Henry County >> 1906 Index

Biographical Review of Henry County, Iowa
Chicago: Hobart Publishing Company, 1906.

M


Biographies submitted by Polly Eckles.

Herman Magdefrau

Each community has a few citizens who are recognized as leaders in business and public life, whose opinions are a potent influence in public affairs and whose labors are effective and beneficial in advancing general good. Of this class of citizens Mr. Magdefrau is a representative and Wayland owes much to his efforts in its behalf. He is there successfully engaged in general merchandising, and thereby contributes to the commercial prosperity of the village. He has also given tangible support to all plans and movements instituted for the welfare of the county and his fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability have frequently called him to public office. At the present time he is serving for the second term as a member of the city council.

Mr. Magdefrau was born in Prussia, Germany, on the 25 th of September, 1845, a son of John and Hannah ( Fleichman ) Magdefrau, both of whom were natives of Germany, in which country the birth of Christian Fleichman, the maternal grandfather, also occurred. In the schools of his native country Herman Magdefrau pursued his education and remained in his parents' home until about twenty-one years of age, when attracted by the opportunities of the new world, he resolved to try his fortune in the United States. Accordingly he bade adieu to friends and native land and sailed for New York city in May, 1866, accompanied by his brother Charles.

In Germany he had learned the shoemaker's trade and he remained in the eastern metropolis from May until September, 1866, working at that occupation. On leaving New York he came direct to Henry county, settling in Mount Pleasant, where his brother John was employed at cabinet making. Mr. Magdefrau worked at shoemaking for two different men in Mount Pleasant for a brief period and then went to Trenton, Iowa, where he was employed for six weeks. He then returned to Mount Pleasant, where he worked from Christmas until the following April, when he came to Wayland, arriving here on the 19 th of April, 1867. Here he embarked in business on his own account, establishing a shoe shop, which he conducted for two years. He then purchased a small stock of ready made shoes and gradually developed a business in that line.

In 1890 he retired altogether from the business of manufacturing shoes, concentrating his energies upon the sale of ready made goods. He now carries a large and well selected line of boots and shoes and has a good trade. When he ceased to make shoes he added to his business a stock of groceries and queensware and he further extended the field of his operations in August, 1901, by the purchase of a good line of dry goods. He has since conducted a general store and has a large patronage, so that the amount of business which he transacts annually reaches an extensive figure.

On the 5 th of February, 1873, Mr. Magdefrau was married to Miss Elizabeth Rinner, who was born in Germany, and with her parents went to Canada when about eight years of age. Her father was Conrad Rinner. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Magdefrau were born seven children: Harry, who died at the age of a year and a half; two sons, who died in infancy; a daughter who died when two and a half years old; Elmer, who died in 1901, at the age of nineteen years; and Albert and Frank, who are in business with their farther. The wife and mother died January 26, 1894, and her death was deeply regretted by many friends as well as her immediate family.

On the 1 st of October, 1897, Mr. Magdefrau was again married, his second union being with Mrs. Anna Gustin, a native of Alsace, France, and a daughter of Jacob Schaad. Mr. and Mrs. Magdefrau occupy an enviable position in social circles and their own home is a very hospitable one. Mr. Magdefrau is a republican in his political views, recognized as one of the stalwart advocates and leaders of his party in this section of the county. He has served for three terms as justice of the peace, his decisions being strictly fair and impartial. He has also been town assessor for two terms and mayor for two terms, and is now serving for the second term as councilman. No higher testimonial of capability and loyalty could be given than the fact that he has been re-elected to each office to which he has been chosen, showing that his service has been all that is exemplary.

He belongs to the Methodist church, in which he is filling the office of trustee. He is a man of broad sympathies and the poor and needy have found in him a friend. He stands as a splendid type of our German-American citizenship. By perseverance, determination and honorable effort he has overthrown the obstacles which barred his path to success and reached the goal of prosperity, while his genuine worth, broad mind and public spirit have made him a director of public thought and action.

Louis Milton Magers, who lived during his mature and prosperous years in New London , passed away in that village and left to lament his untimely death one son grown to manhood and his wife, who now resides in the handsome modern residence which he built in 1898. Mr. Magers was born September 18, 1848 , being the son of Thomas and Elvira ( Shopbell ) Magers. When a youth he went with his parents to live in Henry county, Iowa . He attended the public schools of his county and after finishing his education went into business with his father, from whom he learned the trade of a blacksmith and wagonmaker. After becoming well skilled in these trades he entered into business upon his own responsibility in New London , where he spent all of his mature years of activity and labor. He purchased the brick business block of Perry Frank and later another upon Main street . These he owned at the time of his death.

