Portrait and Biographical Album of Henry County, Iowa
Unless otherwise specified, biographies submitted by Pat Ryan White.
among the oldest and best known citizens of Henry County. He was born in Sussex
Co., Del., Apr 2, 1816, and is a son of Robert and Hannah (Hazard) Campbell,
both natives of the same state, where their whole lives were passed. They were
the parents of four sons and three daughters who grew up. Besides the subject of
this sketch, one other member of this family is now living, a brother, John S.,
who is now in his 77th year and is a resident of Pasadena, CA. Both of his
parents died when Alfred J. was six years old, and he went to live with older
brothers and sisters. He received such education as the schools of that day
afforded, and was reared on a farm until he was 14 years old, when he came West
with an older brother, William H., who kept a general store at Shelbyville, IN.
He was in his brother's employ for eight years, when he began on his own account
in the same town. Two years later he began trading in the South, and sometimes
clerking, usually spending the summers in the North.
breaking out of the Mexican War, Mr. Campbell enlisted in the 3rd IN Volunteers
under Capt. Sullivan, their Colonel being the celebrated James H. Lane, of KS
border war fame. He participated in the battle of Buena Vista, fought by Gen.
Taylor against tremendous odds, and which was one of the most brilliant
victories of that war.
return, he again settled in Shelby Co., IN. Mr. Campbell was married in Sept.
1839, at Dayton, OH, to Miss Mary Sullivan, who died in July 1848. The fruit of
this union was one child who died in infancy. In Sept. 1849, Mr. Campbell was
married to Mrs. Prudence Lockhart, widow of Benjamin Lockhart, of Ripley Co.,
IN, who died July 15, 1848. This couple had no children.
Mr. and Mrs. Campbell emigrated to Iowa, settling on a farm in Henry Co., on
which he lived for 20 years. In 1873 he retired from active life on the farm and
removed to his present home in Mt. Pleasant. In early life Mr. Campbell was with
the Democratic Party, but on the breaking out of the Rebellion he joined the
ranks of the Republicans with whom he has ever since affiliated. He is not a
member of any denomination and his wife is a member of the Christian Church. Mr.
Campbell commands the respect of his fellowmen.
born in Muskingum Co., OH April 7, 1825, the son of Isaac G. and Harriet (Josselyn)
Carter, who were both natives of Waldo Co., ME who went to Muskingum Co., OH
when quite young and were married Dec. 16, 1819 in Perry Co., OH.
G. Carter was the son of Isaac P. Carter and Joanna Gay, and was was born Sept.
6, 1797. His wife was born Jan. 9, 1802 and was the
daughter of Joshua and Sarah (Chapman) Josselyn.
Mrs. Carter had a family of 10 sons, the first of whom died in infancy. Ira J.
resided on the old homestead in Grant Co., IN; Howard, our subject,was third in
birth order; Joseph is a
farmer in Grant Co., IN; Elijah is blacksmith in Jonesboro, Grant Co.,
IN; John H. is a merchant of New Cumberland, Grant Co., IN; Albert died at age
two; Lewis is a farmer in Grant Co., IN;
Oliver died at age 24, and Alfred died in infancy. The 7 oldest were born
in Muskingum Co., OH, and the next three in Grant Co., Indiana.
married Eleanor Lyon on Feb. 18, 1851. She was born in Ohio Jan. 22, 1831, in
had 9 children:
Nancy M., b. Grant Co., IN in 1852 and married William H. Snell; Sarah J.
was born 1853 and married John Seberg of NE; harriet J. was born 1855, and died
1870; Leroy P. was born 1857 and resides in Minnesota; Rhoda C. was born 1858
and married Frank Tallman, of KS; M. Alice was born 1860 and resides at home;
William E. was born 1862, and died 1887; George H. was born 1865, and Eva I.
born in 1867 and married Alfred H. Anderson.
soldier of the War of 1812, he was born Feb. 18, 1795. He was married to Miss
Eliza Kenyon, who was born in 1805. They were the happy parents of six children,
four of who are now living, viz: James K. is a resident of Los Gatos, Cal.;
Thomas B., a Sergeant in the late Rebellion, he was taken
prisoner at the battle of Shiloh and confined at Macon, GA., and is now
living in Burlington, IA.; Hon. Joseph H. was in the Michigan Cavalry, and
served through the war and drilled a company of colored men, of which he
was Captain; Mary M. is the wife of B. C. Chandler and lives in Mt. Pleasant.
