Review of Henry County, Iowa
Biographies submitted by Polly Eckles.
The broad prairies of Iowa have furnished splendid opportunities to the agriculturist, and taking advantage of the natural resources of the state in this regard have been many men of excellent business capacity, keen discernment and untiring industry, who, through the utilization of the opportunities here afforded, have advanced to a position of affluence, if not of wealth. To this class belongs Captain Abraham, now recognized as one of the prominent farmers of Center township, Henry county. Moreover, he is an honored veteran of the Civil war and is a recognized leader in republican circles. He stands as a high type of our American manhood, manifesting business integrity, public-spirited citizenship, and due regard for man's obligations to his fellow man.
Captain Abraham was born in Butler county, Ohio , on the 18 th of April, 1838 , a son of John and Sarah ( McCue ) Abraham. When three years of age he was brought by his parents to Center township, Henry county, his father purchasing land on section 35, where the son still resides. John Abraham, however, was not long permitted to enjoy his new home, being called to his final rest. He left a widow with seven small children, one of whom was born subsequent to the father's demise. With most commendable courage and resolution, Mrs. Abraham kept her little flock together until her sons and daughters had attained adult age and were able to care for themselves. The educational advantages of the locality were poor and the “temple of learning” was but a log building. Through broad reading, general observation and experience, however, Captain Abraham has obtained a good education. Being the eldest son, he took charge of the home farm, and was yet a young lad when brought before the business world. After he had attained his majority he and his brother began purchasing the interest of the other heirs in the home property, and to the further improvement and cultivation of the land Captain Abraham devoted his time and attention, until after the outbreak of the Civil war in 1861.
He then enlisted for three years' serving as a private of Company D, Fourth Iowa Cavalry. Within six months, however, he had been promoted to the rank of first lieutenant, having passed through the intermediate grade of orderly sergeant. At the end of the year he had become captain. The regiment first went with Curtis through Missouri and Arkansas , and later participated in the siege of Vicksburg and was with Sherman on the Meridian expedition in February, 1864. In 1864 Captain Abraham was on active duty under Generals Sturgis and Smith, and in the fall of that year made a trip after Price through Missouri . He then re-enlisted with his company for three years more and from there received his veteran furlough, and in 1865 returned to Nashville , but was too late for the battle there. His command was then attached to Wilson 's cavalry corps, and from that point started on the Georgia campaign. Captain Abraham was prominent in his command, and General Upton in his report says of him: “The Fourth Iowa Cavalry, dismounted, under Captain Lot Abraham, passed through the breach, turned to the right, charged the redoubt, capturing ten guns, and then sweeping across the bridge with the flying rebels, captured two howitzers loaded with canister. Mounted companies from the same regiment followed in the rear of Captain Abraham, and after crossing the bridge turned to the right and charged in flank the works at the lower bridge. * * * Captain Lot Abraham, Company D, Fourth Iowa, for his gallantry at Columbus, Georgia, April 15, 1865, and at Selma, Alabama, April 2, 1865, is recommended for brevet major.” These extracts are from pages four seventy-one, four seventy-five and four seventy-seven of volume forty-nine of the official reports of the war of the rebellion. On page four eighty-two of the same volume General Winslow says: “I respectfully recommend that the rank of major by brevet be conferred on Captain Lot Abraham, Company D, Fourth Iowa Cavalry. This officer has frequently displayed great courage, handled his command in a very gallant manner at Columbus and Selma , captured a four-gun battery at Selma repulsing the enemy in his attempt to recover it.” Also complimentary mention is found in other places of the war reports concerning Captain Abraham's service. Following the close of hostilities he was sent to Washington , Georgia , where he paroled Wheeler's cavalry, spending two months there in charge of the government property. He also had charge of the archives of the Confederacy and sent car loads of such material to Washington, D. C. He was discharged at Atlanta , August 8, 1865 .
Returning to his home, Captain Abraham soon began independent farming, purchasing one-half of the old homestead, to which he added from time to time until he owned six hundred and forty acres, but he has since sold one-half of this to his son. He has been a prominent stock-raiser and feeder and his live stock has found ready sale on the market. At the present time he is making a specialty of breeding registered Hereford cattle, he having purchased eighteen of Captain Beckwith's registered white-faced females, and has probably the best animal in the county to head his herd, and pure bred Duroc Jersey hogs.
Captain Abraham is recognized as a distinguished republican leader in his district, active in support of the party, while his labors are most effective in advancing its interest. He has served for a number of times as chairman of the Central County Committee and has put forth effective effort in securing the nominations of good candidates. He was nominated and elected in 1881 to the senate, serving form 1882 until 1884, being a member of that body during the last session held in the old capitol and the first in the new capitol. He was a member of the committee on agriculture and four other committees, including that on prohibition. He was elected on the republican ticket, but was known as an ardent advocate of prohibition principles. He took a most active and helpful part in passing the prohibitory law in 1884 and was also active in his work for the benefit of the agricultural interest of the state. He also became widely known through his efforts to prevent the acceptance of passes by the members of the legislature, thereby placing themselves under obligations to further legislative movements for the benefit of the railroad companies, often to the detriment of the public at large.
While not holding office since his retirement form the senate, Captain Abraham has never faltered in his efforts to benefit his state and country by his active political work and he is now one of the leading members of the republican party in Henry county. He has, moreover, wide and favorable acquaintance in Grand Army circles, his membership being in McFarland Post, No. 20, Grand Army of the Republic, of which he has served as commander. For many years he has attended the state encampments and is an active worker in behalf of the interests of the old soldiers. He was likewise a delegate to the national encampments at Minneapolis , Pittsburg , Cleveland and San Francisco , and in a private capacity has attended many other meetings of the national body of the Grand Army of the Republic.
Captain Abraham was married in 1865, soon after his return from the war, to Miss Sarah C. Alden, a sister of John B. Alden, a well known publisher of New York city . She was killed in a runaway accident, August 5, 1888 , leaving three daughters and a son. John G., who is a graduate of Ames Agricultural College , married Miss Alice Barger and is now a well known farmer of Jackson township. Sarah, who was also educated at Ames College , is the wife of William H. Waugh, an extensive rice planter living near Galveston , Texas . Mary is the wife of George Wright and resides in Jackson township, Kate is the wife of Morton Bourne, of Long Beach , California . For his second wife Captain Abraham chose Mrs. Mary E. Blacker, a daughter of Peter Blant. She was born in Butler county, Ohio , where she resided until the time of her marriage to Captain Abraham on the 22 nd of October, 1891 . They now have one son, Frank P.