In 1873 he wedded Miss Ellen Fowler, a daughter of William E. and Jane ( Lyons ) Fowler. In her childhood she lived in Uniontown , Pennsylvania , and in 1859 went with her parents to live in Burlington , Iowa . They remained there several years, and in 1866 moved to New London , where the father soon became engaged in his trade of tinsmith, a business which he had followed all his life. The family continued to live in New London , where the daughter was married and where she is still living. The father died in 1894, and the mother in 1898.

Mr. and Mrs. Magers became the parents of one child, whom they reared to manhood, Thomas Frederick, now a dentist living in St. Louis , Missouri . He is married, his wife formerly being Miss Lillian Humes. They have no children.

Louis Milton Magers was a progressive business man. He early learned the lesson of industry and frugality and applied himself with diligence to his life duties. He was, at the time of his death, still a comparatively young man, but he had mastered the true principles of a successful business life and won for himself the distinction of being a self-made man. Mr. Magers had many friends in New London , and is missed by them as well as at his own fireside.

John F. Mallams, who for twenty-seven years has resided on his present farm in Center township, was born in Saratoga , New York , July 21, 1849 . His father, John Mallams, was a native of England , born in 1824, and after working in a coal mine for a year and a half came to America in 1832, being at that time only eight years of age. He accompanied his parents, who made the voyage in a sailing vessel which dropped anchor in the harbor of New York after sixty-five or seventy days spent upon the ocean, during which time a sever storm was encountered.

The grandfather first engaged in business and later turned his attention to farming between Albany and New York , where he cleared one hundred and sixty-five acres of land which was devoted to gardening and to the raising of various cereals adapted to the soil and climate. He met with reverses there, however, and decided to come west, settling in the vicinity of Mount Pleasant , in 1855. The father of our subject lived upon a farm about a mile from where John F. Mallams now makes his home and there the latter remained until eighteen years of age. The father afterward removed to New London township when his son John was about twenty-four years of age and there he spent his remaining days, passing away in 1892. He was married three times and his widow is living in New London .

The mother of our subject was the first wife and there were three children by that marriage, of whom two are living, namely: Sarah J., of Jefferson county, Iowa ; and John F., of this review. By the second marriage there was one child, May C., now the wife of Robert Frost, of Nebraska . There were two children by the third marriage: Beatrice, the wife of Ed DeGammo, of New London , Iowa ; and Ferrell, who is living in Jefferson county, this state. The father was a republican in his political views and served as school director and as road supervisor. He and his wife held membership in the Presbyterian church and he was interested in all that pertains to the general welfare of the community, aiding as far as possible in the work of public improvement and development. When called to his final rest his remains were interred in Bethel cemetery in Center township.

John F. Mallams acquired his education in the district schools of Henry county and in Howe's Academy. He remained with his father until twenty-four years of age, working upon the home farm and gaining practical knowledge of the best methods of tilling the soil and caring for the crops. As a companion and helpmate on life's journey he chose Miss Emma S. Neel, to whom he was married on the 31 st of December, 1873 . She was born in Center township in 1849, a daughter of Jesse and Rebecca ( Stratton ) Neel. The father's birth occurred in Franklin county, Maryland , and mother was born in Champaign county, Ohio . She died in Iowa , August 26, 1892 , in the house now occupied by Mr. Mallams. Mr. Neel came to the west in 1844 and here turned his attention to general agricultural pursuits, although he had followed carpentering in the east. He carried on farming up the time of his retirement from business life about ten or twelve years before he was called to his final rest, his last years being spent in the home of his daughter, Mrs. Mallams. His political allegiance was given to the Republican party and both he and his wife were members of the Christian church. In the family of this worthy couple were ten children, of whom five are now living, namely: John N., who married Miss Ann Snow and lives in Mount Pleasant; Ann, the wife of George McNealley, of Russell, Iowa; Ella, the wife of John Cox, of Mount Pleasant; Emma, the wife of John F. Mallams; and Sarah, who is the widow of Enoch Davis and resides in Mount Pleasant.