Two, Edwin and Martha, are deceased. The mother finished her work on earth Nov.
Chandler still resides in Mt. Pleasant, and is a man worthy of the deepest
respect and love of all. Though ninety-three years of age, he is in
full possession of all his faculties.
Job Codner, a farmer residing at New London Village, has a finely improved farm of 205 acres adjoining the east city limits, another of seventy-seven acres in the same township, besides forty acres of good timber. Mr. Codner was born at Athens, Athens Co., Ohio, in December, 1820. His father, John C. Codner, was a large land-owner in that county, but was born in Rhode Island, his parents being of French descent. The name originally was Cadnea, but was changed to Codner by the founder of the family in America. John Chaplin Codner, our subject's father, was a farmer by occupation, and died in 1823, when his son Job was in his fourth year. His wife, Job's mother, was Fanny Tillinghast before marriage. She was also born in Rhode Island, and was of English descent. Her death occurred in 1828. Left an orphan at the age of eight years, Job was placed in the care of a widow, Mrs. Esther Miller Mingham, a Connecticut woman of sterling practical sense and kind heart, and under her judicious care Job was reared to industrious, frugal habits, and taught to be truthful, upright and honest. Mr. Codner still reveres the memory of his foster mother as one who did much to lay the foundation of a character that has aided him materially in his successful business career.
Mr. Codner was married at Athens, Ohio, to a "maid of Athens," Miss Hannah Raynor Graham, daughter of Josiah and Clarissa (Raynor) Graham, a native of Athens. Mrs. Codner's father was born in Scotland during a brief sojourn of his parents in that country while refugees from the North of Ireland during the Irish rebellion. His people were Scotch-Irish of the old-school Presbyterian sort. He emigrated to America in his youth, and married Miss Clarissa Raynor on Long Island. Mrs. Graham was born on Long Island and was of Scotch parentage.
Mr. and Mrs. Codner have two children, sons: Henry Hayes, born near West Point, Lee Co., Iowa, Nov. 17, 1850, who is a farmer of New London Township; the younger son, John C., was also born near West Point, Iowa, on the 6th of April, 1855, and is married to Lillie Biesen, and is a farmer of New London Township, where he has a well-improved farm of eighty-one acres. Mr. and Mrs. John C. Codner have three children, two daughters and a son: Irena Maude, born Sept. 16, 1882; Mabel May, born Dec. 5, 1884, and Leroy Champlin, born Sept. 3, 1887. Mr. Codner came to Iowa in 1847, purchasing a farm in Lee County and then returning to Ohio. He sold his land soon afterward, but returned to Iowa with his family in 1850, and purchased another farm near West Point, Lee County, which he improved and cultivated until 1864. He then came to Henry County, locating in New London Village, and one year later purchased a farm in New London Township and again engaged in tilling the soil. Having a turn for speculation, and possessing a good knowledge of values, he sold and bought several farms in rapid succession, making money by every transfer. In 1878 he purchased the farm of 205 acres near the east village limits which he still owns, and the elegant residence in the village, his present home. Mr. Codner has not confined himself strictly to farm life, but has traveled over the world more or less. In 1856 he made a trip to Texas, going overland through the Indian Territory. He left home in September, 1856, spent the winter in Texas and returned via the Red River, Louisiana, Arkansas and Missouri. While in North Missouri he was stricken with Spanish or yellow fever and came near dying. He reached home on the 25th of May, 1857. On the 16th of September, 1869, he started with his family for a cruise to the Pacific Slope, spent two months in California, visiting San Fsancisco and other chief points of interest, and then returned to Iowa. In his younger days he was an old-line Whig, and on the formation of the Republican party, joined that organization, and has since been an earnest supporter of the party. Mr. and Mrs. Codner are members of the Baptist Church, and are highly respected by that society and by the entire community in which they make their home.