Captain Abraham has been a member of the Christian church. He believes in Christianity without creed, recognizing that the true spirit of religion is found in Biblical teaching and not in its interpretation by men. He has been an extensive traveler, visiting every state and territory of the Union and also the Canadian provinces. He has likewise traveled abroad, visiting England , France , Switzerland , Italy and other sections of Europe , also Syria , Palestine and Egypt . He has been a close and careful observer of the forms and customs of the various people whom he has met and through travel and reading has become a broad-minded, intelligent man. He possesses, moreover, a retentive memory and his mind is stored with many interesting reminiscences of his trips. He has over four hundred camera views of different scenes, a portion of which he has made into stereopticon slides for the entertainment of himself and friends.
Captain Abraham is always in touch with the progress of the times in business life, in political thought, in religious sentiment and in the general movement of the world toward a higher civilization, and he has been a forceful factor in molding public thought and opinion, leaving the impress of his individuality for good upon many lines of thought and activity.
John Alfred Abrahamson is the owner of an excellent farm of eighty acres in Wayne township, well improved with all modern accessories and equipments and the spirit of enterprise and progress is manifest in his work and constitutes the secret of his success. He is yet a young man, but has already attained a very creditable position as a representative of agricultural interests in his native county. He was born in Wayne township, November 28, 1871 , and is a son of William and Sophia ( Johnson ) Abrahamson.
The father, a native of Sweden , came to America and to the Mississippi valley prior to the Civil war, settling first in Illinois . At the time of hostilities between the north and the south he enlisted for service in behalf of the Union cause, becoming a member of Company K, Eighty-fourth Illinois Infantry. The command was ordered to the front and he took part in active field duty until he was shot in the leg and one of his shoulders, which disabled him for some time. When he had sufficiently recovered his health he was stationed to guard prisoners and he thus continued in the army until the close of the war. After receiving an honorable discharge he returned to his home in Illinois , but soon removed to Iowa , settling in Jefferson county, for a short time. He afterward purchased fifty-three acres of farm land on section 34, Wayne township, Henry county, which was a tract of wild prairie, on which he placed all of the improvements. He afterward traded that farm for eighty acres in the western part of the same section and upon the new farm made his home until his death, which occurred September 30, 1877 . He worked untiringly year after year to develop his property and transformed a wild tract into a richly cultivated farm. His widow still survives him and continued to reside upon the old homestead until 1904, since which time she has made her home with her son John.
In taking up the personal history of John Alfred Abrahamson we present to our readers the life record of one whose persistency of purpose and unfaltering energy have enabled him to rise from a humble financial position to one of affluence. In his youth he attended the district schools and worked at farm labor upon the old homestead, remaining with his mother until twenty-six years of age. He was then married on the 12 th of January, 1898, to Miss Hilma Sophia Peterson, who was born near Stanton, Montgomery county, Iowa, and is a daughter of Oscar and Almeda Sophia ( Swanson ) Peterson, the former a native of Sweden and the latter of Jefferson county, Iowa. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Abrahamson has been blessed with two daughters: Bessie Almeda, born March 28, 1899 ; and Myrtle Naomi, born January 9, 1902 .
Throughout his entire life Mr. Abrahamson has been connected with agricultural pursuits. In connection with his brother Frank he purchased one hundred and six acres of land on section 34, Wayne township, and this they operated together for four years. Their brother Oscar, according to arrangements previously made, was then taken in as an equal partner and the business interests were conducted by the three brothers until 1900, when their land was divided, fifty-three acres coming to John A. Abrahamson as his share. He has purchased from his brother on the north an amount of land sufficient to make his farm eighty acres in extent and he has now a good and well improved property, having erected a house of six rooms, also with pantry, closets and halls. He afterward built an addition to and remodeled his barn, which is thirty-four by thirty feet, furnishing ample shelter for hay and horses. He also has a double corn crib, twenty-six by thirty-two feet, and a portion of this is used as a granary. He has drilled a well to the depth of one hundred and thirty-seven feet and he carries on general farming and also raises cattle and hogs. He has likewise a good orchard upon his place, containing thirty apple trees, thirty peach trees and also eight plum trees and three cherry trees. The farm indicates his careful supervision and practical methods in its splendidly cultivated and cared-for appearance.
In all his work Mr. Abrahamson is practical and quickly recognizes and utilizes any business opportunity. He early came to a realization of the fact as stated in the admonition of the old Greek philosopher, “Earn thy reward; the gods give naught to sloth,” and as the years have passed by he has labored so energetically that he is now classed with the substantial agriculturists of Wayne township. He votes with the Republican party and he holds membership in the Swedish Lutheran church, and at all times he is recognized as one who is fearless in support of his honest convictions.
Oscar Victor Abrahamson, youngest brother of John Alfred Abrahamson, is also a well known land owner of this community, having a well improved farm of eighty acres on section 34, Wayne township. He was born August 11, 1874 , on the old home place and received his preliminary education in the public schools and then attended the Lutheran Academy , at Wahoo, Nebraska , for one term. He worked on the farm with his brothers until he was about eighteen years of age, but was never very robust, and on account of failing health he was compelled to go to Nebraska for two and one-half years, then returned to Iowa . He completed his education in the Mount Pleasant Academy and in Elliott's Business College . On the 29 th of March, 1900 , he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Amelia Johnson, born and educated in Ottumwa , Iowa . To them have been two born children: Prudence Irene; and Margaret Louise, both born in Wayne township. Mr. Abrahamson is a man who has not been easily discouraged, and though hindered by ill health, has put forth every effort to overcome all difficulties, and his efforts have been crowned by success as is shown by his well kept and prosperous appearing farm and his pleasant home. He and his family are member of the Swedish Lutheran church, and are faithful attendants of that body.
Andrew Allen, now deceased, was for many years actively engaged in general farming and stock-raising in Henry county and became a prosperous citizen. His birth occurred in Knox county, Missouri , on the 31 st of October, 1842 , his parents being Robert Oden and Keziah ( Davis ) Allen, both of whom were natives of Indiana . In early life they went to Missouri with their respective parents and were married in the latter state. They then began their domestic life there and continued to reside in Missouri until called to the home beyond.