Mr. and Mrs. Mallams have five sons, all of whom were born in Henry county. Francis Burke, born January 16, 1875 , and now living in Center township, married Miss Myrtle Purdy, by whom he has two children, Miles Edgar and Florence Elizabeth. Lot Neel, born September 29, 1875 , is a railroad conductor living in Aurora , Illinois . Robert Nelson, born November 14, 1882 , died December 23, 1894 . John Wilbur, born February 13, 1885 . Perry Franklin, born July 12, 1889 , and Clarence Verl, born January 29, 1892 , are all at home.

For twenty-seven years Mr. Mallams has resided upon his present farm, which had formerly been the home of his wife before her marriage, so that she has lived here for thirty-eight years. He has remodeled the house and made other improvements and the farm is kept in excellent condition. In addition to this property he also owns twenty-seven acres of partially cultivated land, also in Center township. His home place is located on sections 5, 6, 7, and 8, and the well tilled fields and neat appearance of the place indicate the careful supervision of a practical and progressive owner.

Mr. Mallams is a republican and for four years has served as school director. He belongs to Mystic Lodge, No. 55, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in which he has filled all of the chairs and he and his wife are devoted members of the Presbyterian church. In business affairs and in citizenship he is progressive and enterprising, just and generous and both Mr. and Mrs. Mallams are highly esteemed in the community, where they make their home. Since the above was written they have sold out and removed from Henry county to Van Buren county, Hillsboro still being their postoffice.

Myron B. Martin, actively interested in general farming in Wayne township, was born in Geauga county, Ohio , October 25, 1845 , and is descended from New England ancestry. His paternal grandparents, Isaac Mitchell and Philena ( Guernsey ) Martin, were natives of Woodbury county, Connecticut . Their son, Bennett Martin, was born in Litchfield, Woodbury county, and when ten years of age went with his parents to Schoharie county, New York , where he remained for about five years. The family then drove to Ohio and he began chopping wood in the midst of the forest. When he had reached adult age he was married to Miss Asenath Smith, whose birth occurred in Warren county, New York , and her parents were Elijah and Asenath ( Woodworth ) Smith, the former a native of Massachusetts and the mother of the Empire state.

Following their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Bennett Martin came by wagon to Henry county, Iowa , starting on the 6 th of April about the time the ground was breaking up and the roads were very muddy. This made travel very difficult and they passed through the main street of Chicago when it was like a mortar bed. They reached Wayne township on the 21 st of May and entered from the government a tract of land, which he developed, comprising the southeast quarter of section 9. He remained there three years and built a house and stable of logs, and in 1852 some land sharks, taking advantage of him, he lost the place and afterward bought eighty acres on the northwest quarter of section 9, Wayne township, purchasing the same from the government at one dollar and a quarter per acre. There was not a fence upon the place nor stick of wood of any description, nor had a furrow been turned. He built a frame house and stable, fenced the land and further continued the cultivation, development, and improvement of the property up to the time of his death, which occurred on the 10 th of May, 1876 . His wife long survived him, dying upon the old homestead on the 8 th of July, 1891 .

Myron B. Martin was the youngest of four children, two sons and two daughters. Philena, the eldest, lived upon the old home place until her death, November 15, 1904 , at the age of seventy years. Eliza Ann died at the age of six years. Sheridan S. Martin remained at home until December, 1863, when he responded to the country's call for troops, enlisting as a member of Company G, Eleventh Iowa Infantry. The regiment was sent to the south, where he was engaged in active duty and on the 22d of July, 1864 , in the siege of Atlanta he was taken prisoner and sent to Andersonville , where he died on the 19 th of September, being buried there. Since brought to his present farm in his boyhood days Myron B. Martin has resided continuously upon this place, having here a good tract of land of forty acres which responds readily to the care and labor he bestows upon it, the fields annually yielding good harvests. He was married on the 9 th of January, 1889, to Miss Hattie H. Smith, who was born in Lake county, Ohio, a daughter of Loring W. and Caroline ( Gardner ) Smith. Her father was a native of Warren county, New York . Mr. and Mrs. Martin now have three children, Loring B., Edith L. and Harmon E, all at home. The parents are devoted members of the Congregational church, in which Mr. Martin has served for fifteen years as clerk and for three years as trustee.