Transcriber's Note: Spelling is "Fsancisco" in original text.
Robert S. Cole, deceased, a prominent citizen of
Henry County, was born in Dearborn County, Ind., Nov.. 23, 1822. His parents
were Solomon and Sarah (Remy) Cole. His father was a native of Maryland, born of
English parents, his mother was of French descent. Solomon Cole was a practical
farmer and teacher, and was a man of superior ability and culture. His family
consisted of a wife and nine children, of whom our subject was the third. They
came to Iowa by teams, in 1851. The father was a confirmed invalid at the time,
and the elder sons took all the responsibility and care of the family. On coming
to this county the family purchased 250 acres of land, situated about twelve
miles north of Mt. Pleasant. The title of one-half of this property was vested
in the parents' name, and one-half in the names of James W. and Robert S., the
elder sons. There the sons prepared a home for their parents, and cared for them
during the remainder of their lives. They conducted the business of the farm and
raised stock until 1849, when they removed to the city of Mt. Pleasant, and
engaged in the lightning rod and pump business. Their first order was for $50
worth of lightning rods. The remittance of $50 was lost, but they received the
rods. This business was established by J.W. and R.S. Cole. They soon added the
manufacture of pumps to their trade, the work being done at Greencastle, Ind.
Their venture was successful from the start, and they rapidly extended their
line of operations. Two younger brothers, William and John, were admitted to the
partnership, and in 1865 they formed and incorporated a company for the
continuance of the business, with a paid-up capital of $30,000. They formed a
limited partnership with their employes, establishing branch sale stations
extending through Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, and other States, having in all at one
time fourteen branch stations, and employing from 150 to 200 men. At the
expiration of the limit of the first corporation, in 1875, they formed a new
corporation with a paid-up capital of $200,000. The Cole Brothers built up an
immense business, and enjoyed a reputation for fair dealing and good work that
marked a new era in the pump and lightning rod business. The elder brothers, J.W.
and R.S., were associated in business twenty-five years before they had a
settlement. During all that time their business relations were so harmonious and
satisfactory that they had no unpleasantness whatever. They had everything in
common, and although each of them had families, they had no separate accounts.
Robert S. Cole, the subject of this sketch, was
married near Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, Dec. 24, 1846, to Miss Mary Jane Hutton,
daughter of Rev. Samuel Hutton, an early and highly respected pioneer of Henry
County. Her mother's maiden name was Mary Levi. She was born in North Carolina,
and was of German descent. Mrs. Cole's father was born in Pennsylvania, and he
was also of German descent. He was a minister of the Baptist Church, and did
much preaching in the West. Mrs. Cole was born in Sangamon County, Ill., Sept
27, 1827. Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Cole, five daughters and
three sons: Anna E. is the widow of Edward O. Boone and is a teacher in the
Indian Territory; she has one child a son, Victor C.; Sarah J. is the wife of
William Ridpath, an attorney of Brazil, Ind., they have three children; Laura M.
resides with her mother; Hayden R. died Oct. 6, 1876, aged twenty-one years;
William T. married Annie Maxwell, and resides at Council Bluffs, Iowa; Jay S. is
engaged in the lightning rod business at Greencastle, Ind.; Mary and Minnie
reside with their mother.
Mr. Cole continued to reside at Mt. Pleasant
until 1880, when he removed to Council Bluffs, where he purchased the interest
of one of their branch partners, and carried on the business at that point until
the time of his death, Feb. 28, 1884. After his death his heirs parted with
their interest in the business to Mr. Cole's brothers, Jan. 1, 1887.