Andrew Allen was educated in the common schools near his father's home and was reared to farm labor, gaining in proficiency in the work of the fields as the years passed by. He continued with his parents until twenty-six years of age, when he removed to McDonough county, Illinois . On the 8 th of August, 1865 , he was united in marriage to Miss Malvena Hungate, who was born in McDonough county, and was a daughter of Charles and Catherine ( Dorothy ) Hungate, both of whom were natives of Kentucky , whence they removed to McDonough county, Illinois , in an early day and were there married.
Not long after his marriage Mr. Allen came to Henry county, Iowa , settling in Canaan township, where he purchased one hundred and twenty acres of land, building thereon a good house. He otherwise improved the property, which was a tract of wild prairie when it came into his possession. He turned the first furrows in the fields and continued the work of plowing, planting and harvesting until annually he gathered rich crops, which found a ready sale on the market and thus brought him a good financial return for his labor. He worked persistently and untiringly year after year, giving his undivided attention to his agricultural pursuits up to the time of his death.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Allen were born six children:
Charles , born June 1, 1867 , and died at the age of thirty-one years. He was a farmer and resided in Canaan township. He married Miss Fannie Lynn, who now resides in Missouri .
Robert , born November 20, 1868 , resides in Canaan township, where he is engaged in farming. He married Jennie Bryson. They have one daughter, Donna.
Frank , born on the 20 th of December, 1871 . He resides in Baltimore township, Henry county, Iowa , and is a farmer. He married Stella Davey, and they have two daughters, Vida and Fern.
Mary Catherine , who was born February 16, 1875 , in Canaan township, Henry county, Iowa , was educated in the public schools of Mount Union . She married Richard Peckham, now deceased, who was born in Washington township, Des Moines county, Iowa . He was born October 20, 1869 , and was a farmer and resided in Washington township until his death, which occurred February 22, 1899 . They had one son.
Perl Monroe , born in Washington township, Des Moines county, Iowa , on March 25, 1896 , is now a student in the Mount Union schools.
Mrs. Peckham now resides with her mother.
Clara , born February 8, 1878 , the wife of Howard Snyder, of Canaan township. They have one daughter, Vera.
Lura , born June 2, 1881 , is the wife of Frank Young, of Canaan township. They have two children, Adelbert Allen and Frances Lucile.
All the children of Mrs. Allen were born in Canaan township, Henry county, Iowa
The death of Mr. Allen occurred on the 1 st of August, 1886 , when he was but forty-four years of age. He voted with the democracy, but was never a politician in the sense of office seeking, preferring to devote his energies to his business interests, which were carefully conducted and brought him a good return. His life was characterized by integrity as well as industry and his name was an honored one. Following her husband's death Mrs. Allen continued to reside upon the farm and there erected a fine residence in 1893. She purchased eighty acres of land on section 14, Canaan township, which was improved and which she sold in 1894 to her son, Robert, who has further improved the property. She still lives upon the old homestead and is one of the esteemed ladies of the community, having a large circle of warm friends.
Dr. Joseph Boyd Allen, who for many years was actively engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery and still at the age of eighty years writes prescriptions and does some office work in the line of his profession, was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, a son of Thomas and Rachael ( Green ) Allen. His paternal grandfather was a soldier of the Revolutionary war and his wife lived to be one hundred and two years of age. There is no very extended history, however, of the ancestry of Dr. Allen, for both of his parents died when he was less then ten years of age, so he learned little concerning the stock from which he sprang. His father was a major in the war of 1812 and was with Hull at the time of the surrender of Detroit , after which he was exchanged, together with other American soldiers, with the Canadian prisoners. He was a farmer by occupation and his political support was given to the Democracy. In the family were four children, of whom two are yet living. Jane, the eldest of the family, became the wife of Julius Beech and both are now deceased. They had five children: Thomas; Augustus, who married Leah Isamon; George; Eugene, who wedded Lillian Piper; and Lucy, who became the wife of Colby Smutz and is living in Nebraska . Alfred Augustus Allen, the second member of the father's family, married Sarah Heel and after her death wedded Nancy Malloy, who is also now deceased. Thomas Green, the third member of the family, has passed away.
Dr. Allen, the youngest member of the household, was educated in Cumberland, Ohio, and afterward read medicine in that state until twenty-four years of age, when he began practicing in Indiana. In 1845 he removed to Monmouth, Warren county, Illinois, where he practiced for ten years and in 1854 came to Hillsboro, where he has since remained, practicing as a physician of the regular or allopathic school. He has also displayed splendid ability as a surgeon and has occupied a position of prominence in the ranks of the medical fraternity in this county because of his superior ability.
Dr. Allen gave his early political support to the Whig party and has been a stanch republican since the organization of that party. He has served as a member of the school board both in Illinois and Iowa , but otherwise had held no office, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his professional duties. He is a Mason of Belmont Lodge, No. 451, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and for many years was an Odd Fellow. He and his wife are members of the Congregational church, and at one time he served as secretary and treasurer of the church, to which he belonged, but there is no organization of that denomination in Hillsboro .
Dr. Allen has been married twice. He first wedded Miss Dorothy Hammond, a native of Alabama , whose father was a lawyer. She was born December 27, 1827 , was married May 27, 1845 , and died in 1854, the interment being made at Little York, Illinois. By this marriage there were three children. Richard Eugene, born March 12, 1846 , in Little York, Illinois, is now living with his sister in Hillsboro . Mary A., born January 12, 1848 , is the wife of Cyrus Newbold, of Hillsboro , and had had five children, all of whom are living. Edwin Allen, the younger son of the first marriage, died when only two years of age, soon after the arrival of Dr. Allen and his family in Hillsboro . The daughter, Mrs. Newbold, has five children: Willis B., who married Emily Whitaker, by whom he has two sons, Joseph and Cyrus, their home being in Farmington; Otis C., who married Mrs. Jessie Newbold and lives in Hillsboro; Ellis b., who married Jessie Cleve and resides in Milan, Kansas; Belle, the wife of Professor Wright, of Howe's Academy, in Mount Pleasant; and George E. Newbold, who married Miss Mae Groves and lives in Hillsboro. They have one daughter, Mina A.
