvania for two or three years, since which they have lived in Grant township, on section 33.
Andrew J. Hiserote, M. D., was born in Duchess county, N. Y., February 4, 1808. His parents were natives of New York, but were of German descent. Andrew was reared on a farm, and early inured to toll, with but little chance to obtain an education. His parents died when he was quite young. After reaching manhood he went to Cuyahoga county, N. Y., where he remained seven years, and from that county came West, locating in Carroll county, Ill., where he also spent seven years, engaged in farming. In September, 1855, he came to Hardin county, and located in Jackson township, where he engaged in farming. He entered here a quarter-section of prairie and 70 acres of timber land. Before coming to Iowa he became a convert to the Homeopathic system of medicine, and brought with him, for use in his own family, a case of homeopathic remedies. Shortly after his arrival in this county it became known that he had a case of medicine, and neighbors began to call upon him for the same, in some simple and well known cases of sickness. His remedies proving so effectual, he was occasionally asked to visit a patient and prescribe for him. Often did he protest that he was not a physician, but his neighbors would insist on his attending to their calls. Not willing to risk the life of a patient, and finding that his services were so often called into requisition, he began a course of study in medicine. In his professional work he found a friend in Dr. J. H. Cusack, who, though of an opposing school, often gave him good advice. When called to treat a case that he knew but little about, he would describe the case to Dr. Cusack, who would tell him the trouble, and inform him that if he had a remedy that would act in a given manner, that was what he should use. By referring to his books he would find the remedy, administer the medicine with beneficial results. His practice soon became extensive, often attending calls from fifteen to twenty miles distant. In consequence of growing infirmity the Doctor abandoned his general practice in 1876. Before coming West, in Columbia county, N. Y., September 28, 1833, he was married to Betsey Bushnell. Nine children blessed this union, eight of whom are now living: William, Henry, Andrew, Hannah, Elizabeth, Sarah Ann, Ambrose, George. Allen, the fourth son, was killed by being thrown from a wagon, a short distance east of Steamboat Rock.
Francis Hockett, one of the oldest settlers of Iowa, was born in Randolph county, Indiana, February 2, 1818. His parents were natives of North Carolina, and were pioneers of Ohio and Indiana. Here Mr. Hockett's early life was spent, and he grew to manhood in the same county where he was born. On December 15, 1835, he was married to Miss Rebecca D. Hartley, who was born in Ohio, Secember 21, 1818. They continued to live in Randolph county until in the spring of 1838, when they removed to Iowa, which was then a Territory, settling in what is now Henry county, near Salem. They afterward settled in the adjoining county of Lee, where they lived until the year 1863, when they removed to Hardin county, first settling in Providence township, and, in 1870, locating in Grant township, on section 12, where they now reside. There has been born to them twelve children, ten of whom are living. The oldest, Norton, of whom mention is made elsewhere, was born October 18, 1836; Calvin W., born May 6, 1841; Eliza A., born May 4, 1843; Barbara L., born April 24, 1845; James, born January 6, 1847; Deborah A., born February 15, 1849; Thomas E., born March 15, 1851; Lydia, born April 7, 1853; Mary Magdalene, born September 4, 1855; Henry M., born February 1, 1859; all but one living at present in Hardin county -- Ezra, living in Nebraska; and all married but one -- James. Mr. Hockett has always followed farming, and has a farm of 80 acres, with good house and orchard on it, well protected by natural timber, it being nearly all the timber there is in the township. Mr. Hockett and family belong to the Society of Friends. During the early times he was familiar and friends with the Indians, over whom the famous Black Hawk was Chief, and was well acquainted with his son, whom he describes as being a finely-formed, intelligent and interesting man.
Norton Hockett was born in Randolph county, Ind., October 18, 1836, being the eldest of his father's family of twelve children. His early life was spent on the farm with his parents, until his marriage, which took place on March 26, 1857, in Lee county, Iowa, to Miss Anna Lewilling, of Henry county, according to the rules governing the Society of Friends, of which they are members. Their children have been seven in number, of whom six are living: Wilson M., born March 28, 1860; Clara, born November 20, 1863; Wesley, born December 7, 1865; Asa, born April 5, 1867; Mary E., born July 17, 1877; Esther V., born February 24, 1881. Mr. Hockett, after his marriage, continued to live in Lee county, Iowa, until March, 1873, when he moved with his family to Grant township, where he now resides on his farm of 80 acres, which is quite well improved, and worth from twenty-five to thirty dollars per acre. He has for two or three years been devoting considerable time and attention to the Homeopathic system of medicine, and has so far mastered it as to be able to administer it to his own and his neighbors' families, with the most gratifying results. He intends to continue his studies in the future, having already provided himself with quite a full supply of the remedies prescribed by that school of medicine.