Mr. Cole united with the Baptist Church when he
was a youth, and was a zealous Christian during his life, prompt and liberal in
support of the church and of missions, and charitable and kind to the poor and
distressed. He was a philanthropist in the broadest sense of the word. He
contributed liberally to the erection of the Baptist Church at Mt. Pleasant, and
after having removed to Council Bluffs he made a liberal donation to repair the
church after it was wrecked by a cyclone. He also took an active part in behalf
of the church at Council Bluffs, and was foremost in all good works. A man whose
word was regarded as inviolate, he enjoyed an enviable reputation in the
community. After his death his widow and three daughters resided in Council
Bluffs until July, 1887, when they returned to Mt. Pleasant, to the home which
Mr. Cole had made in that city, which they had never parted with, and which is a
commodious and comfortable residence.
He is a
farmer in Baltimore Twp. The Collins family came from Indiana to this county in
1850. Henry B. Collins, the father of our subject, was born in NY, and his wife,
Catherine Shannon, in Pennsylvania. They were married in Ohio Co., IN where our
subject, the eldest son, was born. His birth was followed by that of Adelia,
wife of Robert Wood; William who wedded Rachel Bunker; George, husband of Ella
Shelledy; Mary, wife of R. T. Wood; Julia, deceased, wife of Jonathan Bunker;
Deborah J., wife of Stephen Shelledy; Olive B., wife of John Grubb; Margaret,
wife of George Hannah, which comprised the family. Henry's children all reside
in Henry Co., except for Mary who resides in Webster Co.
Henry came to this county he purchased 206 acres on Sect. 30, Baltimore Twp., on
which his son George resides. Henry B. Collins died July 30, 1877, aged 68, and
his widow died Apr. 26, 1886. Our subject was born Jan. 5, 1838, and
married in 1859 to Miss Phoebe E. Kent of Lee County. She was born Nov. 22, 1842
in Montgomery Co., Ohio. Her parents are H. Tapley and Cynthia (Crossley) Kent.
They came from Montgomery Co., OH in 1856 to Lee County. Her mother is still
living in Cawker City, KS, and of their children, three sons and one daughter:
William married Emma Glover; Theodore married Lizzie Carmichael; Ross is
unmarried and resides in the West, and Phoebe is the wife of John Collins.
his marriage, John has been a farmer four years in Lee County, one winter in KS,
one in Mills Co., Iowa and the rest of his married life has been passed in Henry
have 8 children: Lucy M. wife of Adam Myers; William; Annie, Bertha,
Tapley, Belle, Thurman and Frank. William is now a teacher in KS, and
with Annie and Bertha completed a course at the Denmark Academy. Annie
is now teaching in Cawker City, KS. In company with his brother
George, a dairy was established on the H. B. Collins farm in June 1887.
The capacity of the cheese factory is 150 pounds a day, and they are
using fifty cows in the dairy.
HENRY COOK submitted by Richard Barton
HENRY COOK, a farmer of Henry County, residing in Baltimore Township, was born near Bealfeldt, Prussia, in 1836. His parents, Casper and Elizabeth Cook, were both born, reared and married in that country, and there they reared a family of five children, and the widows of two of the sons yet reside there. Casper Cook was a shoemaker, and worked at the trade during his lifetime. His children were Fred, Henry, Annie, William and Casper.
Our subject left Prussia when a lad of sixteen years, in company with his Uncle Bremger, who settled in Burlington, Iowa, and lived and died there. Only a few dollars were in the pockets of our subject when he landed in Burlington, but he at once secured work on a farm at $4 per month. For seven years he worked in that county, and when his marriage was celebrated in 1860 he was worth all told $126. His wife was Mary A. Hand, a lady possessing an equal amount of energy as Mr. Cook, so they concluded to rent a farm near the city, and from the day they were married prosperity has been with them and has come to stay. Who can say that it was not due to the good counsels and associations with a good wife, for from the time they began their united efforts they have reared a fine family of industrious children, and have become owners of a splendid farm; all this, too, in a few years. After a residence in Des Moines County of fourteen years Mr. Cook became a resident of Henry County, and purchased eighty acres of land, on which he now resides, that had once been cleared, but had gone back to brush. He built a small frame house and commenced work, and from four in the morning until ten at night he could be found digging and clearing. A few years later, having brought his first purchase to paying good returns on the investment, he bought other lands, cleared them in the same way, and now has 230 broad acres all in fine order, over 100 in cultivation. All his money has been invested in improvements and land, and his fine house and barn are the best between New London and Lowell. The nice orchard was planted and the well planned arrangements of house and barn were perfected by him. Surely, Mr. Cook and his good wife are entitled to much credit for such enterprise, and as their children have grown to man and womanhood, they have been taught the same convictions of right and honesty of purpose possessed by their parents.