On the 18 th of October, 1855 , Dr. Allen married Sarah J. Kimes, of Van Buren county, Iowa . She was born in Cuba , Illinois , March 7, 1838 , a daughter of Dr. R. P. and Priscilla ( Hull ) Kimes. Her father was born in Ohio and her mother in New Jersey . He was a practicing physician and died at the comparatively early age of thirty-six years, his remains being interred in St. Louis . He was a republican and served as postmaster and justice of the peace in Illinois . He was making his home in Hillsboro at the time of his death, but had gone to St. Louis on business and there passed away. His widow still survives at the advanced age of eighty-seven years and is one of the oldest residents of Hillsboro and still quite active for one of her age. She makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. Allen. In the family of Dr. and Mrs. Kimes were three children, of whom two are living. After the death of the Doctor his widow married John Billingsly, a farmer. Royal P. Kimes, a younger brother of Mrs. Allen, is living in Moulton , Iowa . Joseph S. Kimes was a soldier of the Civil war and served for three years as a member of Company K, Sixth Iowa Infantry, but is now deceased. By her second marriage Mrs. Billingsly had two children: Mary, the wife of J. W. Runyan, of Hillsboro ; and Samuel Billingsly, of Hillsboro , who married Kate Woods, and has three sons, Vernon , Ralph, and Roy, all in Hillsboro .
Unto Dr. and Mrs. Allen have been born five children. W. S. Allen, born August 26, 1856 , in Hillsboro , was married November 13, 1878 , to Miss Ella D. McCormick. He is a lawyer of Birmingham , Iowa , and was educated at Denmark and Iowa Colleges , graduating in the university of the later place before he was twenty-one years of age. Unto him and his wife have been born two children: Roy D. and Grace Helene, both of whom are students in the public school. Louis Allen, born May 22, 1858 , in Hillsboro , was educated in Keokuk Medical College , from which he was graduated and is now practicing in Mount Pleasant , Iowa . He married Miss Queen V. Goler and they have a daughter, Florence , who is teaching music in Howe's Academy. Emma, born March 11, 1861 , in Hillsboro , is the wife of Elmer Alton, of Birmingham , Iowa , and they have one child, Craig, a furniture dealer and undertaker. Anna Belle Allen, born May 22, 1863 , is the wife of J. M. Harper, a fur dealer of Fairfield , Iowa , and they have three children: Leslie D., Zola, and Myrtle, who are attending either the high school or Parson's College, in Fairfield , Iowa . Flora Allen, born June 26, 1868 , died August 8, 1869 .
There is now no citizen living in Hillsboro that was here when Dr. Allen came to the village. He has done an excellent work for his fellow men, not only in the line of his profession but also in his efforts to improve the village and promote its substantial development. The country all around was unbroken and the work of progress had scarcely been begun at the time of his arrival. He is a self-made man in the truest and best sense of the term. His energy and ambition coupled with strong mentality and force of character have enabled him to work his way steadily upward and he has prospered in business, and at the same time has done much charity work. Mrs. Allen came to Hillsboro when a little girl, there being only one frame building in the town—the Pope Hotel. The family lived in a log house until the father could build a frame dwelling in the lot where the Methodist parsonage now stands. He had to carry pistols in those early days to protect himself from the attacks of the wolves while on his round of visits. Dr. and Mrs. Allen are very widely and favorably known in this part of the county and his life history indeed forms an integral chapter in the annuals of Hillsboro.
William Jasper Allen, who is serving as postmaster at Wayland is a representative of one of the honored pioneer families of Henry county. The student of history cannot carry his investigation far into the records of this portion of the state without learning of the close and honorable connection of the Allen's with the agricultural development of this locality. Jackson Allen, grandfather of our subject, was a native of Ohio , and was married there to Miss Mary Ann Wade, who was also born in that state. In the early 40's he made arrangements to establish his home west of the Mississippi river and came to Henry county, settling in Jefferson township, where he purchased a tract of land which he converted into a good farm. Pioneer conditions existed at that early day and the task of developing new land was an arduous one, but Mr. Allen persistently carried on his work and was long classed with the enterprising agriculturists of his community. He resided for many years upon his farm and then removed to Wayland, where he continued to make his home up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1887.
Rease Allen, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jackson Allen, and father of our subject, was born in Ohio and was a young lad when his parents came to Iowa . No event of special importance occurred to vary the routine of farm life for him in his boyhood days. After arriving at years of maturity he sought a companion and helpmate for life's journey and was married to Miss Melissa Warren, also a native of Ohio and a daughter of William O. and Eliza ( Edwards ) Warren, who first opened their eyes to the light of day in the Buckeye state. They, too, became early and prominent settlers of Henry county, and Mr. Warren was one of the organizers of the Methodist Episcopal church in Wayland, and took an active and helpful part in promoting the early moral development of the community.
At the time of their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Rease Allen began housekeeping on a farm southwest of Wayland, which he rented and which he continued to cultivate for some time. In 1885, with the capital saved from his earnings, he purchased sixty acres of land south of Wayland and there he lived for seven years, when, in 1892, he disposed of the property and took up his abode in the city of Wayland , where he and his wife now make their home. They are respected and worthy pioneer residents of this part of the state, and are widely and favorably known in their part of the county, having a large circle of warm friends. He enlisted in Company H, Twenty-fifth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, served three years, being with the Army of the Tennessee , and was twice wounded in a slight manner. He served in all of the important engagements in which his regiment participated, being in the noted march to the sea, and also in the grand review, at Washington, D. C., where he was discharged in 1865, and was mustered out at Davenport , Iowa , after which he returned to his home and soon after married.
William Jasper Allen was born on the old farm near Wayland, January 8, 1867 , and at the usual age entered the public schools, therein acquiring a fair English education. He made his home with his parents until his marriage, which occurred when he was twenty-two years of age. It was on the 28 th of November, 1889 , that he wedded Miss Nellie McCuen, who was born in Henry county and was educated in the public schools of Wayland. She is a daughter of Harlan and Sarah ( Lute ) McCuen and her maternal grandparents were among the early settlers of this part of the state. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Allen has been blessed with two sons and two daughters: Inez, born August 9, 1891 ; Warren R., December 24, 1899 ; Wayne , March 22, 1902 ; and Mildred, on the 1 st of March, 1904 .