Almost his entire life has been passed in this locality, for he was less than a year old when brought from Ohio to Henry county. In the sixty years which have since come and gone he has witnessed many changes as the wild, unimproved country has been reclaimed and the work of development has been carried forward. There are now splendidly improved farms with here and there a church and schoolhouse to indicate the intellectual and moral development of the community. Towns and villages have sprung up and these are imbued with the commercial and industrial life that leads to rapid advancement. Mr. Martin has concentrated his energies upon his business affairs with good results and is classed with the enterprising agriculturists in Henry county.

George Thomas Mason, M.D.

Back in the fertile fields of Greene county, Pennsylvania , on the 23d of November, in the year 1850, the subject of this memoir first saw the light of day. His parents, John and Rachel ( Ross ) Mason, both now deceased, were also natives of the same county. John Mason's father, James Mason, was a native of County Tyrone , Ireland , and his parents were Presbyterians in religious faith and descendants of emigrants from the highlands of Scotland . These Highlanders on the paternal side were descendants of Sir William Mason, who went from London , England , to the Highlands of Scotland almost two hundred years ago.

James Mason was brought by his parents to America when only five years old, settling in Greene county, Pennsylvania , where the most of the family resided throughout the remainder of their lives, including the parents and James. Dr. Mason's mother, Rachel Ross, was born in Greene county, Pennsylvania , and was of Scotch and German descent, her father, Jacob Ross, being of Scotch parentage, while her mother was of German lineage. John and Rachel Mason had ten children born unto them, of whom eight are living, namely: Mary Fisher, of Logan, Ohio; Mrs. Abigail E. Austin, of Nelsonville, Ohio; William J., of Edenville, Michigan; Hiram, of Nelsonville, Ohio; Mrs. Phoebe Jane Conaway, of Logan, Ohio; James K., of Kansas, Illinois; George T., whose name heads this sketch, and Dr. Timothy R. Mason, of Sugar Grove, Ohio. Jacob R. died at the age of twenty-eight years, leaving a widow and one son.

Dr. Mason removed with his parents to Harrison county, Virginia, in the fall of 1852 and to Coles county, Illinois , in 1854, locating three miles west of Pinhook, now Oakland . The family suffered intensely from ague and the youngest child, a baby boy eighteen months old, died there and was laid to rest in Deer Creek cemetery. The family, becoming discouraged owing to so much illness, retraced their steps in the fall of 1856 as far as Hocking county, Ohio , and there settled in Starr township, adjoining the Athens county line, five miles from Nelsonville, now the center of the Hocking Valley mining district, one of the most extensive bituminous coal fields in America .

Here “little Tommy”, as he was familiarly called, grew to manhood, working on his father's farm in the summer seasons and attending school three months in the winter in a log house, sitting on a slab bench. His writing desk consisted of a board laid on pins driven into the wall. Later he attended an academy and high schools, and a short time before the eighteenth anniversary of his birth he was in the schoolroom as teacher at a point in Starr township known as Sidehill Academy . He taught in Ohio , Kansas and Illinois for ten years. He received the first teacher's certificate ever issued in Sumner county, Kansas , and taught the first public school ever taught in that county. Also the first school exhibition given in the county was given by the Doctor and his school in the town of Oxford on the banks of the Arkansas river . People traveled twenty miles to attend that entertainment. The Doctor also paid considerable attention to vocal music when a young man. He taught voice culture and elocution for some time and gave a number of public entertainments.

He spent a number of years in writing biographical and township histories for Chapman Brothers and the Lewis Publishing Company, of Chicago ; but this work kept him from home so much that he finally took up the study of medicine, to which he devoted his leisure hours for more than a year, while he still continued in the history business. He took his first course in medicine at the Hospital College of Medicine, at Louisville , Kentucky , and was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, at Keokuk , Iowa , in March, 1892. He at once removed from Arcola , Illinois , his former home, to Lowell , Henry county, Iowa , where he practiced until the fall of 1894, when he removed to Trenton , where he has since resided and continues in general practice.