Charles Hoelscher, among the earliest and most influential citizens of Grant township, was born in Prussia, September 6, 1839. His parents are natives of the same country, and are still living, each at the age of seventy-eight. With their son Charles, the subject of this sketch, who came to this country in 1860, first settling in Wisconsin, where he was married, November 17, 1862, to miss Catherine Emhoff, in Monroe county. They resided there until the fall of 1868, when they moved to Hardin county, settling in Grant township on section 2, where he still resides. They are the second oldest settlers now living in the township, there being no house in sight of them west, when they built. There is a large German element here, the bringing of whom from the old country to try their fortunes in this new and growing country, can be attributed to Mr. Hoelscher's influence. His first house, one of the best in the township at the time it was built, was burned in March, 1881, but has been replaced by a commodious and well made structure. Their children number eight -- Laura A., born December 22, 1863; Dala, September 8, 1865; Ernst A., born August 17, 1870; Wilhelm, March 1, 1873; Emma, born October 18, 1874; Charles, March 31, 1876; John, born December 29, 1878; Catherine, August 17, 1881. He learned the trade of blacksmith in Germany, following it eight years. In politics he is a strict Republican, and has taken a prominent part in the interests of that party, and is at present holding the responsible position of County Supervisor, besides minor offices; has followed farming since coming to this country, having at present 350 acres of good land, ten of which is timber, all worth on an average $25 per acre.
Henry Hoelscher was born in Germany, and came to this country about 1867, living with his brother Charles, mentioned above, until he came to Hardin, in 1868, where on September 3, 1871, he was married to Miss Lottie Miller, they living in Grant township until his death, which occurred August 16, 1879; of their family of five children, all are living -- William, born July 27, 1872; Lizzie, born February 10, 1874; Lottie, born February 15, 1876; Amelia, born May 20, 1878; Henry, born February 16, 1880. Mr. Hoelscher was an active hard working man at his business of farming, and had at his death a good farm of 212 acres, to which Mrs. Hoelscher has since added 40 acres, besides building a good house, one of the best in the township, and otherwise improving it, making a farm of 252 acres, which she is carrying on with the aid of her children and a brother who lives with them. The farm is valued at from $20 to $25 per acre.
L. G. Hunt, live stock and grain buyer, was born in Logan county, Ohio, June 6, 1830. His parents were of Scotch descent. The father, David Hunt, now of Iowa Falls, was one of the early settlers of Hardin, and took an active part in politics during the early times, representing the county in the State Legislature in 1860-61. His mother was a native of Virginia, and died in Ohio some years ago. After her death, Mr. Hunt re-married, and afterwards went to Indiana, where for three years, he superintended the well known Quaker institution known as the Earlham Academy. He is one of the leading preachers of his sect, and has traveled extensively, both in Europe and this country, in its service. On October 20, 1858, the subject of this sketch was married in West Liberty, Ohio, to Miss Edna B. Watkins, of that place, he being at the time engaged in the mercantile business, which he carried on until, in the year 1864, he and his family came to Hardin county, settling in Providence, where he engaged in farming and stock growing, being one of the most successful feeders in the county. In the fall of 1881, the town of Lawn Hill having just been laid out, he erected a fine grain elevator and mill for grinding feed and meal, at a cost of over $3,000. He here engaged in the business of buying live stock and grain, in which he has been very successful, having shipped to date, 170 cars of stock and considerable grain, with a prospect of a largely increased business in the future. He, in the meantime, carries on his farming and stock raising on his farm in Providence, where his family reside. In politics, he is a strict Republican, and was educated and brought up in the Quaker doctrine, and still adheres to that faith. The farm consists of 403 acres of fine land, well stocked and improved, and worth from $40 to $50 per acre.