Following his marriage Mr. Allen engaged in farming for several years, but in 1895 turned his attention to the livery business in Wayland, which he continued until July 1, 1897 . He then took charge of the post office and is still acting in that capacity. In his political views he is an earnest republican, thoroughly in sympathy with the principles of the party as embodied in its platform. He was appointed during President McKinley's administration on the 1 st of June, 1897 , to the office of postmaster, and has since served in that capacity, faithfully discharging the duties which devolve upon him in this connection. Socially he is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America and religiously is connected with the Methodist Episcopal church. He has always lived in this county, and the fact that many of his staunchest friends are those who have known him from his boyhood days down to the present is an indication that his life has been in harmony with honorable, manly principles.
Charles Clifford Anderson, representing agricultural interest of Henry county, was born May 4, 1868 , on the farm on which he yet resides, in Marion township. His parents, E. D. and Eliza J. ( Smith ) Anderson, were natives of Ohio , the father's birth having occurred in Highland county on the 10 th of December, 1828 . Eliza J. Smith was born in Fayette county, Ohio , December 8, 1831 , where she was married. Her death occurred in Henry county, February 14, 1872 . He was a stock-raiser and in 1856 came to the west, settling in Henry county upon the farm where our subject now resides, in 1866. To the further cultivation and development of that property he devoted his energies, bringing his farm up to a high state of cultivation. In December, 1872, he was again married, his second union being to Miss Hattie J. Spry, of Henry county, who is now living with our subject.
Mr. Anderson died November 15, 1895 , and both he and his first wife are buried in Hickory Grove cemetery. Mr. Anderson was an earnest republican, and both he and his wife were consistent Christian people, holding membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, in which he served as class leader for forty years. Their religious belief permeated their lives and they were devoted followers of the golden rule. In their family were four children: Carroll B., Ella L., the widow of Homer Spry; Frank L., and Charles Clifford, of this review, all children of the first wife.
The last named at the usual age began his education in the district schools of Marion township, and throughout his entire life has been connected with farming and stock-raising. He has long been an extensive horse-breeder, owning fine registered English shire horses, and now has eight stallions, the head of his herd being Alexander, No. 7,218, and Lord Curzon, No. 7,038. He also has fine registered Percheron and road horses. Mr. Anderson breeds many young horses, and always has good stock on hand for sale, and is known throughout this section as one of the best judges of horses in this vicinity.
On the 10 th of May, 1893 , occurred the marriage of Mr. Anderson and Miss Lena Sutton, a teacher of Henry county, and a daughter of Joseph and Martha J.
( Craig ) Sutton. Her father was born in Pennsylvania , and the mother in Ohio . He was supervisor of the Mount Pleasant Hospital for the Insane for eight years after which he was in the government employ in South Dakota in connection with the Indian agency for eighteen years, when he returned to Trenton township, where he has a stock farm.
Mr. Anderson's political position is not an equivocal one, for he his a stalwart champion of republican principles and fearless in defense of his honest convictions. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson attend and support the Wesley Methodist Episcopal chapel, but Mrs. Anderson an accomplished and refined lady of pleasing personality, is a member of the Baptist church of Mount Pleasant . A self-made man, he has eagerly embraced the opportunities for advancement and has realized that labor is the basis of all success and has therefore worked persistently and diligently in his efforts to acquire a competence. He is also reliable in his dealings and has the friendly regard of many with whom he is associated.
Mathias Anderson, who is living on section 34, Wayne township, where for many years he has devoted his energies to general agricultural pursuits, has now passed the seventy-seventh milestone on life's journey and is a respected and venerable gentleman, who is entitled to the esteem of his fellow men by reason of what he had accomplished, for he started out in life empty-handed and without any advantages to aid him. He was born in Sweden on the 23 rd of November, 1828 , his parents being Andrew and Mary C. Anderson. He never had any school privileges, but in the hard school of experience, where all sooner or later become students, he learned many valuable lessons. He was only ten years of age when he started out to make his own way in the world by working at farm labor and he was thus employed as the years went by, so that his youth was a period of earnest and unremitting toil. He continued his service as a farm hand until February, 1857, when he was united in marriage to Miss Hilda C. Tunquist. He had come to America in 1855 and following his marriage he took up his abode in Jefferson county, Iowa , where he worked at farm labor for three years. He then removed to Henderson county, Illinois , and four years later, in 1864, arrived in Wayne township, Henry county. In the meantime he had carefully hoarded his earnings with the desire to accumulate enough to purchase a farm and here he invested his savings in forty acres of land on section 34. It was then a tract of wild prairie, but soon his labors transformed it into a richly cultivated farm. He built a house and barns and otherwise improved the place and he now carries on general farming, raising the cereals best adapted to the soil and climate.
Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have two children: Olive, who is the wife of Franc Olson, now engaged in farming in Scott township; and Phenie, the wife of Edward Lauger, a resident farmer of Wayne township. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson now live together at their pleasant home and have traveled life's journey as man and wife for almost a half century. He votes with the Republican party and belongs to the Lutheran church. Starting in life as he did without any advantages to aid him he has made a splendid record in the business world through honesty and industry and is now in possession of a comfortable competence.
Peter Anderson, proprietor of the only exclusive furniture and undertaking establishment in Winfield, was born in Skone , Sweden , on the 9 th of November, 1859 , his parents being Andrus Hokanson and Helen Larson, who were also natives of Sweden . In the common schools of his native land Mr. Anderson acquired his education and remained a resident of Sweden until 1880, when at the age of twenty-one years he came to the new world. He had heard favorable reports concerning business opportunities in this country and believing that he might more rapidly secure advancement in business life across the water, he sailed for New York , taking up his abode in the city of Westchester , in the Empire state. He learned the stove molder's trade, which he followed for two years and then turned his attention to bridge building on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad. He has also had charge of the bridges and buildings for twenty years for the Burlington & Northwestern, and the Burlington & Western Railroad, now a part of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad system. In these connections much responsibility was attached to his work and he proved ever capable and reliable.