He was married December 24, 1879 , to Miss Ida E. Gray, of Vermilion county, Illinois . She is a daughter of the late Harvey and Susan ( Harman ) Gray, of Sidell , Illinois . Her brother, Samuel Gray, of Sidell , Illinois , wrote the first article advocating the township central school system, which article appeared in the Prairie Farmer in 1870. Dr. and Mrs. Mason have had six children born to them, as follows: Guy, Edna, Victor, Ada , Harry and Florence . Most of the family are identified with the church and Sunday school in Trenton . In politics the Doctor is an uncompromising republican, being the only advocate of that party in his father's family. His brother, Dr. T. R. Mason, of Sugar Grove, Ohio, is a prominent democrat in his place and served on the United States pension board under Cleveland, while Dr. Mason of this review is a member of the pension board at Mount Pleasant, having acted in that capacity for several years.

Michael McCormick

Michael McCormick, residing in Canaan township, has for long years been closely associated with the agricultural interests and with care and the improvement of his business affairs, through frugality and industry he has worked his way upward from a humble financial position to one of affluence. He was born in County Roscommon, Ireland, in March 1837, a son of Francis and Mary (Rowley) McCormick. He spent the days of his boyhood and youth in his native country and attended the common schools of Ireland.

When a young man he became ambitious to see something of the world and profit by the better business opportunities which he heard were to be enjoyed in the United States. He therefore made arrangements for leaving his old home and bidding adieu to friends and native land he sailed for America, landing at New York City on the 10th of June, 1857. He then made his way to Rensselaer county, New York, where he worked as a farm hand until 1861, when, becoming convinced that he might more readily obtain a farm of his own in the new and growing west, he made his way to Burlington, Iowa, in April, 1861, and thence to Mount Pleasant. In Henry county he secured farm labor after spending eight months as outside watchman at the Mount Pleasant insane asylum.

Before coming to Iowa Mr. McCormick was married on the 7th of February, 1861, to Miss Margaret Smith, who was born in Wilmington, Delaware, on the 4th of March, 1837. She pursued her education in the common schools of Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania. Her parents were Barnard and Margaret (Flynn) Smith, the former born in County Clavin, Ireland, and the latter near Dublin, Ireland. They came to the United States about 1832.

After working at farm labor for a time in Henry county, Mr. McCormick, of this review, rented sixty-five acres of land, which he cultivated for three years, and then purchased eighty acres on section 18, Canaan township, which at that time was a tract of raw prairie. He built all of the fences and the buildings on his place and otherwise improved it, and as the years passed and the country became more thickly settled his farm greatly appreciated in value, and the property for which he paid fifteen dollars per acre is today worth one hundred and twenty-five dollars per acre, owing to the care and labor he has bestowed upon it and the excellent improvements he has made.

In 1895 he purchased sixty acres just across the road in Marion township. There were no improvements upon it and the changes that have been wrought there are due to his labors and supervision. He has also invested in ninety-eight and three-quarters acres adjoining his original farm on the south, upon which his two sons live, their sister keeping house for them. This was purchased in 1899. In 1904 another purchase of sixty-five acres was made, and today Mr. McCormick and his sons own three hundred and four acres of very valuable and productive land in Canaan township.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. McCormick have been born four sons and four daughters: Mary, who is acting as housekeeper for her brothers; Charles, who died at the age of seven years; Elizabeth, the wife of Edward Fitzpatrick, a resident of New London township; John, who died at the age of four years; Jane, the wife of Joseph Hurley, who is engaged in the real-estate business in connection with Dennis Marony in Mount Pleasant; Francis J., also of Canaan township; Margaret, the wife of John Fitzpatrick, of New London township, and Emmet B., likewise of Canaan township. All of the children were born in the township where the family home is still maintained.

Mr. McCormick belongs to the Catholic church of Mount Pleasant and helped to build the present structure and as his means have increased he has been a liberal supporter and he votes with the democracy. He has never had occasion to regret his determination to seek a home in America, for he here found the opportunities he sought and by judicious use of these he has made steady advancement in business life until he is today the owner of valuable landed possessions in his adopted country.

Hon. Washington Mullen is the owner of one of the productive farms of Scott township, whose excellent location is also one of its attractive features. He is one of the enterprising and energetic agriculturists of the community and moreover is well known in political circles, being recognized as one of the prominent workers in the Republican party. A native of Ohio , his birth occurred in Montgomery county on the 30 th of June, 1838 , and he is descended from Virginia ancestry.