N. S. Martin was born in Yadkin county, N. C., January 25, 1848. His father, Daniel H. Martin, was born January 7, 1821, and his mother, Belinda Reece Martin, was born December 7, 1821. They were natives of the same county, and lived there, after their marriage, until in 1859, when they removed to Hardin county, settling in Providence township, where they still reside. Of their nine children, Mr. Martin is the second in number, and lived with his parents until his majority, engaged in farming and part of the time in a tannery. He then commenced working at the carpenter trade, and farming alternately, for seven years. On January 14, 1871, he was joined in marriage to Miss Anna M. Wood, a daughter of J. F. and Charlotte H. Wood, of Providence, where the mother is still living, the father having died September 11, 1863, of a broken leg. In the month of October, 1871, they moved to Grant township, settling on section 21, were they now reside. Therre have been born to them four children -- Etta C., born May 5, 1872; Rosa B., August 8, 1873; Frederick D., July 10, 1876; Roland F., December 28, 1879. Mr. M. is, in politics, a Republican, and has held the office of Town Clerk several terms, and was for years one of the District School Board. In religion, himself and his family are prominent workers in the Society of Friends, Mr. M. being at present the Clerk and Overseer of the preparatory meeting in their neighborhood. They have taken a leading part in all matters relating to temperance, Mrs. M., during the famous, "Amendment" campaign of 1882, making a thorough canvass of the township, driving in a wagon, in company with others, to nearly every house in the township, and procuring 103 signatures of the wives and mothers to a petition to the voters to vote in favor of the amendment. She is the present Financial Secretary of the Women's Christian Temperance Union of Grant township. In his farming operations, Mr. M. has been very successful, having at present 160 acres of good prairie land, with one of the best houses in the township, and valued at $25 per acre.
Alex. Mills, one of the early settlers of Grant township, was born in Miami county, Ohio, August 28, 1837. His father, John Mills, was a native of South Carolina, and his mother, Anna (Macy) Mills, was born in North Carolina. They were pioneers of Iowa, and died in Henry county -- the mother in 1863 and the father in 1864. The subject of this sketch lived with his parents in Henry county until his marriage, which occurred October 13, 1863, in Henry county, he being united with Miss Anna Terrell, of that county. She was born in Illinois, December 17, 1843. They remained there until the fall of 1866, when they moved to Hardin county, settling in Providence township, where they resided until the spring of 1867. They removed to Grant township, section 16, being among the first residents of that part of the township. There have been born to them seven children, five of whom are living -- Christopher C., born Jan. 26, 1865; Aaron E., born April 7, 1867; David Barkley, born Feb. 19, 1870; died Dec. 4, 1873; Jess Corwin, born Dec. 2, 1871; died Jan. 5, 1874; Joel W., born Feb. 22, 1875; Nellie M., born July 28, 1877; John, born August 8, 1879. Mr. Mills and family are members of the Society of Friends. In politics, Mr. Mills has always been identified with the Republican party, but has taken no active part. In his farming operations he has succeeded well, having 80 acres of prairie land, well improved, and 7 acres of timber.
Harmon Riel was born in Hanover, Germany, December 25, 1836. His parents were natives of Germany, and lived and died there. Mr. Riel is the one of their four children, living in this country, there being three sisters still living in Germany. In 1859, he came to this country, landing in New York May 5. He first went to Madison county, Illinois, living there until the fall of 1871, when he came to Steamboat Rock, Harind county, living there for atime, whe he moved to Grant township, section 23, where he still resides. He has followed farming for a business since coming to Grant township, and has in his possession 120 acres of good prairie land where he lives, 8 1/2 acres of timber land in Providence township and 80 acres of land in Sherman county, Nebraska. He was married in Germany, March 5, 1863, to Miss Efka B. Butsman, living with her until her death, which occurred February 7, 1866. They have no children living. Mr. R. was married the second time, in Germany, to Miss Barandtia Lammoas, on July 11, 1867. There have been born to them eight children, four of whom are living -- Johann Ludwig, born November 24, 1873; Barnadiana, November 29, 1872; Gratiea, December 10, 1879; Herman, March 14, 1882. Mr. and Mrs. R. are members of the Lutheran Church of Hubbard.