On the 1 st of October, 1904 , he became identified with commercial pursuits in Winfield as the successor of D. E. Eicher, becoming proprietor of a furniture and undertaking establishment at Winfield, which is the only exclusive store of this kind in the city. He carries a carefully selected line of furniture such as is in demand by a general patronage, and his trade is constantly growing. He also handles the New Home sewing machine and a general line of house furnishings. He is a graduate of the Western School of Embalming at Chicago, also a registered embalmer by the Iowa State Board of Health, and is therefore well equipped to carry on the undertaking department of his business.
On the 23 rd of May, 1893 , Mr. Anderson was united in marriage to Miss Selma S. Johnson, who was born in KalmarLan , Sweden , on the 19 th of June, 1867 , and is a daughter of O. F. Johnson. This marriage has been blessed with four children, but Ruth died in infancy. The others are: Ivar F., Ellen L., and Minnie.
Mr. Anderson is a valued representative of the Knights of Pythias and Masonic fraternities, and the Modern Woodmen of America. His study of the political issues, questions and situations of the country has led him to give his support to the Republican party since becoming a naturalized American citizen and although he has never sought office he is as loyal to the interests of America as any native born son. He has never had occasion to regret his determination to come to the new world, for here he has found the business opportunities he sought, which, by the way, are always open to ambitious young men, and by reason of his resolute purpose, close application, and indefatigable energy he has made steady advancement and is today recognized as one of the substantial and thoroughly reliable citizens of Winfield.
Judge M. L. Andrews, now deceased, was connected with the educational development of Henry county at an early day, was a veteran of the Civil war and in later years filled various local offices, the duties of which he discharged with a promptness and fidelity that left no room for questioning as to his motives or worth in office. As the years passed he left upon the pages of history a record clean and honorable and he well deserves mention among the representative men of the past and present who have been closely associated with the welfare and upbuilding of this section of the state.
He was born in Trumbull county, Ohio , March 16, 1836 , parents being Daniel and Mary Ann Andrews. He had four sisters; Hannah, the wife of Daniel Booth, of Green, Ohio; Lucy, the widow of Reynolds Bascom, also of Green; Eliza, the widow of Allen Meacham, of Washington, Iowa; and Nancy, the widow of Richard Ambler, of Washington, D. C. The first eighteen years of his life were spent in the state of his nativity and he then came to Iowa in 1854. He found here a country largely wild and unimproved but it was making steady and substantial progress toward the more advanced civilization of the older east. He became a factor in the educational development as a teacher in the early schools of Henry county and later he continued his own education in a business college. Subsequently he removed to Mills county, Iowa , and was engaged in merchandising at what was then Pacific City , but is now Pacific Junction.
On the 15 th of February, 1858 , Judge Andrews was united in marriage to Miss Maria Deming, the wedding being celebrated at Taylorville, in Fayette county, Iowa . Mrs. Andrews was born in Trumbull county, Ohio , June 23, 1838 . At the time of their marriage they crossed the state in a private conveyance and Judge Andrews continued in active merchandising until after the outbreak of the Civil war. In the meantime, however, he made one trip across the plains to Pike's Peak . In 1862 he enlisted for service in Mills county as a member of the Twenty-ninth Iowa Infantry and was elected to the captaincy of Company B. During the last months of his connection with the army he was appointed and served as provo marshal at Little Rock , Arkansas , and was mustered out in 1865. In the same year he took up his abode in Little Rock and was there admitted to the bar. In connection with his legal practice he also engaged in the real-estate and insurance business and he served for a time as state land agent. He was twice police judge and as a member of the school board he did effective service for the cause of public education there. He held membership in the Methodist church, was Sunday school superintendent for years and assisted in building the finest house of worship for the Methodist church North that is today found in the south, acting as business manager during the course of its construction.
In 1874 Judge Andrews returned to Iowa and took up his abode on a farm in New London township, Henry county. In 1881 he was chosen to fill out an unexpired term as clerk of the courts, the vacancy having been occasioned by the death of J. N. Allen. He was then twice elected to the office, which he filled altogether for five years, proving prompt and capable in the discharge of his duties. His political allegiance was always given to the republican party and he did everything in his power to promote its growth and insure its success. He kept well informed on questions and issues of the day and was thus able to support his position by intelligent argument. Other public interests and organizations felt the stimulus and benefited by the efforts of Judge Andrews. He was a valued member of McFarland Post, Grand Army of the Republic, and at the time of his demise was its senior vice commander.
He was also president for one year of the Henry County Soldiers' Association, was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of New London , and was district deputy during the last year of this life. His last public service was in the organization of the Henry County Farmers' Institute, of which he was president.
Unto Judge and Mrs. Andrews were born six children: Florence, now Mrs. John W. Palm; Mary, the wife of Frank Herrick, of Woodbine, Iowa; Rose, the wife of Ellsworth Rominger, of Bloomfield; Mark D., who is living in Menlo, Kansas; Walter, who resides in Lamoni, Iowa; and Helen, the wife of Bruce Young, of Kalispell, Montana.
Judge Andrews was called to his final rest in 1890, and his wife's death occurred in 1895. He was a man of broad and liberal mind, of quick intuitive insight, of charitable views and of warm personal attachments. He was well pleased with the world as he found it, was grateful to his Maker and sought by his life to make the world still better and happier. He was always light hearted and cheerful and the most serious and perplexing circumstances were viewed hopefully, for he had confidence that earnest endeavor and active work would bring their own compensations, lighten the burdens and produce better results.
He was very devoted to his home and family and he held friendship inviolable. It was at his own fireside that his nature was most sunny and genial. He delighted in the companionship of his wife and children and he was their friend and counselor as well as husband and father.
“His life was gentle and the elements were
A life of usefulness now crowned with years and honors—such in brief is the history of Dr. Timothy Langdon Andrews, now living retired in Mount Pleasant . He has passed the eighty-seventh milestone on life's journey, his birth having occurred in Danbury , Connecticut , on the 9 th of May, 1819 , a son of William and Sarah ( Parkhill ) Andrews. His ancestors became residents of the new world during the colonial epoch in the history of the country. His father, Rev. William Andrews, was a Congregational minister and during his active connection with the pastoral work of the church was located at Windham , Danbury and Cornwall , Connecticut , his death occurring in the last named place, while his wife passed away at Marietta , Ohio . They had six sons and a daughter, and five of the sons became ministers of the Congregational denomination, while the other also entered professional life.