His paternal grandfather was Isaac Mullen, who was born in the Old Dominion and was married there to Miss Elizabeth Haynes, a native of the same state. They removed to Warren county, Ohio , where Nathan Mullen, father of our subject, was born and reared. Having reached man's estate he wedded Miss Mary A. Borton, who was born in New Jersey , as were her parents, Edward and Mary ( Braddock ) Borton. For some time Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Mullen resided in Montgomery county, Ohio , and then thinking to have better business opportunities in Iowa , they started for Henry county, traveling by rail to New London . At the same time Washington Mullen came by boat on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, landing at Keokuk and bringing with him the household goods and live stock belonging to his father. He then drove across the country from Keokuk to Mount Pleasant , where the family remained until October, when they took up their abode in Trenton , Henry county, the parents there residing until 1859. In that year they returned to Ohio, continuing their residence in the Buckeye state until called to their final rest, Mr. Mullen departing this life in 1881, while his wife survived until 1894. In their family were ten children, three sons and seven daughters, of whom Washington Mullen is the eldest. One brother and three sisters still survive, the brother and two of the sisters being residents of Ohio , while one sister makes her home in Salt Lake City , Utah .

Washington Mullen pursued his education in the public schools of Ohio which he attended until seventeen years of age, when he came to Iowa , as before described. In May, 1856, his father purchased a farm of one hundred and sixty acres situated in the northwest part of Scott township. Eighty acres of this has since been sold and subdivided as town lots of Winfield, while the remaining eighty acres is still devoted to farm purposes. Mr. Mullen of this review returned to Ohio with his parents and remained for six months, but he was pleased with the west and its business opportunities and returned to Henry county, where he purchased the farm his father owned. There was a house of two rooms upon the place which is now used as a corn crib and in that little home he took up his abode. In the fall of 1862 he built a barn, twenty-four by thirty-four feet, and in 1879 he replaced his first house by a large ten-room residence built in modern style of architecture and supplied with many modern equipments and conveniences. He has enclosed the farm with a fence and has the entire place well tiled. There are two hundred rods of hedge fence upon the place, while the remainder is woven wire. He also has a cattle barn, thirty-two by seventy feet, built in 1893, which is also used for hay. A deep well, seventy-two feet, furnishes an abundant supply of water which is pumped by a windmill. His farm is most conveniently located and is unsurpassed in productiveness by any tract of land in the county. The entire place lies within the corporation limits of Winfield, but he is exempt from village taxation. Everything about his place presents a well kept appearance, indicating the careful supervision of the owner, who is practical and systematic in his business methods, energetic and determined in all that he undertakes.

On the 6 th of October, 1859, was celebrated the marriage of Washington Mullen and Miss Elizabeth Felgar, who was born in Allen county, Ohio, and with her parents came to Henry county several years before the arrival of Mr. Mullen. She pursued her education in the common schools of Iowa and is a daughter of Samuel and Lucretia ( Trout ) Felgar, both of whom were natives of Washington county, Pennsylvania . On emigrating westward they took up land in Trenton township, Henry county, and were pioneer residents of the state, where they continued to reside until her death. Mr. Felgar assisted in the early improvement and development of Henry county and aided in planting the seeds for the future growth and progress.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Mullen were born the following named: Lucinda, the wife of J. W. James, an attorney of Hastings, Nebraska; Alberta, who married George Keeper, who is a farmer of Scott township; Mary A., the wife of John A. Baxter, a lumber dealer of Winfield; Henry and Harrison, twins, who died at the age of three months; and Virginia, who married Fred Gilyert, who resides upon her father's farm. The wife and mother died February 5, 1901 , and her remains were laid to rest in Winfield cemetery. Mrs. Mullen was an estimable lady, who, during the long years of her residence in Henry county had made many friends, so that her death was deeply regretted.

While carefully and successfully controlling his business interests, Mr. Mullen has at the same time found opportunity to faithfully discharge his duties of citizenship and moreover has taken an active and helpful interest in public affairs. He is a standard advocate of republican principles and has been called to all of the township offices save that of assessor. He is active in the work of the party, his efforts being far-reaching and beneficial and in 1897 he was called to represent his district in the twenty-sixth general assembly of Iowa, where he served as a capable member, giving to each question careful and earnest consideration and supporting with all his strength the measures which he deemed would prove of public benefit or opposing in equally strong manner every interest that he believed would be detrimental to the good of county or commonwealth. He is justly classed with the representative men of Henry county and has a wide and favorable acquaintance among the leading citizens of this and other portions of the state.