The names of the children are: Olive L., wife of Charles Ranes; Edward H., Horace C., Lyman, Martha E. and Florence. The unmarried five children live in a magnificent home with their beloved parents, who are regarded by their neighbors as a model couple. Both are members of the Christian Church, and as a family we learn of none who are more worthy and entitled to greater honor for having, during a quarter of a century, achieved a competence. Their home is supplied with all that makes life enjoyable. Flowers fill the room with fragrance, and the neatest of housewives makes welcome her guests in that cordial manner for which the family are noted. Mr. Cook is largely engaged in raising of stock, and year by year his income becomes greater. With his indomitable energy, ten years more of active labor will rank him among the wealthiest men of his township, and his reward is and will be a fitting recompense for that labor.
OBADIAH HARRIS COOK submitted by Richard Barton
OBADIAH HARRIS COOK, a resident of section 36, Salem Township, was born in Preble County, Ohio, in 1834, and is a son of Nathan and Sarah (Denny) Cook. The paternal ancestors were of English origin, and the maternal of Irish. The union of the couple named was celebrated in Ohio, but Nathan and his second wife, the mother of O. H., came from the Carolinas, where both were born. They cleared a farm in Preble County and upon that farm their children were all born. The first wife, who was a Miss Comer, bore two children: Jonathan, who is wedded to Susannah Beason, and Martha, the wife of Samuel Maddock. After the death of the first wife Nathan married Sarah Denny, who in that State bore Elizabeth, now wife of Henry Lamm; William, who wedded Lucinda Bales; Susannah, wife of Wheeler Davis; Isaac, husband of Mary J. Bishop; Hannah wedded first to Cyrus Coffin, and after his death, married Jabez B. Smith; Charity married David Thatcher; Eli, unmarried, finds a home with our subject; Henry W., deceased, was married to Laura Davis; then came our subject, followed by the birth of Louisa, deceased; Elihu, who is married to Mary Pope, and Eliza and Amos, who died unmarried. In 1839 the parents came to this county, and made a location upon the same farm now owned and tilled by his son. This was then in its virgin state, but the Quaker family soon made it a fine farm, and upon the new land splendid crops grew. Nathan paid Gideon Frasier $7 per acre at that early day for part of the farm, entering the east eighty acres. Upon this farm both the father and mother died, she at the age of seventy, and he at eighty-six. The historian has learned much of their goodness, and finds it only necessary to state that their children have proved themselves worthy of such parents. From the age of five years our subject grew to manhood on the farm, and at the age of twenty-two Miss Elizabeth Fisher became his wife. She was the daughter of John and Esther Fisher, who emigrated from New Jersey to this State in 1842, and made a location at Ft. Madison. J. Fisher, Jr., a brother, was for a number of years engaged in business in Salem, leaving that village in 1887 for Clarinda, Iowa. Another brother, Alexander, is still in business in Salem. There was a large number of children born to Mr. Fisher, who was twice married. The second wife was Eliza Jane Alterman, both bearing children to him.