The early boyhood days of Dr. Andrews were spent in Danbury and Cornwall , Connecticut , and after acquiring his elementary education in the common schools he subsequently attended the Cornwall Academy , acquiring a good, liberal education. He likewise profited by instruction from his father, who was a most highly educated man. When he had completed his own course of study he engaged in teaching school and was variously employed in his early manhood. For a time he conducted a store, but becoming imbued with a desire to make the practice of medicine his life work, he began studying with Dr. North, of South Cornwall , afterward entering the Vermont Medical College , at Castleton , Vermont , where he was graduated in November, 1845, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine.
Leaving New England for a more congenial climate, for he believed the rigorous winters of New England were detrimental to his health, he made his way to Cincinnati, Ohio, immediately after his graduation, and there spent some time in attending medical lectures and visiting hospitals. Later he went to Clarksville , Tennessee , where for a year he engaged in teaching in an academy. Believing that his lungs were affected, in the spring of 1847 he went to New Orleans , hoping to be entered upon the practice of medicine.
In January, 1849, he was employed by the American Colonization Society as physician and surgeon to accompany a cargo of emancipated slaves to Liberia , Africa . Cholera broke out on shipboard and eighteen died in the first few days, but the disease was checked before there were any more deaths. The voyage lasted seventy days. On leaving Africa in April, the same year, Dr. Andrews crossed the ocean to South America , landing first at Brazil and afterward went to Rio Janeiro. Not finding any boat to take him back to New Orleans, he became a passenger on a German vessel bound for San Francisco by the way of Cape Horn, and arrived at the Golden Gate in November, 1849. There performing various services acting as inspector of customs, as editor of a newspaper and as a school teacher.
In the spring of 1851 he made a voyage into the Southern Pacific waters and remained on an island of the Navigator or Samoan group for four months, trafficking with the natives. He then returned by way of the Sandwich Islands , where he spent several months with a cousin, Rev. Lorrin Andrews, a missionary in Honolulu .
In March, 1855, Dr. Andrews returned to New England by the Nicaragua route and in the fall on the same year located at Marietta , Ohio , where in the spring of 1856 he assumed editorial control of the Marietta Intelligencer , a whig newspaper. While acting as its editor and publisher, he used his influence for the formation of the Republican party and the adoption of its principles, supporting John C. Fremont for president and Salmon P. Chase for governor of Ohio . He made a close study of the great questions which resulted in the organization of the party and was the champion of the principles which gave it birth.
In May, 1856, Dr. Andrews was united in marriage to Miss Laura A. Childs, of Niagara Falls, New York, who died in January, 1871, at Orient, Adair county, Iowa, leaving five children: John F.; Daisy, now the wife of Howard E. Eide, of Providence, Rhode Island; Edward C.; Herbert B.; and Laura A., the wife of Walter F. Fowler, of Kansas City. The sons are now residents of Los Angeles , California .
Impaired health and the close confinement necessary to his editorial work obliged Dr. Andrews to abandon the field of journalism, and in 1862 he removed to Niagara Falls , where he remained until 1869. In that year in company with his eldest son he made his way to Iowa , settling in Adair county, where his family later joined him. There he turned his attention to farming and to the practice of medicine. In October, 1874, following the death of his wife, he removed to Creston, Iowa, his children having in the meantime returned to the east. Having changed his professional views and embraced homeopathy, Dr. Andrews entered its practice in Creston, where he continued until 1883, when he went to Wichita , Kansas , and in the practice of medicine and surgery secured a large patronage, which claimed his attention until about 1890.
He then went to St. Joseph , Missouri , where, in collaboration with Mrs. Andrews, he wrote for the St. Joseph Daily News and the Journal of Commerce , of which he was editor. He had been married in the meantime, on the 27 th of March, 1877, to Mrs. Sarah E. White, a daughter of William H. Taylor, one of the pioneer residents of Henry county, Iowa, and in 1892, following the death of Mrs. Taylor, they returned to this county to care for Mr. Taylor, with whom they remained until his demise. Here Dr. Andrews has since lived retired. He and his wife attend and support St. Michael's Episcopal church.
Mrs. Andrews was born in Marietta , Ohio , November 30, 1839 , her parents being W. H. and Susan H. ( Talbot ) Taylor. She was a resident of Marietta while the Doctor was an editor there during her girlhood days. In 1865, in Henry county, she became the wife of Edward T. White, then a resident of Mount Pleasant , Iowa . He was the founder of the Free Press , a republican paper of Mount Pleasant , and later was editor of a paper in Bloomfield , Iowa , where his death occurred. Mr. Taylor was one of the early residents of this county and owned and conducted a fruit farm near the town.
Dr. Andrews in the midst of a busy life has given considerable attention to the study of botany and collected a fine herbarium, which he gave to Ames Agricultural College in 1903. He kept this up from time of graduation at all times and all places. One plant which he discovered in California was named in his honor by Dr. Torrey, the celebrated botanist. Always fond of scientific research and investigation, he has continually broadened his knowledge as the years have advanced.
His life record has contained various experiences, and in his visits to many parts of the globe he has gained the culture and learning which only travel can bring. The Doctor, a man of strong religious nature, has lived his religion in his every-day life. His character is one of beauty, and today he is one of the honored and esteemed citizens of Mount Pleasant , spending the evening of his life here in the enjoyment of a well merited rest.
Professor Lincoln Antrim, a well known educator of Iowa, formerly connected with the system of public education in the state and now at the head of the Mount Pleasant Academy, a preparatory school of note, was born in Wilmington, Clinton county, Ohio, on the 10 th of July, 1860, his parents being Calvin Hackney and Jane ( Cohagen ) Antrim. The father was also a native of Clinton county, Ohio , where the grandfather, Hiram Antrim, settled in pioneer days, removing to the Buckeye state from Pennsylvania . He followed the occupation of farming, and Calvin H. Antrim was reared to that pursuit and continued as a farmer there for many years. He was married in Clinton county to Miss Jane Cohagen, a daughter of William Cohagen, also a pioneer resident of that locality.
The young couple began their domestic life upon a farm and he continued the cultivation and improvement of his fields in Ohio until 1867, and in 1877 he removed with his family to Iowa , settling near Primrose, Lee county, where he first rented land. In 1888 he removed to Orosi , California , where he and his wife now reside. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in their family were seven children, of whom Lincoln is the youngest.
Professor Antrim of this review acquired his early education in the common schools of Clinton county and after coming to Iowa attended the State Normal School at Cedar Falls , being graduated with the class of 1888, at which time the degree of Bachelor of Didactics was conferred upon him. Subsequently he entered the Western Normal School in Page county, Iowa , and was graduated in 1890 with the degree of Master of Science. His entire life has been devoted to educational work.
On the completion of his collegiate course he accepted the position of principal of the graded schools at Primrose, Iowa, where he remained for eight years, when, in connection with Professor C.W. Larkin, he established, in 1898, the Mount Pleasant Academy, for the purpose of teaching an academic course, fitting the students for all colleges and universities. They later instituted a commercial course, including stenography, typewriting and various forms of commercial work. This school seemed to fill a needed place in educational circles and has been a success from the beginning, there being an average attendance of two hundred and twenty pupils. The schoolrooms are commodious and centrally located on the north side of the squire and are fitted with all modern conveniences connected with such institutions and with the latest appliances that facilitate the work of the pupil. In 1902 Professor Larkin retired, leaving Professor Antrim as sole proprietor and manager of the school. There is a large attendance not only from this, but also from other states, and the Mount Pleasant Academy ranks as one of the excellent preparatory schools of eastern Iowa .
On the 2 nd of January, 1889 , Professor Antrim was married to Miss Ida L. Smith, of Primrose, Iowa , a daughter of Chris and Henrietta Smith. She is a graduate of the Primrose high school, and for a number of years was a capable teacher in the schools of Lee county. Mr. and Mrs. Antrim have two children, Florence and Etta, and they occupy a beautiful home at No. 603 East Washington street , which was built by Professor Antrim in 1897. It is tastefully furnished and shows many evidences of the culture and refinement of the family.
He and his wife hold membership in the Presbyterian church, and his fraternal relations are with Mount Pleasant Lodge, No. 8, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Eastern Star, Lodge, No. 6, Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in which he is past grand and also past chief patriarch. He is likewise past master workman of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and is one of the three trustees of Mystic Lodge, No. 55, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, having the trust of over ten thousand dollars.
He has given his life to a profession which is of eminent service to his fellow men, and his zeal and enthusiasm in his chosen calling, supplementing a naturally strong mind, have made him an educator whose ability is recognized.
William Archibald, now deceased, was for many years a worthy and respected citizen of Henry county, where he devoted his energies with signal success to the occupation of farming. He was born in New Haven , Ohio , October 2, 1834 , his parents being Dr. Edmond and Belinda ( Calhoun ) Archibald, the former a native of Massachusetts and the latter of Indiana . The paternal grandparents were William and Elizabeth Archibald, natives of Massachusetts and the maternal grandfather was Major John Calhoun, who served as a soldier of the war of 1812. The parents were married in Indiana and arrived on the present site of Lowell , in Baltimore township, Henry county, Iowa , in 1837, although the town had not yet been founded. They traveled westward by way of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers to Fort Madison, and thence drove across the country in wagons to Lowell, which name was given to the town by Dr. Archibald in honor of Lowell, Massachusetts.
He entered land adjoining the town site and thus established his home in the midst of a wild and unimproved district. The Indians made their way up and down the Skunk river in their canoes and pitched their tents in the forests, hunting for wild game. The trees were uncut, the streams unbridged and the prairie land uncultivated and in fact, the most far-sighted could not have dreamed that within a short space of time all of this was to be converted into highly cultivated farms with flourishing towns in their midst. The land which Mr. Archibald secured was covered with timber and in the midst of the green forest he built a log cabin and then began to clear and improve the land. His first home was one and a half miles west of Lowell and there he made many improvements. Later he lived for many years in the village, where he died April 26, 1878 , having for several years survived his wife. He was one of the honored and valued pioneer residents of this part of the state and aided in laying broad and deep the foundation for the development of the county.
William Archibald spent his boyhood days in his parents' home in Lowell , there remaining until his marriage, which was celebrated on the 6 th of September, 1854 . In the meantime he had acquired a good education in the district schools of Lowell . He wedded Miss Sarah Hufstedler, who was born in Parke county, Indiana, January 11, 1835 , and attended the public schools of that state. Her parents were Martin and Mary ( Kirkum ) Hufstedler, natives of Kentucky and Illinois respectively. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Archibald have been born five sons and two daughters. William M., born September 3, 1855 , married Kate Fleenor, who was born in Des Moines county, Iowa , March 19, 1865 . They resided near Clarinda , Iowa , where he died November 14, 1901 , leaving two children: Grace A., born July 5, 1891 ; and Irvin A., born February 25, 1898 . Mary Frances, born May 11, 1858 , is the wife of Howard Root, of Kansas City , Kansas and has two children: Archibald W., born April 6, 1886 ; and Richard Ross, born May 2, 1888 . George W., born May 20, 1860 , died July 30, 1903 . Viola, born April 26, 1866 , is the wife of John Stewart, of Lee county, Iowa , and their children are Beatrice and Rastus. Albert E., born October 6, 1868 , Harry E., September 23, 1871 , and Ernest, May 27, 1874 , are all at home.
Following his marriage Mr. Archibald resided in Lowell until 1896, when he purchased a farm of one hundred and ninety-two acres on section 20, which was partially improved. He erected a residence of nine rooms in 1903 and it is one of the attractive farm residences in this part of the county. He built two large barns upon the place. It is divided into fields of convenient size and he carried on general farming in connection with his two sons as long as he was able to work, but ill health at length forced him to retire. At length he was compelled to undergo an operation on the 20 th of April, 1906 , but he never rallied therefrom and died about midnight on Saturday night, the 21 st of April. His remains were interred in Lowell cemetery on the 24 th , and his death was deeply regretted by many friends. He had passed the seventy-first milestone on life's journey.
His political allegiance was given to the republican party and his religious faith was indicated by his membership in the Cumberland Presbyterian church at Bethany . All who knew him respected him for his many sterling traits of character and his good qualities of heart and mind. In his business he prospered, owing to his carefully directed efforts and he left his family in comfortable circumstances.