The marriage of our subject to Miss Fisher was celebrated April 17, 1856. Their domestic life was begun and has been continued upon the old home, and their children have all been born in the roomy old mansion: Amos E. wedded Florence Rice; Edwin W., Clifton H. and Cora B. are unmarried. The two eldest children are now in business. Amos graduated in law at Iowa City, and is a practicing attorney at Malvern, Iowa; Edwin graduated in medicine at Iowa City, and is a resident physician of Plattsmouth, Neb; Clifton graduated in stenography at Iowa City the winter of 1887; Cora is completing her education, and makes the old home cheerful by her presence. Mr. Cook has served his township in positions of trust for several years. He has been one of the energetic men who have aided in making this one of the noteworthy counties of Southeastern Iowa. Through the endeavors of Mr. Cook, George W. Tyner and X. H. Arnold, the Salem District Fair has been made a success, and in 1887, the third year, was largely attended. The premium list awarded was $25O, and Mr. Cook is now upon his second term as President of the society. The grading and breeding of stock are largely due to such enterprise, and to such men we are pleased to give proper credit. As a man and citizen Mr. Cook justly holds a front rank in Salem Township.
WILLIAM A. CRABTREE is a prominent farmer and stock-raiser of Henry County, Iowa, residing upon section 3, Marion Township. He was born in Monroe County Ky., Jan. 24, 1827. His parents were Hiram and Margaret (Johnson) Crabtree. They were natives of Virginia, but were married in Kentucky, where ten children were born to them, six of whom are now living: Abraham married Miss Lucinda Murphy; they reside on a farm in Mercer County, Ill., and have a family of seven children. John M. was united in marriage with Melinda King; he is a farmer in Tazewell County, Ill. Elizabeth, who is the widow of John S. Hamilton, resides in Scott County, Ill.; Mary is the wife of S.H. Redman, a nurseryman in Villisca, Iowa, who for a number of years ran a steam ferry at Keithsburg, Ill.; Michael died in 1862, in Scott County, Ill.; Hiram died at Nashville, Tenn., while fighting for his country; Stephen is farming in Tazewell County, Ill.; Catherine, the widow of W.A. Kirkpatrick, is residing in Scott County, Ill.; our subject is tenth in order of birth. In the year 1830 Mr. Crabtree emigrated with his family to Illinois, locating in what was at that time Morgan County, but which has since been divided, they living in the part known as Scott County. Here the children grew to man and womanhood, except one child who died in infancy. Here the parents both departed this life, the father dying Sept. 13, 1844, at the age of seventy-one; his wife following him to that home of the redeemed on the 22d of June, 1868, at the age of eighty-three. They were devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Mr. Crabtree being a local minister. He was one who did much to civilize and christianize the new community in which he lived.
On account of the death of his father, our subject was compelled to take charge of the farm and care for the family, and for one so young, he being but seventeen, it was a great responsibility. His education was received in such spare moments as he could find from farm work. He remained in charge of the farm until the age of twenty-two, then going to Winchester he learned the trade of plow stocking and carpentering. Making Winchester his home, he followed that trade for twenty-one years, or until the year 1870, when he came to Henry County. Buying 360 acres of land on sections 3 and 4, of Marion Township, he has since given his attention to farming and stock-raising. Mr. Crabtree was united in marriage with Miss Eliza A. Martin, on the 6th of August, 1854, in Scott County, Ill. She is the daughter of Samuel and Susan (Sisson) Martin, who were natives of Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Crabtree are the parents of four children: Dora, who died in infancy; Nettie Belle, who was born in 1857, is the wife of Winfield S. Hickman, a farmer of Frontier County, Neb.; they have one son, Frederick G. Charles L. was united in marriage with Miss Estella Foster, who is a native of Henry County, Iowa. They are the happy parents of one child, Edmund C. These three children were born in Scott County, Ill.; William H., their fourth child, was born in Henry County.
Mr. and Mrs. Crabtree
are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, taking an active interest
in all church work. They are highly respected in the community in which
they reside, and are always ready to advance an enterprise that is for
the public good. Mr. Crabtree has held various township offices, both
in Illinois and Iowa, and has been Assessor for two years. Politically
he is a Republican, but in favor of prohibition.